Fixed Gear - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fixed GearFixed Gear

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-24-2010

2.35/5  rDev -38%

Ok, another random pick from a local market. Looks and smells like beer. Took a swig and got punched in the mouth with hops. Hate it. Just another bottle of carbonated hop-water. Really, is this the only standard for American micro-brews? Go hop heavy and forget anything else? If you're a hophead this beer is for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere. (346 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured into tulip

A: A heavy pour leaves me with a pretty clear amber beer with streaming bubbles and a two inch beige head with large bubbles that slowly pop and decrease the height of the head.

S: The aroma is a very even blend of sweet malts and citrus hops. The citrus is forward but soft, very grapefruit like and the malts impart a definite caramel aroma. There's also some strange spiciness in the smell.

T: The flavor is quite muted. Not what I was expecting. It starts with some of that spiciness and grapefruit but then quickly turns sweet and finally leaves an unfavorable aftertaste of cracker. It's completely awful but based of the smell I thought it would have a little more punch.

M: Possibly the weirdest part about this brew. I don't know if they intended on making it lighter than most in it's style so bikers could chug it after a ride but it's a little off putting. It's very bubbly on the tongue and then finishes disappointingly thin.

D: Below average. The body is drinkable but the flavor is not something I would want to experience much more than this bottle.

O: I gotta say the name/label caught my eye and I probably wouldn't have bought this beer otherwise. As far as the beer goes, I feel as if it is very forgettable and I'm glad I have a Lagunitas Lucky 13 in the fridge and I live in the state of Surly Furious. Won't buy again. (1,367 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

From the other reviews I read and being a fan of the red/Amber family, I think I may have gotten an "off" batch. Instead of a crisp hoppy flavor, I get an almost soapy and flat taste. Enjoyed the other Lakefront brews from the sample pack, so I may have to try this one alone. (276 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a hazy copper that turns to mahogany when shadowed. A two-finger ecru head collapses into lumps and leaves just a bit of lacing.

S: A soapy cardboard scent fills the air around the glass during the pour - not a good start. A good whiff reveals juniper hops that are less stale and slightly more citrus than the first scent indicated. A bready, caramel malt emerges as the beer warms.

T: A mouth full of hops, somewhat offset by a good dose of nutty, roasted malt. Overall, pretty straightforward: lots of hops. Slightly sweet, with a bitter finish.

M: Medium-bodied, medium astringency, dry finish.

Personally, I don't prefer aggressively hoppy reds, though this is by no means a beer I'd pour out. It would be better if it found a better balance between malt and hop. Would probably not buy again. (811 characters)

10/17/12 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Reminds me of ESBs from UK. Leaned hoppy from a straight ahead bitter, yet not quite to the IPA stage. Not bad, but off the mark for my un-hoppy tastes. (190 characters)

On tap.
The color is on the lighter side of red, like a orange amber color more then anything. There is a dense cap.
The aroma is on the sweeter side of the spectrum,some esters and fruits.
The flavors made me think of caramel apples. Once again on the sweeter side with a mellow hop presence that offers light esters and citrus.
The mouthfeel is full and silky, most likely from the serving being from tap.

A decent enough beer to get for my Friday fish and chips outings, but i normally don't have much to choose from. (522 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Dark copper red, poured one finger head from bottle. Dissipated to a thin residual head quickly.

S - Pecan with a hint of citrus on the nose, fairly subdued aroma.

T - Hop bitterness apparent upfront alongside malts, quickly takes over then disappears. Hops are a pronounced for a red and dominate the finish.

M - Doesn't have the smoothness I was looking for, carbonation seems a little sharp.

O - A decent red ale with a good amount of hops, I had this beer a while back on tap and enjoyed the mouthfeel a lot more than I did today. Not bad. (551 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

12 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a chill hazed amber color with a nearly white, thin head of 1.5 fingers. Retention is poor. Meh.

S - Piney hops notes, caramel, grapefruit, and crystal malt. A bit hoppier than I was expecting, but pretty pleasant all together. Mild to medium strength.

T - Bold dry hopping lends an overbearing hops presence to this one. Resinous pine masks much of the malt character. Balanced extremely poorly (at least for the style). I can appreciate the style deviation, but this one's not built very well.

M - Smooth and wet. Light to medium bodied.

D - This one'll satisfy those looking for a prominent hops presence (albeit an imbalanced one). I'll pass on it in the future though. (744 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19.3%

Huge thanks go out to BeerFMAndy for this bottle!

Bottled the 3rd week of February, 2010.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dense cloudy dark amber with a large rocky tan head on top. This head retains as well as any that I have seen. Lots of sticky lace and webbing clings to the glass. The nose is a bit underwhelming. I expected a sharp hoppy scent, but this carries some mild citrus, toast, and toffee. Nothing stands out though.

Like the nose, the body is a slight disappointment. It's somewhat creamy and smooth, but it's a little thin. The carbonation level is low-to-moderate. Hopefully the flavor will make up for the shortcomings. Hmm. Not so much. There's some orange zest noted, finishes a little tart and sour. A nice sweet balance in there with hints of caramel and toffee. Bitterness is low.

This really wasn't what I was expecting. I guess my scores correspond to my expectations. Maybe I need to go into each beer with no preconceived notions (?). Still, it was decent, just underwhelming is all. Thanks again, Andy! (1,044 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

Appearance - Medium dark copper to amber. Hazy. Medium tall, off white head. Good persistence.

Smell - Mild medium roasted malts. Fairly prominent citrus hops. Hops more apparent than the malt.

Taste - Hint of sweet medium roasted malt. Toasty and caramel. Overpowered by heavy dose of grapefruity hops. Seems a little out of balance for a red ale. Flavor's not bad, though, seems a bit one note.

Mouthfeel - Medium.

Overall - I wouldn't expect the beer from its label. And I'd be disappointed if I were looking for a red ale. (530 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: red (duh). Hazy, not much of a off white head to speak of.
Smell: pleasant though a little nondescript. Some malt, a little fruit, a bit of a hop zing.
Taste: gonna punt as it's just as the nose would suggest though with even less zing.
Another decent brew that seems less than stellar with all the other great beers available. (339 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -17.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was amber colored even though it really is a red ale. Who cares right? The beer had a tan head and the beer had a great smell of vanilla. The beer was nice and clean tasting with a very faint vanilla taste on the initial hit. I think I will give this beer another shot. (328 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a glass.

Pours a thick creamy head that dissipates quickly leaving bits of itself along the glass to remind you it was there there.
Color is a cloudy golden amber with particles of "flavor" floating around. Looks delicious.

Smell is good although a bit bland. An obvious odor of hops with a variety of citrus notes and a hint of other fruits. The beer isn't particularly aromatic.

Initial taste met with a warm rendition of the odor which disappears quickly which turns into a neuteral flavor before ending with a slightly Carmel like flavor. The aftertaste is a somewhat unpleasant bitter hop flavor. At least the beer has the ability to leave a flavor in you mouth but if it only had the decency to leave a good one.

The beer isn't bad but not good enough for me to want to pay money for it. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me though. (882 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass

A - Pours a pale red brown with healthy white head but weak retention

S - Mild hop presence a little floral and citric. Sweet bread aroma

T - Lots of hops, piney and citric but very little to no malt flavor an unusual blend for the style. Lacking balance no toasted character.

M - Light body and easy drinking just not much reward I am afraid

O - It is bold as the label says but not one I would repeat. (447 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on 9/25/13. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy dark copper; small off-white head that leaves nice retention and decent lacing. The aromas are full of caramel malts. There are some hints of orange peel, but this is all malts. Flavors are loaded with caramel. Subtle hints of pine. Very subtle hints of grapefruit and orange. It's not too bitter. Definitely on the sweeter side. There's not much pop to this one. The mouthfeel is wonderful and definitely the stand out to me. It's extremely creamy and smooth; perfect amount of active carbonation; medium-bodied. Very smooth. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This is a solid red ale, but nothing too exciting. (673 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Redish/ Orange color, with a cloudiness to it. When Poured it had a think rich head.

S: It had Fruity notes that stand out.

T: The hops give the beer a bite on the tongue that adds texture to the beer and a flavoring that makes it stand out. I also noticed a little bit of a flowering notes in the beer (308 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

At the Safe House in Milwaukee

A - Amber color with red notes. Tan foam settles quickly. Nice lacing.

S - Scents of caramel malt, berries, and wood. Complex and inviting.

T - Disappointing. The flavor uderwhlems compared to the scent. Comes off a bit too heavy in malt for my liking. Off-balance or off-flavor.

M - Just too heavy to like. Not sure why, but it felt like a robust beer that shouldn't be one. I had truble finsihing this.

O - I'd pass. Was hoping for more but got an amber that was heavier than my meal. I think I'll pass on Lakefront for now. (563 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont. Bottled last September. Reviewed live.

A- One-finger cream head. Semi-hazy walnut body with moderate clarity. Retention on the head is rather low, only about one minute. Some thin lacing is left when agitated. Decent looking beer.

S- Caramel maltiness, semi-dark fruits. Rich and dark for a red ale. Some earthy hops.

T- Metallic bitterness from the hops, some caramel malts. Rather undeveloped flavor, but not bad.

M- Creamy and surprisingly thick. Nice feel!

O- Not a great beer, but has a nice feel. (589 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. This is the first beer I have tried from Lakefront Brewery.

A - The offering pours mahogany red in color. About what you would expect for a "red ale". Slightly cloudy with a fair amount of puffy beige head.

S - Grapefruit, faint grass, sweet malts and a hint of pineapple are all apparent in the smell. Neither the smell of the hops or the malts is over the top. Based on the smell alone, it seems like this might be a well-balanced brew.

T - Much like the smell, the taste is a nice balance of grassy/citrusy hops and malts (caramel). The hops bitterness fades quickly and does not linger on the palate. There is nothing overwhelming about the taste, but never the less it is enjoyable.

M - Mouth feel was a bit light and watery. There was not a whole lot of carbonation going on in this brew either. I would personally like a bit more carbonation.

D - Overall, I would characterize Fixed Gear as drinkable. Again, there is not any one specific characteristic that sticks out in the beer. It is simply an easy drinking red ale. A nice change from some of the more extreme beers that are currently out there. (1,155 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%

Deep garnet in color, Slight chill haze.
Initially poured a massive voluminous head but disapated qucikly leaving a spidery tan lace.

Taste was slightly spicy, with hints of butter.

Medium bodied with a light mouthfeel, yet a glimmer of clinginess.

Dry finish with a hint of sour white grapes aroma is spicy.

Overall this beer was okay. It wasn't underwhelming, but nothing really stuck out about it that would make me want to have another. Not bad, but not great either. Middle of the road.l (499 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%

From the 88 Sampler.

A: A large, tightly packed head sits on a reddish-orange body that is pretty, but not perfectly, clear. Just a tiny bit of active carbonation. Way too much head on this beer and it just won't go away.

S: Much hoppier than traditional American ambers, but on par with today. The bottle says 42IBUs, if I had to guess I would have gone higher. It's a sharp citrusy aroma, very much orange/grapefruit. I'd like a little more malt, this is bordering on Pale Ale.

T: The taste mostly follows through with the aroma, but I get an almost sulphuric or mettalix taste, similar to, but distinct from skunking. Still, there's next to no malt to this beer, and it really is out of whack.

M: Very nice mouthfeel, good amount of carbonation and body.

D: Not too filling or harsh, just out of balance and not appealing. (831 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9%

Bottled on the 4th week of April, so not too old. And thanks for dating the bottle, despite not having a year.

Pours a bigger fizzy 1.5 finger head that fades at a med pace, darker colored reddish looking head, that leaves sticky lacing on the glass, and a very hazy sediment laden mahogany reddish orange color.

Nose is fairly light, some sweet reddish malts out front, with a light aromatic and caramely malty aroma, some fruit aromas in there that I'm not sure belong, maybe yeast additions?, wait, the more I nose it I think those fruity aromas are hints of fruity almost citrusy-like hops, although there does seem to be hints of esters from the yeast, and a touch of booze when I nose really deep.

Taste is different... interesting... like an earthy caramely flavor comes through, almost root like or sasafras maybe... anyways, aside from that... oh maybe some weird yeast additions as I think it brings hints of esters again and just a touch of a phenolic like taste. So as I was saying, some caramel reddish malts, bit of sweetness with that, and even a feel of booze that is too prevalent for only 6.5%. Earthy slightly herbal hops kick in with a light bitterness but that really earthy taste. As it finishes it attempts to dry but seems to remain a bit sticky, with more caramel and a hint of toffee lingering, and hops that get a bit more bitter, slightly earthy and spicy, and a bit of that fruity flavor that almost wants to come off as apple or maybe slightly cidery. Actually the more I drink, the more I seem to get a slight cidery flavor.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall... despite that the bottle says "it tastes damn good", I disagree. While it has some interesting qualities, not a very well done beer at all. Some off flavors, malt doesn't seem to really nail itself down, hops are too earthy and don't really sit with the rest of the beer, and the yeast seems to have added some qualities that it didn't want to leave. (1,955 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

It looks like a great beer. If I were casting a movie, I would use this beer.

I might be expecting more from the hops in here from having had too many IPAs, but they're a bit too weak. It's still a nice hoppy flavor. I taste a sort of strange sweetness left in my mouth.

If you're trying to help someone learn to love hops, this is a good beer to suggest to them.

This is the Megan Fox of beers. Good to look at, might want to take to a party, lacks real substance, and has a weird thumb.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/02/megan_fox_employs_thumb_double.html (574 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Nice red/ amber color, roasty brown head, and very cloudy.

S: Sweet doughy malt aroma, but is not very strong.

T: Nice pine hop flavor, sweet malt character. well balanced.

M: Medium to thin mouth feel

D: Smooth. very drinkable.

Overall i would say that this is a good amreican red. (290 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

22 oz bomber. It was 4.99 and came with a free pint glass so I said what the heck and bought it.

Pours a murky brown with a 1 inch off-white head.

The smell is surprisingly hoppy. There is some nice grassy pine and citrus in here, nothing over the top just a nice clean hoppiness.

The flavor is your average red ale/pale ale fare. It is hoppier than expected though, that was a nice touch.

Overall it is a decent beer but not worthy of a bombee of this price point. (469 characters)

Fixed Gear from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.