Fixed Gear - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fixed GearFixed Gear

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-24-2010)

NJBeer265, Jul 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

This bomber was picked up in the '88' four-pack which I think is a fantastic idea. I hope it catches on - more breweries should be doing this.

Served cold into a pint glass, Fixed Gear is a very hazy redish brown color. The head is thick and it settles very slowly. What's left behind wouldn't look out of place on a tripel - huge rocky head with thick lacing all over the place. This is a great looking beer.

The aroma doesn't disappoint either. It's has a genuinely hoppy smell with nice grapefruit and other citrus. They must have really dry-hopped the crap out of it.

The flavor is excellent as well. I was not expecting this at all. This beer is one of the best reds I've had in a long time. Solid malt body with caramel and lightly toasted malt stands up to support a really well-hopped bitter middle. Smooth from begining to end with balance in spades.

Mouthfeel is medium-light plus in body and nicely carbonated. Easy drinking without a doubt.

Overall the surprise of 2011 so far. A great American red ale and one I would definately buy in a six-pack. Lets hope the other three bombers are even half as good as this.

GilGarp, Mar 31, 2011

jgunther71, Aug 15, 2013
3.11/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

bigbeers84, Sep 20, 2014

mychalg9, Sep 05, 2013

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this tonight with an antipasto platter. This beer blended well against the hot pepper, prosciutto, and roasted peppers. I figured that a nice red would pair with Italian.

This is a pretty good example of a red. There is the typical malt. A little difference is in the hoppiness. It isn't super hoppy, but the red and hops are a different mix from most reds.

The balance of flavors is pretty good. I like the smell coming off this beer. There was a pretty good amount of head with this beer.

I reccommend checking this beer out. It was pretty original.

ummswimmin, Jul 02, 2011

thebigredone, Jul 08, 2012

Hellpop65, Nov 08, 2013

bacher468, Sep 01, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint.

I had really written off Lakefront, to be honest. After trying all of their baseline brews and having their bog-standard IPA being the standout of their lineup, I really wasn't planning on picking up any more of their brews. But then, I saw these pretty bombers at a local haunt for 5 bucks a pop. Reviews were good enough, I knew they were fresh, why not?

I'm glad I did, this is a great red. It's not much to look at or smell though. Big, quickly retreating head on a muddy red-orange body. Aroma is a muted hoppiness. The taste is really quite good though. Very bright citrus hops shine their way over an effervescent sweet, bready malt. These both make their way down to a smooth finish with just a bit of hops lingering on the tongue. Very balanced and well-composed.

This is a nice and smooth drinker, the mouthfeel is fairly light and has a perfect level of carbonation. The drinkability is the best aspect of this beer for sure though, it's been a while since I've had a beer this perfectly drinkable. This bomber emptied in record time,for sure. Which kind of leads me to my problem here, and it's a bit of a Catch-22. If this beer weren't in bombers, I probably would have never bought it. Now that I've bought it, I want it in six-packs because it's a great drinker that I'd love to keep in my rotation. Oh well, it's a great beer that I'll recommend.

shand, Oct 11, 2011

a deep amber in color with almost 2 fingers of creme colored head, lots of nice sticky lacing left behind. malty caramel aromas, herbal tea notes, grassy, grapefruit citrus hint. this is a well balanced amber ale.. even sweetness and bitterness of malt and hops, with a nice grapefruit overtone.. caramel, bready, grassy, tea-like.. flavor and nose are identical.
this is a very refreshing medium bodied ale with medium carbonation and a nice semi-creamy mouthfeel.
this is a must go-to from now on. 6pk price is cheap enough and definitely a nice change of pace from my usual ipa styles that i tend to go for.

facundoCNB, Aug 10, 2013

spointon, Nov 15, 2011

jschott75, Aug 04, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

At the Safe House in Milwaukee

A - Amber color with red notes. Tan foam settles quickly. Nice lacing.

S - Scents of caramel malt, berries, and wood. Complex and inviting.

T - Disappointing. The flavor uderwhlems compared to the scent. Comes off a bit too heavy in malt for my liking. Off-balance or off-flavor.

M - Just too heavy to like. Not sure why, but it felt like a robust beer that shouldn't be one. I had truble finsihing this.

O - I'd pass. Was hoping for more but got an amber that was heavier than my meal. I think I'll pass on Lakefront for now.

socon67, Jul 27, 2012

stampfler07, Feb 05, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Localdrinklax, Apr 29, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is rusty orange red. Slightly cloudy with a robust amount of cascading carbonation. Three fingers of off white head recede to leave a thick lace ring.

The aroma is blend of sweet caramel malt and citrus fruits. Moderate tones of spice come through as it warms. Not the strongest nose for sure.

The flavor is a tad muted as well. Malt is the main player in this game. The hops struggle to gain any ground although they are present. It has a sort of vanilla cream finish.

Medium body with loads of carbonation.

Overall an above average red. For less then five bucks a bomber I could see picking it up again.

beerwolf77, Apr 09, 2010

Kunstman, Aug 12, 2012
Fixed Gear from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.