Fixed Gear - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fixed GearFixed Gear

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 02-24-2010)

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle says it was bottled during the 2nd week in July. Consumed on 10-2-12.

A: Poured into a pint glass. Hazy amber body with a big (2-finger) khaki-colored head that slips over the top of the pint glass. When backlit the body is more mahogany-colored. The big head retains well and leaves a good amount of lace.

S: Toffee & caramel malt and juicy hops. A touch of malt extract.

T: First impression is the heft, not the flavor: it seems a little thin and watery. That translates into a general tasting impression that there isn't enough malt here. I am getting some caramel malt and light brown sugar, but it's just not enough of a foundation. Hops seem minerally and metallic first, but become more juicy after my palate adjusts. I get a hint of orange peel and lemon at the finish, which provides a decent balanced overall flavor impression, leaning towards the hoppy side of the equation (which is what I like in my American Red Ales).

M: As noted above, it's a bit thin and watery in feel, with the overall heft being somewhere between light and medium. Carbonation is fine, creating a fairly creamy impression.

O: Decent. This grew on me by the time I got halfway down the glass. I paid $1.50 for a single bottle at Price Chopper, with some trepidation after my Fuel Cafe experience with Lakefront. I got a solid beer at that price; I wouldn't mind drinking this if I saw it on tap somewhere.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

22 oz bomber. It was 4.99 and came with a free pint glass so I said what the heck and bought it.

Pours a murky brown with a 1 inch off-white head.

The smell is surprisingly hoppy. There is some nice grassy pine and citrus in here, nothing over the top just a nice clean hoppiness.

The flavor is your average red ale/pale ale fare. It is hoppier than expected though, that was a nice touch.

Overall it is a decent beer but not worthy of a bombee of this price point.

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Huge thanks go out to BeerFMAndy for this bottle!

Bottled the 3rd week of February, 2010.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a very dense cloudy dark amber with a large rocky tan head on top. This head retains as well as any that I have seen. Lots of sticky lace and webbing clings to the glass. The nose is a bit underwhelming. I expected a sharp hoppy scent, but this carries some mild citrus, toast, and toffee. Nothing stands out though.

Like the nose, the body is a slight disappointment. It's somewhat creamy and smooth, but it's a little thin. The carbonation level is low-to-moderate. Hopefully the flavor will make up for the shortcomings. Hmm. Not so much. There's some orange zest noted, finishes a little tart and sour. A nice sweet balance in there with hints of caramel and toffee. Bitterness is low.

This really wasn't what I was expecting. I guess my scores correspond to my expectations. Maybe I need to go into each beer with no preconceived notions (?). Still, it was decent, just underwhelming is all. Thanks again, Andy!

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This bomber was picked up in the '88' four-pack which I think is a fantastic idea. I hope it catches on - more breweries should be doing this.

Served cold into a pint glass, Fixed Gear is a very hazy redish brown color. The head is thick and it settles very slowly. What's left behind wouldn't look out of place on a tripel - huge rocky head with thick lacing all over the place. This is a great looking beer.

The aroma doesn't disappoint either. It's has a genuinely hoppy smell with nice grapefruit and other citrus. They must have really dry-hopped the crap out of it.

The flavor is excellent as well. I was not expecting this at all. This beer is one of the best reds I've had in a long time. Solid malt body with caramel and lightly toasted malt stands up to support a really well-hopped bitter middle. Smooth from begining to end with balance in spades.

Mouthfeel is medium-light plus in body and nicely carbonated. Easy drinking without a doubt.

Overall the surprise of 2011 so far. A great American red ale and one I would definately buy in a six-pack. Lets hope the other three bombers are even half as good as this.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass on 6/15/10

The color is a very nice scorched amber. Held to the light it almost appears crimson. Directly beneath the two fingers of toasted marshmallow-hued foam drifts a layer of yeast. Head retention drops to 1/4th inch after several minutes leaving a few good rings of lace.

One whiff tells me this a hoppy amber ale. The hops are sharp & loaded to the hilt with fresh grapefruit. Swirling the glass releases floral & pine aromas. Malt undertones of caramel & toasted bread are prevalent but never overpower the hops. Interesting blend between dry & sweet. As it warms it start to have a medicinal quality.

I admit I'm a bit underwhelmed by the taste, though it isn't bad, per se. It just seems to lack the vibrancy of the aroma. Piney hops with a dry bitterness with a citrus zest accompaniment. A little spiciness could go a long way, I believe. Toasted caramel notes offer support. Kind of medicinal, too. As with the aroma, it's pretty dry.

Medium-bodied; sticky, resinous & mildly gritty. Carbonation is reasonably low; it would be perfect if the flavor had a little more crackle. In lieu of spiciness, livelier carbonation might have been ideal. Resiny bitterness lingers on the finish.

Initially purchased for novelty (a buddy of mine is a bike guy), I've been pleasantly surprised. On the whole, it's rather impressive. I would really like to try it on tap. A few mods would make this fixie the talk of the Short North.

3.11/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

I had this tonight with an antipasto platter. This beer blended well against the hot pepper, prosciutto, and roasted peppers. I figured that a nice red would pair with Italian.

This is a pretty good example of a red. There is the typical malt. A little difference is in the hoppiness. It isn't super hoppy, but the red and hops are a different mix from most reds.

The balance of flavors is pretty good. I like the smell coming off this beer. There was a pretty good amount of head with this beer.

I reccommend checking this beer out. It was pretty original.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Fixed Gear from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.