2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

(Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 441 | Reviews: 233 | Show All Ratings:
Goblinmunkey7

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Bright orange. Little to no head. A chill haze dissipated rather quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell: Nice sweet cinnamon. Some nutmeg, allspice, and the rest of the usual suspects. A touch sweet, but it's got that lovely combination of real beer with pumpkin thrown in for extra measure. A nice balance of grassy, sweet malts and pumpkin. Faint touches of real pumpkin come through as well. Particularly heavy on the cinnamon.

Taste: Sharp bit of spices. Cinnamon assaults everything, adding a spiciness that is rather unexpected. Loads of cinnamon. Nutmeg rounds out the back. After some warming, the spices take another jump up, but the malts add some sweetness, attempting to balance out the spice. It almost works, but falls short in the long run. A touch bready, almost crusty with some grassy notes in the back of it all.

Mouthfeel: A little thin with a slightly high carbonation. It definitely drinks like a nice crisp lager. A little dry, but never aggressively so.

Overall: Lager + pumpkin = interesting combination. The crisp nature coupled with the fall spices plays out like an homage to summer gone and fall coming. It's stuck somewhere in the middle of good and meh.

09-04-2011 19:41:09 | More by Goblinmunkey7
joe1510

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a hazy light orange. Small head that faded to almost nothing.Looks really watery. Some sediment floating around along with carbonation coming up from random places. After a few sips head did fall to nothing.

Smells of clove, nutmeg and it seems like a touch of cinnamon. I smell a funky yeast in there as well that I associate with an ale. Smells kind of interesting. Can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

Has the taste of a mulled cider but at the end I pick up the yeast maybe? A little twang. Not much pumpkin if any though. Which is a little disappointing considering what it is.

The mouthfeel is a on the light side of medium. Leaves my mouth a little tingly but it's just average.

I'd probably only drink one of these. It's an easy drinker but being as plain as it is and the spices present I couldn't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall this beer is about as average as you can get. I was hoping for a little more. I always get excited for the seasonals but this was a let down. For some reason this beer drinks more like a cider. Every drink I take I seem to think it needs to be heated up and a cinnamon stick thrown in it. Worth a try if you can just buy a single bottle.

Slainte!

10-06-2006 00:55:33 | More by joe1510
botham

2.83/5  rDev -18.2%

bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. pours a lightly hazy amber-orangish color with a finger and a half of eggshell colored head that retains moderately and leaves no lacings.

aroma is spicy, with nutmeg and allspice notes, as well as a pumpkin-like base and distant notes of vanilla and some caramel. overall, quite spicy without much for malt or hop notes. a bit of caramel malt character comes out after a bit of warming, but it is overpowered by the spice.

taste is more of the same with a distinct spiced character that hinders the drinkability and palatability. the brew is heavy on the pumpkin spice and discounts the pumpkin flavors and malt notes to produce an overly-spiced brew.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp and spiced texture and a finish of residual nutmeg and light caramel malts.

drinkability is decent. any BA who loves pumpkin pie spices will like this brew, but for those looking for a balanced pumpkin beer, this is not good. pumpkin beers should be treated like ESBs, where it is all about balance. too many end up as over-spiced fall beers that are not very drinkable, and this is no exception.

09-13-2009 16:49:44 | More by botham
jkendrick

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Poured fizzy and soda-y with light head that dissipated down to almost nothing with no lacing. The color is copper to amber and very clear.

Aroma: The aroma is initially very nice with plenty of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. There is some pumpkin aroma, but mostly spices. The aroma fades after a while in the glass, but the first impressions are again very nice.

Mouthfeel: This a light and fizzy soda-like drink. I am not generally a lager fan, so it is difficult for me to comment on the mouthfeel vs. how it is SUPPOSED to be, but I didn't like it. It felt thin with harsh carbonation.

Taste: The pleasing aroma doesn't carry over to taste. I tasted very little to no pumpkin and minimal spice. The carbonation again was a big minus for me. It's pretty dry with a hint of sweetness, but overall kind of sour (not bitter in a hoppy way). The aftertaste doesn't linger but that is good because it is rather sour.

Overall impression: This was my first pumpkin beer (and my first attempt at drinking a beer for a review -- I joined a review group and pumpkin beer was first on the agenda)) and I will say it was interesting. The initial aroma was far and away the highlight for me and I found it less enjoyable as I went along. It is definitely more pumpkin PIE than straight pumpkin, but that may be standard for this type of brew. I am a big fan of pumpkin pie, but had never had the desire to try a pumpkin beer. While I probably won't pick this one up again, it WAS enough to get me interested in trying other pumpkin beers.

10-29-2008 00:49:39 | More by jkendrick
falloutsnow

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Dense two-finger head, off-white in color. The beer itself is amber-orange that is unique among pumpkin beers. No lacing that clings to the sides, but a thin ring of bubbles around the glass.
S: Sweet, musty, pumpkin-like smell with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. No detectable hop scents, though the brewery claims Hallertau are used.
T: Unsubtle yeasty, pumpkin flavor upfront, joined with malt sweetness and followed by cinnamon and clove tastes. After taste of weak cinnamon red hots, somewhat artificial.
M: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated for the light to medium body with an otherwise smooth texture. Slightly dry in the finish, likely from the hops, yet no detectable hop bitterness.
D: Average to slightly below average pumpkin beer. This is a lager and not an ale, so the brewery is trying something different here. It's too bad the results aren't that spectacular.

02-08-2006 03:23:56 | More by falloutsnow
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured a cloudy golden-orange color, aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin. Small white head that doesn't last, not much lacing either. Pumpkin , ginger, cinnamon and butter bread flavors, Medium body body with a buttery mouthfeel, finishes pretty sweet, I had a tough time finishing the bottle.

03-08-2008 21:10:24 | More by barleywinefiend
Kegatron

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber orange with 2+ fingers of poofy brite-white head. Fizzles down pretty quickly into just the thinnest coating of foam. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way through the glass and it allready looks lifeless. Nice retention there. The aroma is waaay overspiced smelling. This is literally hurting my nose as I sniff it. There's some residual sweetness and floral hops back behind all of the spice but they barely make a dent in this bouquet.

The taste comes off to me as way too sweet, tangy, and once again overspiced. There's some green pumpkin taste back there as well but man, I can't get this tanginess out of my mouth! Them mouthfeel is medium bodied with a more viscous feel and lower carbonation that does the taste profile zero favors.

Well, as you can see, this didn't work for me at all. Way too overspiced and cloying at times. Maybe if there had bit a bit of Lager like crispness, this would have gone down easier but nope. I won't be visiting this again.

01-09-2009 17:54:22 | More by Kegatron
mynie

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours like tea. Dark orange, minimal carbonation.

Smells like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Aggressively spicy, and pretty generic. It's nice but not really even pumpkiny, just spicy.

Tastes like it smells. Not exactly bland, not exactly boilerplate, but not exactly well-brewed. It's all spice, only those spices are inexpertly measured and there's none of the tangy or mellow pumpkin nodes of other such brews to cut into the aggressive cinnamon and nutmeg nodes.

It's like a pumpkin pie baked by a middle school home ec class. It's edible, since it's pumpkin pie and honestly I'd eat pumpkin pie that had been dropped on the floor. But the seasoning hints towards a complete lack of experience on behalf of the people who baked it, like they just raided the spice cabinet and started pouring things in all willy nilly.

10-17-2012 21:56:57 | More by mynie
jlindros

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

OH snap, B- review. Well, I've had some surprises with that before. But this being a lager, not sure. But I have to continue my pumpkin beer quest. I poured this into my DFH pint glass, and I almost feel like I'm shaming DFH, but let's see.

A: Pours a decent airy and bubbly head, about 1/2 a finger that quickly fades to a light covering. Another brilliantly clear offering with a pale orange light toasty brown color. Very few bubbles rise to the top and let the head fade to dust.

N: Yep, just as I thought, a sweet pumpkin aroma with lots of spice, and almost a creamy syrup and vanilla. Lots of pumpkin and syrup and spice blanket the nose.

T: Taste pretty much confirms the nose, with the start of a sweet extract like styrupy taste containing some pumpkin extract flavors and some spices. The spice isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The syrupy extract like tastes and pumpkin flavors make it very run-of-the-mill. I don't get much for lager tastes either, and def not much for hops or bitterness. It's pretty sweet too.

M: Syrupy and light carbonation.

F: Still semi sweet, and leaves a weirding syrup taste that doesn't go away as quick as you would like. But, it's not too bad on the finish. Not very refreshing, crisp, or light as you would expect from a lager.

Final thoughts: Pretty boring pumpkin beer, with light tastes, lots of syrup like tastes and flavorings, semi sweet, low carbonation, low spices at least, and it's so called lager but I really don't get much for lager tastes or crisp refreshingness.

10-17-2009 03:32:14 | More by jlindros
Bighuge

2.7/5  rDev -22%

Hazed dark golden tone. Just a skimming of a white head. Lacing is minimal. Nose is all about the spices. Pumpkin Pie spice, clove, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. A little sweet malt underlying everything. This beer's got some spice on the buds, but it's pretty weak in the malt department. Pumpkin taste is lacking. It's a little phenolic/medicinal as well. Not really that enjoyable.

10-31-2004 04:40:50 | More by Bighuge
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -22%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. The Original Pumpkin Lager Beer Pumpkin Ale itself.

Pours an uninspiring orange/amber with a bubbly head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell is heavy on the all-purpose pumpkin pie spice assortment, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg and some sugrary sweet caramel notes. Taste continues with the canned spice extract and sweet pumpkin/caramel malt, but unfortunately entertains an astringent, medicinal bitterness that turns it all foul. Mouth feel is thin but slick. There's just a lot going on here that doesn't mesh together. It's all a little artificial, no real substance. Dogfish and O'Fallon are oth far superior to this timid offering.

10-13-2005 19:00:12 | More by Golden2wenty1
mentor

2.65/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a half finger orange-tan head over a cloudy dark apricot liquid. Head settles to a persistent fluff around the edges. Smells pie spicey with crust hints. dDy sand dusty and lacking malt and ester character. Earthy pumpkin rind is as close as this beer get to fruit.

Tastes very simple. Dry and spice. Pumpkin rind. Orange flavor late and dries with a carbonaton that acridly clears the palette. peppery zing. Md mouthfeel and stingy carbonation that I found distracting.

01-15-2007 04:59:12 | More by mentor
letsgopens

2.65/5  rDev -23.4%

I've recently become enamored with various seasonal selections and begun snatching up every Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale, etc I can get my hands on.

With that being said, this particular selection is easily the oddest of the bunch. Its pours very cloudy, deep brown/orange with an unsatisfying, almost nonexistent off-white head that fades to nothing in around two seconds flat. Nothing I've seen yet is characteristic of a lager.

The aroma is again, a little off. Some spice and malt are present. Nutmeg and a bit of pumpkin, but mostly a dirty kind of spice and dull malt.

I wouldn't say that it's bland, but the flavor is not what I expected at all. All spice and nutmeg initially that is a bit dull and again rather 'dirty' on the tongue. A bit of pumpkin in the background. At first sip I was pleasantly surprised to try something that was totally different, but as I drank the flavor became increasingly unpleasant.

Throughout the experience, this beer was very uncharacteristic for a lager. Almost no carbonation and an odd grainy texture. The starchy malt lingers on the palate. Probably my least favorite of the dozen or so pumpkin ales I've tried this fall. I will however try it again next year and reevaluate.

10-16-2007 15:06:54 | More by letsgopens
redfire89

2.63/5  rDev -24%

A- Hazy dark yellowish color with a awful lot of bubbles
S- Faint scent of pumpkin and spices
T- Very light pumpkin flavor tastes more like a wannabe oktoberfest style with a metallic aftertaste
M- Light, watery kinda overcarbonated
O- Not terrible but it didn't really taste like a pumpkin ale.

10-04-2011 10:30:47 | More by redfire89
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

2.58/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Jeremiah for the bottle.

Pours a caramel body with a white head.

Cloves and nutmeg take center stage aroma wise.

Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove flavors. Sweet pumpkin is the focal point, but the spice builds stronger with each sip. Spice lingers on the finish; doesn't want to go away.

Medium carbonation, body is a bit thin.

Not as bad as it has been in years past, but by the end of my glass I can't even taste pumpkin, the spice has totally taken over.

Lakefront Pumpkin Lager Beer (awful name btw) is a good pumpkin beer for people who love pumpkin spices. It is not very balanced and it has virtually no actual "beer" flavor. I will never understand why this is so popular, but who am I to judge. Its not for me and that's why I offer so many alternatives at the shop.

09-28-2010 23:52:19 | More by BradLikesBrew
ADR

2.48/5  rDev -28.3%

Completely clear sub-amber appearance, 1/4 inch head diminishes to large bubbles on the surface in a minute. Laces in very random spots. Not much other than pumpkin pie spice to the aroma, slight sense of white pepper maybe. Low carbonation (too low), mouthfeel is felt-like and a little sub-par. Flavor starts predictably, vegetal in a pronounced cooked celery and carrot sense with cinnamon, sugariness and nutmeg combining in an early statement but giving up to a watery close. Spice attenuates the aftertaste. A little obvious and with no aspects to balance it out. As a pumpkin beer overall, the mouthfeel makes this one less than average for me.

08-29-2004 19:31:24 | More by ADR
RoBotGod

2.45/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Why why why why do they keep making beers like this. I know there is a market for this but there just so damn bad. There is really only 2 pumpkin beers that I think are even decent and this is not one out them. It looks good in the glass. I would probably drink it off of looks. The smell has nutmeg and cinnamon to it. The taste is kind of like a red beer that they drug through a wheat field. There are nutmeg and odd spices that don’t really sit well with me.

09-06-2007 00:12:40 | More by RoBotGod
pmatz2

2.38/5  rDev -31.2%

I've never had this style before. I received an 8-pack sampler as a Christmas Present and am working my way through it.

Appearance : Poured a hazy light orange with and Off white head that quickly disappeared to nothing. No lacing what so ever.

Smell: Sweet with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Taste: Malty sweet with taste of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel : Watery thin body that finished dry

Drink-ability : Didn't do anything for me. It went down easy but I did not enjoy drinking this beer. Glad I tried it and I'm glad it was part of a gift pack.

01-04-2007 00:35:41 | More by pmatz2
n2185

2.38/5  rDev -31.2%

A: Pours orange with barely a finger of white head that quickly vanishes with no lacing.

S: Pumpkin pie spices on the nose--cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg--without much else.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are a bunch of spices without much else. There are a few hints of orange citrus in there and a light, biscuity finish.

M: Medium-light body with lowish carbonation, this beer feels a bit flat.

O: Not a very good beer. It isn't offensive, but it's bland and lacking any depth.

10-06-2011 16:56:11 | More by n2185
Luddy37

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is exactly what a lager is in respect to smell and taste. The appearance was close to a light orange/dark gold consistency. The beer had little aromaticity in regard to the being a pumpkin beer. I caught a hint of some spices. I honestly would expect to be able to smell the pumpkin or some floral/nutty undertones. This beer did not have that aspect. The taste was like a smooth a normal lager style beer. It didnt have much bite back and was very smooth. Overall, I just wasnt impressed with the beer itself. I think pumpkin beer should at least have scent and taste of pumpkin.

09-24-2012 05:50:05 | More by Luddy37
jeffmonarch

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Light copper color with head about 3/4 inch thick that fades slowly.

S - Lots of pumpkin and some spice.

T - Very light. Too much pumpkin too little spice.

M - A little too much carbonation.

D - Not impressed at all. I've been spoiled in that I used to live closer to Deleware and had DogfishHead pumpkin all the time. This is not even close.

12-18-2007 05:29:37 | More by jeffmonarch
bonsreeb85

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

A - copper highlighted w/ strawberry and very much see-through. thin head, this isn't really a looker then again most lager styles aren't IMHO.

S - nutmeg, allspice, ginger?(who threw by baker's cabinet's contents into my beer? j/k)smells malt forward w/ no real hops detected in the nose

T - incredibly thin and watered down. allspice and nutmeg, and also a funky and unpleasant stale tea-like flavor. From the nose I expected a rich mouthful of spice cake or pumpkin loaf on the tongue I was delivered a thin and watery stale tea w/ spices thrown in w/ a bready finish.

MF - light body medium carbonation

D - refreshing and different but not really tasty. this is your Bud Light of Pumpkin beers. too bad.

09-10-2009 01:24:27 | More by bonsreeb85
Billolick

2.31/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 ounce bottle, w/o any freshness info to be had.

Pours near clear orangy amber, basically no head, no film, no collar and no lace.

Moderate pumpkin pie spicing on the nose.

Sweet and kinda off putting with more pumpkin spicing. Also some sweet fruit juice notes that are artificial tasting and not to my liking. More nastyness in the finish. Off notes of plastic and cheap grape soda.

So many better fall/pumpkin themed brews out there....

10-15-2013 01:22:30 | More by Billolick
rowew

2.25/5  rDev -35%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck. Marked with the botled date and week - a year would be nice just in case a shady distributor has sat on this for a year.

Appearance: Rough pour produces a small bubbly head that disappears quickly. Cloudy and red-orange.

Smell: Huge spice - typical pumpkin pie spice aroma. Not much malt or beer aroma, but it definitely smells like pumpkin pie.

Taste: Thin mouthfeel, all spice, no beer. Finish is strange - medicinal.

Overall impression: Meh - this beer is not quite right. I won't be looking again.

10-11-2006 20:15:33 | More by rowew
smcolw

2.15/5  rDev -37.9%

Fizzy soda pop bubbles and head that dies to nothing--no lace, no head. The color is a cloudy orange amber.

Lots of pie spices--cinnamon, nutmeg, clove. The rest is pumpkin.

In the taste, the first thing I notice is the very high level of carbonation--think pumpkin soda. I'm almost tempted to throw in some ice cubes, except that it isn't very sweet. More sour than "pumpkiny". This one is difficult for me to drink. Sorry, a clear miss.

09-13-2008 23:09:41 | More by smcolw
Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.