Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros

The aroma of this beer first hits you as a real spicy and sweet beer. Quite the opposite. This beer has a real light mouth feel but the hint of sweetness is just of enough to have one beer per night.

This beer is not too sweet and not too savory this beer can go well with savory foods such as turkey and be a great dessert beer or just to drink around. (355 characters)

Appearance: It pours a hazy copper color with amber hues. On top is about two fingers worth of of white head.

Aroma: A tremendous amount of pumpkin spice way up front. Notes of allspice, clove, cinnamon and even a little bit of a cider aroma. Only a slight breadiness towards the back.

Taste: Spice on top of more spice. Cloves, cinnamon, apple peel a floral hop bite and a nice dry finish. The mouthfeel is a little crisp with a buttery texture.

Notes: It's spiced so well all the way around what a tasty beer. Cheers. (522 characters)

The nice lady at the local liquor store was going to pitch a sixer of this (as it was May), and asked if I wanted it. For free? Sure, give it a try.

Medium foamy head on a cloudy amber. Smelled fruity and floral, didn't pick up too much pumpkin. But I found it in the taste, very nice blend, pumpkin with spices...nutmeg? Allspice? Hint of that floral? All there, and as I said, blended nicely in a smooth, easy to drink beer.

I've had two pumpkin flavored beers (Blue Moon's Harvest Moon the other), and this is far and away the best of the two. (550 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Honestly, I think this is the first time I've seen a pumpkin lager before... Regardless, it pours a mostly clear bright brass topped by a finger of pale off-white foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, light white bread, light caramel, sweet flowers, clove, and a touch of mildly tart orange flesh. Nice and spicy, baby. The taste brings in more of the same, with the bread coming in lightly toasted, the orange toning down the tartness, and the caramel coming in a bit stronger. There's not much actual pumpkin in here, if at all, but the spices are definitely present in spades. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a lightly grainy feel. Overall, a surprisingly tasty and drinkable brew, one that really embraces the spicy side of pumpkin beers without going too far with it. Well done. (875 characters)

Notes Oct 12, 2008
Bottle from Pauly's. Orange in color with a minimal white foam head.Ginger,cinnamon,and nutmeg spice aromas. Tastes like grandma made pumpkin pie with some lager in the mix, very nice very subtle. Nice mouthfeel, some lacing. Solid offering. (261 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

This is a much better pumpkin beer than I was expecting. It is an amber orange color with a small but respectable white head. The aroma is sweetish, with a grainy lager background ans a sweep pumpkin pie forenose. Spice, honey, pie, reminiscent cream, and crust. Interesting and enjoyable. The sweetness could get a little overwhelming, but in small volumes, this is great. Smooth and flavorful. I would easily have another. (424 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Pumpkin Lager pours a copper color with a very small but lacing head. There is a nice mellow pumpkin aroma. The taste has a nice mellow but noticeable pumpkin flavor. Good body and good feel. Overall its not over the top, its just a very nice pumpkin beer. (260 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Bottled in Aug '04 notched on the side of the bottle.

Appearance: Pours a clear carmel with hazy yellow edges. Carbonation cascades up the glass. Kind of cool. A nice silky white head forms.

Smell: pumpkin pie spice, a touch of cinnamon, and a yeasty, wheat bread-like smell predominates.

Taste: Raw pumpkin with a grassy, hop-like finish. Biscuity undertones are present throughout the entire sip. There is a lot going on here. Very multi-dimensional.

Mouthfeel: medium and silky.

Drinkability and overall: I found this one very quaffable. I haven't been a big fan of pumpkin ales but this one works well for me. A nice seasonal offering. (669 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Clear orange to amber in the glass, with a nice cream-colored head that dropped quickly, but left a subtle lacing on the glass. Malty spice (cinnamon/nutmeg) in the nose. Flavor was malty with the fruit and spice you'd expect, but this was unique because it offered the smoothness of a lager (rather than the ales typically "pumpkin'ed" at this time of year). As the glass warmed, the alcohol came out a bit in the flavor; but the spice kept it in check. Not bad. Enjoyable. (474 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

A refreshing seasonal lager that I look forward to every year. Pours hazy orange with a soft white head with heavy carbonation. The aroma is nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices, along with some malty notes. The taste is the aforementioned spices, blended with a faint pumpkin body and limited hop bite. The body is a bit thin, but overall this is a very good specialty lager that signals the beginning of fall in Wisconsin. (431 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

This was my first foray into Pumpkin Ales. Perhaps I was overly prepared for overwhelming pumpkin pie aroma and spices. I thought this was a very good dark lager. I enjoyed the earthy tones. It starts off pretty sweet before the earthiness takes over. Did not detect an overt taste of pumpkin, which was a good thing for me. Only detected slight spice, not as overwhelming as other reviewers.
Overall a pretty tasty, enjoyable brew. (432 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Ok retention and some spotty lacing. Smells of bread and lots of pumpkin pie spice. Tastes of light citrus up front then bread, cinnamon, and pumpkin. Medium light in body with good carbonation. Good pumpkin and spices, malty yet balanced. Not too intense on any of the flavors, but nicely paired. Pleasant, easy to drink and not tasting too high in alcohol, making for a very nice sessionable pumpkin ale for the fall season. (489 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

The second you pop the top on a bottle of Lakefront Pumpkin Ale you can tell this beer isn't pussyfooting around. Spices and fruit fill the air.

The pour leaves a thin tan head with minimal lacing. It's a nice coppery red.

I get a lot more apple cider on the nose than pumpkin. In fact, it's a lot more cinnamon/apple than anything else. Which I like in a big way.

Lots of clove and an apple crispness on the palate. Some nice maltiness on the back end.

A very drinkable pumpkin beer. Perfect for a crisp fall afternoon. (527 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +15.5%

My buddy Paul has been talking this brew up the last few falls, so I'm finally giving it a try.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A) Amber in color, about 1/2 inch of head, which was gone before I could get my nose into the pint. No lacing.

S) A combination of beer and spices. The smell is like pumpkin pie. In fact, I said to my wife, this smells like pumpkin pie.

T) Not as spiced as the smell led me to believe. A combination of malt, nutmeg and cinnamon. It really reminds me of a cider.

M) Light to medium/light. Actually, this is quite smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation to liven it up.

O) I have found most of the pumpkin beers I've tried to be a little to spiced for my liking. This one really hits the spot. It pains me to say this, but... Paul, you were right. (806 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15%

Pourz a cloudy pumpkin orange color, about a finger of head that quickly retreats into a thin layer of suds.

mmmm.... I smell pumpkin pie. lots of pumpkin and spiciness in the nose. lovely.

not quite as much pumpkin as is in the smell, but it's definitely there. At first i just taste like a really smooth lager, nice toasted caramel malts, and then the pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg roll across my tongue and linger. This is really good, but i'd love more pumpkin up front.

lower carbonation, light-medium bodied, very smooth and easy drinking.

This is one of the better Pumpkin lagers i've had yet. They did a nice job on this beer, and the ABV is perfect. (676 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured bottle into weizen glass

A- Although this is a lager, there is some color. It is a dark amber color with a light orange hue. There was a half to 3/4 inch head that billowed up and was very bubbly and carbonated. If there was a category for sound...this one would get loud while there is still head. For two minutes it fizzled until fading out.

S- This smells just like pumpkin pie. I have a slice I am about to eat and I am comparing the two by smell. After the head faded, it smells a bit more like a lager beer. But notes of pumpkin pie spices (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) are present, gingerbread cookies.

T- Taste is pleasant: cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pumpkin, slight spices, but finishes with a crisp taste associated with a lager (IMO). Not overly spicy, pretty well balanced.

M- Clean, crisp, refreshing, prickly, well carbonated, but not too carbonated. Not too heavy. Quite thin, but it seems to work with this beer.

O- This is actually much better than I thought. I had a beer tasting the other night where eight of us sampled 21 pumpkin beers. This was the onl;y lager and I was very surprised. I am drinking a full serving tonight and enjoying. I expected a Molsen Canadien that tasted like it had allspice and nutmeg mixed in. I was very wrong. This can stand up to the ales, and in some cases beat them any day. Try this, it is a different approach, but a good one! (1,397 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Very Dark Orange and Cloudy. Looks very unfiltered and the head is around a quarter of a head thick that turns into a filmy cover after a couple of minutes.

Smell - Pumpkin, Spices, Yeasts and some barley. It's not robust but it's alright; Very simple scent for a pumpkin beer.

Taste - Spices, Pumpkin, Barley and Malts. The malty backbone is there, but it's not too sweet which actually works in it's favor here.

Mouthfeel - It's very crisp and light. So crisp in fact that you want to savor the feel of the beer. It's very rare for me to find a mouthfeel that actually feels good on the palate. The crispness is thanks to the well balanced carbonation which helps add some flavor to the beer without being too sharp.

Overall - A simple tasting pumpkin beer with a good taste and even better palate. Check it out if you get the chance. (879 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a light copper with a honey hue. The finger of head dissipates quickly. The nose is boldy pumpkin-like and there are spice notes as well. Light flavor, but the pumpkin is definitely there and nice spice notes of cinnamon and nutmeg are present on the finish. There is also a pleasant sweetness at the end.

Most pumpkin beers are ales, but this lager offering is a nice spicy treat that is light enough to be sessionable at a Halloween party. (448 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +14.1%

I have tried several beers from this brewery, and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them until I bought a six pack of this one. I really like pumpkin beer, and this one strikes a fine balance between pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin flavor. It is medium-bodied and sturdy enough to support the spices and remain smooth and drinkable. The amber color reminds one of an Oktoberfest, while the flavor mixes dried fruit, pumpkin, cinnamon and perhaps some clove. All in all an enjoyable tasty brew that's perfect for the harvest season. I'd buy this one again. (562 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I must admit that this is the first pumpkin lager I have ever tried. Up to this point I have only had pumpkin ales. It cleary says "lager beer" on the bottle's front label. I had never heard of this beer or brewery before and just decided to take a chance with this one. This beer pours a fairly light and clear copper/orange color with a light tan head about one finger thick. The head has some nice staying power indeed, especially considering how small it is to begin with. Little lacing though. Spicy aromas of pumpkin, sweet malt, yeast, and cinnamon are present. It has a moderately sweet taste with fairly strong hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and citrus present followed by some malt, yeast and spice. Has a nice smooth yet creamy and smooth mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in a good way.

Eric (833 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

A Pumpkin...Lager? Let's see how this one fares. I love the label, by the way.

Appearance : Dense auburn colored body with a minimal 1 finger head that recedes to a ring of lace within a few seconds.

Smell : Sugared pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon. Baked brown sugar. Right on the money.

Taste : Sweet and spicy, lots of nutmeg and pumpkin, with brown sugar in the background, ends dry with cloves and more pumpkin. Reminds me of pumpkin bars. A festive treat. It doesn't suffer from the sourness of an ale, so that's a plus. Traditionally though, a pumpkin "ale" has more flavor. I think they made up for that lack of flavor with spicy adjuncts - and that's fine with me.

Straight out of the bottle you get heavy clove and peanut m&m. It's amazing what a difference there is between glass and bottle. They're both good in my book here.

Mouthfeel : Spicy mouthfeel, if that makes sense. Not exactly carbonated, not exactly watery, but it bites a bit. And then it ends semi-dry. Interesting take.

Overall : I do like this beer, and I think I'd be willing to split a six pack with friends. There's nothing real off or wrong about this beer, but it is definitely not the best pumpkin beer I've had in recent memory. It's a good seasonal, if you find it, give it a try.

Edit, I'm eating a tuna sandwich now finishing up this beer. It actually pairs well with that, so it's not a totally "by itself" beer. This one was easy to finish. Bottoms up! (1,451 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance - Golden Yellow, a little hazy. White fizzy head, doesn't trail off too quickly. I'm intrigued by this one. Looks Good.

Smell - This smells sweet, maybe a little citrus, some honey. Pumpkin is there but not obtrusive.

Taste - Light, crisp, and a little sweet. I swear I'm tasting honey here, but I might be off. The pumpkin is coming through just right. I taste clove and nutmeg. The 6.0% abv is pretty up front in this one, but it's not a bad thing

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, it's a little carbonation heavy for a second but finishes nicely, which is what I expect for this style. Really enjoyable.

Overall - Really like this one. It delivers what I want in a pumpkin lager. The pumpkin and spices are there but they aren't overpowering. It all sits very well. This is clean, refreshing and very drinkable. I'd certainly pick this up again. (858 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +13.5%

I got this as an extra from BeerFMAndy as part of an amazing Wisconsin monster box trade.

Poured into a Dogfish Head chalice:

A: Pours a fairly clear, yet mildly peppery orange color with about a 1/2 inch head which keeps a fairly decent retention throughout.

S: All the standard pumpkin spices are present: cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, cloves, and a healthy presence from the gourd itself.

T: Did I mention cinnamon? Yep....that spice takes center stage here and since that is my favorite spice, I'm kinda digging this. The body is a bit on the medium-thin side, but the brew is not too sweet or syrupy and full of pumpkin goodness!

M: No stickiness hanging on for dear life and carbonation level is spot on.

D: While this one doesn't stand out in the vast sea of pumpkin ales on the market, the Lakefront Pumpkin is underappreciated compared to the previous reviews on BA IMO. (885 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Good amount of head, and the color is close to amber with hints or orange in it.

Smell: Spices are apparent but not overly strong and is actually quite nice. Has small hints of pumpkin but not a lot, more emphasis on spices and especially on fruit.

Taste: You only get hints of the spice and pumpkin but more then anything you get the taste of fruit. It overwhelms the pumpkin and makes the beer very fragrant.

Mouthfeel: At first slightly carbonated but then becomes smooth. One thing though, it kind of stays in your mouth for a while. The beer was all over my teeth and not really going anywhere which is really odd.

Drinkability: It's definitely refreshing and a nice beer, but not what I'm looking for in a pumpkin beer. It is way to light on the spices and pumpkin, instead offering a really tangy and strong taste of fruit. I still think its a good beer, just not what I would go for as my first choice in pumpkin beers. (946 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%

Not a bad looking pumpkin. Some yeast particles float about mingling with carbonation bubbles. A small white head appears atop leaving little lace.

Aromas are obviously pumpkin. With the usual spices that go but it is lacking any depth of malt and little prescence of hops.

I like this pumpkin ale. Mouthfeel is great. It is very balanced and not overly done with the spices. Pumpkin stands at the forefront with all spice and nutmeg. Also afterthoughts of cinnamon, and even some fig make appearances.

Love the round mouth. Easily drinkable. (552 characters)

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.