Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

A refreshing seasonal lager that I look forward to every year. Pours hazy orange with a soft white head with heavy carbonation. The aroma is nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices, along with some malty notes. The taste is the aforementioned spices, blended with a faint pumpkin body and limited hop bite. The body is a bit thin, but overall this is a very good specialty lager that signals the beginning of fall in Wisconsin.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

This was my first foray into Pumpkin Ales. Perhaps I was overly prepared for overwhelming pumpkin pie aroma and spices. I thought this was a very good dark lager. I enjoyed the earthy tones. It starts off pretty sweet before the earthiness takes over. Did not detect an overt taste of pumpkin, which was a good thing for me. Only detected slight spice, not as overwhelming as other reviewers.
Overall a pretty tasty, enjoyable brew.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a clear golden amber with 2 fingers of foamy white head. Ok retention and some spotty lacing. Smells of bread and lots of pumpkin pie spice. Tastes of light citrus up front then bread, cinnamon, and pumpkin. Medium light in body with good carbonation. Good pumpkin and spices, malty yet balanced. Not too intense on any of the flavors, but nicely paired. Pleasant, easy to drink and not tasting too high in alcohol, making for a very nice sessionable pumpkin ale for the fall season.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

The second you pop the top on a bottle of Lakefront Pumpkin Ale you can tell this beer isn't pussyfooting around. Spices and fruit fill the air.

The pour leaves a thin tan head with minimal lacing. It's a nice coppery red.

I get a lot more apple cider on the nose than pumpkin. In fact, it's a lot more cinnamon/apple than anything else. Which I like in a big way.

Lots of clove and an apple crispness on the palate. Some nice maltiness on the back end.

A very drinkable pumpkin beer. Perfect for a crisp fall afternoon.

3.94/5  rDev +15.2%

My buddy Paul has been talking this brew up the last few falls, so I'm finally giving it a try.

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A) Amber in color, about 1/2 inch of head, which was gone before I could get my nose into the pint. No lacing.

S) A combination of beer and spices. The smell is like pumpkin pie. In fact, I said to my wife, this smells like pumpkin pie.

T) Not as spiced as the smell led me to believe. A combination of malt, nutmeg and cinnamon. It really reminds me of a cider.

M) Light to medium/light. Actually, this is quite smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation to liven it up.

O) I have found most of the pumpkin beers I've tried to be a little to spiced for my liking. This one really hits the spot. It pains me to say this, but... Paul, you were right.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Pourz a cloudy pumpkin orange color, about a finger of head that quickly retreats into a thin layer of suds.

mmmm.... I smell pumpkin pie. lots of pumpkin and spiciness in the nose. lovely.

not quite as much pumpkin as is in the smell, but it's definitely there. At first i just taste like a really smooth lager, nice toasted caramel malts, and then the pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg roll across my tongue and linger. This is really good, but i'd love more pumpkin up front.

lower carbonation, light-medium bodied, very smooth and easy drinking.

This is one of the better Pumpkin lagers i've had yet. They did a nice job on this beer, and the ABV is perfect.

3.9/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured bottle into weizen glass

A- Although this is a lager, there is some color. It is a dark amber color with a light orange hue. There was a half to 3/4 inch head that billowed up and was very bubbly and carbonated. If there was a category for sound...this one would get loud while there is still head. For two minutes it fizzled until fading out.

S- This smells just like pumpkin pie. I have a slice I am about to eat and I am comparing the two by smell. After the head faded, it smells a bit more like a lager beer. But notes of pumpkin pie spices (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) are present, gingerbread cookies.

T- Taste is pleasant: cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pumpkin, slight spices, but finishes with a crisp taste associated with a lager (IMO). Not overly spicy, pretty well balanced.

M- Clean, crisp, refreshing, prickly, well carbonated, but not too carbonated. Not too heavy. Quite thin, but it seems to work with this beer.

O- This is actually much better than I thought. I had a beer tasting the other night where eight of us sampled 21 pumpkin beers. This was the onl;y lager and I was very surprised. I am drinking a full serving tonight and enjoying. I expected a Molsen Canadien that tasted like it had allspice and nutmeg mixed in. I was very wrong. This can stand up to the ales, and in some cases beat them any day. Try this, it is a different approach, but a good one!

3.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Very Dark Orange and Cloudy. Looks very unfiltered and the head is around a quarter of a head thick that turns into a filmy cover after a couple of minutes.

Smell - Pumpkin, Spices, Yeasts and some barley. It's not robust but it's alright; Very simple scent for a pumpkin beer.

Taste - Spices, Pumpkin, Barley and Malts. The malty backbone is there, but it's not too sweet which actually works in it's favor here.

Mouthfeel - It's very crisp and light. So crisp in fact that you want to savor the feel of the beer. It's very rare for me to find a mouthfeel that actually feels good on the palate. The crispness is thanks to the well balanced carbonation which helps add some flavor to the beer without being too sharp.

Overall - A simple tasting pumpkin beer with a good taste and even better palate. Check it out if you get the chance.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a light copper with a honey hue. The finger of head dissipates quickly. The nose is boldy pumpkin-like and there are spice notes as well. Light flavor, but the pumpkin is definitely there and nice spice notes of cinnamon and nutmeg are present on the finish. There is also a pleasant sweetness at the end.

Most pumpkin beers are ales, but this lager offering is a nice spicy treat that is light enough to be sessionable at a Halloween party.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

I have tried several beers from this brewery, and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them until I bought a six pack of this one. I really like pumpkin beer, and this one strikes a fine balance between pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin flavor. It is medium-bodied and sturdy enough to support the spices and remain smooth and drinkable. The amber color reminds one of an Oktoberfest, while the flavor mixes dried fruit, pumpkin, cinnamon and perhaps some clove. All in all an enjoyable tasty brew that's perfect for the harvest season. I'd buy this one again.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I must admit that this is the first pumpkin lager I have ever tried. Up to this point I have only had pumpkin ales. It cleary says "lager beer" on the bottle's front label. I had never heard of this beer or brewery before and just decided to take a chance with this one. This beer pours a fairly light and clear copper/orange color with a light tan head about one finger thick. The head has some nice staying power indeed, especially considering how small it is to begin with. Little lacing though. Spicy aromas of pumpkin, sweet malt, yeast, and cinnamon are present. It has a moderately sweet taste with fairly strong hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and citrus present followed by some malt, yeast and spice. Has a nice smooth yet creamy and smooth mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in a good way.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A Pumpkin...Lager? Let's see how this one fares. I love the label, by the way.

Appearance : Dense auburn colored body with a minimal 1 finger head that recedes to a ring of lace within a few seconds.

Smell : Sugared pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon. Baked brown sugar. Right on the money.

Taste : Sweet and spicy, lots of nutmeg and pumpkin, with brown sugar in the background, ends dry with cloves and more pumpkin. Reminds me of pumpkin bars. A festive treat. It doesn't suffer from the sourness of an ale, so that's a plus. Traditionally though, a pumpkin "ale" has more flavor. I think they made up for that lack of flavor with spicy adjuncts - and that's fine with me.

Straight out of the bottle you get heavy clove and peanut m&m. It's amazing what a difference there is between glass and bottle. They're both good in my book here.

Mouthfeel : Spicy mouthfeel, if that makes sense. Not exactly carbonated, not exactly watery, but it bites a bit. And then it ends semi-dry. Interesting take.

Overall : I do like this beer, and I think I'd be willing to split a six pack with friends. There's nothing real off or wrong about this beer, but it is definitely not the best pumpkin beer I've had in recent memory. It's a good seasonal, if you find it, give it a try.

Edit, I'm eating a tuna sandwich now finishing up this beer. It actually pairs well with that, so it's not a totally "by itself" beer. This one was easy to finish. Bottoms up!

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Golden Yellow, a little hazy. White fizzy head, doesn't trail off too quickly. I'm intrigued by this one. Looks Good.

Smell - This smells sweet, maybe a little citrus, some honey. Pumpkin is there but not obtrusive.

Taste - Light, crisp, and a little sweet. I swear I'm tasting honey here, but I might be off. The pumpkin is coming through just right. I taste clove and nutmeg. The 6.0% abv is pretty up front in this one, but it's not a bad thing

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, it's a little carbonation heavy for a second but finishes nicely, which is what I expect for this style. Really enjoyable.

Overall - Really like this one. It delivers what I want in a pumpkin lager. The pumpkin and spices are there but they aren't overpowering. It all sits very well. This is clean, refreshing and very drinkable. I'd certainly pick this up again.

3.87/5  rDev +13.2%

I got this as an extra from BeerFMAndy as part of an amazing Wisconsin monster box trade.

Poured into a Dogfish Head chalice:

A: Pours a fairly clear, yet mildly peppery orange color with about a 1/2 inch head which keeps a fairly decent retention throughout.

S: All the standard pumpkin spices are present: cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, cloves, and a healthy presence from the gourd itself.

T: Did I mention cinnamon? Yep....that spice takes center stage here and since that is my favorite spice, I'm kinda digging this. The body is a bit on the medium-thin side, but the brew is not too sweet or syrupy and full of pumpkin goodness!

M: No stickiness hanging on for dear life and carbonation level is spot on.

D: While this one doesn't stand out in the vast sea of pumpkin ales on the market, the Lakefront Pumpkin is underappreciated compared to the previous reviews on BA IMO.

3.86/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Good amount of head, and the color is close to amber with hints or orange in it.

Smell: Spices are apparent but not overly strong and is actually quite nice. Has small hints of pumpkin but not a lot, more emphasis on spices and especially on fruit.

Taste: You only get hints of the spice and pumpkin but more then anything you get the taste of fruit. It overwhelms the pumpkin and makes the beer very fragrant.

Mouthfeel: At first slightly carbonated but then becomes smooth. One thing though, it kind of stays in your mouth for a while. The beer was all over my teeth and not really going anywhere which is really odd.

Drinkability: It's definitely refreshing and a nice beer, but not what I'm looking for in a pumpkin beer. It is way to light on the spices and pumpkin, instead offering a really tangy and strong taste of fruit. I still think its a good beer, just not what I would go for as my first choice in pumpkin beers.

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

Not a bad looking pumpkin. Some yeast particles float about mingling with carbonation bubbles. A small white head appears atop leaving little lace.

Aromas are obviously pumpkin. With the usual spices that go but it is lacking any depth of malt and little prescence of hops.

I like this pumpkin ale. Mouthfeel is great. It is very balanced and not overly done with the spices. Pumpkin stands at the forefront with all spice and nutmeg. Also afterthoughts of cinnamon, and even some fig make appearances.

Love the round mouth. Easily drinkable.

3.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

L: A light copper orange. Poured with almost no head which quickly dissipates. It did leave lacing all the way down the glass.

S: No spices. A little caramelly, bready, pumpkin aroma.

T: Bready and a little pumpkin. No spices.

F: Light bodied. Clean and crisp. Went down smooth. A real easy drinker. A reminder how much different lagers can be.

O: A real treat. I enjoyed this one.

3.84/5  rDev +12.3%

I've had many a pumpkin brew, but this is my first pumpkin lager. I was hoping it offered something more than all the lighter boring pumpkin ales that are popping up everywhere, and I was decently surprised.

A - A somewhat hazy, copper color. Poured a decent head, but dissipated fairly quickly.

S - Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, hint of apples, and a very faint pumpkin.

T - Has similar flavors of most pumpkin beers, like the spices and pumpkin flavor, obviously. But it also has a good malt sweetness and balance to it. Tastes more like a decent octoberfest with a pumpkin twist, which is why I like this beer more than most regular pumpkins.

M - Has more body than most pumpkin beers I've had. Carbonation is just enough, not overwhelming.

Overall I would drink this beer again. Not great in the same light of a lot of imperial pumpkin ales, but pretty damn good as far as a lighter pumpkin brew goes.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Served in a bottle. I bought a whole pack of these today at Pick N Save for tonight's Packer game, figured since I was drinking it I would review it.

Appearance: has a nice orange color to it, good head and decent lacing

Smell: has both a pumpkin and cinnamon smell to it. the two of them can be differentiated (i mean that in a good sort of way)

Taste: the sweetness of the pumpkin hits first, but then after that I picked up a cinnamon and clove taste. there is definitely a good blend of pumpkin and spice here.

Mouthfeel: has a pretty average lager texture to it, which while not bad in most cases, I would almost like this one to be a bit less carbonated so it doesn't detract from the pumpkin flavor (then again, that's my opinion. regardless, I do like this one).

Overall: I did read from some of the other reviews on here that some people did pick up on almost a crust-like flavor in the background. I do get that impression from this one. All in all, this is a good seasonal selection. personally i would like it if this was an all year beer instead of a seasonal.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Pours out a nice clean yellow and sits radiant amber in the glass. Cool looking gradient in my particular glasss (bright yellow to to deep amber brown). Small white head is gone almost as soon as it appears and only leaves a trace along the edges.

Smells of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and all-spice...the usual pumpkin spices. Some notes of raw pumpkin and baked brown sugar. Very nice aroma.

Tastes stongly of cloves and all-spice. Lightly sweet with almost no detectable hops to balance it off. Only a slight amount of bitterness exists in the finish. Flavors of warmed pumkin flesh ooze out from the spices and lends a vegetal aftertaste.

Smooth and stringy in the mouth, carbonation on target, medium body. Body pushes out all the flavors you could hope for.

A nice pumpkin beer, though there's a bit too much cloves for my particular tastes. Still, probably one of the better ones out there.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

12 oz bottle. Label says bottled the 4th week of July. Pours a lighter amber color, slightly hazy. Thin white head disappears very quickly, and leaves no lace.

Pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon, nutmeg up front. A hint of grainy malt. Earthy noes as well in the nose. Maybe a bit perfumy, or even artificial.

Nice smooth malt character, just a bit toasty. Some pumpkin vegetable-like flavor. Some of the cinnamon and nutmeg come in next with a bit of sweetness. Earthy finish.

Lighter body, with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth, with a few highlights. Not bad.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

A bit different because it you drink this too cold, its worthless. But its a lager and you dont really want it to warm up too much. Semi hazy amber bronze color. Smallish white head atop dwindles instantly. Not much of a sign of carbonation after the initial pour. Once warmed a touch, there's a solid pumpkin precense. Lots of spice in the aroma but the spice array is a bit more indescript than other pumpkin beers I have tried. Decent pumpkin beer all around. Smoother than most yet with a nice array of flavors. Finish is a tad too spiced. Solid for one, I don't think I'd really care for another.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

This is one flavored beer I truly enjoy every year in fall. It is out early this year Aug 24. I fist had it on tap at The Mason Tavern a few years back, and what stood out was that it was easy drinking, full of flavor, and for a spiced beer, I could have drank it all night.

I poured it into a lager mug, color, pumpkin-orange, hazy, cloudy, very nice.

It had a initial aroma that was tart, sharp spice.

The flavor is beautiful, a nice lager with a mild yet full of flavor pumpkin, that sits on the back of the tongue, thick, bready, like you could chew it. Better even when the carbonation dissipates. This is one of the best pumpkin beers out there. They use real pumpkin, not just flavorings.

A excellent beer!

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a cloudy gold color with only a thin lace of head around the edge of the clear. A lot of floaties in this one. Aroma is pleasant with hints of nutmeg. The taste is full of spices, especially nutmeg and ginger, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is a little harsh, seems quite carbonated and doesn't go down all the smooth, but not much bitterness here either. Although the appearance is lackluster and mouthfeel isn't anything to brag about the aroma and taste are what make this beer stand out. Overall this is a decent beer.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a hazy orange amber body with a small offwhite head. Good patchy lacing. Standard pumpkin beer aroma of pie spices. Cinnamon, ginger, and clove mostly. Medium carbonation and a light medium body. Taste is nicely balanced. Some genuine pumpkin flavors mingle with the dominant spicing and some spicy hops to create a pleasantly drinkable lager. I prefer this one to most of the pumpkin ales I've tried. Not bad.

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.