Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

good

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

(Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

I've recently become enamored with various seasonal selections and begun snatching up every Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale, etc I can get my hands on.

With that being said, this particular selection is easily the oddest of the bunch. Its pours very cloudy, deep brown/orange with an unsatisfying, almost nonexistent off-white head that fades to nothing in around two seconds flat. Nothing I've seen yet is characteristic of a lager.

The aroma is again, a little off. Some spice and malt are present. Nutmeg and a bit of pumpkin, but mostly a dirty kind of spice and dull malt.

I wouldn't say that it's bland, but the flavor is not what I expected at all. All spice and nutmeg initially that is a bit dull and again rather 'dirty' on the tongue. A bit of pumpkin in the background. At first sip I was pleasantly surprised to try something that was totally different, but as I drank the flavor became increasingly unpleasant.

Throughout the experience, this beer was very uncharacteristic for a lager. Almost no carbonation and an odd grainy texture. The starchy malt lingers on the palate. Probably my least favorite of the dozen or so pumpkin ales I've tried this fall. I will however try it again next year and reevaluate.

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. The Original Pumpkin Lager Beer Pumpkin Ale itself.

Pours an uninspiring orange/amber with a bubbly head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell is heavy on the all-purpose pumpkin pie spice assortment, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg and some sugrary sweet caramel notes. Taste continues with the canned spice extract and sweet pumpkin/caramel malt, but unfortunately entertains an astringent, medicinal bitterness that turns it all foul. Mouth feel is thin but slick. There's just a lot going on here that doesn't mesh together. It's all a little artificial, no real substance. Dogfish and O'Fallon are oth far superior to this timid offering.

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

Hazed dark golden tone. Just a skimming of a white head. Lacing is minimal. Nose is all about the spices. Pumpkin Pie spice, clove, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. A little sweet malt underlying everything. This beer's got some spice on the buds, but it's pretty weak in the malt department. Pumpkin taste is lacking. It's a little phenolic/medicinal as well. Not really that enjoyable.

2.73/5  rDev -22%

OH snap, B- review. Well, I've had some surprises with that before. But this being a lager, not sure. But I have to continue my pumpkin beer quest. I poured this into my DFH pint glass, and I almost feel like I'm shaming DFH, but let's see.

A: Pours a decent airy and bubbly head, about 1/2 a finger that quickly fades to a light covering. Another brilliantly clear offering with a pale orange light toasty brown color. Very few bubbles rise to the top and let the head fade to dust.

N: Yep, just as I thought, a sweet pumpkin aroma with lots of spice, and almost a creamy syrup and vanilla. Lots of pumpkin and syrup and spice blanket the nose.

T: Taste pretty much confirms the nose, with the start of a sweet extract like styrupy taste containing some pumpkin extract flavors and some spices. The spice isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The syrupy extract like tastes and pumpkin flavors make it very run-of-the-mill. I don't get much for lager tastes either, and def not much for hops or bitterness. It's pretty sweet too.

M: Syrupy and light carbonation.

F: Still semi sweet, and leaves a weirding syrup taste that doesn't go away as quick as you would like. But, it's not too bad on the finish. Not very refreshing, crisp, or light as you would expect from a lager.

Final thoughts: Pretty boring pumpkin beer, with light tastes, lots of syrup like tastes and flavorings, semi sweet, low carbonation, low spices at least, and it's so called lager but I really don't get much for lager tastes or crisp refreshingness.

2.76/5  rDev -21.1%

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber orange with 2+ fingers of poofy brite-white head. Fizzles down pretty quickly into just the thinnest coating of foam. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way through the glass and it allready looks lifeless. Nice retention there. The aroma is waaay overspiced smelling. This is literally hurting my nose as I sniff it. There's some residual sweetness and floral hops back behind all of the spice but they barely make a dent in this bouquet.

The taste comes off to me as way too sweet, tangy, and once again overspiced. There's some green pumpkin taste back there as well but man, I can't get this tanginess out of my mouth! Them mouthfeel is medium bodied with a more viscous feel and lower carbonation that does the taste profile zero favors.

Well, as you can see, this didn't work for me at all. Way too overspiced and cloying at times. Maybe if there had bit a bit of Lager like crispness, this would have gone down easier but nope. I won't be visiting this again.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured a cloudy golden-orange color, aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin. Small white head that doesn't last, not much lacing either. Pumpkin , ginger, cinnamon and butter bread flavors, Medium body body with a buttery mouthfeel, finishes pretty sweet, I had a tough time finishing the bottle.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours like tea. Dark orange, minimal carbonation.

Smells like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Aggressively spicy, and pretty generic. It's nice but not really even pumpkiny, just spicy.

Tastes like it smells. Not exactly bland, not exactly boilerplate, but not exactly well-brewed. It's all spice, only those spices are inexpertly measured and there's none of the tangy or mellow pumpkin nodes of other such brews to cut into the aggressive cinnamon and nutmeg nodes.

It's like a pumpkin pie baked by a middle school home ec class. It's edible, since it's pumpkin pie and honestly I'd eat pumpkin pie that had been dropped on the floor. But the seasoning hints towards a complete lack of experience on behalf of the people who baked it, like they just raided the spice cabinet and started pouring things in all willy nilly.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Dense two-finger head, off-white in color. The beer itself is amber-orange that is unique among pumpkin beers. No lacing that clings to the sides, but a thin ring of bubbles around the glass.
S: Sweet, musty, pumpkin-like smell with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. No detectable hop scents, though the brewery claims Hallertau are used.
T: Unsubtle yeasty, pumpkin flavor upfront, joined with malt sweetness and followed by cinnamon and clove tastes. After taste of weak cinnamon red hots, somewhat artificial.
M: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated for the light to medium body with an otherwise smooth texture. Slightly dry in the finish, likely from the hops, yet no detectable hop bitterness.
D: Average to slightly below average pumpkin beer. This is a lager and not an ale, so the brewery is trying something different here. It's too bad the results aren't that spectacular.

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release. Poured into a Founders snifter today, 10/2/2013.

Pours a clear amber hue, perhaps more of a copper hue in the right lighting. Not much of a head, which is white and disappears into almost nothing immediately. No lacing either.

Lots of spices (especially nutmeg) in the nose and not much else.. maybe a little bit of pumpkin filling. No yeast or malt sweetness anywhere.

Tastes similar to the nose, still there is a decent caramel sweetness that underlies the pumpkin and nutmeg. A little bit of that different spice flavour that I recognize from most other lagers, which I assume is the lager yeast's contribution.

Typical lager mouthfeel, a bit thin but that's about right. I think this beer is undercarbonated though.. A bit sticky and dry. Nothing special. Kind of refreshing, but at the same time the spice flavour profile kind of makes this a hard one to finish for me.

This is a fairly decent pumpkin beer, no more no less. I wouldn't buy this again.

2.8/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Poured fizzy and soda-y with light head that dissipated down to almost nothing with no lacing. The color is copper to amber and very clear.

Aroma: The aroma is initially very nice with plenty of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. There is some pumpkin aroma, but mostly spices. The aroma fades after a while in the glass, but the first impressions are again very nice.

Mouthfeel: This a light and fizzy soda-like drink. I am not generally a lager fan, so it is difficult for me to comment on the mouthfeel vs. how it is SUPPOSED to be, but I didn't like it. It felt thin with harsh carbonation.

Taste: The pleasing aroma doesn't carry over to taste. I tasted very little to no pumpkin and minimal spice. The carbonation again was a big minus for me. It's pretty dry with a hint of sweetness, but overall kind of sour (not bitter in a hoppy way). The aftertaste doesn't linger but that is good because it is rather sour.

Overall impression: This was my first pumpkin beer (and my first attempt at drinking a beer for a review -- I joined a review group and pumpkin beer was first on the agenda)) and I will say it was interesting. The initial aroma was far and away the highlight for me and I found it less enjoyable as I went along. It is definitely more pumpkin PIE than straight pumpkin, but that may be standard for this type of brew. I am a big fan of pumpkin pie, but had never had the desire to try a pumpkin beer. While I probably won't pick this one up again, it WAS enough to get me interested in trying other pumpkin beers.

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%

bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. pours a lightly hazy amber-orangish color with a finger and a half of eggshell colored head that retains moderately and leaves no lacings.

aroma is spicy, with nutmeg and allspice notes, as well as a pumpkin-like base and distant notes of vanilla and some caramel. overall, quite spicy without much for malt or hop notes. a bit of caramel malt character comes out after a bit of warming, but it is overpowered by the spice.

taste is more of the same with a distinct spiced character that hinders the drinkability and palatability. the brew is heavy on the pumpkin spice and discounts the pumpkin flavors and malt notes to produce an overly-spiced brew.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp and spiced texture and a finish of residual nutmeg and light caramel malts.

drinkability is decent. any BA who loves pumpkin pie spices will like this brew, but for those looking for a balanced pumpkin beer, this is not good. pumpkin beers should be treated like ESBs, where it is all about balance. too many end up as over-spiced fall beers that are not very drinkable, and this is no exception.

2.85/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a hazy light orange. Small head that faded to almost nothing.Looks really watery. Some sediment floating around along with carbonation coming up from random places. After a few sips head did fall to nothing.

Smells of clove, nutmeg and it seems like a touch of cinnamon. I smell a funky yeast in there as well that I associate with an ale. Smells kind of interesting. Can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

Has the taste of a mulled cider but at the end I pick up the yeast maybe? A little twang. Not much pumpkin if any though. Which is a little disappointing considering what it is.

The mouthfeel is a on the light side of medium. Leaves my mouth a little tingly but it's just average.

I'd probably only drink one of these. It's an easy drinker but being as plain as it is and the spices present I couldn't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall this beer is about as average as you can get. I was hoping for a little more. I always get excited for the seasonals but this was a let down. For some reason this beer drinks more like a cider. Every drink I take I seem to think it needs to be heated up and a cinnamon stick thrown in it. Worth a try if you can just buy a single bottle.

Slainte!

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

pours hazy orange with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells more like xmas (allspice) very little pumpkin

taste - this beer is more anchor xmas ale than most pumpkin brews - the aftertaste is the only time the pumpkin shows up

mouthfeel is light with no carbonation

drinkability is not good since there are plenty of other good/great pumpkin beers

2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: Bright orange. Little to no head. A chill haze dissipated rather quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell: Nice sweet cinnamon. Some nutmeg, allspice, and the rest of the usual suspects. A touch sweet, but it's got that lovely combination of real beer with pumpkin thrown in for extra measure. A nice balance of grassy, sweet malts and pumpkin. Faint touches of real pumpkin come through as well. Particularly heavy on the cinnamon.

Taste: Sharp bit of spices. Cinnamon assaults everything, adding a spiciness that is rather unexpected. Loads of cinnamon. Nutmeg rounds out the back. After some warming, the spices take another jump up, but the malts add some sweetness, attempting to balance out the spice. It almost works, but falls short in the long run. A touch bready, almost crusty with some grassy notes in the back of it all.

Mouthfeel: A little thin with a slightly high carbonation. It definitely drinks like a nice crisp lager. A little dry, but never aggressively so.

Overall: Lager + pumpkin = interesting combination. The crisp nature coupled with the fall spices plays out like an homage to summer gone and fall coming. It's stuck somewhere in the middle of good and meh.

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.