Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -29.2%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Light copper color with head about 3/4 inch thick that fades slowly.

S - Lots of pumpkin and some spice.

T - Very light. Too much pumpkin too little spice.

M - A little too much carbonation.

D - Not impressed at all. I've been spoiled in that I used to live closer to Deleware and had DogfishHead pumpkin all the time. This is not even close.

3.17/5  rDev -7.3%

A slightly vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a fat, three-finger thick, pale tan colored head that sits atop a brilliantly clear, reddish, copper colored beer. The beer is obviously spiced with the typical pumpkin pie spices as the aroma even as I pour it is quite redolent of cinnamon, nutmeg and perhaps a touch of ginger. A deeper sampling of the aroma yields nothing more than these spices and perhaps a touch of dusty malt.

Fairly dry, with perhaps a hint of sweetness that just peeks through a tart spice character. Spice flavors of nutmeg & cinnamon dominate, but there is perhaps a touch of character that might be attributed to pumpkin, but only just barely. There is a ginger note noticeable in the finish as well as a slightly astringent spice bitterness. Crystal malt contributed caramelized sugar flavors and a medium / light malt fullness help convey the pumpkin pie analogy a bit further.

This is certainly an enjoyable version of a Pumpkin beer, and it does have actually have some pumpkin flavor to it, despite the slightly heavy handed spicing. This is a touch richer, and a bit more like desert that say something like Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin ale, but it still is to light to really be anywhere near representative of pie in a glass.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

4.29/5  rDev +25.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy, but bright orange, with a thick white head which stays for the whole glass, fair lacing.

S: Smells of pumpkin and spices, as expected, quite fragrant, actually.

T: Full flavour of pumpkin and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and all-spice. A little on the artificial side, but overall, one of the better pumpkin beers I have ever had.

M: Light, smooth, needs a little more body.

D: Overall, very good. We don't get many pumpkin beers here in the Southland, so it was nice to see another one, and a good one to boot.

Edit (10/2/11) - Had this one much fresher, some I'm upping some scores.

3.42/5  rDev 0%

I was going to a fall party, and picked up a six-pack of this to round out my other beer selections I brought with me. This is not the best pumpkin beer I've had (that would be Southern Tier Pumking), and it is not the most pumpkin-y (I think that would be O'Fallon's pumpkin - but I haven't had it since last year), but it is a crowd-pleaser of a beer; a good choice for people used to drinking American lagers but looking for something festive.

Color is light lager color with some haziness. Aroma is definitely pumpkin-pie like; there was a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon spiciness and some suggestion of canned pumpkin pie filling. Flavor is more of the same, with a more pronounced suggestion of its pumpkin ingredients than I got from Jack's or DFH Punkin' (whose tastes didn't really inform me that they were pumpkin beers). Mouthfeel it is a bit thin, but given that this is a lager, appropriate. Not bad, and made me feel like it was fall.

I would argue that pumpkin pie is one of those items where there is not that much difference between the best and worst you've ever had. I would suggest that the same might be said for pumpkin beer.

Still, I enjoyed this one. Recommended.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a cloudy gold color with only a thin lace of head around the edge of the clear. A lot of floaties in this one. Aroma is pleasant with hints of nutmeg. The taste is full of spices, especially nutmeg and ginger, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is a little harsh, seems quite carbonated and doesn't go down all the smooth, but not much bitterness here either. Although the appearance is lackluster and mouthfeel isn't anything to brag about the aroma and taste are what make this beer stand out. Overall this is a decent beer.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazed orange color with a small white head that thins. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is all pumpkin spices. Doesn't smell extremely spicy, but no other notable aromatics.

Taste is light and consists largely of pumpkin pie spices with a very faint hint of malt and yeast. Finishes very clean and dry.

Light body, zippy carbonation.

Another interesting take on the pumpkin thing, and it works well. The mild spicing is enjoyable and works well with the clean and dry lager base. Especially good on these 80 degree October days.

2.69/5  rDev -21.3%

I've recently become enamored with various seasonal selections and begun snatching up every Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale, etc I can get my hands on.

With that being said, this particular selection is easily the oddest of the bunch. Its pours very cloudy, deep brown/orange with an unsatisfying, almost nonexistent off-white head that fades to nothing in around two seconds flat. Nothing I've seen yet is characteristic of a lager.

The aroma is again, a little off. Some spice and malt are present. Nutmeg and a bit of pumpkin, but mostly a dirty kind of spice and dull malt.

I wouldn't say that it's bland, but the flavor is not what I expected at all. All spice and nutmeg initially that is a bit dull and again rather 'dirty' on the tongue. A bit of pumpkin in the background. At first sip I was pleasantly surprised to try something that was totally different, but as I drank the flavor became increasingly unpleasant.

Throughout the experience, this beer was very uncharacteristic for a lager. Almost no carbonation and an odd grainy texture. The starchy malt lingers on the palate. Probably my least favorite of the dozen or so pumpkin ales I've tried this fall. I will however try it again next year and reevaluate.

3.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a hazy orange amber body with a small offwhite head. Good patchy lacing. Standard pumpkin beer aroma of pie spices. Cinnamon, ginger, and clove mostly. Medium carbonation and a light medium body. Taste is nicely balanced. Some genuine pumpkin flavors mingle with the dominant spicing and some spicy hops to create a pleasantly drinkable lager. I prefer this one to most of the pumpkin ales I've tried. Not bad.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

Poured a light bright copper hue with a one finger creamy white head. There was good retention and decent lacing.

The smell featured elements of pumpkin flesh and rind with some cinnamon and nutmeg.

The taste consisted of some upfront pumpkin spices with a mild sweetness. Some grainy malts as well. The flavor was a bit weak for the style however.

The mouthfeel was toward the thinner side with an awkward creaminess at the finish.

Overall a decent spiced pumpkin lager. It seems to me that the fuller body of an ale is better suited for the style.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%

a - poured a three-fingers thick off-white and bubbly head into a snifter that left nice lace and sheeting and really billows when swirled. the body was a bright amber color.
s - sweet, syrupy, grainy with a hint of caramel. tastes good but not what i was expecting.
t - hints of cinnamon and pumpkin.
m - slick and very creamy.
d - nice and easy sipper.

3.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Lighter in color than I expected, an almost golden amber. The aroma is very strong, and suggests pumpkin and cinnamon. Before trying this beer, I was never quite sure what "mouthfeel" actually meant. But this beer has a definite mouthfeel that, to me, is dry and almost powdery. Almost as if the spices are floating right on top. The taste is okay and definitely Pumpkin, but the dry feeling is tough for me to get past.

2.46/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Why why why why do they keep making beers like this. I know there is a market for this but there just so damn bad. There is really only 2 pumpkin beers that I think are even decent and this is not one out them. It looks good in the glass. I would probably drink it off of looks. The smell has nutmeg and cinnamon to it. The taste is kind of like a red beer that they drug through a wheat field. There are nutmeg and odd spices that don’t really sit well with me.

2.65/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a half finger orange-tan head over a cloudy dark apricot liquid. Head settles to a persistent fluff around the edges. Smells pie spicey with crust hints. dDy sand dusty and lacking malt and ester character. Earthy pumpkin rind is as close as this beer get to fruit.

Tastes very simple. Dry and spice. Pumpkin rind. Orange flavor late and dries with a carbonaton that acridly clears the palette. peppery zing. Md mouthfeel and stingy carbonation that I found distracting.

2.4/5  rDev -29.8%

I've never had this style before. I received an 8-pack sampler as a Christmas Present and am working my way through it.

Appearance : Poured a hazy light orange with and Off white head that quickly disappeared to nothing. No lacing what so ever.

Smell: Sweet with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Taste: Malty sweet with taste of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel : Watery thin body that finished dry

Drink-ability : Didn't do anything for me. It went down easy but I did not enjoy drinking this beer. Glad I tried it and I'm glad it was part of a gift pack.

4.02/5  rDev +17.5%

Received in trade from midwest mussel-mangler mnwags (aka Schlitzboy). Thanks Nick!

Poured into a John's Grocery tulip glass, received a somewhat cloudy dark orange with a small head that didn't retain very long.

Lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in the nose, the usual pumpkin pie spices but very little real pumpkin despite many deep whiffs. That's okay, it smells good anyway.

Spices are many, with nutmeg and ginger up front, some white pepper, some allspice. Again, not a whole lot of actual pumpkin coming to mind/tongue, but don't most pumpkin ales lean heavier on the other spices than the pumpkin itself? Such a great idea for a beer style, but so few achieve true pumpkin-ness.

Love the finish, a firm desserty spiciness, even a subtle nuttiness, and, yep, finally, there's the pumpkin. Spreads out far and wide, and the carbonation is moderate to generous.

Apparently this one varies wildly from batch to batch, and this particular batch (bottled second week of Oct. '06) seems a solid version of the style, but still would like to feel like I licked the inside of a pumpkin guts-and-all. Real good, but still searching for that perfect pumpkin ale...

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer starts with a medium-strong spice aroma of cloves and nutmeg. Deep copper/orange color is great for this style. Medium-full bodied with a big pumpkin taste and med-low spices to balance. Again diacetyl detracts from this beer, mostly in the finish.

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

This was an impromptu pick up, forgot I tried this, let's see if this fares any better:

Pours caramel with a 1" off-white head. Zero head rentention or lacing

S: Big pumpkin pie spices, cinamon, nutmeg & brown sugar up front. A little malt sweetness sneaks in, along with a little metallic taste. Finsishes sweet with some astrignency

MF: Light/medium bodied, a little low in cabonation, but skews too sweet balance-wise

Drinks okay, basically one or 2 & that's it. We're having a halloween paty, I'm sure I can foist these on some unsuspecting guests...I messed up (again)

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

A bit different because it you drink this too cold, its worthless. But its a lager and you dont really want it to warm up too much. Semi hazy amber bronze color. Smallish white head atop dwindles instantly. Not much of a sign of carbonation after the initial pour. Once warmed a touch, there's a solid pumpkin precense. Lots of spice in the aroma but the spice array is a bit more indescript than other pumpkin beers I have tried. Decent pumpkin beer all around. Smoother than most yet with a nice array of flavors. Finish is a tad too spiced. Solid for one, I don't think I'd really care for another.

2.3/5  rDev -32.7%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck. Marked with the botled date and week - a year would be nice just in case a shady distributor has sat on this for a year.

Appearance: Rough pour produces a small bubbly head that disappears quickly. Cloudy and red-orange.

Smell: Huge spice - typical pumpkin pie spice aroma. Not much malt or beer aroma, but it definitely smells like pumpkin pie.

Taste: Thin mouthfeel, all spice, no beer. Finish is strange - medicinal.

Overall impression: Meh - this beer is not quite right. I won't be looking again.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I must admit that this is the first pumpkin lager I have ever tried. Up to this point I have only had pumpkin ales. It cleary says "lager beer" on the bottle's front label. I had never heard of this beer or brewery before and just decided to take a chance with this one. This beer pours a fairly light and clear copper/orange color with a light tan head about one finger thick. The head has some nice staying power indeed, especially considering how small it is to begin with. Little lacing though. Spicy aromas of pumpkin, sweet malt, yeast, and cinnamon are present. It has a moderately sweet taste with fairly strong hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and citrus present followed by some malt, yeast and spice. Has a nice smooth yet creamy and smooth mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in a good way.

2.89/5  rDev -15.5%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a hazy light orange. Small head that faded to almost nothing.Looks really watery. Some sediment floating around along with carbonation coming up from random places. After a few sips head did fall to nothing.

Smells of clove, nutmeg and it seems like a touch of cinnamon. I smell a funky yeast in there as well that I associate with an ale. Smells kind of interesting. Can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

Has the taste of a mulled cider but at the end I pick up the yeast maybe? A little twang. Not much pumpkin if any though. Which is a little disappointing considering what it is.

The mouthfeel is a on the light side of medium. Leaves my mouth a little tingly but it's just average.

I'd probably only drink one of these. It's an easy drinker but being as plain as it is and the spices present I couldn't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall this beer is about as average as you can get. I was hoping for a little more. I always get excited for the seasonals but this was a let down. For some reason this beer drinks more like a cider. Every drink I take I seem to think it needs to be heated up and a cinnamon stick thrown in it. Worth a try if you can just buy a single bottle.

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

Not a bad looking pumpkin. Some yeast particles float about mingling with carbonation bubbles. A small white head appears atop leaving little lace.

Aromas are obviously pumpkin. With the usual spices that go but it is lacking any depth of malt and little prescence of hops.

I like this pumpkin ale. Mouthfeel is great. It is very balanced and not overly done with the spices. Pumpkin stands at the forefront with all spice and nutmeg. Also afterthoughts of cinnamon, and even some fig make appearances.

Love the round mouth. Easily drinkable.

this was also the first pumpkin lager of the season for me... and i admit i was excited for it. poured out into the pint a lustrous orange-amber with a very dense 1/2" layer of microfoam across the surface that remained until the glass was finished.

smell... since i thought it might be my first review, this is the first time i really paused to smell a beer before i took a sip... and i'm not sure how to describe it. roses came to mind. the sweetness of this particular batch really seemed to take over... but without being overpowering.

which brings us to taste... the sweet pumpkin really seemed to dance throughout. i caught none of the spiciness that others described; and that i expected from previous experience with this beer. to my palate, the flavors were perfectly balanced. (note: i had brushed my teeth about a half hour beforehand and could still taste some mint from that, so it may have masked some of the spices others mentioned.)

mouthfeel: this beer was smooth... notable carbonation, but distributed well throughout each sip and gives it more of a creamy texture than anything.. each sip accompanied by some of that thin layer of microfoam from the surface.

drinkability: i'm about to have another. and then possibly another. this is one of my favorite beers, hands-down.

also to note: i agree with the person who mentioned that some batches are different than others. i was elated with this last beer i poured out, but would not give as high a score to other batches i've tried. still, lakefront's pumpkin lager won me over the first time i tried it... and it's something i look forward to every season.

3.13/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz single, bought a 6 pack at Woodmans...enjoyed on opening saturday of the college football season, 1st pumpkin of the season for me

appearance: poured into a Sweetwater pint glass...orange-amber body, creamy beige head with decent lacing

smell: aroma is heavy on the holiday spices, cinnamon and nutmeg dominate, pumpkin is covered up by the heavy spice aroma, sweet malt

taste: Well...I dont really think this is bad but its a bad pumpkin beer. Its mostly a spiced beer with a heavy cinnamon nature, strong ginger, clove, lemon, pumpkin, sweet syrupy malt, nutmeg

mouthfeel: strongly spiced, medium-light body

drinkability: decent

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

Purchased bottle in Menomonee Falls, WI. This was a decent fruit/vegetable beer, except for the overpowering nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices added to pumpkin pie. This is much like Leinie’s Apple Spice in that the motto seems to be "The More Spices, The More Flavor". Well, more isn’t always better. As opposed to Blue Moon’s far superior pumpkin beer, Lakefront’s lager is too overspiced. The beer looks good, a cloudy orangish color. It smells like Thanksgiving at Grandma’s. The flavor was overpowering as previously stated, too much perfume/sweetness in what could have been a nice autumn brew. Definitely not up to Lakefront’s quality standards.

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.