Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

(Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
BrewnZ

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

This beer starts with a medium-strong spice aroma of cloves and nutmeg. Deep copper/orange color is great for this style. Medium-full bodied with a big pumpkin taste and med-low spices to balance. Again diacetyl detracts from this beer, mostly in the finish.

11-08-2006 06:42:26 | More by BrewnZ
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

This was an impromptu pick up, forgot I tried this, let's see if this fares any better:

Pours caramel with a 1" off-white head. Zero head rentention or lacing

S: Big pumpkin pie spices, cinamon, nutmeg & brown sugar up front. A little malt sweetness sneaks in, along with a little metallic taste. Finsishes sweet with some astrignency

MF: Light/medium bodied, a little low in cabonation, but skews too sweet balance-wise

Drinks okay, basically one or 2 & that's it. We're having a halloween paty, I'm sure I can foist these on some unsuspecting guests...I messed up (again)

10-28-2006 01:38:40 | More by russpowell
granger10

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

A bit different because it you drink this too cold, its worthless. But its a lager and you dont really want it to warm up too much. Semi hazy amber bronze color. Smallish white head atop dwindles instantly. Not much of a sign of carbonation after the initial pour. Once warmed a touch, there's a solid pumpkin precense. Lots of spice in the aroma but the spice array is a bit more indescript than other pumpkin beers I have tried. Decent pumpkin beer all around. Smoother than most yet with a nice array of flavors. Finish is a tad too spiced. Solid for one, I don't think I'd really care for another.

10-13-2006 22:11:25 | More by granger10
rowew

Colorado

2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck. Marked with the botled date and week - a year would be nice just in case a shady distributor has sat on this for a year.

Appearance: Rough pour produces a small bubbly head that disappears quickly. Cloudy and red-orange.

Smell: Huge spice - typical pumpkin pie spice aroma. Not much malt or beer aroma, but it definitely smells like pumpkin pie.

Taste: Thin mouthfeel, all spice, no beer. Finish is strange - medicinal.

Overall impression: Meh - this beer is not quite right. I won't be looking again.

10-11-2006 20:15:33 | More by rowew
neenerzig

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

I must admit that this is the first pumpkin lager I have ever tried. Up to this point I have only had pumpkin ales. It cleary says "lager beer" on the bottle's front label. I had never heard of this beer or brewery before and just decided to take a chance with this one. This beer pours a fairly light and clear copper/orange color with a light tan head about one finger thick. The head has some nice staying power indeed, especially considering how small it is to begin with. Little lacing though. Spicy aromas of pumpkin, sweet malt, yeast, and cinnamon are present. It has a moderately sweet taste with fairly strong hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and citrus present followed by some malt, yeast and spice. Has a nice smooth yet creamy and smooth mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in a good way.

Eric

10-07-2006 03:33:56 | More by neenerzig
joe1510

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a hazy light orange. Small head that faded to almost nothing.Looks really watery. Some sediment floating around along with carbonation coming up from random places. After a few sips head did fall to nothing.

Smells of clove, nutmeg and it seems like a touch of cinnamon. I smell a funky yeast in there as well that I associate with an ale. Smells kind of interesting. Can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

Has the taste of a mulled cider but at the end I pick up the yeast maybe? A little twang. Not much pumpkin if any though. Which is a little disappointing considering what it is.

The mouthfeel is a on the light side of medium. Leaves my mouth a little tingly but it's just average.

I'd probably only drink one of these. It's an easy drinker but being as plain as it is and the spices present I couldn't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall this beer is about as average as you can get. I was hoping for a little more. I always get excited for the seasonals but this was a let down. For some reason this beer drinks more like a cider. Every drink I take I seem to think it needs to be heated up and a cinnamon stick thrown in it. Worth a try if you can just buy a single bottle.

Slainte!

10-06-2006 00:55:33 | More by joe1510
mcallister

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Not a bad looking pumpkin. Some yeast particles float about mingling with carbonation bubbles. A small white head appears atop leaving little lace.

Aromas are obviously pumpkin. With the usual spices that go but it is lacking any depth of malt and little prescence of hops.

I like this pumpkin ale. Mouthfeel is great. It is very balanced and not overly done with the spices. Pumpkin stands at the forefront with all spice and nutmeg. Also afterthoughts of cinnamon, and even some fig make appearances.

Love the round mouth. Easily drinkable.

10-04-2006 23:07:03 | More by mcallister
ovx

Wisconsin

this was also the first pumpkin lager of the season for me... and i admit i was excited for it. poured out into the pint a lustrous orange-amber with a very dense 1/2" layer of microfoam across the surface that remained until the glass was finished.

smell... since i thought it might be my first review, this is the first time i really paused to smell a beer before i took a sip... and i'm not sure how to describe it. roses came to mind. the sweetness of this particular batch really seemed to take over... but without being overpowering.

which brings us to taste... the sweet pumpkin really seemed to dance throughout. i caught none of the spiciness that others described; and that i expected from previous experience with this beer. to my palate, the flavors were perfectly balanced. (note: i had brushed my teeth about a half hour beforehand and could still taste some mint from that, so it may have masked some of the spices others mentioned.)

mouthfeel: this beer was smooth... notable carbonation, but distributed well throughout each sip and gives it more of a creamy texture than anything.. each sip accompanied by some of that thin layer of microfoam from the surface.

drinkability: i'm about to have another. and then possibly another. this is one of my favorite beers, hands-down.

also to note: i agree with the person who mentioned that some batches are different than others. i was elated with this last beer i poured out, but would not give as high a score to other batches i've tried. still, lakefront's pumpkin lager won me over the first time i tried it... and it's something i look forward to every season.

09-10-2006 18:49:49 | More by ovx
dirtylou

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz single, bought a 6 pack at Woodmans...enjoyed on opening saturday of the college football season, 1st pumpkin of the season for me

appearance: poured into a Sweetwater pint glass...orange-amber body, creamy beige head with decent lacing

smell: aroma is heavy on the holiday spices, cinnamon and nutmeg dominate, pumpkin is covered up by the heavy spice aroma, sweet malt

taste: Well...I dont really think this is bad but its a bad pumpkin beer. Its mostly a spiced beer with a heavy cinnamon nature, strong ginger, clove, lemon, pumpkin, sweet syrupy malt, nutmeg

mouthfeel: strongly spiced, medium-light body

drinkability: decent

09-02-2006 19:17:08 | More by dirtylou
keoki182

2.03/5  rDev -41.5%

Purchased bottle in Menomonee Falls, WI. This was a decent fruit/vegetable beer, except for the overpowering nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices added to pumpkin pie. This is much like Leinie’s Apple Spice in that the motto seems to be "The More Spices, The More Flavor". Well, more isn’t always better. As opposed to Blue Moon’s far superior pumpkin beer, Lakefront’s lager is too overspiced. The beer looks good, a cloudy orangish color. It smells like Thanksgiving at Grandma’s. The flavor was overpowering as previously stated, too much perfume/sweetness in what could have been a nice autumn brew. Definitely not up to Lakefront’s quality standards.

07-16-2006 13:54:50 | More by keoki182
falloutsnow

2.78/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Dense two-finger head, off-white in color. The beer itself is amber-orange that is unique among pumpkin beers. No lacing that clings to the sides, but a thin ring of bubbles around the glass.
S: Sweet, musty, pumpkin-like smell with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. No detectable hop scents, though the brewery claims Hallertau are used.
T: Unsubtle yeasty, pumpkin flavor upfront, joined with malt sweetness and followed by cinnamon and clove tastes. After taste of weak cinnamon red hots, somewhat artificial.
M: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated for the light to medium body with an otherwise smooth texture. Slightly dry in the finish, likely from the hops, yet no detectable hop bitterness.
D: Average to slightly below average pumpkin beer. This is a lager and not an ale, so the brewery is trying something different here. It's too bad the results aren't that spectacular.

02-08-2006 03:23:56 | More by falloutsnow
Hutson

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

First of all, I have to say I love fruit/spiced beers. And this is my favorite pumpkin beer. It does vary a little bit between batches, some being better than others, but usually it is very good. The aroma is nice, with the spice coming through. The pumpkin flavor is nice and balances well with the spices used. Kind of like a slice of pumpkin pie.

02-07-2006 17:13:39 | More by Hutson
objectivemonkey

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours with a good head, a hazy, cloudy orangish amber, with no lacing. That pumpkin beer smell with nutmeg and cinnamon for the smell, not bad not great. Pretty good pumpkin beer with the nutmeg and cinnamon and ginger. Really isn't that extraordinary a beer, just doesn't really work out that well. Good attempt, poor execution I'd say.

02-04-2006 00:41:39 | More by objectivemonkey
StAnthony

3.1/5  rDev -10.7%

I was blown away with this beer off the tapper at the brewery, and when I saw that I could get it locally in the bottle, I was really psyched. But, man--was I disappointed.

TAP=EXCELLENT
BOTTLE=MEDIOCRE

What happened? Tapped, I could have sworn I was drinking the best pumpkin pie I had ever tasted (even better on a crisp fall day, with the slight warmth of alcohol). Rich and full with a perfect balance of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, complete with a perfect whipped cream finish. My only issue was that it was so filling I could hardly finish it. But I didn't mind.

But then...the bottle. First-sip impression: beer. Second sip: Okay, beer with a few spices thrown in. Third sip: What the hell, I remember this tasting like rich pie, not a light-bodied lager! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad it just wasn't anywhere near where it should have been. But then again, it was a year after my first experience.

My advice: go to the brewery for a truly exceptional, one-of-a-kind brew...but treat it just as that--one-of-a-kind, and not to be found anywhere off the premises.

01-19-2006 22:08:16 | More by StAnthony
DaPeculierDane

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

Oh what a difference "on tap" can make.

This beer smelled and tasted like pumpkin pie and was infinitely better than the bottle I had sampled two weeks ago.

The strange pickle relish odor and taste that was so present in the bottle was completely absent in this brew when I had it on tap.

This sample is all cloves, cinnamon, and pumpkin. It’s delicious but...still not for me.

10-17-2005 03:09:08 | More by DaPeculierDane
Golden2wenty1

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. The Original Pumpkin Lager Beer Pumpkin Ale itself.

Pours an uninspiring orange/amber with a bubbly head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell is heavy on the all-purpose pumpkin pie spice assortment, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg and some sugrary sweet caramel notes. Taste continues with the canned spice extract and sweet pumpkin/caramel malt, but unfortunately entertains an astringent, medicinal bitterness that turns it all foul. Mouth feel is thin but slick. There's just a lot going on here that doesn't mesh together. It's all a little artificial, no real substance. Dogfish and O'Fallon are oth far superior to this timid offering.

10-13-2005 19:00:12 | More by Golden2wenty1
TastyTaste

Hmm....A Pumpkin Ale called Pumpkin Lager, that's odd. Hazy copper body, yellow around the edges when held up to the light. Head is small from the get-go, never getting more than a small layer on top of the beer. Smell is sweet and spiced with your typical pumpkin pie spices, that's about it. Taste is terrible. Nothing like a pumpkin beer should be, sweet and funky, tastes almost infected. The beer was bottled the 4th Week of August, so it is well within it's freshness range. Yuck, I will struggle to finish this one, I thik Shipyard has the ebst pumpkin ale I have had so far.

10-04-2005 22:33:29 | More by TastyTaste
Rodekill

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

I have tried several beers from this brewery, and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them until I bought a six pack of this one. I really like pumpkin beer, and this one strikes a fine balance between pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin flavor. It is medium-bodied and sturdy enough to support the spices and remain smooth and drinkable. The amber color reminds one of an Oktoberfest, while the flavor mixes dried fruit, pumpkin, cinnamon and perhaps some clove. All in all an enjoyable tasty brew that's perfect for the harvest season. I'd buy this one again.

09-25-2005 23:13:13 | More by Rodekill
battlekow

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager looks pretty good, a slightly cloudy, suitably orange color, capped by a fine white head. Smells yeasty, with hints of the promised pumpkins and spices, but not much. The taste is yeasty as well, kind of musty, a little bit of pumpkin in the finist. The mouthfeel is a little harsh. Certainly not a very pumpkin-y pumpkin beer.

09-19-2005 18:07:36 | More by battlekow
ClearDog

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Served in a pint glass.

This is my second time around rating this beer. This time around, the bottle of beer has been out of the fridge for about 15 minutes so it can warm up before I serve it. I figure it's got to be a little warmer to bring out the spice and pumpkin flavors. Here goes . . .

Appearance -- It was nice for about thirty seconds. The color is nice and reminiscent of orange pumpkin pie. I would have given a better appearance rating however the head only last thirty seconds then disappeared. No lacing is evident.

Smell -- The smell is nice with spice overwhelming. In a way it reminds me of apple cider. I cannot identify any pumpkin here.

Taste -- It definitely tastes better warmer although I still cannot taste any recognizable pumpkin. Tastes more like spiced beer.

Mouthfeel -- Light to medium-light; not much here.

Drinkability -- I can only drink this beer once in a sitting. This will most likely be my last Lakefront Pumpkin for the year, although a buddy of mine tried it on tap at the Landmark 1850 and he said it was awesome. He had three in one sitting.

09-16-2005 02:15:19 | More by ClearDog
brewdlyhooked13

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance - orange amber pour, thin light-tan head recedes to a sparse covering and offers no lace.

Aroma - a definite vegetal smell (which is okay), along with the spicy cinnamon and pumpkin pie I would expect and enjoy.

Taste - requisite malt, pumpkin and cinnamon flavors. After the swallow, the carbonation clears that away and leaves behind a distinct lemony flavor. Unusual but not bad. Stays lemony at the finish and between sips, dividing this a bit from the rest of the pumpkin beer pack.

Mouthfeel - the lemon flavor and high carbonation make this beer lighter, a step towards hefeweizen even for some cross-style appeal perhaps.

Drinkability - the taste and medium body are nice, but the lemon wash ultimately has me seeking something else tonight.

01-19-2005 19:44:06 | More by brewdlyhooked13
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.05/5  rDev -40.9%

Lightly murky orangish amber with disturbing looking, wispy, black tendrils that resemble smoke or cobwebs. They've paled and faded somewhat over the first several minutes, but are still visible lurking within the beer. I have no doubt that part of the reason is that I managed to get almost all of the bottle into the pint glass because of the lack of head formation. Why a reasonably fresh lager should have semi-nasty stuff on the bottom of the bottle is anyone's guess. Pathetically small head; no lace.

Although I can tell that it belongs to a pumpkin beer, the aroma is the worst for the style that I've experienced yet. There's a background aroma of pumpkin and spice that is overwhelmed by an odd, musty earthiness. It isn't bad exactly, it just isn't appealing.

This is bad beer, there are no two ways about it. In fact, it makes Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale (my previous pumpkin beer low point) seem like nectar. For starters, it's as thin and as lifeless as any beer in recent memory. Some beer becomes watery on the finish; this one starts out watery and deteriorates from there, if that's even physically possible. In addition, the musty sourness is overpowering and prevents any enjoyment whatsoever of the pumpkin.

I enjoy reading brewery websites prior to reviewing because you never know when you'll come across a hidden gem such as this from the Lakefront site: "(Pumpkin Lager has) the taste and the *texture* of pumpkin pie."

Pumpkin Lager Beer is as two-dimensional as they come and is, quite simply, abysmal beer. I have never homebrewed, but I have no doubt that I could do better than this on my first attempt. I will now have serious reservations about trying any more beer from Lakefront. You, however, at least with regard to this particular beer, have been sufficiently warned.

12-17-2004 15:46:20 | More by BuckeyeNation
maxpower

Missouri

2.1/5  rDev -39.5%

Cloudy golden-orange color, aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin. Small white head that doesn't last, not much lacing either. Pumpkin , ginger, cinnamon and butter bread flavors, Medium body body with a buttery mouthfeel, finishes pretty sweet, I had a tough time finishing the bottle.

11-24-2004 13:51:24 | More by maxpower
ZAP

3.13/5  rDev -9.8%

I like the nose on this one....spices evident (in some regards smells like a cigar humidor) but so is the pumpkin which is lacking in some of these pumpkin beers...hazy orange color...some nice pumpkin flavors..perhaps one of the more 'true" pumpkin flavored beers but then there is a dimension that includes some sour/green apple notes..not strong but you can tell it's there...maybe it's the yeast they use since several of theri beers have this sourish dimension...Body is medium to light..a little creamy...

Overall not a horrible beer...i like some aspects of it and will enjoy the other two bottles I have but the sour/green apple notes bring this score down(even though they are not AS strong as some of the Lakefront litter I have tried)

11-18-2004 06:16:31 | More by ZAP
Bighuge

2.7/5  rDev -22.2%

Hazed dark golden tone. Just a skimming of a white head. Lacing is minimal. Nose is all about the spices. Pumpkin Pie spice, clove, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. A little sweet malt underlying everything. This beer's got some spice on the buds, but it's pretty weak in the malt department. Pumpkin taste is lacking. It's a little phenolic/medicinal as well. Not really that enjoyable.

10-31-2004 04:40:50 | More by Bighuge
Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.