Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

good

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.14/5  rDev -7.9%

Clear golden with an orange hue. Head is small and reduces to just a thin white film. Has a nice spicy aroma of cinnimaon, allspice and nutmeg that resembles pumpkin pie well. As others mention, a bit over carbonated and thin. Flavor isn't all that bad but could be fuller. Doesn't match the aroma at all. A little bitter. I haven't had a good pumpkin Ale in years and the last good one I had was BB's several years ago. (420 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

Clear orange to amber in the glass, with a nice cream-colored head that dropped quickly, but left a subtle lacing on the glass. Malty spice (cinnamon/nutmeg) in the nose. Flavor was malty with the fruit and spice you'd expect, but this was unique because it offered the smoothness of a lager (rather than the ales typically "pumpkin'ed" at this time of year). As the glass warmed, the alcohol came out a bit in the flavor; but the spice kept it in check. Not bad. Enjoyable. (474 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours a huge, dense, white head that collapses into a soapy white, half-inch foam. Wonderfully spicy aroma dominated by spice, with a touch of pumpkin behind it all. Amber-orange color. Starts off with spice and carbonation, the clovier-spice takes hold until the biscuit malt comes into play with the pumpkin; pumpkin pie or spiced cookies - this is the main flavor profile. The spice mutes as the finish comes on, then it's lingering pumpkin malt.

I absolutely love this one. One of two (Southern Tier "Pumpking") pumpkin biers I will drink. The addition of pumpkin to the mash allows this lager to showcase the pumpkin with a clarity that is unparalleled. This bier made me like pumpkin pie. When I drink this, I know it's Autumn. (734 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

This was my favorite pumpkin beer. I have tried other pumpkin beers (not a lot) but I really appreciated this one because the style of this beer (lager) and the notes of pumpkin seemed to come together really well. At each sip, my sense tells me that this beer and the pumpkins were brewed together from start to finish -- in unity if you will. The pumpkin flavor is not overwhelming but you know it is there when you take a sip. Definitely refreshing and I usually grab a second one.

I have tried other beers - pumpkin ales (not lagers) - that seem to fall short in pumpkin flavor that I'm looking for; it seems it only add a tiny dash of pumpkin pie spice and nothing more. However this may be what it's supposed to be and maybe my preferences are different than others who enjoy pumpkin beers. This beer never fails to please me. (834 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Golden amber 1 1/2 finger head faded to a sizeable wisp.

S- Strong smells of pumpkin, cinamon, nutmeg and allspice.

T- Just like Pumpkin pie, in beer form.

M- Smooth medium body carbonation is a bit high.

D- Although tasty, one is enough.

One of the better pumpkin beers ive had, but it has nothing on DFH (so hard to find here) (336 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -21.1%

I've recently become enamored with various seasonal selections and begun snatching up every Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale, etc I can get my hands on.

With that being said, this particular selection is easily the oddest of the bunch. Its pours very cloudy, deep brown/orange with an unsatisfying, almost nonexistent off-white head that fades to nothing in around two seconds flat. Nothing I've seen yet is characteristic of a lager.

The aroma is again, a little off. Some spice and malt are present. Nutmeg and a bit of pumpkin, but mostly a dirty kind of spice and dull malt.

I wouldn't say that it's bland, but the flavor is not what I expected at all. All spice and nutmeg initially that is a bit dull and again rather 'dirty' on the tongue. A bit of pumpkin in the background. At first sip I was pleasantly surprised to try something that was totally different, but as I drank the flavor became increasingly unpleasant.

Throughout the experience, this beer was very uncharacteristic for a lager. Almost no carbonation and an odd grainy texture. The starchy malt lingers on the palate. Probably my least favorite of the dozen or so pumpkin ales I've tried this fall. I will however try it again next year and reevaluate. (1,225 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear amber/dark orange color with a very shortly lived white head.

The scent is sweetly spiced, the spicer really dominating the nose.

On the tongue the spice again dominates, though it does blend nicely with the (pilsner?) hops and bready malts.

Not bad. Haven't had many spiced/flavored lagers, but this is one of the better ones.

Generally with pumpkin ales/lagers the spice is done improperly and leaves me with a distaste. This is one of the few exceptions. Not something I'd seek out, but I drank the whole thing. (533 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

A. Pours a clear orange with a whispy off white head that quickly dissipates to a thin foam.

T. Lots of spice on the nose: allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove.

S. Spices come through on the tongue along with some graham cracker and some malty sweetness - I don't really taste any pumpkin in there.

M. Medium bodied with a high level of brisk carbonation.

D. While you don't really get much pumpkin out of the beer, the spices are enough to make you think of fall. All in all I have to say that this is one of the more solid pumpkin beers I've had this year, which is saying something considering this is my 8th or 9th pumpkin beer. (633 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

Light amber to red in color with barely noticeable prickle and a faint wispy head. Very mild nose of pumpkin, spice and "chalk water." By "chalk water" I mean it smells similar to the water in a bucket after washing the blackboard in grade school. Mild attack. Flavor of pumpkin and malty grains. Clean finish but mildly sweet grain aftertaste. This is a very complex beer compared to many pumpkin ales and lagers. I would say pretty good and call it a B. (455 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Lakefront's Pumpkin Lager looks pretty good, a slightly cloudy, suitably orange color, capped by a fine white head. Smells yeasty, with hints of the promised pumpkins and spices, but not much. The taste is yeasty as well, kind of musty, a little bit of pumpkin in the finist. The mouthfeel is a little harsh. Certainly not a very pumpkin-y pumpkin beer. (353 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Poured into a Smithwick's pint. Pours a clear orange-amber color with a two-finger head that settles to a frothy lace with moderate stick.

S: Aroma is comprised primarily of classic pumpkin pie spices.

T: Sweet malt complemented by subtle dashes of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. A touch of vegetable squash. Balanced by a welcomed bite of Hallertau hops.

M: Rich and creamy mouthfeel.

D: Very sessionable. Its subdued spiced nature and crisp, refreshing character make Lakefront Pumpkin Lager a worthy harvest beer. (531 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -4.4%

2.5 orange amber with big bubbles and some very large flakes floating around. the head doesn't last or leave much trace.
4 smells of pumpkin and cinnamon, some nutmeg too.
3-3.5 not as flavorful as the aroma promised, but not too bad. mild sweetness is accompanied by raw pumpkin and then overmatched by a tart finish.
2.5 mouthfeel is too thin and watery, even for a lager with a moderate abv, and the carbonation is too course to help matters.
3-3.5 overall probably not worth having around when there are such good pumpkin beers available. i do think i'd rather drink this than post road (brooklyn) though. (609 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours transparent amber in color with a minimal white head that soon disappears completely. The bouquet is actually quite nice, with healthy doses of pumpkin and cinnamon, with some nutmeg. There is also a tartness to the aroma, the origin of which I am curious to discern in the palate. The flavor largely matches the aroma, but is more subdued. The pumpkin takes a bit of a back seat to the spices, but the blend works well nonetheless. I think the tartness detected in the nose may actually be afforded by the cinnamon, which is not a spice I have much familiarity with when it comes to beers. The mouthfeel could be a little more substantive, but on the whole this is a well balanced and easy to drink brew, and one of the more palatable pumpkin beers I've tried. (767 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

One of my last pumpkin beers of the season...

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, deep copper color with only a slight amount of head that really doesn't hang out for very long.

Smell: Nothing really out of the ordinary here, smell is a nice balance of pumpkin and typical autumn spices.

Taste: A crisp shot of pumpkin balanced with some spice. Very run of the mill for a pumpkin beer. This is more enjoyable than some pumpkin beers simply because the spice isn't the dominant flavor, but rather acts to balance the pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth, medium bodied brew. Not bad.

Drinkability: While this is (IMO) a very balanced pumpkin brew, I was hoping for a bit more of a sweet pumpkin taste as that is my preference. That being said, this beer is rather drinkable, however not my number one choice when reaching for pumpkin. (827 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.5%

Light fiery orange in hue, two fingers of On the nose is cinnamon and caramel.
Sweet but not cloying, definite holiday spices, some heavier malts, which is good, less pumpkin than other beers yet more flavor overall than most. Medium body, tingly carbonation, and some stickiness is delovely. Yup delovely. Like it a bit. Recommend it. (335 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap poured into pint glass.

A: 3.25 light yellow in color, pours with 1 finger of white head that reduces quickly.
S: 3.0 mild pumpkin and spices
T: 3.25 pumpkin and spice forward, lingering spices
M: 3.0 carb level is ok, seems a bit thin
O: 3.25 this is a good pumpkin lager, very crisp and refreshing. (312 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a goblet......

A - Pours a very nice amber color, fizzy bubbles disappear quickly with no head.
S - Very pleasing aroma of spice & pumpkins.
T - Clean lager flavor, light feeling, with a moderate pumpkin flavor. Not strong on spices at all.
M - Light mouth feel and carbonation, flavor disappears quickly.
O - This beer was better than I expected. Good beer, quite drinkable, a good place to start for pumpkin beer newbies. While it's not at the top of the pumpkin beer list it's a good representation of the style. I'd drink it again. (548 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Nice tawny golden color. Slight orange glow with a light colored head.
S: Great malty pie aroma. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin. It has a sweetness to it but its not overly sweet.
T: Spicy cinnamon blended with mellow malt flavor that ends with a strong woody cinnamon flavor and sweet pumpkin. Though these flavors do remain in balance.
D/M: Nice crisp carbonation but the head really doesnt stick very well. (411 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%

Slightly hazy copper colored beer with a diminishing fizzy half inch head.

Spices in the aroma. Heavy on the cinnamon an allspice. Slight funk, probably from the yeast.

More of the same in the aroma. A little too spicy for me. Reminds me of Christmas time at the mall.

Nice mouthfeel. Medium bodied carbonation feels nice.

This pumpkin ale is pretty average. A little heavy on certain spices, but a decent beer overall. (423 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to my Grimbergen chalice.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with an off-white head that does not last long.

Smell: Clove, nutmeg and general spiciness. The standard Lakefront yeast aroma comes through as well.

Taste: Fruity, sweet and spicy. And just as the nose suggests, the spices that come through the most are the nutmeg and clove.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not enough body for me and the fact that this is a lager takes away some of the balance that I want out of a pumpkin. The flavors are a tad too flat for my liking. I haven't had this beer in a number of years and my remembrance of the taste has not changed. (767 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Very Dark Orange and Cloudy. Looks very unfiltered and the head is around a quarter of a head thick that turns into a filmy cover after a couple of minutes.

Smell - Pumpkin, Spices, Yeasts and some barley. It's not robust but it's alright; Very simple scent for a pumpkin beer.

Taste - Spices, Pumpkin, Barley and Malts. The malty backbone is there, but it's not too sweet which actually works in it's favor here.

Mouthfeel - It's very crisp and light. So crisp in fact that you want to savor the feel of the beer. It's very rare for me to find a mouthfeel that actually feels good on the palate. The crispness is thanks to the well balanced carbonation which helps add some flavor to the beer without being too sharp.

Overall - A simple tasting pumpkin beer with a good taste and even better palate. Check it out if you get the chance. (879 characters)

I get pumpkin spices, vanilla and a tart ginger. I get the ginger full on in the taste with hints of cinnamon and vanilla on the back end of the taste. The ginger is a great taste but becomes tart at time almost wine tart.

I get some caramel malts in there as well reminiscent of an Oktoberfest taste. Each times I take a sip I can smell the ginger in the nose. It really reminds me of the ginger sauce you find in Japanese restaurants. I'm not getting too much pumpkin just a vegetable pumpkin taste which is always good.

The spices outshine in this one and the ginger really in my opinion shines the most. Its good but just wish it was a bit less tart. It was an interesting beer that'd I'd have again next year at Halloween time no problem. (745 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -29%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Light copper color with head about 3/4 inch thick that fades slowly.

S - Lots of pumpkin and some spice.

T - Very light. Too much pumpkin too little spice.

M - A little too much carbonation.

D - Not impressed at all. I've been spoiled in that I used to live closer to Deleware and had DogfishHead pumpkin all the time. This is not even close. (383 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -5%

A- Poured clear orange/copper with two fingers of foamy, pure white head. Good retention and good lacing.

S- Cinnamon, bready malt and a little citrus are the first noticed aromas. Complex and a bit unusual. Not sure what to expect from the citrus note.

T- Bready malt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and clove. Reasonably good balance, and as it warmed, the citrus was undetectable. But nothing jumps out or wows me.

M- Feel is thin (which I like) with medium carbonation. The finish is clean, with the end note being nutmeg.

O- Seems like a routine fruit beer. Nothing made me think of pumpkin really, and there is certainly nothing objectionable about it. (660 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured into a Lakefront pint glass.

(A) Pours a dark orange with some copper spots. Very little head.

(S) Nutmeg, cinnamon, and a decent dose of pumpkin. Has a really great aroma to it.

(T) Big on spice. Has a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon up front. The pumpkin is almost not very prominent because of it. Spicy all around with pumpkin mid-taste. Tastes like pumpkin pie, excellent.

(M) Kind of grainy, medium body. Has some spice that hits the palate.

(O) This is what pumpkin beer should taste like. One of my favorites. Just like pumpkin pie. It's right up there with Pumking, in my opinion. One of the top pumpkin beers on my list. (637 characters)

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.