Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 590 | Reviews: 249
3.81/5  rDev +8.9%

This is one flavored beer I truly enjoy every year in fall. It is out early this year Aug 24. I fist had it on tap at The Mason Tavern a few years back, and what stood out was that it was easy drinking, full of flavor, and for a spiced beer, I could have drank it all night.

I poured it into a lager mug, color, pumpkin-orange, hazy, cloudy, very nice.

It had a initial aroma that was tart, sharp spice.

The flavor is beautiful, a nice lager with a mild yet full of flavor pumpkin, that sits on the back of the tongue, thick, bready, like you could chew it. Better even when the carbonation dissipates. This is one of the best pumpkin beers out there. They use real pumpkin, not just flavorings.

A excellent beer!

4.11/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy orangish red and a 1/8" head"

An odor reminiscent of a fall or pumpkin cider (a pumpkin pie or candle) but much more restrained ... uses the pumpkin the way a clever woman uses perfume

Has a gentle effervescence.

Sweet and pumpkin flavored, but not overpowered. It's hard to tell it's a lager... something you could use to introduce a cider fan to beer.

I'd rate a cider with these properties higher, but I expected more from a beer...

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance is average, orange with a nice creamy tan head.

Smell was of nutmeg and pumpkin. Almost like a pumpkin muffin.

Taste is malty sweet with the pumpkin. Some spices are also noted. Not much bitterness at all.

Mouthfeel was average with nice carbination.

Drinkable with no more than 2 or 3.

The problem with the beer is the consistency between bottles. I have some that were awesome and some that were meh.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

This was my first foray into Pumpkin Ales. Perhaps I was overly prepared for overwhelming pumpkin pie aroma and spices. I thought this was a very good dark lager. I enjoyed the earthy tones. It starts off pretty sweet before the earthiness takes over. Did not detect an overt taste of pumpkin, which was a good thing for me. Only detected slight spice, not as overwhelming as other reviewers.
Overall a pretty tasty, enjoyable brew.

1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

Appears a dark yellow hue with a head that fails to maintain its retention.

Smell is wonderful ... just like pouring a sweet pumpkin out of a bottle with slight scents of nutmeg and cinnamon. However, the initial scents are replaced with a disheartening citrusy smell.

The taste is below average. There are notes of pumpkin and spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and a little coriander on the initial sip. However, the beer falls flat on its finish, which tastes of bland, tart citrusy-lemon flavors and fades quickly; leaving the drinker bored.

Mouthfeel is flat, flat, flat.

Not a good pumpkin ale at all as it warms up! It smells good at start, and deceives the drinker that a good ale will follow. But the finish is absolutely downright awful and the flavors of citrus negate any of the good spices and pumpkin flavor a good ale of this style should have! Avoid this beer!

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color is an orange golden clear color with a white head that fades fast.
Smell is of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. maybe a light bread note from the malt.
Taste- Spices up front light cinnamon and cloves stand above the rest. A bit of grassy or hay like flavor with a tiny bit of malt character of bread and caramel. This is a lager so finishes pretty clean.

3.89/5  rDev +11.1%

I have tried several beers from this brewery, and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them until I bought a six pack of this one. I really like pumpkin beer, and this one strikes a fine balance between pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin flavor. It is medium-bodied and sturdy enough to support the spices and remain smooth and drinkable. The amber color reminds one of an Oktoberfest, while the flavor mixes dried fruit, pumpkin, cinnamon and perhaps some clove. All in all an enjoyable tasty brew that's perfect for the harvest season. I'd buy this one again.

4.09/5  rDev +16.9%

A translucent brew, orange and bright in the light. The head is very slight but lingering.

I was taken by surprise with this beer. While the nose certainly doesn't pull out any flashy tricks, its cinnamon and creamy notes are quite pleasant. On the palate, the beer starts off a bit crisp. Notes of clove and other spices come in, along with a very prominent taste of cinnamon. The spices are just shy enough to resist the "in your face" pandemic sweeping the world of spiced pumpkin beers.

The finish is quite sweet: malty with a hint of creamy pumpkin. All in all, I'd put this lager up there with the more well-balanced, highly drinkable spiced beers.

4.18/5  rDev +19.4%

Note: this bottle is from the basement beerchives, of un-remembered year. Notch on label indicates only the month of bottling (September)

Appearance: Poured a slightly hazy orange-y colour with a beautiful dense and long-lasting ==1 inch head. The haze doesn't offend me considering the age of the beer.

Aroma: Very malty and spicy, your usual "pumpkin pie" spices. No off aromas.

Flavour: Complex malty sweetness accented by spices. Spice character is reasonably assertive, but not overpowering. Time has been good to this marriage of malt and spice. The pumpkin is present, it's not all spice, but, as expected of any pumpkin beer, it's in the background.

Mouthfeel: It's in the mouthfeel where the presence of pumpkin in the beer really makes the difference compared to so-called "pumpkin" beers that are really just the pie spices. Medium body with a solid and full mouthfeel from the pumpkin and medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall, this beer has improved with aging in that the spices and the malt have softened and blended together well. It doesn't surprise me very much because Lakefront's Holiday Spice is also much better with a few years of aging than it is fresh from the brewery. This beer was just a big "wow!" when I opened it earlier today.

3.12/5  rDev -10.9%

I was blown away with this beer off the tapper at the brewery, and when I saw that I could get it locally in the bottle, I was really psyched. But, man--was I disappointed.

TAP=EXCELLENT
BOTTLE=MEDIOCRE

What happened? Tapped, I could have sworn I was drinking the best pumpkin pie I had ever tasted (even better on a crisp fall day, with the slight warmth of alcohol). Rich and full with a perfect balance of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, complete with a perfect whipped cream finish. My only issue was that it was so filling I could hardly finish it. But I didn't mind.

But then...the bottle. First-sip impression: beer. Second sip: Okay, beer with a few spices thrown in. Third sip: What the hell, I remember this tasting like rich pie, not a light-bodied lager! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad it just wasn't anywhere near where it should have been. But then again, it was a year after my first experience.

My advice: go to the brewery for a truly exceptional, one-of-a-kind brew...but treat it just as that--one-of-a-kind, and not to be found anywhere off the premises.

The aroma of this beer first hits you as a real spicy and sweet beer. Quite the opposite. This beer has a real light mouth feel but the hint of sweetness is just of enough to have one beer per night.

This beer is not too sweet and not too savory this beer can go well with savory foods such as turkey and be a great dessert beer or just to drink around.

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a clear rusty orange. Very little lacing and a quickly disappearing white head.

Nutmeg and cinnamon in up front in the nose, not much for pumpkin in the aroma.

One thing that makes this pumpkin stand out is the notice yeast strain taste that underlies the spies. Definitely more of a spicy pumpkin beer, I do much get much for the sweet or full pumpkin taste found in other beers.

Very dry mouthfeel - not much to it really. Flavors fade fast.

Average pumpkin beer - I don't think I would purchase this again.

Poured a nice copper color,
Aroma of spice,very little punpkin
taste of perfume and very sour
The mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and at the finish with a milde aftertaste that I did not care for. The mild flavor contained notes of pumpkin
would not drink again

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

If a truly good pumpkin beer does exist, this is it.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Served in a bottle. I bought a whole pack of these today at Pick N Save for tonight's Packer game, figured since I was drinking it I would review it.

Appearance: has a nice orange color to it, good head and decent lacing

Smell: has both a pumpkin and cinnamon smell to it. the two of them can be differentiated (i mean that in a good sort of way)

Taste: the sweetness of the pumpkin hits first, but then after that I picked up a cinnamon and clove taste. there is definitely a good blend of pumpkin and spice here.

Mouthfeel: has a pretty average lager texture to it, which while not bad in most cases, I would almost like this one to be a bit less carbonated so it doesn't detract from the pumpkin flavor (then again, that's my opinion. regardless, I do like this one).

Overall: I did read from some of the other reviews on here that some people did pick up on almost a crust-like flavor in the background. I do get that impression from this one. All in all, this is a good seasonal selection. personally i would like it if this was an all year beer instead of a seasonal.

2.33/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is exactly what a lager is in respect to smell and taste. The appearance was close to a light orange/dark gold consistency. The beer had little aromaticity in regard to the being a pumpkin beer. I caught a hint of some spices. I honestly would expect to be able to smell the pumpkin or some floral/nutty undertones. This beer did not have that aspect. The taste was like a smooth a normal lager style beer. It didnt have much bite back and was very smooth. Overall, I just wasnt impressed with the beer itself. I think pumpkin beer should at least have scent and taste of pumpkin.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

I was introduced to this when it came out last year, but didn't realize it was a limited edition. When I came back it was gone and they said: try again next year. This year, I barely got the last six pack, or I would have bought more. I'm not usually a huge fan of pumpkin beers because they usually taste like somebody got out of hand with some pie spices and I can't really find the pumpkin in it... that is not the case here. It actually tastes of pumpkin. Good fresh lager and pumpkin. One of the things I especially like about this beer is it's elegance. There's not 1000 things going on to keep you from noticing the few that didn't go well.

It's cloudy in appearance, it's got a fresh pumpkiny smell, crisp apple notes at the front of the pallet, malty as it warms, strong pumpkin finish.

I'll be buying it again next year. :)

3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance - Golden Yellow, a little hazy. White fizzy head, doesn't trail off too quickly. I'm intrigued by this one. Looks Good.

Smell - This smells sweet, maybe a little citrus, some honey. Pumpkin is there but not obtrusive.

Taste - Light, crisp, and a little sweet. I swear I'm tasting honey here, but I might be off. The pumpkin is coming through just right. I taste clove and nutmeg. The 6.0% abv is pretty up front in this one, but it's not a bad thing

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, it's a little carbonation heavy for a second but finishes nicely, which is what I expect for this style. Really enjoyable.

Overall - Really like this one. It delivers what I want in a pumpkin lager. The pumpkin and spices are there but they aren't overpowering. It all sits very well. This is clean, refreshing and very drinkable. I'd certainly pick this up again.

4.67/5  rDev +33.4%

I had this beer at the Institute in Philadelphia on draft. I have to say this was hands down the best pumpkin beer I've had this year (which includes, Southern Tier's Pumking, Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, and a couple others that escape my memory). Lakefront's pumpkin beer is smooth with a real pumpkin flavor without being too sweet. Most of the others were only vaguely pumpkiny with the alcohol and spices drowning out the pumpkin flavor. this one highlights the pumpkin flavor without overburdening it with high alcohol or choking the flavor with spices.

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%

First of all, I have to say I love fruit/spiced beers. And this is my favorite pumpkin beer. It does vary a little bit between batches, some being better than others, but usually it is very good. The aroma is nice, with the spice coming through. The pumpkin flavor is nice and balances well with the spices used. Kind of like a slice of pumpkin pie.

3.84/5  rDev +9.7%

I've had many a pumpkin brew, but this is my first pumpkin lager. I was hoping it offered something more than all the lighter boring pumpkin ales that are popping up everywhere, and I was decently surprised.

A - A somewhat hazy, copper color. Poured a decent head, but dissipated fairly quickly.

S - Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, hint of apples, and a very faint pumpkin.

T - Has similar flavors of most pumpkin beers, like the spices and pumpkin flavor, obviously. But it also has a good malt sweetness and balance to it. Tastes more like a decent octoberfest with a pumpkin twist, which is why I like this beer more than most regular pumpkins.

M - Has more body than most pumpkin beers I've had. Carbonation is just enough, not overwhelming.

Overall I would drink this beer again. Not great in the same light of a lot of imperial pumpkin ales, but pretty damn good as far as a lighter pumpkin brew goes.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

I have not seen a Lager pumpkin flavored beer before. It was pretty close to what you would think it should taste like. (Brewed with pumpkin spices)

Appearance: Beautiful clear golden color with and hint of orange to get you in the mood for "pumpkin".Head remains after a couple minutes but very low 1 mm. Extreme light to no lacing on the glass

Aroma: Cinnamon. Maybe a hint of nutmeg behind that but cinnamon is predominant.

Taste: I'm not a hug Lager guy so I'll do my best to be fair. The spices added a little extra hit of flavor after the initial not pumpkiness of this beer. Its a light and taste like college.

Mouthfeel: light, like a lager should but with a little bight from the spice to match the flavor aspect after the initial smoothness. I rather like the mouth feel and is appropriate for a flavored lager.

Overall: I feel this beer's best quality is it is visual very attractive. Great color, clarity and good head for the style. Next is mouth feel smooth with a spicy bite at the end. Not surprised of the lack of pumpkin in this beer. The rest is solid but nothing to write home about. Overall average not my favorite as far as the pumpkin category but ranks high in my lager category. I'm just not a lager guy.

this was also the first pumpkin lager of the season for me... and i admit i was excited for it. poured out into the pint a lustrous orange-amber with a very dense 1/2" layer of microfoam across the surface that remained until the glass was finished.

smell... since i thought it might be my first review, this is the first time i really paused to smell a beer before i took a sip... and i'm not sure how to describe it. roses came to mind. the sweetness of this particular batch really seemed to take over... but without being overpowering.

which brings us to taste... the sweet pumpkin really seemed to dance throughout. i caught none of the spiciness that others described; and that i expected from previous experience with this beer. to my palate, the flavors were perfectly balanced. (note: i had brushed my teeth about a half hour beforehand and could still taste some mint from that, so it may have masked some of the spices others mentioned.)

mouthfeel: this beer was smooth... notable carbonation, but distributed well throughout each sip and gives it more of a creamy texture than anything.. each sip accompanied by some of that thin layer of microfoam from the surface.

drinkability: i'm about to have another. and then possibly another. this is one of my favorite beers, hands-down.

also to note: i agree with the person who mentioned that some batches are different than others. i was elated with this last beer i poured out, but would not give as high a score to other batches i've tried. still, lakefront's pumpkin lager won me over the first time i tried it... and it's something i look forward to every season.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

Heavy on the spice, not so much on the beer

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.