Pumpkin Lager Beer - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-03-2002

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkin Lager Beer Alström Bros
3.34/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Golden Orange, pumpkin-like , mild carbonation. These Lakefront brews don't seem to pour with a good head.
S - More cinnamon then pumpkin, but tasty smelling
T - More pumpkin "meat" then usually, good and unexpected, slight herbal afterbite. Unexpected, and good
M - Falls apart here. Thin, watery, poor carbonation
D - A bit different then other pumpkin lagers in taste, but in a good way. The mouthfeel unfortunately kind of ruins the positives of the taste and smell

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

Purchased bottle in Menomonee Falls, WI. This was a decent fruit/vegetable beer, except for the overpowering nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices added to pumpkin pie. This is much like Leinie’s Apple Spice in that the motto seems to be "The More Spices, The More Flavor". Well, more isn’t always better. As opposed to Blue Moon’s far superior pumpkin beer, Lakefront’s lager is too overspiced. The beer looks good, a cloudy orangish color. It smells like Thanksgiving at Grandma’s. The flavor was overpowering as previously stated, too much perfume/sweetness in what could have been a nice autumn brew. Definitely not up to Lakefront’s quality standards.

3.44/5  rDev +0.6%

Lakefront Pumpkin pours a light orange with minimal lacing from a 12 oz. bottle. There’s a very bright and clean aroma; sweet and spicy, full of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

This beer, at 6% alc/vol, starts off with a pleasant caramel malt sweetness, and moves into some toasted grains and a slight grassiness. You can tell that there’s definitely something going on here besides just the spicing. It finishes dry with a hint of pie spice, but gets a little too lager-y for my taste, especially when mixed in with the pumpkin.

Lakefront is better than some pumpkin beers I’ve encountered. It has an easy drinkability and smooth mouthfeel, but is lacking some of the depth that these beers deserve.

3.69/5  rDev +7.9%

a-golden color, not cloudy, little to no head when poured.

s-faint pumpkin pie smell, really need to drink this out of a glass, not in the bottle, without the smell you are not getting the full flavor.

t-with the smell of pumpkin there really is somewhat of a taste of pumpkin, its decent, hard to explain, because i really would never had tried the beer, if it were not for my gf that likes the beer

m- extremely smooth, no bitterness to the beer, and i really wonder what the ABV could be if any.

d-very good seasonal beer, but its not something that i will look forward to next year, if you are ever in Milwaukee, YOU NEED TO TOUR!!

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle poured into a tumber.

A-Golden orange color, clear, No sed., off white head a finger or two.

S- You can smell the malts and pumpkin / spices kind of cider/Esq smell

T-Has a good flavor really the spicing in this reminds me of a cider. In the middle some mild pumpkin flavors. Tasty

M- Mildy carbonated nothing very special in this department

D- Pretty drinkable, not very heavy kinda on the lighter side. The spices might get mildy annoying after a couple

Overall a nice offering at a pumpkin. A good job by Lakefront

2.62/5  rDev -23.4%

A- Hazy dark yellowish color with a awful lot of bubbles
S- Faint scent of pumpkin and spices
T- Very light pumpkin flavor tastes more like a wannabe oktoberfest style with a metallic aftertaste
M- Light, watery kinda overcarbonated
O- Not terrible but it didn't really taste like a pumpkin ale.

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this in a bottle poured into a glass.

Appearance: Perhaps the most impressive part of this beer and that should tell you where the rest of the review is going. Dark coppery color, reminds me of a dark apple cider in look. The bubbles streaming to the top would suggest a lot of carbonation and while there is some head, it dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Hardly anything to report here. Kind of a sweet smell to the beer.

Taste: Good, clean and not much if any after taste. The whole of the beer has this light feeling to it, and perhaps that is what you are looking for in a pumpkin beer. I wanted a little more out of it. I would recommend this for a football game tailgate.

Mouthfeel: Despite the presence of clearly a lot of carbonation, doesn't actually overwhelm you. Like I said above, clean crisp beer.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this one for someone looking for the ultimate pumpkin beer. But if you wanted a taste of the season without getting full, then this would be your beer.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%

This is one flavored beer I truly enjoy every year in fall. It is out early this year Aug 24. I fist had it on tap at The Mason Tavern a few years back, and what stood out was that it was easy drinking, full of flavor, and for a spiced beer, I could have drank it all night.

I poured it into a lager mug, color, pumpkin-orange, hazy, cloudy, very nice.

It had a initial aroma that was tart, sharp spice.

The flavor is beautiful, a nice lager with a mild yet full of flavor pumpkin, that sits on the back of the tongue, thick, bready, like you could chew it. Better even when the carbonation dissipates. This is one of the best pumpkin beers out there. They use real pumpkin, not just flavorings.

A excellent beer!

4.11/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazy orangish red and a 1/8" head"

An odor reminiscent of a fall or pumpkin cider (a pumpkin pie or candle) but much more restrained ... uses the pumpkin the way a clever woman uses perfume

Has a gentle effervescence.

Sweet and pumpkin flavored, but not overpowered. It's hard to tell it's a lager... something you could use to introduce a cider fan to beer.

I'd rate a cider with these properties higher, but I expected more from a beer...

3.42/5  rDev 0%

Appearance is average, orange with a nice creamy tan head.

Smell was of nutmeg and pumpkin. Almost like a pumpkin muffin.

Taste is malty sweet with the pumpkin. Some spices are also noted. Not much bitterness at all.

Mouthfeel was average with nice carbination.

Drinkable with no more than 2 or 3.

The problem with the beer is the consistency between bottles. I have some that were awesome and some that were meh.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

This was my first foray into Pumpkin Ales. Perhaps I was overly prepared for overwhelming pumpkin pie aroma and spices. I thought this was a very good dark lager. I enjoyed the earthy tones. It starts off pretty sweet before the earthiness takes over. Did not detect an overt taste of pumpkin, which was a good thing for me. Only detected slight spice, not as overwhelming as other reviewers.
Overall a pretty tasty, enjoyable brew.

1.95/5  rDev -43%

Appears a dark yellow hue with a head that fails to maintain its retention.

Smell is wonderful ... just like pouring a sweet pumpkin out of a bottle with slight scents of nutmeg and cinnamon. However, the initial scents are replaced with a disheartening citrusy smell.

The taste is below average. There are notes of pumpkin and spices of cinnamon, nutmeg and a little coriander on the initial sip. However, the beer falls flat on its finish, which tastes of bland, tart citrusy-lemon flavors and fades quickly; leaving the drinker bored.

Mouthfeel is flat, flat, flat.

Not a good pumpkin ale at all as it warms up! It smells good at start, and deceives the drinker that a good ale will follow. But the finish is absolutely downright awful and the flavors of citrus negate any of the good spices and pumpkin flavor a good ale of this style should have! Avoid this beer!

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color is an orange golden clear color with a white head that fades fast.
Smell is of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. maybe a light bread note from the malt.
Taste- Spices up front light cinnamon and cloves stand above the rest. A bit of grassy or hay like flavor with a tiny bit of malt character of bread and caramel. This is a lager so finishes pretty clean.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

I have tried several beers from this brewery, and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them until I bought a six pack of this one. I really like pumpkin beer, and this one strikes a fine balance between pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin flavor. It is medium-bodied and sturdy enough to support the spices and remain smooth and drinkable. The amber color reminds one of an Oktoberfest, while the flavor mixes dried fruit, pumpkin, cinnamon and perhaps some clove. All in all an enjoyable tasty brew that's perfect for the harvest season. I'd buy this one again.

4.09/5  rDev +19.6%

A translucent brew, orange and bright in the light. The head is very slight but lingering.

I was taken by surprise with this beer. While the nose certainly doesn't pull out any flashy tricks, its cinnamon and creamy notes are quite pleasant. On the palate, the beer starts off a bit crisp. Notes of clove and other spices come in, along with a very prominent taste of cinnamon. The spices are just shy enough to resist the "in your face" pandemic sweeping the world of spiced pumpkin beers.

The finish is quite sweet: malty with a hint of creamy pumpkin. All in all, I'd put this lager up there with the more well-balanced, highly drinkable spiced beers.

1.76/5  rDev -48.5%

Ugh, why a pumpkin lager? It looks okay, a bit orange, but not bad. Smell is almost offensive, pumpkin beers don't need pumpkin pie spices. The spices by the way make it taste and feel like you're drinking the unfortunate child of a beer and a pumpkin pie. Overall, just a bad idea.

4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

Note: this bottle is from the basement beerchives, of un-remembered year. Notch on label indicates only the month of bottling (September)

Appearance: Poured a slightly hazy orange-y colour with a beautiful dense and long-lasting ==1 inch head. The haze doesn't offend me considering the age of the beer.

Aroma: Very malty and spicy, your usual "pumpkin pie" spices. No off aromas.

Flavour: Complex malty sweetness accented by spices. Spice character is reasonably assertive, but not overpowering. Time has been good to this marriage of malt and spice. The pumpkin is present, it's not all spice, but, as expected of any pumpkin beer, it's in the background.

Mouthfeel: It's in the mouthfeel where the presence of pumpkin in the beer really makes the difference compared to so-called "pumpkin" beers that are really just the pie spices. Medium body with a solid and full mouthfeel from the pumpkin and medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall, this beer has improved with aging in that the spices and the malt have softened and blended together well. It doesn't surprise me very much because Lakefront's Holiday Spice is also much better with a few years of aging than it is fresh from the brewery. This beer was just a big "wow!" when I opened it earlier today.

3.12/5  rDev -8.8%

I was blown away with this beer off the tapper at the brewery, and when I saw that I could get it locally in the bottle, I was really psyched. But, man--was I disappointed.

What happened? Tapped, I could have sworn I was drinking the best pumpkin pie I had ever tasted (even better on a crisp fall day, with the slight warmth of alcohol). Rich and full with a perfect balance of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, complete with a perfect whipped cream finish. My only issue was that it was so filling I could hardly finish it. But I didn't mind.

But then...the bottle. First-sip impression: beer. Second sip: Okay, beer with a few spices thrown in. Third sip: What the hell, I remember this tasting like rich pie, not a light-bodied lager! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad it just wasn't anywhere near where it should have been. But then again, it was a year after my first experience.

My advice: go to the brewery for a truly exceptional, one-of-a-kind brew...but treat it just as that--one-of-a-kind, and not to be found anywhere off the premises.

The aroma of this beer first hits you as a real spicy and sweet beer. Quite the opposite. This beer has a real light mouth feel but the hint of sweetness is just of enough to have one beer per night.

This beer is not too sweet and not too savory this beer can go well with savory foods such as turkey and be a great dessert beer or just to drink around.

3.24/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a clear rusty orange. Very little lacing and a quickly disappearing white head.

Nutmeg and cinnamon in up front in the nose, not much for pumpkin in the aroma.

One thing that makes this pumpkin stand out is the notice yeast strain taste that underlies the spies. Definitely more of a spicy pumpkin beer, I do much get much for the sweet or full pumpkin taste found in other beers.

Very dry mouthfeel - not much to it really. Flavors fade fast.

Average pumpkin beer - I don't think I would purchase this again.

Poured a nice copper color,
Aroma of spice,very little punpkin
taste of perfume and very sour
The mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and at the finish with a milde aftertaste that I did not care for. The mild flavor contained notes of pumpkin
would not drink again

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Served in a bottle. I bought a whole pack of these today at Pick N Save for tonight's Packer game, figured since I was drinking it I would review it.

Appearance: has a nice orange color to it, good head and decent lacing

Smell: has both a pumpkin and cinnamon smell to it. the two of them can be differentiated (i mean that in a good sort of way)

Taste: the sweetness of the pumpkin hits first, but then after that I picked up a cinnamon and clove taste. there is definitely a good blend of pumpkin and spice here.

Mouthfeel: has a pretty average lager texture to it, which while not bad in most cases, I would almost like this one to be a bit less carbonated so it doesn't detract from the pumpkin flavor (then again, that's my opinion. regardless, I do like this one).

Overall: I did read from some of the other reviews on here that some people did pick up on almost a crust-like flavor in the background. I do get that impression from this one. All in all, this is a good seasonal selection. personally i would like it if this was an all year beer instead of a seasonal.

2.33/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is exactly what a lager is in respect to smell and taste. The appearance was close to a light orange/dark gold consistency. The beer had little aromaticity in regard to the being a pumpkin beer. I caught a hint of some spices. I honestly would expect to be able to smell the pumpkin or some floral/nutty undertones. This beer did not have that aspect. The taste was like a smooth a normal lager style beer. It didnt have much bite back and was very smooth. Overall, I just wasnt impressed with the beer itself. I think pumpkin beer should at least have scent and taste of pumpkin.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

I was introduced to this when it came out last year, but didn't realize it was a limited edition. When I came back it was gone and they said: try again next year. This year, I barely got the last six pack, or I would have bought more. I'm not usually a huge fan of pumpkin beers because they usually taste like somebody got out of hand with some pie spices and I can't really find the pumpkin in it... that is not the case here. It actually tastes of pumpkin. Good fresh lager and pumpkin. One of the things I especially like about this beer is it's elegance. There's not 1000 things going on to keep you from noticing the few that didn't go well.

It's cloudy in appearance, it's got a fresh pumpkiny smell, crisp apple notes at the front of the pallet, malty as it warms, strong pumpkin finish.

I'll be buying it again next year. :)

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance - Golden Yellow, a little hazy. White fizzy head, doesn't trail off too quickly. I'm intrigued by this one. Looks Good.

Smell - This smells sweet, maybe a little citrus, some honey. Pumpkin is there but not obtrusive.

Taste - Light, crisp, and a little sweet. I swear I'm tasting honey here, but I might be off. The pumpkin is coming through just right. I taste clove and nutmeg. The 6.0% abv is pretty up front in this one, but it's not a bad thing

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, it's a little carbonation heavy for a second but finishes nicely, which is what I expect for this style. Really enjoyable.

Overall - Really like this one. It delivers what I want in a pumpkin lager. The pumpkin and spices are there but they aren't overpowering. It all sits very well. This is clean, refreshing and very drinkable. I'd certainly pick this up again.

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.