My Turn Series: Dan - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

My Turn Series: DanMy Turn Series: Dan

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: bound4er on 11-18-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

jdkitchi, Sep 27, 2013

seeswo, Aug 18, 2013

MitchellBeir, Jul 08, 2013
4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

I am enjoying my final bottle of the limited-edition Dan on an unremarkable Saturday night, three days after quitting my job and for no better purpose than washing down some regrettable national chain pizza. It is as I remember it; I plowed through rather a lot of it when I could. A great walloping honker of a porter, 8.5% by volume, thick and rich and round and full. Yes, like the bottle says, a salty sweetness, almost a gourmet caramel kind of a thing. The body is frankly Rubenesque. Here she is, your Roller Derby Queen. Lassiez les bon temps roulez, etc.

This one needs to make a comeback. I live just up the hill from Lakefront Brewery and currently only their remarkable IBA comes close to punching these buttons for me. Similar to both the Sprecher Black Bavarian (my first love) and Oskar Blues' Old Chub but slightly hoppier and smoother than either. I wish I had thought to sock away more of it.

TWHansen, May 05, 2013

crobinso, May 20, 2012

TonyTalon, May 13, 2012

atone315, May 11, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a globe glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, and with half an inch of mocha foam. Offers moderate retention and light lace yet can re-up a light cap with a spin.

Nose is roasty with dry chocolate and a light touch of acidic fruit. Bit of alcohol is evident yet just enough to add some complexity to the aroma and not a distraction.

Flavor is roasty with cocoa powder and a light hop bitterness. Rather dry for the style and as a result yielding a dry and almost chalky mouthfeel, at least for the ABV. Quite drinkable as a flip side to that point.

Overall fairly decent aroma but a bit subdued in the flavor department. Does expand some with warming to offer more of a lingering finish. An Imperial Porter indeed but not as fruit forward as some classic Euro. versions.

HalfFull, May 10, 2012

Dan made a beer. I bought Dan't beer. Dan's beer made me happy. Thank you Dan.

I like that Lakfront is doing this employee appreciation beer. As a bean counter; I like that they started with a tax guy.

I am partial to baltic porters, which lead me to pick up this beer. After reading the label, I was surprised that a layman created this beer. He must have had help from the brewmasters because this is a very good baltic porter.

The look, smell, and feel are perfect. The flavor was a little thinner than I would like, but it comes off as not being a challenge on a Sunday night.

Dan did a good job. Good job, Dan.

ummswimmin, Apr 15, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Jammer42, Mar 25, 2012
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
My Turn Series: Dan from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.