My Turn Series: Dan - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

My Turn Series: DanMy Turn Series: Dan

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: bound4er on 11-18-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by JustHarmless:
4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

22 oz. bomber I picked up because I found the label intriguing.

A: Jet black color, with very little head but nice lacing

A: Nice smokiness, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit

T: Absolutely delicious. Starts off with a nice smokiness, balanced by the sweetness of the malts, dark chocolate and some coffee flavors

M: Nice mouthfeel, verges on being creamy, but on the thinner side. Well balanced.

O: Glad I picked this one up! Very nice example of a Baltic Porter. Well balanced, great flavors. I would highly recommend this beer! Nice job!

JustHarmless, Dec 17, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

An extraordinary find on my recent roadtrip to Portland.
Caught my attention at John's Market - a pure impulse buy.
Now, I regret not snatching up more of this gem.
Pours a beautiful dark brown into my brandy snifter.
Serves nicely warm. I highly recommend removing any chill before drinking.
Milky smooth. Mild chocolate notes.
Taste lingers on the palate leaving the nice warm feeling behind.
Dressing the Christmas tree and sipping on a Dan Porter. Doesn't get any better than that.

NWer, Dec 11, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -36.9%

I really wanted this. I really wanted to like this. Really I did. But it left me flat, which was slightly devastating considering it was the only bottle in the house.

A deep, dark pour with a beautiful tan-toned head built my hopes high, but a quick sniff betrayed nothing. Nada. No nose at all. Not that you should expect much, but you might think you'd get something - say some malt, some chocolate, some something, but I had to re-check my glass to make sure it was actually full. It was.

Taste-wise I'm sad to report the same. There was certainly mouthful after mouthful, but nothing hit me beyond a slight maltiness and a twinge of alcohol. Again, I was left with a mouthful of dashed hope. I will take a moment to say I am in San Francisco and this beer was apparently brewed and bottled in Milwaukee. Try as I might I couldn't find a date on the label/bottle, so who knows how long the trip out was and what might have happened along the way. As much as I'd like to give some benefit to the doubt, it's all I have to work with, and I doubt I'd gain any benefit by another shot at this one. Sorry Dan.

crowsoup, Feb 11, 2012

MitchellBeir, Jul 08, 2013
3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a globe glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, and with half an inch of mocha foam. Offers moderate retention and light lace yet can re-up a light cap with a spin.

Nose is roasty with dry chocolate and a light touch of acidic fruit. Bit of alcohol is evident yet just enough to add some complexity to the aroma and not a distraction.

Flavor is roasty with cocoa powder and a light hop bitterness. Rather dry for the style and as a result yielding a dry and almost chalky mouthfeel, at least for the ABV. Quite drinkable as a flip side to that point.

Overall fairly decent aroma but a bit subdued in the flavor department. Does expand some with warming to offer more of a lingering finish. An Imperial Porter indeed but not as fruit forward as some classic Euro. versions.

HalfFull, May 10, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -4%

props to andrenaline for including this in our latest trade
A - jet black, thumb of mocha head receded slowly leaving a thin film of lacing
S - roasty, cocoa, coffee, milky, slightly grainy with a mild smokiness
T - a definite hint of leafy hops mixes with big chocolately and roasty malts, hints of grain and some espresso, a sweet & sour milkiness, with earthy and woody flavours though the finish
M - medium to heavier body that a typical porter, solid carbonation kick, sweet and sour creaminess with a slightly smoky feel and a hint of alcohol heat
O - the hops accent makes this a unique porter, definitely a lot going on flavour wise but it all seems to come together in a kind of balance, well worth a try

joemcgrath27, Mar 11, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Dark beer in appearance, black with a tan head.
Full flavor of chocolate, dark roasted hops.
The Aroma was noticeable as soon as the cap was popped off, had a sweet smell once in the glass and allowed to breathe.
Sweet overall finish with an earthy flavor.

Was looking forward to trying this beer for a month, very fresh from the brewery, 'Dan WK 2' was stamped on the label. Though it was slightly difficult to decipher.

I am a big fan of Lakefront, I highly recommend to anyone from a novice taster (like me) to a connoisseur.

Mspread, Mar 13, 2012

amart80, Mar 10, 2012

josephwa, Jan 09, 2013

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

No bottle date on the 22oz bottle. There is a place for it but nothing there. There is a #001 on it. I assume this is a batch number.

Appearance- Black with a dark tan, frothy head. Decent lacing. 4/5

Smell- Roasted malts and some earthy bitterness. 3/5

Taste- Roasted malts again. Some earthy hop flavors. Some bitter coffee flavors as the beer warms. Very little chocolate in the end. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel. A bit thicker than your regular porter. 4/5

Overall- Decent beer. I would like the flavors to be a little more defined, but good none the less. 4/5

MADhombrewer, Feb 13, 2012

DrGonzoDDS, Mar 16, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

I really like this beer. It's not quite a stout, not quite a porter. It's almost like a darker Scottish ale. The black pour seems thin until it hits the glass and then turns to look thick. A bit soft on the head, but that's minor. Settles to thin lacing.

Chocolate and sweet roasted malt in the nose. A bit smoky, a bit of caramel. Toffee. Prune. Soft anise.

Flavors are spot on, just a tad loose. The chocolate and toffee come through but don't stay long. Hard to score this, so I'll take off on the MF as it's a bit thin and a bit slick. The smoke is light and lends some umami to the malt and caramel.

A darn fine beer. Not many Baltics out there. This is a nice one

Mebuzzard, Feb 02, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with red tinges around the edges– really great shade of red thanks to the beer's clearness. Light coating of thin tan head hangs around for a while, leaving behind light lacing.

S: Chocolate malts form the backbone of this one. Somewhat roasty, but with only a very light bitterness; heavy caramel, toffee, and dark fruit notes keep things on the sweet side. Just a hint of vanilla near the end.

T: Carries over from the smell mostly; very sweet, with some of the heartier roasted malt flavors coming out in the finish to keep things balanced. Notes of smoke and coffee that weren't around in the nose add complexity.

M: Smooth, creamy, medium-thick body, with very light carbonation. Extremely smooth finish.

O: More than the sum of its parts; the components of this beer work together well to make this one a great Baltic porter. Highly recommend it if you'll see it, and looking forward to future beers in this series from Lakefront.

AwYeh, Feb 05, 2012
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
My Turn Series: Dan from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.