2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

My Turn Series: Dan - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

My Turn Series: DanMy Turn Series: Dan

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: bound4er on 11-18-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 43 | Reviews: 19 | Show All Ratings:
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

I really like this beer. It's not quite a stout, not quite a porter. It's almost like a darker Scottish ale. The black pour seems thin until it hits the glass and then turns to look thick. A bit soft on the head, but that's minor. Settles to thin lacing.

Chocolate and sweet roasted malt in the nose. A bit smoky, a bit of caramel. Toffee. Prune. Soft anise.

Flavors are spot on, just a tad loose. The chocolate and toffee come through but don't stay long. Hard to score this, so I'll take off on the MF as it's a bit thin and a bit slick. The smoke is light and lends some umami to the malt and caramel.

A darn fine beer. Not many Baltics out there. This is a nice one

02-02-2012 07:26:14 | More by Mebuzzard
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours pitch black, solid thumb of mocha head, solid retention and nice sheeting lacing.

S - Musty leafy greens, cocoa, espresso, a unique peppery spice and smoke.

T - A tad mild, the cocoa and espresso come through alongside fresh green hops, rather earthy. The ABV is well hidden adding only the slightest sweetness to the brew. Not as rich as I would've expected.

M - Thick and chewy, though the carbonation comes across light, finishes wet.

O - A tasty baltic with unique flavours, well worth a try, though it could be amped up a notch to bring it to the top of the class.

03-04-2012 15:45:08 | More by andrenaline
HalfFull

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a globe glass from a 22 oz. bottle. Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, and with half an inch of mocha foam. Offers moderate retention and light lace yet can re-up a light cap with a spin.

Nose is roasty with dry chocolate and a light touch of acidic fruit. Bit of alcohol is evident yet just enough to add some complexity to the aroma and not a distraction.

Flavor is roasty with cocoa powder and a light hop bitterness. Rather dry for the style and as a result yielding a dry and almost chalky mouthfeel, at least for the ABV. Quite drinkable as a flip side to that point.

Overall fairly decent aroma but a bit subdued in the flavor department. Does expand some with warming to offer more of a lingering finish. An Imperial Porter indeed but not as fruit forward as some classic Euro. versions.

05-10-2012 04:55:45 | More by HalfFull
brewcrew76

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Solid black with ruby highlights when held to the light. Big khaki head with a bit of stickiness.

S - Bittersweet chocolate, sweet caramel malt, coffee, dark fruits but they are light.

T - Lightly roasted malts with rich caramel, bittersweet chocolate, black coffee and some dark fruits as it warms but they are light as the aroma. Gets a little roastier as it warms.

M - Full bodied and maybe even a bit chewy at times.

D - Very solid Baltic porter. A touch roasty for my preference (would like a little more dark fruit) but I can't complain.

02-05-2012 01:46:35 | More by brewcrew76
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

props to andrenaline for including this in our latest trade
A - jet black, thumb of mocha head receded slowly leaving a thin film of lacing
S - roasty, cocoa, coffee, milky, slightly grainy with a mild smokiness
T - a definite hint of leafy hops mixes with big chocolately and roasty malts, hints of grain and some espresso, a sweet & sour milkiness, with earthy and woody flavours though the finish
M - medium to heavier body that a typical porter, solid carbonation kick, sweet and sour creaminess with a slightly smoky feel and a hint of alcohol heat
O - the hops accent makes this a unique porter, definitely a lot going on flavour wise but it all seems to come together in a kind of balance, well worth a try

03-11-2012 01:12:11 | More by joemcgrath27
BeerLover99

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A: black body, finger khaki head,
fine lacing

S: mild cocoa, malt, caramel, malt, roasted nuts

T: sweet cocoa, big malt, nutty/caramel,
mild coffee, dark fruit smooth/chewy finish

M: heavy/med body, chewy/smooth mouth

O: Another fine Lakefront bomber!
I really love porters and baltic porters
are simply outstanding. ABV well hidden
within the smooth flavors.
Would highly recommend and get again,
if offered. I really miss Great Lakes breweries
and especially, my favorite state (WI). And
this is coming from an IL native. ;)

DELICIOUS, TREAT YOURSELF!

12-28-2011 19:41:03 | More by BeerLover99
WastingFreetime

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured out almost but not quite jet-black, with a sad little tan half-finger head that fizzles out in half a minute, <sigh>. Color is dead on, but head is very much...not. Texture is on the thinner side of medium, but also undercarbonated just as indicated by the head. Smells of a robust semi-burnt barley and baking chocolate just like it ought to, at least, tastes of the same but also includes that pleasant tangy acidity that good Baltic Porters have....also really REALLY dry...bang on target with flavor and smell but falls somewhat short on carbonation, texture, and head presentation.

12-27-2011 23:04:03 | More by WastingFreetime
ummswimmin

Dan made a beer. I bought Dan't beer. Dan's beer made me happy. Thank you Dan.

I like that Lakfront is doing this employee appreciation beer. As a bean counter; I like that they started with a tax guy.

I am partial to baltic porters, which lead me to pick up this beer. After reading the label, I was surprised that a layman created this beer. He must have had help from the brewmasters because this is a very good baltic porter.

The look, smell, and feel are perfect. The flavor was a little thinner than I would like, but it comes off as not being a challenge on a Sunday night.

Dan did a good job. Good job, Dan.

04-15-2012 22:53:57 | More by ummswimmin
AwYeh

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with red tinges around the edges– really great shade of red thanks to the beer's clearness. Light coating of thin tan head hangs around for a while, leaving behind light lacing.

S: Chocolate malts form the backbone of this one. Somewhat roasty, but with only a very light bitterness; heavy caramel, toffee, and dark fruit notes keep things on the sweet side. Just a hint of vanilla near the end.

T: Carries over from the smell mostly; very sweet, with some of the heartier roasted malt flavors coming out in the finish to keep things balanced. Notes of smoke and coffee that weren't around in the nose add complexity.

M: Smooth, creamy, medium-thick body, with very light carbonation. Extremely smooth finish.

O: More than the sum of its parts; the components of this beer work together well to make this one a great Baltic porter. Highly recommend it if you'll see it, and looking forward to future beers in this series from Lakefront.

02-05-2012 09:21:38 | More by AwYeh
NWer

Washington

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

An extraordinary find on my recent roadtrip to Portland.
Caught my attention at John's Market - a pure impulse buy.
Now, I regret not snatching up more of this gem.
Pours a beautiful dark brown into my brandy snifter.
Serves nicely warm. I highly recommend removing any chill before drinking.
Milky smooth. Mild chocolate notes.
Taste lingers on the palate leaving the nice warm feeling behind.
Dressing the Christmas tree and sipping on a Dan Porter. Doesn't get any better than that.

12-11-2011 20:47:40 | More by NWer
ForWhatAlesYou

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

22oz bomber from the brewery in Milwaukee, WI.

A: The blackest beer I've ever seen. No discernible color tones. Pours a 3+ finger foamy beige head. Falls quickly but leaves a good lace.

S: Plum, chocolate, port.

T: Delicious! Rich but not overtly syrupy. Smoky without being over bitter. Deep, dark,and very drinkable. Dark chocolate (85%+), smoke, & coffee.

M: Thinner than the taste suggests. Well balanced.

D: Good. Balance is the key here.

12-13-2011 15:49:22 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
bound4er

4.15/5  rDev +3%

From a bomber as part of Lakefront's new My Turn Series. Released only days ago.

A. Pours almost black with a two finger tan head that breaks fairly quickly.

S. Dark roasted malt, sweet chocolate and a hint of coffee.

T. Plenty of roasted malt flavor here - maybe some coffee and dark chocolate. Finishes with just a kiss of hop bitterness.

M. Creamy and rich without being syrupy.

O. Dan has done some nice work here - this is a tasty, easy to drink Baltic Porter that hides its alcohol extremely well. My bomber disappeared way too fast - this is one that I will grab more of without hesitation.

11-18-2011 02:10:26 | More by bound4er
MADhombrewer

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

No bottle date on the 22oz bottle. There is a place for it but nothing there. There is a #001 on it. I assume this is a batch number.

Appearance- Black with a dark tan, frothy head. Decent lacing. 4/5

Smell- Roasted malts and some earthy bitterness. 3/5

Taste- Roasted malts again. Some earthy hop flavors. Some bitter coffee flavors as the beer warms. Very little chocolate in the end. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- Good mouthfeel. A bit thicker than your regular porter. 4/5

Overall- Decent beer. I would like the flavors to be a little more defined, but good none the less. 4/5

02-13-2012 05:38:55 | More by MADhombrewer
rwrk42

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Pour: A dark black color with little beige head Smell: Roasted, sweet chocolate and coffee aroma
Taste: Roasted sweet maltiness. Coffee flavors are abundant with slight bitter acidity. Slightly bitter smooth finish.
A very good solid, tasty porter. A bit on the sweet side but would highly recommend a try

03-11-2012 02:46:21 | More by rwrk42
crowsoup

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%

I really wanted this. I really wanted to like this. Really I did. But it left me flat, which was slightly devastating considering it was the only bottle in the house.

A deep, dark pour with a beautiful tan-toned head built my hopes high, but a quick sniff betrayed nothing. Nada. No nose at all. Not that you should expect much, but you might think you'd get something - say some malt, some chocolate, some something, but I had to re-check my glass to make sure it was actually full. It was.

Taste-wise I'm sad to report the same. There was certainly mouthful after mouthful, but nothing hit me beyond a slight maltiness and a twinge of alcohol. Again, I was left with a mouthful of dashed hope. I will take a moment to say I am in San Francisco and this beer was apparently brewed and bottled in Milwaukee. Try as I might I couldn't find a date on the label/bottle, so who knows how long the trip out was and what might have happened along the way. As much as I'd like to give some benefit to the doubt, it's all I have to work with, and I doubt I'd gain any benefit by another shot at this one. Sorry Dan.

02-11-2012 01:42:40 | More by crowsoup
JustHarmless

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

22 oz. bomber I picked up because I found the label intriguing.

A: Jet black color, with very little head but nice lacing

A: Nice smokiness, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit

T: Absolutely delicious. Starts off with a nice smokiness, balanced by the sweetness of the malts, dark chocolate and some coffee flavors

M: Nice mouthfeel, verges on being creamy, but on the thinner side. Well balanced.

O: Glad I picked this one up! Very nice example of a Baltic Porter. Well balanced, great flavors. I would highly recommend this beer! Nice job!

12-17-2011 02:54:30 | More by JustHarmless
Bilwaukee

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at rumpus room. Group tasting session for employees.

Look: Dark black is a bit redundant but fitting. Had foam on top. Was light brownish.

Smell: Roasted malt. Yeast characters, some hops. Chocolate light faintness on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Fuller than expected.

Taste: just like smell but so much better. Coffee malts.

Overall: exactly what BJCP style guidelines say it should be. One of my personal favorites. Can't wait till its back in stock.

01-25-2012 20:18:19 | More by Bilwaukee
Mspread

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

Dark beer in appearance, black with a tan head.
Full flavor of chocolate, dark roasted hops.
The Aroma was noticeable as soon as the cap was popped off, had a sweet smell once in the glass and allowed to breathe.
Sweet overall finish with an earthy flavor.

Was looking forward to trying this beer for a month, very fresh from the brewery, 'Dan WK 2' was stamped on the label. Though it was slightly difficult to decipher.

I am a big fan of Lakefront, I highly recommend to anyone from a novice taster (like me) to a connoisseur.

03-13-2012 00:41:32 | More by Mspread
TWHansen

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

I am enjoying my final bottle of the limited-edition Dan on an unremarkable Saturday night, three days after quitting my job and for no better purpose than washing down some regrettable national chain pizza. It is as I remember it; I plowed through rather a lot of it when I could. A great walloping honker of a porter, 8.5% by volume, thick and rich and round and full. Yes, like the bottle says, a salty sweetness, almost a gourmet caramel kind of a thing. The body is frankly Rubenesque. Here she is, your Roller Derby Queen. Lassiez les bon temps roulez, etc.

This one needs to make a comeback. I live just up the hill from Lakefront Brewery and currently only their remarkable IBA comes close to punching these buttons for me. Similar to both the Sprecher Black Bavarian (my first love) and Oskar Blues' Old Chub but slightly hoppier and smoother than either. I wish I had thought to sock away more of it.

05-05-2013 07:21:15 | More by TWHansen
My Turn Series: Dan from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.