25th Anniversary Imperial Stout - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

25th Anniversary Imperial Stout25th Anniversary Imperial Stout

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 01-07-2013

Imperial stout with cherries, cocoa nibs, and vanilla, aged in used bourbon barrels.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

Big beer. Poured at a good temperature with a light brown, thick, foamy head that settle to an island and ring and a little lace. Aroma is malt, roast, molasses, old leather. Color is an opaque black brown. Flavor's like nose with more going on. Cocoa really comes out and sits on the fence between bitter and bittersweet. Also is a little soy, licorice, and medicine. Body is good; ditto carbonation. Finish is very long, a little boozy, and memorable. (453 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle purchased as part of a four pack at Willy St. Co op Middleton.

Nice inky black pour with a heady cinnamon puff that bubbles to the surface and moderate sticky lace. Honestly was a bit taken aback by how nice this looked in the glass. A pleasant greeting.

Rather soft on the nose with some dark malt, molasses, and the whisper of cherry purée. Upon vigorous swirling, the cherry flashes.

Molasses and dark malts seem to dominate the base. The cherry never really dominates, but seems just ever present, from front to back. Touch of vanilla is light but complimentary, which is welcomed considering I find vanilla a fickle bitch that can overwhelm a beer and taste extracts and artificial. This avoids that particular pitfall. My biggest complaint, if you can call it that, is that the cherry purée seems to mask many of the base stout favors, making it good but somewhat non descript. It seems to ride atop the base and strangle out any real nuances while not really integrating itself.

Medium bodied and appropriately carbonated. Actually, it quite oily.

Overall, this is a nice effort from Lakefront and I look forward to their other Anniversary beers. I would like to see if time allows the flavors to mesh. Love affordable experimental four packs though. Keep it up Lakefront. (1,301 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a HUGE, dense, dark tan head that collapses into a nice, persistent head, with a touch of lacing. Nice, soft, coffee-like aroma is toasted and floral, and a touch tart. Black. Flavor is intense, deep, roasted, slightly tart, and a flash of booze. There are notes of cocoa early in. The hops build to a medium, floral bitterness, then the finish becomes very toasty and roasted where the floral hops linger, and the warming alcohol eminates from it. As the finish lingers, it takes on a black olive flavor which is very enjoyable!

A nice, medium-thick body. This is really good. The aroma is surprisingly subtle. There is a nice acidity to this (and I'm not a fan of acidic brews) that enhances the coffee-like character of it as the floral hops blend with cocoa. Really nice. (782 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into. 8 oz snifter.

A- pours black with a 1 finger dark cola head. Blotches and some trails of lacing remain on the glass.

S- roast, chocolate, molasses and dark fruits.

T- chocolate, roasted malts, molasses with just some bitterness, and dark fruits near the finish.

M- full body and medium carbonation. Very smooth and creamy, and drinks amazing at 10%

O- very solid RIS. Body of this beer is great and has nice roast and molasses notes. (471 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Black with ruby edges and a mocha head. Little lacing.

S - Starts big and roasty with almost burnt malt that slowly gives way to bittersweet cocoa nibs. As it warms the burnt goes away and leaves raw cocoa nibs and cherry. Some vanilla is also noticeable.

T - Cocoa nibs and chocolate followed by roasty malt and a toffee, caramel sweetness. The burnt like malt and chocolate create coffee and tobacco notes that are quickly smoothed out with tart cherry.

M - Medium to full bodied, smooth, sweet malt fighting with roasted bitterness and raw cocoa.

D - I very nice 25th anniversary beer. I can't wait to try the other beers in the 25th anniversary release. This one disappeared quick off the shelves. I hope to see more of it. (735 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A – A nice deep almost obsidian hue with no light coming through. A nice rich dark almond head sits atop and dissipates into a thin ring around my snifter. No noticeable amount of lacing.

S – A good wiff gives me baker’s chocolate, cocoa nibs, and a very faint fruit smell. Hints of vanilla and malts also present.

T – The taste surprised me as I wasn’t expecting it to be so rich with chocolate cover cherry flavor. I really enjoyed drinking this and the cherry became even more noticeable as the beer warmed and calmed the chocolate bitterness. It is not dominate cherry flavor, but it tastes great with the chocolate.

M – A nice rich creamy mouth feel. I didn’t find it too thin for a stout. I did not pick up any booze for a 10% ABV beer.

O – This was a very nice surprise from LFB, and is a very nice attempt at a stout. I wish they would make this a winter seasonal as another beer I would buy from them. (932 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Appearance was also rather good, dark nearly opaque. If I recall right, reasonability good head, tan with appropriate thickness.

S: It had a great smell, with a lot going on. You pick up roasted malts, toffee, and some dark fruit, plum being what I remember most.

T: Pretty complex. Leads with the toffee / roasted malts and finishes with the dark fruits. I didn't particularly like the finish, the cherries / plum on the finish wasn't pleasing to me and was why I didn't order a glass. It's by no means bad, don't get me wrong; just wasn't for me.

M: Mouthfeel was good, with a medium to heavy, as is typical for the style.

O: Overall pretty good. The taste would keep me from really falling in love with this. I would certainly try a full pour to be fair. Also bringing in price point, I'd say this offers a pretty good value. (838 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A. Pours to a near black appearance with a frothy dark tan head that breaks fairly quickly.

S. Quite rich on the nose with chocolate, vanilla, roasted grain and faint cherry.

T. Dark roasted malt and chocolate upon entry. Finishes with good bitterness and a lingering cherry aftertaste.

M. Rich and full bodied with just enough carbonation to keep things from becoming too heavy.

O. This is a strong effort and worth seeking out. The cocoa nibs add a nice flavor dimension with the Door County cherries adding a unique but somewhat odd dimension. I will be buying more of this beer as it goes perfectly with our January weather. (636 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up a single bottle of this in Madison and my friend who lives in Milwaukee was surprised I was able to find it as he had struck out in his search. I split the bottle between myself and two other people so I only got a few ounces. I will most likely pick up another to get a better feel for this.

The beer was very dark and looked like an impressive imperial stout. It smelled like cherries, chocolate along with some of the typical smells from an imperial stout (liquorice, fruits) but the smell wasn't overly powerful. The taste was much the same and I also got some vanilla when I took a sip.

Comparing this to the other other cherry stout I have had (Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Cherry), this was better but still not as great as some other imperial stouts. But like I said, I want to try this again and it was definitely a good enough beer to warrant another buy.

EDIT-I found a 4 pack in the Madison area so I was able to have this beer again. On second thought, this isn't quite as good as I thought it was. The cherry taste doesn't come through as much as I'd like and overall I thought the beer was rather bitter masking some of the good Imperial Stout flavors. I initially thought that I liked this better than CW Cherry Stout but I think I am changing my mind. (1,285 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle, purchased in a 4-pack from Whole Foods.

Pours jet black with ruby edges. This beer has a modest but thick head, with a dark color that reminds me of Ten Fidy. There isn't too much of an aroma to speak of. Traces of fruit and roasted malt come through upon closer inspection. The first thing I noticed upon sipping the beer was how highly carbonated it was. Cherries and faint vanilla make themselves apparent at first, leading to the backbone of dark chocolate. As I said, this beer is highly carbonated for the style, but the carbonation becomes less apparent with every sip. The mouthfeel is very full, not incredibly thick, but it coats the mouth nicely. As the beer warms cherries become more apparent throughout. Finishes clean, with some of that semi-bitter chocolate flavor hanging around. Alcohol is hidden incredibly well. Overall a very good effort from Lakefront. (897 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10% ABV, Bottled on 12/26/12 on shoulder.

A - Clarity is visible through the pour but this beer is a rich dark chocolate black in the glass. Creamy, thick dark mocha foam tops the beer and resides there for quite a while before deflating to a thin skim leaving lace clutching the glass in it's wake.

S - Lakefront's 25th Anniversary imperial stout has a big nose of dark malt but is by no means overly roasted. Mellow milk chocolate and cocoa flourish with a smooth, voluptuous creamy aroma that's trailed by notes of tart Door County cherries. Smooth notes of alcohol barely seem to poke through, aiding in the beers rich and creamy appeal.

T - A near perfect reflection of the beer's aroma, the flavor showcases cocoa nibs and chocolate flavor first and foremost with smooth caramel sweetness balanced by a touch of coffee roast bitterness on the finish. Tart cherries peek though but seem a bit disjointed from the rest of the beer, almost like an afterthought.

M - If I had to describe the feel of this beer in one word; heavenly. Rich and smooth, almost throat-coating but supple carbonation keeps this voluptuous beer lively. Bold malt sweetness meets balance with a touch of roasted bitterness and tart cherry skins on the finish.

O - Besides the somewhat odd and faint use of tart cherries in this beer, this first installment of Lakefront's Anniversary Series beers is a smash hit! Wonderful chocolate maltiness is soothing with suggestions of coffee, all wrapped up in one full-bodied and rich package, surprisingly void of alcohol perception! (1,605 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
25th Anniversary Imperial Stout from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.