Imperial Pumpkin - Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Imperial Pumpkin
No picture uploaded.

Lakefront Brewery, Inc. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 09-05-2013

Pumpkin and spiced bock aged in used oak Korbel brandy barrels. Originally brewed for their 25th Anniversary.
3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

It got better as it warmed. But the alcohol astringency was just too distracting. (Will I ever find a pumpkin beer I like?)

It's also way too sweet. Like a Pumpkin schnapps.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Didn't think I'd give a pumpkin this high of rating but I was very impressed by this Bock. I enjoy many of Lakefront's beers and this one is the best Pumpkin I've had so far. Actually was lucky I got my hands on it cause after talking to the Cellar they did have ONE 4 pack but it was in the back. Tried it while watching some fall football. The brandy really comes out but not overpowering. Almost making the pumpkin spice taste more warm. Very drinkable and ready for a great sit down and relax brew.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear burnt orange with a modest head; splashy lacing lingers behind

Smell: Rich pumpkin pie aromatics with a waft of brandy

Taste: There is solid base of pumpkin flavor with the pie spices building above; vanilla, oak and brandy elements arrive, after the swallow; a bit sweet and boozy, in the finish

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: Bought this on a whim to compare to the Pumpkin Lager and, while I was told that this was a reprise of the 25th anniversary beer, I note that this is an ale while that beer was a lager; anyway, in comparison to its little brother, this shows what using ale yeast can do for the style; certainly, an excellent pumpkin beer and the brandy (while a touch overwrought) really adds a nice aspect

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A little light on the brandy influence....

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

One of my favorite pumpkin beers. Good move by Lakefront bringing it back. It actually seems a little boozier this year. Definitely taste the brandy. Bit of pumpkin too. More pie than actual pumpkin.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pumpkin pie and a boozy, warm kick from the brandy barrel aging. I'm glad Lakefront brought this back this year; it's an interesting take on pumpkin beers.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Once the calendar turned to September, I am willing to drink pumpkin beers. This one hit Madison right after Labor Day so I thought it would be a fun way to kick off pumpkin beer season.

This is the first beer I have had that is brandy barrel aged The smell was of fairly strong brandy which I rather enjoyed. Initially I tasted brandy as well but as it warmed, more pumpkin pie spice came through. The only real negative thing I can say about this beer is that it was a little dry. Don't know if the brandy barrels would do that?

Overall, a really good pumpkin beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A-dark reddish amber color with a smallish cream-colored head and a little lacing

S-caramel malt, pumpkin, spices, vanilla

T-caramel malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, Brandy, oak, vanilla, brown sugar

F-medium body with light to moderate carbonation, smooth

O-I really liked what the Brandy did for this beer, subtle but complimentary, wish they made more of this

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

From notes on 10/7/2013

Tried a sample of this at a beerfest in Madison. Thought it was great, probably best I tried at the fest. Nice pumpkin and spice flavors. What really added to it was the subtle brandy flavor brought out by the aging process. Really added a nice sweet finish to it. This is a little rich in flavor though, and I think the sample I had was perfect. Don’t know if I could drink a whole one by myself. Perfect beer to share after a nice meal.

too boozy.

Imperial Pumpkin from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.