Dunkel Weizen - Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: tgbljb on 12-29-2006)
Mike925

08-10-2012 17:52:02 | More by Mike925
ROGUE16

Delaware

12-07-2011 19:29:03 | More by ROGUE16
ronisize15

4.13/5  rDev +3%

I admit I am young. I have been drinking micros now for about 4 years after going through college. Overall I really enjoy this dunkle. I just bought a kegerator and my first tap was this dunkle. When I just bought cases I always bought samples of brewers because I like different styles. I was worried even though I wanted a kegerator that the commitment to one style would be hard for me. I love any type of weizen and I really enjoyed it. Some reviews have mentioned the cloudyness and how it could be be unappealing but I love that in an unfiltered brew. Anyway the taste to me was flavorful and smooth. This beer has made realize the kegerator was a good choice and I am happy that this beer was my first tap.

11-07-2010 05:58:11 | More by ronisize15
bigfnjoe

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Served on tap into a mug club mug.

A- pours a dark, cloudy, almost murky shade of brown with a one finger tan head. Quite frankly...it really doesn't look too appealing

S- getting a lot out of this...hints of banana, caramel, clove, and roasted malts. Really complex and interesting

T- mostly a lot of roasted malts, with hints of banana in there as well.

M- feel is good. Thin if you judge it based on the color, thick if you judge it based on the flavor. Overall...goood drinking

D- yeah, this is pretty great. Gives you some stouty elements while also keeping the qualities you'd enjoy from a hefeweizen.

09-22-2010 20:46:58 | More by bigfnjoe
ffejherb

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Served on tap at Lancaster Brewing Co.

A - Cloudy/murky brown body with small frothy off-white head.
Head disappeared by the end of the glass and produced only minimal lacing.

S - Moderate malt aroma with a light breadiness and moderate yeasty aroma. Dominant banana aroma with some clove notes. Not really a hop presence here.

T - Light, sweet initial flavor. Breadiness up front with a dominant banana finish. Some biscuity malt as well. No bitterness.

M - Medium to full body with a somewhat watery texture and soft carbonation.

D - Not a bad dunkel weiss. The banana flavor was pleasant, but not too overbearing, and balanced well with the breadiness.

11-20-2007 02:32:47 | More by ffejherb
woodychandler

This arrived with a thick, rocky, off-tan head. The color was a slightly-
cloudy, deep amber. My initial taste had me thinking that the mouthfeel was much fuller and thicker than what I expected. It had a slight biscuity taste on the palate and I realized that it was being served much too cold. I set it down to let it warm a bit and I was able to perceive a big banana-ester nose. Warming, I got notes of plum and raisin on the tongue plus the clove aspect became more prevalent. The mouthfeel felt even thicker than before. It was tasty, but with that weizen-yeast driven flavor that remains one of my least favorites.

11-05-2007 23:57:28 | More by woodychandler
BuckSpin

Maine

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: 16oz draft in a classic conical pint glass

Sweet initially, the nose is lite, fruited, the most wonderful butterscotch & caramel quality rising. Head was a tight finger's worth of warm, blanched almond hued foam that faded rather quickly to a thin sheen with an edge ring that didn't lace over a strikingly handsome, brassy burnt orange amber hued body that was crystal clear.

Mmm..its clean, creamy, very smooth with a wonderful mouthfeel, yet also has a crispness to it as a pleasing balance. Malts are caramelized and sweet, faint citrus fruit, an easy to drink beer. The butterscotch quality from the nose carries thru to the taste, a most enjoyable sensation. Its semi-dry in general, with a peep of hops to round it out. It grows slightly drier on the palate, crisper, more cider like in sweetness and mouthfeel, yet finishes very smooth, richer with *smile* more butterscotch, leaving a clean, coating aftertaste that is mostly sweet but not sugary.

A damn tasty beer. I really enjoyed the butterscotch qualities and overall sweetness, yet it keeps all of that balanced with other aspects. A wonderful beer I could revisit many times, and would do so if I could. Definitely recommended.

05-31-2007 00:25:55 | More by BuckSpin
cichief

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

On-tap at Friscoes Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Deep brown nearly opaque, with a light brown head.
S- Banana and cloves present.

T- Semi-sweet, balanced, with cloves and bananas throughout.

M- Medium to thin on the tongue, well balanced, very carbonated.

D- Light enough to have several of these

04-22-2007 04:14:18 | More by cichief
weeare138

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Ortino's Northside...
Appears a murky brown with a red hue and a 1 finger, off-white head that slowly fades out into a mild cap and collar. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell...as a humungous fan of this style, I found this to be right on. Clovey, hints of cocoa, and toasted wheat infused with granola and a touch of fruit. There's barely a trace of banana esters in this one, which is the way I like it.
Taste is right on. Spices, highlighted by cloves and cocoa powder with a toasted, nutty wheat flavor that is authentic and enjoyable.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, semi-sweet up front, filling out the palate with a gentle hoppiness that works well within the style, all before leading to a lasting finish.

02-12-2007 17:32:07 | More by weeare138
MaltyGoodness

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler filled @ the brewery yesterday (1/6/07)

Pours a clear, medium chestnut brown with a small tan head that fades. Minor lacing on the glass.

Deliciously bready and yeasty aroma with a nice nuttiness and tones of banana and clove.

Taste is bready and yeasty upfront leading into a light toasted nuttiness. This gives way to nice banana and clove flavors. Finishes with a light lingering nuttiness.

Medium-light body, nice carbonation.

This is a fantastic dunkel weizen and goes down with ease. This is the best beer I have from Lancaster to date. I generally enjoy their beers on tap, but they've never had an offering that amazed me. This dunkel is dead on for style and should not be passed up if given the chance to try some. It's not being bottled - which is probably good as their bottled versions are never as good as their draft counterparts.

01-08-2007 02:46:31 | More by MaltyGoodness
Phatz

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Served a dark ruddy brown with an off white head and significant lacing.

Smell: Malty bready, caramel, fruits like banana and papaya.

Taste: Fruity dark and sweet. It had a flavor that made me think of dark caramel and brown sugar drizzled over mango and banana and this fruity center was wrapped in a wheat bread bowl. There were also hints of vanilla and a nice serving of cinnamon and nutmeg. It had a lip smacking gently astringent dry finish followed by a resurgence of some sweet flavors that linger on the lips.

Mouthfeel: Very very smooth with a large/medium body.

Drinkability: I started into this beer with a bit of reservation but as I explored it further I became more and more pleased. The flavors sweet like a Dunkel Weizen with some winter spices. It is a bit to sweet to session IMO but it is refreshing and tasty and a welcome winter seasonal from Lancaster Brewing Company. I have recently be yearning for something new from them. Thanks!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

01-03-2007 06:36:37 | More by Phatz
tgbljb

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Enyoyed at the brewpub.
Served as a very dark reddish brown beer with moderate slightly off-white puffy head.
Smell is signicant for bananas, almost like banana bread.
The taste combines the banana and wheat notes in the perfect combination to produce a great beeer. Almost like liquid banana bread.
Nice mouthfeel with good taste retention.
Very pleasant easy drinking beer. Got even better as it warmed.

12-29-2006 01:00:35 | More by tgbljb