Milk Stout - Lancaster Brewing Company

Milk StoutMilk Stout

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.30% ABV

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milk Stout Alström Bros

Lancaster location

Wow. Lancaster brewing Co. has again surprised me with another brilliant beer. Milk Stout pours pitch black with a very thick dark head. Very nice lacing. Tastes rich, smooth, and very noticeable amounts of lactose. Reminds me ALOT of guiness, but with a different aftertaste.

Will definitely buy again.

This is absolute my favorite milk stout. Not as sweet as some others, with a pleasant smell and notes of coffee with a nice amount of stout bitterness balanced superbly by the added lactose. If you like Left Hand but, like me, find it to be too sweet, try this beer ASAP.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

I was going for a porter, and I found just the right one. I had tried Lancaster's Strawberry beer and like it, so I figured why not try this.

It's a very dark beer. In a glass it appears black, but really it's a dark dark brown. A small head of yellow appears when pore

It has a nice and burnt smell. For some reason I get the feeling it smells of molasses. The color of the beer is almost the same as molasses too.

The taste is deep, more burnt flavors, with a somewhat surprisingly not bitter, but slightly sweet finish. I guess this could be from the milk.

It's a heavy beer but it makes me want to drink more. I'm glad I bought a case of this while I was in Pennsylvania!

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

5-24-20 - poured into a pint glass - 12 Fl. oz. capped bottle

Appearance: pours an opaque black with a creamy, tan head. It has good head retention and plenty of lacing.

Smell: A distinct aroma with caramel, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla bean present.

Taste: Flavors are similar to the aroma as coffee, chocolate, and caramel are all at hand. Roasted malt sweetness follows adding complexity, especially as the beer warms. The finish is dry with some hop bitterness that helps perfect the balance.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation. This beer develops pleasantly over the palate, but is just a little too quick and thin.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable with great balance! This is an excellent example of the style.

Comments: Not surprisingly, this is one of my favorite milk stouts. Every time I visit Lancaster Brewing Company, I have a pint of this beer. For me, this is their best beer!

Milk Stout from Lancaster Brewing Company