1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Milk Stout - Lancaster Brewing Company

Milk StoutMilk Stout

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.30% ABV

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milk Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 871 | Reviews: 442 | Show All Ratings:
NaLoGra

Wow. Lancaster brewing Co. has again surprised me with another brilliant beer. Milk Stout pours pitch black with a very thick dark head. Very nice lacing. Tastes rich, smooth, and very noticeable amounts of lactose. Reminds me ALOT of guiness, but with a different aftertaste.

Will definitely buy again.

04-13-2011 22:06:30 | More by NaLoGra
aqualung23

This is absolute my favorite milk stout. Not as sweet as some others, with a pleasant smell and notes of coffee with a nice amount of stout bitterness balanced superbly by the added lactose. If you like Left Hand but, like me, find it to be too sweet, try this beer ASAP.

12-24-2013 17:54:15 | More by aqualung23
danronian

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

I was going for a porter, and I found just the right one. I had tried Lancaster's Strawberry beer and like it, so I figured why not try this.

It's a very dark beer. In a glass it appears black, but really it's a dark dark brown. A small head of yellow appears when pore

It has a nice and burnt smell. For some reason I get the feeling it smells of molasses. The color of the beer is almost the same as molasses too.

The taste is deep, more burnt flavors, with a somewhat surprisingly not bitter, but slightly sweet finish. I guess this could be from the milk.

It's a heavy beer but it makes me want to drink more. I'm glad I bought a case of this while I was in Pennsylvania!

11-28-2010 23:57:16 | More by danronian
MarvinSnyder

West Virginia

4.78/5  rDev +22.9%

5-24-20 - poured into a pint glass - 12 Fl. oz. capped bottle

Appearance: pours an opaque black with a creamy, tan head. It has good head retention and plenty of lacing.

Smell: A distinct aroma with caramel, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla bean present.

Taste: Flavors are similar to the aroma as coffee, chocolate, and caramel are all at hand. Roasted malt sweetness follows adding complexity, especially as the beer warms. The finish is dry with some hop bitterness that helps perfect the balance.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation. This beer develops pleasantly over the palate, but is just a little too quick and thin.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable with great balance! This is an excellent example of the style.

Comments: Not surprisingly, this is one of my favorite milk stouts. Every time I visit Lancaster Brewing Company, I have a pint of this beer. For me, this is their best beer!

05-24-2010 20:10:13 | More by MarvinSnyder
Stinkypuss

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

Appearance: Black and thick. Similar to Guinness.

Smell: Sweet. Dark. Chocolate. Roasted.

Taste: Smooth with a sweet aftertaste. Full Bodied and refreshing. Stands strong as it approaches room temperature.

Mouth: Lightly carbonated with a rich finish.

Drinkability: Goes down incredibly fast. Stands by itself as a fine beer.

04-14-2008 23:56:26 | More by Stinkypuss
dieselmilk

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

I bought a 6-pack at the brewery and also had a few bottles at a local bar. I've had this straight from the bottle and poured in a pint glass.

A - Classic dark stout color with some deep brown and red showing through on the edges of the glass when held to the light. The head was completely gone when poured gently and very tall when poured vigorously. When present, the tan head had large bubbles.

S - Great strong burnt chocolate smell that reaches you quickly when poured into a pint glass.

T - Excellent. It doesn't have a faint or weak taste like guinness, but hits you with a delicious burnt, bitter sweet chocolate flavor that lasts through the aftertaste. The finish is a good bitter that gives you a little bite on it's way out.

M - This beer has CO2 instead of nitro like many stouts have adopted, and the carbonation is pretty high, so don't expect a rich creaminess. This is the only thing I wish was different because I think the nitro-creaminess would make this beer 100% perfect for someone like me who loves the nitro.

D - The upside of not having nitro is that this beer doesn't feel heavy or overly thick, so it's extremely easy for me to put back a bunch of these very quickly.

Overall I love this beer. This is a stout that nails you with flavor, nothing weak about it. Delicious with an ABV of 5.3%, which can give you a quick buzz since these are so easy to throw back.

01-06-2011 20:50:24 | More by dieselmilk
rhoadsrage

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a jet black with an opaque body with a thick creamy tan head that last and last leaving rings on the glass with each sip. There is no sign carbonation even on the edges of this glass.

S- The smell of big black malt with dark roasted grain aromas with a slight sweaty note but it is a very good smell. There is also a slight sour cream hint with some soft cookie dough and graham cracker note as the beer warms.

T- The taste of dark roasted malt with a coffee malt flavor is followed by a nice bitterness from dark roasted grain. As this beer warms the smell of chocolate nibs and dark chocolate notes.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a nice velvety texture that is very smooth and fits the beer very nicely.

D- This dark complex beer has a creamy texture and is very drinkable. This is one of the best stouts I have ever tasted and it is just delicious. I will be buying this by the case the next time I get to PA. I even sniffed the glass many times after this beer was gone.

01-20-2007 04:18:02 | More by rhoadsrage
undeadozzy

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

A - Poured vigorously into a pint glass, nice murky darkness with a caramel/chocolate colored frothy head that formed quickly. Left lots of lacing on the glass as the beer was consumed.

S - The chocolate is definitely the big player here. Picked up on that immediately, along with some malt, chocolate malt, some definite coffee, maybe some chocolate milk (like ovaltine), and scent akin to Kahlua. Very good scent.

T - Like my other favorite milk stout (left hand) this tastes like chocolate milk. Nice rich chocolate taste with some cocoa bean, rich coffee, mocha, caramel, some dark hops, deep burnt malt taste, and a great cocoa roast finish. Delicious.

M - Nice and thick, like real chocolate milk. The frothiness that was present when I poured it kinda went away over time, which is a little disappointing, but in no way takes away from the positive points this beer has.

O - I've always had great respect for all of Lancaster's beers, and this is no different. A great example of a milk stout!

05-14-2012 02:31:39 | More by undeadozzy
Jarod

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

I have only had this beer twice. It has a nice dark color to it almost completly opaque. Great flavor. Nice meld of milk flavoring, caramel, dark chocolate, toffee. But not too overpowering and sweet. Not too sweet. Very drinkable and delicious. It has a nice head to it that reflects the color of the beer. It left a nice lace behind on the glass. This beer was good down to the last drop even as it warmed alittle at the bottom. I was pleasantly surprised as most beers kind of change as they get to the bottom and warm up.
To sum it all up in 1 word. SMOOTH
I would do it again

10-23-2002 07:52:55 | More by Jarod
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.63/5  rDev +19%

Pours a chestnut tinged ebony with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Lactose & cocoa

T: Follows the nose, along cream flavor & dryness up front. Lactose sweetness, dryness & a touch of iron are all there as this warms. Finishes sweet, dry & with cocoa cream

MF: Smooth & creamy with minimal carbonation

Drank sooo easy, easily in my top 2 of straight up milk stouts, yummy!

12-02-2009 00:32:59 | More by russpowell
shapudding

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark impenetrable chocolate brown darkness. Khaki head was beautifully thick but settled down to only a thin covering. Still very nice. Dark scents, lovely....yummy and sweet and toasty goodness.
Right amount of carbination... jusssst right. Med/thick, stout like feel that slides around quite nice and thick. Tastes house red wine, sweetness -from the lactose, but yet not too sweet. Bit of a red berry taste in there...
Which is a good p.s.'er, this is nice to blend up with their strawberry wheat as a half -n- half.
I really do not feel it is too heavy to make it not an easy drinker. Those who like the darks and the stouts will most likely find it an easy drinker.
This is just a good beer, I know some who just don't appreciate it, but I do enjoy it. First time I had it was tailgating at one of the last Vet concerts, someone saw my beer goodness and asked for a taste, then wanted to offer up a replacement. I said none needed, but he pulled out one of these which I had not tasted yet, kinda cool.

09-11-2004 01:53:25 | More by shapudding
waughbrew

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Black with a beige head that recedes to a ring. Smells like medium-roast coffee beans, charcoal, and yeast. Flavor is plenty roasty, plenty smooth, very balanced. I tend to pick up strawberries in stouts, and this one is no exception. Coffee is big, but the lactose and caramel sweetness keeps it from being too much. Finishes as a beautiful, slow, earthy decrescendo. Medium body feels so easy going down. This is just a very well-rounded beer. Very enjoyable, and I would be happy to have a couple of these in a row.

11-06-2005 05:10:16 | More by waughbrew
Phatz

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is such a great beer from Lancaster Brewing Company. As a stout fan I have to admit this is my favorite of their selections.

Appearance: It pours a very dark mahogany brown that looks black. Enticing with a light chocolaty brown head. Very good appearance.

Smells like sugar and Cream. I could really smell the cream mmm, and hints of chocolate in the nose.

Taste: Very mellow and gentle on the palate. Irish cream, dark semi-sweet chocolate and especially a unique gentle nuttiness about it. I like the nuts. Then it has a subtle hint of coffee in the after taste, but with no bitterness at all. PERFECT.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I expected but still a strong medium body, with nice carbonation and a very nice creamy smooth texture.

Drinkability: The drinkability is through the roof. WOW. This goes down so smoothly. It is relaxing (in taste and texture) if you can describe a beer as a relaxed this one is the epitome. It feels nice in the mouth, is easy to swallow and is great for a relaxing evening.

---
I had this beer on-tap and it is even more smooth and fantastic, but it is served WAY too cold. It needs to sit for quite a while to enjoy it the way I do. So it is almost more convenient to drink it in a bottle at home.
---

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-09-2005 06:51:02 | More by Phatz
SBarbeerian

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a wine glass (no pint glass available but this worked fine to let it breathe & release so me aroma)
App perfect for style: pitch black with tan head. Head bit thin.
Smell perfect for style: no hops, roasted grain with bit of coffee & creaminess.
Taste excellent for style: roasty, bit of coffee - very low hop bitterness.
Moothfeel: medium-full body, low carbonation & bit of residual sweetness. Right on for style.
Overall: very pleasant roasty & highly drinkable milk stout. Not the smoothest I've had for the style, but close. Great brew, very true to style.

07-21-2008 02:05:34 | More by SBarbeerian
jifigz

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A- The pour produced a nice brownish head that dissipated after a few seconds. The beer appears black in the glass.

S- The smell reminds me of how chocolate ice cream tastes. It smells sweet due to the lactose.

T- Absolutely fantastic. As soon as it hits my mouth I taste pretty much nothing, but then as it sits in there I get a delicious creamy and sweet taste. After the swallow my mouth is left with a very burnt and scorched character, almost smoky.

M- Very good amount of carbonation. Very nice.

O- This is a great milk stout. It is the only Lancaster product I have had, and due to the reviews of the other beers I am not dying to try them, but I have bought this one many times and will continue to do so. Very good amount of complex character and flavors.

03-26-2011 00:30:38 | More by jifigz
chodinheaven

Maryland

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn that's a dark beer. Black with a half inch khaki head. Leaves beautiful lacing. Smells amazing too, like dark roasted coffee or espresso in the morning. One of the best smelling beers I've put my nose to.

Coffee. First thing that comes to mind with the smell and the taste. The lactose is there too, especially felt in the creaminess of the mouthfeel. The taste of this beer actually mimics a good strong cup of coffee with the sweetness of a malty character in the background. The more I drink of it, the more the sweetness starts coming out, and you can tell some of it comes from the milk. Very delicious.

Creamy and smooth in the feel. Nothing extreme here, just perfect for the style. Carbonation is present enough to make an impact on the beer but not so much so that it takes away from it. Overall just and excellent stout.

04-01-2011 04:32:40 | More by chodinheaven
Mister_Falcon

4.59/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured an almost impenetrable dark brown-black with just some feint caramel translucency visible around the edges of the glass. Minimal head, just some brown wispy effervescence spinning around on the surface like clouds on a dark gaseous beer planet.

Smells slightly smoky and malty but not cheap. Smells like the ingredients will be quality.

It hits and bathes the tongue with an inky, syrupy-like embrace that turns sharp, with a just touch of bitterness and crispness that then reveals its well roasted and smoky character. Finishes up with a 'tonguefeel' like you just drank a glass of 2% milk.

Good stuff. Highly recommend this beer that is easy-drinking for how dark it is with a remarkably subtle, well-balance smokey, malty flavor and interesting multifaceted mouthfeel.

02-22-2013 01:54:43 | More by Mister_Falcon
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

4.54/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Lil bro bought a mixed 12-pack for me since he's at school in Pennsylvania. Pours a very dark brown/black color with a great head that goes down with not much retention. Smells roasty, lots of lactose, milk chocolate, those candy Whoppers, and breakfast blend/mild roast coffee. Taste follows the nose...some roastiness, milk chocolate, light coffee, lots of lactose lingering with a dry finish and a roastiness that lingers on the pallete. Perfect carbonation and body, slightly dry finish...perfect mouthfeel. HIGHLY HIGHLY drinkable. Great example of the style.

09-24-2010 02:40:23 | More by Doomcifer
Lupe

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep brown, almost black, with garnet hues that show when held up to the light. Creamy, cappuccino colored head has staying power and leaves behind nice lace. Aroma of "light and sweet" coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt greet the nose. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate smooth the way for a roasted-bitter and dry ending. Medium in body and velvety smooth. This goes down very easily and is overly rich. Delicious and highly enjoyable.

03-17-2004 03:02:27 | More by Lupe
ski271

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

Pitch black with a small, creamy, light brown head that sticks around for quite a long time, sticking to the glass in splotches as I slowly put this one down. Wonderful aroma! The roasted malts are some warm, full and inviting. Coffee and chocolate are most noticeable. The taste is fairly sweet, but not over the top like milk stouts can often be. More chocolate, coffee, light molasses, and a touch of vanilla. A nice mildly-nutty finish, very slight sourness and a silky-smooth mouthfeel keep me coming back for more. Wow this beer was good. I’ve had this beer many times out of the bottle, but this was my first trial of it on tap. Not sure if it’s just because of how my tastes have changed since the last time I had this or if it truly is considerably better on-tap. I remember the bottled version being pretty good, but this wowed me!

11-30-2006 16:09:53 | More by ski271
hungryghost

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this wonderful stout at the brewery, fresh. It is a dark, smooth, creamy dream. I love the roasted malt flavors, maybe a hint of chocolate and the soft, pleasant aftertaste.
To be savoured with or following a good meal.
PS> I have had the Milkstout in bottles as well. Not as perfect as on tap but tasty non the less.

08-14-2003 17:09:56 | More by hungryghost
Matthewislee

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

I haven't had too many stouts, but this one I truly enjoy. It's incredibly dark, which is obvious I think, but this is BLACK. Nice half inch of foam which vanished quickly leaving a good lacing. Has a pretty sweet smell at first which leaves way for a nice toasty one right after.

Great beer.

03-02-2008 03:21:26 | More by Matthewislee
wac9

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

wow finally found a six pack , what a wonderful taste smell, , it magic on the tongue what a joy , pour the beer it black , taste the beer not overpowering , just great milk stout with a nice aftertaste a winner a great friday night or any time beer i cant pinpoint diffrent smells or taste but i love every thing i do taste go enjoy the beer

12-11-2011 01:42:49 | More by wac9
BZero007

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

A very dark brew that looks great! Pretty good head that sticks around abit, has a great tan reddish brown color to it.

Smell is of a Roasted Malt Coffee with hints of chocolate in the background.

Taste of this beer is of a very Roasted Coffee Malted flavor with Chocolate coming threw stronger for a background taste. Its a very smooth beer with a medium body that goes down great. Not allot of carbonation but I felt it was balanced right for this particular beer. During the Winter this warmed me up great and was something that you could chill with threw the night.

This was my first Milk Stout and I would recommend it to anyone.

02-20-2009 21:23:57 | More by BZero007
ramrod666

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

this brew pours dark and black with a short cocoa head that stays with it through much of the glass. smell is of roasted coffee malt.
taste is heavy on the coffee tip with a nic e malty flavor solidly in the back. mouthfeel is great with a lighter than you would think feel. drinkability is endless. one of the finer stouts that i have had the pleasure of sampling.

06-28-2004 01:38:31 | More by ramrod666