Microbrew Invitational

Milk StoutMilk Stout

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Reviews: 469 | Ratings: 1,148
3.18/5  rDev -18%

Doesn't have the smooth mouth feel of most milk stouts. Perhaps it would be better on nitro? Roasted malts are a bit overwhelming in this one. Strange twang that I can't really put my finger on...

3.99/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a dark brown, almost black, color with a 3/4" fluffy dark tan head that soon recedes to a small ring, and island and layer of foam covering most of the liquid. Sipping creates patches, legs and arches of lacing. By the middle of the beer most of the foam is gone except for a small ring around the glass that still leaves small patches of lacing.

The aromas include chocolate, some dark roasted malt and hints of coffee.

Initially the flavors show a nice, almost burnt, roasted malt, some chocolate and some sweetness. However, as the beer warms the flavors become much more well integrated and any sense of possible char disappears.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly creamy with the moderate carbonation. The finish begins about midway through as the roasted malt recedes allowing the sweetness and chocolate to emerge. That all begins to fade leaving some sweetness to finish out until dryness takes over.

This is a nicely drinkable milk stout that I'll be happy to have again, especially when I'm in the mood for that touch dark roast concealed behind the sweetness. This is a beer that illustrates the importance of temperature in that intially there seemed to be some char in the finish which, as the beer warmed, disappeared from the flavors and finish. I also think that this beer would work well with a nice blue veined cheese like a Stilton or some Gorgonzola to smooth out the finish and eliminate that light char that hangs around just a bit too long when just having the beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.25] Blackish looking brew with red edges when held up to the light. Forms a fat 1 1/2 finger mud colored head. Overall it looks really nice in the glass. It has a date code for (10/15/15). But - no listing of the ABV.

S: [3.50] Smells like cocoa powder. Like a chalky dry cocoa aroma. This is backed by some smokiness and charred hardwood. Maybe some vanilla and marshmallow.

T: [3.75] Follows the nose with a better chocolate flavor. The chocolate is more milk chocolate and smooth. The charred wood is there. I think I also get a little bit of dark cherry underneath.

M: [3.50] A little sticky and slick. The best you can hope for at 5.3% ABV (I had to look it up). The charred wood gives a nice dried out finish.

O: [3.50] This is not something that separates from the pack. But for a every day milk stout this is really nice. I could sit and drink 3-4 of these after skiing, hiking or just watching football. It has a pretty nice aroma and flavor profile and the mouthfeel is decent for the low ABV.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Bought as a single bottle in a mix-a-six, and poured into a Kane Brewing tulip glass.

Look - Pours black with a thin head. Little to no lacing present.

Smell - Light notes of roasted malts, chocolate, and just a hint of coffee.

Taste - Almost exactly as it smells minus the coffee, but the roasted malts and slight chocolate definitely come through. A slight twang exists in the aftertaste that I can't really describe.

Mouthfeel - The feel was a bit on the lighter side for me. It wasn't creamy and thick like a milk stout (or any stout in general) should be.

Overall - Not a terrible stout, but definitely a one and done for me. The flavors were all there, but the mouthfeel is what ruined it for me as it just didn't feel like a stout. Regardless, I still had the whole thing as it wasn't repulsive. Cheers!

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Definitely get coffee and some chocolate, but it almost taste stale. Looked for a bottle date and didnt see one. A weird aftertaste also, im not aure about this. Wish i knew the date. 3/5.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look - black with dark tan, thin head. Smell - light aroma. Taste - hint of dark roasted coffee. Smooth start with a slight bitterness towards the end. Aftertaste lifts the bitterness. Feel - smooth, but not as creamy as I expected. Med. carbonation. Overall - my first milk stout was not as creamy as I expected. Not bad, but probably not my style.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is use motor oil black, very cool. The head is a very dark tan head. The aroma is full of malt and matches the appearance perfectly. The flavor is creamy roasted malt, a fantastic flavor. Overall, an outstanding beer.

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The beer pours a thick dark, comprable to the classic stout color, with a beautiful finger of dark amber head. I poured it into a Stella Chalice. The head dissipates to a lining after a couple minutes . I was expecting for a more violent head, so I poured the beer into a cold cup.

Smell: The smell is predominantly bread, I notice a hint of caramel, yeast, chocolate, and maybe a slight touch of burnt coffee. a little vanilla and chocolate hints as well. Yeast smell is present. The smell is nothing special, and after encountering certain sour's I consider this to be a good thing. (note: I'm about 1/4 the way through this cup and the ethyl acetate and ethanol smells are already becoming more prevalent.)

Taste: First sip I really notice the lactose, I consume a lot of dairy products when I'm not drinking beer so the taste is all too familiar. This taste is sweet and "creamy," (in the classical milk sugar manner) but doesn't make a significant impression over the crisp roasted malts. The stout taste is more prevalent and often I feel stouts need very POWERFUL flavors to be paired with, lactose is not one of them. There is a hint of dark chocolate and coffee, which are great flavors to be paired with. Halfway through the glass and the pallet hasn't changed too much. There is a little more ethyl acetate present. There is also a fruity backbone that I can't quite put my finger on, I believe it is prune or dark cherry.

Mouthfeel: Now this is where the lactose is really put into action. This beer is exceptionally creamy and thick in the mouth. I think the lactose really makes this beer more refreshing in terms of mouthfeel. It's quite hard to articulate. There isn't an exceptional amount of carbination.

Overall:
I have a hard time justifying spending 11$ on a 6 pack of this when I could get a 12 pack of the black and tan for the same price. It tastes good but doesn't make the significant impression required for this beer to make it into my "buy again" list. I enjoyed Stone's Coffee Milk Stout more, along side Southern Tier's Creme Brulee and Sam Smiths Chocolate Stout. If I want a darker craft beer for a similar price I would probably end up going for Breckenridge brewery's Vanilla Porter, Or Yard's Love Stout which recently started coming in bottle form.
I hope this review was helpful. I plan on using 8oz of this milk stout for BBQ sauce, if people are interested in a recipe message me!

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

09/15/15 notes. 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with one inch of dark tan head. Roasted malts, some cream and vanilla, dark bitter chocolate, chalk, and bready malts. Light to medium body, low carbonation.

Overall a pretty average milk stout. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Wouldn't seek it out again.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep dark and almost black. It has a nice tan head that has good retention and leaves small smudges of tight sticky lacing. The aroma is pretty mild, but still has a little bit of dark roasted malts and a hint of sweetness. The taste is much the same but a little more robust and adds a little earthy hops. The body is lighter as it should be, mostly smooth but with just a hint of carbonation.

4.94/5  rDev +27.3%

Lancaster Milk Stout ABV-5.3% IBU-25

Nose: from bottle it was milk, sweet, roasty, grains
From glass it was mostly grains, malt, roasty

Apperance: Oily black with a 1 inch. light brown head. The head disapates to a small ring and coating the top.
Moulth: Pretty much a typical stout moulth feel. Just the right amount of carbonation and thicker feel.
Taste: Sweet and creamy as a result of the lactose sugar. The fist tast that really hits you is the malts and then the aftertaste is of coffee and chocolate that sticks to your tongue nicely. The alcohol is nicely blended in with the other tastes. I am surprised that I like this one because I usually don't like milk stouts, or coffee stouts. I am so glad that I took a chance on this one. I almost don't think of this as a milk stout, but just a good sweeter dark beer. The cool thing is that this is a local beer brewed right here in my state of Pennsylvania. I am proud to raise my head up high because we have another great beer, go P.A.!!!!

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Pitch black pour with a tan head. Light coffee and chocolate aroma. Roasted malt flavor and sweet from the lactose. Creamy finish. Medium to full bodied but so easy to drink. A really enjoyable milk stout.

1.96/5  rDev -49.5%

Disappointing in terms of pure milk stout flavors. Came off as more of a dry stout to me. No sweetness that I could pick up on. Not a bad beer otherwise, but again, just not a real fan of the style that this beer tasted like, as opposed to what it was advertised to be.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark as night can't even see the light I'm holding it up to break through. Odd brown head that rests perfectly around the edge of my glass when settled.
Smell: Roasted nuts, slightly nutty.
Taste: Is almost milky, tastes similar to guinness in a way. That slight nutty flavor comes through clean
Feel: Light and creamy!

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

smell was good. lots of roast flavoring and some charredness. The afterteaste was very unsettleing. I was suprised how much bitterness came out of this stout and which caused a unpleasant taste. The feel was of a waterd down stout with a sweet creamer blended in with it. I am in disbelief of what I tasted from what I smelled and how nicely it poured. Many people seem to like this, so grab a 6 pack and try it for yourself.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, completely opaque, pitch-black color with an eighth of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into an extremely thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Very roasty up front, giving off notes of freshly baked dark bread, roasted coffee beans and burnt sugar. I get some notes of vanilla and caramel as well.

Taste: Very roast up front, imparting some smoke and roasted coffee flavors, including some coffee-like bitterness. I get some notes of toasted malt, imparting flavors of freshly baked dark bread, as well as some slight caramel-like sweetness but not enough to counterbalance the coffee-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly chewy and pretty smooth as there is very little carbonation. With an ABV of 5.3%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent milk stout, possessing good flavors of roasted malt and coffee, accented with some caramel-like sweetness. However, there’s a little too much coffee-like bitterness for my taste. Fans of that kind of bitterness should like it though.

3.37/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Completely black, with a dark tan 1/2" head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles coverng the surface; moderate legs
S - Some light coffee and roasting, and extremely feint maltiness, I was hoping for a bit more
T - Reminded me of burnt coffee (not in a good way); a surprising bitterness, which I didn't expect and did not care for, but not the good hop bitter
F - Very slightly watery with almost no carbonation; a bit of a dry aftertaste with a lingering bitterness
O - Poured into a stout glass, but I think I served it a bit too cold, so I let it sit a few minutes before continuing to drink and reevaluated; overall, a barely above average milk stout

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Overall: As close to dairy country stout as you can get. Just the right balance of roast coffee and milk. Would like to taste off LeftHand (slightly better, creamier, a fave), but this is a lovely session stout that's close in quality.

A: Jet black with a plentiful brown head that laces and lasts.

S: Dark chocolate, raw cocoa, roasted malt, dark fruit. On the coffee roaster side, like an Irish Bewleys' sweet ride.

T: Dark prune fruit and roasty grains first then malts and dark chocolate follow through to a long finish.

F: While a light body for a stout, doesnt bother me at all as it's dense with pleasant flavor and has decent mouth feel.

Must try.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a western Pennsylvania Wegmans on my trip last month.

Bottled 2/17/14, so pretty aged.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Black with the barest hints of clear copper when seen through light. Inch plus brown head receded to even surface foam and patchy lacing.

s; Dark chocolate and roasty malt.

t: Smoky malt and dark chocolate up front followed by a moderate hop bite. Bitter finish smooths out somewhat later.

m: Light to medium, fairly good body, much carbonation tingle.

o: A pretty good solid stout. Not getting much obvious sweet or smooth effect from any added lactose however, but the nine months on this might have something to do with that.

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

What a surprise! When you see the bottle (which looks different than what is shown here on BA.. there's a full cow on the recent bottle) you can't help put chuckle. Before pouring it out you can bet it's going to be a subpar beer. I mean look at that label and the price is low for a six pack.

Then all of a sudden you pour it out in a glass... and WOAH! I wasn't expecting an inky black beer with a nice head on it. Try shinning a light through the beer and you can very faintly see light on the other side. The beer smells of milk and a roasted coffee/chocolate mix. Upon your first sip you will get that roasted coffee taste, sugar, and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like what the smell is inviting you into. The flavor is not over powering, I'd say it is quite lite for a stout. The more you drink the beer the better it gets. The flavor does not leave your palate. You can take a sip and 5 minutes later you can still taste it. The more you drink it, the stronger it tastes if that makes any sense.

It is so drinkable I can guarantee you this: If you brought this to a party anyone that enjoys coffee would enjoy this beer. Men and women can enjoy this beer without being a diehard beer drinker. Some stouts are just so overpowering with their flavor you better have a thick beard, a captain's patch on your eye, or have a unicycle at the ready (it is marketed towards those groups of people. lol)

This is a quality beer that I could literally drink all the time. Definitely a sleeper pick! The thing that gets this beer such a high rating from me is the fact that it gets so many things right for such a low price. Such a bargain in my opinion.

The only negatives that prevent it from having a higher score is that it is a bit "watery" in its taste and it is a bit sweet. If you don't like a sweet tasting beer, you might want to stay away from this one. I don't mind the sweet taste but it could be dialed down just a smidgen.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Color-dark beer with some light shining through.
Smell-A dark smell. Notes of some berry fruits.
Taste-Dark Fruit- A antioxidant like berry taste with chocolate .
Mouthfeel-Not very heavy.
Overall-Not somthing I would Like to drink a lot of not an outstanding beer in my mind.

4.71/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A sweet smelling dark stout. The smooth creamy taste of a stout made with milk sugars! This is a good one! It pours dark with a brown creamy head. The smell is very sweet like chocolate milk. The taste is where it gets you! It is smooth and creamy, finishes sweet yet dry, and has the undertones of roasted coffee and chocolate. This beer is exceptional to me!

poured from a bottle into a snifter at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance (4.25): black with a thin light brown head

Smell (4): Sweet chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit. On the sweet side

Taste (4): Dark fruit and grains upfront then roasted malts and chocolate to finish it off throughout the aftertaste

Mouthfeel (3.75): Very light body for a stout, almost watery

Overall (4): I found the initial taste very uninspiring, but it faded into an enjoyable roasted malt character. The only thing I will complain about is the light body. I think it's solid as a regular or sweet stout, but lacks as a milk stout. It's tasty nonetheless

4.5/5  rDev +16%

if you are looking for a sweet (but not too sweet )Milk stout that still has that nice roasted malt finish , look no further this and left handed are at the top of the heap when it comes to a smooth drinking Milk Stout ...

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- pours a deep black color with a beautiful brown head that fades into a small ring of lacing that lasts the entire glass.
S- don't really smell anything. Literally nothing score is low but very mellow coffee aroma.
T- very melo taste for a stout which I enjoy very much. Slightly bitter and slightly creamy. Balance is amazing with this beer.
M- very smooth full bodied beer with wonderful lingering sweet coffe bean flavor.
O- very well brewed and highly recommended. In one word, melo.

Milk Stout from Lancaster Brewing Company