Milk Stout - Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milk Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 462 | Hads: 1,115
4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The beer pours a thick dark, comprable to the classic stout color, with a beautiful finger of dark amber head. I poured it into a Stella Chalice. The head dissipates to a lining after a couple minutes . I was expecting for a more violent head, so I poured the beer into a cold cup.

Smell: The smell is predominantly bread, I notice a hint of caramel, yeast, chocolate, and maybe a slight touch of burnt coffee. a little vanilla and chocolate hints as well. Yeast smell is present. The smell is nothing special, and after encountering certain sour's I consider this to be a good thing. (note: I'm about 1/4 the way through this cup and the ethyl acetate and ethanol smells are already becoming more prevalent.)

Taste: First sip I really notice the lactose, I consume a lot of dairy products when I'm not drinking beer so the taste is all too familiar. This taste is sweet and "creamy," (in the classical milk sugar manner) but doesn't make a significant impression over the crisp roasted malts. The stout taste is more prevalent and often I feel stouts need very POWERFUL flavors to be paired with, lactose is not one of them. There is a hint of dark chocolate and coffee, which are great flavors to be paired with. Halfway through the glass and the pallet hasn't changed too much. There is a little more ethyl acetate present. There is also a fruity backbone that I can't quite put my finger on, I believe it is prune or dark cherry.

Mouthfeel: Now this is where the lactose is really put into action. This beer is exceptionally creamy and thick in the mouth. I think the lactose really makes this beer more refreshing in terms of mouthfeel. It's quite hard to articulate. There isn't an exceptional amount of carbination.

I have a hard time justifying spending 11$ on a 6 pack of this when I could get a 12 pack of the black and tan for the same price. It tastes good but doesn't make the significant impression required for this beer to make it into my "buy again" list. I enjoyed Stone's Coffee Milk Stout more, along side Southern Tier's Creme Brulee and Sam Smiths Chocolate Stout. If I want a darker craft beer for a similar price I would probably end up going for Breckenridge brewery's Vanilla Porter, Or Yard's Love Stout which recently started coming in bottle form.
I hope this review was helpful. I plan on using 8oz of this milk stout for BBQ sauce, if people are interested in a recipe message me!

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

09/15/15 notes. 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with one inch of dark tan head. Roasted malts, some cream and vanilla, dark bitter chocolate, chalk, and bready malts. Light to medium body, low carbonation.

Overall a pretty average milk stout. Not bad but nothing to write home about. Wouldn't seek it out again.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep dark and almost black. It has a nice tan head that has good retention and leaves small smudges of tight sticky lacing. The aroma is pretty mild, but still has a little bit of dark roasted malts and a hint of sweetness. The taste is much the same but a little more robust and adds a little earthy hops. The body is lighter as it should be, mostly smooth but with just a hint of carbonation.

4.94/5  rDev +27.3%

Lancaster Milk Stout ABV-5.3% IBU-25

Nose: from bottle it was milk, sweet, roasty, grains
From glass it was mostly grains, malt, roasty

Apperance: Oily black with a 1 inch. light brown head. The head disapates to a small ring and coating the top.
Moulth: Pretty much a typical stout moulth feel. Just the right amount of carbonation and thicker feel.
Taste: Sweet and creamy as a result of the lactose sugar. The fist tast that really hits you is the malts and then the aftertaste is of coffee and chocolate that sticks to your tongue nicely. The alcohol is nicely blended in with the other tastes. I am surprised that I like this one because I usually don't like milk stouts, or coffee stouts. I am so glad that I took a chance on this one. I almost don't think of this as a milk stout, but just a good sweeter dark beer. The cool thing is that this is a local beer brewed right here in my state of Pennsylvania. I am proud to raise my head up high because we have another great beer, go P.A.!!!!

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Pitch black pour with a tan head. Light coffee and chocolate aroma. Roasted malt flavor and sweet from the lactose. Creamy finish. Medium to full bodied but so easy to drink. A really enjoyable milk stout.

1.96/5  rDev -49.5%

Disappointing in terms of pure milk stout flavors. Came off as more of a dry stout to me. No sweetness that I could pick up on. Not a bad beer otherwise, but again, just not a real fan of the style that this beer tasted like, as opposed to what it was advertised to be.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark as night can't even see the light I'm holding it up to break through. Odd brown head that rests perfectly around the edge of my glass when settled.
Smell: Roasted nuts, slightly nutty.
Taste: Is almost milky, tastes similar to guinness in a way. That slight nutty flavor comes through clean
Feel: Light and creamy!

2.98/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

smell was good. lots of roast flavoring and some charredness. The afterteaste was very unsettleing. I was suprised how much bitterness came out of this stout and which caused a unpleasant taste. The feel was of a waterd down stout with a sweet creamer blended in with it. I am in disbelief of what I tasted from what I smelled and how nicely it poured. Many people seem to like this, so grab a 6 pack and try it for yourself.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, completely opaque, pitch-black color with an eighth of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved away into an extremely thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Very roasty up front, giving off notes of freshly baked dark bread, roasted coffee beans and burnt sugar. I get some notes of vanilla and caramel as well.

Taste: Very roast up front, imparting some smoke and roasted coffee flavors, including some coffee-like bitterness. I get some notes of toasted malt, imparting flavors of freshly baked dark bread, as well as some slight caramel-like sweetness but not enough to counterbalance the coffee-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly chewy and pretty smooth as there is very little carbonation. With an ABV of 5.3%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is a decent milk stout, possessing good flavors of roasted malt and coffee, accented with some caramel-like sweetness. However, there’s a little too much coffee-like bitterness for my taste. Fans of that kind of bitterness should like it though.

3.37/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Completely black, with a dark tan 1/2" head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles coverng the surface; moderate legs
S - Some light coffee and roasting, and extremely feint maltiness, I was hoping for a bit more
T - Reminded me of burnt coffee (not in a good way); a surprising bitterness, which I didn't expect and did not care for, but not the good hop bitter
F - Very slightly watery with almost no carbonation; a bit of a dry aftertaste with a lingering bitterness
O - Poured into a stout glass, but I think I served it a bit too cold, so I let it sit a few minutes before continuing to drink and reevaluated; overall, a barely above average milk stout

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Overall: As close to dairy country stout as you can get. Just the right balance of roast coffee and milk. Would like to taste off LeftHand (slightly better, creamier, a fave), but this is a lovely session stout that's close in quality.

A: Jet black with a plentiful brown head that laces and lasts.

S: Dark chocolate, raw cocoa, roasted malt, dark fruit. On the coffee roaster side, like an Irish Bewleys' sweet ride.

T: Dark prune fruit and roasty grains first then malts and dark chocolate follow through to a long finish.

F: While a light body for a stout, doesnt bother me at all as it's dense with pleasant flavor and has decent mouth feel.

Must try.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a western Pennsylvania Wegmans on my trip last month.

Bottled 2/17/14, so pretty aged.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams nonick.

a: Black with the barest hints of clear copper when seen through light. Inch plus brown head receded to even surface foam and patchy lacing.

s; Dark chocolate and roasty malt.

t: Smoky malt and dark chocolate up front followed by a moderate hop bite. Bitter finish smooths out somewhat later.

m: Light to medium, fairly good body, much carbonation tingle.

o: A pretty good solid stout. Not getting much obvious sweet or smooth effect from any added lactose however, but the nine months on this might have something to do with that.

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

What a surprise! When you see the bottle (which looks different than what is shown here on BA.. there's a full cow on the recent bottle) you can't help put chuckle. Before pouring it out you can bet it's going to be a subpar beer. I mean look at that label and the price is low for a six pack.

Then all of a sudden you pour it out in a glass... and WOAH! I wasn't expecting an inky black beer with a nice head on it. Try shinning a light through the beer and you can very faintly see light on the other side. The beer smells of milk and a roasted coffee/chocolate mix. Upon your first sip you will get that roasted coffee taste, sugar, and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like what the smell is inviting you into. The flavor is not over powering, I'd say it is quite lite for a stout. The more you drink the beer the better it gets. The flavor does not leave your palate. You can take a sip and 5 minutes later you can still taste it. The more you drink it, the stronger it tastes if that makes any sense.

It is so drinkable I can guarantee you this: If you brought this to a party anyone that enjoys coffee would enjoy this beer. Men and women can enjoy this beer without being a diehard beer drinker. Some stouts are just so overpowering with their flavor you better have a thick beard, a captain's patch on your eye, or have a unicycle at the ready (it is marketed towards those groups of people. lol)

This is a quality beer that I could literally drink all the time. Definitely a sleeper pick! The thing that gets this beer such a high rating from me is the fact that it gets so many things right for such a low price. Such a bargain in my opinion.

The only negatives that prevent it from having a higher score is that it is a bit "watery" in its taste and it is a bit sweet. If you don't like a sweet tasting beer, you might want to stay away from this one. I don't mind the sweet taste but it could be dialed down just a smidgen.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Color-dark beer with some light shining through.
Smell-A dark smell. Notes of some berry fruits.
Taste-Dark Fruit- A antioxidant like berry taste with chocolate .
Mouthfeel-Not very heavy.
Overall-Not somthing I would Like to drink a lot of not an outstanding beer in my mind.

4.71/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A sweet smelling dark stout. The smooth creamy taste of a stout made with milk sugars! This is a good one! It pours dark with a brown creamy head. The smell is very sweet like chocolate milk. The taste is where it gets you! It is smooth and creamy, finishes sweet yet dry, and has the undertones of roasted coffee and chocolate. This beer is exceptional to me!

poured from a bottle into a snifter at around 45 degrees Fahrenheit

Appearance (4.25): black with a thin light brown head

Smell (4): Sweet chocolate, roasted malt, dark fruit. On the sweet side

Taste (4): Dark fruit and grains upfront then roasted malts and chocolate to finish it off throughout the aftertaste

Mouthfeel (3.75): Very light body for a stout, almost watery

Overall (4): I found the initial taste very uninspiring, but it faded into an enjoyable roasted malt character. The only thing I will complain about is the light body. I think it's solid as a regular or sweet stout, but lacks as a milk stout. It's tasty nonetheless

4.5/5  rDev +16%

if you are looking for a sweet (but not too sweet )Milk stout that still has that nice roasted malt finish , look no further this and left handed are at the top of the heap when it comes to a smooth drinking Milk Stout ...

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A- pours a deep black color with a beautiful brown head that fades into a small ring of lacing that lasts the entire glass.
S- don't really smell anything. Literally nothing score is low but very mellow coffee aroma.
T- very melo taste for a stout which I enjoy very much. Slightly bitter and slightly creamy. Balance is amazing with this beer.
M- very smooth full bodied beer with wonderful lingering sweet coffe bean flavor.
O- very well brewed and highly recommended. In one word, melo.

4.06/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has a dark black look with a a one inch thick off white head. The head holds on well and makes some nice lacing.

Smell: The aroma has nice toasted/roasted maltiness and mild sweetness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor is nicely balanced with mellow toasded and roasted maltiness. It has a nice molasses like sweetness and equally balanced bitterness. It’s palate is a light medium and very drinkable.

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, bottled 1/28/2014. Poured into an unlabeled snifter 5/13/2014.

A- Dark brown body, opaque, slightly oily looking. One finger tan head, very minimal retention, no lacing.

S- Surprisingly, this smells black coffee-forward with a nice roasty chocolate malt profile. I am not smelling a ton of lactose, although it does come out a little more as it warms up. Not complicated at all, but certainly different.

F- Roast malt, bittersweet dark chocolate, bitter black coffee, some milk chocolate but no clear lactose presence. Very interesting and surprising for a beer billed as a "milk stout", but I am actually enjoying this. Still, I have to grade it to the style and I think this is fairly average in terms of what it offers.

M- Thinner bodied, not surprisingly so for a 5.3% milk stout. Smooth but a bit watery and a little undercarbonated. Quite a lot of coffee bitterness.

O- For a milk/sweet stout, this is not quite right due to the relative bitterness and lack of lactose. If I take the gestalt, it's actually an enjoyable stout. It must be the fact that this is English style and presumably relying more on the malts rather than the lactose to provide sweetness, but this has a lot more bitterness than I expected.

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

Enjoyed this beer poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black, with a quickly-diminishing, light brown or dark cream colored head.

Aroma is dark and robust with semi-dry chocolate and a faint hint of blueberry.

The taste is not what I look for in a milk stout. This is a delicious stout, but as far as milk stouts go, not so much. Dry and roasted qualities with some burnt toast. The beer comes off tasting a little watery at the finish (somewhat like a Guinness) - having that mineral quench-your-thirst water finish - which does contradict the dry flavors.

Mouthfeel is pleasantly full but not heavy or thick - achieved by the carbonation. Some creaminess as well.

Overall, if this were labeled as simply "stout", I would say this beer is fantastic for the style. However, as a "milk stout" I think it is lacking. The best milk stout I've ever had is Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout from the nitro bottle and that is really something special. This falls well short of that. I can't say it's a bad beer, on the contrary, I rather enjoy it's company. But if I'm ever in the mood for a milk stout, this will not be my first, second, or third pick.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Nice and dark. A tinge or red on the edges, but otherwise very dark. Tan head, doesn't stick around very long.

Smell: Sweet cream, vanilla, chocolate

Taste: Sweet, creamy, vanilla, chocolate, coffee finish. Not very bitter.

Feel: Not as thick as I'd like, but good. I'd prefer it to be a bit creamier feeling.

Overall: This is my goto, year round, readily available stout. Being near Lancaster, it's a bonus, as I can find this beer EVERYWHERE!

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Having this side-by-side with Terrapin's Moo-Hoo, this one pales in comparison. This is still a solid choice, but the flavor is more simple and the feel is more thin than I'd like in a milk stout. It makes it more of a stout you'd sip on on a hot summer day, but it's more simple. Solid chocolate flavor with a good roastiness... it does about everything you'd want in a milk stout to a tee, but it's a bit thin, and I just didn't enjoy the flavor quite as much as Moo-Hoo. This would be an easy one to enjoy in any situation. Quite light and tasty, just nothing extraordinary.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bottle into Samuel Smith's pint glass

A: Pours opaque black with a 1-2 finger creamy off-white head that quickly dissipates to a wisp of a cap. Not much if any lacing,

S: Roasty notes mixed with chocolate and caramel

T: Similar to smell, roasted barley with hints of chocolate and caramel

M: Just a tiny bit on the thin side for a stout, but adequate.

O: An enjoyable stout, good but not the best I've had. I wouldn't turn one down.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass

A: Rich deep cola black, gleaming with a bit of ruby. One and a half finger head that is quite transient. Moderate level of lacing in the creamy/tan colored head, jet and opaque, Medium looking viscosity

S: Light roasted smell with a coco chocolate blend. There is a cola undertone with perhaps an anise note or two. The aroma of bitter coffee wanders in the background. The dominant nose is burnt sugars and dark chocolate roast, sweet and mellow.

T: Milky sweetness with a subdued tartness. Cannot tease out any hop character. The sweetness comes in several stages, but seems a little diluted. Roasted malt, sugar, cola, and dark chocolate/coffee each reveal themselves, but not in a pungent fashion. Although no particular flavor is super strong or easily discerned, they combine for a layered experience.

M: Very light carbonation, and smooth. Medium-Light bodied, with little aftertaste. Creamy, but not frothy, subsides quickly. Goes down quickly.

O: Clearly a milk stout, and definitely sweet. I feel this has high drinkability for a beer of its style. Substantially the best offering I’ve had by Lancaster Brewery. I wish the body was a little more viscous and some of its flavors more pronounced, though the combination is quite nice. Living in Philly, love paying some respect to the area.

On a side note, I love the label artwork. (Different from the one pictured in the top left).

Milk Stout from Lancaster Brewing Company