Milk Stout - Lancaster Brewing Company

Milk StoutMilk Stout

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.30% ABV

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milk Stout Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance:

Nearly black, but lets just a hint of light through to reveal a touch of red. Large tan head that settles slowly.

Smell:

Roasted coffee with hints of chocolate.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth, but very thin on the tongue. Overly sweet, lacking the complexity of other milks I've had. Good, but underwhelming.

cbl2, Jun 04, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours a dark black color with a thin off-white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a sweet dark malt smell with a creamy, yet dry aroma. The lactose added lends an extra amount of sweetness. The taste is good. It has a dark feel to it with a sweet finish. It boasts of black patent malts and a creamy lactose content. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a full bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a fine stout. It has a niche here which adds to the attractiveness. This is a good drinker.

WesWes, May 24, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Lancaster Milk Stout (LMS) has a nice rich mahagony color as the beer hits the glass. Pour it hard, though, or very little head develops - I'd prefer more from a stout. Nice malted-milk bouquet.

I don't recommend you drink this from the bottle, you need to get your nose in the glass for the tastes to develop. Serve it cool; serving it too cold deadens the impact, a problem I've had when this is offered in pubs.

Very reminiscent of a chocolate stout, chocolate accents are prominent on the uptake, with silky milk feel and tones and in the aftertaste. Malty, but not syrupy. I don't get much hops hit, but nor do I expect it from this type of stout.

I've only had it on tap once -- on a trip to Lancaster PA -- but the aeration from the tap brought out the nuances better than the bottle does.

This is *the* stout that counters my opinion that Americans cannot brew stout (or dark beers in general). Most American stouts taste burned to me and are very unpleasant. LMS has a hint of over-roastedness, but it does not dominate.

Though it does not replace any of the Irish stouts that I prefer, LMS is tasty with an excellent creamy mouthfeel and is less bloating than most chocolate stouts. I recommend it highly.

jazzyjake, Apr 16, 2004
3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Lancaster Milk Stout

Appearance- dark. black with a thin tan head that held up nicely.
Smell- a creamy coffee and ash aroma.
Taste- watery coffee meets hot chocolate. A bit of ashiness but smooth and enjoyable.
Mouthfell- no bitterness but there is a slight dryness in the aftertaste. goes down well.

Overall- a decent stout that makes a nice sipping beer. Don't expect to be blown away but not bad.

NJpadreFan, Apr 14, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

This is my first try at a milk stout, but it isn't what I expect from a stout at all. The color is a blackish stout color with a small tan head that dissapates quickly. There is almost no lacing to speak of. I don't get much smell from it other than the usual roasted malt aroma. The taste is malty with a somewhat sickly, sweetness on the back end. This is very thin, almost watery in the mouth. I tried a second to be fair to the beer, but this would never be a favorite of mine.

rdrummer, Apr 06, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

I sampled this one over the weekend. Pours a nice dark color with a creamy white head. The smell is sweet, a milky scent can be detected. The taste is sweet and creamy, this is definitely a milk stout. This is a really nice change of pace in the stout category, very little bitterness, and a nice smooth mouthfeel makes this one really enjoyable. This is a very drinkable stout, the alcohol is not too high, and the flavor is pleasant and easy to drink. Overall, a nice stout that provides an excellent change of pace from all of the big overpoweringly flavorful stouts that I am used to.

bigjohn, Apr 06, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours deep brown, almost black, with garnet hues that show when held up to the light. Creamy, cappuccino colored head has staying power and leaves behind nice lace. Aroma of "light and sweet" coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt greet the nose. Flavors of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate smooth the way for a roasted-bitter and dry ending. Medium in body and velvety smooth. This goes down very easily and is overly rich. Delicious and highly enjoyable.

Lupe, Mar 17, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours black with red highlights as a small ecru head with minor lace froms on the glass.
Aroma is chocolate, coffee, oats and some brown sugar.
Flavors of coffee, roasted malt, oats and some residual resiny, earthy bitterness.
Mouthfeel is rich malt upfront with a slightly spicy roasty and a dry dry bitter finish. Tranisitions are a little clumsy but decent overall.
Drinkability was very high. Nice stout, thanks to my buddy beerluvr for this great sample.

CRJMellor, Mar 16, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

A finely delineated portrait of a cow glares at us from the label, perhaps watchful of how we utililize the fruits of her, um, labor. Worry not, Madam bovine, I drink thy goodness with all respect and suchforth, etcetera...
Dark brown, nearly black, with reddish tinges around the sides, and decorated by a full, blooming, thick, though assuredly diminishing tan head, leaving loads of clinging lace. Aroma: soft, smooth and creamy, light suggestions of toffee, caramel and nuts.
Taste: some fierce, though brief, bitterness up front, soon to fade. Malt is big and in command, but the lactose involved is not in the least bit shy, for it thoroughly controls the flavor all the way out. Slightly tart and acidic, but that creamy feel is on top, with a certain hoppy, fruity zing also attached.
Body is medium, finish is not as full as I prefer, but probably just right for the style (I imagine them shooting this toward folks who don't mind a dark beer, but despise "bitterness" and "aftertaste").
Pretty yummy, actually, a very nice rendition of the style.
Thanks to Sir Pissky of the Nights of the Good Beer Table for this one!

feloniousmonk, Mar 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: black in color with a 2 inch tan head. Plenty of lacing through the drink.

Smell:aroma is of roasted malt with hints of chocolate.

Taste: the flavor followed the aroma as roasted malt was balanced with light burnt chocolate tones. The was a bit of bitterness that actually rounded this out well.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy but somewhat thin. The roasted malt lasts lightly on the tongue during the aftertaste.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable as the flavors are nice even though the mouthfeel is thin.

Gavage, Mar 04, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Fluffy tan head, nearly black body. Roasty and burnt nose, like burnt toffee. Nutty and burnt tasting, with additional notes of cocoa nibs and coffee. Good creamy carbonation and slightly acidic finish. Nice brew.

It's nice to know that this brand is the newest into NJ and that it's here for the long haul. Good Milk Stout, and good Pale.

yen157, Mar 02, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I like stouts, so it's no wonder I found this beer from Lancaster Brewing Co. my favorite.

Appearance - Dark, dark, dark, like a stout ought to be. When you hold it up to the light you could not see through this brew. It had a slight milky head that dissapated slowly.

Aroma - A large roasted malt aroma that overwhelms the senses.

Taste - Very smooth with toasted malt flavors. A little sweet, most likely from the lactose they use in the brewing process. The roasted malt is very evident in the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel - excellant carbonation for a stout. The smoothness of this beer feels like velvet as it crosses your palate, but the taste quickly lets you know you are drinking a heavy hitting stout.

Drinkability - Again, I like stouts so I feel this is a very drinkable beer. It's not a beer you could drink all afternoon, it's too heavy. You can definitley drink two to three at a seating.

trekbiker3000, Mar 01, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +7%

Thick brownish tan head in the glass, very long-lasting! Very dark brown-reddish liquid. Nose is chocolatey, coffeeish, nutty, and slightly leathery, all in front of sweet smelling maltiness. Tasting reveals rich malty mouthfeel with notes of milk chocolate, weak coffee and a little smokiness. Finishes roasty/dry with some hoppiness and slight tanginess...delicious!

beerluvr, Feb 22, 2004
3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

This brew pours very dark, almost black. An aggressive pour generated a frothy tan head that faded back to swirling weather pattern masking the beer. It had a very light bouquet and smelled a bit bland. Taste of roasted malt and coffee were consisitant through out. The after taste was bitter & dry and lingered for quite awhile. I expected a milk stout to be creamy but this one was a little thin. Not the best I've had of this type of stout.

BCMan, Feb 20, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Not having had this beer in awhile I expected to be disappointed. The brewery has had some problems, I was told

It didn't effect the beer if true. The taste was smooth and creamy. I drank right from the bottle. This beer quenched my thirst for a stout and left plenty of room for more. Too many stouts leave me full and not wanting to drink much more. This creamy taste, and coffee flavored brew was a delight to my senses. I will further taste this delightful brew in a glass and on tap. Wish me happy hunting.

Beerparrot, Jan 07, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I pour this chilled into my matching pint glass. A beige frothy head foams up after a little effort (hard pour). This fades to a thin layer around the rim of the glass rather quickly. The brew is very dark brown almost black. Very little light makes it through my glass.
Aroma is roasted malt, some mild coffee aromas too. Medium carbonation and slightly thicker than medium body. Even a slightly creamy mouthfeel.
The flavor is bittersweet up front and moves to a clean coffee flavor on the finish.
This is a very smooth brew and I will be buying more of it next time I am in PA.

sulldaddy, Jan 07, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -9%

Poured black with a tint of ruby red at the edges. Seemed thin on the pour and left a very small tan head. Aroma is a smoky roasted malt with coffee notes. Medium bodied and smooth with a crisp mouthfeel. Flavor is of roasted malt and slightly sweet with a dry finish. Nothing outstanding and could use more flavor in my opinion. Not bad though overall.

BierReise, Dec 22, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Dark ruby appearance. Small creamy brown head. Retention is minimal and lacing is negligent. Aroma is quite nice. Espresso, cocoa, milk sugar, vanilla bean... Good stuff. The flavors follow suit nicely. Good bittersweet chocolate thing going on. Coffee bean. Lactic sugars. Dry cocoa. This is tasty stuff. And the mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body a little better than medium. If this were available around here, I've got a feeling I'd be drinking it regularly.

Bighuge, Dec 14, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer is a magic carpet ride. Either due to my perfect pour or solid brewing, my pint looks fantastic. Nice 1/2 inch of foam on a very mucky black. Hints of espresso, toasted malt and nut in the nose. The first sip yields that a strong espresso taste with lingering hints of cream. On my second swig, I know why this is a milk stout. Milk coats the back of my mouth. I’m quite impressed by the balance of beer. This is my first of the sub style and I was a little hesitant. As I continue drinking, I notice the great lacing that surrounds my glass. Well done. The beer has a slight sweet taste, reminding me of the cream ale I had last night, but this sweetness comes from a very subdued chocolate infusion. The nutty flavor may be hazelnuts. Two word’s well balanced. Next time I’m in Philly I’ll be looking for this.

Starchild, Nov 30, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a pitch black with a light almond colored head that dissapates pretty quick,aroma is of french roast coffee deeply roasted.Taste is incredably coffeeish with a slight malted milk taste I like the intermingling flavors of coffee and lactose very tasty beer I will get again if given the chance.

oberon, Nov 03, 2003
3.88/5  rDev 0%

To be upfront, I'm not a huge fan of stouts due to the typical stout aftertast. Given that preface, I must say I liked this stout a lot. It was quite good and that creamy taste helped balance out the stout taste I'm not a huge fan of.

The head quickly dissipated on this beer. This happened to a friend who had this beer a day earlier, so it is definitely due to the beer. With a dark beer, what else do you have to go by? Umm, it's dark. So I base appearance by how long the head lasts.

Since I'm not a stout fan, a 4 for mouthfeel and 3.5 drinkability is really high.

GeoffFromSJ, Nov 02, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Package: 12oz. crowned brown longneck bottle. No specific bottling/consume-by date or ABV noted. Notations: “not pasteurized,” “brewed with lactose,” and “brewed naturally with no preservatives.” Straightforward label with cow’s head and large “Milk Stout” name.

Cost: freebie

Presentation: Shaker pint at ~45º

Appearance: Extreme brown opacity, with the slightest glow at the bottom of the glass when held to the light. Generated a strong, dense, three-fingered, malted-milk colored head, that slowly resolved to about one finger in depth which renewed itself. Archetypical stout.

Smell: Very roasty, with a deep char smell, bitter chocolate, and Kenya-like acidic coffee. Perhaps a bit sharper in the nose than I expected. Promises a great deal of flavor.

Taste: Somewhat disappointing after the big, full aroma. Strong, sharp, burnt coffee and chocolate flavors overwhelm any nuances I was hoping to find. As I digested the first sips, I began to detect the underlying sweetness from the lactose and roasted malts. Two-dimensionable. Somewhat sour note from the lactose is more reminiscent of the Ohio-brewed Mackesons than the super-smooth “original.” Lacked the deep fruitiness of the best milk stouts.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin considering the depth of its opacity and the strength of the aroma. More highly carbonated on the tongue than I expected. Does not possess the silky mouthfeel or heavy body I expect in a milk/cream/sweet stout. Still, it does deliver a nice, flavorful finish.

Drinkability: A nicely drinkable stout. Delivers substantial amount of flavor in a remarkably “light-bodied” stout.

Backwash: A good rendition of this all-too-rare style. I don’t have a lot to which I can compare this, but it isn’t up to the benchmark imported Mackeson’s, an old favorite. Sadly, there aren’t enough genuine milk stouts around anymore, so it is wonderful to have the opportunity to try this. With a bit more body, a smoother sweetness, and finer carbonation Lancaster would have a star offering. As it is, it is a good, but not great, stout.

Dantes, Sep 30, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

The Milk Stout poured a dark, impenetrable black color with a light tan, creamy head. The head shrunk fairly quickly, and not a lot of carbonation was visible. The luxurious darkness of this beer made the appearance very pleasant. Heavy malt tones dominated the smell, with lots of roasted and chocolate malt characteristics. The taste had an interesting sweetness and a smooth, creamy texture, probably due to the lactose. A nice mild coffee aftertaste, with a smoked features lingered for a while. Mouthfeel was very soft, and a bit thin but did not detract from the overall quality. A somewhat mellow stout, the creamy taste and feel make this a good brew and a nice step down from the more aggressive stouts.

SchmichaelJ, Sep 28, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

One of the nicer milk stouts I had tasted. Not to sweet or lacking in character, as some are. Poured a deep brown, but did not seem to have any carbonation, hence there was really no head on it. I thought it might have gone flat, but upon tasting it I knew it had not. Sweet chocolate malt and brown sugar in the nose.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and smooth, and nicely creamy. Flavors of mildly bittersweet chocolate come through. The chocolate flavors are not as dark or bitter as they are in heartier stouts, such as Oatmeals or Imperials. Could use more hops...but then again, that's always my complaint. A very nicely done milk stout, one that seems very true to the style.

IrishRedRock, Sep 14, 2003
3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

The bottle states, "Stout Brewed with Lactose."

Appearance: Luckily I was paying attention when I poured this beer because it exploded in a fountain of foam. Once the brew hit the side of the pint glass, it just took off. With just a mere ounce (or so) of liquid, my glass was filled with foam, top to bottom.

After many small pourings, this beer turned out to be jet black, with just a hint of ruby around the edges when the light hit the glass just right. The head, now in its condensed form, was tan, coarse, and fluffy. A fairly thick cap remained over the brew for the whole drink, but it left no lace on the side of the glass.

Smell: There were strong aromas of dark roasted malts, smoke, and burnt cupcakes. (I know that's wierd, but that's what it smelled like.) There were also more subtle aromas of cream and milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth upfront, but more lively in the back of the mouth. I wish it would have had a little more body to it.

Taste: Initially, there was a hint of sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Then, almost immediately, a deep roasted malt and smoke flavor arose and powered through the sweetness. These two flavors lingered into the finish, where they were joined by a creamy sweetness and coffee.

I didn't hold the geyser o' foam against this beer. That stuff just happens sometimes. Overall, this was a good brew. My two complaints would be that the smoke flavor was too strong and there was no bitterness to speak of. Just a little hops presence on the finish would have done wonders for this beer. Still, not too shabby.

Thanks Jarod!