Shoo-Fly Pie Porter - Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

English Porter |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Made with eight different malts, four types of hops and a touch of Lancaster County molasses, this tasty brew has a rich brown hue with a medium to full body flavor.

(Beer added by: hopdog on 02-01-2009)
2.16/5  rDev -42.1%

2.5/5  rDev -33%

2.5/5  rDev -33%

Not bad, I prefer a thicker more robust porter but this was decent non the less.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Served on tap at the Harrisburg location into my giant mug of doom and destruction.

A- Pours a very dark brown, nearly black. Light cream colored head that fades nearly instantly.

S- Hardly any aroma, but I get a little molasses. Typical LBC with the weak scent.

T- Very creamy with a bite of molasses at the end. Its...interesting. I guess thats a good word for it

M- Kind of thick, and not in a good way. The molasses really isn't a good thing at the end.

D- Not much of a porter of molasses fan, but I wasn't too impressed overall with this. Felt a little bland. Hopefully this falls off tap soon and the pub gets something a little better up.

3.28/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

During a recent visit to LBC harrisburg, I couldnt resist ordering this. I am surprised I dont already have a review for this because I vividly recall this beers release in 2009 and my drive with friends to the Lancaster location to try it.

Served in a pint, the brew appears a dark amber to mahogany color. It is quite clear and lighter in color than expected for a porter. A finger of yellowish stained tan cap sits atop. Pretty solid retention that leaves a wall of lacing effect on the glass.

The aroma consists of caramel to toasty toffee sweetness. Some mineral aspect with mild fruit and citrus hops are an afterthought. At times, the darker faint sweetness suggests molasses but never quite gets there.

The taste is quite mineral filled with fruity to floral notes from a mild hop inclusion. Mild toasty grain somewhat like toffee is evident. The aftertaste is very weak with the faintest hint if molasses and chocolate grain. This brew is somewhat nutty actually more than anything.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is crisp almost like a baltic porter but lacking a bit across the board. I didnt care for the mineral quality at all that seemed to dominate the brew. Overall a good idea but it just didnt pan out the way it could if the recipe was revisited.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours out as a transparent dark brown color, with almost no head at all on it. This has a surprising appearance for a porter, the color to me should have been much darker. The smell of dark roasted malts and just a little bit of molasses on the nose. The taste is pretty weak, I really hoped for this beer to be much more flavorful but to me it seemed as though they were forgetting something. The mouthfeel was watery and kind of boring. Not really sure about this one.

3.36/5  rDev -9.9%

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.43/5  rDev -8%

On tap at Capones. Poured a dark brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of chocloate, lighter roastiness, and caramel. Tastes of chocolate, molasses, roast, and caramel. Some lacing left on the glass. I love Shoo-fly pie, but just didn't see it in this one.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

a: This was a very dark, slightly murky, brown. It was served to me with a perfect one inch with froth. Beautiful.

s: I couldn't find much here. Mild toasty malts and doughy bread, no molasses.

t: This was a pretty good porter, but the molasses was very mild to me. The porter aspects were strong, roasty, doughy malts. I think the molasses tasted like caramel to me. Very good overall, but I wanted more molasses.

m: Luscious, creamy cask, yum!

d: I liked this more than the score would indicate, I was just hoping something more diferent I suppose. If you have the chance, definitely try this one.

Shoo-Fly Pie Porter from Lancaster Brewing Company