Amish Four Grain Pale Ale - Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: Jarod on 12-05-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amish Four Grain Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.3/5  rDev -64.1%

bottle by way of machfive55...

pours a surprisingly hazy brown color capped by a small whitish head. strange aroma... sour apples, tart cherries, aluminum sheeting, minerals, caramel malt and rotten sour grain... strange and definitely off.

apparently not off putting enough for me to try to drink... the flavor is very sour... it reminds me of really tart granny smith apples but without any of the natural sugar. there's also notes of a cinnamon-y spiciness, minerals and lots of bad yeasty action. the body is medium but the acidity and sharp carbonation make it quite harsh on the palate.

interesting... i wanted to keep trying it as a sour beer since at that point it was no longer a pale but it started to make my tummy ache. down the drain... needs a rerate... 2/4/2/1/2/1.1 (786 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -47%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

treat via woodychandler. previously enjoyed the straw-wheat, milk stout and hop hog. let's round it out with a winner!

murky orange with red highlights, not much head to speak of. sits statuesque in an allagash tulip. smells pumpkiny, stringy vegetal fruits mixed with rotten silo-aged grains. something is very sour, very off here. aroma like wet cereal brings out the worst of locals like mcneills and rock art. microbrew at its aromatic peak of sloppiness.

and it tastes pretty awful too, but not as bad as it smells. aroma permeates flavor, obviously.. initially, i am presented with a sour maltiness that fails to distinguish itself with any other flavors than banana peels and earwax. some notes of penicillin and some nutty spiced bread in the finish. something here indicates that this is a microbrew.. inconsistency of bizarre flavor, perhaps.. and i am completely unimpressed.

barely drinkable, glad i don't have a second bottle that will be wasted on my delicate palate. lancaster makes some quality brews but this is the runt of the litter, for sure. avoid at all costs BUT make sure to seek out their other offerings. you will not be disappointed. (1,169 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -40.1%

Copper colored with a decent light tan head, very active carbonation -- a bit too much -- possibly aged (?). Oxidation characteristics noticed in aroma and flavor to the point of masking the true beer. :-( Medium-light bodied ... A bit too airy due to carbonation.

Find a fresh version and re-review; I remember this one being fairly nice @ a few ODBC festivals...

Per LBC website: OG 13.8. 28 IBU's.
Malts: 2-row Barley, Rye, Oats, Wheat, and Caramel 40.
Hops: Willamette, Fuggles, and Saaz.

'5362' lasered on bottom
Tasted: 07/08/06

($1.49 / 12 oz.) (566 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -37%

I sure love me an american pale ale but wow.... the rye totally killed this one. It was completely overpowering and terribly sour. It could very well be that i havent had many beers with rye and this may need to be an aquired taste. So if you enjoy rye in your beer, dive in. First timers like myself, beware. (309 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Served in a nonic at fridge temperature. No freshness date.

Appearance- A beautiful fiery translucent amber, adorned by a supple two finger crown with a soapy presence. Moderate lacing follows, a thin mat is left atop. Looks good.

Smell- Bright lemon and sour grains right off the bat, almost making the nose pucker. Smells like something may have gone wrong...

Taste- Aagh!! What the hell? An ungodly display at the sides of the tongue, with a sour milk, rancid malt aftertaste. Overwhelming use of rye, to the point where it is all you get. Hops are trying to come forward, but the tongue-curdling mess this beer is dominates. I don't know... maybe this is a bad bottle, but this is awful.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Alright in the mouth, small bubbles, rolling consistency. But the taste... ughh...

I will update this post after another go at this... so far every bottle from this present sixer has tasted worse than the one before... until then.... be careful!!! (979 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -31.8%

Last review of the Lancaster mixed 12 pack. Pours a reddish brown, smallish white head to it. Not much of a nose to this one. Taste is light to medium bodied... awkward mouthfeel. Tastes a bit soapy and has sort of an acidic taste to it. Not very appealing, and this is the 3rd time I'm trying this beer from the mixed pack. Drinkable and not terribly bad, but off-putting for sure and certainly not a good, well balanced beer. Maybe I got a bad batch? Not recommended. (469 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Copper color, faint white head faded fast. No lacing.

Smell: Tart banana, smells like a beginners home brew.

Taste: Tastes like a beer. Nothing remarkable. Slight bite on the finish, more carbonic than bitter from hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin bodied, too much carbonation for the style. The level of carbonation should contribute to better head retention but it didn't.

Overall: Blah. Not bad, but not remarkable. It seemed like the fermentation temperature wasn't controlled. If someone poured this for me and I didn't know better, I'd think it was a mediocre home brew. (627 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%

Very deep brown color and slightly cloudy, with a light brown/off white 1-finger head, that doesn't hold for very long before diminishing into a light film on top. Just a bit of lacing going on. Barely smells like anything, but after trying real hard, was able to pick up the slight hint of piney hops dominated by the malt. Sadly, the taste of hops does not show and all I really get is some of the malt, slight caramel notes and some sweetness. It's pleasant, just not expected for the style, in my opinion. It's medium bodied and definitely drinkable, but seems to me almost like a "light" porter rather than a pale ale. I like the beer, I just don't it as a pale ale. (671 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a clear lighter brown amber. Flavor seems off. Way too tangy and almost a plastic type of edge on it? Regardless, it just tastes weird. Overly malty with caramel edges. At this point, who cares about the rest. Just not going to finish it and save the ol' liver for the next beer that hopefully will be a pleasure to drink.

P.S. Should a beer with the word "Amish" in it ever be named as such?? (400 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Translucent brown. Head is thin and white. No lacing.

S: Sweet and tangy, fresh citrus.

T: It lives up to its name-- lots of hearty grain. A little bit of hops, but not very much.

M: Light, doesn't stick.

D: Very plain, I wouldn't have another. (251 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

This beer marks a watershed moment in beer drinking for me. Rarely do I give a beer a "do-over" if it is thoroughly unimpressive. Through a series of circumstances I ended up trying this again and it was a pleasant enough surprise that I made a phone call to share my findings and encourage some others to give it a second shot as well. It was still not spectacular, but not awful.

Dark amber to brown in color. Some lacing on the surface with some prickle and some bubbles on the rim. Sour grain on the nose, but muted to a point. I have had this before, so the expectation plays a part up to this point.

Fruity strawberry-like presence upon initial attack. Grainy flavor with little hops and a background taste like pencil lead or pencil shavings. The finish is sweet at first with a sour aftertaste.

Let this beer serve as a lesson that its possible to get a bad batch of beer even with all the QC that goes into brewing today. My last experience was so bad with this beer that the only reason it made it out of the fridge is because I didn't stock up on new "sampling beers" for reviews before my wife left the country. While I won't stock up on it, I am humbled and have a new opinion. (1,195 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

(From notes)

On tap at the brewery.

"Eh, unremarkable." Thats not exactly what you want to hear from the bartender at a brewery where a beer is brewed. But our bartender seemed to have reservations about this beer.

This beer poured a sleight head, light tan body with moderate carbonation and poor retention. Very dry rye and mix of light roasted grains, combined with a touch of lemon and caramel malt.

Very dry and resiny-tasting. Rounded finish with a decent balance. Nothing like some of Lancaster co.'s others but a half-decent summer sessionable. (557 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a semi-clear darkish amber with a head that just won't quit. I'm docking points on appearance because every one of the six of these in my variety case took forever to pour. Huge chunky off-white head that has to settle every time before I can finish the bottle. Just downright annoying.

Anyway, on to the rest...smell is really odd for a pale ale. I don't get much in the way of hops at all. Some odd fruitiness - kinda like strawberry - and some malt sweetness on the back end along with what must be some of the "four grains," but I can't really distinguish.

Taste is very mild - mild sweetness, feint hops - and some interesting flavors that must also be coming from those previously undetermined four grains. It's interesting and different but somewhat bland.

Overall this beer is medium bodied, (too) heavily carbonated, somewhat crisp and refreshing. Definitely not my favorite beer.

*EDIT* I gave this beer a second chance as part of NEPA BC split #3 and liked it even less. Flavor was tart almost like sour cherries or something. Not at all what I want out of a pale ale. I can't think of a great way to describe it, but I just plain don't like this beer...I guess the best I can come up with is YUCK. Honestly this might be my least favorite US craft beer I've ever had. (1,298 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Pours 1 finger of off-white head that disappears quickly leaving little to no lacing. The beer is a clear copper color.

S - Some sweet smelling fruits, grains, and spices make up the aroma. The fruity smell is the most dominate.

M - Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

T - A mix of wheat and grain in the beginning followed by some flowery hops. The hops add a little bitterness, but the aftertaste is mostly a dry grainy flavor. I wasn't very fond of the aftertaste.

I'm just not a fan, the wheat like pale ale didn't do it for me. I'll try to avoid this one in the future. (593 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

12 oz bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Cear copper with 3 finger eggshell white head, huge bubbles, residing quickly, leaving no lacing.

S: Weird citrus/sweet.

T: Sweet and tart. No hops. Sour malt? Very odd. As if someone made a beer flavored sour lollipop or beer flavored sour milk.

M: Somewhat creamy/syrupy. Too carbonated.

D: Not good. Too weird of a taste. Nothing like a pale ale. Almost as if they tried to make a Belgian ale and forgot some ingredients.

I didn't like this beer at all. I will seek it out on tap to see if it was a fluke. I want to try to support LBC, since their other offerings are good. (647 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is my second Lancaster Brewing beer I've had off the premises, and so far, I'm not a fan of their bottled product. The other was their Hop Hog IPA and between that one and this, I'm convinced that someone hid the hops over in Lancaster.

This pours an almost reddish amber with a substantial head that dissipates quickly. Both the aroma and the taste are far maltier than I'd expect in a pale ale, without so much as a hint of hop bitterness to cut through the sweetness. If this had been presented as a classic British ESB, I'd probably rate it much higher, but it's far too malt-forward to qualify as a Pale Ale in my book.

As for the rather unique 4-grain grain bill, it didn't seem to make much of an impact that I could detect. I generally expect rye to bring a bit of a rough edge, yet this was smooth as could be. And the wheat did nothing to crisp it up. I'd be really interested in knowing what the proportions of the various grains were.

Like I said, had I been in the mood for something sweeter, I might have enjoyed this much more than I did. But the utter absence of hop character made this a disappointment as a pale ale. I'm not surprised they decided to retire this one. (1,195 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Clear reddish amber in color. Forms a small white head that has no retention and leaves little lacing.

S: The (thankfully) light scent of sourish caramel malt.

T: Again, a twangy caramel malt with a mild bitterness. Malt and fruit. Some light citrus and orange. Mildly sweet, a bit watery.

M: Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation.

D: A half decent beer at best and a poor representation of the style. Not particularly enjoyable. (445 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a nice amber color, light carbination, nice head to start but disapates quickly. A so so bready aroma. I can taste the rye and wheat here. I also detect Fuggles hops but there seem to be others. In fact is seems to have a lot of complex ingredients yet it is a very simple and clean taste. It is one of those beers that if necessary you could session, but I wouldnt go out of my way to get this beer....nevertheless it is worth a try. (440 characters)

Had this at North 3rd in Northern Liberties. Yellowish amber color. No lasting headat all and no lacing on the glass. Not much bubble action in the glass either. Slightly sweet floral (roses) nose. Flat on the tongue with sweet candy flavors cut with a slightly bitter hop finish. Not much mouthfeel to notice. Felt average in many ways... maybe I was at the end of the keg or something... (389 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to woodychandler for leaving this at my place. Pours from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass a golden amber color with a half inch of white foam and good clarity. Aromas of lightly roasted grains, slightly spicy with some caramel accents. Mellow herbal hops with a touch of citrus. It kinda just sits there with nothing really jumping out at me.

First sip brings a big toasted graininess that bathed in a light caramel accent. A touch of spiciness from the rye comes through and sets this apart from other APA's. Light citrus fruit accents and a light spicy, herbal hop on the way down. This just doesn't end up jiving together very well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with big bubbly carbonation. Goes down rather smooth. This one just failed to grab me in any way. Not really what I'm after when I'm looking to have an APA. (834 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Honey amber hue with a one finger light tan head that settles to a thin even cap.

Light slightly toasted aromas with a hint of creaminess. The hops are spicey with a little bit of a flowery scent.

Toasty grains with a bit of caramel. The hops are very light in the flavor, barely providing any bitterness. Watery taste with little carbonation. The finish is clean.

Good flavors but a little boring. (427 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Beautiful 2-finger head, mid-brown color, transparent. Retention and lacing are great.

S: Apples, cinnamon, barley, lots of grain, brown sugar, some dark fruit. Has a slightly metallic smell.

T: Apples, dark fruit, and lots of grain dominate, along with a bit of metallic flavor and alcohol. Tastes like a grainier version of German dark beer. Could use some more hops - too much grain and fruit. The aftertaste is a rather overpowering grainy yeasty bitter flavor which I don't like.

M: Very light-bodied, non-astringent. Good carbonation. Rather dry on the palate.

D: Goes down rather easily, but many other beers that taste similar go down better. The aftertaste makes it a bit hard to want more. (707 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

*Included in a Beer of the Month shipment back in January*

A: Pours a slightly hazy dark amber color with a decent off-white head on it's shoulders. Although, that could be because I pulled off a perfect pour. Pint glass, by the way. Some definite sediment floating around. Don't remember that from the first two of these I had, but one was out of the bottle. Bubbles got it going on. Appearance is actually really good.

S: Fruity bread. Fruity wheat. Smells like a Hefewiezen -- this isn't one though, right? Kind of smells like your average wheat beer. Nothing really standing out for me. Pretty much standard.

T: Taste like it smells. Fruity wheat. Fruity bread. The finish, for me, is kind of flat. Although, this beer isn't "fresh" by any means. If this was an IPA I wouldn't even review it. Not a huge wheat beer guy. I prefer a hoppier Pale Ale. The finish is a big turn off -- almost metallic. Sour. I really look for flavor to bounce off my tongue, and I'm not getting that here. Average.

M: For a Pale Ale this is more on the heavy side. Almost syrupy for me. Chewing wet bread. Medium carbonation.

O: Meh. This is kind of off putting, to be honest. I was looking for something light to finish off the night. The subtle flavors are confusing me -- don't know if what I'm tasting is intentional or not. I could see ordering this on tap somewhere, but wouldn't purchase a bottle of it. (1,398 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottle that has a small picture of an Amish buggy being pulled by a horse. No date anywhere on the label or bottle.

When poured into a Flying Fish pint glass, this Pale Ale is a nice clear amber orange with a white head of foam that was less than 1/2 inch in height. This head of foam quickly dissipated into a few bubbly rings along the edge. It didn't bother to leave any lace behind. I thought the aroma was going to be grainy, but instead it was lightly fruity with a quick splash of malted grains. Very light aroma. The taste was creamy with some faint malted grains, a pinch of juicy fruits, and a sublte hint of hops. There wasn't much going on in here. Every flavor was far too subtle. Even the malted grains were too subtle and that's part of the beer's name. The mouthfeel was light with a faint aftertaste of malted grains. Even though there weren't many flavors in this beer, I would still choose this one over a beer that has a ton of malted grains in it. For me, one of these is good enough. (1,012 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

Lancaster beers have sort of taken a back burner position in my usual rotation, so I thought it time to not only drink a few of 'em, but even take the time to rate one or two. Today's candidate is the Amish 4-Grain. Brewed with barley, oat, wheat and rye, I am hoping this is going to be an interesting little brewskie. Pours pretty dark, almost plopping it into an amber ale category for me. Deep honey hue with minimal head retention and lacing. Guess they didn't use too much wheat here. Sticking my nose in the glass I am not overly amused at the subtle, sweet, almost buttery aroma. Meh thus far. The taste is on par with the smell, malty, sweet nuttiness, once again a touch of butter (sorta like a Ritz was crumbled into the brew kettle actually). Decent body and there is a mild hop bitterness to keep this a rather drinkable, if all-round unexciting, APA. UnfortunatelyI was drinking Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale all last night and would prefer that over this any ol' day. Still, far from being a drain-pour. (1,015 characters)

Amish Four Grain Pale Ale from Lancaster Brewing Company