Amish Four Grain Pale Ale - Lancaster Brewing Company

good

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Jarod on 12-05-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amish Four Grain Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.71/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is my second Lancaster Brewing beer I've had off the premises, and so far, I'm not a fan of their bottled product. The other was their Hop Hog IPA and between that one and this, I'm convinced that someone hid the hops over in Lancaster.

This pours an almost reddish amber with a substantial head that dissipates quickly. Both the aroma and the taste are far maltier than I'd expect in a pale ale, without so much as a hint of hop bitterness to cut through the sweetness. If this had been presented as a classic British ESB, I'd probably rate it much higher, but it's far too malt-forward to qualify as a Pale Ale in my book.

As for the rather unique 4-grain grain bill, it didn't seem to make much of an impact that I could detect. I generally expect rye to bring a bit of a rough edge, yet this was smooth as could be. And the wheat did nothing to crisp it up. I'd be really interested in knowing what the proportions of the various grains were.

Like I said, had I been in the mood for something sweeter, I might have enjoyed this much more than I did. But the utter absence of hop character made this a disappointment as a pale ale. I'm not surprised they decided to retire this one.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours clear dark orange with two fingers of head

Smell is really malt forward. Sweet nutty caramel and brown sugar.. Hopa are really restrained

Taste also lacks hops but offers more sweet bready malts. Very little bitterness.

Medium bodied and easy to drink

Decent beer but not much of a pale ale

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to a promo at Exton Beverage, Exton, PA I came home with a variety pack of Lancasters, along with a Winter Warmer (which I've also reviewed) pint glass! So, a few more Lancaster reviews soon to come.

Poured into a tumbler from a 12 oz. bottle.

A- nice burnt orange, with a light haze, and a creamy two-finger, just barely off white head. Retention fantastic, seemingly being able to stick around for days, if I'd let it. Lumps of foam stick around the glass, and even a pile of the head lies at the bottom when I'm finished.

S- Strong malt and grain, which was expected. The thing that really struck me was the aroma of the mashing process, a homebrewer's kitchen on brewing day. It's great. Sweet, breadlike, but distinct to the brewing world. Hops aren't very apparent, maybe a little dryness.

T- Up front with the malt again. I think it is a good balance sweetness, then a bit of a rye bite to spice it up. Again, hops are well hidden, but I can sense them in there somewhere.

M- Smooth, medium-light body, good light carbonation.

O- This beer is damn good. It looks, smells, and tastes great. Emphasis on the smell. I like how the mash has converted all the way to the end. Sometimes hops spoil the smell and flavor for me, but they don't here. Seasonally, I would drink this in the late summer/early fall; kind of a farewell to summer beer. It's a crisp smooth ale, but the grain gives it a light heaviness that welcomes cooler weather.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%