Gold Star Pilsner - Lancaster Brewing Company

poor

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gold Star Pilsner Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

blameo, Apr 10, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +27%

I had this pilsner along time ago, and loved it. So now that I'm a big time reviewer on BA, I had to get a Lancaster sampler and comment on them. This Gold Star Pilsner gets a gold star in my book.

Although hazy, and not clear gold did not turn me away from this brew. I see this nice 2 inch thick white head that sits well. I could smell this beer all day as my nostrils take in this buttery, doughy bread with a twist of lemon.

As It coats the palate with the slight doughy malt sweetness the hops *BOOM* release all over the place, and dance on the buds, and on the inside of your mouth for a long time. Good amount of carbonation ends with a crisp hoppy finish. Lacing all the way down. I am pleased.

Overall great MADE IN USA pilsner. I highly recommend this one.

BrinkyBeerBoy, Aug 19, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +23%

This is a sophisticated, nuanced, soft and spicy pilsner. A pilsner to be envied by brewers in Plzen, and to be tasted by those who only have been taken in by the advertised True Pilsner of Miller Brewing. The pour is the first clue that your are about to taste a fresh, American pilsner, not one that has spent weeks on a ship in who knows what condition. The aroma is soft and enticing with a wisp of grass and straw and a subtle floral note, no doubt from the three types of hops in the brew. The taste is mouthfilling with a superb balance between the slight toastiness of the ample malt and the above mentioned sophistication of the hopping process. Spicy pepper from the Saaz and a mellow bitterness from the German hops gives a refreshing, crisp note to the mid palate. Finishes with some mouth coating maltiness, then a final residual, floral bitterness. Well done.

QXSTER1, Sep 09, 2003
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Very light gold/ yellow, translucent. Retains the white head for a long time.

S: Sweet butterscotch.

T: Caramel/ butterscotch. Very rich. Well-balanced malt and hops. Light, perhaps citrus, aftertaste.

M: Smooth and slick caramel. Good carbonation.

D: I could drink this all night long!

dananabanana, Nov 14, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Bright yellow-gold, with a bit of chill haze, topped by a pure white, sticky, whip cream head. Nice lacing. Inviting.

Low key aroma, with some very fresh hay and spicey notes, but subdued.

The malt enters lightly, slipping down the throat easily, as the hops arise to give a light, fresh rinse which is greatly refreshing, and not so biting as to be off putting to the American lager drinker.

Nice soft mouthfeel. A great drinking beer for the hot days of summer.

Served up a case to a mixed crowd on Mother's Day. At party's end this bottle was the last in the cooler. I'd say that makes for a good crossover beer. Lancaster's comeback really needs more attention, another fine PA brewery. I really must visit the brewpub this summer.

RonfromJersey, Jun 05, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Served on-tap in 5 oz. sampler glass.

A: Very pale gold, clear. Thin head, strong thick lacing.

S: Smells very sweet.

T: Very sweet taste, like caramel or butterscotch. The bitter hits instantly and lingers for a few seconds.

M: Smooth, crisp.

D: I could drink this all night. It has everything I like: a pleasant smell, a sweet flavor balanced with a moderate hoppiness, and decent carbonation. It's probably my favorite from LBC.

odietrying, Oct 27, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Poureed a color somewhere between hay yellow and gold, with a fluffy head that fell to a thin but clumpy sheen. Showed a light and amoeba-like stain with plenty of nice carbonation underneath, as a good pils should.

Smelled of a full pale malt, reminiscent of a whitebread loaf fresh out the oven. Had hoppy florals of a soft herbal variety, with some soft grass and hay funk tones. Occasional fruity esters abound, too - I really liked these.

Tasted of tasty bitter: creamy with the smallest lemon tone, it had a solid thin and dry bitterness. Malt was light and just balancing, as the beer came across as very juicy with hints of fruitiness. Its moderate finish was of a fresh and barely green hops, rolling out into more oily and tart flavors. I saw some chunks floating around on the second pour, but they gave the beer a nice taste though. Mouthfeel was thin but not too much so.

I rather like this pilsener, it really surprised me with how good it was. Could drink a bunch in a row.

nomad, Oct 23, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a fluffy bright white head. Clear, deep yellow liquid...a shade or so darker than the usual Pils. Nose is zesty maltiness with grassy and lightly herbal hop notes, nice and clean. The taste is crisp and hoppy right out of the gate. Substantial maltiness gives this great body and mouthfeel. More grassy/citrusy hoppiness appears mid-line, finishes on a slightly metallic hop note. A great example of an American pilsner, reccomended!

beerluvr, Feb 22, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +18.8%

"Not pasteurized," "Brewed Naturally," and "without preservatives." I don't know what "brewed naturally" infers, but I like the other two. Now all we need is a freshness date and we would be all set.

Clear light gold with a medium-sized white head that does not stay for too long, but laces well.

Smell is deep, seedy continental hops. If I close my eyes I am in Prague with a vine in front of me with its thick, juicy cones inches from my nostrils.

Dry from the get-go, there is only an impressionistic background of grain as the vinous and herbal attributes work their way to the foreground. The colors are more muted than expected. In the end, honey is the only flavor accompanying the hops, which are by this point dusty and musty.

Feel is crisp and bitter, as well it should be. It surprisingly leaves the back of my tongue in favor of the salty sides quickly after the majority passes through.

Drinking this is easy and enjoyable. Thank you Lancaster for sharing your talent with me.

waughbrew, Oct 23, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a clear dark copper/amber color. The head is thick, almost a dirty white and there is a lot of lacing. There is quite a bit of sediment on the bottom of the glass. The scent is somewhat metallic, somewhat sweet maltiness, and a grassy hops. The flavor is hops, and they are spicy. The grassy spicy hops flavors comes through kicking. There is a slight flavor of sweet malts, maybe some dark fruits. Overall very smooth, very interesting blend of malts and hops. Nice pilsner.

robertp1024, Jul 23, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

From a 12 ounce bottle that was purchased at the brewpub. Pours a burnt-golden color with a fair amount of haze. An initially thick white head quickly falls, but never completely disappears. The lace is decent. Crisp, floral, spicy, sharp hop aroma. Just a little soft sweetness is present in the foretaste, followed quickly by a poignant, snappy hop flavor. The spicy hop character completes the taste, which finishes clean and abrupt. Medium to light in body, low carbonation for the style. Tasty and drinkable.

Suds, Jun 19, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a hazy orange with a finger of rocky white head and a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is is a subdued grass, hay, and floral hops. Taste starts out with a light malt sweetness followed quickly by a grassy and spicey hop finish. Medium bodied with a very soft smooth mouthfeel and a dryish finish. This is a pretty nice easy drinking pilsner.

cubedbee, Jul 20, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

What a pleasant surprise! I am told by my friend Woody Chandler that this beer has been seriously re-vamped since the arrival of Bill Moore to Lancaster Brewing Company. I am not generally a huge fan of the Pilsner style so I have procrastinated this beer. My expectations were low and to my surprise I was incredibly impressed.

Appearance: served to me a bright golden amber color with a large white head.

Smell: A pleasant sweet spicy Czech hop aroma (probably Saaz traditional spicy, clean bitterness - Thanks Woody). It seemed to more sweet and malty than most pilsner's I am experienced with (almost like an amber-ish quality to it).

Taste: Again the taste is simple but pleasant. A bit of toasted caramel sweetness lays atop a dampened herbal hop attribute that doesn't light fireworks but does drink very easily.

Mouthfeel: Light but not thin. Well carbonated and smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is *highly* sessionable. I don't know if it'd be as good in a bottle as it was on tap, but I'd say a growler at the next pool party cookout, may be in order.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, May 26, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Nice, simple label and graphics. There is no born on or freshness date. However, it does say that it is “all natural” and unfiltered. I later find out that it is bottle conditioned. This is helpful and puts me at ease, since I bought it at a place of questionable turnover.

Had to give this baby a high score for appearance. First, it simply erupts in the glass when poured. I used my trusty imperial pint glass. If I got half the bottle out in the first pour, I was lucky. The first thing you see is a big, billowy, and fluffy head that was completely untamable. When I enjoyed my first one, I was impatient and used the old college keg trick of putting a bit of my nose grease on the top to kill the head. It poured a hazy golden copper with some light flecks of yeast roaming around. Those Penn folks really know how to fill a bottle, since I got the same “wow” experience when I first opened up the Love Stout. A pillow of sea foam like head withstood my hearty proboscis grease and road down the glass with the sticky lacing.

An interesting grass, hay, and lemon aroma was oozing out of the volcanic head. I kept thinking that it smelled more like an Allagash-style Belgian, with a definite yeast note.

Slick on the tongue with a great mix of high bitterness, mixed with a strong malt backbone and a spicy tinge. This is crisp, easy drinking and dry, finishing very clean. The carbonation mentioned before is (burp) evident in the medium mouthfeel as well. The yeast, however, detracts from the malt and hops, so I took a bit of points off for that. I'll keep it in the cellar, and see how it is in a few months.

The website has this listed as a Bohemian pilsner, and this is an excellent example of the style. I’ve recently had the Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell and the Lancaster blows them out of the water.

Notes: Though not quite a five star quality in every way, this would definitely be a solid session brew. Drinking this makes me imagine myself out on the Grady White, bobbing around, doing my best to catch all the flounder at the Jersey shore.

Dithyramb, Jan 21, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

I was after Christian to make a Pils from the day Lancaster Malt Brewing opened. I mean when the brewer's name is Heim and it's in Lancaster, PA; you'd think it was a no brainer. Well, it was about three years before they rolled this beer out and it has become my favorite of the year round items they make. It's a little on the toasty side but with a very nice malt/hops tension. It's actually the hoppiest beer they make (it wasn't called Lancaster MALT for nothin') which suits me fine. It would probably look better in a pilsner glass and when I take the occaisional jug home, that's what I use. Gold Star is one of the reasons east central Penna is the pilsner capital of the New World.

BeerIsland, May 02, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with some yeast noted in the glass. Started off with a humongous clumpy off white head that is now a thin layer of clingy foam.

Smell: Grainy hop aroma is noted. Alcohol smell is pretty apparent. As with a bunch of beers I've reviewed lately, the aroma is getting better and better as the beer is allowed to warm slightly with more of a floral hoppy aroma developing.

Taste: Nice sharp hop bitterness is the predominant taste, with a quick hit of a slight sweetness. Finish is a lingering bitter hop taste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, dry, with a long lasting aftertaste. Carbonation level is really nice, and the alcohol warmth is better than expected.

Drinkability&Notes: After taking about 15 minutes to pour (the head on this thing is insane, it has all the staying power of beaten egg whites), this beer presents a nicely smooth drinking experience. I really like the whole unfiltered~yeast in the bottle look to this beer. Very nicely done.

JackTheRipper, Feb 09, 2004

ROGUE16, Dec 07, 2011

JKV96, Mar 06, 2014

Slatetank, May 16, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

The beer pours a gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It boasts of pale malts and some damn fine smelling hops. The taste is good as well. It is pale and grainy, with a nice hop flavor. It has no real malt complexity, but it still goes down easy with a smooth finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer drinks well. It's a fine golden ale with nice hop characteristics.

WesWes, Apr 26, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Pours with a vigorous volcanically flowing white head with chunks of yeast floating in a suspension from this bottled conditioned beauty, no born on date so something tells me this one could be a little aged, but either way this one held up nicely with a magnificant golden hue sporting huge patches of silky lacing round my conical shaped pilsner glass. Did I mention how amazing the retention of this pillow like mountainous head appears after quite a challenging pour? Aroma: Delicate light malt sweetness with an in your face amount of Saaz hops coming through not a bad pils at all, very welcoming on a warm day would like to seek this one out on draft. Taste: A bready yet grassy character makes for a crisp refreshing pilsner beer with more than a sufficient balance of hops in the bitterness department, semi-simple yet a style and beer here to be enjoyed by all beer lovers. Mouthfeel: Lighter bodied beer with a decent amount of jet stream of carbonation, perfect fullness in the humid summer days I've been living in. Drinkability: A wonderful session brew not to challenging (except for the pouring), but to the taste buds a great escape of simple enjoyment in a botlle. I could easily put away a sixer without thinking about it, very nice brew.

WVbeergeek, Sep 02, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

5.5% abv. Lancaster Brewing's flagship lager pours a clear, deep golden body that releases tiny, slow moving bubbles upward towards it's frothy white head. It's retention is limited, but it maintains a thin creamy surface covering throughout most of the glass and leaves some spotty lace. The nose expresses bright floral and grassy hops as well as some background maltiness. The body is on the light side, but it's enhanced by a very fine carbonation that gently caresses the tongue before sliding across the palate. An unimposing, lightly grainy malt acts as a base for loads of fresh, floral and spicy hop flavor and a bold bitterness at 33 IBU's. Well-balanced and quite impressive in its bitterness level! They're obviously not trying for a cross-over beer with this one - it's clearly within the range of the North German style. It finishes with some hop flavor upfront, followed by a dollop of lightly sweet grainy malt, and then some more swirling hop flavors amongst a bone-dry bitterness. Exceptionally clean and very well done. Quaffable!

NeroFiddled, Mar 24, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

This pilsner poured a cloudy golden-colored appearance with a decent frothy head. Rather slow but steady carbonation rose to the top of the glass, and there was some spotty lacing on the glass at the end. The smell was characteristically pilsner, with strong Saaz hops, floral notes, and a subdued malty presence. The taste was very bitter with grassy elements, mellow, but crisp and sharp at the same time. It finished with a somewhat bread-like doughy taste. The feel was prickly on the tongue, paving the way for the bitterness of the taste. Lancaster Brewing has some good stuff, and this pilsner is a fine example. Crisp and refreshingly bitter, I really enjoyed this beer. Very drinkable and recommended.

SchmichaelJ, Oct 11, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours with a white 1-finger head and a dark golden color. Massive carbonation bubbles appear magically in the pillowy head.
Aroma of crytal and pilsen malt with some cracked grain, oats and grass alos detected. These aromas sit on front of a nice mellow, grassy, fruity hoppy backdrop.
Flavor starts with some minor light sweet malt and proceeds to a resiny, herbal and relatively strong bitterness. Good to style.
Mouthfeel starts bitter and continues throughout, minor malt sweet undertones peek through the bitter blanket on the palate.
Drinkability is pretty good, nice modern representation of style IMHO>

CRJMellor, Mar 11, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Appears a light blonde with a luscious white head and medium carbonation. Lots of beautiful lacing.
Smells of slight graininess with touch of hops and sweetness.
Taste is crisp with mild but sharp hop bite.
Mouthfeel is very smooth and semi dry.

Finger licking good.