2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gold Star Pilsner - Lancaster Brewing Company

Gold Star PilsnerGold Star Pilsner

good

poor

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-24-2003)
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
Gavage

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a hazy darker gold color, with a spotty surface head. No lacing at all through the drink. The aroma was nice as malt and hay / grass were quite noticeable. The flavor followed the aroma as malt, hay, and reasonable bitterness hit the tastebuds. The mouthfeel was smooth and somewhat thick for a pilsner. The carbonation was very light and there was no crispness. The malt rode the tongue for several seconds after swallowing. Not overly exciting, but better than average.

03-06-2004 16:19:38 | More by Gavage
trekbiker3000

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Having just rated Pilsner Urquel?, I found this pilsner a much better beer. Maybe because it's a microbrew, or I had a fresher batch, but I liked it.

Appearance - a very nice, clear yellow color. About a one finger head that slowly dissapated, lacing along the sides of the glass.

Aroma - slight hop aroma, it smelled like a beer ought to smell like.

Taste - No bitter aftertaste with this beer. I found the hops and malt nicely balanced, neither one overpowering the other.

Mouthfeel - the acidity and carbonation were above avergae. Just enough fizz to take notice. The acidity cleanses the palate. This is a perfect beer for a meal.

Drinkability - I could go through a whole case of this stuff, but alas I only had one brew in mixed six pack for the brewery.

03-01-2004 17:16:20 | More by trekbiker3000
JackTheRipper

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with some yeast noted in the glass. Started off with a humongous clumpy off white head that is now a thin layer of clingy foam.

Smell: Grainy hop aroma is noted. Alcohol smell is pretty apparent. As with a bunch of beers I've reviewed lately, the aroma is getting better and better as the beer is allowed to warm slightly with more of a floral hoppy aroma developing.

Taste: Nice sharp hop bitterness is the predominant taste, with a quick hit of a slight sweetness. Finish is a lingering bitter hop taste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, dry, with a long lasting aftertaste. Carbonation level is really nice, and the alcohol warmth is better than expected.

Drinkability&Notes: After taking about 15 minutes to pour (the head on this thing is insane, it has all the staying power of beaten egg whites), this beer presents a nicely smooth drinking experience. I really like the whole unfiltered~yeast in the bottle look to this beer. Very nicely done.

02-09-2004 00:49:37 | More by JackTheRipper
BeerIsland

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

I was after Christian to make a Pils from the day Lancaster Malt Brewing opened. I mean when the brewer's name is Heim and it's in Lancaster, PA; you'd think it was a no brainer. Well, it was about three years before they rolled this beer out and it has become my favorite of the year round items they make. It's a little on the toasty side but with a very nice malt/hops tension. It's actually the hoppiest beer they make (it wasn't called Lancaster MALT for nothin') which suits me fine. It would probably look better in a pilsner glass and when I take the occaisional jug home, that's what I use. Gold Star is one of the reasons east central Penna is the pilsner capital of the New World.

05-02-2003 20:04:56 | More by BeerIsland