2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Gold Star Pilsner - Lancaster Brewing Company

Gold Star PilsnerGold Star Pilsner

good

poor

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.

(Beer added by: pezoids on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gold Star Pilsner Alström Bros
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
trekbiker3000

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Having just rated Pilsner Urquel?, I found this pilsner a much better beer. Maybe because it's a microbrew, or I had a fresher batch, but I liked it.

Appearance - a very nice, clear yellow color. About a one finger head that slowly dissapated, lacing along the sides of the glass.

Aroma - slight hop aroma, it smelled like a beer ought to smell like.

Taste - No bitter aftertaste with this beer. I found the hops and malt nicely balanced, neither one overpowering the other.

Mouthfeel - the acidity and carbonation were above avergae. Just enough fizz to take notice. The acidity cleanses the palate. This is a perfect beer for a meal.

Drinkability - I could go through a whole case of this stuff, but alas I only had one brew in mixed six pack for the brewery.

03-01-2004 17:16:20 | More by trekbiker3000
odietrying

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Served on-tap in 5 oz. sampler glass.

A: Very pale gold, clear. Thin head, strong thick lacing.

S: Smells very sweet.

T: Very sweet taste, like caramel or butterscotch. The bitter hits instantly and lingers for a few seconds.

M: Smooth, crisp.

D: I could drink this all night. It has everything I like: a pleasant smell, a sweet flavor balanced with a moderate hoppiness, and decent carbonation. It's probably my favorite from LBC.

10-27-2008 01:56:16 | More by odietrying
BrinkyBeerBoy

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

I had this pilsner along time ago, and loved it. So now that I'm a big time reviewer on BA, I had to get a Lancaster sampler and comment on them. This Gold Star Pilsner gets a gold star in my book.

Although hazy, and not clear gold did not turn me away from this brew. I see this nice 2 inch thick white head that sits well. I could smell this beer all day as my nostrils take in this buttery, doughy bread with a twist of lemon.

As It coats the palate with the slight doughy malt sweetness the hops *BOOM* release all over the place, and dance on the buds, and on the inside of your mouth for a long time. Good amount of carbonation ends with a crisp hoppy finish. Lacing all the way down. I am pleased.

Overall great MADE IN USA pilsner. I highly recommend this one.

08-19-2005 05:21:56 | More by BrinkyBeerBoy
rafjr00

Louisiana

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a bright clear yellow color with a thin head and no real lacing to speak of. It had no smell that were strong enough for me to pick up on other then hops/citrus. It tasted much the same as its smell with a wonderful hop bite to it. This was a good clean Pilsner.

01-03-2008 03:06:28 | More by rafjr00