Gold Star Pilsner - Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: pezoids on 03-24-2003

Description: This classic Bohemian-style Pilsner brings noble hop flavor and traditional maltiness into perfect union. A healthy dose of imported hops tips the scales towards a decidedly hoppy finish.

Also this beer is no longer produced in bottles. I'm not sure if there is anyway to change our rating because our bottles were contracted brewed and were not up to our standards hence the termination of bottling. Or I guess we just get more people to review the draft version which is many times better than our old bottles.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gold Star Pilsner Alström Bros
Ratings: 97 | Reviews: 54
4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a clear dark copper/amber color. The head is thick, almost a dirty white and there is a lot of lacing. There is quite a bit of sediment on the bottom of the glass. The scent is somewhat metallic, somewhat sweet maltiness, and a grassy hops. The flavor is hops, and they are spicy. The grassy spicy hops flavors comes through kicking. There is a slight flavor of sweet malts, maybe some dark fruits. Overall very smooth, very interesting blend of malts and hops. Nice pilsner.

4.17/5  rDev +19.1%

Served on-tap in 5 oz. sampler glass.

A: Very pale gold, clear. Thin head, strong thick lacing.

S: Smells very sweet.

T: Very sweet taste, like caramel or butterscotch. The bitter hits instantly and lingers for a few seconds.

M: Smooth, crisp.

D: I could drink this all night. It has everything I like: a pleasant smell, a sweet flavor balanced with a moderate hoppiness, and decent carbonation. It's probably my favorite from LBC.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

I had this pilsner along time ago, and loved it. So now that I'm a big time reviewer on BA, I had to get a Lancaster sampler and comment on them. This Gold Star Pilsner gets a gold star in my book.

Although hazy, and not clear gold did not turn me away from this brew. I see this nice 2 inch thick white head that sits well. I could smell this beer all day as my nostrils take in this buttery, doughy bread with a twist of lemon.

As It coats the palate with the slight doughy malt sweetness the hops *BOOM* release all over the place, and dance on the buds, and on the inside of your mouth for a long time. Good amount of carbonation ends with a crisp hoppy finish. Lacing all the way down. I am pleased.

Overall great MADE IN USA pilsner. I highly recommend this one.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a bright clear yellow color with a thin head and no real lacing to speak of. It had no smell that were strong enough for me to pick up on other then hops/citrus. It tasted much the same as its smell with a wonderful hop bite to it. This was a good clean Pilsner.

Gold Star Pilsner from Lancaster Brewing Company