Little Creatures Pale Ale - Little Creatures Brewing Company

Little Creatures Pale AleLittle Creatures Pale Ale

Little Creatures Brewing Company visit their website
Australia

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Creatures Pale Ale Alström Bros

Perfect pale ale

True_Brew_Sean, Sep 22, 2014

drakemily, Aug 04, 2014

Reflect, Nov 28, 2011

Bottle & on Tap in Adelaide & Darwin Australia - May 2010

This was an exceptional brew and the best one I experienced in Australia & New Zealand. I toured the Coopers brewery and tried their entire lineup. I visited several smaller brew pubs and tasted many local beers.

Little Creatures is one of my favorite beers. I only wish I could get it in Pennsylvania - USA : (

A- Beautiful hazy golden orange
S -Bountiful citrus-piney hops - a gorgeously dry hopped pale ale
T -Deliciously balanced, dry, crisp, light. An amazing session ale.
M - Light, nicely carbed, creamy, cask like
Overall - My favorite Pale Ale outside of the US!

I may have to beg my Australian friends to send me a case or two!

Cheers!

HopHeadRyan, Oct 06, 2011

ponyfizz, Dec 10, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

appearance; cloudy, golden yellow. Lots of yeast with a thick sticky head and beautiful lacing...perfect!

smell; nice grassy and steely malt complexities with some lemon zest and herbal hops, top quality balance and once again...perfect!

taste; well balanced, the hops are supreme with bitterness of citrus rind and herbs, just as the smell would suggest. The flavor carries from start to finish but leaves enough room for malt complexities to come through. Malts remind of fresh cereal grains with a faint sweetness. The yeast is present and noticable but in my opinion only helps marry the flavors into a pure delight for the palate. The best i've had of this style by far.

mouthfeel; slick with a moderate thickness. Very refreshing and crisp in the finish. Somewhat of a powdery carbonation for a lack of words, this is a good thing.

overall; I really like to spread the word on Australia's amazing beer offerings but no embellishing, this stuff is amazing! Anytime i'm bushcamping, I bring a few of these along as it's such a great beer that I don't mind it warm.

Sachsenfreude, Jun 14, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +22%

This beer is reason enough to visit Australia. A beautiful beer that is dry-hopped giving it a fantastic aroma and flavor that is never bitter.

This beer is a bit on the light side yet has lots of flavor. This is a big winner. Having this beer in Perth (Near Fremantel where its made) was a pleasure. The aromas and flavor were considerably better that the same beer in Sydney.

tzchandler, Dec 20, 2008

lrjohnston, Jun 08, 2014

ladofmanor, Dec 16, 2012

Josh2222, May 22, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

Aussie Aussie Oye Oye Oye!!! This pale ale is subtle but very nice!!! LCBC did a fine job in constructing this gem of a malted refreshment! The light Amber color with white foam head and perfect lacing give way to a mild citrus/hop aroma. This all culminates to a beautiful tasting montage of wonderful. The mouthfeel and drinkability of this fine ale will be equal to the legend of John Cook himself!!! Stay thirsty my friends!

WoodBrew, Feb 11, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +15.8%

the best australian beer i've tasted (inc. cooper's line)

pours a beautiful light gold amber with a magnificnt inch and a half tall white head of fine bubbles. medium carbonation, very smooth mouthfeel.

wonderful smooth taste, malt on the top of the palate that becomes sweeter on the sides. faintest aftertaste of bitter hops.

easiest, smoothest drink in the island continent

annatar, Jan 15, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

It's taken 14 reviews to get to what is quite possibly my favourite ale and here it is: Little Creatures Pale Ale! [Warning: the below review will be tainted by bias]

Poured from a 568ml (pint-sized) bottle into a 500ml Stein glass (thank God the Germans give about an inch of head room on their glasses!).

A: Golden amber cloudy body, a very typical pale ale colour, with a slightly golden white 1.5cm head that retains very well... points there.

S: Floral hop aromas with crystal malts; the smell that ale dreams are made of... not much else to say.

T: The taste begins with light toasty malts that almost immediately surrender to the hops, sublime if you're a hop-head like I am. There are at least three distinct hop flavours I can detect in palate order: 1) buttery hops, 2) grassy citrus hops and 3) a final spicy hop - this ends on the expected bitter note, however it's not overpowering... to me this is the closest ale I've found to what I would make myself given the skills of brewing.

M: Creamy and medium bodied, well balanced.

D: If I had an infinite supply of this I would die a happy man. In reality though I'm hard pressed to afford it (it's in the upper echelons of Australian macro beers price-wise). It is a fantastically drinkable ale that puts pretty much all Australian brews to shame... sorry CUB, Tooheys, Fosters - this is a real beer!

Food match: Roasted game bird or poultry with a light salad. Thai cuisine is a spot on match in my books.

doktorhops, Feb 18, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

20oz Imperial Pint
Appearance- A massive thick wispy, suddies head, that retained for the full session. The body was an IPA orange, that thickly laced down the glass.
Smell - Sweet and Bitter Orange and Grapefruit Notes. A full on experience that almost overwhelms the sweet carmel malt.
Taste- Sweet Hops that have a heavy mouthfeel that is reflected in the nose. The malt is rather upfront because its sweet and very slightly bitter at the end. The hops dominate just as they should in the style. As the beer nears the bottom of the glass, it acquires a piney taste from the hops.
Mouthfeel- Moderatly Carbonated, It has a heavy mouthfeel for an APA but its appropriate for the heavy dose of hops. Very Smooth and gradual finish.
Drinkability- Sweet and really nice especially considering the high doses of hops.

This is the best APA I have had and wish I had more time in Australia to track down the rest of the LC line.

TubaManJack, Apr 27, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What a treat to find this in the BC private stores as this beer has a rep for being among Australias best. It is a incredibly hoppy pale ale that tasted very fresh and complex. I can see how this would have a revelation down under when it came . I need to buy more of this beer

canucklehead, Dec 21, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

A big thanks to KBL Tim for obtaining this beer!

Appearance: Slightly opaque orange body with nice white head.
Aroma: Beautiful orange blossom aroma with lovley pale malt background.
Taste: Firm bitterness, full malt flavor, nice citrus.
Mouthfeel: This beer is a lot like SNPA, but has a smoother, bottle conditioned feel.
Drinkability: I could see this as an ideal session beer. Tasty, classic mouthfeel, and not too massive.

Naerhu, Apr 04, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Nick09, Sep 01, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a Pint bottle with a 'Best Before Date of Oct 14, 2011' The first of 6 Australian beers that my wonderful girlfriend gave to me upon her return from spending time in Newcastle and Sydney.

A - The slightest of haze falls upon this rich hay colored brew. Thin fleeting head with ample sticky lacing that immediately clings to the sides of my glass. Lots of lively carbonation dancing to the surface that surfaces and maintains the coaster like veil of beads. Looks refreshing!

S - Smooth citrusy hops that give way to Grapefruit and tangerine notes that shine through with a very crisp and fresh effervescence. A hint of grainy malt in the nose too. This smells incredibly fresh and lively.

T - Very much like the nose. Not very complex, but it hits the hop and citrus notes softly, but perfectly in unison. With just enough of a malt backbone, this beer is wonderfully balanced and easy on the palette. Finish is both bitter and citrusy sweet with no off flavors. Very simple, but refined and delicious.

M - Perfect for the style. It has a medium body that is neither sticky, or resinous. My mouth feels sad that it may never have this beer again! That is Mouthfee(lings) right there folks.

D - Perfect. If this was available in the states I can see it being a go-to beer in my fridge. Amazingly sessionable. It has bright fresh hops and bitterness but doesn't scorch your palette. Happy I was able to try this wonderful brew.

Bobby12many, Nov 23, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

A wonderfull little beer! The aroma reminds me of passionfruit, perhaps from cascade hops. Little Creatures is perhaps lighter in colour than some traditional pale ales but it is certainly not lacking in its flavour. This is a very drinkable beer, and I would have to rate it as one of Australias finest. I very much look forward to tasting this beer on draught.

ALEBOY, May 31, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a light golden colour with some orange highlights. Large head that recedes to a 1/2" then later to nothing...

Smell is of citrus, pale malt, grapefruit and oranges....Great!

Taste is hoppy goodness all the way through...

Mouthfeel is about where it should be for a sessionable pale ale.

Drinkability--No problem drinking these all night...

What a fantastic beer. Simply one of the best pale ale's out there.

darklordlager, Dec 23, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Being from Los Angeles, California, I was completely suprised by this find. I was becoming quite depressed by the lack of beers I found in Sydney that had any assertive hop character. My stay was about a month and I found this beer towards the end and then proceeded to try it as much as possible.

The beer has a similar quality to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Very drinkable, great hop nose and nice crisp taste. Refreshing and great along with Thai and Vietnamese food. Golden Amber with great carbonation. Very nice citrus and earthy/wood undertones. Nice malt / hop balance. A great addition to the normal everyday lagers. I only wish that I had the opportunity to try it on draft. If I could get this in the U.S. I believe it would be in my fridge all of the time.

keypocket, Nov 17, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle into large pint glass. There is a unique number stamped on the bottle, but it's unclear how to figure out the date from this (though it's probably there).

A - copper colored, and slightly cloudy. Head appears quickly, non-voluminous and dissipates quickly. Initially its got huge apparent carbonation but that disappears fairly quickly.

S - citrus and perhaps a bit of copper/iron metallic odor on the nose. Nice rich hops as well.

T - moderately bitter with a strong hops/citrus backabone. Well balanced.

M - quite carbonated but seems right for the taste. Nice, not overpowering bitter aftertaste.

D - very drinkable - can drink a lot of this!!!

DoktorZee, Apr 23, 2010