Little Creatures Pale Ale - Little Creatures Brewing Company

Little Creatures Brewing Company visit their website
Australia

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Creatures Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 146
4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - A cloudy golden colour with a small amount of head.

Smell - Definitely an interesting mixture of fruits in the smell, particularly tropical fruits and melons.

Taste - A good mixture of fruitiness and hoppiness - a somewhat kiwi fruit like flavour.

Mouthfeel - A bitter aftertaste, but otherwise feels great.

Drinkability - You won't have a problem knocking back a few of these, interesting enough not to make you want something more expensive.

Overall - Drinking this in a glass from the bottle was far from the great drinking experience you get from the tap at the Little Creatures brewery, but it is still a great, good value bottled beer.

EDIT - I have tried this a few more times since my first review, and this most definitely deserves a 4.5 for taste.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I cant lie this is the very first micro beer i reckon i had that took me into my fascination with micro beers in general and to be honest prob started off Australia's growing love and acceptance of micro breweries as an accepted beer to drink as it definately was the pioneer,anyways the beer pours a see thru light redgum honey colour with nice carbonation and even nicer lacing,the aroma is straight up pure fresh,fruity,pine driven hops with a honeyish malt aroma just at the end beautiful just how i remember,it has an above average mouthfeel with a nice piney,passionfruit flavour to it just how APA's should so drinkability is high,prob one of Australias best takes on this style so far and definately our first.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours an amber colour with a thick creamy head that hangs around for a while. Has a lovely sweet odour, very fruity and hoppy. Tastes just as fruity and hoppy as it smells and its something you want to hold on your tongue and savour. Very smooth and very moreish. Not heavily carbonated either. A very pleasant drop that I will be savouring again in the not too distant future. Most definitely isn't a beer for sharing ;)

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a pint glass (the bottle says to pour into a glass and shows a picture of a pint glass)

Appearance: Nice deep golden amber color, with a 2 finger head that quickly settles down into a thin layer on top of the beer. Moderate amount of carbonation visible.
Minor about of lacing.

Smell: First thing that hits me is citrus. Mmm.
Citrusy, but with depth. Has a nice malt tang at the back of the nose.
Whilst smelling this, I'm trying not to take a big gulp.
Isn't strong smelling though. Had to stick my nose quite deep into the glass to pick up everything.

Taste: Here comes the good part, oh boy!
Sweet malty flavors all round my mouth. Slightly bitter too, more bitter than I expected, and I like that. Still, it is not as bitter as some ales which have hops taking the front.
The malt and hops work together quite well, I don't feel that one is overpowering the other.
Nice plesant bitter finish at the back of my mouth.
Wish there were more hop aroma though.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation isn't too strong and doesn't hide or overpower anything. Medium bodied beer. Doesn't feel too thin but isn't too thick.

Overall:
Great stuff. I'm really glad I went and got a 6 pack. Wasn't sure if I should have gotten this at first, but looking at the other crappy local beers at the supermarket, I decided to just grab this to try.
A beer with flavor that is easy to drink, and goes down well.

However, kinda pricey where I live (~23usd). A 6 pack of guinness costs ~18usd here. Singapore is a sad place.
This puts me off from buying this all the time to a rotational basis I guess. *le sigh*

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

568ml bottle poured into a goblet...

A- golden color and pretty clear. A bit of a white heas that settles quickly.

S- plenty of hops with an apple and caramel

T- very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. THAT is a big compliment. Fresh straw and grapefruit. Nice dry finish.

MF- again, very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Pleasant and inviting. Well balanced.

O- there's a lot to like here. Of the beers I've had from Australia, this ranks in the top 3, and it is widely available. I would recommend this beer and will drink it again.

4.16/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a clear copper/amber colour with a fingertip of head that doesn't last especially long but leaves just enough lacing to protect your beer til the end (if you don't drink too slow).

The smell is nice, a very pleasant mingling of grassiness and floral hops hits your nose at first but malt and yeast smells are there too in the background.

Malt dominates the taste much more than you'd expect from the smell, the aromatic floweriness is present mostly in the aftertaste. At first I found the hops bitterness faint but refreshing. Not sure if it was served too cold or because it was masked by the food but after downing a quarter of the brew the hops bitterness had become quite obvious as you'd expect from an APA.

Again I can only describe this brew as feeling medium bodied in the mouth and I thought it could do with a little less carbonation though my drinking partner disagreed.

This is a very drinkable beer and I can't really fault it for what it achieves. Crisp and clean, goes down easy and has the refreshing hoppiness lovers of this style go for. The malty flavours weren't especially complex but this doesn't bother me so much for a crisp easy drinking beer like this, I just wish the malt flavours lingered longer.

I grew up with Coopers Sparkling Ale but when I want something less heavy, crisper and more refreshing I think that this might end up being the other brew constantly in my fridge

4.16/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is the final of three Australian beers from my store, and I think we might have a winner here.

It pours a really hazy dark orange with some brown notes - it looks like apple cider with some bubbles on top. The smell is very pleasant, with a predominantly grapefruit aroma, accompanied by the usual hoppy smell that these beers tend to have. It works nicely, and makes the beer feel brighter than it really is.

The taste is extremely smooth for a Pale Ale with a little bit of lingering bitterness on the tongue and a restrained amount of carbonation - all of which makes this one very easy drinking but flavourful beer. The grapefruit taste also comes through, albeit very faintly. It's certainly a noticeable component of the beer, but it's not overwhelming enough to make you think this is a fruit beer; it's firmly in pale ale territory. The finish is pleasant with some moderate carbonation. I can't quite put my finger on why I really like this beer, but it's just really enjoyable.

Fantastic beer, just great.

4.15/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle purchased at a pub in London.

A: Cloudy, dark amber color with a nice white head. No lacing when the head recedes.
S: Extremely fruity! Strong caramel maltiness with tons of citrus peel aroma. Nice and fresh. I like it so far!
T: Taste follows the smell. Pleasing hop front balanced with some sweet maltiness. Passion fruit, nectarines, orange, peach. Just wonderful. Nice lingering flavor that leaves you wanting more.
M: High carbonation on a medium body. Slightly dry finish.
O: This is an awesome beer, glad I got to try it. Dangerously drinkable, great to have on a warm summer night.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Little Creatures Pale Ale pours a translucent golden colour with a tight, creamy white head. Little to no lacing.

Aroma is full of fresh, floral hops. Plenty of citrus in there too with a light tart edge.

A nice light hoppy taste is present made evident through fruity notes consisting mostly of stone fruit. It is really a pleasant flavour here with a nice bitter edge on the finish.

Lightish body with vibrant carbonation, this is refreshing and perfect for a warm (or cold) day.

Plenty of flavour that doesn't beat down the palate but maintains interest without being challenging. This tasty brew clocks in a a great ABV as well making for a highly drinkable brew.

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Gold with a light orange hue, nice white head subsides w/o lace.

Seriously fruity aroma: nectarine, tangerine, candied pineapple, mango.

Pleasant amount of fruit in the flavour as well, solid bitterness, not the least bit harsh.

Well-attenuated with a crisp, dry finish. A bit more bubbly than I'd prefer.

Overall, a really nice drinker. The hops from the southern hemisphere are a nice change.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Burnished gold with fluffy white head that puckers and clings in sheets. Toasty cookie malts and grapefruit and blossom nose. Solid country white loaf malt backbone with more bright grapefruity hops with a touch of resin. Tropical fruit sorbet finish and tingly linger. Medium, chewy, creamy.

Everything an APA should be, and the equal of SNPA in terms of both flavor and drinkability. A credit to Australian craft brewing. I'd always have this in the frig if it were easier to get.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Cylinder glass at the Riverview, Balmain.

Poured a lightish golden colour with a slight haze to it. White head that was a finger in depth and stayed at half that while lacing on the way down.

Smell has passionfruit, grapefruit, citrus all working beautifully well together and they come in that order.

Taste has the grapefruit is decent measures along with caramel, which helps back it up.

Nice body, good bitterness from front to the finish. Still quite sessionable.

I've been super impressed with this on tap lately...less so with the bottled version. Hoppy, flavoursome, very drinkable and widely available for Australian craft. Hard to beat for a go to craft beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

The beer as it sets in the glass a translucent gold color, the head moderate in size, bright white and the texture creamy and the lace decent covering sheets. Nose is mostly malt, light floral hints, crisp and fresh citrus like appeal. Front is malt and lightly sweet, finish is mild in its acidity, hops pleasing in their spiciness, droughty and long lasting aftertaste. Quite a good drinking beer and I’m sure a session beer down under.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow amber with a crisp white head that lasts quite a while, leaving no lacing, there seems to be some small floating yeast particles in it at closer inspection actually, not sure if I like it or not.

Smells of mellow and robust hops, without being in your face or overly aromatic, with a distinct hint of white bread and hay, pretty fresh, butnot that usual thing you get from a typical APA, I also get an ever so slight hint of non-perfumed detergent. Alot more complex and interesting than most APAs.

Taste is slightly reserved, at first, but then some nice herbal hops spring forth, caressing your tastebuds with light floral citru. A very elegant hoppyness here, not at all the usual suspects like grapefruit or tropical simcoe-stuff, this is alot more down-to-earth, I would guess that there are some noble hops in this, or at least some of the mutated noble hop varieties they have on New Zeeland, but its damn delicious, really an elegant and smooth taste profile. The hops are balanced out really well by a white breadiness from the malts.

Mouthfeel is actually a little bit sticky, which takes away some of the refreshing feeling I otherwise get from this brew.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Nice beer available both on tap or in bottle almost throughout Australia. Nice hop aroma showing the APA characteristics used to from American hops. Pours a nice golden color and with a nice creamy head as well. Very drinkable and great beer for the warmer weather. One of my go to 6'ers when in Australia.

4.11/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice, medium golden colour with a thumb sized, bubbly white head that halves in size and leaves bits of lace on the side of the glass as it does so.

Quite fresh smelling with some grassy hops and a background caramel malt aroma that hints at some sweetness. There are a few malts present along with some citrus and a hint of bitterness at the end.

Sweet malts and caramel upfront with some toffee and a nice helping of bitterness. There is a biscuit malt flavour in there and some light grapefruit, nothing too strong but noticeable nonetheless. There is also a few hops coming through around the middle and some light, tropical fruits.

Lively carbonation to begin with a lot of sweetness hitting upfront. The body is about medium and the beer is pretty well balanced overall.

Just as good at the first time I tried it. This one is an excellent session beer and one that I am quite partial to any time I spot it out and about. It always goes down well.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

568mL pint bottle shared with my wife in our hotel room in Canberra. BBD: March 2012.

First craft brew of our Australian adventure!

A nice golden-amber brew, certainly on the 'pale' end of the pale ale spectrum, with a half inch of creamy head. Good retention on that, some great lacing streaks as well.

Nose is nutty malts, caramel, citrus (orange, lemon), mildly bitter hops.

This is a great-tasting brew, refreshing, yet flavorful. Opens with a nutty, caramel malt flavor, then transitions to a citrus/bitter hop finish. While not the boldest APA I've come across, this is certainly enjoyable stuff.
Creamy, slightly watery, soft carbonation (though not flat by any means).

Great brew, something I'll certainly come back to again while I'm Down Under. Drinkability is very high - easy to quaff, flavorful enough to sip, several in one go would be ideal.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy amber with little head which diminished to next to nothing almost instantly - looks real pretty in my Little Creatures glass though. Nose is strong citrusy hops - I get hints of tangerine. Taste is a strong citrus hop up front which diminishes to a pleasing finish with some malt coming in to balance the hops. The mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. By far the tastiest Australian beer I've tried - I will be having more of these.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pale gold with fairly large white head. Subdues in to a rough layer. Looks good.

Floral hops, a little sweetness. Fairly reserved compared to some american examples, but still very nice.

Not as bitter as I remember. Nice fruity hops, a little bit of earthyness. Some sweetness.

Mouthfeel is great for the style. So is drinkability. If I was eating/drinking at the right pace, I doubt I would ever need to stop drinking these.

Edit: Just got that slight vanilla-esque touch that comes from the hops and malt playing against each other. That's the part I remember I love about this, going to lift the taste rating up to a 4.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours an orangish golden color with a decent amount of white foamy head that sticks around. Smells like cascade hops, nice and citrusy and a little floral. Also tastes like cascade hops with a good amount of bitterness behind it. I don't taste a whole lot of maltiness, but there is some sweetness to balance the bitterness out. The mouthfeel is a little tingly and heavy, but not too much of either, very nice. Overall, it's a great and tasty pale ale, especially if you're a cascade hop lover, which I am.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

568 ml bottle ( one pint) poured into a tulip glass.

A-- poured a dark gold color, very big head that quickly died off. Left some good lacing. lightly carbonated. Not as cloudy as the Coopers version of a Pale Ale.

S-- Floral, citrus and hops, more floral and citrus though. Got that immediate salivation in the back of my mouth. Yep, a pale ale.

T-- citrus and floral forward. Very well balanced between the 2.

M-- Get that cotton mouth feeling from the hops but not as big as some American versions of this. Light carbonated but very solid. Lighter than I thought it would be.

D-- Easily sessionable. 2-3 would be nice thank you. Very good Australian beer. Easily one of the best 10 beers from Australia. This beer would do very well in the USA and a very good version of a APA. A slight lean to this over Coopers. Reminds me of the Flying Dog Pale Ale.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: Cute logo of a cherub holding a foamy mug on label and the cap, comes in a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Poured into a Leffe glass, appears a hazy amber color, with a one finger off-white head. Lively carbonation, but mediocre head retention and little lacing.

Smell: Aroma is reminiscent of a proper American Pale Ale, something I haven't tasted in too long, living on the other side of the Atlantic. Resiny, juicy hops on top of ale fruitiness. Citrus and pine both come to mind, though the former is more dominant. A bit of candy/sweet malt underneath.

Taste: Sweeter and maltier than I was expecting, based on the aroma, but balanced with a solid bitterness at the back of your tongue. Very well balanced. On the palate, hops are more earthy than citrusy. Faint biscuit notes emerge as it warms. Juicy hops at the middle, before a clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation. Medium body, but not syrupy. Velvety texture. Very long finish, but clean and refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a highly drinkable beer, the best Australian beer I have had to date and a breath of fresh air for me, personally. Very refreshing, sessionable.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Little Creatures is one Australian brewery with I am really proud of. They make fantastic products and are driven to make great beer without compromise on quality and have stayed true to the ideals of craft beer. Their interpretation of an APA is one of the best brewed here in Australia and one of my fav beers.

A: Amber in colour with good clarity. The perfect level of carbonation which lends itself to maintaining head retention and lacing on the glass. This also helps push the aromas out of the beer.

S: Beautiful grapefruit citrus aromas with underlying malty sweetness underneath. Clean ferment with no esters present.

T: Pleasant upfront bitterness balanced by a well-rounded malt profile which includes a touch of caramel sweetness. Slight resiny hop flavour as an aftertaste.

M: Med-light bodied with this amount of carbonation makes this beer soft enough that the big malt and hop characteristics aren't too much. Finish in this beer is med and adds to the drinkability.

D: This is very much a session beer. The hops aren't too much that your pallet gets fatigued and the malt / body isn't so that you feel full or bloated.

This is a well-crafted beer and the fresher the better to really get the full benefits of the aroma and liveliness of this great example of an APA.

Cheers,

Liam

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I first tried Little Creatures last year during the first part our honeymoon in Western Australia (WA) at Settler's Tavern in Margaret River on a recommendation from the bartender - then ended up picking up a 6-pack for our cottage fridge for the week.

We then actually ended up spending an evening, towards the end of our trip, chilling on the deck of their Fremantle (or Freo as they call it, Australians seem to shorten nearly every word) brewpub. We had just discovered that we were expecting a child so my wife, Jess, drank water as I managed to sneak in a quick pint or two. The food looked great, but it was slamming busy and we were way too hungry to wait - so we ate elsewhere. In retrospect, I wish we would've spent more time digging into their food and beers. Highly recommend stop if you find yourself in WA.

So, you can say I'm a Little Creatures fan and this isn't a new discovery, but it's a great reintroduction to the burgeoning craft beer scene in Australia and a delicious beer.

Light & hoppy. Refreshing bitter notes and a clean mouthfeel. Well-crafted, this is an everyday beer; it doesn't demand your attention, it just has it.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Bright, lovely golden hue, big, active, frothy white head.
Aroma is bursting with fruit, fresh and citrusy, and just a touch sour, too, with a hoppy edge.
Very smooth drinking, with a sunny disposition. Fruitiness(peaches, oranges) continues through subsequent sipping. Light in body, sweet finish, pleasant character. Reminds me of Sierra Nevada PA in flavor. Bright and beautiful, this is a keeper. Goes down so easy, it's a perfect session ale. Never lets you forget that it's all about flavor!
thanks to rastaman for this bottle!

Little Creatures Pale Ale from Little Creatures Brewing Company