Little Creatures Pale Ale - Little Creatures Brewing Company

Little Creatures Pale AleLittle Creatures Pale Ale

Little Creatures Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Creatures Pale Ale Alström Bros
BuddhaBrowett

Norway

07-11-2014 18:15:42 | More by MoFro
drtth

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes taken on a recent trip to Sydney.

Poured into a wine glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is rich bright golden color with a ½" white head that persists for a while and leaves some lacy sheets and rings on the side of the glass. Sipping leaves some lacing for a while but most lacing is gone well before the beer.

Smell: The aroma is fresh, clean has a definite fruity citrus character from the hops. The pale malt keeps a well defined place as a supporting cast member but is definite in its presence..

Taste: The flavors are much as expected from the nose, with the malt backbone supporting crisp citrus and floral notes and echoes from the hops.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with adequate carbonation. The finish begins with atouch of bready malt sweetness and then slides gently into some mild hop bitterness leading to the ending.

Drinkability: This was an easy drinker with one sip following another quite naturally. It was easy to have a second and a third. I'd easily place this beer among the top two or three of the 15-20 different beers I had on my visit. While I often prefer just a touch more hop character to the pale ale, this was a very nice interpretation of the style and I could see making it a regular purchase.

11-10-2010 02:00:28 | More by drtth

KalanM

11-29-2012 06:31:29 | More by KalanM
Brauluver

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Draught version is more cloudy than bottle, but more subdued on hops aroma.

Still got a strong hops/citrus nose though.

Maltiness is subdued and comes through late in a faint backbone.

Hop driven and spritzy with a light mouth feel and citric(grape fruit) zing.

almost too sweet for me but borderline on IBU''s.

Bottled version is more quenching than tap IMHO.

01-28-2006 04:54:41 | More by Brauluver
brewymcgee

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: Golden-Amber with a slight haze with a thin white head after it settles

Aroma: Light, fresh and sweet citrus.

Taste: Sweet malts and a hint of yeast with with a definite lemon zest flavour popping through and a gently bitter finish. Honey creeps though on the aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: A smooth, medium body with a constant bubbly tingle.

Drinkability: A very drinkable and noteworthy pale ale.

05-10-2011 10:05:10 | More by brewymcgee
Cs1987

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Appearance - A cloudy golden colour with a small amount of head.

Smell - Definitely an interesting mixture of fruits in the smell, particularly tropical fruits and melons.

Taste - A good mixture of fruitiness and hoppiness - a somewhat kiwi fruit like flavour.

Mouthfeel - A bitter aftertaste, but otherwise feels great.

Drinkability - You won't have a problem knocking back a few of these, interesting enough not to make you want something more expensive.

Overall - Drinking this in a glass from the bottle was far from the great drinking experience you get from the tap at the Little Creatures brewery, but it is still a great, good value bottled beer.

EDIT - I have tried this a few more times since my first review, and this most definitely deserves a 4.5 for taste.

06-02-2007 13:19:53 | More by Cs1987
madvoice

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Pours an amber colour with a thick creamy head that hangs around for a while. Has a lovely sweet odour, very fruity and hoppy. Tastes just as fruity and hoppy as it smells and its something you want to hold on your tongue and savour. Very smooth and very moreish. Not heavily carbonated either. A very pleasant drop that I will be savouring again in the not too distant future. Most definitely isn't a beer for sharing ;)

05-16-2008 05:42:57 | More by madvoice
Fusion7777

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A sentimental brew for me, as my cousin treated me to this beer for my birthday while I was in Australia. Poured on tap at the Australian Heritage Hotel and paired with a crocodile pizza. Hazy orange with a razor-thin head. A lot going on in this beer, with biscuit, lemon, and oranges the most prominent. Leaves a lingering bite of bitterness. Crisp and sessionable.

02-02-2013 05:50:52 | More by Fusion7777
hoobaga

Singapore

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a pint glass (the bottle says to pour into a glass and shows a picture of a pint glass)

Appearance: Nice deep golden amber color, with a 2 finger head that quickly settles down into a thin layer on top of the beer. Moderate amount of carbonation visible.
Minor about of lacing.

Smell: First thing that hits me is citrus. Mmm.
Citrusy, but with depth. Has a nice malt tang at the back of the nose.
Whilst smelling this, I'm trying not to take a big gulp.
Isn't strong smelling though. Had to stick my nose quite deep into the glass to pick up everything.

Taste: Here comes the good part, oh boy!
Sweet malty flavors all round my mouth. Slightly bitter too, more bitter than I expected, and I like that. Still, it is not as bitter as some ales which have hops taking the front.
The malt and hops work together quite well, I don't feel that one is overpowering the other.
Nice plesant bitter finish at the back of my mouth.
Wish there were more hop aroma though.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation isn't too strong and doesn't hide or overpower anything. Medium bodied beer. Doesn't feel too thin but isn't too thick.

Overall:
Great stuff. I'm really glad I went and got a 6 pack. Wasn't sure if I should have gotten this at first, but looking at the other crappy local beers at the supermarket, I decided to just grab this to try.
A beer with flavor that is easy to drink, and goes down well.

However, kinda pricey where I live (~23usd). A 6 pack of guinness costs ~18usd here. Singapore is a sad place.
This puts me off from buying this all the time to a rotational basis I guess. *le sigh*

07-06-2011 10:13:20 | More by hoobaga
jjkatter

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

568ml bottle poured into a goblet...

A- golden color and pretty clear. A bit of a white heas that settles quickly.

S- plenty of hops with an apple and caramel

T- very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. THAT is a big compliment. Fresh straw and grapefruit. Nice dry finish.

MF- again, very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Pleasant and inviting. Well balanced.

O- there's a lot to like here. Of the beers I've had from Australia, this ranks in the top 3, and it is widely available. I would recommend this beer and will drink it again.

01-15-2012 07:41:27 | More by jjkatter
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

330ml bottle

Pours with a light amber body, slight haze from the yeast

Smell, strong whiff of cascade, some slight pine coming off. Little touch of yeast on the nose also, some slight malt in the background

Taste, thick piney hops, biscuity hops coming through, some hint of english hops too maybe goldings

A tasty pale ale, reminds me of snpa but perhaps not as smooth

04-04-2006 23:55:03 | More by cypressbob
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

330ml bottle poured into pint glass (like the bottle tells me) dec16 2009

A hazy pale golden with a fingers worth of head that falls quickly to a 1/4 inch film leaving a few patches of lace. you can see the haze in the form of suspended particles all throughout the glass

S bread, pine, mild grapefruit and just a little caramel, pretty well balanced if you ask me

T not far off the smell but not quite as strong, still quite nice and a good example of the style

M crisp and clean with good carbonation that thickens it out a bit

D gone in an instant so that says something

I was stoked on this beer because it was such a nice surprise. I have lived in oz and my girlfriend's from Melbourne and I'm pissed off I never discovered this one while down under. well worth trying with out doubt and I will be drinking this again

12-17-2009 09:45:40 | More by wordemupg
LittleCreature

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Time to revisit an old friend.

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a two fingers of dense, rocky, barely off-white head which took its time disappearing in patches. The colour is a pale amber-orange, very clear with small bubbles rising.

Smell - 4.5
By far the fruitiest beer I have ever smelled that is not actually a fruit beer. Passionfruit is by far the strongest smell, but there is also grapefruit, flowery hops and a little citrus. There is a little bitterness to the smell, but this is mostly overpowered by the fruity sweetness. Wow, this smells even fruitier than I had remembered.

Taste - 4.0
Fruity! At first there is the passionfruit sweetness, which is taken over by a strong citrus bitterness, and a bone dry finish that leaves one longing for another sip. For many this may actually be a little too fruity, but I love it! This may be classified as an EPA, but I feel it is definitely nearer APA in style.

Mouthfeel - 4.0
Moderate carbonation which holds strong over time. Weight in the mouth is moderate to heavy, and has a slightly syruppy feel to it.

Drinkability - 4.5
The number of times I have drank this as a session beer and never tired of the taste, I am close to giving it a 5. Recent samples have tended to be a little too bitter. You wouldn't know it was 5.2% ABV, the taste overwhelms any alcohol flavour.

OVERALL - 4.25
I'm not sure if this is a better bottled example than I tried on my last review, but I was close to giving it a 4.5 for taste, which would have upped the overall score to 4.35! My favourite session beer, one of the best Pale Ales in the world. Well worth the premium over mainstream Aussie beers, so the value is good too.

Edit: It seems to me that LCPA has been somewhat "dumbed down" to make it more approachable to the masses. Not as fruity or as bitter as it used to be, though still very good and one of Australia's best. I now give it a 4.15.

08-02-2007 15:18:13 | More by LittleCreature
ADZA

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I cant lie this is the very first micro beer i reckon i had that took me into my fascination with micro beers in general and to be honest prob started off Australia's growing love and acceptance of micro breweries as an accepted beer to drink as it definately was the pioneer,anyways the beer pours a see thru light redgum honey colour with nice carbonation and even nicer lacing,the aroma is straight up pure fresh,fruity,pine driven hops with a honeyish malt aroma just at the end beautiful just how i remember,it has an above average mouthfeel with a nice piney,passionfruit flavour to it just how APA's should so drinkability is high,prob one of Australias best takes on this style so far and definately our first.

08-21-2009 16:04:34 | More by ADZA