Little Creatures Pale Ale - Little Creatures Brewing Company

Little Creatures Brewing Company visit their website
Australia

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 255 | Reviews: 143

I have been curious about this one for quite a while already; I reccomended it to Junde at Ice Cold Beer while I got myself a Leffe Brune. I had a sip from his glass and after that got myself a bottle to go so that I could review it at the comfort of my own home; good tasting conditions and with my notebook where I could take down notes as I drink it. LCPA is listed as a Pale Ale but I think it is closer to an IPA due to its well-hopped nature and good amount of bitterness. This beer pours out a slightly off shade, golden orange with an average one inch head that retains rather well. It finally reduces to a thin layer of creamy foam clinging onto the edge of the glass. The smell starts of with aromatic floral hops and I could also sense some fruits and yeast; the floral/perfumy hops aroma goes pretty strong on this one and I could really appreciate it. I took a sip and the first taste that hits me is an obvious taste of passion fruit; it was like the moment it entered my mouth, I said passion fruit out loud. There is also a nice citrus backing to the taste and I could detect some malts towards the finish. The finish was bitter dry and the bitterness was somewhat analagous to that of an IPA; it is understandably well hopped. At the finish, it leaves lot's of fruity aromas on the nose with a malt backing down running down my palates. The bitterness stays with the after taste of grapes and citrus which is
pretty faint compared to the Belgian dark ales though it does linger. The mouthfeel of the LCPA is between medium to light bodied and carbonation was on a slightly high level which was alright. It has a fine and smooth texture which allows the beer to go down smooth and
dry; good drinkability on this one. I am not a big fan of Aussie beers and my favourite Aus beer has always been the Coopers Sparkling ale though I believe that this one does go close. Indeed, it is reckoned as one of the most popular Australian craft beers.

3.55/5  rDev -11.9%

Easily one of Australia's nicest beers.

Appearance: Light amber, with slight foam head.

Smell: Fruity aroma that lingers.

Taste: Slight hoppy taste, with very fruity finish.

Mothfeel: Good, not too carbonated.

Drinkability: Good, easily drinkable in heathy quantities. Although a little pricey for an australian beer.

Just re-editing my review because my taste in beer has changed. Still a great beer, I just feel, that I gave it too high a score.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A sentimental brew for me, as my cousin treated me to this beer for my birthday while I was in Australia. Poured on tap at the Australian Heritage Hotel and paired with a crocodile pizza. Hazy orange with a razor-thin head. A lot going on in this beer, with biscuit, lemon, and oranges the most prominent. Leaves a lingering bite of bitterness. Crisp and sessionable.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

The bottled is great and having on tap is a rare treat. I've had it on draught at many pubs and really enjoyed it. The only strange thing is it isn't quite as good at the brewery in Fremantle for some reason.

The taste profile is enjoyably complex with touches of citrus, orange and lemon all falling over one another. There is a nice amount of carbonation for an ale (as opposed to hand pulled english ales).

This little beauty is seems to be a unique cross between an American and an English Pale ale. Honed to perfection!

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Well I’m not a HUGE fan of Pale Ales but I do like to try them out from time to time. Hearing good things about this number from this site and a friend I was looking forward to trying this one.

Poured a nice golden colour which was very inviting with a white head. I looked to have decent carbonisation with 1/2 inch of head which dropped very fast to nothing. However the beer was quite a nice strangley inviting amber.

The smell was fruity, with hints of honey or citrus fruits. A definite fresh clean hop smell was prominent. Quite fruit and really quite nice. Perfect balance of flavours. Aftertaste was great. Bitter and fresh but with a nice fruit flavour still present.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

568ml bottle poured into a goblet...

A- golden color and pretty clear. A bit of a white heas that settles quickly.

S- plenty of hops with an apple and caramel

T- very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. THAT is a big compliment. Fresh straw and grapefruit. Nice dry finish.

MF- again, very much like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Pleasant and inviting. Well balanced.

O- there's a lot to like here. Of the beers I've had from Australia, this ranks in the top 3, and it is widely available. I would recommend this beer and will drink it again.

Bottle & on Tap in Adelaide & Darwin Australia - May 2010

This was an exceptional brew and the best one I experienced in Australia & New Zealand. I toured the Coopers brewery and tried their entire lineup. I visited several smaller brew pubs and tasted many local beers.

Little Creatures is one of my favorite beers. I only wish I could get it in Pennsylvania - USA : (

A- Beautiful hazy golden orange
S -Bountiful citrus-piney hops - a gorgeously dry hopped pale ale
T -Deliciously balanced, dry, crisp, light. An amazing session ale.
M - Light, nicely carbed, creamy, cask like
Overall - My favorite Pale Ale outside of the US!

I may have to beg my Australian friends to send me a case or two!

Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - A cloudy golden colour with a small amount of head.

Smell - Definitely an interesting mixture of fruits in the smell, particularly tropical fruits and melons.

Taste - A good mixture of fruitiness and hoppiness - a somewhat kiwi fruit like flavour.

Mouthfeel - A bitter aftertaste, but otherwise feels great.

Drinkability - You won't have a problem knocking back a few of these, interesting enough not to make you want something more expensive.

Overall - Drinking this in a glass from the bottle was far from the great drinking experience you get from the tap at the Little Creatures brewery, but it is still a great, good value bottled beer.

EDIT - I have tried this a few more times since my first review, and this most definitely deserves a 4.5 for taste.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured golden amber, with a frothy head that held good sudsy lacing. Very feminine ale...aroma was full of floral notes - musk lollies / pinkish. Not too much maltiness in smell,more floral hops.
The taste...well...musky, flowery, fruity, sweet, & then to top it off, good bitterness to finish. This has good complexity & very enjoyable.
The mouthfeel for a pale ale was very light & alive
Drinkabilty was incredibly inviting as well, it was like I was chewing on musk lollies & more...but finished beautifully with hop bitterness.
Just a really nice Pale Ale that is perfumed, fruity & light enough to want to go back for more than 1.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

2.92/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a 568ml bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pale amber, minimal head.

S - Fairly hoppy with some sweet yeast, honey & bread as well.

T - Strong and bitter. Really struggling to get much out of this other than yeast and hops..

M - Very full flavoured in the mouth but surprisingly bitter. Bitter all the way down with some sourness at the end.

D - The sourness is a real killer. The bitterness is hardly endearing as well.

Had heard good things about this brewery but this beer certainly doesn't live up to them. As there is some secondary fermentation in this beer it's possible I just got a bad one.. but alas I'm not in a rush to drink this again any time soon. Note: the sourness did fade somewhat as it warmed.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Poured a pale golden amber colour with two finger head that dissipates fairly quickly to a thin layer

S - Instant citrus aroma and a little hoppy.

T - Passionfruit and citrus flavours shine through. Fairly hoppy but well balanced. Get a little bitterness at the end.

M - Light to medium body with good carbonation

O - A very refreshing beer that is great in hot climates, being very easy to drink.

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%

Light orange, slightly murky. Nose it a little austere, a bit hoppy and a bit citrussy. Serious palate, quite hoppy and finishes firm. Nice citrus traits run througout giving the beer a sharp feel. A bit too much fizz took the edge off a higher score. I think on some tastes this can look a touch sweet and cloying but probably a minor quible.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I first tried Little Creatures last year during the first part our honeymoon in Western Australia (WA) at Settler's Tavern in Margaret River on a recommendation from the bartender - then ended up picking up a 6-pack for our cottage fridge for the week.

We then actually ended up spending an evening, towards the end of our trip, chilling on the deck of their Fremantle (or Freo as they call it, Australians seem to shorten nearly every word) brewpub. We had just discovered that we were expecting a child so my wife, Jess, drank water as I managed to sneak in a quick pint or two. The food looked great, but it was slamming busy and we were way too hungry to wait - so we ate elsewhere. In retrospect, I wish we would've spent more time digging into their food and beers. Highly recommend stop if you find yourself in WA.

So, you can say I'm a Little Creatures fan and this isn't a new discovery, but it's a great reintroduction to the burgeoning craft beer scene in Australia and a delicious beer.

Light & hoppy. Refreshing bitter notes and a clean mouthfeel. Well-crafted, this is an everyday beer; it doesn't demand your attention, it just has it.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow amber with a crisp white head that lasts quite a while, leaving no lacing, there seems to be some small floating yeast particles in it at closer inspection actually, not sure if I like it or not.

Smells of mellow and robust hops, without being in your face or overly aromatic, with a distinct hint of white bread and hay, pretty fresh, butnot that usual thing you get from a typical APA, I also get an ever so slight hint of non-perfumed detergent. Alot more complex and interesting than most APAs.

Taste is slightly reserved, at first, but then some nice herbal hops spring forth, caressing your tastebuds with light floral citru. A very elegant hoppyness here, not at all the usual suspects like grapefruit or tropical simcoe-stuff, this is alot more down-to-earth, I would guess that there are some noble hops in this, or at least some of the mutated noble hop varieties they have on New Zeeland, but its damn delicious, really an elegant and smooth taste profile. The hops are balanced out really well by a white breadiness from the malts.

Mouthfeel is actually a little bit sticky, which takes away some of the refreshing feeling I otherwise get from this brew.

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

have not had this beer for ages, so lets see how we go

L- Pours a really light amber, with about a half an inch of head that is taking a really long time to subside, never really leaving, with the tiniest bit of lacing. looks pretty damn good

s-mainly just getting a nice hit of hops upfront, quite grassy, a faint sweetness is detectable but is really hidden by the hops.

t-upront one gets the tiniest sweet malty biscuit, before the grassy hops come on. Pretty gutsy this one, and rather bitter, more so than i remember. after a little bit the malt comes through a bit more, a slight golden syrupy sweetness along with the biscuit, furthermore it has a relatively long finish. This is pretty good, more going on here than i remember.

m- initially it really tingles on the middle of the tongue, but as the bitterness comes to the for it is all at the back. smooth the entire way through though, and you can feel it for a while after each sip.

D- YES! i could definitely see myself being able to get through a whole bunch of these.

Overall, i am surprised with how much i enjoyed this one. But im really glad i had this.

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

I drink this stuff all the time, but I'm home by myself and just got fired so can't afford the heavier and inevitably more expensive beers the current weather demands... time to review.

Until recently this was classified on this site as an EPA and was overall 2nd in that particular category. It's NOT an EPA, but I believe the high ranking was justified. I haven't tried Hop Trip or Alpha King Kong or whatever it's up against now, because unlike most folks on this site I don't live in the US, but I'd put this up against any of those blind, national pride be damned, because man, this shit is delicious.

Pours a not-entirely-clear light amber without much head. Very inviting, nonetheless.

Aroma of fresh-mowed lawn, pine resin, girly shampoo, citrus & flowers.

Maltier than the nose would have you believe, pilsener caramel with huge tropical fruit flavors - lychee, passionfruit, a taste like ripe pineapple smells but doesn't necessarily taste like (if that makes sense). Dances on the edge of perfume-like, but doesn't tip over and thus never becomes sickly.

Almost perfect balance, but
the only problem I have with it is that the flavor drops off pretty quickly... there's a *slight* watery quality to it. Adds to drinkability, detracts from taste, I guess. The Little Creatures Bright Ale, for those who were wondering, is essentially the same beer but with more carbonation and less bittering, or so it seems - the same big hoppy flavors straight up but with absolutley no aftertaste. The girly version, I guess.

Finishes with a lingering bitterness that's surprisingly up-front (and most welcome) after the tropical explosion that is the initial taste. Medium bodied and carbonated just right (on tap perhaps, a bit much).

This will err on the side of less or more drinkable depending on who you are - some might feel it's a bit much. Not me. Every time I have a slab of this in the fridge it disappears in no time. Almost as widely available as all the big Aussie macros and immeasurably better. Most people's first Aussie craft beer, and one that's not often bettered.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Little Creatures Pale Ale from Little Creatures Brewing Company