Little Creatures Pale Ale - Little Creatures Brewing Company

Little Creatures Brewing Company visit their website
Australia

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Little Creatures Pale Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 146
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

A: light to mid amber colouring with approx 1cm clean white head diminishing to a thin layer of white across the beer. small amount of carbonation appearance that is clear to the eye.

S: like an abundance of hops has been picked up and slammed into a bottle but with no overwhelming presence it seems, meaning just very distinct in what they are using.. chinook! orange rind is the predominant feature on the nose.

T: i love this beer. session-able with a great hop front that clears away pleasingly leaving a linger that you dont want to get rid of. reasonably well balanced and a carbonation that isnt over power but quit pleasant. big sips are welcome on this. this stacks up with the best of them! passion-fruit, peach and lime are jumping around on my tongue! VANILLA!

M: definitely not light bodied in any way but not quite mid feel. comfortable carbonation consistency.

O: personally i could bathe in this bad boy! love it! little creatures has done something pretty superb and i think most who have had this will see it! currently enjoying it while watching the game with a mate. what better way to do it

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

This beer is reason enough to visit Australia. A beautiful beer that is dry-hopped giving it a fantastic aroma and flavor that is never bitter.

This beer is a bit on the light side yet has lots of flavor. This is a big winner. Having this beer in Perth (Near Fremantel where its made) was a pleasure. The aromas and flavor were considerably better that the same beer in Sydney.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured out a cloudy orange colour with two fingers of white head. The head faded slowly to next to nothing. There was no carbonation to speak of.

It smelled sweet, with some citrus.

The taste was rich & earthy with a lingering bitterness.

I'd heard a lot about this beer and it lived up to it's reputation.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

I'm not 100% on how to describe this beer. It's a got a great balanced spicy/ dank hop end. Worth getting for the balance and hop profile. Maybe simcoe hops?

Smells way weaker than it tastes. Very well balanced. Would make a great session ale. A standout. Interesting too as an Aussie take on an apa.

4.07/5  rDev +1%

Bought in Oxford, UK; BB 23/06/2011. Poured quite cool into a goblet.

A - Pale golden yellow, slightly cloudy. Pours with very little head. Doesn't appear very gassy.

S - Subtle for the style. Aromatic floral hops. Peach with a slight hint of melon; as the beer warms, resin starts to dominate.

T - Bitter notes coming through. Dry hoppiness, resiny character which becomes more prominent as the beer warms a little.

M - Compared to the appearance, surprisingly lively and well carbonated. Light and almost thin, perhaps as a result of the relatively cool serving temperature.

D - Easy drinking at 5.2% ABV. Balanced, light but well hopped.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Exactly the way an ale should pour. Large amounts of carbonation, although it this dissapears too along with the head which is initially very thick with nice lacing. Nice amber colour. head is perfectly white.

S - Smells so good I can taste it, citrus, fruits, slightly metallic.

T - Quite bitter, but very very tasty. Notes of citrus are evident.

M - Smooth and velvety, leaves a very nice taste in your mouth afterwards, nice carbonation.

D - One of my favourite beers, ever. I could drink this bottle after bottle. Goes great with seafood.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Little Creatures is one Australian brewery with I am really proud of. They make fantastic products and are driven to make great beer without compromise on quality and have stayed true to the ideals of craft beer. Their interpretation of an APA is one of the best brewed here in Australia and one of my fav beers.

A: Amber in colour with good clarity. The perfect level of carbonation which lends itself to maintaining head retention and lacing on the glass. This also helps push the aromas out of the beer.

S: Beautiful grapefruit citrus aromas with underlying malty sweetness underneath. Clean ferment with no esters present.

T: Pleasant upfront bitterness balanced by a well-rounded malt profile which includes a touch of caramel sweetness. Slight resiny hop flavour as an aftertaste.

M: Med-light bodied with this amount of carbonation makes this beer soft enough that the big malt and hop characteristics aren't too much. Finish in this beer is med and adds to the drinkability.

D: This is very much a session beer. The hops aren't too much that your pallet gets fatigued and the malt / body isn't so that you feel full or bloated.

This is a well-crafted beer and the fresher the better to really get the full benefits of the aroma and liveliness of this great example of an APA.

Cheers,

Liam

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Draught version is more cloudy than bottle, but more subdued on hops aroma.

Still got a strong hops/citrus nose though.

Maltiness is subdued and comes through late in a faint backbone.

Hop driven and spritzy with a light mouth feel and citric(grape fruit) zing.

almost too sweet for me but borderline on IBU''s.

Bottled version is more quenching than tap IMHO.

4.61/5  rDev +14.4%

the best australian beer i've tasted (inc. cooper's line)

pours a beautiful light gold amber with a magnificnt inch and a half tall white head of fine bubbles. medium carbonation, very smooth mouthfeel.

wonderful smooth taste, malt on the top of the palate that becomes sweeter on the sides. faintest aftertaste of bitter hops.

easiest, smoothest drink in the island continent

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Nice beer available both on tap or in bottle almost throughout Australia. Nice hop aroma showing the APA characteristics used to from American hops. Pours a nice golden color and with a nice creamy head as well. Very drinkable and great beer for the warmer weather. One of my go to 6'ers when in Australia.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Fresh 16 oz bottle while in Sydney. This is a remarkable pale ale. It pours a hazy golden orange and provides nice lacing as it goes down. The aroma is lemon and tropical fruit (reminds me of some citra-hopped beers I've brewed). The flavor follows the aroma nicely with light malt sweetness, some mango and well played bitterness. Finish is nice, clean and dry.

I love this pale ale.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours slightly cloudy amber. Very delicate nose of yeast and lemon. Same sort of flavors on the palate, with just a bit of pleasant bitterness and a touch of acidity reminiscent of light Belgian ales. The body is a bit thin and averagely carbonated. Not too much in the excitement department though. The aftertaste is mostly a pleasant refreshing bitterness on the top of the mouth.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

First tried this beer at Grill'd burger restaurant. Surprisingly pleasant first impression with playful fruity aromas and a combination of hops that seem to complement one another. Relatively low carbonation, maybe a little low. Very low bitterness, probably could do with some more in my opinion. Doesn't finish very clean and tends to linger, however makes up for it with its unique hop mouth-feel and sweetness. A nice treat but not perfect and not really a session contender.

Perfect pale ale

3.79/5  rDev -6%

Before I begin, can I just have a girl moment to dork out about the packaging? The cherub thing is too classic. I removed the bottle-cap ever so carefully... it's going to become a pin-back button. Love it.

Ahem. Onward.

Pours oddly light for a pale ale with a smidge of cloudiness, without that faintly coppery color I'm accustomed to. Not much head. Aroma is, according to my notes, "GOOD!" probably because I'd just tasted four dull lagers of varying degrees of skunkiness. Lovely floral and citrus-leaning-toward-orange aromas -- classic hops.

Flavor is well balanced with a good wheat/yeast element, nice citrusy taste, and is quite pleasant. Really enjoyable. Highly drinkable for a person who enjoys this style.

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%

Being from Los Angeles, California, I was completely suprised by this find. I was becoming quite depressed by the lack of beers I found in Sydney that had any assertive hop character. My stay was about a month and I found this beer towards the end and then proceeded to try it as much as possible.

The beer has a similar quality to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Very drinkable, great hop nose and nice crisp taste. Refreshing and great along with Thai and Vietnamese food. Golden Amber with great carbonation. Very nice citrus and earthy/wood undertones. Nice malt / hop balance. A great addition to the normal everyday lagers. I only wish that I had the opportunity to try it on draft. If I could get this in the U.S. I believe it would be in my fridge all of the time.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a pint glass (the bottle says to pour into a glass and shows a picture of a pint glass)

Appearance: Nice deep golden amber color, with a 2 finger head that quickly settles down into a thin layer on top of the beer. Moderate amount of carbonation visible.
Minor about of lacing.

Smell: First thing that hits me is citrus. Mmm.
Citrusy, but with depth. Has a nice malt tang at the back of the nose.
Whilst smelling this, I'm trying not to take a big gulp.
Isn't strong smelling though. Had to stick my nose quite deep into the glass to pick up everything.

Taste: Here comes the good part, oh boy!
Sweet malty flavors all round my mouth. Slightly bitter too, more bitter than I expected, and I like that. Still, it is not as bitter as some ales which have hops taking the front.
The malt and hops work together quite well, I don't feel that one is overpowering the other.
Nice plesant bitter finish at the back of my mouth.
Wish there were more hop aroma though.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation isn't too strong and doesn't hide or overpower anything. Medium bodied beer. Doesn't feel too thin but isn't too thick.

Overall:
Great stuff. I'm really glad I went and got a 6 pack. Wasn't sure if I should have gotten this at first, but looking at the other crappy local beers at the supermarket, I decided to just grab this to try.
A beer with flavor that is easy to drink, and goes down well.

However, kinda pricey where I live (~23usd). A 6 pack of guinness costs ~18usd here. Singapore is a sad place.
This puts me off from buying this all the time to a rotational basis I guess. *le sigh*

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

If you don't like a very strong 'floral' taste you will hate this beer. I find it amazing and my all time favourite. Holds up well in a cold glass. Beer is very expensive in Ausralia. This commands top dollar so ofen buy Cooper's sparkling or their pale ale. I'm a fan of lagers and pilseners.

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%

I discovered this beer in a local pub in Melbourne. Cloudy appearance and chamomile flavor dominates the palate. I haven't had the same pleasure from bottle. So I'm just enjoying this if I find it on tap. There are not much decent Australian beer but I wouldn't say no, comparing other local ales.

3.62/5  rDev -10.2%

Tried on draught woolooloo hotel bar Sydney
Great tasting pale ale but colour a bit hazy

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »