Yokohama XPA Extra Pale Ale - Sankt Gallen Brewery

Yokohama XPA Extra Pale AleYokohama XPA Extra Pale Ale

Sankt Gallen Brewery visit their website
Japan

(Beer added by: shigg85 on 02-28-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.43/5  rDev -14.5%

The aroma is not very appetizing with some grass and pine, bread and caramel, and a touch of orange and grapefruit. The orange-ish gold body is mostly clear, and the head is off-white in color. The flavor is mostly characterized by bitter resin with bready malt beneath the surface. There is also some light fruitiness—orange and grapefruit again. The mouthfeel is smooth and fairly light with light carbonation.

Not very appealing overall. The aroma seems like a confused combination of hops and malt, while the flavor is dominated by the piney, bitter hops but otherwise tastes somewhat watery. Worth another try, at any rate.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

The receptionist at my hostel tells me this beer purports to be made with 'very special water'.

A: Slightly dulled copper body with a lovely white head and great lacing.

S: Generic American IPA smell – orange peel and earthy.

T: Nice and bitter, earthy, sharp and snappy. Dry aswell, but the orange peel finish suggests sweetness. Some tea in there.

M: Quite fizzy.

O: A decent but very generic American IPA.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.6/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my 200th different brew! Having a UK pint of this cask brew at Vivo in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Clazziquai Project is singing a funky Korean slow-jam into my ears as I enjoy this foggy Gucci leather-colored pale ale. Nice and frothy, cream-colored head on this with a mouthfeel like whipped butter. Wonderful hop scent strolling over the rim of this brew. Beautiful lacing around the glass like a hyena, all mixed up between spots and stripes and random patterns. Keeps a memorable residue on my lips, inviting me to keep tasting it in its traces. Mikan orange and yuzu come through this brew... a distinctly Japanese flavor. As I drink this, it gets smoother and smoother like egg pudding. The lacing reminds me of the varying strata of the Grand Canyon now, telling the story of my sips like the eons of our land's history. As the beer starts to take effect, Crazy Ken Band suavely comes singing of Monte Carlo and Yokohama, coincidentally referencing the brew I'm drinking now. Perfect timing. The upbeat track matches the increasing tingle through my thighs that makes me want to shake my hips on a dance floor. As I read the description of this beer here at Vivo, it says this brew was in the category for the 2011 World Beer Award for World Best IPA. It is definitely an excellent brew in my opinion. Cornelius' "Like a Rolling Stone" comes on as I finish this fruity, hoppy, complex, wonderful brew. Highly recommended as a whole and definitely compared to other American IPAs.

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into my little hotel tumbler

Pours clear golden with a coppery ting, medium sized light beige head that clumps and clings along the edge of the glass, plenty of carbonation action. Smell is grapefruit and flowers, but mild.

Taste is grapefruit rind bitterness with some orangey sweetness behind it.

Mouthfeel is dry and light. Overall, I like it. Not terribly exciting, but good.

Yokohama XPA Extra Pale Ale from Sankt Gallen Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.