1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Modelo Especial - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo EspecialModelo Especial

poor

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modelo Especial Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,294 | Reviews: 470 | Show All Ratings:
Brent

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -62.5%

Thinner than most "lite" beers, if you dilute one Corona in a gallon of seltzer, you've pretty much got this beer.

08-22-2001 20:59:57 | More by Brent
deejaydan

1.23/5  rDev -56.1%

Wow, that's some clear beer. Pretty big frothy head on this monster. Tiny bubbles streaming from below through it. The head is thin, not packed, but fluffy, would be the word I use to describe it.
The aroma. Bad. Like sweaty socks mixed with some skunkweed. Taste isn't much better. Mouthfeel is thin, even for an adjunct lager. I've had my share of adjunct lagers in my day, and usually there isn't much taste there, and what there taste is there is usually bland, or at least inoffensive. But this is a real stinker. I don't think you could pay me enough to drink this again.

02-14-2005 21:31:11 | More by deejaydan
hero27

1.23/5  rDev -56.1%

12 oz bottle.

100% clear yellow with slow streams of carbonation. You could read 8pt arial font through this beer. Brutal skunk as soon as the cap is off...makes Corona smell like a bouquet of roses. I wish i could say something good, but this is just awful. The taste is very light, grassy, and impressively bland. I know this particular beer has pretty good turnaround from the store I bought this from, so it's not like it was sitting on the shelf for 8 months. I've had this brew on several occasions and it's never been good, just varies in how much skunkiness will ensue as soon as you dare to open it.
Why waste your time?

02-16-2006 03:10:01 | More by hero27
RoyalT

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

Appearance – Yellow with an orangish tinge and a medium-sized head that disappeared without a trace in seconds.

Smell – I can’t really make out this one. It smells vegetal. Whatever it is, it’s not beer.

Taste – This is definitely not to my liking. I can’t pick out any typical beer flavors like hops, malts, grain, or sweetness of any kind. It’s almost like drinking pureed cauliflour or lawn grass. It’s not skunked, though. I just can’t figure out what they put in it.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation isn’t bad, but I’m going to be apologizing to my tongue for weeks.

Drinkability – You could sell this at a stand in the middle of the Sahara desert and wounded, sick, emaciated, nomads would walk right by it. But, it sells like crazy so what do I know.

Comments – I hate to offer nothing constructive, and I know some of the other BAs found things to like about it, but I just can’t write anything in all honesty even remotely favorable about this especial brew. I thought it estunk.

08-29-2003 00:28:07 | More by RoyalT
TastyTaste

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

Oh good, a lager brewed by Grupo Modelo I can hardly wait. A clear gold color, with a large head at first, which fades to almost nothing. Smell is oh so skunky, really bad grassy malt. Taste is sweet, watery, metallic and pretty gross. Yuck, no hops overall pretty bad. Mouthfeel is very watery, drinkability utterly aweful.

05-02-2005 22:56:14 | More by TastyTaste
WVbeergeek

1.27/5  rDev -54.6%

Pale yellow straw golden body with a wispy thin white head. Fine speckled lacing lines the sides of my pint glass. Aroma has cooked veggies/pale malt/corn sweetness. Flavor is sweet with a harsh finish not very crisp alot of DME. Cooked corn/somewhat metallic finish. This is a bad beer but not as bad from the clear bottles with a lime. Straight up from a can this beer is pretty much one of the worst of I've come across. Mouthfeel is fizzy carbonated water texture with nothing redeeming about it. Drinkability sucks, cover it up with lime or just go with Negra Modelo.

01-18-2011 01:44:33 | More by WVbeergeek
Dogbrick

1.33/5  rDev -52.5%

This certainly wasn't very "especial". This may be even worse than Corona. Vile, repugnant smell. No redeeming qualities in the flavor. Truly heinous. Another contender in the "crap Mexican beer" contest.

11-06-2002 15:31:58 | More by Dogbrick
Overlord

1.33/5  rDev -52.5%

"Especial" my fucking ass.

Pours a watery golden corn yellow. Aggressive yielded a few bubbles. Smells like ... skunked corn malt. Ugh.

Taste is veggie waste mixed with skunk corn. Just completely unpalatable, and with the consistency of club soda. So. Bad.

12-26-2008 05:07:03 | More by Overlord
magictrokini

1.35/5  rDev -51.8%

Had this in a can on a plane to Cabo. The appearance of the stewardess that gave me the beer was incredible, the beer was not. Pours a fake clear gold with a sad bubbly head. Couldn't detect an aroma over my cigarette, yes it was AeroMexico! Brutal ass-in-mouth veggie and metal taste. Just a south-of-the-border version of Meister Brau. Of course, this did not stop me from having about 8, accompanied by the requisite tequila. Upon landing, I immediately regretted my decision as I deposited this fine pale lager all over the tarmac. Avoid.

12-09-2008 00:21:53 | More by magictrokini
Fenris244

1.38/5  rDev -50.7%

Pours a super clear light yellow color, no head lots of fizz.

Skunked straight up skunk

Kinda like old fruit, bubble gum and something rotten really unpleasant.

Slick on the palate, the forced carbonation us a bit to much for me.

Why? Seriously why? Do my friends think this is classy or something? Never again

04-30-2011 00:28:53 | More by Fenris244
Hunter

Arizona

1.4/5  rDev -50%

Appearance: Deep amber brew with little carbonation. Pillowy head of white foam that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Very little here. Some hint of malt, stale cardboard off notes.

Taste: Follows the smell. Utterly tasteless.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery.

Drinkability: Drinkable, but why when so much else is out there?

03-14-2006 22:48:08 | More by Hunter
CampusCrew

1.48/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was in a all inclusive hotel in Mexico and they had this in the hotel room. Opened up just to try. 3 sips and drain pour. Tasted like Busch to me. No better than our macro crap offerings in the the states.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: nope

04-23-2009 15:11:42 | More by CampusCrew
Brad007

Vermont

1.58/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a golden color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Seems typical for the style.

Aroma is sweet with a hint of corn in the nose. Otherwise, just sweet and not much else.

Sweet with a hint of corn and malt upfront. Not much else to detect for flavor. Simplistic. Boring.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweet malt and corn. Not much there. Watery. Unimpressive.

Your average adjunct lager here. Definitely nothing to brag about.

03-14-2009 01:26:16 | More by Brad007
likestoswallow

1.68/5  rDev -40%

24 oz can. Pours a nice yellow gold, with a white head that quickly disappears. No mention-worthy aroma or flavor detected. This stuff is bland, bland, and bland. Mouthfeel is thin and watery with some slight fizz from artificial carbonation. Finishes with sour chemical off-flavors. This is one of the weakest beers I have ever sampled, makes Bud look like speedway stout. Overall: not recommended.

10-19-2007 18:17:37 | More by likestoswallow
stumac

1.68/5  rDev -40%

I just wanna start off by saying this beer sucks. Melani has been squeezing limes into my glass with each beer and its better than just straight beer. Pitiful...

this brew pours up a pale honey gold color with a small quickly fading head. the nose is very faint aroma, corn oil, faint malts and faint hops, nothing out of the box. the taste is water, tiny malt backdrop, faint hop bittering, a syrupy taste is left in my mouth, light bodied (leaning towards medium because of the syrup), non-natural CO2 carbo. Not a pretty beer.

Did you know that there are pro beer drinkers that drink their beer only out of the bottle. A beer like this might be like heaven to them and beer like Anchor Porter might be like hell. Nutso...

04-21-2009 02:53:55 | More by stumac
larryi86

Delaware

12 oz bottle that was given to me by friend, figured I would give it a try

A- Clear yellow with gold tint and a head that disappears very quickly so don't blink.

S- Light, malts and grains with a hint of lime.

T- I would say it is a watered down version of the smell, but I feel that is giving it too much flavor. No taste lingers. I probably could reproduce the flavor by by squeezing and lime into ice water and straining it through malts.

M- Light, water.

D- I would never buy this beer. If and only if I had to get something like this I would grab a PBR or a High Life. Better than standard BMC but not by much; I was able to finish it, which is more than I can say about the last Miller Lite I had. The only good things about this beer are, it reminds me why I drink quality craft beer, and it really clears your palate.

10-23-2010 01:39:02 | More by larryi86
BeerBelcher

1.7/5  rDev -39.3%

I've consumed enough beer at Mexican restaurants to have had this beer before, but I'd never really thought about what it tasted like and actually thought to compare to...other beers.

Appearance is slightly darker than most mainstream American lagers. There is little to no head and no lacing of any kind. Nothing about this particular example of this beer indicates that anything special went into this beer (this is from a can). Smell is practically non-existent. Taste is very much of corn, and is rather sweet, like Coors Light. The next time I have Mexican food, I suspect I'll save myself a few $$'s and drink something domestic instead...it won't be missed.

10-25-2006 02:04:43 | More by BeerBelcher
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

1.7/5  rDev -39.3%

Appearance- Pours a pale yellow color with significant carbonation and little head.

Smell- For a macro this smell suprisingly spicy, but still hints of that stale beer smell and a hint of skunk, it was a clear bottle afterall.

Taste- Incredibly thin taste, this beer tastes like carbonated water with a hint of fermented rice water.

Mouthfeel- Again very thin and watery.

Drinkability- Skip this beer.

12-12-2007 03:54:43 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
dogfishandi

1.71/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12oz can at fridge temp poured into a pint glass.

Purs out a bright golden yellow color, kinda what my pee looks like after I drink an energy drink. Big, fizzy white head quickly fades to a super thin, patchy, soapy layer. Super clear.

Smells like absolutely nothing. Maybe the slightest buttered corny grains.

Mineral water, hose water, slightest buttered sweet grain.

Thin, watery, but not really overcharged like most.

Worst than most macro lagers. AVOID!

04-23-2013 20:32:29 | More by dogfishandi
dnichols

Washington

1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

I poured a 24 ounce can into a large mug.

A: It poured a clear yellow with a bit of orange accent and a modest bone white head (hardly half a finger despite an aggressive pour) that rapidly disappeared leaving nothing to lace the glass.

S: I pick up a hint of sweet malts but otherwise I find it hard to detect any aroma.

T: My, my this is a strange brew. There is a bit of sweetness early in the sip but it doesn't taste of malt. There is a bit of bitterness but it is not characteristic of hops. Finally, there is a hint of citrus but it is so faint I cannot characterize the origin.

M: There is a decent amount of carbonation that continues long into the experience however, it is predominately an ultra light, watery brew. There is not much of a dry or sour aftertaste but then again there is not much taste to this beer.

D: I could drink this all day long on a hot beech in Mexico...in fact if it were the only option to water I would do it...but given a choice I would find it hard to say give me a Modelo.

Comments: There are few positives to recommend this beer. Like it's American lager cousins it is largely tasteless and without merit.

09-29-2007 02:22:55 | More by dnichols
mgeraci

Indiana

1.73/5  rDev -38.2%

This beer is nothing horrible by any means. A step up from the everyday maybe, but nothing more than another Corona. I call this an alternative to Corona when someone wants a variety. The smell is almost identical and the taste is quite similar along with the color and consistency. One that is worth trying for the money but nothing special by any stretch of the imagination.

01-31-2012 01:16:45 | More by mgeraci
Knapp85

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

Nothing overly impressive here. The beer was a yellowish golden color with a little bit of head that lasted until you take your first sip then it disappears. There isn't much of anything to say. It smells of malts not much hop aroma. You can probably avoid this beer is you're looking for something more exotic.

03-24-2011 04:11:56 | More by Knapp85
danielharper

1.78/5  rDev -36.4%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

A: Yellow body, slightly orange-tinged with a tiny-to-nonexistent white head. Eventually the head disappears entirely.

S: Upon first opening the bottle, the strong skunky aroma permeated my mucous membranes immediately. Pouring it into my pint glass, the aroma dissipated until it was barely present at all, leaving a sweet corny maltiness. Low rating mainly for that first whiff -- in the glass the beer really is pretty much as-expected.

T: Cloyingly sweet, corn-filled flavor. Leaves a nutrasweet-like aftertaste. Blech.

M: Thin, as-expected for the style.

D: Drain-pour. Not quite actively unpleasant, but close.

03-24-2006 21:43:17 | More by danielharper
BerkeleyBeerMan

1.78/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Very weak head. The color is almost honey. It's dark for a lager.

Smell: Skunky even though it was from a can. Not impressive.

Taste: Very sweet. Strong hops. Bitter and astringent, metallic overpowers the malt. Lingers long and doesn't finish well. Ending flavor is situated in the back of the mouth

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and watery.

Drinkability: A refreshing drink for a hot day. I could drink a few of these.

12-05-2010 10:48:09 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
tbern007

Colorado

24oz can.
Clear, bubbly, pale yellow/gold. Very thick head that is gone quickly. No lacing at all.
S- typical grainy pale ale with mild hop and mild citrus.
T - quick mild grain taste. Tastes like a Miller product. Little overall taste.
M & D - might work if very cold. The warmer it gets, it's pretty lousy. Like a macrobrew from one of the big guys. Nothing especial at all.
I bought a 25oz Foster Premium Ale at the same time and for the same price. World of difference and the Modelo wasn't the better by far.

12-20-2010 17:56:22 | More by tbern007
Modelo Especial from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.