Modelo Especial - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo EspecialModelo Especial

poor

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modelo Especial Alström Bros

MerkurKing16, Nov 17, 2011

codynevels, Nov 16, 2011

jrutigs, Nov 16, 2011

JohnnyChicago, Nov 14, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a pint glass. Bought a 12-pack 5 days prior; drank most of it at a frat party while at my alma mater for homecoming.

A: I like the golden/straw color most adjuncts have, but that's usually my favorite part. No real head or lacing though.

S: The grain and metal come through far too much here. This smell automatically makes me think of watching SEC football in a fraternity basement (and being unable to feel my face), and that's not as fun as it used to be.

T: About what you'd expect for an adjunct- barely hoppy, grain flavors, kind of bland. I don't mind it very much, but there's a whole lot better. I think it tastes "like beer," but that's because my first 4 or 5 years of drinking beer were nothing but macro lagers.

M: Not really anything to report. Not offensive, though.

O: It works. Not much else to it.

wcpmohr88, Nov 10, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Nice appearance, but it lack saturation.
The smell is skunky like Modelo Negro
Taste is not impressive. It's a typical Mexican beer taste.
The mouthfeel has a cheep, light feel to it
Overall, it's about what I expected

Just buy Keystone if you want something light and cheap

Vashtar, Nov 08, 2011
2.85/5  rDev +2.2%

First review so here goes....

Bottle served at my local Chipotle.

Appearance is crystal clear, golden, and with some light bubbles.
Smell, lots of corn and a little bit of a skunk.
Taste, is again corn but not much else. Some light grain. Almost toast flavor. Light hint of alcohol in the after taste. Simple but still much better than other Mexican Lagers I have had. After tasting it went well with the spice of the burrito I was also enjoying.
Mouthfeel was very water with a little of that carbonation sparkle.
Overall pretty good but nothing crazy exciting.

Stpeterowdy10, Nov 02, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +6.8%

2.00 Cans at a taco shop across the street. Why not.

Poured into a Mug

Appearance-Yellow straw color with a small off white head that is gone in a second. Mimimal lacing, you know what your getting...

Smell-Very bland, some wheat and grain.

Taste-Pretty clean and crisp. Lots of grain, No corn adjunct's noticable. Kind of sweet, some light malt.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, moderate to high carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

Overall-It's alright, I would prefer this over a lot of other adjuncts.

SWMeyer4141, Oct 29, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz. can poured into a Red Hook Limited glass.

The first thing I noticed was the explosive amount of carbonation. Next, the quickly dissipating head. Yellow-gold in color. Not much of a smell to it but lacks the skunkiness of domestic macro lagers, so a good sign.

Taste is lacking but inoffensive. Nice crisp finish. I've taken a liking to Modelo as a go-to beer for cookouts and other outdoor activities. Clearly better then the Buds and Coors of the world.

Celtics76, Sep 30, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

Thin straw colored pour, no head or lacing to speak of. The nose is underwhelming a little corn and cereal scents, better than you’d expect from a canned beer. Flavor is mixed cereal, grains corn etc. nothing great but certainly not offensive. Thin mouthfeel, seltzer texture, which is to be expected from a macro. Overall its good for an American macro but nothing special, good for a day at the beach.

BrewMaester, Sep 14, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

Ice cold from the can a little after 11 during my summer league softball game (so I have no idea what it looked like, although I could probably hazard a guess). Aromas of straw, graininess, light citrus and a hint of skunk. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of light straw, light graininess and hint of citrus with a crisp clean finish.

emmasdad, Sep 12, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

Who would have thought Id ever pour a can into a glass?

Bright yellow with soda pop fizziness. Head disappears instantaneously. Carbonation is average. If it had a head, itd be a decent looking beer.

Smell fits the style. no hops. Sweet malt. Corn sweetness.

Taste is what I picture Corn Pops cereal would taste like if they fermented it. Sweet, light, and airy. Hops are no where, but it much more smooth than other AALs. Goes down very easily with little bite. Best AAL in my book.

It doesnt really leave any kind of bad taste in your mouth. Much room for improvement, but not a bad base.

Easy drinking beer that screams pool or beach.

VncentLIFE, Sep 11, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at Mi Pueblo on Taco Tuesday and Happy Hour.

A: Light gold colored. Little head or lacing.

S: Light grains. Corn. Not much else.

T & M: Damn it! Not bad. Light and crisp. The flavors are slightly better than the nose. Very crisp. Nice and enjoyable.

O: I will never buy this except during happy hour on Taco Tuesday. I have to admit, I don't hate it.

avaldivia, Sep 07, 2011
3.03/5  rDev +8.6%

A clear golden amber in appearance with a thin off white head. Smells vaguely of cereal grains. Taste is a hint of fresh lager yeast, followed by some sweet bread. A hint of bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, high carbonation. Overall decent, I've had a lot worse.

tronester, Sep 05, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a bright clear golden straw color. Does not provide much a foam head. There is no lacing.

S: There is some corn, light roasted white toast and grain. More potent than other adjuncts I have had.

T: Starts and finishes the same way. Not overly complex but had more flavor than I expected. Mostly of corn, toast, grains and lightly roasted nuts.

M: Very light and typical of an adjunct. A little thin and watery.

O: This is a little bit better than most adjuncts I have had.

IronCitySteve, Aug 28, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a Victoria pint glass I dug up from the back of the cupboard. It says "todo con medida" - indeed!

Pours clear, a nice golden straw color with a half inch head that quickly dissipates. Basically what you'd expect from a Mexican lager - maybe a touch darker.

Smells like cornflakes and a hint of frutiness - again, what I expect from a Mexican lager. Honestly, I really like the way it smells. The alcohol comes out as it warms, which is a bit surprising considering the ABV is only 4.5%.

The taste disappoints a bit, though. None of the malty corn flavor comes through, and it's that same soapy mineral water thing that I keep finding, with a bit of a metallic finish. The alcohol comes through - but at 4.5% ABV, how?

As it warms, I'll be damned if I don't smell and taste cherries... no, it's exactly Jergens cherry almond lotion. What? This is weird. (Strangely pleasant though... I know, right?)

Mouthfeel is fine; decent if coarse carbonation and a not-overly-watery body.

Overall - this beer smells a lot better than it tastes.

lisomiso, Aug 27, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

Fancy and strange 12 oz bottle, into a pint glass

A - Fizzy Yellow liquid, about a 1/2 in of head with some activity.

S - Metal and corn, some grassy hops, a bit harsh

T - Corn and light barley malt nice dry grassy hopped finish

M - Nice amount of smoothness and carbonation, really clean

O - A good beer for when you just want a plain beer

DrewSnyc667, Aug 23, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

Just got done mowing the lawn and I figured it was the best time to try the Modelo Especial...and I was probably right. The appearance is Golden clear color with dissipating carbonation and head. The smell is semi-sweet with grain and alcohol undertones. The taste is typical of most beers in this genre and is fairly smooth. I don't mind it but if there was something else more interesting I would take that.

WoodBrew, Aug 19, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +22.9%

When I go slumming these days, I love me some Modelo Especial. When I was in college, my friends and I would binge with Tecate. I did a side by side the other night with Tecate vs Modelo Especial. There was no contest.

Let's be honest: this is a Mexican Pilsner Beer. If you judge it as such, it is a perfect example. Light, Crisp, Refreshing and Portable!

rcfunk, Aug 19, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a clear golden yellow with 1/4" of frothy head with decent retention. Smells grainy and skunky but with little else of note. Taste is sweet cereal grains and corn with a very mild hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, and clean.

Mediocre, forgettable.

tdm168, Aug 13, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear and golden color with a very thin off-white head.

S: A little bit (ok, a lot) of skunk with a little lemon and hint of grassy hops.

T: Pretty smooth with some light pale malt flavor and a bit of a hop sourness. Went well with some chicken tacos.

notchucknorris, Aug 12, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a pale amber color with little foam or head. Nothing especial!!

I get a slight salty smell and slight hioppiness and an underlying sweetness.

This beer goes down easy! Tastes like most mexican beers but probably my favorite. Smooth and refreshing saltiness that is covered by some small hop flavor and tang.

Not too bad for a nice refreshing summer beer, but nothing special.

Cheers.

ryantho00, Aug 12, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Modelo especial pours a crystal clear lightish gold with almost no head. The aroma is mildly sweet and grainy. The flavor is pretty much the same, no off flavors to speak of, but nothing really interesting going on either. Overall there is nothing wrong with the beer, but thats the best I can really say about it.

ericj551, Aug 07, 2011

L - pale yellow, clear, looks like an adjunct. a thin white head that evaporated quickly. no lacing to speak of.

S - corn husk, cereal grain? there's also a lime-like smell that is unsettling...almost astringent.

T - the aforementioned lime smell was unfortunately pretty dominant in the taste. not much else to speak of. pretty bland otherwise.

F - thin and watery. surprisingly less carbonated than soda.

O - i'd rather have something else to wash down mexican food, i couldn't get over the strange chemical flavor.

todrown, Aug 06, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was left in my fridge after a party, otherwise I would never consider purchasing. However, after drinking it, I plan on buying myself a pack on occassion. It poured a head of foam that vanished fairly quickly on top of the lightly colored liquid. I have never really enjoyed a Corona which made me skeptical of this taste, but I very much enjoyed it. It felt good from the start to the finish.

BEERME528, Aug 01, 2011
Modelo Especial from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.