1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Reviews by Kroehny_Loves_Hops:

Kroehny_Loves_Hops, May 08, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

cam477, Aug 26, 2013
2.95/5  rDev +27.7%

Before I knew about hefe-weizen, I drank a lot of Coronas in the summer. I drink far fewer now but I still enjoy the taste of the beer as long as there’s a lot of lime in it.

Appearance: Cororna looks as bad as a beer can possibly look. It looks like piss.

Smell: Corona smells like skunk piss.

Taste: (with a lime) Corona tastes like being on a boat. It tastes like the beach. It tastes like having a hot young woman by your side in a bikini.

Seriously, pardon the juvenile figurative language but that’s what Corona tastes like to me and it always will.

I believe that there is something to be said about beers that evoke powerful memories. Corona does this for me and so for better or worse I like the taste of the skunky urine juice.

Without a lime, however, Corona tastes like you took a jar of water, dropped some rotten corn husks in it, left it in the sun for a couple days, froze it, and then put it back in the sun before filtering and bottling. It’s crap without lime.

I'm not some anal purist who thinks that lime is cheating. Adding an orange ot a Blue Moon to make it suck less is fine, adding a lemon to certain wheats to improve on them is fine, and adding a lime to a Cororna is manditory.

Mouthfeel: What mouthfeel? It feels like tap water.

Drinkability: At parties in the summer where my options are Miller Lite from the keg or Corona from the fridge, I can happily drink a half dozen of these perros or more without feeling much of anything. Gotta have about 5 limes wedged in to the last one if you’re gonna drink that many though.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 23, 2005
1.94/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

I don't think I've ever poured this into a glass. You can see right through it, anyway, thanks to the clear bottle. It's the color of a well-hydrated man's piss, and I would imagine any kind of "head" that forms disappears within seconds. The smell is.... well, the smell is kind of absent, to say the least. Corn, graininess, and a metallic tone. What I usually do is squeeze and drop a lime wedge into this one. Then it just smells like lime. The one lime wedge over-powers every other aroma. Taste is basically the same, crispy and dry from intense carbonation; corns, grains, the palest of all malt flavors. Musky hops, but not enough to really matter or make it bitter. More steel flavors. I've had many skunky bottles, but I've also had plenty that were fine. But again, if you drop the lime it, it pretty much takes over the entire flavor profile, which probably isn't a bad thing. Thin body, crispy as fuck.

Corona was my "go-to" beer before I got into craft. Now that I realize what's out there, it's kind of funny that I ever found this stuff "tasty". But even to this day, I'd still take it over a Bud Light. As long as I can drop a lime in and sprinkle the neck with salt.

tectactoe, Jan 31, 2013
1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

A guy came into my craft beer store and asked if I had Corona. I gave him some snitty reply like: "We don't sell bad beer here." Afterwards I felt like a snob and I hate that so I decided to try this beer one more time with a unbiased mindset. Got the classic clear bottle from a bodega in Brooklyn.

A: Looks exactly like a good pee. Not too dark or light. Just a perfect pee colour. I mean you could feed this through a tube and use it to make special effects pee in a movie. Very little carbonation that fades instantly.

S: Smells very lightly of corn and rotting veggies. Is this really beer or some sort of corn wine? No hops or malt present in the aroma at all.

T: I can't believe I guzzled this down in college. Either my pallet has grown or I was just too drunk to notice but this is one bad tasting beer. The only consolation is it doesn't have much taste at all. But what it does have is rotten asparagus and old canned corn. Faintly, in the back.

M: Mouthfeel like canada dry seltzer. I guess this is why people like to drink it in the summer cause I like a nice seltzer on a hot day but the effect for me is ruined by subtle under taste of rust, can corn and rotten garbage.

D: Went down very easy but I did not enjoy it as it went down. As this is basically badly flavored seltzer water I got close to my college chugging record of 2 seconds with this beer. Made me flashback to vomiting in a trashcan as I finished it. Maybe I am the wrong kind of person to drink this beer as I have been exposed to good tasting beer. I have decided I will never taste it again. Praise Jah in all his glory. Never again.

So it seems I am not a snob after all. This beer is a marketing fraud perpetrated on the people of the earth. Not at all beer, it is my opinion that it is a badly made mixed drink that someone allowed some salad to fall into. Should this beer even be on the site? Is there a minimum amount of malt and hops you need to have in the beverage in ratio to other ingredients in order to be called beer? The only reason for a person to buy or drink this beer is because in your subconscious one has been programed to think that this beer is really refreshing on a hot day. It is not even that refreshing when you consider the other options available. Even PBR would be a better BBQ beer because it has that same refreshing effect without the garbage and corn flavor. Wow. Nobody should drink this so they go out of business. I feel for all the working class hispanics in my neighborhood who can only afford this beer to drink. Modelo is lying and stealing from customers and using the mass media to brainwash them into thinking it is a drinkable beer. It is not at all. My Final Verdict: Bad

P.S. Anyone who says this beer tastes of citrus or it tastes "limey" should think about the fact that they might have put a lime in the beer and that might be where the taste came from. If so that is not good reviewing because we are not here to review the lime juice that is added. I did not use a lime and I am here to tell you that this beer has ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, no lime or citrus flavor at all. Not even a little bit. Nope you are totally wrong if you think there is. Try again with out the lime in it, it really has no lime flavor. None whatsoever. Really, Seriously. No lime. Not even a hint of citrus. None. Nada...

geovitray, Jul 17, 2010

SkiBum22, Jul 21, 2014

BubalooBrewMaster, Dec 24, 2013
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a beer that if offered free, I would drink but if I have to pay, now way! It pours straw yellow with a slight head that fades very quickly. The nose is of grain and a little malt. The flavor is quite unobtrusive with a slight malt background and a crisp bite, but nothing exciting whatsoever. A drinkable beer that could definantly use a lime to help out with the flavor.

Dmann, Jul 31, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

SuomiHobbit, Dec 12, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Here goes my inevitable Corona review. I'm drinking this at work as one of the accountants we share our office with bought this sixer. I have the Coronita Extra...in 7 oz. bottles....weird. What's the point?? I dunno. Golden piss yellow appeareance with not too much carbonation and a small bubbly head. Aromas of sweet corn, mexican brickweed skunkiness, and faint hints of lime (no..i didn't put a lime in it). Not appealing to say the least.

Sweet corn flavor upfront with tiny hints of citrus and possibly some grassy hop. A weird offputting funky flavor throughout. Extremely watery and basically boring. I can see why most people add the lime....

Mouthfeel is paper thin with small bubbly carbonation but no backbone at all. This is not a brew I would choose to drink...as there are many better. However, if I can drink it at work...and it's free...why not.

orbitalr0x, Jan 28, 2005

mediumrare, Sep 08, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

I feel that this is one of the most overhyped beer's on the market. I'd heard great things before I actually tried it. It was very disappointing. If I'm going to drink a mexican beer, I'd prefer Modelo Negro. Even though similar, I think it's a good alternative.

newcastleme, Jul 20, 2010

Drunkenass, Jul 06, 2013

TheAdamConners, Aug 03, 2012

beaversfan12, Sep 25, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

12onz clear bottle with "la cerveza mas fina"(the most fine beer) on front, i think it all depends who drink it,cause is not the fine one for me.

The appearance is very pale golden color with some white bubbles on the top,it looks really cool it the bartender open it champagne style.

The smell is like veggies a lot, maybe soemthing with the hops.

The taste is nothing to be impress about it some veggies again and some carbonation too.Does'nt feel bad on the mouth nothing to be impress neither.I would not drink this on regular basis.

I have heard lots of things about the lime in this beer some people says it change the taste of the beer (of course,it would taste like lime), but a friend was in a trip to Mexico some years ago, when this beer was not that popular in US and he tell that the tour guide tell him to rub a lime on bottle mouth to repell flys and insect. Is this true don't know but don't put anything in my beer anyway.

BeerDreadz, Jun 13, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

DaftPatrick, May 15, 2014

sasoares, Aug 03, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

csmartin6, Aug 12, 2012
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.