2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,124 | Reviews: 1,060 | Show All Ratings:
roddwolff

Mexico

It's difficult to make a wise description of the largest importe beer in the United States, but i made this observation:

A: Bright golden color, like molten gold, the foamy head is white, creamy, with a finger and a half thick, fueled by hundreds of small bubbles that emerge from the background, and lasts forever, the retention is excellent.

S: Smooth and refreshing, constantly invites you to take drink it, analyzing it, dominates malt, stinging hops and olive oil.

T: Indescribable, a master merge between malt and hops, some chickpeas and grains that i haven't found in other adjunct lager.

M: Medium bitterness, very refreshing, crips, leave's a pleasant taste, medium body and medium carbonation.

D: World class.

04-11-2009 00:31:45 | More by roddwolff
ElKushMan

Corona Extra is the shit!, plain and simple, with or without a lime wedge, drink it! """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" ...

06-22-2012 04:53:32 | More by ElKushMan
bbluemzbeer

This beer is on my top beer to drank in the summer and maybe of all time! Others do not like this beer but in my 20 years of dranking it does not disapoint on being refreshing and taste. It is crisp and clean! I The taste of heaven!

Apperance:Gloden like beautiful gold watch forever, the retention is excellent.

Smell: Very Smooth and refreshing has hops and malts.

Taste: This is very smooth and refrshing beer. It has no after taste but with a lime even taste better then all craft beers. Who would thnk that !

Mouthfull: very refreshing, crips, leave's a pleasant taste, medium body and medium carbonation in it.

Overall People either hate or love it. I am on the side of love it! The price is not cheap even in California but I will always buy it. By far the best Mexican beer on the market!

D: World class.

05-05-2013 06:43:18 | More by bbluemzbeer
missilesilo

4.8/5  rDev +109.6%

A - Golden colored, looks great.

S - Smells different than most beers, but I love the smell.

T - One of the best tasting beers. A little grainy, but very yummy. Especially with a big fat lime in it.

M - Average mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D - Very drinkable. I could drink these all night.

01-10-2009 02:14:38 | More by missilesilo
michfan23

4.72/5  rDev +106.1%

I don't care what others may say i love Corona for its great refreshing quality and the nice crisp taste. I wouldn't say it is a beer that everyone would like but it is a nice tasting beer with a lot going for it. The look and flavor is great because it is great for sitting back on a hot summer day. I often hear people mocking it and claiming that the Mexicans won't drink it but I don't mind because they can send it all to me. I would pick Corona any day of the week because it is miles away from ordinary.

04-14-2007 06:20:21 | More by michfan23
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +105.2%

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to make of this beer before I tried it. A friend of mine told me that I should try it so I did. This is one of my favorite beers that I have tried. The smell of a Corona is unpleasant and skunky at first, but the taste is great. The appearance is a yellowish color and looks very good at first sight.Some people say adding a lime wedge to your Corona will make it taste even better. I recommend this beer to anyone.

02-20-2013 18:48:02 | More by RyanLaCount03
emancomeith

4.6/5  rDev +100.9%

I do enjoy this beer.Its something you wont scream WOW about but I keep it on hand.Just like on the commercial you can drink this on a hot day,relax,and have several without falling down drunk out of your chair.It does have a almost light beer taste to it.You can not drink a stronger European ale then come back to this...

02-02-2011 18:46:55 | More by emancomeith
unkk33

4.55/5  rDev +98.7%

Firstly, i believe most people on this site love "heavy, dark, robustly flavorful" beers. I personally feel this site is kind of biased.

I love coronas with lime. I can drink it all night. Its delicious and refreshing. Sure its not malty or hoppy. Its like a lime soda with a smooth after taste of limey.

Don't get me wrong, I love heavy beers too. Dogfish head 90 ipa and sam adams ocktoberfest are someone of my favorite beers. I just dont understand why this beer got such low ratings, go similar ratings as most beers in anheiser busch.

I am a proud supporter of coronas and im not mexican btw lol.

01-15-2010 07:48:53 | More by unkk33
animal69

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev +90%

hey say what you will, but it has replaced water in my life, most people think of corona as anything close to a different tasting american macro-lager, but this is not tru; originally brewed by vienniese immigrants, it was it's own style, hops,malts & the type of water they were used to using was non-existant ( i don't know the recipe) but they did have corn, & lots of it !! i'm sure the thin head & no body is a result of that, as well as the "null" hopping.
The beer does look beautiful in the bottle & if it weren't for the alcohol in it, it would be soda, my other water alternative...so conserve water,and drink Corona instead !!

10-03-2007 00:00:24 | More by animal69
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +87.8%

Corona takes a lot of flack here but I like this beer. My review is of a bottle of corona with lime. I won't drink this beer without lime - I don't like it. But...
throw a lime in it and its great.
Its a pale yellow piss colour, but hey, thats what its supposed to look like, right? No idea what the head looks like, this isn't getting poured into any glass.
All I can smell is the lime. The taste is a nice citrusy mix of beer and lime juice.
Maybe i should just review a lime???
Mouthfeel is kind of fizzy like soda or seltzer.
Drinkability? Are you kidding? I would give this a 6 if i could.
Even the sleek shape of the bottle suggests you can slam umpteen of these at a time.

02-14-2005 14:31:53 | More by SaunaKing
OregonDuckinTexas

4.3/5  rDev +87.8%

I like good beer. And, there are lots of different beers that are good. Some are microbrewed and some are mass produced. Quantity to me is irrelevant. Corona Extra is my favorite for a light, American style lager beer. Unlike, Bud, Coors, Miller, and virtually all the other micro lagers and pilsners, Corona Extra has a slight hoppy taste that I like. Yes, Matilda, this is not an IPA. Duh! But, it's crisp and light as a proper American style lager should be and yet it's got a bit of character, in this case in the form of hops. So, on a nice hot day here in Houston, an ice cold Corona is a great way to chill.
Cheers!

08-06-2012 17:11:58 | More by OregonDuckinTexas
Lakers805

4.22/5  rDev +84.3%

Personally this beer is one one of my favorites to drink! It's smooth and easy to drink. Goes good with a lime! It's a good beer to have anytime,especially at a party! Seems most people are critics towards this beer due to it's lightness in taste! But I find it as a favorite! Cheers!

02-03-2011 05:32:44 | More by Lakers805
bunbury

Panama

4.18/5  rDev +82.5%

For me, beer sould be drink on how it comes... in a bottle or can, who invented to put lemon on beer?,... at first i desagree, but after trying it,...it was "inevitable".. .

Without lemon: if i go one by one in category it would be nonesense,. . everything in this beer is great.

With lemon: it passes more quickly, perfect body, good head.. . i mean.. . excelence, 2 tumbs up to mexico for creating this beer.

06-10-2006 06:33:26 | More by bunbury
Natainos

4.1/5  rDev +79%

A: Yellow corny, with a white head

S: I like this beer, BUT NOT for the smell, very skunk to weedy smell

T: this beer is a crisp corn & lite hoppy good with or without lime or limon

M: fizzy combination

D: YES on a cold or hot day (especially)... the beer does taste rather bad when hot almost undrinkable, so Ice cold is the way to go. The Party beer IMO

08-24-2010 01:22:27 | More by Natainos
barleysandwich

British Columbia (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev +76.9%

Dispite it's overall poor rating, I actually really like this beer and is one of the beers I buy the most in the middle of summer and really never purchase this in the fall or winter.

It is the kind of beer I really love with a wedge of lime stuck in the bottle through the opening, and without the lime I actually don't really like it.

It is very light colored, with a unique smell and flavour, and is very refeshing (with the lime) on a hot summers day.

Bottom line:
Drink this ice cold with a wedge of lime on a hot summer day and its awesome. Without the lime and in the middle of winter, it's just not very nice.

01-14-2009 01:11:11 | More by barleysandwich
Photo of

I am older (58) and my taste for heavier beers has diminished. I am sensitive to acidy so I don't go for brews with a citrus flavor. I almost always eat when I drink, so I don't want a beer that overpowers my food. I am sensitive to brewing processes and some preservatives so I
don't want a beer that makes me feel like crap or makes me pee 3 beers for every one I drink.
I tend to drink beer at room temperature.

I love Corona. It's not too heavy or filling.
It doesn't overpower the food I am eating. I
don't overpee when I drink it or suffer any
ill effects. It goes down easy with a mild bitter after taste. It seems a little less carbonated then most beers.

It's not at the top of my list, but it's my pick
for a very drinkable everyday beer. If you agree with this review, you will also probably like Lionshead.

06-02-2010 08:46:32 | More by
Sunsetvenice28

Corona Extra has been my favorite beer for the last 5 years or so. It’s light, stout but not bitter with the right amount of carbonation. However, Corona Extra contains barley malt, rice &/or corn with GMO’s antioxidants and propylene glycol (stabilizer). It is off my beer list. What a shame!

09-08-2013 00:04:27 | More by Sunsetvenice28
sennoma

American Samoa

3.95/5  rDev +72.5%

Ah, poor Corona, everyone hates you. But not me. Light, clear, clean and refreshing -- appearance, smell and taste all follow each other beautifully. Light on the hops but not weak, carbonation is just right for an "easy drinking" beer. Mouthfeel is just a touch on the watery side, if I have to be really critical.

Eminently drinkable. My go-to beer, available everywhere and never fails to refresh. Not for the adventurous, but one doesn't always want to be Sir Ranulph Wossname.

09-04-2012 01:53:04 | More by sennoma
RodBurg

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +70.3%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a fizzy white head. It surprisingly leaves a little lacing.

Smells of husky grains and light, floral hops.

Taste follows the smell, light grain flavor and even lighter floral hop bitterness. Light on the palate and very refreshing.

Despite the bad rap this south of the border brew gets, its still my favorite macro and definitely has its time and place. I usually drink it straight from the bottle and yes *gasp*, I use a lime. Yummy.

02-02-2009 00:54:56 | More by RodBurg
BeerSingh

India

3.88/5  rDev +69.4%

Looks brilliant golden yellow in the transparent bottle. Always had it with a lemon wedged in the bottle, gives it a likeable twang to the otherwise plain taste. An exceptional summer beer, that can be consumed all 6 pack at once. Light on the palate, could have been more malty. Smell is hoppy and fresh. Great beer to go, especially for a macro level produce.

07-26-2009 16:27:30 | More by BeerSingh
nekronos

3.83/5  rDev +67.2%

Pale yellow, with a little foam. IN general, it tastes like if it was frozen and then put in the sun, what is sometimes called Burned. I would avoid to drink this beer as much as possible since the after taste is a little anoying. It is known as Coronita in Spain, due to some legal issues, but Coronita in Mexico is a smaller presentation. NO cans found in Mexico but available in the USA.

09-13-2005 21:42:39 | More by nekronos
Bigjay1584

3.8/5  rDev +65.9%

I cannot believe how such a great beer has such a poor average score. This is probably the most refreshing beer in existence (along with Sol which is extremely similar). Maybe I'm just romanticizing this beer because this is one of just a handful of beers that I drank when I was waaaay underage. I very well may be, but I'll try to be fair here. I prepared one with a slice of lime, the way its supposed to be done. (without the lime the taste score would not be as high). Left it in the bottle and inserted the lime wedge. Looks gorgeous. Admittedly doesn't have much of a smell, except for the lime. Has a very simple clean taste. The Corona w/lime taste helps make up the Ideal HOT weather beer. Not filling. Not sweet. Just the utmost in beer refreshment. What this beer lacks in complexity it makes up for in drinkability and refreshment.

-Salud X 3 (see photo) yes... those are Coronas

03-28-2006 04:31:42 | More by Bigjay1584
Rddymk

Indiana

3.8/5  rDev +65.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

I hope the previous reponder does not get offeneded by the fact that Mexico is not in South America. Corona is brewed in Mexico and is owed, in part, by the makers of Budweiser.
Corona, in my feeble opinion, is similar to Coors Light. Watery, crackly and thin. The lime gives it a tasty overhang. I use the "RealLime juice squeezey." You can regulate your lime taste. Corona is great on hot days and the clear glass, although it can impair the taste of beer, makes it a handy chug after mowing the grass of after a good session of 'you know what.' The clear glass motto is null because the rate of sale for Corona is so fast the impariment of flavor is not affected, similar to Miller High Life.

10-19-2007 02:55:38 | More by Rddymk
lanechaffin

3.8/5  rDev +65.9%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

12-27-2009 04:30:24 | More by lanechaffin
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.8/5  rDev +65.9%

This beer (poured from a 12oz. bottle) has a rather thin white head, but a very bubbly, golden appearance (weird). Aroma is faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is very light, but I can't say I don't like it. Naturally, I suppose Corona Extra is just brewed to have a lime squeezed into it and to be eaten with salty chips. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and refreshing. The taste is very subdued for sure, and I noticed a soapy under-taste, but all-in-all, I like it. Why do people hate this? I'd strongly recommend buying this in the can, as the clear bottle can allow for spoilage. Happily, the one I drank today was not skunked. Try it (although, most beer drinkers probably already have).

RJT

06-24-2010 00:36:00 | More by RonaldTheriot
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.