Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
VE777

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

I've had many good times on Corona while drinking in Tijuana, Mexico. There is nothing better than some sunshine, tequila and Corona while trotting around the Pacific Ocean with Mexican women.

In any case, while I hate having to review this beer, it's better than any of the American standards: Miller, Bud, Coors, etc.

02-25-2014 05:20:24 | More by VE777
Gmann

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a straw color, almost yellow, with a small white head that disappeared very quickly and left no head. Not much sense in pouring this beer in a glass but I did anyway. The smell was grainy, artificial sweetness. The taste is grainy, a bit skunky, very light bitterness. The feel is not terrible, not nearly as watery as some macro lagers, nice carbonation. The drinkablity is fine; it has to be cold and near a beach. As it warms it becomes a bear. I like the painted bottle.

01-05-2007 23:14:13 | More by Gmann
Boneheadmx

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

After having a Corona Light, I cracked this open to see if it was any better. The beer pours out just the same, into a pale straw with no head. The smell is actually worse in this beer because the hops aroma is a little bit stronger. Unfortunately, it is very skunky and offensive to the nose. There isn't much in the way of a grain smell. The taste is a bit sweet, and hints at some grain, but it's not all there, unfortunately. The hops are much more noticeable in this beer compared to Corona Light, but it is still very faint. The moutfeel is very thin, though the carbonation is one small redeeming factor. In all, this is a hops flavored batch of water that isn't very good unless you're thirsty on a hot day. I don't think I'll get this anytime soon from the store, but if someone offers it to me on a hot day, I won't turn it down.

05-19-2006 01:44:01 | More by Boneheadmx
HoustonTX

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Deep yellow color, lacked a decent pour.

S - Smell is skunky and offensive. Small traces of malt come through.

T - Taste is of a malt-corn-type backbone, slightly sweet and washes over your mouth with an almost metallic bitter aftertaste.

M - A bit too carbonated, feels thin, very thin.

D - Hard to believe I used to drink these. 3.0 - Just because some people may enjoy them with lime/salt/lemon.

I would avoid this beer if at all possible, but it would be possible to drink one or two on a scorching hot day.

06-28-2006 04:49:38 | More by HoustonTX
bushbeer75

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz clear bottle with white "painted like label"

Corona Extra poured a clear pale yellow/gold with a thin white head and no lacing. The aroma and taste is very light - grains and corn detected. Corona is low in bitterness and thin in malts. Mouth feel is very thin, watery and fizzy.

Corona is so light in flavor I now understand why adding a lime wedge is recommended - next time [if there is one] I will. This is a beer for one that is not really a beer drinker - intended to be quaffed cold on a hot day. I bet if I reviewed this brew on the beaches in Mexico I would rate it much higher :~).

09-14-2008 20:21:29 | More by bushbeer75
cyclonece09

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a translucent straw with little head that disappears fairly quickly. Smells of adjunct grain and slight limey smell, however, smell is very weak. Tastes of adjunct lager, not much else. The only thing going for it, could drink 6 of these and not notice the light bodied beer with good carbonation going down. Overall, a below average beer.

05-24-2012 02:17:21 | More by cyclonece09
phenomenologian

Nebraska

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

bought a 24 oz. bottle. opening the cap comes out very very little smoke. The bottle is clear so its open to being skunked but this one was not skunked surprisingly. pouring this gives less than a one finger head thats very very thin and dissipates quickly. The head was white before it disappeared entirely. The body has a golden bright color to it with no bubbles existing after the head.

The smell is not as good as I would have hoped (having tried it before and thought I remembered a more robust smell to it, but maybe I drank a different beer then). The smell is of corn and grain. Definitely a smallish-ly prominent smell of corn. The corn shows in the color of the body of course. you kind of have to waft the smell to actually pick anything up.

The taste is not what I remembered last time I drank it. I can definitely taste corn and grain and maybe some malt. I am not drinking it with lime right now so maybe my judgment is impaired.
From what I remember with lime in the beer it tastes pretty nice (like a 4.5 taste). The rule of "no fruit in beer" is invalid here as lime makes this one taste better.

The mouthfeel is okay buts it kind of carbonated. OVERALL its an okay beer by itself. If you want a light corn tasting lager this one is good. One word of advice: drink this beer with a slice of LIME (or lemon) because the taste of the lime makes it a nice beer to drink every once in awhile.

Rating the beer by itself I cannot think of who its catered to other than to the people who drink it with limes. Rule of thumb: don't try it without limes.

and if a beer is not good unless its with fruit, it cannot receive a good rating.

11-29-2011 05:00:12 | More by phenomenologian
eballard

Washington

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

This beer pours a very unexciting pale yellow with a bubble head that disappears as fast as you can drink it. It smells like a skunk light beer with an overly sweet smell and a slight metallic touch. The taste is bland and sour. It has a slightly wheat flavor but that’s one of the few things that even reminds you that it’s beer. In all I can’t say much positive about this beer other then if you drink it fast enough you can hardly taste it.

10-01-2006 23:48:19 | More by eballard
rvdoorn

Netherlands

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Look: the beer pours clear straw-yellow color with a white head.
Smell: Grain, corn, lemon, sugar and skunk.
Taste: Corn, lemon, grains, some caramel and some bitterness that balances out a bit
Mouthfeel: Thin body, medium carbonation
Overall: No words for this.

07-16-2011 23:34:05 | More by rvdoorn
Running4beer

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Good summertime drink that's all. It has to be ice cold and with a lime wedge to give it some flavor. It is gold in color and clear, little or no head. Some carbonation and easily drinkable. The only time you'll see this in my hand is on a hot summer day or while in Mexico during spring break.

03-21-2003 14:24:15 | More by Running4beer
drabmuh

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

12-18-2009 21:12:50 | More by drabmuh
genaro

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Corona extra came in a clear bottle. The color was clear light gold. The head vanished quickly and there was no lace. The aroma was skunky and grainy. The taste was really bland - coarse corn malt with only a little hop bite. There was very little body and not too much carbonation.
The finish was slightly dry with no sweetness. Over all a meek, watery beer to quench one's thirst.

02-10-2004 19:48:33 | More by genaro
AAG

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Well, I've drank a thousand of these over the years but as a BA novice, I'm just reviewing it now. Poured it from a bottle (no expiration date) into a stein...should have used a pint glass but went with the stein b/c it was most accessible.

Appearance - Transparent, highly carbonated, light, gold color. Initially had about a 1/2 a thumb's worth of head but it quickly dissipated (within 15 seconds). Slight lacy, head on the side of the stein as I drink it.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, yeast-like smell. Hard to identify the source of the sweetness. I have to confess, I enjoy the smell of a Corona (I know this puts me in the BA community minority!).

Taste - Highly carbonated, very-light; compared to the recent (higher quality) beers that I've drank it is almost tasteless. Not much to really write about here....below average in terms of robustness of taste. No hoppiness detected.

Mouthfeel - Below average, not very pleasing on the palate due to plain taste and high carbonation.

Overall - It is what I always knew it was - a nice light beer to drink if you are having a Mexican meal, it's hot outside, and you plan on drinking 10 or so beers. Otherwise, very plain light beer that's not worth writing home about.

01-01-2013 00:48:18 | More by AAG
mentor

Colorado

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

7 oz bottle left by some dinner guests. Pours a white soda-pop-like head over a crystal clear light straw colored liquid. Smells of skanky Saaz hops and corn. Some tin. Tastes wet sweet, but foul. Corn, cardboard. Noticable hops that are Saaz tin-like. Not very bitter, but full of musty straw flavor. Light body and strong carbonation. Judged to style, not my preferences.

04-19-2006 23:46:12 | More by mentor
Arithmeticus

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured chilled in lager glass

A: dead (no carb); pale yellow; small head disappears quickly; no lacing
S: very light Euro lager aroma; a hint of yeast
T: nondescript, flavorless; thin, watery lager; hops are minimal; sweet; not bitter

Classic Mexican blah blah.

06-30-2012 21:46:03 | More by Arithmeticus
emd

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

I like pairing Corona with spicy foods... I won't taste the Corona anyway so it isn't a big deal. It is definitely a cheap, relatively low class beer but I won't slight it by saying that it doesn't have its place. This beer is good for pairing with Mexican food, it really is. Often a more complex beer will have strange interactions with spicy foods, but not Corona. You can count on still being able to taste your food while swigging down this slightly intoxicating yellow liquid.

I have had friends call Corona "Mexican p*** water" and I respectfully disagree. I still think that Corona triumphs over its American counterparts such as Budweiser.

05-30-2013 00:06:05 | More by emd
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

I used to down these with my buddies every summer at the local Mexican place so I decided to give it another try now that I have been exposed to what beer is supposed to taste like.

This actually didn't pour half bad. The color was a pale golden with a smallish head that faded fairly quickly.

This beer smelled pretty skunky. Kind of a tartness to it as well.

Had quite a watery taste to it and wasn't nearly as good as I remember it being. However, I used to drink this ice cold which I don't do with beer anymore so maybe that has something to do with it. I was hoping to invoke some pleasant memories but I really didn't.

Well, the memories that I had of this beer were fonder than what I experienced this time. It's not a horrible beer or anything but I don't know that I will revisit this one anytime soon.

11-28-2007 22:39:24 | More by Tilley4
mattffrost

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Beer is a very faint light orange and clear. Head foams up and disolves quickly. Head is whte.

S: Typical Beer smell of any common beer. Grains slight citrus/lemon for me.

T: Nothing special close to water for me. But some people like that. Just a slight bitterness on one of my swallows.

M: Really does nothing for me but again some people like this fact for a beer they make think its easier to drink. Some what refreshing.

D: Not bad on a hot day but not great. Corona is not my first choice but I will drink it if someone hands me a bottle for free.

09-13-2008 22:52:58 | More by mattffrost
PDX2LA

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I strongly believe that a good beer will taste great on its own. If it needs a little assistance with other accouterment, then it's usually a red flag. Since Corona is always served with a lime, it should come as no surprise that this beer is not the best beer available. I've tried Corona without the lime and I quickly understood why the lime was necessary. Without the lime, I found it to be undrinkable. The lime added a nice citrus flavor that made it a little bit more palatable. But the only saving grace of this beer is that it pairs quite nicely it Mexican food. So, the next time you're at a cantina enjoying some carne asada tacos, get yourself a Corona. For all other occasions, drink something else.

11-08-2010 00:56:26 | More by PDX2LA
Douberd

Netherlands

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Another beer that I had so many times but never took the chance to review. So what if it’s snowing outside, I grabbed a bottle from the supermarket and I even poured it into a lager glass. The classic clean glass bottle of 355 ml, who everyones love to hate, ABV 4.5 on my bottle. Very pale, piss yellow colour, with one finger of white froathy head, very low retention and of course no lacing on the glass. Great activity in the glass though. Lots of adjuncts on the nose, with the corn being quite obvious, but at least it doesn’t have the "wet cornflakes" smell. Probably is covered by the light citrus notes. The corn is much more obvious on the taste. Nothing else to mention here. Very thin, almost watery on the body, saved by its high carbonation. Overall, what can I say that is not already written? Only good for the beach.

02-14-2013 19:54:18 | More by Douberd
MrAleman

United Kingdom (England)

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A real disappointment in many ways this one. A very light bodied Mexican lager. One bottle I had was flat. Often a lemon is added to enhance the flavour which is delicately citrusy.

This always comes in 330ml bottles I find, not a very satisfying beer. Also can be extremely expensive.

11-26-2008 10:45:04 | More by MrAleman
TheDeuce

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance-golden color with barely any trace of head, clarity is good but the lack of any head is stunning.

Smell-sour, a little bit of skunk, not pleasent at all.

Taste-without a lime the beer is fairly sour and bitter, mouthfeel is thin and watery, goes down ok I suppose.

Mouthfeel-as stated before, thin and watery, nothing much happening here, but it goes down fine and aftertaste is non-existent (a good thing in this case)

Drinkability-is it refreshing on a hot day? Yea I guess so, but so many better beers are as well.

Overall-I won't slam Corona without explanation as many others do, but I must admit that I am shocked many uninformed people consider this a top-quality beer, the sour mouthfeel could make you gag, the lack of any head ruins its fine color, and it isn't at all refreshing if not drank ice cold. In my book this is a sub-standard beer overall, not at all worth the price tag. Any beer that needs an outside influence (a lime in this case) to taste good should immediately be considered a tasting hazard.

01-02-2005 09:17:43 | More by TheDeuce
KarlosT

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Haven't had Corona in a long time. Disappointing, now that I've been experimenting with a greater variety of beers.

Often for meals, I'll drink a table beer ... e.g. Bud Light, Miller Light, Miller 64. These are cheap, low calorie, refreshing beers.

Hence my calibration for Corona. Can't say that Corona had any additional taste, character, etc. over these less expensive (and less calorie) beers.

04-17-2012 22:07:52 | More by KarlosT
claytri

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

The beer pours that peculiar strain which can only be called corn yellow. It develops a bit of white rocky head. The aroma is of corn malt. The taste is pretty much what you'd expect from a Mexican corn based lager. I was sipping it slowly enough that it warmed and I actually preferred the taste. Once closer to room temp the corn taste became more apparent. The feel was light and oily. This is not an upleasant beer, but it doesn't have much that would grab you. It falls between beers that use a little corn like Dos Eques or Carta Blanca, and those which are proudly corn beer like Tecate or Chihuahua. This middle stance puts it far below any of the other Mexican alternatives.

04-11-2005 13:11:57 | More by claytri
Stimack

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Well, I must say that this brew is not very tasty, never has been. Have experienced it with and with out lime and unfortunately I must say that the lime does help it out a bit. The brew pours to a very pale yellow color with a white head that is very bubbly and has no real retention or lacing. The aroma is pretty boring and heading on nasty without the lime. Somewhat skunky smells seem to dominate, others going on as well but not overly that pleasant. The taste is of corn and a sweetness that overall is not that great along with a little hop. Not a very good beer by it self. Now with me bad mouthing is so much I must say that I do not mind it when I have a lime wedge or two in the bottle and it is about 90+ out. Had a few while down in Progreso Mexico on the beach and I am not sure if it was the sun, ocean, relaxing or a combination of all but I actually enjoyed it. Now I would be very hard pressed to have the same experience here in NY!

05-25-2004 12:08:44 | More by Stimack
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.