2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,126 | Reviews: 1,060 | Show All Ratings:
feloniousmonk

I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides. I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...
appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?). Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.
Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.)

05-25-2003 01:27:27 | More by feloniousmonk
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

Oh Christ, why did they offer me this? Corona. Comes in clear bottles, so you can see the light colour of the brew and possibly get that skunked smell and taste. Pours a very pale, pale yellow and gold colour that you can see through like a pair of contact lenses. No head whatsoever. Add a little salt, you barely get a bubble. Smelled skunky. Every Corona I've had, which isn't very many, had this skunked smell. It is so overpowering that any malt or hop scent is undetectable. Sour tasting. Add a lime, and it's barely tolerable. Mostly because you can taste the lime. The aftertaste is a sour/bitter combination. Perhaps some evidence of hops? Sorry, not enough. Thin, light, watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't want to drink this at all. One of the biggest overhyped and worst beers one can get.

08-06-2003 16:35:21 | More by slitherySOB
TastyTaste

Clear gold color. Tiny white head. Olores del maíz y de la mofeta (Smells of corn and skunk). I drank it from a mug. No fruit. A light malty flavor which is overshadowed by the large amounts of skunk. This was packaged in a "Beers of Summer" sampler, between an Oberon and a Curve Ball. A very overrated beer with pretty much no conceivable positives I can think of.

05-12-2004 00:08:45 | More by TastyTaste
Dithyramb

Maryland

Served in a clear bottle--is there any other method by which the swill is tossed around?--as the only beer beyond Miller Light post softball last week. The lesser of two evils? Very hard to tell.

Clear piss yellow, no head, no retention, no lacing, minimal to no carbonation within the glass

Skunky lager smell

Yes, serve with several lemons, you will need it. Skunky corny adjunct flavors, and that is about it. I couldn't think of anything I would rather not have while sitting on the beach, no matter what the advertising says. I cringed, people gave me strange looks. Weak, watery, possibly less bodied than lemon tinted tap water. Not drinkable at all.

I had a BBQ a few weeks back and only served fine micros and regional goodies. Several "friends" brought some brews of their own that went unattended. A leftover mixed 12 pack of Bud Light and Corona were amply used to water my flowers periodically. I smile when I do it

06-24-2005 18:59:56 | More by Dithyramb
ReDave

Yuck, you open this up in a room of micro and home brews, and it smells like a skunk go loose!
However, i was up in Wawona, Yosemite just this weekend, and i found a thicket of Hops, (probably not native or natural) that were definatly bitering, and not aromatic. My brother-in-law had brought the corona’s and had some limes. So I added a lime slice, added several fully ripened hops, let it set for awhle, it was [only then] drinkable.
I find it very interesting that authentic native Mexicans call this trash beer.

03-23-2006 06:23:03 | More by ReDave
orfeu

New Mexico

Somebody left this in my fridge after my 30th birthday party -- I swear I told everyone that I'd have beer for them to drink! Pale yellow. The lazy beginnings of a head appear during the pour, but at best it resembles the head on a glass of Mountain Dew. Thirty seconds later, there is absolutely nothing there, not even a ring of bubbles. Not flat, though. There's plenty of carbonation here. But in any case, this sorry beverage doesn't need a head to help release its estery aromas. Nothing but skunk city. A clear bottle'll do that, I suppose. Anyway, skunky flavor up front as well, and then a pitifully brief corny sweetness, and then...nothing. I really think I've found a beer that is virtually flavorless except for its lightstruck flaw. Terrible. Thin watery mouthfeel. This truly does need a lime and certainly does NOT need to exit the vessel in which it was purchased -- either into a glass or into your mouth. Even as a "lawnmower" or "tropical vacation" beer, there are many, many other better options. Please avoid.

09-07-2006 03:45:50 | More by orfeu
Brad007

Vermont

Clear color with a head that disappears fast. Aroma is mainly of skunk (really no surprise here). Taste is pretty thin and watery. Bland. Tastes of roasted veggies. Not a good beer trait. Ick. Bleh. Never buying this again. I can see why they place so much emphasis on a lime.

08-20-2007 03:17:29 | More by Brad007
Stinkypuss

Part of my Shitty Beer Review Series...What am I doing to myself?

A. Pours a light gold into a glass with NO HEAD after an agressive pour.

S. Skunk Grains. I immediately think "drain pour" but then I re-coup, gather my thoughts, and continue.

T. Ick. Skunky astringent corn. Some bitterness coming out of the stew of foulness.
I think they may have used hops, not sure.

M. A bit watery and slightly harsh.

D. Well, I tried it. A few swigs, then down the drain, I cannot continue to hurt myself. This is worse than Natural Light. The Swill to end all Swill.

08-17-2008 22:36:20 | More by Stinkypuss
yesyouam

There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said before. It's a pale yellow liquid with no aroma. I bought a sixer to make some micheladas at a party. Use only when mixing. I really have to give this a more objective review. It just really took me off guard at the time I had it. I just couldn't drink it.
(rated Jun 12, 2008)

12-11-2008 14:08:50 | More by yesyouam
CampusCrew

I'll try to do this. Without slamming I can say easily one of the worst beers in the world. Hardly a beer and the most overrated beer by far.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

01-21-2009 20:43:20 | More by CampusCrew
sammyadams617

I will never get why this beer is so popular and how people think they have a distinguished taste by drinking it because it's not bud light. The only time it's acceptable to drink corona is at a beach party with buddies. Other than this, Corona serves no purpose. An absolute sorry excuse for a beer. Tastes, smells, looks, and drinks terrible. I would much rather go with a Tecate or Negra Modelo if I want something south of the border.

04-30-2009 02:05:00 | More by sammyadams617
tjd112

Drank straight from the bottle

A - Very little head, pours an ugly yellow collow
S - Smells like sulfur; I'd wish they'd do brown bottles, so this beer could have a fighting chance
T - Like water
M - Like water
D - Avoid at all costs. I think I could stand it better if they didn't put it in a clear bottle.

I think they make Corona by taking all the piss tests of Mexican police recruits and put it into a bottle.

If you want some good Mexican beer, try Negra Modelo

11-07-2009 20:46:55 | More by tjd112
MadElf25

A. very plain in its appearance. its bright yellow color is not to be desired.

S. there is little to no aroma to this type of beer, unless you add lime to it like most people do.

T. with out the lime it is very bland. with the lime it is better but then you're spitting out pulp most of the time.

M. nothing special about the mouthfeel

D. this is just another beer to use to get drunk with.

12-28-2009 20:17:37 | More by MadElf25
foles75

I don't know why this beers gets some much hype.. Its horrible... This is one of 3 beers someone can offer me for free and I would decline.
Again this beer is crap, gets alot of hype, tastes like crap and is priced the same as Bass Ale in the supermarket... What gives?

12-30-2009 00:34:34 | More by foles75
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

Picked up a 24oz clear painted bottle (we've all seen the style) at the Lebanon Village Market for a paltry $2.29. Code JF16C064 20:24 printed on the neck. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A giant wave of skunk assaults my nose immediately after popping the cap. Into the glass it goes, where it explodes in a massively fizzy Alka-Seltzer head that's completely gone in a matter of seconds. Seriously, there's absolutely nothing, not even a single bubble. The abundant carbonation rising from this clear watery yellow #4 liquid bursts immediately upon hitting the surface. Smell is a combination of various skunkinesses: musty skunk, rancid skunk, vomit skunk. Mouthfeel is watery and offensively fizzy, I can feel bubbles forming on my teeth as if I were swishing peroxide. Taste is a mellower version of the smell- no more, no less, and equally terrible.

I'm not sure what I hate more: the beer itself, or the mindless fanboi zombie culture that loves it. Yea, on about 3 seconds of contemplation, I'm sure I hate the idea of Corona even more than I hate Corona itself (and that's saying a lot). This beer, probably more than anything else on earth ever spawned from a very unlucky yeast cell, has a huge following built on nothing but image and advertising dollars. If there is such a thing as Yeast Reincarnation, no doubt only those unfortunate fungal microbes with the worst sort of karma would ever find themselves in a vat of Corona wort.

08-30-2010 23:04:27 | More by BeerNinja007
pumptrick

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. This stuff is as bad as it gets for me.

01-28-2011 22:44:01 | More by pumptrick
fugitive

Greece

Bottle. Pale yellow colour no head at all. Aroma almost nothing. Light body.Weak and watery. Maybe citrus in taste. This is not a beer. Some people say that there is a place for this beer, the beach. Not for me not even there. Avoid it at all costs !!!

09-04-2011 22:27:05 | More by fugitive
MsRif

I only ever drank this as a teenager desperate for an alcohol supply...it was (and still is) my dad's beer of choice.

It pours a lovely yellow color...that of what I would imagine would be the color of the liquid that sprays from a skunk, which is quite appropriate because that is just about what this beer tastes like. It's so horrendous that I actually used to hold my nose while drinking it to cut down on the affect on my palate. Tastes like skunked beer with a touch of third world wheat. As in, wheat from a patch that people have been using as a latrine.

Mouthfeel is actually not horrible, but the taste is so overwhelmingly bad that it's still awful. Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. Overall, this is something you should only drink when dying of thirst. Even then, maybe you should just forgo it and die with dignity.

10-28-2011 23:53:36 | More by MsRif
hdf561

Had this at a wedding in a bottle.

This beer is horrible...I honestly do not know why anyone drinks it....in trying to be respectful I will leave it at this...I do not recommend this beer at all, if it is for you then great but of al of the beers I have drank this is one of the only ones I will continue to turn down.

12-16-2011 02:26:18 | More by hdf561
The21ner

This is the Mexican version of Budlight. Absolutely no taste to it. A beer-flavored water. You are better off drinking water at a party. It has a nasty skunky smell. An insult to beers worldwide. I can only imagine what corona "light " must taste like....good lord

02-22-2013 21:56:58 | More by The21ner
rcmorrison8

Tennessee

The worst stuff I have ever had in my life. Considered giving up drinking after this. Took one sip and then took one more to be sure. Poured the rest out. Removed remaining bottles from fridge. Called brother-in-law and chastised him for bringing such sludge into my house. I then retired to bed fearing that I would have nightmares. Never again.

11-01-2013 10:19:29 | More by rcmorrison8
gregO59

drank 1 because it was in the bottom of the cooler where I was . nothing else left. tried it and vowed I would never have another. appearance- i've given better looking urine samples smell- smells like sugar pops taste- not enough fruit in the world to make this taste go away mouthfeel- carbonation and bubbles overall- this beer and the people from mexico should be sent packing back across the border

12-23-2013 01:17:05 | More by gregO59
bashiba

Iowa

1.02/5  rDev -55.5%

Poured a dull yellow with almost no fizzy white head.

The smell is terrible, super skunky and awful. The nose is so bad I'm having trouble bringing the glass up to my mouth for a drink.

The taste is nothing but bad skunky beer.

Water.

Drinkable no, drainpour - yes

12-22-2008 23:23:19 | More by bashiba
jazztoloc

Mexico

1.02/5  rDev -55.5%

I've tried the Corona that sells in Mexico, I've been told that the Corona that is exported is quite different, and that it's suposed to be better. If I ever face the oportunity to try a Corona outside Mexico ( which will cost 14 times more), I think I will not go for it. It's worth mentioning, that Corona Extra is one of the few beers in Mexico that tastes the same all over the country, and believe me, some other beers taste quite different. Same beer in North Mexico (Sonora) compared to Yucatan peninsula, could taste like a totally different beer.
Corona always tastes the same, the bad thing is that it tastes like...RACOON'S ASS!

07-02-2009 02:47:15 | More by jazztoloc
jegross2

1.02/5  rDev -55.5%

Greetings from Mexico! I swear that I am relaxing. However, I thought that while I am here, I would review some of the local brews I had access to, so…

Reviewing Corona Extra and Corona Light side by side! Both are brewed by Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V., the same people who brew Modelo and Pacifico.
Corona Extra Score: 15
Corona Light Score: 35

My Corona Extra (left) was a tap pour served in a plastic cup. My Corona Light (right) came from a can, served in what looks like a pilsner glass of sort. Do not ask why one is in a plastic cup because there is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Appearance (Corona Extra): Pours a pretty transparent yellow, honey-brown color – almost cider like – with just under a half finger of frothy white head that dissipates into a lacing atop the beer. Come to think of it, this beer looks more like vitamin-heavy urine. Average lacing. 1.5/5

Appearance (Corona Light): Pours a much brighter yellow color than the Corona Extra, almost like a pinot (white wine). Thin layer of bubbly white head on pour that quickly settles into nothing. Below average lacing. 1/5
___

Smell (Corona Extra): Limes, corn and a little grain. A little “skunky” funk to the hops aroma. Has a light, acidic “white wine” aroma. 1/5

Smell (Corona Light): Still getting lime, but no real “skunky” hops funk. Perhaps because there is less of a skunked hops funk, I am also detecting more of the “white wine” aroma that I detected in the Corona Extra. Lighter corn/grains smell. Very flat. 1.5/5
___

Taste (Corona Extra): OK. If the aroma did not give this away, this beer is skunked. That seems a little odd, since it came from a keg…Besides the signature “Heineken flavor” (pre-skunked beer), I am also detecting a little lime and a lot of corn. The corn is a little malty. Also getting some stainless steel flavor. 1/5

Taste (Corona Light): Very crisp lime and corn flavor. Refreshing. No real linger, and a much subtler stainless steel flavor. 1.5/5
___

Mouthfeel (Corona Extra): Light bodied, low-medium carbonation. Honestly surprised by how little carbonation there is. Finish is pungent and acidic. 1/5

Mouthfeel (Corona Light): Light bodied, high-medium carbonation. Slightly bitter and acidic finish. 1/5
___

Overall: There is a reason the Bloody Mary is my drink of choice on vacation. Maybe a bad keg biased my Corona Extra experience, but this is my only Corona Extra experience and it was pretty unbearable. I wanted to drain pour it, but I do not think that you can do that in a pool. The Corona Light was a serious step up, but that’s not saying much. I really cannot say that I will ever drink either beer again. Ever. Seriously. I’d honestly rather drink a Keystone Light. USA! USA! USA!

Recommendations: Do not drink this stuff. It is objectively less “tasty” than Miller Lite. Casual beer drinkers should be ashamed.

Pairings: Lime wedge.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 pack of either.

01-09-2012 04:57:27 | More by jegross2
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.