Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,147 | Hads: 4,360

This stuff, like most Mexican beers, is simply bad. With or without the lime. A marketing made swill, at best. I'd rather have a malt liquor... and before anyone accuses me of being an affluent beer snob, I am a seasoned biker who tolerates Pabst, on occasion, because it's cheap, not too horrible, and often the only non-light beer at a biker clubhouse. But I won't touch Corona. (380 characters)

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. This stuff is as bad as it gets for me. (295 characters)

drank 1 because it was in the bottom of the cooler where I was . nothing else left. tried it and vowed I would never have another. appearance- i've given better looking urine samples smell- smells like sugar pops taste- not enough fruit in the world to make this taste go away mouthfeel- carbonation and bubbles overall- this beer and the people from mexico should be sent packing back across the border (403 characters)

Drank straight from the bottle

A - Very little head, pours an ugly yellow collow
S - Smells like sulfur; I'd wish they'd do brown bottles, so this beer could have a fighting chance
T - Like water
M - Like water
D - Avoid at all costs. I think I could stand it better if they didn't put it in a clear bottle.

I think they make Corona by taking all the piss tests of Mexican police recruits and put it into a bottle.

If you want some good Mexican beer, try Negra Modelo (470 characters)

The lowest of the low, honestly.

This one is just downright offensive. I've never poured it out in a glass, just had it out of a bottle. Through the clear (why?!?!) bottle, you can see how grossly yellow and urine-like this one is. Lots of carbonation, pretty fizzy.

Smells like a skunk's ass. Just disgusting. This one was a victim, like so many of other bottles of this brew, of light striking the beer through the clear glass. In case you were wondering, it also tastes like a skunk's ass. Slightly sweet, but mostly just gross.

Light bodied, high carbonation, slimy mouthfeel. UGH

UGH

UGH

UGH (602 characters)

Didn't know whether to rate with or without lime, but then I realized that it really didn't matter.

From notes/memory: Pale as wee, smells faintly of wee, tastes like west Texas water that has not been processed through a reverse osmosis system, mouthfeel of water. (267 characters)

I don't know why this beers gets some much hype.. Its horrible... This is one of 3 beers someone can offer me for free and I would decline.
Again this beer is crap, gets alot of hype, tastes like crap and is priced the same as Bass Ale in the supermarket... What gives? (269 characters)

Served in a clear bottle--is there any other method by which the swill is tossed around?--as the only beer beyond Miller Light post softball last week. The lesser of two evils? Very hard to tell.

Clear piss yellow, no head, no retention, no lacing, minimal to no carbonation within the glass

Skunky lager smell

Yes, serve with several lemons, you will need it. Skunky corny adjunct flavors, and that is about it. I couldn't think of anything I would rather not have while sitting on the beach, no matter what the advertising says. I cringed, people gave me strange looks. Weak, watery, possibly less bodied than lemon tinted tap water. Not drinkable at all.

I had a BBQ a few weeks back and only served fine micros and regional goodies. Several "friends" brought some brews of their own that went unattended. A leftover mixed 12 pack of Bud Light and Corona were amply used to water my flowers periodically. I smile when I do it (941 characters)

The worst stuff I have ever had in my life. Considered giving up drinking after this. Took one sip and then took one more to be sure. Poured the rest out. Removed remaining bottles from fridge. Called brother-in-law and chastised him for bringing such sludge into my house. I then retired to bed fearing that I would have nightmares. Never again. (346 characters)

Clear gold color. Tiny white head. Olores del maíz y de la mofeta (Smells of corn and skunk). I drank it from a mug. No fruit. A light malty flavor which is overshadowed by the large amounts of skunk. This was packaged in a "Beers of Summer" sampler, between an Oberon and a Curve Ball. A very overrated beer with pretty much no conceivable positives I can think of. (367 characters)

Yuck, you open this up in a room of micro and home brews, and it smells like a skunk go loose!
However, i was up in Wawona, Yosemite just this weekend, and i found a thicket of Hops, (probably not native or natural) that were definatly bitering, and not aromatic. My brother-in-law had brought the corona’s and had some limes. So I added a lime slice, added several fully ripened hops, let it set for awhle, it was [only then] drinkable.
I find it very interesting that authentic native Mexicans call this trash beer. (520 characters)

Part of my Shitty Beer Review Series...What am I doing to myself?

A. Pours a light gold into a glass with NO HEAD after an agressive pour.

S. Skunk Grains. I immediately think "drain pour" but then I re-coup, gather my thoughts, and continue.

T. Ick. Skunky astringent corn. Some bitterness coming out of the stew of foulness.
I think they may have used hops, not sure.

M. A bit watery and slightly harsh.

D. Well, I tried it. A few swigs, then down the drain, I cannot continue to hurt myself. This is worse than Natural Light. The Swill to end all Swill. (561 characters)

Had this at a wedding in a bottle.

This beer is horrible...I honestly do not know why anyone drinks it....in trying to be respectful I will leave it at this...I do not recommend this beer at all, if it is for you then great but of al of the beers I have drank this is one of the only ones I will continue to turn down. (320 characters)

Somebody left this in my fridge after my 30th birthday party -- I swear I told everyone that I'd have beer for them to drink! Pale yellow. The lazy beginnings of a head appear during the pour, but at best it resembles the head on a glass of Mountain Dew. Thirty seconds later, there is absolutely nothing there, not even a ring of bubbles. Not flat, though. There's plenty of carbonation here. But in any case, this sorry beverage doesn't need a head to help release its estery aromas. Nothing but skunk city. A clear bottle'll do that, I suppose. Anyway, skunky flavor up front as well, and then a pitifully brief corny sweetness, and then...nothing. I really think I've found a beer that is virtually flavorless except for its lightstruck flaw. Terrible. Thin watery mouthfeel. This truly does need a lime and certainly does NOT need to exit the vessel in which it was purchased -- either into a glass or into your mouth. Even as a "lawnmower" or "tropical vacation" beer, there are many, many other better options. Please avoid. (1,031 characters)

Clear color with a head that disappears fast. Aroma is mainly of skunk (really no surprise here). Taste is pretty thin and watery. Bland. Tastes of roasted veggies. Not a good beer trait. Ick. Bleh. Never buying this again. I can see why they place so much emphasis on a lime. (276 characters)

I'll try to do this. Without slamming I can say easily one of the worst beers in the world. Hardly a beer and the most overrated beer by far.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days. (386 characters)

Even when I was a youngster and didn't know any better, i still never pick this beer. The only reason i did a rating is to have a accurate list of beers I've had. I get sad looking at the bottle.lol (198 characters)

I only ever drank this as a teenager desperate for an alcohol supply...it was (and still is) my dad's beer of choice.

It pours a lovely yellow color...that of what I would imagine would be the color of the liquid that sprays from a skunk, which is quite appropriate because that is just about what this beer tastes like. It's so horrendous that I actually used to hold my nose while drinking it to cut down on the affect on my palate. Tastes like skunked beer with a touch of third world wheat. As in, wheat from a patch that people have been using as a latrine.

Mouthfeel is actually not horrible, but the taste is so overwhelmingly bad that it's still awful. Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. Overall, this is something you should only drink when dying of thirst. Even then, maybe you should just forgo it and die with dignity. (846 characters)

Bottle. Pale yellow colour no head at all. Aroma almost nothing. Light body.Weak and watery. Maybe citrus in taste. This is not a beer. Some people say that there is a place for this beer, the beach. Not for me not even there. Avoid it at all costs !!! (252 characters)

Oh Christ, why did they offer me this? Corona. Comes in clear bottles, so you can see the light colour of the brew and possibly get that skunked smell and taste. Pours a very pale, pale yellow and gold colour that you can see through like a pair of contact lenses. No head whatsoever. Add a little salt, you barely get a bubble. Smelled skunky. Every Corona I've had, which isn't very many, had this skunked smell. It is so overpowering that any malt or hop scent is undetectable. Sour tasting. Add a lime, and it's barely tolerable. Mostly because you can taste the lime. The aftertaste is a sour/bitter combination. Perhaps some evidence of hops? Sorry, not enough. Thin, light, watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't want to drink this at all. One of the biggest overhyped and worst beers one can get. (794 characters)

Is this beer? I will drink this if someone pays for it in the summer and there is nothing else to drink. I think its quite insulting to call this beer to be honest. Yes its refreshing but its not beer... Its a soft drink! (221 characters)

I will never get why this beer is so popular and how people think they have a distinguished taste by drinking it because it's not bud light. The only time it's acceptable to drink corona is at a beach party with buddies. Other than this, Corona serves no purpose. An absolute sorry excuse for a beer. Tastes, smells, looks, and drinks terrible. I would much rather go with a Tecate or Negra Modelo if I want something south of the border. (438 characters)

Picked up a 24oz clear painted bottle (we've all seen the style) at the Lebanon Village Market for a paltry $2.29. Code JF16C064 20:24 printed on the neck. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A giant wave of skunk assaults my nose immediately after popping the cap. Into the glass it goes, where it explodes in a massively fizzy Alka-Seltzer head that's completely gone in a matter of seconds. Seriously, there's absolutely nothing, not even a single bubble. The abundant carbonation rising from this clear watery yellow #4 liquid bursts immediately upon hitting the surface. Smell is a combination of various skunkinesses: musty skunk, rancid skunk, vomit skunk. Mouthfeel is watery and offensively fizzy, I can feel bubbles forming on my teeth as if I were swishing peroxide. Taste is a mellower version of the smell- no more, no less, and equally terrible.

I'm not sure what I hate more: the beer itself, or the mindless fanboi zombie culture that loves it. Yea, on about 3 seconds of contemplation, I'm sure I hate the idea of Corona even more than I hate Corona itself (and that's saying a lot). This beer, probably more than anything else on earth ever spawned from a very unlucky yeast cell, has a huge following built on nothing but image and advertising dollars. If there is such a thing as Yeast Reincarnation, no doubt only those unfortunate fungal microbes with the worst sort of karma would ever find themselves in a vat of Corona wort. (1,453 characters)

A. very plain in its appearance. its bright yellow color is not to be desired.

S. there is little to no aroma to this type of beer, unless you add lime to it like most people do.

T. with out the lime it is very bland. with the lime it is better but then you're spitting out pulp most of the time.

M. nothing special about the mouthfeel

D. this is just another beer to use to get drunk with. (394 characters)

There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said before. It's a pale yellow liquid with no aroma. I bought a sixer to make some micheladas at a party. Use only when mixing. I really have to give this a more objective review. It just really took me off guard at the time I had it. I just couldn't drink it.
(rated Jun 12, 2008) (326 characters)

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.