Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Someone gave me one of these the other day, and I hadn't had one in well over a year and couldn't even remember what it tasted like, but I did remember enough about the taste to know that I preferred with a lime, but for the sake of a BA rating I took a few sips before I put the lime into it as to not taint the actually smell and taste with an outside source.

Pours light yellow with a moderate amount of carbonation and a frothy white head that dissipates.

Has a lot of weird smells going on. Skunky, metalish, corn adjuncts.

Tastes similar. A little bit skunky and metalish but not so horrible that you want to spit it out all over the place, I just kept thinking to myself, what the hell is that taste? It is drinkable but I can remember why I prefer these things with a lime it it.

KBoudreau66, Mar 07, 2009

A- Pale yellow.

S- To me it smelled like skunk cabbage or marijuana with a little bit of corn. Mabey its just me but it smells really odd.

T- Boring. Just tastes like straight up corn and not much else. Its not bad, just really boring.

D- Average.

SodoSyco, Oct 17, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

I have had this beer a few times, but this is based on my last encounter with this brew while vacationing in Mexico. Poured a pale yellow color with no head and lacing. A lot of carbonation. Smell and taste of mild skunk which was improved by couple of limes I jammed in there. It was a hot day by the pool, so I did not mind it as much, but not something I would go and buy.

jojoluvsbeer, Mar 27, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Mediocre beer. There’s nothing special about Corona Extra, and I don’t understand its popularity. Yet, it seems to be among the very best selling beers, and even gets high marks around here.

This is a one-dimensional beer. Starting at the top, it has a pronounced bitter hop presence, but with one with no variety at all. Just brute force bitterness that tastes more like jalapeno than hops. If you’ve never tasted a brew that has several varieties of hops flavors – flavors, not just harshness – then I guess you might accept what you get with Corona as real hop flavoring. But, compared to the depth and dimension of hop flavor in beers as widely varying as Coor’s Batch 19 [a veritable object lesson in subtle-but-present, multi-level hop flavoring] and Half Acre Brewery Daisy Cutter, Corona seems cheap and crude.

But the body of the beer – its main flavor – is what really sinks it. The flavor is that of an oddly rubbery-compound tasting liquid. Not pleasant. No complexity. Take away the harsh jalapeno bitterness, and what you’re left with is a one dimensional beer of no particular high quality. Compared to the bursting complexity of Stroh’s, it’s a one-note bitter pill. As I said, I just don’t understand its popularity.

MikeP, Sep 30, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Corona, the king of imports. At least in Joe Public's eyes.

This beer pours without any head, rather a slight white fizz. Pale yellow, completely clear.

Not an entirely horrid aroma. Very grainy and grassy. Reminds you of standing in a wet field.

The flavor could certainly be worse. A rather sweet taste, absolutely no bitterness at all. The adjuncts are well hidden. This has a lot of grainy base malt flavor and is shockingly even-keeled. Almost tempting for me to say it is not bad for this style.

The mouthfeel is a horrid mess. Slimy but completely lacking body. Seltzer water, served flat.

After remembering how disgusting Corona Light is, I figured this would also be terrible. It actually shattered my expectations, and forced me to reconcile my preconceived notions about not just beer, but life. Just kidding. It's not THAT good.

cnally, Mar 09, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

12oz. can into pint glass. With wedge of lime.

A: Clear yellow with no head. Very carbonated.

S: Nothing really except sweet alcohol.

T/M/D: Lime is the strongest as it overpowers the very week and watery taste of the beer. Too much fizziness. It is however refreshing and crisp as it is still a good summer beer to drink down by the beach. It actually tastes better from the can with a lime pushed in it.

Cheers!

mnrider, Sep 09, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

A-Piss yellow with bubbles.

S-Incredibly skunky. Just straight skunk ass...and corn?

T-Corn. grains. artificial sweetness. Really bad. Skunk ass again. Better than the light but still really bad.

M-Very bubbly and quite watery.

D-Out of all the large scale beers out there I think Corona pisses me off the most. Only really enjoyable with a lime.

VelvetExtract, Sep 08, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Like a couple of guys pointed out, it's probably a mistake to review Corona in early spring, indoors without sunshine, bugs, sweat, and a hammock. No lime included today.
Ap. Poured a pale golden yellow with a decent head that stayed around, although very thin. (Second mistake, pouring it out of the bottle.)
Sm. (third mistake?) grain, corn.
Ta. Without the lime, there is a light grainy sweetness, and a kind of chemical aftertaste.
Mf. Thin, but with nice carbonation.
Dr. Based on this one today, I'd have to say not so much. But based on last summer (hammock,sweat,lime) it's very very drinkable. I think more research is necessary.

deaconoflove, Apr 07, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

the appearance wasnt anything to brag about. its a very pale yellow. smell is ok, not a distinct hint of hops or anything. the taste was almost like a perrier or other sparkling waters. mouthfeel was good. drinkability was good, especially in the heat

sachsich, Jul 04, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy head that goes to nothing in minutes and no lacing. Aroma is of a typical macro beer with corn, and some hops with a skunky odor that is hallmark of the brand. Taste is also a bit skunky, but the lime and salt definitely helped cover it up. Very thin and highly carbonated but slightly refreshing on a hot sunny day.

beerman1, Apr 20, 2012
2.32/5  rDev +0.4%

Rage-83, Oct 16, 2014
2.32/5  rDev +0.4%

Fatty_Mccracken, Aug 23, 2014
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

24 oz. can purchased for around $2.25 in Easthampton, MA on 10/26/2010.

A- Poured aggressively reveals a thin, extremely bubbly seltzer-like head of about 1 finger. Dissipates quickly leaving small bubbles in what I can only explain as an "attempted" lacing on the glass. Color is the color of bright hay in the sun- nearly see-through. Average appearance for your average light beer.

S- Sulphuric borderline vegetable smells, faint aroma of floral interpretations. Where the hell are the malts & hops? adjunct city here.

T- Is this water? Tastes like a seltzer with some corn & rice thrown in with a tonic-like aftertaste reminiscent of astringent horehound, but less quenching. Bitter ending, but not bitter like us hopheads like. Might as well buy a seltzer water and add some overcooked sticky rice and corn kernels.

M- Completely average for the adjunct style. Thin & clean.

D- 'On a summer day, pound away, On an autumn night, throw away'. Judging against my seasonal feelings, during summer this beer is better than your average cooler-stuffers to wash down things like barbecued chicken & burgers. So watery, it gives the false illusion of hydration.

Overall, let's face it. This is a corporate mexican beer w/ a ton of advertising that's only tolerable outside of summer if you're a New Englander like me who wants to pretend we're in the tropics during Winter (but only when 7 lime wedges are squeezed and stuck in the glass.)

This will be the last time I pay money for this swill.

shredsofautumn, Oct 26, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

This is not as good a beer as I thought it would be. You MUST shove a lime wedge in the neck of the bottle to fully enjoy it and it really should be a summer, beach beer. Not that good a taste and also not that drinkable. Not worth it, get something better if you want a lighter lager.

smithza9, Feb 27, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a weak pale yellow color with a fizzy head that is about a millimeter and fizzes out instantly and leaves no lacing, no the most appetizing looking beer, carb can be seen rising. Not much of a smell, some malts, some citrus and some sweetnees, weak smell. Taste is the same as the smell, lots of citrus, water, a small malt backbone that dies fast, sweetness too. Yucky mouthfeel, very thin, way too much carbs and a weird citrus malt aftertaste that im not a fan of. Drinkability pros are that it is so light you can drink it like water, cons are that it tastes not so good.

cbutova, Sep 05, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a pale golden colour with a thin white head with almost no retention. There is a collar around the edge of the glass, but no lacing otherwise. Smell is of virtually nothing, which is kind of a relief because I was expecting skunk city. Maybe some grass and corn.

Corona Extra is one of the wateriest beers I have ever consumed. It tastes like damp adjunct corn, with maybe some pale malts. There is a twinge of something resembling bitterness in the finish, but it is not hops, and I lack the beer vocabulary (beercabulary?) to adequately describe this flavour, so I will just say it's not all that pleasant. I don't think this bottle was overly skunked, either, given the neutral odour. Heavily carbonated and wetter than club soda. It's drinkable, but technically you can say that of any liquid that isn't innately poisonous. I am willing to say this about Corona - it is probably not poisonous.

Somehow I have always managed to avoid reviewing Corona all these years, even though I have had at least a dozen of them in the past - all leftovers from a string of parties and visitors. I am still mystified as to how this beer became so popular, or why people are willing to pay what they do for it. I guess marketing really is that powerful. I *do* understand why they keep showing up in my fridge though - I don't think I could stand drinking 5 or 6 of these; I'd be willing to leave the last few bottles behind as well. Well, a few Corona left in the fridge is certainly better than a broken window or barf in the shag carpet.

[Updated March 8 2014]

I picked up a 710 mL bottle, mostly because it was on sale and I wanted the cap for my collection. This beer is just as unimpressive as ever - a pale, sickly yellow colour, with a head that evaporates instantly and an aroma that allows this beer to serve as an effective substitute for skunk pheromone. The only praise I can muster? It actually tastes ok, but that's because it doesn't really taste like much of anything. Served ice cold in hot weather, I can see the appeal, but not at the typical price point.

Final Grade: 2.33, a D+.

thehyperduck, May 29, 2011
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours the lightest pale straw color i've seen in a beer... active bubbles, minimal head. Scent is light, watery with very very very faint notes of straw and hop extract. Taste is also extremely pale, with faint notes of pale straw and hop extract. One item to note, the scent and taste is so faint that there is not much there to signify any cooked vegetable adjunct notes. Light bodies, moderately active carbonation, dry. Not a fantastic beer by any means, but manages to avoid too many off notes. Note: really goes taste better with lime.

rfgetz, Nov 08, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Surprisingly, this beer pours a decent-sized head.. I wasn't expecting that, since if I have to drink this stuff, I drink it straight from the bottle. I don't like to think much about the color of this beer, since it reminds me of urine. The smell is really not very appetizing.. I'm not sure how to describe it, but its not pleasant. This beer really doesn't like much of anything, but it is often fairly skunky. It really tastes MUCH better with a lime in it. As for mouthfeel, it's light-bodied, but leaves a bad aftertaste. It's actually pretty drinkable, unless you prefer beer that actually tastes like something. The main thing I dislike about this beer is how expensive it is, yet its not exactly something of great quality.

67cuda, Dec 29, 2004
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Now, I understand that this board is full of people that strongly believe you have to be able to cut your beer with a knofe. Corona isn't a bad beer. Especially for one day a year. (5/5) I would consider it the best of the shit beers, and I wouldn't be ashamed to have it in my fridge. Of course, right now I have a Bent Tree and a Tripel, but hey, it COULD happen!

BillSempf, May 25, 2003

A - 12 oz bottle pours out a pale yellow. Little head and highly carbonated

S - It smells skunky and of corn.

T- The taste is very watery and has corn and grassy notes to it.

M - A light bodied beer that finishes crisp.

D - It is drinkable, especially on a hot day.

zeff80, Jul 15, 2006

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

The color is a very light yellow, clear, with a tiny white head that does not sustain long.

The smell is a very little grain smell but not very much there.

The taste was light some grain and a little floral hops.

This beers has it's place but it's usually with a lime and some salt and being sipped on a beach somewhere. Not strong, it's real good on a hot day or a BBQ.

Duhast500, Feb 12, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I find it odd/funny when I'm out at a bar and someone (friend or otherwise) tries to act like a beer connoisseur by ordering a Corona. Personally I can't bring myself to drink one, although I have to handle it occasionally when someone buys a round of it. Although it's not undrinkable, the beer is unimpressive and flat. There are much better 'south of the border' beers out there if that's what you're going for.

JamesS, Sep 09, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured pale clear yellow with a white fizzy head and spotty residual lacing.

Lots of sweet boiled grain and sour beer notes here. Also a light metallic edge. Nothing enticing.

More of the same. Smooth corn flavors with some extremely light malt and light bitterness with a surprisingly clean finish. Nothing harsh here, but nothing great either. Watery and no distinctive unique elements.

Good carbonation keeps this from being a complete stinker. Fairly light bodied, so a decent hot weather chugger. This beer is a guilty pleasure for me. I have no trouble downing these with spicy tex-mex or wings or whatever. The lime actually gives it complexity, but if you have to introduce something to the final product, you need to suspect so major faults. There's other much better macro out there, and much better Mexican beer.

OtherShoe2, May 26, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a pale clear straw colour with a very small white head with very little retention. Little to no lacing.

S: I get a very faint grain and corn aroma.

T: It's very watery with a small taste of grain and corn. I almost feel like I get a bit of sourness at the end. It leaves you wanting something more, which would be where the lime comes in. Bit of a skunkiness to it as well.

M: Medium carbonation with a pretty light body. It's quite easy to drink due to there not really being any taste. Make sure to drink it really cold.

D: It's not as bad as I remember but still not anything good. To actually be a good beer I don't think you should have to add anything too it.

marty21, Dec 26, 2010
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

A 710ml clear glass bottle with a BB of April 2013. Picked up from a B&M store recently. Time for a classic macro - go big or go home!

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale-gold colour with good carbonation. Forms a large head of white foam that lasts for a minute or so before subsiding to a thin surface layer. Aroma of faint malt with hints of corn, overcooked veg and stewed leaves. Dry and slightly harsh.

Tastes of ultra light malt with a watery character and a dry finish. Mild hints of corn, stewed veggies, harsh leaves and a faint sweetness. Highly attenuated, with some unpleasantly acrid off-notes in the background. A very subtle bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is thin, watery and dry, with tingly carbonation. Rather astringent, with an aftertaste of faint corn/stewed veg and a residual harshness.

Meh - a pretty crappy macro lager. I've had this plenty of times when I was younger (and more ignorant). Initially it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but hints of corn quickly materialise as it starts to warm up. Very bland, with almost no aroma and little flavour to speak of. It's just not that good and has to be ice-cold to be palatable. Don't follow in the footsteps of millions; instead give it a miss and drink something good.

jazzyjeff13, Jan 14, 2013
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.