Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

the appearance wasnt anything to brag about. its a very pale yellow. smell is ok, not a distinct hint of hops or anything. the taste was almost like a perrier or other sparkling waters. mouthfeel was good. drinkability was good, especially in the heat

sachsich, Jul 04, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a very pale yellow color with a fizzy head that goes to nothing in minutes and no lacing. Aroma is of a typical macro beer with corn, and some hops with a skunky odor that is hallmark of the brand. Taste is also a bit skunky, but the lime and salt definitely helped cover it up. Very thin and highly carbonated but slightly refreshing on a hot sunny day.

beerman1, Apr 20, 2012
2.32/5  rDev +0.4%

Rage-83, Oct 16, 2014
2.32/5  rDev +0.4%

Fatty_Mccracken, Aug 23, 2014
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

24 oz. can purchased for around $2.25 in Easthampton, MA on 10/26/2010.

A- Poured aggressively reveals a thin, extremely bubbly seltzer-like head of about 1 finger. Dissipates quickly leaving small bubbles in what I can only explain as an "attempted" lacing on the glass. Color is the color of bright hay in the sun- nearly see-through. Average appearance for your average light beer.

S- Sulphuric borderline vegetable smells, faint aroma of floral interpretations. Where the hell are the malts & hops? adjunct city here.

T- Is this water? Tastes like a seltzer with some corn & rice thrown in with a tonic-like aftertaste reminiscent of astringent horehound, but less quenching. Bitter ending, but not bitter like us hopheads like. Might as well buy a seltzer water and add some overcooked sticky rice and corn kernels.

M- Completely average for the adjunct style. Thin & clean.

D- 'On a summer day, pound away, On an autumn night, throw away'. Judging against my seasonal feelings, during summer this beer is better than your average cooler-stuffers to wash down things like barbecued chicken & burgers. So watery, it gives the false illusion of hydration.

Overall, let's face it. This is a corporate mexican beer w/ a ton of advertising that's only tolerable outside of summer if you're a New Englander like me who wants to pretend we're in the tropics during Winter (but only when 7 lime wedges are squeezed and stuck in the glass.)

This will be the last time I pay money for this swill.

shredsofautumn, Oct 26, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

This is not as good a beer as I thought it would be. You MUST shove a lime wedge in the neck of the bottle to fully enjoy it and it really should be a summer, beach beer. Not that good a taste and also not that drinkable. Not worth it, get something better if you want a lighter lager.

smithza9, Feb 27, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a weak pale yellow color with a fizzy head that is about a millimeter and fizzes out instantly and leaves no lacing, no the most appetizing looking beer, carb can be seen rising. Not much of a smell, some malts, some citrus and some sweetnees, weak smell. Taste is the same as the smell, lots of citrus, water, a small malt backbone that dies fast, sweetness too. Yucky mouthfeel, very thin, way too much carbs and a weird citrus malt aftertaste that im not a fan of. Drinkability pros are that it is so light you can drink it like water, cons are that it tastes not so good.

cbutova, Sep 05, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a pale golden colour with a thin white head with almost no retention. There is a collar around the edge of the glass, but no lacing otherwise. Smell is of virtually nothing, which is kind of a relief because I was expecting skunk city. Maybe some grass and corn.

Corona Extra is one of the wateriest beers I have ever consumed. It tastes like damp adjunct corn, with maybe some pale malts. There is a twinge of something resembling bitterness in the finish, but it is not hops, and I lack the beer vocabulary (beercabulary?) to adequately describe this flavour, so I will just say it's not all that pleasant. I don't think this bottle was overly skunked, either, given the neutral odour. Heavily carbonated and wetter than club soda. It's drinkable, but technically you can say that of any liquid that isn't innately poisonous. I am willing to say this about Corona - it is probably not poisonous.

Somehow I have always managed to avoid reviewing Corona all these years, even though I have had at least a dozen of them in the past - all leftovers from a string of parties and visitors. I am still mystified as to how this beer became so popular, or why people are willing to pay what they do for it. I guess marketing really is that powerful. I *do* understand why they keep showing up in my fridge though - I don't think I could stand drinking 5 or 6 of these; I'd be willing to leave the last few bottles behind as well. Well, a few Corona left in the fridge is certainly better than a broken window or barf in the shag carpet.

[Updated March 8 2014]

I picked up a 710 mL bottle, mostly because it was on sale and I wanted the cap for my collection. This beer is just as unimpressive as ever - a pale, sickly yellow colour, with a head that evaporates instantly and an aroma that allows this beer to serve as an effective substitute for skunk pheromone. The only praise I can muster? It actually tastes ok, but that's because it doesn't really taste like much of anything. Served ice cold in hot weather, I can see the appeal, but not at the typical price point.

Final Grade: 2.33, a D+.

thehyperduck, May 29, 2011
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours the lightest pale straw color i've seen in a beer... active bubbles, minimal head. Scent is light, watery with very very very faint notes of straw and hop extract. Taste is also extremely pale, with faint notes of pale straw and hop extract. One item to note, the scent and taste is so faint that there is not much there to signify any cooked vegetable adjunct notes. Light bodies, moderately active carbonation, dry. Not a fantastic beer by any means, but manages to avoid too many off notes. Note: really goes taste better with lime.

rfgetz, Nov 08, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Surprisingly, this beer pours a decent-sized head.. I wasn't expecting that, since if I have to drink this stuff, I drink it straight from the bottle. I don't like to think much about the color of this beer, since it reminds me of urine. The smell is really not very appetizing.. I'm not sure how to describe it, but its not pleasant. This beer really doesn't like much of anything, but it is often fairly skunky. It really tastes MUCH better with a lime in it. As for mouthfeel, it's light-bodied, but leaves a bad aftertaste. It's actually pretty drinkable, unless you prefer beer that actually tastes like something. The main thing I dislike about this beer is how expensive it is, yet its not exactly something of great quality.

67cuda, Dec 29, 2004
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Now, I understand that this board is full of people that strongly believe you have to be able to cut your beer with a knofe. Corona isn't a bad beer. Especially for one day a year. (5/5) I would consider it the best of the shit beers, and I wouldn't be ashamed to have it in my fridge. Of course, right now I have a Bent Tree and a Tripel, but hey, it COULD happen!

BillSempf, May 25, 2003

A - 12 oz bottle pours out a pale yellow. Little head and highly carbonated

S - It smells skunky and of corn.

T- The taste is very watery and has corn and grassy notes to it.

M - A light bodied beer that finishes crisp.

D - It is drinkable, especially on a hot day.

zeff80, Jul 15, 2006

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

The color is a very light yellow, clear, with a tiny white head that does not sustain long.

The smell is a very little grain smell but not very much there.

The taste was light some grain and a little floral hops.

This beers has it's place but it's usually with a lime and some salt and being sipped on a beach somewhere. Not strong, it's real good on a hot day or a BBQ.

Duhast500, Feb 12, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I find it odd/funny when I'm out at a bar and someone (friend or otherwise) tries to act like a beer connoisseur by ordering a Corona. Personally I can't bring myself to drink one, although I have to handle it occasionally when someone buys a round of it. Although it's not undrinkable, the beer is unimpressive and flat. There are much better 'south of the border' beers out there if that's what you're going for.

JamesS, Sep 09, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured pale clear yellow with a white fizzy head and spotty residual lacing.

Lots of sweet boiled grain and sour beer notes here. Also a light metallic edge. Nothing enticing.

More of the same. Smooth corn flavors with some extremely light malt and light bitterness with a surprisingly clean finish. Nothing harsh here, but nothing great either. Watery and no distinctive unique elements.

Good carbonation keeps this from being a complete stinker. Fairly light bodied, so a decent hot weather chugger. This beer is a guilty pleasure for me. I have no trouble downing these with spicy tex-mex or wings or whatever. The lime actually gives it complexity, but if you have to introduce something to the final product, you need to suspect so major faults. There's other much better macro out there, and much better Mexican beer.

OtherShoe2, May 26, 2009
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a pale clear straw colour with a very small white head with very little retention. Little to no lacing.

S: I get a very faint grain and corn aroma.

T: It's very watery with a small taste of grain and corn. I almost feel like I get a bit of sourness at the end. It leaves you wanting something more, which would be where the lime comes in. Bit of a skunkiness to it as well.

M: Medium carbonation with a pretty light body. It's quite easy to drink due to there not really being any taste. Make sure to drink it really cold.

D: It's not as bad as I remember but still not anything good. To actually be a good beer I don't think you should have to add anything too it.

marty21, Dec 26, 2010
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

A 710ml clear glass bottle with a BB of April 2013. Picked up from a B&M store recently. Time for a classic macro - go big or go home!

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale-gold colour with good carbonation. Forms a large head of white foam that lasts for a minute or so before subsiding to a thin surface layer. Aroma of faint malt with hints of corn, overcooked veg and stewed leaves. Dry and slightly harsh.

Tastes of ultra light malt with a watery character and a dry finish. Mild hints of corn, stewed veggies, harsh leaves and a faint sweetness. Highly attenuated, with some unpleasantly acrid off-notes in the background. A very subtle bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is thin, watery and dry, with tingly carbonation. Rather astringent, with an aftertaste of faint corn/stewed veg and a residual harshness.

Meh - a pretty crappy macro lager. I've had this plenty of times when I was younger (and more ignorant). Initially it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but hints of corn quickly materialise as it starts to warm up. Very bland, with almost no aroma and little flavour to speak of. It's just not that good and has to be ice-cold to be palatable. Don't follow in the footsteps of millions; instead give it a miss and drink something good.

jazzyjeff13, Jan 14, 2013
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

Served in its proper glassware, the bottle, with a wedge of lime. Normally I´d eschew the beer in the bottle and fruit thing. But as far as I can tell this is the proper serving technique. There´s still that cheap, grainy flavor, but the fruit helps make this drinkable and not an unpleasant experience. Try this once and call it a cultural experience.

tempest, Mar 12, 2007
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

The first time I had a Corona, I had it without a lime. It went down rough. Let me tell you. It's strange how much of a significant difference the lime makes. It changes this beer from piss in a bottle into a drinkable beer. The one thing that bothers me though is the fact that no place on the bottle tells you to do this, unlike some other beers. Take Blue Moon for example. It says specifically on the bottle that you should have it with a slice of orange (which is a good suggestion if you ask me), however, Corona never says that other than in their ads. So if you ask me, as a beer by itself? You might as well just drink toilet water.

tajiandemello, Sep 07, 2011

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - basic yellow, small white head that dissipates quickly.

S - smells skunky, grassy, traces of alcohol

T&M - average carbonation, skunky taste, and the finish is not smooth

D - I'll admit, that if I'm lying on a beach chair and someone hands be a cold corona with a lime; I'll drink it. But it is a poor beer.

spinrsx, Jul 20, 2010
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

I must concede before I start that I rather like Corona for sentimental reasons and buy it a few times a year. That said, from a critical standpoint it isn't very good.

A- Straw (piss?) yellow, bubbly. Comes in it's fairly recognizable clear, long-neck bottle. Since the bottles are clear this stuff is usually skunked if you buy it in a 6 pack. Get a 12'er that comes in an opaque box and it's usually better.

T- eh. Has a light taste with little distinctness. Has a little bit of spice on the front. Consequently, it pairs fairly well with a wide range of foods, particularly spicy ones. Lime improves, but that's cheating.

M- Fizzy, pretty refreshing. Rather nice on a hot day, this one is a thirst quencher.

D- Goes down easy because of it's lightness. Illogically fun to drink.

Overall, as a beer lover I can't say Corona is very good. But, I think fondly of this beer. If I'm in the mood it certainly scratches that itch for something light and crisp. That said, Bohemia is infinitely better if you want something from Mexico.

If you do buy this beer, as I said make sure to get it in a 12 pack. I've never bought a sixer that wasn't skunked.

gh02t, Feb 22, 2011

12 Ounce clear bottle

Appearance: Light yellow color with little carbonation and little head

Smell: Hard to pick up on anything

Taste: Lacking any real taste but what is there is slightly sweet but almost bready tasting. There is very little bitterness at all until it starts to warm up but even then it is not a good bitter.

Comments: Not really an off taste until it warms up and then it is not good to drink at all. Refreshing while still cold without a lime it is plain but with a lime it is not too bad (I know fruit shouldn't be added but trying it with and without is a good idea)

ruckus232, Feb 12, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

A terrible beer by comparison

the smell taste and look of the beer are pretty bland, so it basically makes for a watered down soda with a small amount of alcohol in it.

On a hot summer day or just on a regular night while watching a fight or a game this can be an extremely good beer to just kick back and hammer. Dont have to worry about tasting notes/savoring. I can drink 12 of these in one night with no problem...minus the stumbling

mmedina210, Feb 06, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A 12 oz. bottle, courtesy of my office's "Friday at 4" Design Committee (it's an architecture firm thing, the 'design' part, not necessarily the beer choice part). I feel like I should be drinking this straight from the bottle, with a lime wedge planted in the neck, but instead I've poured to a pint glass.

A: Pale straw color, perfectly clear. A few streams of rising carbonation to a thin film of white; really it's a thin ring of foam with a clustered haze in the middle. Fair amount of sticking white lace, in rings

S: Sadly, skunky at first whiff. A clear bottle makes no sense, but it's what this brewer insists upon. Skunk fades of then it becomes bitter hopping and stale malt; where's my lime? Something needs to kill this aroma...

T: Some corn and clean bitter hops, sweetened malt and a little citrus zest. I give this an 'average', as it's really no better or worse than anything of the style I've tried.

M: Crisp and reasonably clean. Requisite lightness with some dry bitterness.

D: Not 'undrinkable' but I'd only have this as a 'last resort'; maybe if the local water was unsafe to drink. I tried this today merely because it had been so long since I'd had one and (funny) it was the six-pack that had the most bottles left at the end of the day (I believe 5 of 6 remained). Not recommended, but I'm glad I tried this again as a reminder of why craft beer is the path I've chosen...

msubulldog25, Jun 16, 2007
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

Look: Pale straw in colour, light lacing, drank from the bottle so no head. To be honest, looks like piss.

Smell: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Slightly skunky, smells like a weak (in flavour) Euro Pale Lager.

Taste: Bland to start, difficult to pull apart any flavours. Perhaps a bit of grain or corn, with a lingering aftertaste that's just generally unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation - fizzes up like a soft drink on the tongue, but feels quite thin and watery.

Overall: I felt that beers like Corona and Sol get a hard time on this site, but going from this session, it's fairly deserved. There really isn't much to taste from this beer. However, I do think that I'd enjoy this one ICE cold, on a hot day, with a wedge of lime in the neck. The beer itself has a refreshing quality already but that's more to do with the feel and coldness than anything else.

killianf, Mar 25, 2012
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.