Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.74/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance – Crystal clear yellow colour like urine (sorry but it is true). Tiny white lace head that does not retain well at all.

Smell – Pretty heavy aroma of ethonal alcohol, aromas of sulphur stewed vegetables and an odd fusty smell that is very unpleasant.

Taste – Flavours of cooked corn with some light sweetness. A tiny amount of Hop bitterness helps to make it drinkable but this is basically a bland vehicle for alcohol.

Mouthfeel – Crisp carbonation holds a light to medium body. Zero linger as there is little flavour to speak of.

Overall – Popular with the 18 to 20 somethings at university. This beer is really only drinkable with half a lime wedged in the neck of the bottle and chilled to the point were your taste buds can’t tell what you are actually drinking.

BeerDrinkersWorldTour, Oct 19, 2014
2.16/5  rDev -6.5%

Last time I had a Corona was in my dad's garage with some Mexicans. I don't quite remember liking it very much, and that was about 6 years ago. $1 special, right here.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured for appearance

Appearance (2) : Sudsy white 1 finger head with a bubbly champagne-like appearance. Light gold/hay color with carbonation bubbles lining the body of the glass.

Smell (2.75) : While I was pouring it this really gross dirty diaper/urine smell permeated the air. As I lean in close and sniff the glass, I get a more pleasant scent. Buttered biscuit, cracker, aluminum or tin, mossy water, and some hay. Slightly above average.

Taste (2) : Refreshing but has an off-putting sour corn bitterness. It's really not a horrible taste, but it isn't good, either. I feel like if I drink more of it I will get sick because it's fermented. Ugh. Tin and fermentation. I do honestly feel I will get sick if I drink more. Sour corn, bitter grass, just something rotting. It keeps coming back. Rotting. Does "don't drink the water" in Mexico translate to "don't drink the beer"?

Mouthfeel (2.5) : Slightly creamy but mostly carbonated.

Overall (2.07) : I do feel like I wasted a dollar. I'm not kidding. I will probably pour the rest of this down the drain for fear of illness. Never ever felt that way about a beer before this one. I'd avoid it if I were you. Worst part is, over half the beer is left. Probably the worst lager I've had in a long time, if not ever.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Sep 05, 2014
1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

A guy came into my craft beer store and asked if I had Corona. I gave him some snitty reply like: "We don't sell bad beer here." Afterwards I felt like a snob and I hate that so I decided to try this beer one more time with a unbiased mindset. Got the classic clear bottle from a bodega in Brooklyn.

A: Looks exactly like a good pee. Not too dark or light. Just a perfect pee colour. I mean you could feed this through a tube and use it to make special effects pee in a movie. Very little carbonation that fades instantly.

S: Smells very lightly of corn and rotting veggies. Is this really beer or some sort of corn wine? No hops or malt present in the aroma at all.

T: I can't believe I guzzled this down in college. Either my pallet has grown or I was just too drunk to notice but this is one bad tasting beer. The only consolation is it doesn't have much taste at all. But what it does have is rotten asparagus and old canned corn. Faintly, in the back.

M: Mouthfeel like canada dry seltzer. I guess this is why people like to drink it in the summer cause I like a nice seltzer on a hot day but the effect for me is ruined by subtle under taste of rust, can corn and rotten garbage.

D: Went down very easy but I did not enjoy it as it went down. As this is basically badly flavored seltzer water I got close to my college chugging record of 2 seconds with this beer. Made me flashback to vomiting in a trashcan as I finished it. Maybe I am the wrong kind of person to drink this beer as I have been exposed to good tasting beer. I have decided I will never taste it again. Praise Jah in all his glory. Never again.

So it seems I am not a snob after all. This beer is a marketing fraud perpetrated on the people of the earth. Not at all beer, it is my opinion that it is a badly made mixed drink that someone allowed some salad to fall into. Should this beer even be on the site? Is there a minimum amount of malt and hops you need to have in the beverage in ratio to other ingredients in order to be called beer? The only reason for a person to buy or drink this beer is because in your subconscious one has been programed to think that this beer is really refreshing on a hot day. It is not even that refreshing when you consider the other options available. Even PBR would be a better BBQ beer because it has that same refreshing effect without the garbage and corn flavor. Wow. Nobody should drink this so they go out of business. I feel for all the working class hispanics in my neighborhood who can only afford this beer to drink. Modelo is lying and stealing from customers and using the mass media to brainwash them into thinking it is a drinkable beer. It is not at all. My Final Verdict: Bad

P.S. Anyone who says this beer tastes of citrus or it tastes "limey" should think about the fact that they might have put a lime in the beer and that might be where the taste came from. If so that is not good reviewing because we are not here to review the lime juice that is added. I did not use a lime and I am here to tell you that this beer has ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, no lime or citrus flavor at all. Not even a little bit. Nope you are totally wrong if you think there is. Try again with out the lime in it, it really has no lime flavor. None whatsoever. Really, Seriously. No lime. Not even a hint of citrus. None. Nada...

geovitray, Jul 17, 2010

Hiimlarry, 3 minutes ago
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Swaino, Today at 03:42 AM
4.2/5  rDev +81.8%

I created an account and gave this beer a 5 simply to try and offest all the terribly negative reviews. This is a mass-produced pale lager. It's not going to be anything like your supah-fancy exquiste craft brews. Alone, without the customary lime, it is sorta nasty and smells skunky. And it looks like straight up piss. But add that magical slice of lime- make sure to squeeze out all the juices, I mean really lime it up, use a gigantic slice of lime, and BAM, you have a kick-ass refreshing beverage. Sure- it's not really the beer we are reviewing at this point, more of a beer-lime shandy type thing, but my god, it is refreshing and delicious. Tell me a better beer to put a lime in. This blows Bud Light Lime out of the water. It is cheap and refreshing. Also, by sheer chance, my review averaged out to a rating of 4.20. Blaze up fellow beer advocates. And suck my lime flavored dick for dissing on Corona.

HOLOGRAPHICpizza, Today at 12:10 AM

Serving Type: 330 mL Bottle

In a time when the weather is going rapidly downhill, I snagged a 12 pack of bottles to remind of my last trip to Mexico.

A- Pours a pale golden colour that is topped by a thin, quickly dissipating head. Not exactly what I would call a desirable appearance but it fills the void.

S- The aroma of this beer is intensely bready. Mainly biscuits in the nose. A little bit of harsh alcohol in the nose as well.

T- When most people stuff a wedge of lime into your beer, that's a pretty good hint that you shouldn't expect much from the taste. Tastes a bit like sweet corn that is finished by an odd sour bitterness that is quite off-putting. No wonder people usually put a lime in.

M- The only thing that Corona really has going for it is the mouthfeel. Beautifully crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation with practically no body.

O- If you have a warm day on the Gulf of Mexico, a white sand beach, and a lime, you have the perfect time for a Corona. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain this brew.

PorterPro125, Wednesday at 10:51 PM

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

torwart68, Saturday at 09:23 PM

gmag51, Saturday at 08:31 PM

Trashcat, Saturday at 05:41 PM

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 35.5 cl - Batch LA 040915. AROMA: faint sweet and corn’ish like aroma. very faint hop aromas. APPEARANCE: pale straw color and translucent. thin white head with poor retention. TASTE: extremely watered down cereal flavour. low bitterness with a dry finish. no hop flavour. PALATE: thin body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: a watered down premium lager that lacks the "premium".

titvs, Nov 22, 2014

DCLAguy11, Nov 19, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +47.2%

MichaelPiazza, Nov 19, 2014

Swabay, Nov 19, 2014
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.