1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Ratings: 3,122 | Reviews: 1,060 | Show All Ratings:
WilliamAlbrecht

2.85/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: It looks like liquid gold. What can I say? Don't judge a book by its cover. This is NOT a good brew. With less than a half of an inch head that quickly fades! Little to NO lacing!

Smell: Bittersweet malts..I get a hint of them--but I am not enticed.

Taste: A bit sweet, and definitely bitter. Doomed from the start with its clear glass. Trust me, the taste is not befitting of its multi million dollar ad campaign. Utterly waste of time drinking this. If you haven't had Corona before, trust me, skip this and introduce yourself to class brews!

Mouthfeel: I enjoy a bit of carbonation, but Corona kicks it into another gear. Perhaps in the desire to have someone believe their thirst is actually being quenched. The skunk like feel in your mouth is also ever so present. This is not a quality beer. I'm sorry for being so repetitive!

Overall- Below average. Not particularly impressed. I wouldn't rush out to buy a six pack or get me a serving on draft. In fact, I wouldn't drink this..again..period.

Serving type: I've had this on tap and in bottle before. I've had this in the US of A and straight from a brewery before as well. It's not good.

12-01-2012 05:22:49 | More by WilliamAlbrecht
jegross2

1.02/5  rDev -55.5%

Greetings from Mexico! I swear that I am relaxing. However, I thought that while I am here, I would review some of the local brews I had access to, so…

Reviewing Corona Extra and Corona Light side by side! Both are brewed by Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V., the same people who brew Modelo and Pacifico.
Corona Extra Score: 15
Corona Light Score: 35

My Corona Extra (left) was a tap pour served in a plastic cup. My Corona Light (right) came from a can, served in what looks like a pilsner glass of sort. Do not ask why one is in a plastic cup because there is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Appearance (Corona Extra): Pours a pretty transparent yellow, honey-brown color – almost cider like – with just under a half finger of frothy white head that dissipates into a lacing atop the beer. Come to think of it, this beer looks more like vitamin-heavy urine. Average lacing. 1.5/5

Appearance (Corona Light): Pours a much brighter yellow color than the Corona Extra, almost like a pinot (white wine). Thin layer of bubbly white head on pour that quickly settles into nothing. Below average lacing. 1/5
___

Smell (Corona Extra): Limes, corn and a little grain. A little “skunky” funk to the hops aroma. Has a light, acidic “white wine” aroma. 1/5

Smell (Corona Light): Still getting lime, but no real “skunky” hops funk. Perhaps because there is less of a skunked hops funk, I am also detecting more of the “white wine” aroma that I detected in the Corona Extra. Lighter corn/grains smell. Very flat. 1.5/5
___

Taste (Corona Extra): OK. If the aroma did not give this away, this beer is skunked. That seems a little odd, since it came from a keg…Besides the signature “Heineken flavor” (pre-skunked beer), I am also detecting a little lime and a lot of corn. The corn is a little malty. Also getting some stainless steel flavor. 1/5

Taste (Corona Light): Very crisp lime and corn flavor. Refreshing. No real linger, and a much subtler stainless steel flavor. 1.5/5
___

Mouthfeel (Corona Extra): Light bodied, low-medium carbonation. Honestly surprised by how little carbonation there is. Finish is pungent and acidic. 1/5

Mouthfeel (Corona Light): Light bodied, high-medium carbonation. Slightly bitter and acidic finish. 1/5
___

Overall: There is a reason the Bloody Mary is my drink of choice on vacation. Maybe a bad keg biased my Corona Extra experience, but this is my only Corona Extra experience and it was pretty unbearable. I wanted to drain pour it, but I do not think that you can do that in a pool. The Corona Light was a serious step up, but that’s not saying much. I really cannot say that I will ever drink either beer again. Ever. Seriously. I’d honestly rather drink a Keystone Light. USA! USA! USA!

Recommendations: Do not drink this stuff. It is objectively less “tasty” than Miller Lite. Casual beer drinkers should be ashamed.

Pairings: Lime wedge.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 pack of either.

01-09-2012 04:57:27 | More by jegross2
CuriousMonk

2.95/5  rDev +28.8%

The only reason why I am even rating this beer is because I had it on tap for the first time ever which is really rare. My wife and I went to Mexico at an all-inclusive resort and they had Corona on draft. Usually poured into a tall glass. Pours golden, without any head, some bubbles. Grassy hops aroma hit as soon as I first taste it, then some sweet notes came through as the beer wormed up in a glass. Good, medium body. There is a taste to this brew, although not much -- some light hops and some sweet notes. Definitely a lager to drink in the heat or when eating Mexican food.

01-24-2011 01:03:22 | More by CuriousMonk
ThaCreep

1.75/5  rDev -23.6%

Does the nose of lime is due to the scents of the beverage or just the citrus that automatically served with Corona, I do not know. Anyway, the taste is that of the bottom floor of Adjuncts lagers. Just a little stale cereal in his mouth to support the citrus taste and recalled as a little cactus juice. Finish unconvincing and without great power that recalls both the corn and not too fresh cactus juice. One wonders just how the joke is able to penetrate all markets. Just a little poor thing.

11-14-2010 20:56:46 | More by ThaCreep
santomark

2.98/5  rDev +30.1%

a- Not much going on for the appearance, pretty much all that is going on is that it pours a watered down yellow color with no head.

s- cant really smell the barley but definatly some hop notes.

t- Two ways to have this, either with lime or without. Without the lime its plain. Only thing i can taste is the hop notes. Idk why people have this with lime, all its doing is giving it a sour finish.

m- Carbonated (tickles my tongue) with a light body.

d- Its drinkable, but that's as far as I go, I only drink this when i go to party's (and free). I fail to see the need to go and spend imported beer prices for a beer that I'm going to modify.

07-10-2009 09:31:47 | More by santomark
Brenden

1.53/5  rDev -33.2%

Someone had this on tap for Cinco and my friend begged me to try it because it "has to be better on tap, right?" No. No, it doesn't.

Color is very pale yellow, almost clear. It looks like someone took an already watered-down beer and added water. There is no head or lacing. It looks gross and lame.

Sure, you can tell there are hops if you strain. Primarily, though, somebody bathed a dirty skunk and threw in the bath water. Thank God they added so much water that there's so little of everything else.

Yes, there are malts. Again, you strain to taste them. Hops are the same. I think the skunk peed in the bath. Then someone threw in some lemon peel.

Urine and water. Plus skunk. Not a mouthfeel, I know, but I like to reiterate.

That's about it. I exaggerate a little. Don't pretend you didn't enjoy it.

05-07-2009 15:27:35 | More by Brenden
Stunner97

2.63/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance-- A clear Golden yellow with carbonation up the glass to an almost non existent head.

Smell-- Not to much really, slight grainy hops,

Taste- Very light bodied beer with slight grains and hops, nothing really blows you away in the flavor. Its just a very light in flavor and bodied beer,

Mouthfeel- Light and heavily carbonated

Drinkability- The only thing about this beer thats expected to be decent at all is the drinkability as you can drink it just as good as you could any water you would get from the tap. Gotta be a beer you have ice cold in the summer at the beach or something. Nothing stellar here and if looking for a light beer even Id still go else where.

02-10-2009 16:12:35 | More by Stunner97
weeare138

2.5/5  rDev +9.2%

I intentionally waited this long to review this beer because I've been told that it's actually decent on draft. Well...after finally having it on draft in Mexico, I can put that myth to rest.
Appears a transparent light gold with a thin white head that quickly fizzles away into a mild collar. A few spots are left.
Smell is of lemon and flaked maize. Even the lager yeast seems to be dulled down in the draft version. If there are hops in here, they are extremely mild.
Taste...it is what it is. Crispy cereal with bubbles.
Mouthfeel is spritzy, light bodied, easy to drink, lemony & semi-dry in the finish.

02-04-2009 21:10:03 | More by weeare138
kinger

1.95/5  rDev -14.8%

Not a great beer and absolutely overpriced, but it still hits the spot once in a while. Grainy aroma, very pale yellow pour with a solid white head (at least for a short time), and a semi-crisp feel. Flavor is enjoyable in small quantities and best serves it's purpose on a warm day with a light meal. Overall typical expensive "import" brew, better off spending less on a nice American Wheat.

10-29-2008 00:55:35 | More by kinger
BDIMike

2.45/5  rDev +7%

Pours a golden fizzy clear color with no head at all.
Smell is nothing at all really. A slight bit of bread.
Taste also is nothing much at all.
Mouthfeel is incredibly thin and highly carbonated. Actually what you may want for a warm weather beer.
Drinkability is very good because I could have about 20 of these and not really taste too much. I don't know why I would want to, though. Probably the worst Mexican beer I have ever had.

06-18-2008 01:51:17 | More by BDIMike
gunnerman

1.7/5  rDev -25.8%

On tap at city place in west palm beach, FL for cinco de mayo, poured into a plastic party glass, pours a piss yellow with no head and heavy carbonation bubbles. Usually this beer has a serious smell of skunk, but not today probably from being in the keg, Still it has no distant smell maybe of heavy carbonation. This did not impress me on tap and would only drink if given to me for free,I would never pay for this crap in a bottle.

05-06-2007 13:08:57 | More by gunnerman
Frozensoul327

1.6/5  rDev -30.1%

One of the worst. Before tonight, I had never had Corona. I want my money back. Pours out to a light yellow color with very high carbonation. The head of white foam hung around, but looked like an unflushed urinal at Wrigley Field. Terrible aroma of wet cardboard and wet fart. Taste was similar, but luckily i've never experienced a wet fart (in my mouth, that is). The only redeeming fact was the mouthfeel was decent; aside from that, it's pretty bad all round. I'm gonna pour it out. My recommendations to Corona 1- use brown bottles. 2- use better ingredient 3- Keep this stuff in Mexico until then. Not recommended.

03-04-2006 01:48:32 | More by Frozensoul327
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev +12.7%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water.

01-26-2006 00:58:28 | More by Mebuzzard
ryantupy

2.15/5  rDev -6.1%

I just got back from Mexico and I swear Corona must pour through these tourists veins. The resort had self serve Corona taps next to the self serve soda machines! Naturally I drank the Corona since it was free and hadent had a Corona since I was 17 so thought I would give it a shot.
It poured clear like yellow mexican pee pee with little tiny bubbles. And is that Sulfer or Salt water I smell in the beer? I dunno but hopefully they dident put any of their water in it! It tasted overly carbonated and like a soup made out of salt water, corn, and wheat. Yum Yum! A piece of advice when visiting Mexico. Drink Tequila, Cuban Rum, Absinth, and the real German Jaggermeister with wormwood in it.

07-09-2005 06:47:33 | More by ryantupy
Rumrunner

1.9/5  rDev -17%

From notes. Drank while on vacation at Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
The resort I stayed at must have a deal with Grupo Modelo. The only beers offered at the resort were; Corona Extra on tap, Negra Modelo on tap and Modelo in cans in the rooms refridgerator. Not beer heaven.

The first time I have ever had this beer on tap. I always tell the bartender, "no lime." I really do not like lime in any beer.

This is still a very weak beer in my opinion. On tap was somewhat better than the bottle. Not much though.

Pours a hazy golden straw color. A bit of a head but it leaves quickly. Some lacing but that quickly disappears as well. The scents are dry and sweet. Some corn with a damp hay and wheat smell. A bit of a dry sour hop for the finish. The scents are weak and they do not blend well together.

The flavors do not blend well either. A dry wheat starts the flavors off. A bit of a mild uninspired fruit hop. Some sweet corn and and a dry uneven spice. Note: Why this is better than the bottle? The bottle has a sour finish. The draft does not. The flavors are still weak and not balanced at all. I think the reason people put limes in this beer is to give it some flavor.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery. There is no body what so ever. It does have some refreshing qualities to the drinkability. But refreshing could pertain to a glass of water. On a hot, humid summer day this will cool a person down. I know people who drink this beer and their reasons are based on the fact that a person can drink them non-stop. Why would you want to is what I ask them?

Overall this is one of the worst beers in creation. If this was the bottle version I would have given it an even worse review.

11-04-2003 22:58:33 | More by Rumrunner
peoplewithhands

Nebraska

2.19/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Light gold and bubbly

Smell: skunk

taste: sweet cereal, skunk

Mouth feel: light, watery and carbonated.

Overall: I have had many coronas in my day. It is easy to drink many at once, especially with lime. I actually prefer it over your typical Budweiser or Miller, even with the skunked smell and flavor, but given the choice, I would rather have something else.

04-15-2014 01:56:20 | More by peoplewithhands
iheartmyTHO

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev +43.2%

Honestly, it's not worth drinking Corona if you don't have a wedge of lime to put in it. Drinking Corona on it's own, is just nasty. The only time I find myself drinking this stuff is if I'm getting Mexican food, since it pairs OK, or if I'm at the beach and looking for a cold beer to drink.

03-28-2014 21:45:27 | More by iheartmyTHO
kcrosson492

1.93/5  rDev -15.7%

I haven't had this beer for a while but thanks to Trader Joe's surprise pack I was welcomed with one of these!

A-The bottle is pretty cool but the color is a turnoff.

S-Smells like skunk and pee.

T-Tastes like it smells

M-Weak and just gross.

O-This beer is just as bad as I remembered. I would not suggest it. EVER!

03-03-2014 01:52:17 | More by kcrosson492
VE777

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -7%

I've had many good times on Corona while drinking in Tijuana, Mexico. There is nothing better than some sunshine, tequila and Corona while trotting around the Pacific Ocean with Mexican women.

In any case, while I hate having to review this beer, it's better than any of the American standards: Miller, Bud, Coors, etc.

02-25-2014 05:20:24 | More by VE777
DenisKolkin

Ontario (Canada)

2.51/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

473 ml can served cold into a pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for whatever Corona is going for these days.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yielded only 1/2 finger of fluffy white head which dissipated inside a minute. Pale golden straw color. Some wispy soapy residue left on top once the head is gone. Not terribly impressive. Some decent lacing left on the glass saves this a bit.

Smell - Sweet corn adjunct and absolutely nothing else. Aroma isn't too strong but a bit on the sickly sweet side. Almost a funky bubblegum smell.

Taste - Corn and bubblegum flavored water. No bitterness and rather thin tasting. It's not horrible but definitely very mediocre. Sort of a funky stale chewing gum aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Fairly thin but nothing really wrong here, Ok carbonation too. Thin bodied and watery feel.

Overall - This is a beer where I find the first one tolerable, but from there things go steadily downhill. No lime added here either, I imagine it may make it a little more palatable though.

Serving type: can

02-20-2014 01:00:47 | More by DenisKolkin
SmashPants

Australia

2.6/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: a clear 355mL bottle with a tacky and cheap-looking transluscent macro label.

Appearance: very light yellow in colour with last fluffy bubbles, what little head there was dissipates very quickly.

Aroma: smells of standard American adjunct grains with some corn over the top. Not brilliant.

Taste: the palate is a bit watery for me, not much in the way of flavour. That said, I now live in Queensland where the temperatures and humidity dictate that I need to have a nice cold beer every now and then. Standard grains again here.

Aftertaste: the lack of flavour backs off very quickly which is fine, since this is quite sessional.

Mouth feel: light in body with big carbonation per the American adjunct style.

Overall: an okay sessional beer for the hottest of days, but honestly there are cheaper sessionals around. Corona has dropped in price over the last couple of years by around 25% - maybe people are finally realising that they should judge a beer on its merits rather than its marketing.

01-24-2014 12:13:12 | More by SmashPants
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev +23.6%

The ubiquitous classic. Drank straight from the big bottle.

Hate the color of this, placid yellow with no much life though there is a thin ring of foam. Aroma isn't great, not too skunky thankfully. Flavor is better than i remember, meaning it doesn't taste like piss. Has a semblance of fruit and grain and skunkiness is dialed down. This particular tasting was decent but i've had worse bottles. Wedge of lime might have knocked it a point up ;)

01-16-2014 20:05:34 | More by papat444
Mike_Moe

2.61/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Light straw color, small short lasting blond head.
Aroma: This beer does not much aroma.
Flavor: This beer is not very flavorful. This beer very light bodied, non-hoppy.
Overall: This is alight flavored, light bodied beer. It is very drinkable beer on 100 degree summer day if splashed with a slice of lime.

01-10-2014 05:01:46 | More by Mike_Moe
CFHMagnet

1.7/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Reviewed from notes taken last night, 1/8/14.

This beer pours a hint of white head, and keeps absolutely none of it. No ring, no lace. The body is the color of urine.

The smell is skunky with adjunct. I also get not so fresh grass clippings and not so fresh orange peel.

It starts off with a little buttery cracker taste. It gets a little sweetness to it that I was trying to identify as corn or rice. Grassy finish.

The beer was moderately carbonated. The mouthfeel was the most pleasant part of it. It had a refreshing feeling, was light bodied and just washed down so clean and easy.

01-09-2014 22:52:05 | More by CFHMagnet
utopiajane

3.45/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden straw color with perfect clarity. Only a thin head of loose bubbles that fell pretty fast and left a very thin ring. No lace. Nose is clean. There is a brief hit of mild skunk that fades to reveal sweet grain and a bit of corn sweetness. No fruity esters at all. Taste is light and lively with carbonation. It bites the tongue a bit with bubbles and the grain is husky and lightly sweet. There are no off flavors. The body is thin and watery. The beer is crisp and refreshing. Thirst quenching. It finishes dry with a small touch of hop bitter and the faintest hint of spice in the very last moment of the swallow and it's dry.

This is not at all unpleasant. It is not sour, it is not offensive, The corn sweetness is not syrupy and the lager character is light. It's called a light lager. it's easy to drink and because it does not have any complex flavors it would compliment a variety of food, from Chinese, to Mexican to Italian or just a pastrami sandwich. You don't have to think about this beer it drinks as easily as water with a sessionable abv. There is a faint odor of sulfur that develops as it warms.

12-26-2013 19:06:46 | More by utopiajane
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.