Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,168 | Hads: 4,489
2.9/5  rDev +30%

This is my first review, so I'd like to begin with a true Corona story. My wife and I were entertaining a female business client at our home. I asked this woman (25+ yrs. old) what type of beer she liked to drink and she mentioned "Corona". My wife was a stay at home mom doing an excellent job of taking care of our two young children, and was unaware that the "in thing" to do was to serve the Corona with a little slice of lime in the bottle's neck. When our guest was served the Corona, she was down right insulted that my wife brought it to her in a beer glass (at least it was clean). She chastised my wife for her ignorance and we came close to asking this rude guest to "hit the road". We had a nice dinner anyway, and I learned never to make fun of anyone for bringing me a beer in the "wrong" glass! As a side note, this woman soon lost her job and her descent in our industry has been a precipitous one.

Corona with a lime after a long day's work on the convention floor may not be a belgian trappist ale, but it's not bad either!

2.05/5  rDev -8.1%

Extra? It should be "Lacking" since that is what this brew was in almost every way compared to beers I consider similar to it like Miller, Bud, etc. It's basically yellow water with a slight bit of alcohol in it and I don't see why it's seemingly so popular with bar crowds. If it had a high ABV, at least then it would serve a purpose by getting you buzzed without having to drink a dozen of them. No thanks, I'll pass.

2.42/5  rDev +8.5%

well, i don't rank this beer as low as most on this site obviously. it isn't great, but its not as bad as a bud light either. i would put this as a decent beer to bring to parties, b/c alot of people drink them and you don't feel so bad about sharing something that isn't too precious to your heart. its also good for the girls as they do not tend to be as judgemental about beer as those of us that really care about it. i consider this beer just under average, not good, not terrible, just there...

Bottle from a friend's fridge while house sitting. Pours a urine sample yellow with a foamy, qickly disappearing white head. Aroma is of light skunk and even lighter malt. Taste is thn, watery, cheap commercial malt with no hops to be found antwhere. Watery, somewhat fizzy mouthfeel. Overall, hey it's Corona. If you want flavor either add a lime or order something else

1.19/5  rDev -46.6%

12 oz bottle served cold into a pils glass on a hot and sunny afternoon.
Appearance: Clear, fizzy, pale yellow body with a white head that begins at about one finger in height. The head disappears quickly and leaves no lacing.

Aroma: Skunky, sulfuric, metalic tin, with a note of sweet corn syrup.

Mouthfeel:Light body with fizzy carbonation. Unimpressive.

Taste: Fizzy carbonation dominates the taste, which is, otherwise, near ghastly. Initially, well balanced between skunky sulfuric hops, metallic tin, and notes of corn syrup. Bad tastes balance well? In the middle, a taste of soap suds appears and follows into the aftertaste. Hideous!

Drinkability: The soapy, dishwashing liquid notes ruin everything here. First Corona I've had in years, and certainly the last. I understand why people put a lime in these-to obscure all the off notes. I would pass on this even if I were on the beach in Cozumel.

1.86/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very light straw yellow color with a short lived fizzy white head.

The aroma is mild, corn and wet cardboard.

The taste is watery with a hint of malt and bit of hops bite at the finish, although it is mostly dominated by the carbonation. This definitely needs a piece of lime or lemon stuffed in the bottle to give it some flavor. Ice cold with a bit of lime, this would be a decent thirst quencher on a hot day, if you really don't like the taste of real beer.

It came in a 7 oz bottle, which was enough.

1.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Everybody knows it. I may have one of them once each year or two. So, I saw this single Coronita and I thought that it was my time to review it.

Appearance: It pours a very pale straw color with lots of white foam. It is very piss look-a-like.

Smell: It smells not very good. It can be qualified somewhat between piss, corn, adjunct and faint hops.

Taste: It is average if you add lemon juice. Otherwise, it is just a light malted water with caramel flavours. The taste last short and the aftertaste is also short, but it is more hoppy and yeasty.

Mouthfeel: It is so watery and it got that foamy carbonation thing.

Drinkability: A world-famous brand, but one of the most overrated ones too. I have seen better stuff hecho in Mèxico...

1.42/5  rDev -36.3%

Had a couple of these last night, needless to say, I was not impressed. I decided to drink it by bottle, and even if i did drink it by my prefered pour, I still don't think this review would change. I must say it didn't look like it had any different of an appearance as other lagers. I popped the top off, and right away I got a whiff of skunk, disgusting. Upon my first sip I came to the conclusion that this was basically water with a very limited beer flavour. My opinion didn't change for the rest of the night. Not too bad of a mouthfeel, and its overall bad qualities didn't make it very drinkable. My final thoughts of this beer goes as follows: Way too expensive (not enough bang for your buck, you might as well save the money and buy buck-a-beers), ann completely overrated.

1.11/5  rDev -50.2%

Whoa! Just as nasty as most reviews noted. Good grief, it’s skunky smell lasts thoughout the glass, and the taste – wow, stale ol’ meats . No wonder you pop the lime to it, a 100% improvement (but 100% better than crap is still crap). But I was a trooper and finished it, someone bought it for me and I wasn’t gonna give them the uppity nose act.

2.07/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: Medium yellow with a medium-sized, white, fizzy mostly diminishing head. Sparse lacing early.

Smell: Light malt and citrus over a typical adjunct stink.

Taste: Pretty much the same with a hint of yeast and caramel. The finish is short-medium in duration and very slightly dry... almost impressed me until another wave of adjunct stink hit me.

Mouthfeel: Light body, and a watery... almost oily texture. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: I inherited a 12-pack of this stuff from the weekend, and I think that’s the only way you’ll find it in my fridge again, because I won’t be buying it. Sure, it’s easy to polish one of these off if it’s cold enough, but if that’s the kind of beer you’re going for, there’s far better ones out there that don’t cost as much. I think this is a terribly overrated beer.

1.4/5  rDev -37.2%

Arrrg. It smells like sewage. It sounds like a soda pop when you pour it and looks like pee. The taste is pretty bad. I would rather drink the beast. Mouthfeel is of water. Drinkability not the best. I have always wondered people like this and i don't understand it. Wish i could say more but i can't. oh yeah, and it is too expensive. You might as well by some cheap american crap and throw some lime in that. People who give this good reviews say something like "oh i wouldn't drink it without lime". WTF? Buy something that isn't mexican sewage ass so you don't have to put lime in it! Put lime in something good and see what happens! Totally unecessary. Solution? Get a good brew.

Corona is a beer that you often find in clubs with a slice of lemon or lime in it. Stupid beer advertisers think that by placing a piece of lime and stuff in it, the hip young clubber will buy it so that they may too be snazzy and cool.

Well lets just say, this beer costs too much, its tastes crap, (Bitter with a sugary aftertaste) and it should be avoided if possible.

Dont believe the hype. Pale straw in colour, fizzy, bittersweet mess. Much better beers than this one.

2.1/5  rDev -5.8%

The beer pours that peculiar strain which can only be called corn yellow. It develops a bit of white rocky head. The aroma is of corn malt. The taste is pretty much what you'd expect from a Mexican corn based lager. I was sipping it slowly enough that it warmed and I actually preferred the taste. Once closer to room temp the corn taste became more apparent. The feel was light and oily. This is not an upleasant beer, but it doesn't have much that would grab you. It falls between beers that use a little corn like Dos Eques or Carta Blanca, and those which are proudly corn beer like Tecate or Chihuahua. This middle stance puts it far below any of the other Mexican alternatives.

1.18/5  rDev -47.1%

Pours a two-finger white head that goes quickly and leaves no lace. Yellow color similar to urine. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Slight skunky nose. Starts and finishes very bland, no flavor, qualifies as a poor lawn mower beer. Why did I buy this stuff? I needed the bottle for my collection - now over 1650. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA

3.13/5  rDev +40.4%

Pale straw colored with a constant low white head and good carbonation with slow bubbles. Typical Mexican beer "cooked-corn" aroma and flavor with a bit of husky grain character. Light-medium bodied with a carbonic bite in the finish but overall actually very smooth considering...

Better than I remember from years ago and actually one of the better Mexipee beers.

(12 oz. silk screened clear bottle)

2.65/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a pee yellow with white nonexistant head.

Faint smell of some malts here and there, other stuff?

Taste is mildly malty with a touch of hop bitterness, not much complexity. Finishes much like other macros.

Light body and prickly carbonation. Carbonation is more evident than the flavor.

Drinkable but I would not recommend it.

2.34/5  rDev +4.9%

I Drank this out of the bottle, somehow I figure it's best this way. There is a reason why you never see Corona on tap...part of Corona's mystique is it's image. Wait...does Corona have a mystique? To some uneducated Beer consumers....yea it does. More power to them though

Appearance: Heavy carbonation which is pleasing to my eye. Bright yellow color to the beer.

Taste: Tastes like corn. Must be brewed with a heavy dose of corn ingredients. This corn tastes kind of sticks to the roof of your mouth. There is a light sweetness to this beer which is kind of nice. This beer is actually refreshing when cold, but once it gets warm...the cheap adjunct ingredients make this brew taste like a sweaty sock.

Mouthfeel: Thin and mega-carbonated

Drinkability: Ehhh...I could whack a bunch of these.

Lime, or no Lime? I say put a lime in it. Let's not kid ourselves, Corona isn't that good...a lime can only help. It seems like it's brewed to be complimented by a lime.

To really jazz your Corona up...Follow these steps.

1. Squeeze the juice of a lime into it
2. Put a fresh lime wedge in for garnish
3. Fill the rest of the Corona up with Jose Cuervo Tequilla
4. Turn it upside down and let things mix
5. Salt the rim

What you have is no longer a beer, but instead more of a mixed drink. It tastes better than a Corona though, try it and see for yourself.

2.23/5  rDev 0%

This beer poured a crystal clear golden body with a tiny white head that died almost immediately.

The nose was a very soft mix of sweet corn, rice. Really a very limited and hard to define nose.

The taste was light bodied with a sweet, grainy corn, slightly skunked malt. Very highly carbonated. Surprisingly big saaz type hop taste and a very present bitterness. The hops, or malt, have a unique rotten lettuce, crisp, sort of taste. There’s basically no aftertaste at all.

It’s amazing that Mexican beers have so much more flavor than American macros. Anyway, decent beer, sort of like sparklingly water mixed with a little corn and a tiny hop punch. Stick a lime in it and I could drink this all day, but without, I’ll pass.

1.16/5  rDev -48%

Appearance - Foam is thin even after a pretty aggressive pour. Not persistent, leaves little lacing. Beer itself is pretty standard for a macro, pale yellow, clear and bubbly.

Smell - Fairly prominent skunk, sour/lime scent. Not getting much else - there's probably some pale malt, but its pretty well covered by the skunkiness.

Taste - Perhaps the good thing is that this has more flavor than most macros. Taste is, however, a rather poor sour and adjunct mix. Kind of a sour corn flavor. I'm not sure that I'd label this inoffensive.

Mouthfeel - Quite lite and dry. Not noticing the usual fizziness than most other macros display.

Drinkability - It really is fascinating how beers with only the most subtle differences can be marketed to suggest not only differences in the type of person that enjoys the beer, but also largely non-existent differences in taste. Is it the hint of lime in this beer that conjures a beachfront vacation or is it the ad campaign? Is there even a hint of lime in this beer? In any event, when drinking this beer with my mind engaged, I'd rather not be. And putting a lime in it doesn't make that go away. This may be my least favorite beer - bad for style in a uninspiring style of beers.

1.96/5  rDev -12.1%

Why is this stuff $25 a case??? I just picked up a case of Augustinerbrau Maximator for $27. Something is wrong here. If you enjoy urine in a bottle, this brew is for you! Why do they put the lime in the bottle you may ask? No, its not a tropical tradition, its to mask the rotten corn odor that eminates from the clear bottle. Yep, clear bottle, brewed with mexican water, coming from Mexico. You do the math. I give it higher marks for drinkability simply because once you mask the horrid odor and add some limes it pretty much tastes like nothing. They say this is the #1 imported beer into the US. This makes me sad.

1.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Very cold sample from a free bottle left at my house after a party. "thanks, I guess".
The beer pours into my pint glass an ultra clear light yellow color with a bright white fizzy head of 1 cm. The head fades super fast to a thin edge layer.
Aroma stinks immediately from the pour!! Skunk dominates, with some sugary sweetness, maybe some spicy hops in there too.
First sip reveals ultra lite body with very fine yet prickly carbonation. goes down like fizzy water.
Flavor is very mild but some spicy hop mixes with sugary sweetness and some corn husk. The beer finishes with a sweet candy coating on my tongue. Very lite and easy to drink, but mostly due to a lack of any depth in flavor or character. A fairly bland beer.

2.65/5  rDev +18.8%

After some glasses of pinot noir at a wedding reception, I opted for a Moosehead lager but something about its combo of sweetness/skunkiness didn't fit the bill at that moment with the dance floor heating up.

In fact, though it was about 40 degrees F outside, the heated cottage where the reception was held was quite steamy so it was the closest I've come to that hot summer day in some time.

Because I was dancing at the time, I sampled this beer from the bottle rather than pouring it into a fluted champagne glass (though they were available). I did receive a lime wedge and when I had a hand free I like to suck on the lime before sipping the beer.

There is nothing noteworthy about the appearance or smell of this cerveza. As often described, it has a straw-urine color and I'm not sure there would be any head or much lacing to speak of had I poured it.

Tastewise though Corona is different than your basic mass-market lager. It is smooth, with some skunkiness but in a way that is pleasant when enjoying the beer as refreshment. The taste is not one that lingers on the tongue or palate, mouthfeel correspondingly suffers. The addition of the lime wedge, over time, provides the illusion of a citrus aspect to the beer that I enjoy because I'm drinking the beer as it is intended, the same way one might savor bleu cheese with a glass of port.

A previous reviewer commented on the sexiness of the beer, and I think this is a strong suit though not a typical rating factor here on BA. With the heat of the dance floor, the fizziness of the setzery beer, and the tartness of the lime, this bottle was enjoyable and I would rate the drinkability above a five if possible. Goes down easy, begs for more, clearly and cleanly refreshing.

4.23/5  rDev +89.7%

Corona takes a lot of flack here but I like this beer. My review is of a bottle of corona with lime. I won't drink this beer without lime - I don't like it. But...
throw a lime in it and its great.
Its a pale yellow piss colour, but hey, thats what its supposed to look like, right? No idea what the head looks like, this isn't getting poured into any glass.
All I can smell is the lime. The taste is a nice citrusy mix of beer and lime juice.
Maybe i should just review a lime???
Mouthfeel is kind of fizzy like soda or seltzer.
Drinkability? Are you kidding? I would give this a 6 if i could.
Even the sleek shape of the bottle suggests you can slam umpteen of these at a time.

2.7/5  rDev +21.1%

Presentation: 12 oz clear glass bottle, drank from the bottle. Some possible date coding, but I can't understand it.

Appearance: Completely transparent, light and sickly yellow.

Smell: Mostly skunky grains, touched with alcohol.

Mouth: Carbonation is fairly high. Tastes virtually like it smells, but a little sweeter. Hops aren't impressive.

Notes: My 1st review! It's fitting that it should be of a beer that I thought was so "cool" in my younger days. I've since tasted beer that makes corona taste like water. And from my experience, those who drink Corona and other lights don't want to taste the beer. Of course, even though the lime ruins the head, it covers up the little flavor the brew has. Definitely a good thing. I've definitely learned that Corona is mostly good marketing. Fortunately, I've only "borrowed," never paid for it!

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Pale gold clear liquid. Tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass, but moving very slow. Thick white foamy head. Head retention was ok. Pale skunky aroma, slightly floral. Very pale malt flavor, not much bitterness, maybe a hint of floral hop flavor at the end, but not much standing out. Light body, watery, high carbonation. Not much going on here in terms of flavor or eye candy. Pass.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.