Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,153 | Hads: 4,405
1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

Here goes my inevitable Corona review. I'm drinking this at work as one of the accountants we share our office with bought this sixer. I have the Coronita Extra...in 7 oz. bottles....weird. What's the point?? I dunno. Golden piss yellow appeareance with not too much carbonation and a small bubbly head. Aromas of sweet corn, mexican brickweed skunkiness, and faint hints of lime (no..i didn't put a lime in it). Not appealing to say the least.

Sweet corn flavor upfront with tiny hints of citrus and possibly some grassy hop. A weird offputting funky flavor throughout. Extremely watery and basically boring. I can see why most people add the lime....

Mouthfeel is paper thin with small bubbly carbonation but no backbone at all. This is not a brew I would choose to drink...as there are many better. However, if I can drink it at work...and it's free...why not. (869 characters)

2.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Probably the first time I've ever poured this into a glass rather than drinking it in the bottle with a slice of lime. Very pale golden hue with a very small, fizzy white head that vanishes almost immediately. Held up the glass, and hey, I can watch TV right through it. Aroma of adjunct malt, astringency, and some skunkiness. Light (but not delicate) taste of cheap adjunct malt and just a whiff of generic hops. Slightly foamy mouthfeel. By almost any measure, pretty bad, but you know what? I can drink this all day, especially in Vegas or at the beach where there are few alternatives. (590 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a pale straw with a fizzy shortlived head with pathetic lacing. The aroma is of corn and malt with no hops. The taste is of sweetish plasticy malts with some DMS. The finish is watery with a matallic zing. The mouthfeel is thin. This is one bland, watery beer. Its not even worth trying. What a waste of time. (315 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Before I knew there was such a thing as BeerAdvocate, I drank "better beer" for a long time. Even before that, to me, Corona was "better beer" (at least better than BudMillerCoors). Now after a year or so of being a BA, I thought it a good time to go back to this and see what I think now.

Pours a clear, pale yellow with a very thin layer of bubbles around the ring of the glass. No vigorous pour could unleash anything like a head. Aroma is oily, slight weak malt and hop, with a slightly sour/tart note. Not much there. Flavor Watery, not much there, ends tart and hoppy. Some sharp off-flavor I can't put my finger on. Mouthfeel thin.

Drinkability actually relatively high (compared to other scores). This muust be my fond (733 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +30.6%

Although it is rare that I intentionally set out and buy an adjuct lager such a Corona, this is one I actually do get get quite a bit especially in the summer time. The frequency of my purchase habits however, should not be seen as an indication of my impression of this beer.

A very pale, very clear, very watered down appearance and faint smell surrounds Corona. One might easily mistake it as a light beer based upon its appearance and indeed the mouthfell is very light and watery. It begs the question why make a light version of this beer is the Extra is so light in and of itself. Be that at is may, Corona does have a nice crisp taste to it that hits the spot on a summer day. Rather easy to drink despite it short comings and one I will continue to buy Spring thru Labor Day.

All in all, nothing terrific, but a nice beer to relax with every so often during the summer. (884 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance-golden color with barely any trace of head, clarity is good but the lack of any head is stunning.

Smell-sour, a little bit of skunk, not pleasent at all.

Taste-without a lime the beer is fairly sour and bitter, mouthfeel is thin and watery, goes down ok I suppose.

Mouthfeel-as stated before, thin and watery, nothing much happening here, but it goes down fine and aftertaste is non-existent (a good thing in this case)

Drinkability-is it refreshing on a hot day? Yea I guess so, but so many better beers are as well.

Overall-I won't slam Corona without explanation as many others do, but I must admit that I am shocked many uninformed people consider this a top-quality beer, the sour mouthfeel could make you gag, the lack of any head ruins its fine color, and it isn't at all refreshing if not drank ice cold. In my book this is a sub-standard beer overall, not at all worth the price tag. Any beer that needs an outside influence (a lime in this case) to taste good should immediately be considered a tasting hazard. (1,046 characters)

2.33/5  rDev +5%

Surprisingly, this beer pours a decent-sized head.. I wasn't expecting that, since if I have to drink this stuff, I drink it straight from the bottle. I don't like to think much about the color of this beer, since it reminds me of urine. The smell is really not very appetizing.. I'm not sure how to describe it, but its not pleasant. This beer really doesn't like much of anything, but it is often fairly skunky. It really tastes MUCH better with a lime in it. As for mouthfeel, it's light-bodied, but leaves a bad aftertaste. It's actually pretty drinkable, unless you prefer beer that actually tastes like something. The main thing I dislike about this beer is how expensive it is, yet its not exactly something of great quality. (732 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

had this beer this summer at a graduation party. from the bottle. poured a golden color with a white head that didn't last1st one no lime little aroma and flavor. 2nd one with lime there is the flavor to bad it was lime. another one to drink ice cold and fast (259 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -25.2%

Let me start out by stating this - I have never liked this beer. If I am forced to have a Mexican beer (like when I go to Mexico) I go with a Negra Modelo, a Dos Equis, or even a Tecate. However, a Heineken swilling friend and I decided to take out a sixer - minus a lime wedge.

Appearance: A definite macro, with plenty of carbonation, a hard pour produces some short lived head (or is it foam?).

Smell: ARGH! get this thing away from me screams my senses. Putrid smelling, a sickening aroma.

Taste: Served cold and gulped down as quickly as possible is the only way to put this down. Not palateable without that damn lime, methinks.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, an unfortunate aftertaste, but I think the fact this has little to offer is its best trait.

Drinkability: IMO, very low. Get something else. My friend and I did get a few chuckles as we thought of the movie Fast and the Furious where Vin Diesel tells Paul Walker's character "you can have any beer you want, as long as it's a Corona". We both agreed if we were in that position, the movie would be over. (1,080 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -34.2%

Incredibly pale color; looks like colored soda water. No head; no lacing. Highly carbonated.

Corona is generally one of the worst- (if not THE worst-) smelling beers in the world, and this bottled example is no exception. Skunky aroma dominates, with just a hint of adjunct-infused malt behind it.

Initially, this beer seems to have no discernable flavor whatsoever, but it soon takes on a nasty, chemical-like taste, with just a bit of malt flavor. The mouthfeel is incredibly light, and it finishes with an aftertaste that is so horrid that words cannot adequately describe it.

I would never go out and buy a Corona; I am only reviewing it since a six-pack was left in my fridge by a friend. If you must drink one, do so very quicky at the coldest temperature possible, just to move on to something -- anything -- better. (832 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -41.9%

Pale yellow body, chill haze, with some carbonation. Snow white head starts at two fingers and rapidly decays. Some spots of lace.

Aroma has some hay/grass, but is harsh, coarse, perhaps a tad toward skunky. This bottle has never seen the sun though: box, cooler, fridge.

Hits the tongue with the slightest of malt, barely registering. A wisp of hop appears, and then is swallowed by an unpleasant finish of coarse cereal, metal, and a bit of water, all of which combine to actually made my mouth dryer. There is no refreshment here. And the metallic twang in the aftertaste goes on and on, like some evil version of the last note of "Day in the Life".

Additional note: Teeth brushed, a glass of milk, and that metal twang is still there when I wake up the next morning.

Mouthfeel suffers as the beer actually feels rough around the edges.

Drinkability: Oh, to have a zero option.

This is the highest selling import in the US? It sells for how much?

Perhaps the most successful advertising/marketing scam of all time. Bud never looked so good. (1,065 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed in September 2004 from a 12oz bottle. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but this beer isn't that bad. But, it only serves one purpose. When you are dying of thirst on a beach, this is a good one to grab. It's not a pretty pour, it doesn't smell like anything special, but it's a decent beer when you want a quick one and there isn't anything else around but bud/miller/coors. At least this one has a bit more taste. Don't understand why it's so expensive though. I always have a 12pk on hand for when I am moving the lawn of doing something outside. (564 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -10.8%

While I'll admit I'd probably take a Corona with lime over a Budweiser or Coors, I decided to try it without the lime for reviewing purposes. Let me tell you, I'm sorry I did.
The only flavor I'm detecting is a skunked one. The smell is a big turn off, but not as much as the taste. Thankfully there isn't much of an aftertaste. It's thinner than water so I guess it's pretty drinkable. The only reason why anyone drinks this stuff is because of it's great marketing campaign.
My only question is will I get scurvy now that I've had a Corona without a lime? (559 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -26.6%

as often as you see people ordering this in bars youd think it might be half decent its actually pretty atrocious. no wonder they put the lime in it. everything about this beer is unimpressive yet oddly i wouldnt turn it down if i was offered one. why is this so popular??? (273 characters)

2.35/5  rDev +5.9%

What can I say that other reviewers haven't already said? Basically, Corona Extra is the Mexican equivalent of Crudweiser, perhaps a bit better, but not much. It has a tendency to go "skunky" -- perhaps 'cause it's shipped in those clear bottles that offer no protection against harmful UV rays (or whatever it is that ruins beer). I'll have to concur with the "Avoid" rating on this one, although I think that Grupo Modelo's dark beer, Negra Modelo, is quite good. If you're in an establishment that serves Grupo Modelo products, go for the Negra instead! (556 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -34.2%

I dislike any beer that relies on marketing more than brewer's art. However, Corona gives me a particularly grand peeve.

I'm sure we'd all like to know how the "beer" survives the searing Mexican sun in its signature clear bottles. I'm sure we'd all like to know why even the distributors won't let us think about drinking it without a lime.

A Corona was foisted upon me recently (in the form of a Coronita) and, not wanting to seem like the snarling beer geek that I am, I accepted. Corona is worse than I remembered. No head retention, no aroma aside from the lime, and the flavor of sourdough bread soaked in spoiled shrimp. Ick.

I truly believe that every time someone purchases this product, they are buying status & chic, and the only way you can like this beer, is through systematic desensitisation. (816 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Esta cerveza es muy, muy malo.

People love this one, maybe they feel like they're sitting on a beach in Cancun or jammin' at a Buffett concert, but it's a popular summertime beer. I was disappointed when a friend brought over a 12 pack of this while we were doing some work. Of course I had to accept, I wasn't about to be rude and stick my nose up at his gracious offering, but man does this beer blow.

It wasn't old but tasted bland, mildly skunked. Looks like urine duluted with a lot of water.

Put the Corona down and step away from the suckiness. (562 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +6.8%

These numbers would be lower if no lime were added, 1.5s at the most. However, with a lime (don't drink it without the lime, I'm begging you), it works to quench your thirst with some decent beer taste. The color is unappealing yellow, the head quickly disappears if you pour it, and it tastes a bit like beer. I usually don't want more than one. (346 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -0.5%

Corona Extra is nothing special but not horrible either. It is a light gold color. Smell is certainly "adjuncty" as is the taste, which is rather watery. This is the type of beer which is best enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and only when all other options have proven elusive. (281 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +43.7%

Yes I really love this beer on a hot summer day. I prefer it with out the lime. There is no other beer I can sit around and drink like water. I know this is a below average beer and many like to slam it due to the fact it's "cool" to drink, but in actuallity there isn't another beer that goes down so easily on a hot day. The smell is aweful but the taste isn't poor. I just wish the price reflected the taste because I would drink this all the time. I only drink this now if someone offers me one, or if we are getting tanked on the golf course durring May 5th. (563 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -49.5%

Well it’s been just a month shy of 4 years since I’ve had a Corona, and now I remember why. The beer sleazes from the 12-ounce clear bottle a limpid light gold color with the head small and white, frothy in texture and the lace thin. Nose is dominated by the malt, sweet as is the start, top is ultra thin. Finish is mildly acidic, the hops sparse and the aftertaste dry. The reason even after 4 years was the fact I was helping someone move, and the only beer he had was a six pack of Corona, must admit, it did fend off the heat stroke I was getting from moving several million tones of stuff up a flight and half of stairs in 112 degree heat. (647 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +23%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a beer that if offered free, I would drink but if I have to pay, now way! It pours straw yellow with a slight head that fades very quickly. The nose is of grain and a little malt. The flavor is quite unobtrusive with a slight malt background and a crisp bite, but nothing exciting whatsoever. A drinkable beer that could definantly use a lime to help out with the flavor. (379 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +28.4%

Well, from reading some of the previous reviews it seems there's a strong chance I'll have my account permanently deleted for this, but here goes: I like Corona.

Yes, it's "trendy." Yes, it looks (and when it's warm or skunked, tastes) like cat piss. Yes, it needs a slice of lime to really taste good. But none of these things make it undrinkable in the right setting, unless you're a jerkoff beer snob who wouldn't be caught dead drinking anything with a recognizable label.

Fact of the matter is, on a hot day in the sun, on the beach, or at a barbecue, there is nothing better than an ice-cold Corona with lime. I will not argue about this with anyone. I've never understood those that shun it because "you shouldn't have to put fruit in your beer to make it taste good." I mean, grilled salmon steaks are ok, but they're a lot better with lemon juice squirted on - does that mean they aren't worth eating? Of course not.

Anyway, enough ranting...the beer itself is what you expect taste-wise -- a mediocre brew with that kick of lime that makes it so good on a summer day or with mexican food. It's a beer that I, at least, can drink quite a few of with no ill effect, either that day or the next morning. I understand the complaints that it gets skunked easily due to the clear bottles - but this is easily remedied by buying the cardboard-encased 12-pack rather than the exposed six.

Obviously, Corona is not the best beer in the world, or even close to it. But I don't quite understand all the Corona-bashing from reviewers. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it isn't actually decent. (1,618 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +18.5%

Satisfactory if cold on a hot day. Some foam otherwise yellow nothing special, malt,corn sweetener, carbonation whallop on the aggressive side. Just mediocre. Ok with food like veggies or spicy Mexican. Somewhat astringent aftertaste. Slightly better than most other macros. (274 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -49.1%

Pale yellow with a large white head. I get the normal marco lager smell which is usually not offensive. This is. The tastelessness is accompanied by an off flavor. More, or different, adjuncts than I'm used to? This odd flavor takes away from the drinkability. (260 characters)

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.