Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,321 | Reviews: 1,263
2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

First of all, this review is of the beer Corona with a slice of lime in it.

A: An average appearance with a light yellow color, and the lime can give it a very attractive look. I think that this beer is three times as popular as it should be.

S: I should have waited to put the lime in after i smelled it, as the lime can really mask the smell of it, but the lime gives it a tangy scent that can throws in a fake card for the taste. Translation: it dosn't taste at all like it smells.

T: Average taste with a very slight hint of lime, which is the only thing that makes this beer the real hit that it is today. Very little hop pressence.

M: The mouthfeel is not quite that bad but a halfway unpleasant bite persists in the mouth after a drink.

D: An average drinkability level that I have found to be just as drinkable as most of the other beers ive had, nothing special.

Bottom Line: An OK Mexican Lager that i wouldn't go out and buy myself but I would drink it if I wasn't the one paying for it.

4.18/5  rDev +81%

For me, beer sould be drink on how it comes... in a bottle or can, who invented to put lemon on beer?,... at first i desagree, but after trying it,...it was "inevitable".. .

Without lemon: if i go one by one in category it would be nonesense,. . everything in this beer is great.

With lemon: it passes more quickly, perfect body, good head.. . i mean.. . excelence, 2 tumbs up to mexico for creating this beer.

2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

I was searching high and low to find a good beer in a can that I can take to the pool. Futile search. So I grabbed a 12-pack of Corona in cans, a lime, and headed to the pool. Now, grant you, Corona is what it is, but I actually found myself enjoying this out of the can with a lime thrown in. Watery, yes. Tastless, yes. Corn notes, yes. Carbonated, yes. Enjoyable, yes!!! Maybe the hot day got to me, but I'll buy it again for the pool, unless my beer guy can get some Dave's Pale Ale in for me.

2.38/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass sans lime wedge.

Appearance: Looks like sparkling grape juice. Surprisingly, though, the head retention's not too bad and stays at about 1/2" inch, though with little lacing

Smell: Some corn and malt sweetness, along with some slight citrus. No hops to really speak of. Pretty bland.

Taste: Again, some corn and malt-like sweetness, with a bit of citrus, unless I'm used to the beer with a lime in it. Not much hops at all, and an overall fairly bland finish. Drink it cold, of course.

Mouthfeel: Very watery and light with low and slightly astringent carbonation levels. But you really don't sip this with a cigar in front of the fire.

Drinkability: Yes, it's easy to tank this and say it's awful, etc. etc. But it's something I do like to drink during summer every once in a while. Like I said, if you're sipping this in front of a fire with a cigar, something's wrong, but if you're hanging out with folks who aren't craft beer fans and are grilling out, I see nothing wrong with it.

1.13/5  rDev -51.1%

Forgive me, for I have no lime with which to cloud my judgment of this "beer"...

That said, what the heck is this? It's clearer and thinner than water, has no discernable smell, and tastes like flat club soda! You call this beer?

Despite it being in a clear bottle, I don't detect any skunkiness. But then, I don't detect much of anything! As far as I know, it could just be tap water with a few drops of yellow food coloring added...

I'm taking it on faith that there's some malt, or other fermentable sugar, in here somewhere. As for the hops, I guess they just don't grow that far south, otherwise they'd have included some, right? You call this beer?

No wonder everyone's trying to get over the border.

1.46/5  rDev -36.8%

Sampled out of a St. Bernardus Goblet.

Straw.

Skunk, pure water, salt, noble hops, butterscotch, herbs, cooked asparagus, adjuncts and pale malts in the nose.

Herbal, noble hops along with adjuncts, skunk hair, pale dust covered malts and more skunk combine to make this one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

2.08/5  rDev -10%

After having a Corona Light, I cracked this open to see if it was any better. The beer pours out just the same, into a pale straw with no head. The smell is actually worse in this beer because the hops aroma is a little bit stronger. Unfortunately, it is very skunky and offensive to the nose. There isn't much in the way of a grain smell. The taste is a bit sweet, and hints at some grain, but it's not all there, unfortunately. The hops are much more noticeable in this beer compared to Corona Light, but it is still very faint. The moutfeel is very thin, though the carbonation is one small redeeming factor. In all, this is a hops flavored batch of water that isn't very good unless you're thirsty on a hot day. I don't think I'll get this anytime soon from the store, but if someone offers it to me on a hot day, I won't turn it down.

2.11/5  rDev -8.7%

This beer has a horrible aftertaste if you drink it by itself. Why do you think it is served with a lime? The lime helps mask the taste of this beer. I can only drink Corona when I am already pretty drunk and can't taste much anyways. It seems to be the "in thing" around here with the college kids.

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It does the job on a hot day. There's nothing to disguish this beer from other decent macro lagers. It's certainly better than BMC, IMO, but you'd never buy it to appreciate beer. It's simply to quench your thirst on a hot day. I'd rather be drinking lemonade or iced tea.

1.56/5  rDev -32.5%

Pour a thin white head over a clear hay colored body. Aromas of sharp corn and eau de skunk. What little flavor exists is similar, with corn dominating and little hop and almost no malt flavor. Light to watery body with moderate to high carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel and finish.

Not the best of the light Mexican lagers, but there is a time and place when these beers have a certain appeal. While I rarely drink Corona here in the states, I did drink a lot of it the summer I spent working in rural Mexico. After a long day sweating in the sun, a cold watery Corona tasted just fine. Then again, I may have been suffering from heat stroke.

2.46/5  rDev +6.5%

Now that I've been enjoying the fruits of quality beers I thought beers like this would disgust me. Some do, but this doesn't. I still find myself still enjoying this beer on some level.

a: eh, average golden color with some minor lacing.
s: uninteresting pointless beer smell. Best I can describe it. I hated that smell growing up and I'm not fond of it now.
t: call me a fool, but I like that skunked flavor with this beer. It doesn't last long, but I like it. After that you get some slighly bitter fizzy drink.
m: fizzy drink.
d: This beer does hit the spot on a warm day (with or w/o lime), but that's about it.

1.3/5  rDev -43.7%

12oz. bottle that I chose to get since it was Cinco De Mayo and it was the special of the day at a local dive bar. I had this out of the bottle because there were no mugs, but that's ok since they put it in a clear bottle. The clear bottle really shows off the urine yellow color of the beer. I kept trying to get a smell out of it, but the only thing I smelled was beer. I thought maybe it might smell like something, but nope just a beer smell. I tried it with out the lime and I was quite surprised by it. I thought it would be totally bland but I noticed a slight hint of hops in there. You really need to shove a couple of limes or lemons in there to make it taste better. The mouthfeel was nothing. No aftertaste, just nothing after the beer goes down. Let's just say that it's a good thing this beer is cheap. Something I wanted to try just once and I learned my lesson.

1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

Corona Extra is a light fizzy yellow concoction that is found at college parties, beach bbq's and fraternities worldwide.

The beer pours a yellow color that reminds me of things that come after drinking a lot of beer. It is very carbonated and the bartender enjoys throwing a lime down the neck to mask the lack of flavor.

If you like a highly carbonated beverage that has alcohol in it but a taste that makes a craft beer drinker cry, this is the beer for you.

I am not impressed at all.

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

Into the breach I go, with only my wits to sustain me....

A: Very pale yellow, transparent, heavy carbonation. Has a reasonable head at first but dies almost immediately to a thin film. If it wasn't so clear and urine-yellow, it would rate a bit higher on the scale.

S: Upon first pouring this beer a distinct skunkiness is experienced. Upon sniffing the beer in the glass, however, the skunk fades into the deep background, with a malty syrupy corn sweetness masking it quite effectively.

T: Sugary, corny, astringent flavor. Difficult-to-take overripe "lite" flavor in the backend. Not the absolute worst beer I've had, but not enjoyable at all.

M: Thin, watery. Carbonation gets in the way of drinking it. Should be much smoother.

D: Could probably choke it down, but not pleasantly. Just this side of drain-pour.

1.72/5  rDev -25.5%

Ahhh...Corona. Brings me back to days when beer was only for drinking a sixer of these (and other crap) within a few minutes. Pours literally urine yellow, no head and very fuzzy. Smells all skunky. Tastes a bit like skunk and citrusy flavor, why add a lime? It's already there. Water like mouthfeel. Overall, well for the price of a micro you can buy this junk, man people are stupid for thinking this is fancy ass stuff. But I had to try it out again for old time sakes.

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Consumed at work (my job kicks ass). I expected a SA, received a Corona.

This is a poor beer. While it is refreshing, there is very little to distinguish it from any other macro lager. The adjuncty taste of corn is only very slight, which makes it more drinkable than the rest. There is minimal flavor, and even less body. While I usually despise fruit in my beer, a lime adds a lot of flavor.

2.14/5  rDev -7.4%

7 oz bottle left by some dinner guests. Pours a white soda-pop-like head over a crystal clear light straw colored liquid. Smells of skanky Saaz hops and corn. Some tin. Tastes wet sweet, but foul. Corn, cardboard. Noticable hops that are Saaz tin-like. Not very bitter, but full of musty straw flavor. Light body and strong carbonation. Judged to style, not my preferences.

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

Corona has done one thing right: Promote their product. But that's about it. The inflated price and 'adding a lime' make people feel a step above the regular shelf beers people drink. Unfortunately, this beer is rather boring without a lime, and has almost no scent. Corona is a light beer; Corona Light could be renamed Corona Water, there is just no substance to the beer.

If Corona was the price of Bud Light, I could support it, but I think price is an important consideration; it defines our access to the beer. Corona is overpriced and not worth the price that people have no problem paying.

1.2/5  rDev -48.1%

This beer is one of the most over rated beers IMO. People are always bragging when they spent some extra money on corona. I think they've wasted their money. It has little taste, and the little taste it has is awful. The worst thing about this is the price (although i know it is imported. I will say that I did not have this beer with lime, but I was highly disappointed when I went to taste it with all the hype that surrounds it.

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this one while vacationing in Las Vegas, NV. Served in a schooner glass.

Pours a pale yellow color and is a clear. Fizzy head is gone in a flash and produces no lacing.

The smell is non-existent except for the lime. There may be some faint fruity aroma in the beer.

The taste us a little grainy (cereal) with a mild citrus flavor and a hop finish. It tastes a bit stale and skunky.

Mouth feel is thin and watery, yet crisp and effervescent.

This is a drinkable beer, but lacks character and flavor. It’s not worth the money for an overpriced import.

2.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Color is the same yellow as dehydrated urine. head is white, not alot at the beginning and none after a minute.

S: Not much aroma here, no hints of hops or malt, just adjuncts.

T: Very acidic taste, light bodied and low flavored. Perfect for the person who doesn't know what real beer is.

M: burns in the mouth, and leaves a sticky residue.

D: Drinkable due to its lack flavor and low alcohol, if they're free, you could pound them all night, but I would never pay for one of these

Overall this is a beer for high school and college jocks who don't know the first thing about beer. Add a lime to give this water some flavor, and serve ice-cold to reduce the dry aftertaste.

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

This is a unflavorful yellow beer. The price is extremely high. This is a very watery, unflavorful beer that has simply been advertised to be a great vacation or special occasion beer. The flavor is light along with the aroma. But I will say you won't have any problem drinking 9 or 10 becuase of it's light consistency.

2.28/5  rDev -1.3%

I had this beer from a bottle with the lime wedge at a bar. The head is medium and the beer looks light yellow. The aroma is very weak with a bit of malt and hop scents being detected. The taste was also pretty weak and was very light. The flavor was very simple and I want to say I detected some adjuncts that cheapened the experience for me. Nonetheless, it was crisp and a bit refreshing with a medium amount of carbonation. This makes a good choice for an inexpensive beer to be enjoyed in a backyard BBQ fashion or on a hot day (although others are just as good). Admittedly, I'm not a light lager man at all. I'm also not trying to trash this beer at all as I know that many people enjoy it. However, I guess my basic sentiment is that if you're only drinking a beer for it's "refreshment" value and not the taste, why not just drink a nice cold glass of water and skip beer altogether?

3.75/5  rDev +62.3%

I cannot believe how such a great beer has such a poor average score. This is probably the most refreshing beer in existence (along with Sol which is extremely similar). Maybe I'm just romanticizing this beer because this is one of just a handful of beers that I drank when I was waaaay underage. I very well may be, but I'll try to be fair here. I prepared one with a slice of lime, the way its supposed to be done. (without the lime the taste score would not be as high). Left it in the bottle and inserted the lime wedge. Looks gorgeous. Admittedly doesn't have much of a smell, except for the lime. Has a very simple clean taste. The Corona w/lime taste helps make up the Ideal HOT weather beer. Not filling. Not sweet. Just the utmost in beer refreshment. What this beer lacks in complexity it makes up for in drinkability and refreshment.

-Salud X 3 (see photo) yes... those are Coronas

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

This pours a light yellow with a small head that disappears quickly. I can't say anything about the smell because I can't smell anything. The taste is weak,light,and watery. Now I know why people put limes in this beer. The m/f is light and weak. Although this is a real bad beer, I know I will have this again at occasions were I know I will drink alot,i.e. tailgating, beach party, or BBQ. It's light and you don't have to worry too much about getting too drunk. Plus sometimes you have to drink what's at the party. Cheers.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.