Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,184 | Reviews: 1,185

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

2.75/5  rDev +19%

1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

2.75/5  rDev +19%

3.34/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the bottle!

Two finger off white head, with passable retention

Pale gold in color

Smell: biscuity, grainy, and grassy

Taste: Biscuits, corn, and dry cereal malt at the finish

Mouthfeel: thin, but not too watery

Overall, this is a refreshing beer. I would have it again if it was the only choice.

1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

1.91/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

I don't think I've ever poured this into a glass. You can see right through it, anyway, thanks to the clear bottle. It's the color of a well-hydrated man's piss, and I would imagine any kind of "head" that forms disappears within seconds. The smell is.... well, the smell is kind of absent, to say the least. Corn, graininess, and a metallic tone. What I usually do is squeeze and drop a lime wedge into this one. Then it just smells like lime. The one lime wedge over-powers every other aroma. Taste is basically the same, crispy and dry from intense carbonation; corns, grains, the palest of all malt flavors. Musky hops, but not enough to really matter or make it bitter. More steel flavors. I've had many skunky bottles, but I've also had plenty that were fine. But again, if you drop the lime it, it pretty much takes over the entire flavor profile, which probably isn't a bad thing. Thin body, crispy as fuck.

Corona was my "go-to" beer before I got into craft. Now that I realize what's out there, it's kind of funny that I ever found this stuff "tasty". But even to this day, I'd still take it over a Bud Light. As long as I can drop a lime in and sprinkle the neck with salt.

1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.67/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date or bottling information, poured into a miniature type pint glass with a little slice of lime squeezed into it.

A - Attains the typical pale clean adjunctive urine colored lager look with now a little bit of lime pulp floating around in it.

S - Pale malty nothingness. Corn husk. Some lime fruit juice now because of the lime I squeezed in there. Doesn't smell the greatest, but we all know what to expect with this one.

T - Ahh, the Corona and lime taste that everyone knows. American adjunctiveness paired with some fresh lime. Far better than rip-off beers that followed like Miller Chill and Bud Light Lime, that's for damn sure. Everyone enjoys the taste of a cold savory Corona Extra with a lime squeezed into it on a fiery summer day.

M - Pale dry quick corn mealy finish, with of course the lime, if you so choose to have one. Nothing to brag about, but satisfying enough.

Overall, a pleasantly refreshing adjunct, alcoholic water-type beer if there ever was one. Squeeze a lime into it, and enjoy the 100 degrees temperature any time.

Corona Extra ---2.5/5

1.25/5  rDev -45.9%

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.16/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass. I just wish that I reviewed this when I was in Mexico!

Appearance: light straw-yellow hue with a haze free body and a pretty strong effervescence. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam which dissipated quickly with no lace. Par for the style, I suppose.

Smell: kind of a light, dusty-plastic aroma with perhaps a hint of wet grain. Not the worst thing in the world, but really not too good for even an adjunct lager.

Taste: sweet malt with perhaps a bit of corn to it. Not bad, but the aftertaste is a bit grimmer, with more of that plastic character. I gotta say, I've had worse macro lagers, but this still isn't too good.

Mouthfeel: light body with a strong carbonation and a light but surprising foaminess in the mouth. I don't want to call it creamy, but at least there's *something* going on here.

Overall: I don't love this beer, but I will admit I enjoyed a couple of them on the beach in Mexico. That's really about the only context in which you'll want to drink one of these.

3.25/5  rDev +40.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.