Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance: It looks like liquid gold. What can I say? Don't judge a book by its cover. This is NOT a good brew. With less than a half of an inch head that quickly fades! Little to NO lacing!

Smell: Bittersweet malts..I get a hint of them--but I am not enticed.

Taste: A bit sweet, and definitely bitter. Doomed from the start with its clear glass. Trust me, the taste is not befitting of its multi million dollar ad campaign. Utterly waste of time drinking this. If you haven't had Corona before, trust me, skip this and introduce yourself to class brews!

Mouthfeel: I enjoy a bit of carbonation, but Corona kicks it into another gear. Perhaps in the desire to have someone believe their thirst is actually being quenched. The skunk like feel in your mouth is also ever so present. This is not a quality beer. I'm sorry for being so repetitive!

Overall- Below average. Not particularly impressed. I wouldn't rush out to buy a six pack or get me a serving on draft. In fact, I wouldn't drink this..again..period.

Serving type: I've had this on tap and in bottle before. I've had this in the US of A and straight from a brewery before as well. It's not good.

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

Corona Familiar bottle. Pours a clear yellow with a thin head that goes away fast. The smell is some grain and maybe faint rubbing alcohol. The taste is about the same, what little there is of it. It's refreshing in its way, pretty fizzy. Not a good beer, but inoffensive when not skunked.

2.55/5  rDev +10.4%

poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - clear straw colored. a half inch head which disappears almost immediately

S - smells coppery, a hint of sweet malts, but not that appetizing

T - Plain tasting, very little hoppiness, some malts at the back end. some sweetness

M - very light bodied, and a little over carbonated.

Overall - Goes down smooth but almost no taste to it. Pretty subpar.

4.25/5  rDev +84%

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed 11/27/12

Note: 500th review posted to BA. A 24oz bottle of Corona Extra. It's happening.

Appearance: Crystal clear, golden yellow - pours with virtually no head - the fizzy, white head fades nearly instantly, leaves a tiny ring - not bubbly, clearly lacking carbonation - absolutely no lacing - gets a point for clarity, but otherwise falls flat (literally)

Smell: Mmm... the enticing aroma of a dead skunk sprinkled with sugar - this is the definition of light-struck beer (maybe the canned version isn't skunked, but the clear bottles imply that the skunk is clearly intentional) - beyond the skunk, there are some very sweet grains - nothing else in the aroma, period (could be worse, I suppose)

Taste: Grainy, watery, weird - sweet grains, sugar packets, corn - a little musty, with some corn husk - flat seltzer water - minimal bitterness, with some grass - sugary, gritty, strange aftertaste - bad, but it's not making me gag

Mouthfeel: Light, lacking carbonation, not clean, not crisp, watery, fails at being a lager

Overall: The triumph of marketing over sanity

I have a long legacy of hatred towards this beer. It was one of the first beers I ever had, and I thought it was terrible, even then (even compared to other gems like Bud Light). Now, it's time to bury the hatchet. This is my 500th review. So when I say, "Corona sucks," I now have evidence to back up my claim. "But, bro, you don't get it, Corona is great on a hot day, just imagine yourself on the beach!" No. That's marketing. Damn fine marketing, too. You know what's good on a hot day? A cold beverage. Corona does have the potential to be cold, but it's not good. Ever.

Side note: Why did I choose this for my 500th review? In some ways I have Corona to thank for inspiring me to explore craft beer. I disliked Corona so much that I felt compelled to find better beer. And I did. Th-thanks, Corona.

3.5/5  rDev +51.5%

3.25/5  rDev +40.7%

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.