Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
MsRif

I only ever drank this as a teenager desperate for an alcohol supply...it was (and still is) my dad's beer of choice.

It pours a lovely yellow color...that of what I would imagine would be the color of the liquid that sprays from a skunk, which is quite appropriate because that is just about what this beer tastes like. It's so horrendous that I actually used to hold my nose while drinking it to cut down on the affect on my palate. Tastes like skunked beer with a touch of third world wheat. As in, wheat from a patch that people have been using as a latrine.

Mouthfeel is actually not horrible, but the taste is so overwhelmingly bad that it's still awful. Light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. Overall, this is something you should only drink when dying of thirst. Even then, maybe you should just forgo it and die with dignity.

10-28-2011 23:53:36 | More by MsRif
broker0078

2.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer goes down smooth on a hot summer day. It goes down smoother when you are fishing on the river in the hot sun. But when you are not thirsty from the heat, you realize that there is really nothing special about this beer. The smell is not appealing at all but I think it gets better after you have had a few. I think the big selling point is the memory pairing that people get when they think of paradise. And that is great marketing!

10-27-2011 16:23:25 | More by broker0078
ehammond1

1.93/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle

Mr. Taco
San Marcos, CA

Pale yellow with lots of bubbles and a thin white head that leaves no lace, whatsoever, down the glass.

There's a bit of grain and simple corn in the aroma, but it's also very skunky and stale--it seems old, though I'm sure this place goes through cases and cases of Corona on the regular.

Sweet sugar, corn, and metallic flavors combine for something not so grand, to put it quite nicely.

Thin to medium mouthfeel, though it's very metallic.

Not impressed.

10-27-2011 02:51:50 | More by ehammond1
celticfutblclub

1.95/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - real light yellow with some carbonation visible in the body. hard pour leads to a two finger head that has big bubbles and doesnt stick around for long. minimum lacing.

S - corn husk and bread malts but its all very weak.

T - corn husk bread malts and light pepper in there. again very muted watery and disjointed.

M - medium carbonation light bodied meh

O - its corona so you know..

10-17-2011 23:53:49 | More by celticfutblclub
Chico1985

2.85/5  rDev +23.9%

The work freebies continue...

Pours an expected darkish yellow, white head quickly falls to a ring leaving some lacing.

Smell is pretty bad and easily the weakest point of the beer. Mostly sweaty, adjuncty, trashy veggies. It actually has decent strength too, I could smell it upon opening the bottle.

Taste is a vast improvement, I would go so far as to say it's even not bad. Not really any off-tastes other than a bit of alcohol. I get some pale malt, some grainy and bready flavors. Mouthfeel is fine for the style.

Pleasantly surprised, I must say...I haven't had a Corona in a few years and went into this expecting something awful. Other than the scent I found this to be pretty decent for the style. There's many better options for the price, but I wouldn't turn down a free one.

10-11-2011 18:18:28 | More by Chico1985
shealoftus14

2.55/5  rDev +10.9%

I have this a lot when I am on vacation, because it just comes off as a summer beach beer. But I think the advertising is deceiving because it wasnt that great to me even with a lime in it.
It is your basic straw yelloe beer, with not that great of smell. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste and it isn't worth the price because it's too high. I probably would never get it if I wasn't at the beach and that is only because people buy it for me. I rarely buy it.

10-04-2011 02:29:03 | More by shealoftus14
gtermi

1.25/5  rDev -45.7%

So I went to a party and my buddy bought a lot of this because this is the only beer he will ever drink. Well I brought my own beer and then once those were done, I had me one. The appearance is of your typical beer, straw color and yellow. The smell was just awful. I dont know if this was old or what, but it sent chills down my back it was so bad. The taste was just like the smell. I got nothing from the beer, but maybe a little grain taste. The mouth feel was highly carbonated and very unimpressive. Overall this is one of the worst beers I have ever had, I just dont get how people buy this and enjoy it. It is just terrible.

10-03-2011 06:09:25 | More by gtermi
rhoadsrage

2.48/5  rDev +7.8%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a pale straw yellow hue with a sea of big bubbles that supports a snow white head of big bubbles that almost makes it to the first sip.

S- The clean nose has no aroma until it warms quite a bit and then a faint dry sulfur and field corn note comes through in the finish but that is it.

T- The dry carbonic acid combines with a faint field corn taste and a bitter hint that doesn't have any hop qualities to it in the finish. There is a taste of cold water that comes though as the beer opens up.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an almost astringent texture it is so dry. The huge scrubbing bubbles fizz scrapes my tongue clean.

O- This beer really doesn't have anything there it is all just bubbles and takes on a soda pop carbonation.

09-27-2011 21:03:40 | More by rhoadsrage
ktrillionaire

3.58/5  rDev +55.7%

Ahhh, Corona, my fairweather friend. Perhaps it is I who is really your fairweather friend, as I enjoy you often after a shift at work, or in the hot sun, on boats, etc., and yet as oft-maligned as you are, I seldom take up your defense. I really liked you in the 'Familiar' bottle; you are not bad in your normal skunky form, and I have a real soft spot for your little Coronita. You are hiding in a can now? Well, we'll just see about that:

The pour is vibrantly yellow-gold, and is capped with faint white wisps of froth, but deposits lace from seemingly out of nowhere. The aroma is quite plain, with maybe, maybe, a hint of of corn sweetness atop a light husk and mineral base. The flavor is really quite good, sans skunkiness; it is not terribly flavorful, mind you, but it does have light mineral notes, a restrained sweetness, and a total absence of off-flavors. It is a bit like a Cream Ale, reminiscent of NG's Spotted Cow, which is very surprising to me. All in all, this has to be my favorite incarnation of Corona, thus far; the concept of anything other than clear glass longnecks, though pragmatically a better idea, has long seemed sacrilege - but no more - as this is likely my go-to cheap fizzy swill from here on out. I guess I'll have to find it on-tap, if such exists, and see if it can top the canned version.

Serving type: can

09-27-2011 18:53:29 | More by ktrillionaire
kojevergas

1.86/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle of "Coronita" served into an Estrella Damm stemgoblet in Ibiza, Spain. I dreaded this beer prior to reviewing it. Review is from notes.

I dock points for the presentation - a clear bottle is inexcusable, especially for a tropical beer.

A: Laughably pathetic head, no real retention or existence of head. This is awful for its low ABV. Clear yellow gold in colour. Appears adequately carbonated.

Sm: Malt syrup. As we say in Ireland: "Fookin' disgusting".

T: Malt and lime syrup, with a bit of barley. Fucking awful. Horrendously bad. Fizzy lime syrup finish. Terrible. Simple imbalanced crap.

Mf: Light and watery garbage. Overcarbonated. Weak and bland.

Dr: This garbage beer is unbelievably bad. Have it with a lime if you must have it; any beer that requires such an addition is awful on general principle. Avoid this one. Really avoid it. It's a textbook F. I'd say it's probably worse than Foster's or Bud, but at a level this low we're just nitpicking. I will say the price tends to be okay.

D-

09-25-2011 04:38:23 | More by kojevergas
CaptJackHarkness

2.78/5  rDev +20.9%

CLEAR bottle , probably lightstruck.

Skunky aroma, clear pale uric yellow body, fizzy, but minimal head, no lacing the glass. The taste is corn, grassy,definately needed the lime added.
Corn/rice are apparent, with a hint of pale malt, and a small amount of hops.

09-22-2011 19:54:24 | More by CaptJackHarkness
tobelerone

Connecticut

2.05/5  rDev -10.9%

Ok I suppose you could drink this one ice cold with a slice of lime on a super hot day and enjoy it...if you're not really into beer. There are plenty of craft choices one could grab that do the same job, but with flavor...any flavor.

This thin yellowish beer lacks head and lace. Almost no aroma except for the lime you jammed into the bottle to make it drinkable. Taste is the same; weak, hint of the adjuncts, no trace of hops, short finish. Fizzy carbonation. Clear glass bottle likely contributes to any level of skunkiness the drinker may encounter.

I don't know why but I hate this one a little less than some other AAL's but I still wouldn't drink one even if there were no other beers on offer. I can dig an ice water on occasion too.

09-22-2011 14:55:14 | More by tobelerone
JCellars

1.4/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't why I'm reviewing this beer, but here we go. Pours like an urine sample. No attributes of a true beer.

Smells like a dead skunk's butthole.

Tastes like water fitered through lime rinds. Easy drinking and forgettable. This beer turned and gained off flavors while in my hand. Thanks clear glass for the UV damage.

Honestly: Whats the point? To get drunk without tasting a goddamn thing...

09-21-2011 07:04:02 | More by JCellars
ChadSimmons

Indiana

2.93/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I know that everybody says this beer is piss water. I personally think that, although it isn't a premium craft brew, it is a good beer for what it is and that is to quench thirst and not to savor. It's especially enjoyable with a lime wedge.

Cheers!

09-17-2011 17:57:15 | More by ChadSimmons
BeerCon5

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a pale yellow color with a thin fizzy/bubbly head.

The scent was of very faint grain, also kind of skunky.

The taste was of grain and corn, also pretty skunky.

Light body, crisp and light, high carbonation.

This was a tough one to drink, I can't say I enjoyed anything about this one.

09-12-2011 20:28:37 | More by BeerCon5
tajiandemello

2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

The first time I had a Corona, I had it without a lime. It went down rough. Let me tell you. It's strange how much of a significant difference the lime makes. It changes this beer from piss in a bottle into a drinkable beer. The one thing that bothers me though is the fact that no place on the bottle tells you to do this, unlike some other beers. Take Blue Moon for example. It says specifically on the bottle that you should have it with a slice of orange (which is a good suggestion if you ask me), however, Corona never says that other than in their ads. So if you ask me, as a beer by itself? You might as well just drink toilet water.

09-07-2011 22:40:32 | More by tajiandemello
avaldivia

1.15/5  rDev -50%

I'm sorry. I had to just do it. Drank from bottle during Happy Hour on Taco Tuesday at Mi Pueblo.

This beer does not deserve a real review. I was a couple deep and decided that I had to just get it over with. I will not be ordering this again. I regretted it right away.

09-07-2011 06:46:37 | More by avaldivia
fugitive

Greece

Bottle. Pale yellow colour no head at all. Aroma almost nothing. Light body.Weak and watery. Maybe citrus in taste. This is not a beer. Some people say that there is a place for this beer, the beach. Not for me not even there. Avoid it at all costs !!!

09-04-2011 22:27:05 | More by fugitive
tdm168

1.8/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours pure gold with soapy head that fizzes and quickly fades to nothing. Smells musty with a ton of grains. The taste is sweet, almost apple-like, at first, but then very grainy with a lot of corn in the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and light.

I recommend drinking this freezing cold with a lime.

09-04-2011 22:18:47 | More by tdm168
airforbes1

1.9/5  rDev -17.4%

My second "it was readily available and free" review. It's been a long time since I've had Corona Extra, so I'll try my best to give a fair, unbiased review.

Despite a pretty aggressive pour, there's almost no head, and what's there is fizzy. The beer so clear that it's almost like yellow bottled water. I'm getting none of the infamous skunk smell on the nose, but the smell is dominated by corn.

The taste? What taste? It's like water with a touch of sugar offset by a minute amount of bitterness.

The mouthfeel is non-existent. It's as thin as, well, water. This is the worst aspect of the beer, unless you have a skunked bottle.

This beer is so thin and weak that I'm having a hard time giving an abysmally low score. How can you be offended by something when there is no substance to cause offense? This is a beer for those who don't like the taste of beer. For all the talk about this being a "refreshing" beer and a good option for a hot day, I can't see why I'd drink this, even those circumstances. I'll opt for actual water!

09-02-2011 02:19:29 | More by airforbes1
DrainBamage

3.25/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light golden color with a thin head that quickly dissipates into nothing. It's high carbonation looks like pop. Has a nice skunky-like aroma very similar to Heineken, which i do like. The taste is kinda disappointing after the smell, but still not too bad. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and leaves a little bitterness in the back of the throat.

Overall this beer is very unbalanced. Taste is average, but it the bitterness was actually the result of some hops, this beer might make a decent session beer.

08-31-2011 18:22:57 | More by DrainBamage
dedrinker

Kansas

2.45/5  rDev +6.5%

It's light yellow, thin, has adjunct and donkey sweat written all over it. I mean, how brilliant is that - convincing people to put a slice of lime in it as a marketing ploy, but really to just make it drinkable - you need to add a lime to make it drinkable...that's a screaming warning that sadly the rank and file do not get.

I drank one without the lime and it was just thin, cheap tasting unpleasant-ville. I had it in the can and in the 32 oz. brown bottle too so the clear glass wouldn't be a factor. Just an unhappy experience with this rainwater of a beer and this coming from a guy who can enjoy an Old Milwaukee.

But you want to know the worst (or best if you are a grupo-modelo shareholder or bigwig) part of all? Think what the retail price of this stuff is, how popular it is globally and realize it is made in Mexico with Mexican labor...That has to be a huge profit margin, especially in America - one country away by land, NAFTA, and cheap labor, all for a six pack price that is higher than what you would pay for a 12pk of union made U.S. macro swill. HUGE profit margin I would imagine. The swindle of the century...

So sad that it is so easy to dupe people into shelling out relatively high dollar for joke-time pee pee swill. I'm not being snobby - if a six was $5.99 tops then I would keep quiet but no, we're talkin craft beer sixer price for sweaty water.

08-31-2011 17:26:33 | More by dedrinker
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -21.7%

You know its sad when this is my best option at a pub. Safe to say, I won't be going back there again. $5.50 for a bottle of this golden piss. Thank god for the lime, got me through most of this. Just tasted really bland and a rusty like after taste. Definately a low point for me, with beer in the past couple years. This town sucks.

08-28-2011 21:46:25 | More by WeedKing4
Pegasus

2.5/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pale golden color with a small off-white head, lots of carbonation, poor lace.

Aroma: Mild hops, grains, and cooked vegetables, the latter dominating. No skunk was present, as this is the brown glass "Familiar" package.

Taste: Flavor begins with lightly sweet malt, cooked vegetables, and corn flavors. Toward the middle of the taste, weak hops begin to assert themselves. Finishes with a touch of malt and residual hop bitterness.

Mouth feel: A bit thin, but also smooth, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Corona is far from a quality beer, but in its defense it must be said, it does go down quite easily. On a blazing hot day, and the high here today is supposed to be 108F, once could do worse than an ice-cold Corona in a frozen glass.

Presentation: Packaged in a thirty-two ounce brown glass (Corona"Familiar"), served in a standard Pilsener glass.

08-28-2011 15:08:57 | More by Pegasus
GONZALOYANNA

Spain

330ml bottle.Enjoyed directly from the bottle many times in many countries since 1981.Pale light straw yellow.Cristal clear.Poor crown,no retention,white foam.Grainy slightly malty aromas.Tasting & mouthfeel are bland.Light bitterness,light body,watery.Notes: So do what you have to do:put a couple of lime or lemon wedges into the bottle & make sure it is at a low temperature in a hot sunny day...then could be easy drinkable.Nevertheless,avoid hot meals or over carbonation is gonna bother you.I promise.

08-28-2011 01:37:59 | More by GONZALOYANNA
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.