Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Wadsey

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Corona Extra

Served in refrigerated bottle with a lime slice. Call me a traditionalist.

A: Appears clear pale straw with some effervescence. No head, probably from lime. Attractive condensation on outside of bottle.  Kinda like one of the commercials.

S: Lime.

T: Lime and some coarse grainy malts. Medium-light bitterness  Clean, crisp finish.

M: Medium-light body and medium carbonation. Fizzy, like carbonated water.

O: The lime casts a long shadow over other elements of smell and taste. Still drinkable and yet less water-like than other pilsners that I've recently sampled.

Thanks to my sister-in-law for the opportunity.

06-19-2011 20:05:47 | More by Wadsey
leansean88

2.93/5  rDev +27.4%

I was amazed at how much flack this beer has gotten. It's not the best around, but among the worst? Seriously consider that. What Corona Extra really is is more of a situational beer. If certain criteria is met, it can be greatly enjoyed.

- Drink on a hot summer day.
- There's no shame in adding a lime. Make sure it's a real lime and not an artificial flavor.
- Buy fresh. Skunkiness is a dangerous thing with this beer.

There's a reason these things are advertised the way they are, so it should be considered. Besides, you wouldn't be able to save Keystone or Natural Ice with these constraints.

06-15-2011 05:45:28 | More by leansean88
Tford

Rhode Island

1.25/5  rDev -45.7%

A: Looks like urine. Has a small fizzy head which disappears instantly just like my urine, not a very appealing look.

S: Smells like urine, a hoppy urine. Does not smell very strong though, almost like nothing until you dip your nose in it.

T: Well if it looks like urine and it smells like urine.... This is a horrible beer, it tastes like normal beer after it has passed through my urinary system (I wouldn't know for sure). You can taste hops... but that's it, just watery hops. I couldn't even imagine what Corona light tastes like; I hear it's also called Aquafina.

M: Has a very watery feel with mild carbonation, kind of like flat Soda (Also probably urine). You don't even realize you're drinking anything.

O: Ewww, I can’t believe this is so popular. I can pee in a cup for a lot less than what this costs. If I were stranded on an island with Corona and needed to drink it to survive, I would Bear Grylls it and give myself an enema.

06-12-2011 17:35:39 | More by Tford
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

1.35/5  rDev -41.3%

330ml bottle served in an ordinary glass.

A: Pours a clean pale yellow color. One finger white bubbled head. Looks like artificially carbonated (and probably it is like the low quality mass production lagers are)

S: Stinks. It's something between plastic and corn.

T: Follows the nose. Very watery. No bitterness. Disgusting

M: Very light and watery body. Reasonable but artificial carbonation

O: Really difficult to drink it. I could not finish the glass

06-11-2011 21:23:12 | More by eduardolinhalis
ajcobb24

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance - I hate being vulgar or not professional in my reviews, but what can I say? It really has a pale, urine-like appearance to it.

Smell - I have said it once and I will continue to say it no matter how many people disagree with me. This beer literally smells like burning marijuana. My brothers are the ones that buy this beer all the time and they keep it in the garage. I will walk into the garage and can immediately tell if this beer is present because it smells like marijuana.

Taste - it reminds me of drinking spoiled beer. The taste is unique if there is anything good to say about it. Really have never tasted any other beer that tastes like this one. Can detect some slight corn taste with some retro-nasal breathing.

Mouthfeel - Like drinking carbonated water. Not any body to the beer to speak of.

Overall - not impressed at all. If I had to choose between Budweiser and this beer, it would be a very hard to decision between which I liked least. I probably would have to choose the Budweiser over this one because of the smell coming from this beer.

06-10-2011 21:31:19 | More by ajcobb24
WhiteDevil

poured into a pilsner glass from clear glass bottle

A: pale yellow, no head, ring of foam around the glass

S: mildly sweet and very skunky...very

T: follows the smell. old corn chips and pot. no other notes detectible.

M: watery and quite carbonated. has a similar mouthfeel to like bud light etc.

O: tastes like a generic cerveza. seems like something frat boys drink when they grow up.

06-04-2011 05:56:10 | More by WhiteDevil
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.35/5  rDev +45.7%

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Fridge chilled to approx 38 degrees
24oz Bottle (Purchased in Kansas/full-strength)

Now, this one actually looks like urine. From the piss-yellow color of the liquid, to the foamy, white, head that forms and rapidly dissipates. No lacing.
(This is pretty much what adjunct lagers are supposed to look like though...)

Not much to the smell. Light hint of skunk spray. Light trace of lime (although I did NOT add one). Mild grainy presence.

Light graininess. Mild sweetness. Light touch of corn.

Medium-bodied with a medium carbonation level. Very smooth, lightly clean, yet maintains a hint of substance.

It's cold, wet and lightly sweet. You could definitely do worse.

06-01-2011 04:24:44 | More by coldmeat23
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

2.33/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a pale golden colour with a thin white head with almost no retention. There is a collar around the edge of the glass, but no lacing otherwise. Smell is of virtually nothing, which is kind of a relief because I was expecting skunk city. Maybe some grass and corn.

Corona Extra is one of the wateriest beers I have ever consumed. It tastes like damp adjunct corn, with maybe some pale malts. There is a twinge of something resembling bitterness in the finish, but it is not hops, and I lack the beer vocabulary (beercabulary?) to adequately describe this flavour, so I will just say it's not all that pleasant. I don't think this bottle was overly skunked, either, given the neutral odour. Heavily carbonated and wetter than club soda. It's drinkable, but technically you can say that of any liquid that isn't innately poisonous. I am willing to say this about Corona - it is probably not poisonous.

Somehow I have always managed to avoid reviewing Corona all these years, even though I have had at least a dozen of them in the past - all leftovers from a string of parties and visitors. I am still mystified as to how this beer became so popular, or why people are willing to pay what they do for it. I guess marketing really is that powerful. I *do* understand why they keep showing up in my fridge though - I don't think I could stand drinking 5 or 6 of these; I'd be willing to leave the last few bottles behind as well. Well, a few Corona left in the fridge is certainly better than a broken window or barf in the shag carpet.

[Updated March 8 2014]

I picked up a 710 mL bottle, mostly because it was on sale and I wanted the cap for my collection. This beer is just as unimpressive as ever - a pale, sickly yellow colour, with a head that evaporates instantly and an aroma that allows this beer to serve as an effective substitute for skunk pheromone. The only praise I can muster? It actually tastes ok, but that's because it doesn't really taste like much of anything. Served ice cold in hot weather, I can see the appeal, but not at the typical price point.

Final Grade: 2.33, a D+.

05-29-2011 20:26:54 | More by thehyperduck
mdaschaf

Washington

2.05/5  rDev -10.9%

Drank this in honor of a friend who passed away. It was the only beer he would drink.

A: Light, clear yellow in color. Small white head that is gone in an instant and left no lacing.

S: Not much going on. Some corn and other adjunct aromas, some graininess. Light skunkiness as well.

T: Pretty boring and watery. Typical macro/adjunct taste. Had this one without a lime, but it needs it. Slightly sweet malts and some corn. No hops at all.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Crisp, but not really refreshing.

O: Not what I want to be drinking..ever really. I know I will have it again, but it will likely be due lack of other options at a party or BBQ.

05-19-2011 21:01:23 | More by mdaschaf
Treebs

1.63/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Just a plain golden lager color, almost like hay.

S: Smells of bitter hops with some off malt in there as well

T: Bitter spoiled hops with a not so pleasant dry malt backend.

M: Very crisp and light. Light body with barely any carbonation.

O: I could do with out, but when available at a beach party I'll take it.

05-14-2011 03:12:15 | More by Treebs
hahahadave

2.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Serving Size
Bottle and cans.... and just clap yours hands, clap your hands!

Appearance
Yellow in color the way a lager should look. Almost too light....

Smell
Smells like you could drink a million. Most of the smell comes from the carbonation right after opening this tasty liquid. Although most, like myself, enjoy this beer with lime so we don't get scurvy on those long summer afternoons.

Taste
Taste like a cold, lightly malty, possibly rice, drink. Very lite bitter taste.

Mouthfeel
Very light and hopefully cold. If not cooler then room temp get another while giving the old one to a house plant in need.

Overall
This beer is for the hot days on vacation down by the beach, near the pool, in the garage, while doing laundry, finishing a project in the workshop, getting yard work done or just making friends at the lake on a boat. Found in nearly every bar on the planet. Great with tacos. Enjoy.

05-12-2011 05:11:52 | More by hahahadave
evanlarkin

District of Columbia

2.23/5  rDev -3%

Poured into an imperial pint.

Appearance:
1 1/2 fingers of head, which were gone when I came back from fetching some pretzels. Light light yellow and very clear. Not unpleasant exactly, but far from my norm.

Smell:
Malty, I guess? Very light hops scent barely dribbling out of the glass. It basically doesn't smell like anything.

Taste:
Bitterness, very slight, in the front. Really weird flavor here. Kind of like a sharp maltiness. It actually has a certain amount of citrus sweetness, which would be good for warm weather.

Mouthfeel:
None to speak of. Light carbonation.

Overall:
Not my top adjunct lager, which still gets to be PBR. It isn't very smooth compared to most others, but it does have some hop citrus, letting me know why it's popular as a summer beer.

05-09-2011 23:59:47 | More by evanlarkin
fullsweep

United Kingdom (England)

2.88/5  rDev +25.2%

330 mL can poured into a plastic cup on the airplane.

Never had Corona from a can, only from their clear bottles . . .

A: thin and yellow but a bit more colour than some of the other lagers. Not to be a downer, but it's very much the colour of urine--or straw.

S: some corn/maize in with the typical 'beer' smell.

T: Corona has a sharp flavour, a slight sweetness upfront but followed by an immediate flat bitterness. There's not much complexity though. You can pick up some corn in the flavour as well (though not sure if that's the adjunct they use).

M: fizzy and carbonation; light yet some substance to the mouthfeel.

O: Out of the 'crappy lager' category, this is one of my preferred.

Serving type: can

05-09-2011 21:36:44 | More by fullsweep
peacebone116

2.98/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured into a Pilsner glass from a brown Familiar bottle, which I brought back from the Yucatan Peninsula on my honeymoon....in 2007. This review is NOT from notes taken back then; we actually split this bottle of beer this weekend to celebrate nearly 4 wonderfully happy years of marriage and the 5 de Mayo weekend.

Opened the bottle expecting silence, and yet there was a definite pop and hiss as a bit of vapor came out of the cold bottle.

A: Pale straw colored body with thick (really?) white head. I honestly cannot believe that there is head on this beer! Head is retained for a while, leaving a little bit of lace on the sides.

N: This will determine how much lemon I will need to add; I hold the beer to my nose, take a deep whiff and discover the scent of corn, sweet malty biscuits, and a slight scent of lemon zest...lemon zest?! WTF?! This beer traveled in a suit case 3 years ago, in the tropical heat, from damn near the equator to northern CA, and it does not smell like skunk! I am not going to even add lemon to this (yet).

T/M: The taste follows the nose with a bit of sweet malts and corn. Light and dry mouthfeel, the cold carbonation is refreshing after a spring day of yard work.

My blushing bride (hey...it was the honeymoon!) and I had picked up this bottle in Tulum to drink on the beach, but never got around to it b/c it lost its chill and we had no way of cooling it down. We ended up bringing it back to the US with us because I did not know what else to do with it. It had sat in the back of the cupboard for several years because neither of us are really huge fans of Corona beer. We only decided to drink it because we thought it would be funny to see how much the beer had degraded.

I cannot believe that this bottle was drinkable! There was absolutely nothing wrong with this beer, and it tasted better than the Corona Extra someone had brought fresh from the store to the Pacquiao/Mosley fight-party last night. It really goes to show you how much the clear bottle degrades the product that it contains. There were no skunky notes to our Familiar bottle despite its massive journey.

05-09-2011 16:06:27 | More by peacebone116
Jimmys

A: a pale gold. a dense bubbly head with some retention. sparse medium sized carbonation bubbles can be seen through a very clear body.

S: a definitive skunk aroma. slight metallic. thank you clear glass.

T: i am struggling to find any sweetness in this. more of an effervescence that keeps the palate from finding any flavor. very dry.

M: an uncomfortably light body with a hard carbonation.

D: now i see why people throw a lime in this bitch, to give it some kind of flavor. classically uneventful.

05-06-2011 01:32:34 | More by Jimmys
MattyG85

2.93/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Bright golden yellow with lots of rising bubbles. Small white head with decent retention. Small amount of lacing.

Smell: Corn, grains, pale malts, and a hint of hops in the background. Skunkiness also lingers around.

Taste: Sweet malts, corn, and grain up front followed by a light hint of hop bitterness. Slightly sour.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high carbonation. Light and crisp.

Overall: Fairly refreshing and drinkable with no offensive taste but I'm not a fan of the skunk. I'll drink it again but wouldn't seek it out.

05-05-2011 20:57:51 | More by MattyG85
Raven3464

Japan

2.08/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Very light, almost clear yellow. Carbonation bubbles continuously rise to the top of the beer.

Smell: The smell is similar to any other adjunct lager but with a slightly strong corn smell.

Taste: I understand why many serve this beer with a lime; there really isn't much of a taste other than a hint of sour yeast.

Mouth feel: Light and watery but refreshing. This beer is incredible easy to gulp.

Overall: This certainly isn't the worst beer in the world but it lacks personality in just about every aspect. The one saving grace is its drink-ability. This is one of those beers you chug after mowing your lawn on a hot summer day. If this was a bargain price beer, I might even recommend it for such an occasion. It may be worth trying once on a hot summer day at the beach. Otherwise, it should be avoided.

05-05-2011 05:15:38 | More by Raven3464
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a nice looking one and a half finger head, but I'm sure it will be gone soon. The head is completely white, and the body is yellow and completely see through, it also has more carbonation than any beer I can seen in a long time. The body is also completely transparent, the head is pretty much gone, but not to the bare bone, it holds on a little bit which is good. Overall it looks like an adjunct lager, nothing impressive here. The first thing I pick up on the nose is skunk, this is a skunky beer for sure, too bad too, because I think I can actually detect some hops behind that skunk, which is rare for a adjunct lager, after that I smell some sweet malt. I have to give it some credit for having a hop characteristic to it, but for the most part, it's not going to be a good beer because of that skunk. Well it's hard to dissect any flavor out from underneath that skunk flavor, but if I had to it would be that little bit of hops and tiny bit of malt. The skunk just totally overpowers this beer. It's not a god awful taste, like some adjunct lagers have, but it's not a good taste. I mean it's drinkable, and somewhat refreshing, but for the most part it's all skunk. The mouthfeel is very interesting, it has a very fizzy, maybe even thick mouthfeel, so...it's not a typically "good" mouthfeel, but I'll give it some points for being creative. Overall, it doesn't have many good qualities, but it is a unique beer, even if it is because it's so skunky. People always say "Corona and lime" for a reason, it's because it has a unique taste (that tastes happens to go well with limes, but that's aside the point). This isn't a good beer, but I don't want to call it a bad beer, despite what my numbers say, it's drinkable and unique. Fine maybe it is a bad beer, but it's above some of the other bad beers.

04-28-2011 07:06:58 | More by MaltsOfGlory
SkunkWorks

12 oz bottle served in a... bottle. I mean, who pours out an American Adjunct Lager? Really?

Look: clear, golden body visible through the bottle. As I drink, a bit of lacing is left on the interior of the bottle for a few seconds.

Smell: smells like pale malt, adjuncts and a mild skunkiness.

Taste: follows the nose with pale malt, corny adjunct, and a hint of skunky hoppiness.

Feel: light bodied, crisp carbonation and easy for a sessionable beer.

Overall: despite the nostalgia I have for Corona, drinking it on summer nights at the beach before I could legally buy beer, this isn't particularly good. Fairly thirst quenching though and okay as for as American Adjunct Lagers go and okay for drinking on a hot day, but if I had my druthers I would've been drinking pretty much anything else. Cheers!

04-25-2011 14:57:23 | More by SkunkWorks
Schmittymack

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -20.4%

Finally decided to review this one as I'd had it several times over the years, most recently last night at Old Chicago for the annual Cinco De Mayo mini tour. Poured a clear yellow color with no head and no lacing. No aroma whatsoever. Taste was pretty much just sweet malt--too sweet, in my opinion. I guess I could do this on a hot summer day but definitely one I won't buy a sixer of.

04-19-2011 07:42:37 | More by Schmittymack
JizackFH

2.23/5  rDev -3%

A - This beer pours a very pale yellow straw color. It has a small 1-finger white fizzy head on it. The head fizzled out quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. There are plenty of rising carbonation bubbles visible as well.

S - It smells of pale malts and corn adjunct. There is also a small touch of hop presence as well. It pretty much smells like your average adjunct lager, but the smell is less offensive to me than many of the other adjunct lagers out there.

T - The taste is sweet pale malts and corn adjuncts up front. There is also a bit of a sour taste in the background, and some hop presence as well. The finish is actually pretty clean, and leaves just a bit of earthy bitterness and a touch of sourness behind.

M - This has a light body and high prickly carbonation. It goes down very easy. and leaves some bitterness in the mouth.

O - The drinkability actually isn't all that bad. It goes down easy, and is pretty good for an adjunct lager. It is one of the least offesnive of the style that I've had.

Serving type: can

04-11-2011 18:57:25 | More by JizackFH
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

Through the clear bottle the viewer greeted with a straw yellow beer.
Any aroma from malt, adjuncts, or hops is overpowered by the skunk of this beer.
However, there is something about that skunked taste that goes really well with a taco or some enchiladas and might be the only saving grace for this otherwise pathetic beer.
Despite its high adjuncts, skunked smell, and skunked taste there is something about a long summer day that can make this still an enjoyable beer.

04-09-2011 01:11:53 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
ghetto90007

Mediocre Beer from the Firm Fridge series of reviews:

12 oz. poured into a pint glass.

Pours golden yellow, big bubbles in a white head that I had to pour like crazy to bring out. Some impostor lacing. After a minute or two this is just yellow liquid with a little bit of carbonation streaming to the top.

The skunkiness pounds you in the face as soon as you open the bottle. Good God, no wonder people shove limes in this stuff. No wonder no one ever pours it into a glass. This stuff is reeking from a foot away. It's so overpowering, the skunkiness, that I can't really identify much else in the smell.

Grainy, corn, and whaddaya know - skunk. Some bitterness. Crisp dry finish that some 17-year old deep down inside of me still kind of likes.

Almost aggressive carbonation, crisp mouthfeel. I think this is why people like this one. It's a summer day pounder. Real light bodied and drinkable if you can get around the skunk.

I have one use for Coronas. I might use it in a summer drink - clamato y cerveza. The Corona gets overpowered by the clamato, tapatio sauce, and other secret goodies that I throw in there. Even then, I don't use Corona if I can get hold of Pilsener from El Salvador.

Standing alone, this beer is not great.

04-08-2011 01:34:26 | More by ghetto90007
jjjeremy

3.23/5  rDev +40.4%

a-piss color the morning after to many of these brews
s- a bit skunky,but there are way worse
t-basic,bland, but if ice cold while grilling,can be very refreshing
m-okay,nothing special
overall-i do not mind it.it is over rated but still decent if having more than a couple.plus id rather pass a few of these out than share my private collection

04-07-2011 18:41:19 | More by jjjeremy
GoNowhere

Arkansas

1.68/5  rDev -27%

A: Adjunct lager clear. Not quite dehydrated urine in color but you should really drink some water if your waste looks like this.

S: Skunky. Sour... I have to add a lime... Ah. There it is. Citrusy and still somehow skunky.

T: I added a lime to kill the natural skunk.

M: Crisp. Nothing to think about except for the pee finish. Refreshing if I am on the beach and need to wash saltwater out of my mouth. However, I am not and I just paid $9 for six of this?

O: A market built around selling skunk beer to the US. Mexicans don't even drink this crap. I will quote a typical beer store customer in the south: "I need a case of MGD and a case of Corona because it is the best beer ever." Nuff said.

04-07-2011 04:08:36 | More by GoNowhere
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.