Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

2.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a glass, sans lime
A - bubbly clear very light golden leaning towards almost no colour, fingernail of head dissipated very quickly leaving almost no trace
S - very grainy wheat/corn hints, light grassy hop hint, slight tinny metallic hint
T - very weak grainy malt, also weak on the hops, slight tinny tinge, very little flavour in general, the typical lime in the bottle really does create the flavour
M - medium carbonation is refreshing, but very thin and watery, some light breadiness on the finish
D - in reviewing mass produced/consumed beers I'm aiming to keep an open mind and not just be another beer snob writing off a layman's favorite, but there really isn't much too this beer in terms of aromas, flavours, or feel, the only real plus is that you can basically chug this like water, and it is light and refreshing with a lime on a hot day, it's not a bad beer, there's just nothing to it

09-10-2010 01:18:43 | More by joemcgrath27
weller1js

West Virginia

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%

appearance: pours a clear, light/on-the-verge of pale yellow, settles to very little carbonation with very slight lacing.

smell: metallic scent with sweet undertones, nothing unique.

taste: metallic bitter flavor with a sweetness that comes of as if it was added to the flavor. The addition of a lime serves to neutralize this clashing flavor and helps to mellow out the bitterness.

drinkability: the addition of the lime is its only saving grace; it's a beer that can be drank casually but nothing spectacular.

09-09-2010 00:30:24 | More by weller1js
VelvetExtract

2.3/5  rDev 0%

A-Piss yellow with bubbles.

S-Incredibly skunky. Just straight skunk ass...and corn?

T-Corn. grains. artificial sweetness. Really bad. Skunk ass again. Better than the light but still really bad.

M-Very bubbly and quite watery.

D-Out of all the large scale beers out there I think Corona pisses me off the most. Only really enjoyable with a lime.

09-08-2010 20:24:20 | More by VelvetExtract
chadjulius

Washington

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I do not understand why limes do not come with a box of Coronas. Is anybody drinking this stuff by itself, without a lime? I've never seen it. And for good reason, because the beer does not taste well on its own (w/o a lime or lemon). But it can be refreshing on a hot, summer day...Or at least that's what the commercials tell me.

09-07-2010 08:13:06 | More by chadjulius
44ouncer

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%

Wow. What swill. This tastes like some kind of supermarket store brand beer from the 70's. Something like Heritage House Premium Beer from Dominick's in the Chicago. It's that bad.

Slight darker than Corona Extra. No real smell to describe. Tastes cooked with maybe a slight ting of hops. Mouthfeel is strange. Kind of heavy as if the carbonation washes out.

Drinkability doesn't apply because you don't want to drink this stuff.

Seriously, this stuff is that bad.

09-07-2010 03:02:21 | More by 44ouncer
JackieTH

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Very pale straw yellow with bubbles rising. Consumed straight from the bottle without a lime.

Smell: Grain along with a slight but distinct metallic skunky sulfur reminiscent of overcooked cabbage.

Taste: Boiled corn and slight sweetness with hop presence to balance. Clean finish due mostly to high carbonation and a bit of lingering hop.

Drinkability: Well okay it's drinkable, sure. Although it's better with a lime to mask the sulfur and even better when actually on a beach in Mexico. Otherwise I do believe it's nuts to pay $20+ for a case of this stuff.

08-31-2010 14:54:23 | More by JackieTH
BeerNinja007

New Hampshire

Picked up a 24oz clear painted bottle (we've all seen the style) at the Lebanon Village Market for a paltry $2.29. Code JF16C064 20:24 printed on the neck. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A giant wave of skunk assaults my nose immediately after popping the cap. Into the glass it goes, where it explodes in a massively fizzy Alka-Seltzer head that's completely gone in a matter of seconds. Seriously, there's absolutely nothing, not even a single bubble. The abundant carbonation rising from this clear watery yellow #4 liquid bursts immediately upon hitting the surface. Smell is a combination of various skunkinesses: musty skunk, rancid skunk, vomit skunk. Mouthfeel is watery and offensively fizzy, I can feel bubbles forming on my teeth as if I were swishing peroxide. Taste is a mellower version of the smell- no more, no less, and equally terrible.

I'm not sure what I hate more: the beer itself, or the mindless fanboi zombie culture that loves it. Yea, on about 3 seconds of contemplation, I'm sure I hate the idea of Corona even more than I hate Corona itself (and that's saying a lot). This beer, probably more than anything else on earth ever spawned from a very unlucky yeast cell, has a huge following built on nothing but image and advertising dollars. If there is such a thing as Yeast Reincarnation, no doubt only those unfortunate fungal microbes with the worst sort of karma would ever find themselves in a vat of Corona wort.

08-30-2010 23:04:27 | More by BeerNinja007
perrymarcus

2.15/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

[note: review done w/o lime]

pours a clear, pale yellow with a couple fingers of white head that lacks any sort of retention; no lacing. smells skunky with notes of grain. bland, lackluster flavor with an unpleasant bitterness to it. this is what necessitates the lime. as noted in other reviews, this is not a good tasting beer even by macro standards. still (also as others have mentioned), i will admit accepting one from time to time under the right (read: beach) circumstances. with a lime.

08-25-2010 22:13:01 | More by perrymarcus
Natainos

4.1/5  rDev +78.3%

A: Yellow corny, with a white head

S: I like this beer, BUT NOT for the smell, very skunk to weedy smell

T: this beer is a crisp corn & lite hoppy good with or without lime or limon

M: fizzy combination

D: YES on a cold or hot day (especially)... the beer does taste rather bad when hot almost undrinkable, so Ice cold is the way to go. The Party beer IMO

08-24-2010 01:22:27 | More by Natainos
DrJay

1.6/5  rDev -30.4%

Clear bottle. Crystal clear beer. Pale yellow with a bright white head that disappeared almost immediately, leaving a thin collar. I really don't like the aroma -- too much of a sulfury hop character and some skunkiness make it hard to take. Musty and a bit sour smelling. Grainy sweetness and the same skunky hop flavour, sort of floral, but not good. Light bodied, average carbonation, dry. I'll continue to avoid this in the future.

08-19-2010 18:58:19 | More by DrJay
AgentMunky

2.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Perfectly clear, light urine-yellow, with bubbles and light head. It's not too bad, but I'm not impressed by the pale shade or anaemic foam.

S: Jesus! I opened the bottle and could smell it; once it was poured, I can catch whiffs from feet away. I tried to think of a delicate way to phrase this, but it smells like farts and skunk spray. When I put my nose right in the glass, it's not as bad -- the skunkiness is milder and there is a grain with a slight sour edge.

T: After the ludicrously bad smell, I was prepared for something much worse. In actuality, Corona tastes kind of okay. It's fizzy with a definite beer flavour that outshines the sweet grain. The aftertaste is harsh and unpleasantly bitter, but at least it has flavour. In the background of the main taste is the same awkward skunky bitterness. I don't particularly like it, but I give Corona props for making an adjunct lager with actual taste.

M: Nothing exciting. Watery, fleeting, and bland.

O: It's consumable enough, except for the abrasive aftertaste. On the insistence of a friend, I squeezed a lime into the remaining half of my beer; now it tastes like limeade with grain squeezed into it. Make of that what you will...it's more drinkable, but no longer tastes like beer. Overall, pretty bad.

08-18-2010 00:23:06 | More by AgentMunky
droomyster

2.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a clear gold with a nice white head. Gets off to a good start but everything is downhill from there. The nose is vibrantly grainy but not venture into more interesting hop territory. The taste is also a one note wonder. It's not terrible but neither is worth my while to ever have another for any reason. Taste become outright atrocious if it's anything less than ice cold.

08-13-2010 00:24:16 | More by droomyster
VietPong

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev +34.8%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

08-11-2010 22:51:19 | More by VietPong
mjurney

Re-review.
24oz bottle.

Appearance:
Pale straw color, very clear. Lots of carbonation. No head, no lacing whatsoever.

Smell:
Unpleasant skunky aroma from the clear bottle, corn and some alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Corn up front, a little sweet grainy, sharp skunky flavor. Finish is rough with unpleasant dry aftertaste. Body is thin and watery. Carbonation is very high.

Drinkability:
Very low. I couldn't drink the rest of this beer. I rather drink Bud or Coors over this awful beer.

08-08-2010 15:40:23 | More by mjurney
burnerfinger

3.03/5  rDev +31.7%

bought a 24 oz bomber of this for my Wife (B.L.) and so I took the oppurtunity to review it:

A: Ultra clear, straw colored brew. Sports a wispy- ginger ale-like head that dissipates really quick and leaves absolutley ZERO lacing.

S: just a touch of maltiness with O SO LITE hopiness

T: best way to describe this is Macro style. Metallic with a grainy maltiness

M: overcarbonated and fizzy. no ABV bite.

D: very very drinkable. (trying to be generous here) drink these by the dozen if you care to.

08-08-2010 03:56:02 | More by burnerfinger
scottfrie

1.93/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle into pint glass. Reviewed from old notes.

A: Pours a light yellow urine color, crystal clear, with a thin bright white fizzy head that disappeared quickly leaving no bubbles or lace.
S: Very faint scents. Nothing really stands out. Smells like a light adjunct lager. Faint sour grainy malt perhaps. Smells kinda like corn meal and skunk.
T: Very light flavors. Tastes like slightly sweet, slight bitter water. No flavor until the aftertaste.
M: Soda-like carbonation is very bubbly. Super light body.
D: I'm not knocking this beer because it's an adjunct lager. I'm knocking it because it's one of the worst adjunct lagers. The only time I've enjoyed this beer was as a water replacement in Mexico. I like almost all the other BMC style beers more than this one. Stick a couple limes in it and serve it ice cold if you must.

08-04-2010 18:34:14 | More by scottfrie
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - basic yellow, small white head that dissipates quickly.

S - smells skunky, grassy, traces of alcohol

T&M - average carbonation, skunky taste, and the finish is not smooth

D - I'll admit, that if I'm lying on a beach chair and someone hands be a cold corona with a lime; I'll drink it. But it is a poor beer.

07-20-2010 17:23:04 | More by spinrsx
newcastleme

2.05/5  rDev -10.9%

I feel that this is one of the most overhyped beer's on the market. I'd heard great things before I actually tried it. It was very disappointing. If I'm going to drink a mexican beer, I'd prefer Modelo Negro. Even though similar, I think it's a good alternative.

07-20-2010 04:39:25 | More by newcastleme
Sudsy89

1.58/5  rDev -31.3%

I got one of these at a college party when I was a wee lad...terrible introduction to beer.

Drank it straight from the bottle, chilled. Probably a good thing because the first thing I noticed was the awful piss-like smell, a skunkiness. Looks the same, too. I guess Corona is an acquired taste, it manages to be stinky and watery at the same time, like a Bud Light gone sour. Alcohol content is a bit lower than other lagers, so I'd say the drinkability would be on par with a light beer. I'd not want another because I don't enjoy the taste or smell, and don't drink just to get a buzz. I give this two thumbs down, especially since the price isn't as low as the quality. (Still a lot of Gulf Coast Floridians love this stuff, their choice.)

07-19-2010 03:37:16 | More by Sudsy89
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Super white nose and a bland yellow body
S: A weak rice or corn aroma.
T/m: A crisp mouthfeel, on a single layered beer. Showing only a hint of basic lager flavors.
D: A beer that can be drank quickly, but it does not have me coming back to the taste.

07-18-2010 23:51:03 | More by GDBEERMAN
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.73/5  rDev -24.8%

This one was free, so don't judge me. Haha. Served from bottle into a Blue Ridge standard pint. Pours pale yellow with a one finger white head with AGGRESSIVE pour that subsides to none almost instantly. There was no apparent lacing present at all. The aroma was comprised of malt and a small hint of fruit. The flavor was of malt, sour fruit, water, and citrus. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall I tried to be fair with this brew in my rating but it is just bad. I have never really been a fan of this brew and will probably never be. It is just missing too much to be good. Maybe this is why the tell you not to drink the water in Mexico???

07-18-2010 17:04:18 | More by thagr81us
geovitray

1.48/5  rDev -35.7%

A guy came into my craft beer store and asked if I had Corona. I gave him some snitty reply like: "We don't sell bad beer here." Afterwards I felt like a snob and I hate that so I decided to try this beer one more time with a unbiased mindset. Got the classic clear bottle from a bodega in Brooklyn.

A: Looks exactly like a good pee. Not too dark or light. Just a perfect pee colour. I mean you could feed this through a tube and use it to make special effects pee in a movie. Very little carbonation that fades instantly.

S: Smells very lightly of corn and rotting veggies. Is this really beer or some sort of corn wine? No hops or malt present in the aroma at all.

T: I can't believe I guzzled this down in college. Either my pallet has grown or I was just too drunk to notice but this is one bad tasting beer. The only consolation is it doesn't have much taste at all. But what it does have is rotten asparagus and old canned corn. Faintly, in the back.

M: Mouthfeel like canada dry seltzer. I guess this is why people like to drink it in the summer cause I like a nice seltzer on a hot day but the effect for me is ruined by subtle under taste of rust, can corn and rotten garbage.

D: Went down very easy but I did not enjoy it as it went down. As this is basically badly flavored seltzer water I got close to my college chugging record of 2 seconds with this beer. Made me flashback to vomiting in a trashcan as I finished it. Maybe I am the wrong kind of person to drink this beer as I have been exposed to good tasting beer. I have decided I will never taste it again. Praise Jah in all his glory. Never again.

So it seems I am not a snob after all. This beer is a marketing fraud perpetrated on the people of the earth. Not at all beer, it is my opinion that it is a badly made mixed drink that someone allowed some salad to fall into. Should this beer even be on the site? Is there a minimum amount of malt and hops you need to have in the beverage in ratio to other ingredients in order to be called beer? The only reason for a person to buy or drink this beer is because in your subconscious one has been programed to think that this beer is really refreshing on a hot day. It is not even that refreshing when you consider the other options available. Even PBR would be a better BBQ beer because it has that same refreshing effect without the garbage and corn flavor. Wow. Nobody should drink this so they go out of business. I feel for all the working class hispanics in my neighborhood who can only afford this beer to drink. Modelo is lying and stealing from customers and using the mass media to brainwash them into thinking it is a drinkable beer. It is not at all. My Final Verdict: Bad

P.S. Anyone who says this beer tastes of citrus or it tastes "limey" should think about the fact that they might have put a lime in the beer and that might be where the taste came from. If so that is not good reviewing because we are not here to review the lime juice that is added. I did not use a lime and I am here to tell you that this beer has ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, no lime or citrus flavor at all. Not even a little bit. Nope you are totally wrong if you think there is. Try again with out the lime in it, it really has no lime flavor. None whatsoever. Really, Seriously. No lime. Not even a hint of citrus. None. Nada...

07-17-2010 20:37:24 | More by geovitray
kcr357

1.58/5  rDev -31.3%

No need for a long winded explanation, it looks bad, smells and tastes horrendous, and gives me a headache every time I drink it. Knowing this I bought another six pack to rate. Yep, still awful. Pity the person who forgets to buy a lime to kill the flavor.

07-17-2010 01:04:50 | More by kcr357
rowey77

Australia

3.5/5  rDev +52.2%

A : Pale yellow color, lots of carbonation coming from it. No head at all. Wasn't made at all to go into a glass.
S : Nothing really stands out. Come corn smell, there is also a skunk smell beginning here. Clear bottles doesn't help!
T : Regular, nothing particular. Light beer = light taste. Same thing for this one.
M : Really high carbonation. Enjoyable, really refreshing also in the summer outside.
D : Light beer, so I could drink a lot of these over a session. This would make an excellent session beer in the summer only. I never buy Corona in the winter, there is no reason doing so!

07-14-2010 23:45:58 | More by rowey77
jsprain1

1.93/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Paler even than many american macros.
S- The smell is of corn, cooked veggies, and a bit of skunk.
T- The taste is of corn, with a bit of skunkiness to it. some cooked veggie underneath. no hop presence.
M- medium bodied, for an adjunct. Reasonable carbonation for the style.
D- The limes make this beer possible. there are better mexican beers out there.

07-04-2010 07:19:33 | More by jsprain1
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.