Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a nice looking one and a half finger head, but I'm sure it will be gone soon. The head is completely white, and the body is yellow and completely see through, it also has more carbonation than any beer I can seen in a long time. The body is also completely transparent, the head is pretty much gone, but not to the bare bone, it holds on a little bit which is good. Overall it looks like an adjunct lager, nothing impressive here. The first thing I pick up on the nose is skunk, this is a skunky beer for sure, too bad too, because I think I can actually detect some hops behind that skunk, which is rare for a adjunct lager, after that I smell some sweet malt. I have to give it some credit for having a hop characteristic to it, but for the most part, it's not going to be a good beer because of that skunk. Well it's hard to dissect any flavor out from underneath that skunk flavor, but if I had to it would be that little bit of hops and tiny bit of malt. The skunk just totally overpowers this beer. It's not a god awful taste, like some adjunct lagers have, but it's not a good taste. I mean it's drinkable, and somewhat refreshing, but for the most part it's all skunk. The mouthfeel is very interesting, it has a very fizzy, maybe even thick mouthfeel, so...it's not a typically "good" mouthfeel, but I'll give it some points for being creative. Overall, it doesn't have many good qualities, but it is a unique beer, even if it is because it's so skunky. People always say "Corona and lime" for a reason, it's because it has a unique taste (that tastes happens to go well with limes, but that's aside the point). This isn't a good beer, but I don't want to call it a bad beer, despite what my numbers say, it's drinkable and unique. Fine maybe it is a bad beer, but it's above some of the other bad beers.

04-28-2011 07:06:58 | More by MaltsOfGlory
SkunkWorks

12 oz bottle served in a... bottle. I mean, who pours out an American Adjunct Lager? Really?

Look: clear, golden body visible through the bottle. As I drink, a bit of lacing is left on the interior of the bottle for a few seconds.

Smell: smells like pale malt, adjuncts and a mild skunkiness.

Taste: follows the nose with pale malt, corny adjunct, and a hint of skunky hoppiness.

Feel: light bodied, crisp carbonation and easy for a sessionable beer.

Overall: despite the nostalgia I have for Corona, drinking it on summer nights at the beach before I could legally buy beer, this isn't particularly good. Fairly thirst quenching though and okay as for as American Adjunct Lagers go and okay for drinking on a hot day, but if I had my druthers I would've been drinking pretty much anything else. Cheers!

04-25-2011 14:57:23 | More by SkunkWorks
Schmittymack

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -20.4%

Finally decided to review this one as I'd had it several times over the years, most recently last night at Old Chicago for the annual Cinco De Mayo mini tour. Poured a clear yellow color with no head and no lacing. No aroma whatsoever. Taste was pretty much just sweet malt--too sweet, in my opinion. I guess I could do this on a hot summer day but definitely one I won't buy a sixer of.

04-19-2011 07:42:37 | More by Schmittymack
JizackFH

2.23/5  rDev -3%

A - This beer pours a very pale yellow straw color. It has a small 1-finger white fizzy head on it. The head fizzled out quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. There are plenty of rising carbonation bubbles visible as well.

S - It smells of pale malts and corn adjunct. There is also a small touch of hop presence as well. It pretty much smells like your average adjunct lager, but the smell is less offensive to me than many of the other adjunct lagers out there.

T - The taste is sweet pale malts and corn adjuncts up front. There is also a bit of a sour taste in the background, and some hop presence as well. The finish is actually pretty clean, and leaves just a bit of earthy bitterness and a touch of sourness behind.

M - This has a light body and high prickly carbonation. It goes down very easy. and leaves some bitterness in the mouth.

O - The drinkability actually isn't all that bad. It goes down easy, and is pretty good for an adjunct lager. It is one of the least offesnive of the style that I've had.

Serving type: can

04-11-2011 18:57:25 | More by JizackFH
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

Through the clear bottle the viewer greeted with a straw yellow beer.
Any aroma from malt, adjuncts, or hops is overpowered by the skunk of this beer.
However, there is something about that skunked taste that goes really well with a taco or some enchiladas and might be the only saving grace for this otherwise pathetic beer.
Despite its high adjuncts, skunked smell, and skunked taste there is something about a long summer day that can make this still an enjoyable beer.

04-09-2011 01:11:53 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
ghetto90007

Mediocre Beer from the Firm Fridge series of reviews:

12 oz. poured into a pint glass.

Pours golden yellow, big bubbles in a white head that I had to pour like crazy to bring out. Some impostor lacing. After a minute or two this is just yellow liquid with a little bit of carbonation streaming to the top.

The skunkiness pounds you in the face as soon as you open the bottle. Good God, no wonder people shove limes in this stuff. No wonder no one ever pours it into a glass. This stuff is reeking from a foot away. It's so overpowering, the skunkiness, that I can't really identify much else in the smell.

Grainy, corn, and whaddaya know - skunk. Some bitterness. Crisp dry finish that some 17-year old deep down inside of me still kind of likes.

Almost aggressive carbonation, crisp mouthfeel. I think this is why people like this one. It's a summer day pounder. Real light bodied and drinkable if you can get around the skunk.

I have one use for Coronas. I might use it in a summer drink - clamato y cerveza. The Corona gets overpowered by the clamato, tapatio sauce, and other secret goodies that I throw in there. Even then, I don't use Corona if I can get hold of Pilsener from El Salvador.

Standing alone, this beer is not great.

04-08-2011 01:34:26 | More by ghetto90007
jjjeremy

3.23/5  rDev +40.4%

a-piss color the morning after to many of these brews
s- a bit skunky,but there are way worse
t-basic,bland, but if ice cold while grilling,can be very refreshing
m-okay,nothing special
overall-i do not mind it.it is over rated but still decent if having more than a couple.plus id rather pass a few of these out than share my private collection

04-07-2011 18:41:19 | More by jjjeremy
GoNowhere

Arkansas

1.68/5  rDev -27%

A: Adjunct lager clear. Not quite dehydrated urine in color but you should really drink some water if your waste looks like this.

S: Skunky. Sour... I have to add a lime... Ah. There it is. Citrusy and still somehow skunky.

T: I added a lime to kill the natural skunk.

M: Crisp. Nothing to think about except for the pee finish. Refreshing if I am on the beach and need to wash saltwater out of my mouth. However, I am not and I just paid $9 for six of this?

O: A market built around selling skunk beer to the US. Mexicans don't even drink this crap. I will quote a typical beer store customer in the south: "I need a case of MGD and a case of Corona because it is the best beer ever." Nuff said.

04-07-2011 04:08:36 | More by GoNowhere
Samadamsfan2

1.33/5  rDev -42.2%

In my years of beer drinking I've never had a more terrible beer than Corona. I did have this beer with a lime and without a lime and found that the lime improves the flavor. That isn't by any means a good thing though. Corona is a terribly made lager which is overpriced and made from corn and bottled clear (where it is skunked). No head retention and a very thin mouthfeel. I really don't understand how this beer is so popular when it is so pathetic. Better than Corona light though.

04-05-2011 05:22:50 | More by Samadamsfan2
DrinkingDrake

2.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A translucent golden yellow. A bunch of bubbles but no head only some minimal lacing around the rim. Nose is all mild, somewhat sour, light grain obviously adjunct. Tastes like sour/grainy water with a lot of carbonation. An extremely light body that can be easily be drank quickly during your typical American BBQ. No lime for this review but i have sadly consumed a good amount w/ Lime and I "like" it a lot better.

03-29-2011 23:48:51 | More by DrinkingDrake
ArG10ChE

2.45/5  rDev +6.5%

just plain bad not a good beer false advertisement! i mean the taste sucks its skunky leaves a really bad aftertaste the only way to make this beer descent is add to salt and lime, even then its still hard to take down! i rather drink pacifico than this it has more of a smooth slight bitter taste to it than this awful if u want to call it beer

03-29-2011 20:21:00 | More by ArG10ChE
Knapp85

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%

Ok, so this beer couldn't be more popular amongst most people. Haven't been able to see what the hype is though. It comes in a clear bottle that doesn't hide anything. It's clear yellow flavor is minimal and the only thing that really gets this beer something special is a lime wedge. That's pretty much it... Without the lime this beer is pretty much worthless to me.

03-21-2011 00:51:31 | More by Knapp85
largadeer

2.48/5  rDev +7.8%

Straight from the bottle. Clear, pale yellow, pretty standard of the style. Quite a bit of skunkiness on the nose, along with sweet corn, pale malt and a whiff of sulfuric lager yeast. Light on the tongue, firm and crisp up front with a mild bready malt profile. Becomes sweeter in the finish with a bit of lingering corn and sulfur. Very little bitterness or flavor in general. Admittedly pretty refreshing, thanks largely to the general lack of flavor. Not a good beer by any means, but enjoyable on certain occasions.

03-19-2011 06:46:28 | More by largadeer
ChanChan

3.25/5  rDev +41.3%

Drinking this one straight out the bottle; no lime.

Appearance: Light in color with fading head.

Aroma: A bit skunky with a faint smell of bottle cap.

Mouthfeel: light and Carbonated.

Taste: Adjunct lager with a bit of metal in it. Its also quite bitter. I think this all depends on how long the bottle has been exposed to light.

Overall: This beer does not hold a candle to any craft beer but it's not suppose to. This is merely a mindless party beer that should be considered as that. Also don't buy this beer in a six pack or by itself. The twelve pack carton is the only way to have this beer taste decent.

03-15-2011 05:41:40 | More by ChanChan
esv

3.25/5  rDev +41.3%

A) Golden straw. Brilliantly white head, standing 1/4" tall. Dropped to a ring in no time flat. This gets a high rating because it is exactly what a Lite American Lager should look like. When you resurrect the head, it sounds like snap-crackle-pop

S) A hint of sweet ... I don't know what. Just slightly sweet. There is a smell I can't identify that is unique. I don't think it is skunkiness but I don't really know. I know I should probably smell that.

T) Light blahness with a hint of zingy bitterness but just a touch. So nondescript that I won't search for any more words.

M) Light, not as much carbonation as you might expect from the sounds of the beer but the carbonation is fairly high.

I feel foolish giving this such a high rating, but the truth is, it is pretty close to what I expect in a Lite American Lager and while some are highly offended by it, I can't imagine what exactly they could be offended by. I hardly notice that I'm drinking it.

03-13-2011 23:11:19 | More by esv
NilsFrisk

Norway

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%

I've heard so much bad about this beer, so i thought I'd give it a try, to se what i think about it myself.

A skunky smell hits the nose as i open the bottle.
pouring into a glass, the little head disapears right away.

It really does not give much flavour other than carbonated water and dirty coins.

I guess this beer would go down fairly easy, but i don't want to drink anymore than i have to for this review, because if i wanted carbonated water, i would buy that instead.

03-11-2011 17:45:59 | More by NilsFrisk
Retsinis

1.63/5  rDev -29.1%

So I have a large group of friends, some are BA's, some are craft beer enthusiasts, some not so much. One such friend of a friend brought a six pack of Corona to my place, and thankfully drank 5 of them, but one was left. I considered using it to cook with, or just pouring it out. Now, I've had my share of Corona's in my younger days when I did not know any better, but I don't touch the stuff anymore.

Anyhow, figured I might as well review the beer since it's in the fridge, as I have no intentions of buying any more of it ever again.

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. The beer pours straw yellow, with a fizzy white head that rose a good two inches, then rapidly faded to nearly nothing.

The beer smells of metal, corn, and skunk (clear bottles, yeah)

Taste, water, corn, dirty pennies, no hops, and liquid skunk. It's cold, and fizzy.

Mouthfeel is sticky, and really carbonated.

Overall, I echo what others already know, this beer sells exceptionally well in the United States, and in a lot of parts of the world, sadly, due to it's tropical apeal ads. I drank this without the lime and in a glass, but the fact they promote the lime, (and to drink from the bottle) so much, you might as well just drink cold sparkling water with a lime in it on a hot day. It would be just as refreshing as the ads claim this beer is, which it was not for me.

03-10-2011 22:43:11 | More by Retsinis
cnally

Indiana

2.3/5  rDev 0%

Corona, the king of imports. At least in Joe Public's eyes.

This beer pours without any head, rather a slight white fizz. Pale yellow, completely clear.

Not an entirely horrid aroma. Very grainy and grassy. Reminds you of standing in a wet field.

The flavor could certainly be worse. A rather sweet taste, absolutely no bitterness at all. The adjuncts are well hidden. This has a lot of grainy base malt flavor and is shockingly even-keeled. Almost tempting for me to say it is not bad for this style.

The mouthfeel is a horrid mess. Slimy but completely lacking body. Seltzer water, served flat.

After remembering how disgusting Corona Light is, I figured this would also be terrible. It actually shattered my expectations, and forced me to reconcile my preconceived notions about not just beer, but life. Just kidding. It's not THAT good.

03-09-2011 01:05:54 | More by cnally
chiccabeer

2.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Who hasn't had one of these beers. Definitely the quintessential beer of the beach or vacation. Other than those two instances I would not recommend this beer. Obviously, it is best paired with a slice of lime. Drink this beer as cold a possible, when it gets warm it definitely tastes awful. Cheers.

03-05-2011 04:38:01 | More by chiccabeer
oldp0rt

Quebec (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +49.1%

Had this in a can too but prefer it in a bottle. (lime optional)

Appearance is pretty straight forward everyone here refers to it as (piss yellow).

As far as the smell goes it reminds me of the time i hit a skunk with my car.

Taste - Delicious skunk

Once in a while I will have a corona and will enjoy it.

Even though reviews are terrible for this beer, I still rather enjoy it.

03-03-2011 19:07:39 | More by oldp0rt
legatovibrato24

2.38/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a thin, small bodied beer that can only be salvaged by a lime slice or its consumption near a beach or tropical setting.

I don't usually lambaste many beers, however this one is far below average. It has so little flavor that one lime slice can become the star of the show if dunked, flipped and floated in the bottle. Each sip sends the swill sliding south to the bottom of the bottle to bring about a snow white fizzy head that disappears faster than a politician in a game of truth or dare.

All kidding aside, I wish this beer had much more character and taste than it does tradition and name recognition. It seems the only reason Corona is consumed is a result of a marketing campaign that appeals to the modern human desire to at times escape the modern life to a tropical retreat with no cell phones or email.

03-01-2011 02:23:01 | More by legatovibrato24
JayS2629

Alabama

1.23/5  rDev -46.5%

OMG! If you try to swallow this make sure to add lime. It is the only way not to gag. Its got some corn, water, a bit of citrus touch, mineral water, some grainy characteristics and a pound of skunk. It looks like piss, pale yellow with a fizzy white foam that fades fast. It smells close to the same with some nasty skunk, a little rot, and some metallic notes. Terrible. Its a drain pour. The lime barely helps. I don't know what the extra is unless its body. Its thin, fizzy, watery, pale and skunky.

02-27-2011 04:37:08 | More by JayS2629
JohnnyChicago

1.6/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Drank straight from the bottle with a slice of lime at the bottom. This is how thousands of boring-ass commercials have told me to drink it.

A: You all know what this looks like: piss yellow. This is one of the few beers that really fails the appearance test, because of the power of association.

S: Corn, lime and straight up skunk.

T: No better here. Corn, lime and skunky rottenness.

D: Well, the alcohol is covered up, I'll give it that, but the flavours are so nasty its a pain to drink.

Overall: One of the worse adjunct lagers. Most beers in this style are just close to water - boring, but mostly unoffensive. Corona can't even copy that losing formula. Honestly, if they suggest you serve cold with a lime in it, they can't really be confident in the taste. Life is too short to waste it drinking bad beer. Avoid!

02-25-2011 15:06:08 | More by JohnnyChicago
gh02t

2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

I must concede before I start that I rather like Corona for sentimental reasons and buy it a few times a year. That said, from a critical standpoint it isn't very good.

A- Straw (piss?) yellow, bubbly. Comes in it's fairly recognizable clear, long-neck bottle. Since the bottles are clear this stuff is usually skunked if you buy it in a 6 pack. Get a 12'er that comes in an opaque box and it's usually better.

T- eh. Has a light taste with little distinctness. Has a little bit of spice on the front. Consequently, it pairs fairly well with a wide range of foods, particularly spicy ones. Lime improves, but that's cheating.

M- Fizzy, pretty refreshing. Rather nice on a hot day, this one is a thirst quencher.

D- Goes down easy because of it's lightness. Illogically fun to drink.

Overall, as a beer lover I can't say Corona is very good. But, I think fondly of this beer. If I'm in the mood it certainly scratches that itch for something light and crisp. That said, Bohemia is infinitely better if you want something from Mexico.

If you do buy this beer, as I said make sure to get it in a 12 pack. I've never bought a sixer that wasn't skunked.

02-22-2011 18:18:11 | More by gh02t
HockeytownBrew

2.4/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a pale straw yellow. Finger width head that dissipates almost immediately, and little to no lacing left behind to let you know you just drank a beer.

S: Almost non-existant. Very light cereal grains and a very subtle metallic note. Not really looking forward to it.

T: The usual, light cereal grains and light corn, along with the faint metallic taste that was present in the scent. Don't really get why this one is so popular.

M: Light bodied with plenty of carbonation.

D: Simple task would be to throw back a few. Like so many others, the drinkability is one of the only positive factors of this particular brew.

02-21-2011 17:22:48 | More by HockeytownBrew
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.