Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

A - Clear, and a pale straw colour. A few bubbles make up what I guess you could call a head. No lace.

S - Faint whiff of corn.

T - Hello? taste? I can't believe I used drink this stuff. It's my first one for a couple of years, and in that time I discovered craft beer. This stuff is just water.

M - Watery thin, medium carbonation.

O - I'm not sure if I would even call this beer. It's like a glass of water with a dash of corn syrup thrown in. Not gross or anything, but just the most unexciting, flavourless beer I can think of.

3.25/5  rDev +40.7%

1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear golden color body. The white fizzy head disappears entirely leaving only a fizzy ring around the glass with no lacing.

Aroma: Corn or rice adjuncts, slight skunkiness, a sour note on the back end.

Taste: Some graininess up front, followed some corn husk through the body. A slightly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery, carbonated.

Overall: In the realm of Mexican lagers, this one is below average for me.

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Bought a 24 oz of this stuff because, honestly, I am gonna use the bottle for a batch of hard cider that I have fermenting in the basement at the moment. Of course, the reason clear bottles are perfect for cider is that THERES NO DAMN HOPS IN CIDER! Upon opening the bottle, I was immediately struck by the unmistakable smell of skunkiness. That smell is only reinforced by taking the first bitter, bitter swig. Ugh. Look, it's marginally better than Tecate, but way inferior to Dos XX, Modelo, or Negra Modelo. Steer clear.

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.75/5  rDev +62.3%

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

bought a 24 oz. bottle. opening the cap comes out very very little smoke. The bottle is clear so its open to being skunked but this one was not skunked surprisingly. pouring this gives less than a one finger head thats very very thin and dissipates quickly. The head was white before it disappeared entirely. The body has a golden bright color to it with no bubbles existing after the head.

The smell is not as good as I would have hoped (having tried it before and thought I remembered a more robust smell to it, but maybe I drank a different beer then). The smell is of corn and grain. Definitely a smallish-ly prominent smell of corn. The corn shows in the color of the body of course. you kind of have to waft the smell to actually pick anything up.

The taste is not what I remembered last time I drank it. I can definitely taste corn and grain and maybe some malt. I am not drinking it with lime right now so maybe my judgment is impaired.
From what I remember with lime in the beer it tastes pretty nice (like a 4.5 taste). The rule of "no fruit in beer" is invalid here as lime makes this one taste better.

The mouthfeel is okay buts it kind of carbonated. OVERALL its an okay beer by itself. If you want a light corn tasting lager this one is good. One word of advice: drink this beer with a slice of LIME (or lemon) because the taste of the lime makes it a nice beer to drink every once in awhile.

Rating the beer by itself I cannot think of who its catered to other than to the people who drink it with limes. Rule of thumb: don't try it without limes.

and if a beer is not good unless its with fruit, it cannot receive a good rating.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.