Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

I've heard so much bad about this beer, so i thought I'd give it a try, to se what i think about it myself.

A skunky smell hits the nose as i open the bottle.
pouring into a glass, the little head disapears right away.

It really does not give much flavour other than carbonated water and dirty coins.

I guess this beer would go down fairly easy, but i don't want to drink anymore than i have to for this review, because if i wanted carbonated water, i would buy that instead.

NilsFrisk, Mar 11, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

So I have a large group of friends, some are BA's, some are craft beer enthusiasts, some not so much. One such friend of a friend brought a six pack of Corona to my place, and thankfully drank 5 of them, but one was left. I considered using it to cook with, or just pouring it out. Now, I've had my share of Corona's in my younger days when I did not know any better, but I don't touch the stuff anymore.

Anyhow, figured I might as well review the beer since it's in the fridge, as I have no intentions of buying any more of it ever again.

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. The beer pours straw yellow, with a fizzy white head that rose a good two inches, then rapidly faded to nearly nothing.

The beer smells of metal, corn, and skunk (clear bottles, yeah)

Taste, water, corn, dirty pennies, no hops, and liquid skunk. It's cold, and fizzy.

Mouthfeel is sticky, and really carbonated.

Overall, I echo what others already know, this beer sells exceptionally well in the United States, and in a lot of parts of the world, sadly, due to it's tropical apeal ads. I drank this without the lime and in a glass, but the fact they promote the lime, (and to drink from the bottle) so much, you might as well just drink cold sparkling water with a lime in it on a hot day. It would be just as refreshing as the ads claim this beer is, which it was not for me.

Retsinis, Mar 10, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Corona, the king of imports. At least in Joe Public's eyes.

This beer pours without any head, rather a slight white fizz. Pale yellow, completely clear.

Not an entirely horrid aroma. Very grainy and grassy. Reminds you of standing in a wet field.

The flavor could certainly be worse. A rather sweet taste, absolutely no bitterness at all. The adjuncts are well hidden. This has a lot of grainy base malt flavor and is shockingly even-keeled. Almost tempting for me to say it is not bad for this style.

The mouthfeel is a horrid mess. Slimy but completely lacking body. Seltzer water, served flat.

After remembering how disgusting Corona Light is, I figured this would also be terrible. It actually shattered my expectations, and forced me to reconcile my preconceived notions about not just beer, but life. Just kidding. It's not THAT good.

cnally, Mar 09, 2011
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Who hasn't had one of these beers. Definitely the quintessential beer of the beach or vacation. Other than those two instances I would not recommend this beer. Obviously, it is best paired with a slice of lime. Drink this beer as cold a possible, when it gets warm it definitely tastes awful. Cheers.

chiccabeer, Mar 05, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

Had this in a can too but prefer it in a bottle. (lime optional)

Appearance is pretty straight forward everyone here refers to it as (piss yellow).

As far as the smell goes it reminds me of the time i hit a skunk with my car.

Taste - Delicious skunk

Once in a while I will have a corona and will enjoy it.

Even though reviews are terrible for this beer, I still rather enjoy it.

oldp0rt, Mar 03, 2011
2.38/5  rDev +3%

This is a thin, small bodied beer that can only be salvaged by a lime slice or its consumption near a beach or tropical setting.

I don't usually lambaste many beers, however this one is far below average. It has so little flavor that one lime slice can become the star of the show if dunked, flipped and floated in the bottle. Each sip sends the swill sliding south to the bottom of the bottle to bring about a snow white fizzy head that disappears faster than a politician in a game of truth or dare.

All kidding aside, I wish this beer had much more character and taste than it does tradition and name recognition. It seems the only reason Corona is consumed is a result of a marketing campaign that appeals to the modern human desire to at times escape the modern life to a tropical retreat with no cell phones or email.

legatovibrato24, Mar 01, 2011
1.23/5  rDev -46.8%

OMG! If you try to swallow this make sure to add lime. It is the only way not to gag. Its got some corn, water, a bit of citrus touch, mineral water, some grainy characteristics and a pound of skunk. It looks like piss, pale yellow with a fizzy white foam that fades fast. It smells close to the same with some nasty skunk, a little rot, and some metallic notes. Terrible. Its a drain pour. The lime barely helps. I don't know what the extra is unless its body. Its thin, fizzy, watery, pale and skunky.

JayS2629, Feb 27, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Drank straight from the bottle with a slice of lime at the bottom. This is how thousands of boring-ass commercials have told me to drink it.

A: You all know what this looks like: piss yellow. This is one of the few beers that really fails the appearance test, because of the power of association.

S: Corn, lime and straight up skunk.

T: No better here. Corn, lime and skunky rottenness.

D: Well, the alcohol is covered up, I'll give it that, but the flavours are so nasty its a pain to drink.

Overall: One of the worse adjunct lagers. Most beers in this style are just close to water - boring, but mostly unoffensive. Corona can't even copy that losing formula. Honestly, if they suggest you serve cold with a lime in it, they can't really be confident in the taste. Life is too short to waste it drinking bad beer. Avoid!

JohnnyChicago, Feb 25, 2011
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

I must concede before I start that I rather like Corona for sentimental reasons and buy it a few times a year. That said, from a critical standpoint it isn't very good.

A- Straw (piss?) yellow, bubbly. Comes in it's fairly recognizable clear, long-neck bottle. Since the bottles are clear this stuff is usually skunked if you buy it in a 6 pack. Get a 12'er that comes in an opaque box and it's usually better.

T- eh. Has a light taste with little distinctness. Has a little bit of spice on the front. Consequently, it pairs fairly well with a wide range of foods, particularly spicy ones. Lime improves, but that's cheating.

M- Fizzy, pretty refreshing. Rather nice on a hot day, this one is a thirst quencher.

D- Goes down easy because of it's lightness. Illogically fun to drink.

Overall, as a beer lover I can't say Corona is very good. But, I think fondly of this beer. If I'm in the mood it certainly scratches that itch for something light and crisp. That said, Bohemia is infinitely better if you want something from Mexico.

If you do buy this beer, as I said make sure to get it in a 12 pack. I've never bought a sixer that wasn't skunked.

gh02t, Feb 22, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Pours a pale straw yellow. Finger width head that dissipates almost immediately, and little to no lacing left behind to let you know you just drank a beer.

S: Almost non-existant. Very light cereal grains and a very subtle metallic note. Not really looking forward to it.

T: The usual, light cereal grains and light corn, along with the faint metallic taste that was present in the scent. Don't really get why this one is so popular.

M: Light bodied with plenty of carbonation.

D: Simple task would be to throw back a few. Like so many others, the drinkability is one of the only positive factors of this particular brew.

HockeytownBrew, Feb 21, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -42.4%

Can, at a picnic. Appearance is innocuous and decent enough. Aroma? Stale corn. Ugh. Taste? Same stale corn. Mouthfeel is on par for the style.

Simply put, this is just a bad beer...and I don't say that very often. It fails even relative to the other entrants in this bleak style category.

Bad beer. Presented with this, it's no wonder why some people hate beer.

Patrick999, Feb 20, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

Why, why, why...

Don't waste your time.
I am having a difficult time filling the 250 charectar requirement.
Taste is poor.
Color is poor.
The phrase "free beer is the best beer" does not even apply.
This is the party beer of Mexico. Meaning that Americans have popularized manily through advertising. Nothin else.
Pick up a Bohemia, Dos XX Amber or somethin of the such.

hevbus, Feb 20, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Okay, I had to drink it to rate it but...

Appearance: Light yellow color, crystal clear. Pours with a very small head which is gone in two seconds, leaving nothing with which to lace the glass.

Smell: Skunky. Nothing else.

Taste: Metallic and skunky. Oh, my. Adjuncts all the way. Are there any hops in here?

Mouthfeel: Very light, almost no body. Bad aftertaste.

Drinkability: Water is preferable. I can understand why people put a lime in this thing, but why even drink it? Vodka and water with a lime wedge would be better. I poured out half this one, the first drain pour I can remember.

dbaker61, Feb 18, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a light golden straw color with a thick soapy white head and no lacing. Smells of sweet corn and a little grain. Tastes of sweet corn and a little malts and some very nasty flavor. Mouthfeel is watery and it has an intense carbonation. Drinkability is low.

TheKingofWichita, Feb 16, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

24 ounce bottle poured into a wine glass. No lime. Short lasting head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring around the edge. Looks flat under a minute after it's poured. Smells slightly skunky, like raw potatoes. Very subdued raw potato taste as well, but essentially flavorless. Crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. Could use a little more carbonation. Easy to drink on a hot day. Still enjoyable on a cool one. Probably preferable with lime. Definitely a mood beer, or for drinking with Mexican food.

ZenAgnostic, Feb 14, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

As a quick rule of thumb, any beer that requires you to add ingredients after you open it (limes in this case) is pretty horrid. If it had the lime in it from the start I might give it a D-.

If you haven't tried this beer yet, you really aren't missing anything. No head. No lacing. Clear and fizzy. Acrid stale flavor. You drink this to get drunk, period.

SteelerNation, Feb 14, 2011
2.68/5  rDev +16%

A finger of fizzy white head forms for a good three or four seconds, only to completely disappear, leaving the thinnest ring around the glass. Corona pretty much looks like urine with a few bubbles in it.

Smells of grain and rice, yeast, a little cheap malt/sugar and possibly hops (it's hard to tell). Definitely less than average here.

This beer is so light it's difficult to taste anything at all...and this isn't even their light version! I can't even imagine what Corona Light must be like. What is here: faint grain/rice/adjuncts with a touch of characterless sweetness and the faintest trace of bitterness (I can't bring myself to call it hops). Something it does have going for it, I suppose, is that I'm not really tasting any off flavours. I am being easy on it though and drinking it thoroughly chilled; drinking this stuff any warmer than two or three degrees C would be insanity. Still, under average here as well.

The body is so light as to feel empty. Carbonation, while moderate, feels overly-fizzy in the mouth.

I'm thinking the proper way to review a Corona is actually ice cold straight out of the bottle with a lime wedge stuffed down the neck; I'm feeling like an idiot sitting here drinking it from a glass. Who would do this? No one, that's who. Corona serves its purpose in mass quantities sitting in an ice bucket at the beach along with a good stash of limes. Reviewed as a beer, sure, it sucks. As a beverage though, Corona does serve as a great cold lime flavour delivery system. Drinkability ice cold on a hot day, straight from the bottle with a lime wedge: high.

eat, Feb 11, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Well, I don't make a habit of reviewing these types of beers, but what the heck. I found this left in my fridge after a big night.

A - Pours an attractive straw colour with a small white head that dies almost instantly.

S - Small amounts of grain and not much else.

T - Small amounts of grain and not much else.

M - Light and over carbonated.

D - There logo is "From where you'd rather be". And they are spot on. I'd rather be somewhere else drinking a different beer.

eric5bellies, Feb 11, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +62.3%

Folks, this is not one of those beers that you want one of.. You just gotta have many of these at a time. For quantity, this beer is best at a party but maybe not for the price. Price is a little bit more than other light beers aka "party" beers . Corona extra is the perfect party beer though just because how many of these you can drink after you hit that 20+ beers, i usually get sick of drinking light beers but not this 1 my friend, NO WAY!. Not too much of a smell though. But the drinkability is out of this world. The appearance of this beer is pretty dull. But the bottle looks cool and tastes great so im going to start buying this more when i want to drink in the 20+ range!!!party on!

tlamb9, Feb 09, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

Not going to go deep into reviewing this one, but tried it recently after getting into serious craft beer. Light beer used to be my thing, but now I like big ,dark beer. This was still surprisingly refreshing for me. Light,crisp, put a lime in it and enjoy!!

BenjieK, Feb 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +82.7%

Personally this beer is one one of my favorites to drink! It's smooth and easy to drink. Goes good with a lime! It's a good beer to have anytime,especially at a party! Seems most people are critics towards this beer due to it's lightness in taste! But I find it as a favorite! Cheers!

Lakers805, Feb 03, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +99.1%

I do enjoy this beer.Its something you wont scream WOW about but I keep it on hand.Just like on the commercial you can drink this on a hot day,relax,and have several without falling down drunk out of your chair.It does have a almost light beer taste to it.You can not drink a stronger European ale then come back to this...

emancomeith, Feb 02, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Found this in a 24oz can at the local liquor store and decided that since it wan't in the typical clear glass bottle where the beer could get skunky, I decided to give it a try.

Poured into a tumbler style pint glass. I poured it rather vigorously right down the middle, but it barely foamed up with any head at all. Not a good sign at all...

Appearance: Pale straw color with very little head and lackluster carbonation.

Smell: Very strong scent of pale malts followed immediately by a corn adjunct smell. Some hints of like a cooked veggie smell, followed by the hops.

Taste: First thing I taste is this sweet pale malt flavor followed immediately by this sour back-flavor and bitter hops at the finish. Taste is very similar to stale bread. Sour flavor remains even after the beer was finished.

Mouthfeel: Slightly crisp from the carbonation, which was surprising for how little there was. There was also a sensation that almost "bites" the tongue when you first taste it mixed with the crisp feel...

alabencki, Feb 01, 2011

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. This stuff is as bad as it gets for me.

pumptrick, Jan 28, 2011
3.18/5  rDev +37.7%

People love to hate this beer,
And I know there are better beers out there for less money.
With that being said, I still enjoy Corona.

Nothing exceptional about it, but served ice cold with a twist a lime after a hot day on the beach, I find Corona to be refreshing and enjoyable.

JohnFatAss, Jan 27, 2011
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.