Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

No need for a long winded explanation, it looks bad, smells and tastes horrendous, and gives me a headache every time I drink it. Knowing this I bought another six pack to rate. Yep, still awful. Pity the person who forgets to buy a lime to kill the flavor.

kcr357, Jul 17, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +51.5%

A : Pale yellow color, lots of carbonation coming from it. No head at all. Wasn't made at all to go into a glass.
S : Nothing really stands out. Come corn smell, there is also a skunk smell beginning here. Clear bottles doesn't help!
T : Regular, nothing particular. Light beer = light taste. Same thing for this one.
M : Really high carbonation. Enjoyable, really refreshing also in the summer outside.
D : Light beer, so I could drink a lot of these over a session. This would make an excellent session beer in the summer only. I never buy Corona in the winter, there is no reason doing so!

rowey77, Jul 14, 2010
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Paler even than many american macros.
S- The smell is of corn, cooked veggies, and a bit of skunk.
T- The taste is of corn, with a bit of skunkiness to it. some cooked veggie underneath. no hop presence.
M- medium bodied, for an adjunct. Reasonable carbonation for the style.
D- The limes make this beer possible. there are better mexican beers out there.

jsprain1, Jul 04, 2010

pours exactly what you see from the bottle.. typical golden piss color with little to no head.. carbonation is visible..

aroma: right off the bat you get the skunkiness... pretty awful.. mild grain... lots of adjuncts.. altogether its really just a sweet skunkiness..

taste: cooked corn, mild sweetness.. grainy.. more skunkiness.. almost no hop presence.. not gonna lie its pretty watery.. finishes crisp but little to no flavor..

mf is light to medium... decent amount of carbonation but this isn't enough to make this an above average brew..

for me its not something i dont want to drink.. even when it comes to macros.. there's a lot more macros i'd easily pick than Corona..

cheers!!

aval89, Jun 29, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

You don't have to buy Corona to know what it looks like - it looks no different in a clear glass than it does in the clear bottle. In fact, you don't even have to see a Corona to know what it looks like; this clear, shimmering golden liquid is exactly how most people envision beer. Rather unbecoming of its name, however, there is no "crown" atop.

The aroma, unlike a lot of macro lagers, is distinctive - that, unfortunately, is meant in the worst possible way. Corona may smell less agreeable than any other beer on the market (and you have the clear bottles to largely thank for that). Lord knows how much light exposure this bottle saw, but it's easy to tell how much damage the UV rays did.

The sad thing is that years of repeat consumption, unwillingness to try new (notably craft) beers and much stubbornness on the behalf of marketers, many people assume this skunky, corn syrupy smell to be inherent to beer, and many have come to actually find it appealing(!). But I assure you it results from clear bottles and bad ingredients.

A hurried brew process and cheap industrial fillers play a role in it too; their effects, however, are most noted in the taste. An artificial, stinging carbonation, a flat, insipid flavour, a cloyingly sweet, syrupy finish - these are the telling signs of a mass, industrially produced lager (and a poor one at that). Luckily, this doesn't have a very strong taste...

Corona is - certainly not a clean, refreshing beer - but a relatively toneless and acceptable one. Its high level of insipidness largely hides the corn syrup (although not entirely) and the pathetically minuscule amount of malt is far too faint to be hardly perceptible. I would take a watery, tasteless beer over a foul and offensive one any day.

As with anything that is consumed, the beer that a person drinks has become a symbol of self-definition. Sadly, most people are easily swayed by marketing and, if nothing else, Corona is the ultimate testament to the power of advertising - there is perhaps no other beer that owes the entirety of its identity and success to it.

Years gone by, billions of dollars spent, Corona has become immersed in idyllic images of pristine beaches, sunny settings and vacation lifestyles. This is the deceit of advertising and nothing more; there is nothing about the beer itself that accounts for these associations. It is as lifeless, insipid and ordinary as any other mass-produced lager.

biegaman, Jun 28, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Ah the perennial favourite for many on a very hot summer day! I am referring of course to the mildly alcoholic lemonade called Corona.

Here in Singapore the weather is always hot, so there is always a demand for light, unassuming macros. Even our very own Tiger Beer is seen by many Singaporeans as being too 'bitter'. So, enter Corona!

I have had numerous opportunities to drink this beer, and I would not hesitate to order it many more times in the future, but having said that, let me say this beer is like that crazy girl we had at some point in our lives. You hate everything about her but when nothing better is available you'll call her.

A: In a clear bottle, no head to speak of, but the lime on top gives it a cool look. I know I am being generous with the rating here but I can't, with a clean conscience fail this beer in every aspect. It's bad, but not THAT bad (well maybe it is, but I like the way it looks).

S: Again, the lime pretty much overpowers any hint of any smell you could have had from this watered-down water but I did detect some grain, corn and other adjuncts.

T: The guys at Corona hit a masterstroke with the idea of sticking a lime in that thing because that pretty much is what makes this beer taste so good, but remove the lemon and try drinking this, and it's like a bartender squeezed his rag into a bottle and served it to you.

M: Mouthfeel? Apart from lime there was pretty much nothing else. It felt like drinking bread mixed with lemonade.

D: Now remember, Singapore is perpetually hot throughout the year, and there are days when this beer actually works, and quenches that parched feeling, hence I upped the rating for this part.

Overall: Who knew that a wedge of lime would make such a big difference? Without the lime this beer would not even be worth rating, but add the lime and a blazing hot day, it becomes somewhat drinkable. So here's to citrus!

bala747, Jun 26, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer is extremely pale and pours with an extremely thin white head that disappears in minutes.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer. If you add a piece of lime, you will get a citrus smell.

One taste of this beer will tell you why the Mexicans send it north at an inflated price. It is not worth drinking.

If watery is a mouth feel then this beer is near the top of the list.

You can drink quite a few Corona since there is nothing (i.e. taste, mouth feel, etc.) getting in the way of slamming multiple beers.

I highly recommend the chunk of line that most bars add to this beer. It is the only flavor there is to the watery mess they try to pass off as beer.

pb9613, Jun 25, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +64.5%

This beer (poured from a 12oz. bottle) has a rather thin white head, but a very bubbly, golden appearance (weird). Aroma is faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is very light, but I can't say I don't like it. Naturally, I suppose Corona Extra is just brewed to have a lime squeezed into it and to be eaten with salty chips. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and refreshing. The taste is very subdued for sure, and I noticed a soapy under-taste, but all-in-all, I like it. Why do people hate this? I'd strongly recommend buying this in the can, as the clear bottle can allow for spoilage. Happily, the one I drank today was not skunked. Try it (although, most beer drinkers probably already have).

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jun 24, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

I poured from a 24oz bottle into a chilled glass.
The beer had no head and was bright yellow.
The beer smelled skunky.
It tasted crisp, refreshing, but also... skunky. It was overcarbonated, should've drank it with a lime.
Not very good overall.

JMad, Jun 11, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +19%

Just had one of these for the first time. Didn't expect much from it, but it was better than expected. (That may have been improved by the addition of a lime wedge.) I usually don't have much of an appreciation for thin beers like this, but at a friends house on a nice summer day, I would definitely drink one.

gkunkle, Jun 11, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -10%

Apperance: straw yellow with a minimal head. No retention whatsoever.
Smell: cookd corn. Some malt. Heavy dose of skunkiness.
Taste: sharp metalic twang that becomes more pronounced as it warms. Minimal citrus taste from the hops.
Mouthfeel. Very crisp. Very dry. Meh not bad most redeeming quality of this brew.
Drinkability.: must admit I do have them at parties and bbqs. I would never buy themfor myself though.

digitalbullet, Jun 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +53.7%

A- This beer is pretty average, nothing really thrilling about its appearance.

S- Not a fan on the smell of this beer, it has a strange dirty scent.

T- Coronas are very tasty tho, especially with lime.

M- This beer also has a good mouthfeel, nothing too crazy.

D- This beer is very drinkable, I can easily demolish a 6 pack, and its essential for summer days near the pool. This beer is a good beer just to relax and chill out, you don't really need to have it with food however it goes with most meals.

dag06001, Jun 03, 2010
Photo of

I am older (58) and my taste for heavier beers has diminished. I am sensitive to acidy so I don't go for brews with a citrus flavor. I almost always eat when I drink, so I don't want a beer that overpowers my food. I am sensitive to brewing processes and some preservatives so I
don't want a beer that makes me feel like crap or makes me pee 3 beers for every one I drink.
I tend to drink beer at room temperature.

I love Corona. It's not too heavy or filling.
It doesn't overpower the food I am eating. I
don't overpee when I drink it or suffer any
ill effects. It goes down easy with a mild bitter after taste. It seems a little less carbonated then most beers.

It's not at the top of my list, but it's my pick
for a very drinkable everyday beer. If you agree with this review, you will also probably like Lionshead.

, Jun 02, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +3%

So I wanted to review this beer cause it's a hot day in late May in North East Ohio, and I decided to drink a few Coronas on the pourch, and of course with a lime in it.

A- Not impressed at all, it is what I like to call see trough golden yellow, with very little going on, no bubbles in till you add a lime, and it has about an eight inch pearl white head.

S- Other then a slight hint of skunkiness, there is really no smell to it.

T- It is not bad as long as you have s lime, I think you should get a free lime with every six pack you buy, cause I would not drink this beer with out one, but once you drop your lime in it, it is very refreshing especially on a hot summer day, there is a slight skunky after taste, with of course a hint of lime as you would guess, but that's only if you have a lime a available, if you don't, don't waste your time with this beer.

MF- Nothing special or anything to brag about, very light hardly any carbonation.

D- I could drink quite a few of these but only if i'm in the mood for it, and I have a lime to drop in to give this known skunky beer any flavor.

Kaiser777, May 27, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Yeah, I had to rate at least one beer I can't stand.
Honestly, I don't know how people can drink this stuff. Must be crazy from the heat. No, that's not it, cuz they drink it here in MN as well. In the Winter. Yikes.

Review must be over 250 characters and less than 5,000. Apparently we shouldn't be snobs, but shouldn't not be snobs, either.

wildvikes, May 26, 2010

A: Pours a clear, medium yellow-gold color. The white head is average sized, with a thin, airy texture and rather weak retention. Only the faintest lace is left on the inside of the glass.

S: Bland grainy huskiness, with a sourish twang. Notes of corn and a mild, nondescript leafy hop note.

T: A bland, sour grain husk flavor up front. Almost no sweetness. Notes of corn and metal, with a minor flash of herbal/leafy hop flavor.

M: Medium bodied. Carbonation is average, lending decent crispness to an otherwise watery beer. Rather dry into the finish.

D: While not awful, this is certainly not good beer by any stretch of the imagination. Marginally refreshing, but generally a somewhat rough, middling Mexican macro.

Clydesdale, May 24, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

A: Light color, exactly as it looks in the bottle, not much head to be had.

S: Not much to the smell, skunky or light stricken if anything, can't really make out any malt or hops.

T: This is tricky because without the lime, it's terrible, poison in fact. With the lime however, it's very good, which probably doesn't really speak for it's beer quality.

M: Carbonated, easy to drink, average body.

O: High scores here if you are drinking this on a hot day with some limes. It's a good beach or poolside beer on those hot days, easy to drink as water.

This for me is only a hot weather beer, and for the cost, I'd rather go with something like Sam Adams Summer Ale or Blue Moon on those hot days.

bundy462, May 23, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A white foamy one finger head that has poor retention, typical for this style. The color of the beer is a straw color with yellow hues. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant. There is some effervescence in the beer.

Nose: There is a strong skunked aroma from the beer at the first whiff. There are notes of malt and yeast. There is are note of floral and pine.

Taste: The initial light struck flavor emits from the beer, giving off a skunked flavor. There are notes of yeast, malt, floral and and corn.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, and slightly dry.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is a little more than light. This beer isn't very good.

colts9016, May 20, 2010
2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

I never knew corona came in 24 oz cans, so went I went to 711 and saw them I had to buy one.

I filled my pilsner glass with the beer. This beer has literally no head. The smell is almost non existent. And the beer tastes like corn and grain. I can't taste any hops at all. It leaves an aftertaste of burnt corn in the mouth. the mouthfeel is creamy at first but quickly turn to feeling like soda water. This beer isn't hard to drink. It goes down easy, but why bother with it if it does not taste good?

Overall I would not recommend this beer. It does not taste good. It is decent with a lime in it, but what good is a beer if you need to add fruit to make it drinkable???

eschbach, May 19, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Corona Extra in the clear bottle pours a clear carbonated yellow with a little clingy froth.

the smell is of sour grains, sweet malt.

taste is sour with some watery pilsner like malts behind it. sweet, almost corny in it's grainyness.

mouthfeel light, pretty bad. left a horrible taste in my mouth.

this was probably skunked. i poured it out after a few sips. so it goes.

vdread, May 14, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

Last bottle in the back of the fridge.

a - Very pale, clear yellow with some visible carbonation. Thin, dishwater-esque head. Not much to distinguish it from other, mass produced lagers.

s - Hard to discern any malts, hops, or fruits standing out. Mostly just that bland, alcohol smell.

t - Much like the smell, nothing really stands out. Pretty flat and watered down, any flavor fades fast after swallowing.

m - Very thin body with a good deal of carbonation.

d - Despite all those aforementioned defects, eh, its pretty drinkable. It is pretty similar to water and therefore pretty refreshing. If its available, its easy to drink.

wesclaypool, May 10, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Very light, straw color with no head or lacing. However, there is a steady stream of carbonation.

Smell: Smells of alcohol, wet grass, and faint hops.

Taste: No malt and slight hops.

Mouthfeel: Thin.

Drinkability: Potable, but nothing to it. No depth.

cudmud, May 09, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +40.7%

Day 5 in Mexico. Split this 940 ml with a work partner of mine who only drinks Corona Extra.

A: Pours a bit darker than Corona , strill very lttle head and hardly any lacing.

S: Little more corn than the Extra other than that very little difference.

T: Sadly very little taste fron Extra,Maybe a bit less carbonation.

M: Medium body with a light floral end.

D: Would drink this more than the Extra Just becuse of the higher ABV %

nukem5, May 08, 2010
2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

I get scared when beers have this sickly pale yellow color...bubbles are healthy and the head is snow-white but doesn't stay thick much longer after the pour is completed.

Corn and DMS pervade in the aroma. Some powdered sugar too.

Flavor is steamed veggies, soggy grains, corn and a light fruit kiss from the hops; mild sourness that isn't all that appealing.

Crisp-ish, with only moderate carbonation, and a remarkably thin body. Dry enough that you don't have to worry about the flavor hanging around too long, but nothing offensive enough to warrant a drain pour. Whether you want the extra calories without any kind of flavor payoff is another question entirely. I don't, so I poured the other half down the sink. I got the idea well enough to know I don't care much about this beer one way or another. Think it's time for a Green Flash West Coast IPA...

Metalmonk, May 03, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: light clear gold, poured thin, fairly light head dissipates quickly.
Smell: Spicy barely hops, sadly no malt to speak of...skunky; I find out now that's normal for Corona...oy.
Taste: light spice, fairly pleasant, not nearly as hoppy as I was expecting based on the smell. Not a whole lot going on with this brew, fairly one dimensional with some light bitterness at the finish. Some very mild after-taste but nothing abusive or annoying.
Mouthfeel: thin, medium carbonation, leaves the mouth dry.
Drinkability: I now know why this is a session beer for so many, its light and drinkable with little to no alcohol taste or burn.
Still not sure why people put a lime in it though.

ATSJer, May 01, 2010
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.