Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

79th Review
Bottle (with lime) to hatch

Enjoyed at Tequila Tex Mex with some wonderful tapas on Christmas Eve while visiting London.

A: Bright sunny yellow - makes we want to lay on a beach and drink this...great marketing Grupo Modelo. Not sure on head as it went straight down the pipe.

S: I did not smell it before I put the lime in because drinking it without just isn't PC, although IMO drinking this period is not PC unless it is the only beer at a Tex Mex joint in London on Christmas Eve. I digress...corn, sauteed veg aroma, and hint of fresh crushed grain.

T: Sweet corn and lime. Not too much here - just drinks like a hot summer day. It is a lager. Period.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

O: Drink and "enjoy" it for what it is, but this beer is not for a matured and developed palate unless you are trying to cool off from a hot summer day, laying on a beach, or trying to wash down some tasty tapas on Christmas Eve at a Tex Mex joint in London.

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Good thing this was a $2 bottle special, because there's little chance I'd drink it otherwise. Basically, this is bud light....with less flavor. Without a lime, it's probably better, because with one, it's just watery beer with a hint of lime.

Looks like a pale lemonade. All yellow and clear as they come. Smell and taste are somewhat skunky, and all rice and corn grains. On the palate, its only good quality is that you could probably drink 100 and not feel like you've had many.

3.5/5  rDev +51.5%

2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A- Light straw color, very small head that goes away quickly.

S- Not much, corn and some other grainy smells.

T- Watery, hints of corn and some other grains.

M- Good carbonation and goes down all right.

O-Overall not the worst beer of its kind but there are better. It is popular because of its marketing campaign, not its taste. If you like beers like this stick to its higher end companion Modelo.

1.13/5  rDev -51.1%

After being coaxed by family to have another one of these, I decided I had no choice but to grab some lime slices (not just one, but several), put this in the freezer, and serve into a frosted pilsener glass; I've come to the conclusion that, in this state, it's palatable, but not good. My review still stands, because no beer by design should require the addition of lime (or any fruit) to make it drinkable.

---

I'm giving this bad boy (emphasis on bad) a re-review, because A) I kind of wonder if this really IS as terrible as I keep saying it is, and B) I want to save my Troegenator Doublebock (that I originally planned on having) for a better night where I'm not in such a sour mood. Poured into a frosted beer mug, and served ice cold.

A: Pours a crystal-clear, straw colored body (yes, it looks like urine), along with a laughable head that fades away into nothing. There actually is a little lacing, though.

S: Smells like pure DMS (that's dimethyl sulfides to you and me). You know that sulfury, cooked vegetable aroma? That's it. And it's kinda strong too. On the plus side, skunk is low (the fact that the skunk is low - rather than nonexistent - is the best thing about the beer's smell tells you everything).

T: Oh yeah, this is as bad as I remember. No, wait - it's worse! The sulfur and cooked corn on the nose comes out swinging even harder in the mouth, and the skunk increases five fold. The front is rancid malt, and the aftertaste is horrid. To date, this is the only beer I've ever contemplated drain pouring - and in the correct context, I would do it without hesitation, too.

M: The one semi-good thing about this beer. Carbonation is high, borderline too high, but not quite oppressive. If it didn't have such a shitty flavor and slimy aftertaste, it would go down super easy.

O: I can't think of anything this beer does right. It honest-to-God makes BMC look brilliant. All I'm gonna say is, I could have had a Troegenator Doublebock instead, and I'm angry that I didn't listen to common sense. On the plus side, cathartic reviews like this do wonders for the soul.

PS: For the good of beerdom, just drink water instead. If you want a buzz, get some cheap whiskey, or if you absolutely MUST have a beer, some Miller High Life. In fact, I surmise a punch in the face would be more satisfying than Corona.

4.5/5  rDev +94.8%

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.