Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
jayrod20

2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Yea look it's your average beer, with mexican theme, and a lime. woo. I guess the only thing to say is that this beer is easily located with friends who dont explore their beverage tastes houses, but when given the choice of Corona and anything else they have, I'll take it.

05-06-2008 03:15:30 | More by jayrod20
rye726

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Yellow color with a tan head. Looks better in bottle. Smel is of sour malts and bad hops. Taste is of dried malts. Needs a lime to add to flavor. Feel is light and some what refeshing. This is decent to drink when you can't taste anything because it is so hot outside. Mexico makes much better tequilas than beers.

05-05-2008 05:17:08 | More by rye726
LouieF

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: I drank this from a bottle but from what I gathered it was a very clear yellow straw color.

Smell: From a bottle as hard as I tried I could get anything out of this.

Taste: Slightly metallic, I was surprised to find that it hadn't yet skunked but that may be because it was sitting in a friend's trunk all day and we were drinking it at night. Other than the metallic taste, I could find anything at all really.

Mouthfeel: Very watery with average carbonation.

Drinkability: Yes, this beer is drinkable but as someone else said, its drinkable in the same sense that water is drinkable. That being said, I opted not to finish my bottle.

04-25-2008 15:50:43 | More by LouieF
Offa

1.45/5  rDev -37.2%

This is dreadful. It's watery, exceedingly bland, and has on old, dirty water taste with the merest hints of apple and rice. There really is little else. It's gold with almost no head at all, the aroma, feel, and taste are as I mentioned above. It's not really nasty, but it is slightly less enjoyable than merely being bland. At least Pacifico is clean and inoffensive, but this is just slightly unpleasant.

04-23-2008 16:36:11 | More by Offa
travloh

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

poured from bottle to sam adams beer glass at 46 degrees.

I have tasted this stuff many times but never tried to describe the flavor and experience of drinking it...here goes

I am amazed at how clear this beer is. Pale, light yellow. Even after aggressive pour the alka seltzer head is gone fast. The bottle and glass is 2 1/2 feet from me and I smell it. Lots of carbonation, but it dwindles fast.

I have always in the past drank this from a bottle, hence missing a lot of the smells...probably a good thing. The smell is sour skunky. Smells like wet tile.

The first sip reveals some surprise. First, it tastes very different coming from a glass. Second, the taste is not horrible. Its weak and corny, but it is gone fast and leaves nothing on the tongue. I get the essence of silage(cattle feed). That sounds worse than it is.

The mouth is crisp. Very light and loose. Spritzer water.

I would be a damn hypocrite if I said it did not have at least a decent drinkability factor. I have put a lot of these away in recent years.

This is an american macro that uses the tagline of being mexican, hoping you will get visions of beaches, bikinis, and vacations down south. To be honest, on a hot beach or on any vacation I could drink these over and over.

A lot of people drink this with a lime wedge, but I have always thought it was trend that lended to the "tropical" feel of this brand. Then again maybe the acid from the citrus cuts some of the undesirable tastes, or at least dulls them. If I review with a lime and it is different, I will edit.

04-18-2008 12:07:18 | More by travloh
Rayek

Colorado

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I had this at a work function. I tried to approach it with an open mind. But it's just terrible.

A: Pale yellow. Almost clear. Starts out with a decent sized soapy white head. But it disappears to almost nothing within a minute or two. After a few more, you basically have yellow water. Small amount of carbonation has tiny bubbles.

S: Sweet. Mostly corn with a hint of apple. Slightly metallic. Inoffensive at best.

T: This beer has almost no flavor. What little there is comes across sweet and somewhat metallic, with a little plywood (plywood?) thrown in for added complexity. The most discernible flavors for me were sweetcorn mixed with a touch of apple. Bitterness is almost nonexistent, but there must be some hops in there somewhere. Finishes relatively clean. Plywood and metal tastes linger for a bit. My beer came out of a can (probably part of the reason for the metallic flavors), so the all too common Corona skunk wasn't there, thank goodness.

M: Probably the best part of the beer. Light, but a little syrupy. Carbonation level is good.

D: I really tried to be fair with this beer. I guess it serves its job as a summer thirst quencher. Best served ice cold to mask the beer's generally unpleasant and uninteresting flavor. I wouldn't buy this on purpose ever.

04-12-2008 03:47:24 | More by Rayek
woodychandler

Corona comes in a CAN!?! Who knew? Not me, until recently.

The pour created a bone-white head that was reducing even as I was pouring. The NE-plus quality clarity in this pale-yellow beer was startling. They must have filtered the living Hades out of this beer before packaging it. The nose was light, a little on the sweet side, but not offensive. Mouthfeel was thin with a sweet, honey-like lager taste on the tongue. Finish had a mild sweetness, but nothing really jumped out. I can see why so many people add citrus fruit to this - it is pretty flavorless. Certainly, I've had better, but I've also had worse. Much worse. I can't really see returning to it, though. Maybe on draft or in bottle, just as a try anything once scenario, but no more cans of Corona Extra for the Woodman.

04-05-2008 22:57:34 | More by woodychandler
BeerZack

2.75/5  rDev +19%

Clear straw color with small ring of white head.

Sweet light malt and some fruit and yeastiness along with the carbonic stench.

Crisp, aggressive carbonation, but doesn't sting the tongue too much. Medium bodied feel for macro lager.

This must be a pretty fresh sample as there is no skunk or cruddy off-al-ness which I usually associate with the name. Actually, there is not much flavor here at all, good or bad. The sweetness from the nose seems even to be lacking in the taste. Pretty much a generic light "beer" flavor with some metallic notes.

Pretty drinkable for what its worth, whatever that means. Still not gonna buy it.

04-03-2008 06:43:24 | More by BeerZack
Mora2000

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Not much can be said about Corona that hasn't been said before. The beer looks about like piss and I imagine piss would taste better. There just isn't much of anything to the beer. No smell. No flavor. If you put enough limes into the beer you can get it to be almost drinkable.

03-21-2008 02:07:38 | More by Mora2000
foles

Australia

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%

I knew the reputation of Corona amongst real beer drinkers was pretty poor - as proven by other reviews. A lot of people drink it to look cool, with a lemon in it (not a good look).

I had to opportunity to try it so I took it. Expecting the worst I actually found it drinkable. The taste was reasonably fresh, with a sparkling element that gives a "slight" sweetness in the finish. But overall the beer is quite dry, one dimensional, and it tastes like poor man's beer ingredients (i.e corn) have been used

03-19-2008 13:38:13 | More by foles
Vansmack

I just have to say 1 thing... if you have to put a lime in your beer... then you should be wearing women's underwear!

This beer should only be served if you are eating at a mexican restaurant and you just ate a bean burrito filled with jalapeno's and hot sauce. Or, if you are doing an hour of power and want to get wasted.

This beer is not a beer to enjoy with friends and family.

And I can't believe how high they price this garbage.

Thanks Corona for nothing.

03-14-2008 20:44:29 | More by Vansmack
daledeee

Iowa

1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Another Mexican restuarant offering. I must always try to stop them. They try to stick a lime in my beer. I don't like that.

This comes in the clear bottle which almost guarantees skunk.

This pours rather flat looking with strong skunk. Taste is grainy and a hair malty. The skunk tastes too. Mouthfeel is overcarbonated. Drinkability suffers due to the skunk. I know we are not supposed to review skunk beer, but you think these people would figure it out. Everyone I have ever drank is the same and it does not appeal to me.

03-02-2008 23:11:56 | More by daledeee
bassmantin

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

Drank out of the bottle, but the appearance was quite apparent due to the super-skunkifying clear bottle. Very transparent yellow piss color.

I've always been a bit partial to this beer. The flavor isn't anything phenomenal, a touch of malty sweetness, but it's very refreshing. A good beach beer (not that I ever go to the beach).

Overall: I would drink this beer as my standard low-quality beer if (i) it wasn't so expensive and (ii) it didn't make me look like a douchebag.

03-01-2008 04:08:25 | More by bassmantin
Darien

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

A-No head no lacing but crystal clear with a light straw color.

S-Smells kinda skunky

T-Tastes like it smells...skunky, I cant really taste anything over it.

M-As watery as a light beer.

D-If you can get by the taste it actually goes down smooth, but thats probably because it's so watery.

02-29-2008 14:40:13 | More by Darien
Hoagie1973

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

The only reason I don't give this beer an F is because it doesn't actually taste bad... in fact it doesn't really taste at all. The fact that they make a "light" version is laughable. The only time you get any flavor is when it's skunked (and that's far more often than not).
Where do they get off charging this kind of money for something that has no substance and is always light damaged?
The perfect beer for people who don't really enjoy the taste of beer.
P.S. Jamming a lime wedge into it doesn't exactly make you look macho.

02-24-2008 05:58:05 | More by Hoagie1973
AshevilleSippin

1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Short Version:
Bad beer. Really bad in a glass with no lime. Great thirst quencher on a boat or on the beach.

Details:
It really saddens me to sit and rate a Corona in a glass like it's a regular beer. We all know better... and yet I proceed with this spectacle.

Rating it in a chair in my living room, in a pint glass with no lime nonetheless, is somehow a horribly sacreligous mockey that strips it bare of the nostalgic sun-beach-boat tripod that hold this beer up so unnaturally high.

I practically poured it from the roof of my house into an upright glass and wasn't able to get more than a nanometer of head out of it. Which lasted all of 10 seconds.

Color is light straw and crystal clear. Despite a pseudo-brisk carbonation there isn't a speck of foam anywhere. Not even a really small speck. I've never seen a beer so divoid of foam.

On the nose I get Karo syrup, macro-stench, and some kind of steer feed.

On the palate there is watery carbonated sweetness that I can't place. I don't think a hop truck even drove past this brewery on its way somewhere else.

Utterly divoid of flavor/body beyond the syrupy grainy sweetness.

Finish is ultra flat and quick. Sweet again. Not even dry. Just H20.

Again, this is not really beer. This is a thirst quencher. Much like Gatorade (or G2 actually. Gatorade Lite). It's meant for days that are above 80 degF and sunny. Usually with a body of water in sight and/or a hot plate of cat meat and veggies on a corn tortilla. With Gatorade you are quenching your thirst from exercising in the sun. With Corona you are quenching your thirst from drinking other Corona's in the sun. It's like a sport.

For the sake of Beer Rating I have to royally tank this beer. But I'll still probably buy 12 cases of it this year to enjoy at the beach and on the boat. Only from a bottle and only with a lime wedge. Really, there's not much better. I rank it right up there with sitting down with good friends at a brew pub and sipping ultra fresh and lacey pints of real beer.

Big fan of Corona for what it is. Big fan.

02-22-2008 05:14:44 | More by AshevilleSippin
donteatpoop

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

I find the scent, taste, and palate of corona completely unappealing. If I drink more than one I find myself suffering from a headache. The color is a pale yellow that isn't entirely unpleasant; probably the highlight of my review in fact.

I've gotten into arguments with friends who have sworn to me that this is one of the best beers ever. Some of them tell me that I'm not drinking it right if I don't add the lemon or lime; and on occasion I have humored them and added said citrus (after first making it clear that the beer should be able to stand on its own without the addition of fruits). In either case my opinion remains the same. Corona is unfit to be bottled. I apologize for the graphicness that is about to spew from my keyboard, but I swear that the recipe of Corona is: drink tequila, then urinate into a bottle and let chill.

02-22-2008 02:29:23 | More by donteatpoop
BeerTaster

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearence pale straw color almost no head. Smell corn almost no hops hint of grain. Taste same as smell no aftertaste, thin body, high carbonation. Drinkability not to good I see why they put lime in this one that would be the best part of this beer.

02-14-2008 21:00:12 | More by BeerTaster
woemad

Washington

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle obtained at a price fair for this beer - nada. No freshness date.

Pours a clear straw color with an inch of white foam that vanished at high speed

Vaguely grassy, corny nose, not as skunky as I expected, but that's about all to report. If I could describe any beer as having a generic macro beer smell, this would be it.

Corn flavored water. It's flavor could best be described as "relentlessly bland."

Watery mouthfeel - big shock.

Goes down easy, but that's the main goal where this is spawned. For the love of God, don't even think about trying this any warmer than ice-cold. If I'd paid for this, I'd be much more pissed off. Drink this in Mexico when you've already seen the local source for fresh water and actually saw someone or something crapping in it. Otherwise, avoid.

02-12-2008 08:06:54 | More by woemad
avalon07

South Carolina

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Lesson learned on this: When someone offers you a free beer, you don't always have to take it.

Has a very clear light golden color with almost no body or consistency. Totally translucent. No real head to speak of.

The smell was atrocious. Almost smelled like someone's ripe feet. Probably skunked.

No real discernable taste. Maybe a little malt, but hardly any to speak of. It's closer to water than anything else.

Very little carbonation, so there wasn't much of a mouthfeel.

Decidedly, an undrinkable beer. It's mystifying why this is such a popular drink.

02-10-2008 20:35:12 | More by avalon07
Gehrig

1.55/5  rDev -32.9%

I made the mistake of taking a friend up on his offer to have a couple of these left in the fridge after a house party. I remember this being a particular favorite of people in my old neck of the woods, who frequently enjoyed this on warm summer days by the lake. I hadn't had one in some time, and could always have taken or left Corona, but figured I'd give it another shot. I wish I hadn't.

Thin white foam tops a clear, faintly golden body. The look is its best feature, and at that isn't so good, boding ill. The smell contains mild sweetness and is faintly skunky. The clear bottle cannot help matters. It tastes watery, with vapors of sweetness occasionally bubbling to the tongue. No discernible malt. Putrid.

This flattens fast, unsurprisingly, rendering it almost undrinkable. Unless you enjoy bottled cat sick, don't buy this. The worst thing of all is that it costs a decent buck, and for what? Garbage.

02-10-2008 15:37:54 | More by Gehrig
illidurit

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Someone brought like 40 Coronas to my Super Bowl party and they're still in my fridge. It's been something like 3 years since I tasted the stuff so I decided to break one out for the hell of it.

Appearance is a sickly pale gold with a very fizzy white head. The carbonation isn't quite cola-like but it's close. The suds disappears in seconds and leaves nothing on the glass.

Smell is pretty bleak, with faint creamed corn and sulfur.

Taste is almost nonexistent. Light adjunct malt tinges, no hops. Luckily this wasn't skunked, but it still tasted more like tap water than beer. Hard water aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but kinda slimy, and body is paper thin. This contributes to a very high drinkability and refreshment. The only circumstances conducive to enjoying this beer are 3 digit temperatures.

02-07-2008 00:48:03 | More by illidurit
JDV

2.4/5  rDev +3.9%

Light medium gold with no head. Smell mostly of the lime in the drink, and not much else. Taste is what you'd expect in a pale lager with a slightly different, bitter, yeast, or skunk taste or something, but not too bad. Mild malty taste and a drinkable beach beer, but not great.

02-02-2008 23:02:40 | More by JDV
MrIncognito

3.5/5  rDev +51.5%

The key to this beer is definitely the lime. Without the lime it is a very mediocre, if not worse, beer. The beer accepts and melds with the lime flavor well.

Taste is of corn mash, metalic, sweet. The lime adds a nice tartness and on a summer day, especially at the beach, tastes great. I think of all the beers, this tastes best with a lime. Not many others can accentuate the lime this well. Add the salt in your mouth and on your lips from a hot day of surfing or skimboarding and this is a great-tasting thirst quencher.

The best food on earth for this beer is nachos. Make yourself a huge plate of nachos with salty corn chips, beans, cheese, tomato, avacado and beef and this beer tastes fantastic.

PS - this beer sucks by itself w/out the lime.

01-31-2008 16:48:24 | More by MrIncognito
Surefire

1.2/5  rDev -48.1%

A: Looks like liquid waste. Very pale yellow-white

S: Nothing there, smells like water (or a light tea)

T: Tastes like a low budget beer flavored water.

M: None. About as thick as water.

D: Refreshing, and drinkable... not enjoyable.

Overall: Drinkable... but that is it. This is another beer in which it would be more enjoyable (and cheaper) just to go with water.

01-24-2008 02:49:57 | More by Surefire
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.