Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a 24 ounce clear bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Big white head and a clear yellow body. Nothing noteworthy, but I guess it looks ok.

Smell: Lots of skunk thanks to the clear bottle. Apparently Modelo cares more about the beer bottle than the beer itself. Upon closer investigation I was able to discover the aroma of pale malts.

Taste: More skunk. To quote the notes I wrote when I drank the beer, "yuck".

BierFan, May 10, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +55%

A. Bright yellow. Decent carbonation, and little head

S. Not very pleasent

T. Kind of skunky, im not a fan of fruit in my beer, but the lime makes it better

M. kind of watery, wasn't to pleasent

D. On a hot summer day or if your in the carribean its good.

Final thoughts: If you wanna drink it, get a lime. It helps with the unpleasent taste. Drink on hot days. Cinco de Mayo

Poormon79, May 10, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

horrible horrible. i bought a six pack for the first time ever, drank the first one that day, unbelievably skunky. almost smells like some kind of rotting dead thing.

a- bright yellow, almost no head.

s- enough to make me gag

t- it even tastes skunky

m- below average

d- impossible (for me at least)

sorry if i offended anyone, and i realize that beer in clear bottles gets skunked quickly in the sun but this beer did not see the sun and it was bad, they get even worse with age. two thums down

tj4288, May 08, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Imported in a clear bottle.

A - Pours a clear pale gold color with a lame white head.

S - Reeks of skunk and ass, I mean grass.

T - Tons of skunk flavor with a side of corn and grains. Finishes rather dry. I really, really wish I had a lime right now. No, it was not actually skunked, that's just how every single Corona truly tastes.

M - Watery yet crisp.

D - I could force down several of these but even as an American Adjunct Lager the taste makes this so damn hard to drink. I don't even think I could play beer pong with this.

Final Thoughts: This shit straight blows. It's expensive shit too.

cjl1209, May 08, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I haven't had this in about 3 years, and never without a lime or poured into a pint glass, but it was left in the fridge so here we go...

A: Very pale yellow, lots of carbonation. No head or lacing, just keeps on bubbling.

S: Well, there's not much to be honest. A little bit of grain somewhere in there, and some skunk.

T: Tastes kind of rough but bland, and I want to say there's soap in there. Get's worse at it warms up.

M: Ahhh carbonation.

D: I had to drop a lime in it as it warms up, but still not very good out of a pint glass. I just popped open another one, dropped a lime in, and took a swig. That's a world of difference, it just hits the palate differently of the bottle also. If it's hot out and I'm by the pool or on the beach, I'll give it a shot. No sense in bringing a nice IPA out the sun to skunk...

aggiearcher13, May 07, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Someone had this on tap for Cinco and my friend begged me to try it because it "has to be better on tap, right?" No. No, it doesn't.

Color is very pale yellow, almost clear. It looks like someone took an already watered-down beer and added water. There is no head or lacing. It looks gross and lame.

Sure, you can tell there are hops if you strain. Primarily, though, somebody bathed a dirty skunk and threw in the bath water. Thank God they added so much water that there's so little of everything else.

Yes, there are malts. Again, you strain to taste them. Hops are the same. I think the skunk peed in the bath. Then someone threw in some lemon peel.

Urine and water. Plus skunk. Not a mouthfeel, I know, but I like to reiterate.

That's about it. I exaggerate a little. Don't pretend you didn't enjoy it.

Brenden, May 07, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +27.7%

A - very typical of the style. Light straw color, little head and not much retention. Average.

S - skunky smell. Smells like a cheap adjunct other than that though.

T - varies a lot. Pretty good in my opinion if you buy it in the 12 pack box. I think that keeps the light out of it. Not terrible in a 6-pack, but pretty skunked. Don't buy this as a single unless you want to kno what a skunky beer taste like. If it's not skunked though this is actually an above average adjunct. Has a nice hop character and balance for the style. Good in cans if you can find them.

M - too much carbonation. Otherwise avg for the style.

D - very drinkable just like most adjuncts.

Overall I think this beer gets an undeserved bad reputation. If it's the skunk taste that gets you, give it a try in cans if you can find it, really above average taste for a macro adjunct. Can be a little pricy for what it is though.

cottonkoozie, May 07, 2009
2.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a big 24 oz bottle and a burrito to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Popped a couple of lime wedges into bottle. Fizzy yellow color, almost see through body. Smelled like water. Tasted like fizzy lime water. Gotta have some lime in here to give it a little zing; otherwise you are not working with much. Listen, you don't drink Corona for flavor. It became the King of Beach Beers for a reason: drinkability. You can drink one of these in your sleep. Awake or asleep, not much to write home about when you're done.

morebeergood, May 06, 2009
2.38/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Pint with no date on bottle and no lime.

A - A little carbonation feeding a very small white head above a bright clear gold body.

S - Wheat, grains, husk smell, very light malts are an afterthought of this beer.

T - Almost indecipherable flavors compounded of, what I can make out, incredibly light malting, grain, and husky flavors. Very processed.

M - Sharp carbonation bite but crisp and refreshing feel.

D - Being it Cinco De Mayo, I'll probably put my entire 6 pack down no problem but from now on I will never have them without the lime in the bottle. It's the only way.

BeerFMAndy, May 06, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +47.2%

Everyone I've talked to either hates or loves this beer. I, as a matter of fact, think its great. It's the perfect summer beer, just add a lime and your set to enjoy the day in the backyard pool or a swim-up bar. It's light and refreshing. It's not meant to be the king of beers, so don't go buying this beer thinking you're gonna get some over-the-top quality Mexican beer. I'll always chose Corona over its peers.

MLasoski, May 06, 2009

Going to review one of these in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo!

Appearance is a light golden straw color. poured with nearly no head, but it was white.

Smells a bit skunky, also pick up some grains or corn. It would smell better if i had a lime in it.

I think this is the first time I've actually had this beer without a lime in it. I knew I wouldn't be impressed. I taste grain, a little bit of malt, and a metallic/paint taste towards the end.

Mouthfeel is dry finishing and crisp. Watery. Not horrible.

Drinkability isn't too bad, but the whole beer gets bumped up a couple grades with a lime in it.

ThePeskyDingo, May 05, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Well here is another overrated, oversold beer in the United States. Corona is as much of a household name as Bud, Coors, and Miller. Corona is great if you are beyond buzzed and need something to come down on, or need something on a hot day, that tastes worse than sparkling water.

Overall the appearance is blah, the small and taste are below par, mouthfeel is ok, and drinkability is the only thing going for this beer now. I am really glad I bought a Coronita extra 6-pack, less to drink... I should try and pawn this off to a friend.

I do not recommend this beer... I can only imagine how awful the light must be.

Devilsfan87, May 05, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. The second Mexican beer I picked up for Cinco de Mayo.

A: You don't need me to describe it. You can see what it looks like in the bottle. Suffice to say it's not very appealing.

S: Skunked to hell. Interestingly, this marks an improvement over the typical macro aroma.

T: Ummm...yeah. They put limes in this for a reason. It becomes even worse as it warms up, so if you actually spend time trying to analyze the flavor, it'll most likely be undrinkable by the time you're halfway through the bottle.

M: I suppose it is reminiscent of something that could theoretically be refreshing.

D: I feel violated. Honestly, I think this would be pretty good served ice cold as part of a michelada. But as a stand-alone drink, it's pretty rough sailing.

BarrelO, May 05, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes rather quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of faint corny sweetness. The taste is like the aroma faint, bland, boring. The mouthfeel is light bodied with lots of carbonation. Overall, this isn't a very good beer, and I don't understand its popularity.

KarlHungus, May 02, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Wow, this is a fine example of the 'premium' selection offered at bars around the country...
Corona pours the palest of yellows with a soapy white 'head' disappears like magic. no lacing.
The smell is dominated by the one note skunk from the lovely clear bottles. Nothing else.
The taste is the same, there is no beer taste, just skunk...maybe a lime isn't such a bad idea...
The mouthfeel is crisp and light, but the finish leaves a lingering oddness on the tongue that is quite far from enjoyable.
For the style, this is not drinkable at all, this isn't beer, it ceased being beer about 2 weeks into its clear bottle journey to america.

grayburn, May 02, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Alright, so it's the one beer my wife will drink so I picked up a sixer for something special for her.

So pale, hard to imagine a beer with less color and still being considered beer, fizzy bubbles on top. Little to no smell besides some light grains and corn.

Nothing distinguishable and it's pretty much only drinkable when the weather is blistering, the beer is ice cold (so you don't notice the taste), and with a lime... mmmm, lime.

ritzkiss, May 02, 2009

I will never get why this beer is so popular and how people think they have a distinguished taste by drinking it because it's not bud light. The only time it's acceptable to drink corona is at a beach party with buddies. Other than this, Corona serves no purpose. An absolute sorry excuse for a beer. Tastes, smells, looks, and drinks terrible. I would much rather go with a Tecate or Negra Modelo if I want something south of the border.

sammyadams617, Apr 30, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: high carbonation, clear, small head, pale yellow

Smell: corn and grain

Taste: corn, grain, some alcohol taste

Mouthfeel: bubbly, sweet, and light

Drinkability: Not a favorite in the macro group. Even if you add a lime, it still does not taste good. I would not turn it down at a party, but I would also never buy it.

tigg924, Apr 29, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +32%

a pale straw color with little to no head. a very still beer, very little to no bubbles floating to the top.

smells like stale corn, maybe a hint of hop to follow, just maybe though.

very corny taste that hits immediately upon impact to the palate, then as it spreads on the tongue and thins out, theres very little left to taste. theres also a slight alcohol finish, that when teamed up with the thin corny malt and slight bitterness, has a funny astringent taste.

light bodied beer with carbonation that seems non-existant at first, but then finishes very spikey and "sizzles" on the tongue.

despite all of its flaws and lack thereofs, corona can be a very drinkable and enjoyable brew. maybe theyve done a hell of a marketing job, but if its a hot summer day, particularly on the beach, this is the first thing ill pick up in the store. quenches the thirst, refreshes, and washes down. really, it wasnt meant for much else was it?

mjw06, Apr 28, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -48.9%

Appearance - Pours a pale gold color with a foamy two finger head which disappears quickly, no lace.

Smell - Faint smell of corn and grain.

Taste - Corn and grain. Also a slight metallic taste, from a bottle. Odd.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery, high carbonation.

Drinkability - Not good. At least I tried it.

hardy008, Apr 26, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -41.6%

And here's my home country's No. 1 export beer... much to my deep regrets... Seriously, I don't know how a lot of people in Europe and the USA actually love this! And marketing offices in this country seem to be satisfied with this instead of actually trying to properly represent the country with a competent beer.

The appearance is actually inviting at first, specially if the bottle is ice cold as it is recommended to consume, you then raise your glass or bottle and realize that the body is a little bit too light, but that gives you little to nothing to say it's bad... then you notice the lack of smell and then you start to be suspicious about a lack of substance but you still go on and try it... and there it is, no substance, watery and taste lacking, heavily over-carbonated and depending on handling possibly a lot of foam, but the disgusting type of foam... It doesn't feels good, does not tastes good and its practically awful.

In summary, is it just canned over-carbonated water with poorly brewed and processed cereal grains.

Barrilitos, Apr 26, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -10%

As with others, this beer has a great color, and appearance... but when you get down to tasting the beer, it is very unpleasant, and does not fit my personal beer drinking tastes. I dont ever imagine me going anywhere and picking this beer up with a meal or for any other reason.

WwRGSwW, Apr 25, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Corona Extra is like a lady you see walking towards you on the street from about 50 yards away who you think is hot. Then you pass and you realize she is about 50 years old, her face is beat and her breath stinks.

My Corona Extra had a respectable appearance. Decent white head, approaching two fingers, brilliant star bright light yellow color and some champagne like beading. Head was creamy in parts with some big bubbles spaced about.

So far so good. Then I had to smell it. A lightstruck skunk odor attacked me! After I regrouped and gathered myself back up off the floor I was able to detect some grain notes and even...slight caramel? No, can't be.

Then I realized I had to taste it and shuttered violently. Fortunately the taste was better than the smell. (But that's not saying much). Some light malt sweetness that seems to gain strength towards the end. Very slight backend bitterness that leaves as quickly as the aftertaste. Some DMS aromas were hiding in there too, that only came out once I tasted this strangely popular import. Wondering if there was more to this beer, I ate a saltine cracker to refresh my palate but my next sip tasted like nothing. It seems the mighty saltine flavors completely dominated anything Corona had to offer.

Lively carbonation and light to medium body, duh.

No lime for me since I was reviewing, but usually I squeeze the lime over the top of the bottle, pour the beer out and then lick the bottle while sitting on the beach. Like a lime popsicle!

birdypowder, Apr 13, 2009

It's difficult to make a wise description of the largest importe beer in the United States, but i made this observation:

A: Bright golden color, like molten gold, the foamy head is white, creamy, with a finger and a half thick, fueled by hundreds of small bubbles that emerge from the background, and lasts forever, the retention is excellent.

S: Smooth and refreshing, constantly invites you to take drink it, analyzing it, dominates malt, stinging hops and olive oil.

T: Indescribable, a master merge between malt and hops, some chickpeas and grains that i haven't found in other adjunct lager.

M: Medium bitterness, very refreshing, crips, leave's a pleasant taste, medium body and medium carbonation.

D: World class.

roddwolff, Apr 11, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -40.3%

I have friends that love this, but I cannot understand. The first thing I notice is the skunky smell, worst of any beer i've ever drank. After 2 of these I'm done, heavy feeling and nausea. I've heard people say Corona doesn't taste like beer, they are right it doesn't!!! I guess the limes make it better, it would have too. No offense Corona folks, but I just can't handle it, but to each it's own.

hooverw1, Apr 08, 2009
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.