Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros

I don't know why this beers gets some much hype.. Its horrible... This is one of 3 beers someone can offer me for free and I would decline.
Again this beer is crap, gets alot of hype, tastes like crap and is priced the same as Bass Ale in the supermarket... What gives?

foles75, Dec 30, 2009

A. very plain in its appearance. its bright yellow color is not to be desired.

S. there is little to no aroma to this type of beer, unless you add lime to it like most people do.

T. with out the lime it is very bland. with the lime it is better but then you're spitting out pulp most of the time.

M. nothing special about the mouthfeel

D. this is just another beer to use to get drunk with.

MadElf25, Dec 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +64.5%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

lanechaffin, Dec 27, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A beer haiku for you:

Ubiquitous beer;
Why embarrass Mexico?
"Bud Light" in Spanish!

Ah, the first Holiday guests just came bearing gifts...the Corona Gift Twelve Pack. Obviously, the only open liquor store must have been a convenience store....
For the great unwashed, this is beer heaven. For the balance of us--a stop in purgatory.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Dec 24, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

drabmuh, Dec 18, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields a super light and airy, pure white head, the beer itself is a thin, very light gold color, almost yellow

S: Smells just like skunky weed, but that means its skunked from the clear bottle (go figure), the aroma is definitely light struck hops, not actual beer, after a few minutes the skunk fades a little leaving only slightly metallic blandness

T: Tastes milder than the smell as far as the skunk goes, very mild hop taste, slight sweetness, but not malt tasting, again a bit metallic

M: Carbonation is high, pretty thin

D: Flavors not good by any means, and it is too carbonated, both hinder the drinkability, since it isn't really pleasant

Notes: Now I know there are different opinions with regards to reviewing these adjunct lagers, however I'll be the first to admit that under the right circumstances I love an ice cold corona. However, when I review this, it is under controlled conditions. Compared to other beers, this one isn't great, but don't let that affect whether or not you would drink this occasionally.

dpodratsky3, Dec 14, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

You don't stick a lime in here for decoration. There isn't anything special to say about this one but it has its purpose. Its needs to be ice cold with the lime on a hot day. It goes down as easy as water and has a better quench factor. So don't run out and buy this for the taste or for May 5th.

Buckeyes67, Dec 12, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the mexican beer that we all think in a sunny day at the beach

Serving type: Glass Bottle

Appearance: quite good tipical straw color with little head

Smell: Really not a lot. like a normal "supermarket" beer

Mouthfeel: Quite good. is pretty clean and simple.

Drinkability: drinkable because light and fresh better with lime (not lemon)

Overall, this is a pretty good and even if it's an imported beer the price is acceptable. the pachage is very actracting

Reviewed on: 07-12-2009 19:20

kikobcn, Dec 07, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Imported yellow fizzy stuff. I am reviewing this without a lime which seems to be the best feature of this beer. Skunky smell (thats what happends with clear bottles) I guess the lime would have hid that. No real head or lacing. Crystal clear straw color and not so great a taste which is better than the smell. Reviewed this only to bump up my numbers, I would usually avoid but it was free. Why do people pay imported prices for this. There are much better Mexican beers out there.

bob3701, Dec 07, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -10%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of fluffy white head. It is pale yellow and clear. My friend, who is a nurse informed me that healthy urine is pale yellow. How fitting. It smells skunky with some sweetness. It tastes skunked and is watery. It is not good.

¡Salud!

buschbeer, Dec 02, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

Had to transfer my rating rating notes for this beer to BA after hearing my little sister talk about how much she loves this beer at Thanksgiving. What a joke. Unbelievable that most people in the US consider this a "premium" beer and will pay way more for it than an extremely similar beer like Miller Genuine Draft. This is one of the greatest marketing scams of all time, and the greatest proof you will ever find that most people are straight-up sheep. I take every opportunity to educate people on how much this beer sucks. Without a lime, it's undrinkable. Strangely, many people who "love Corona" will agree with that statement.

Bottle pours yellow urine-like color with thin fizzy white head.

Aroma is offensively grainy and corny. Not much else going on there. Skunk odor is often present, thanks to the clear bottles.

Flavor of corn, grain, and adjunk. Just terrible, with an unpleasant bitterness. Awful without a lime. Bearable if it's ice cold and has a lime in it, but then again, what isn't?

Watery and a little harsh on the palate. High carbonation.

Without the lime, which is how I will rate this beer, drinkability is awful. It just tastes like crap. Bud Light is a lot more pleasant, and that's really saying something.

EDIT: Crap, I actually ranked this high in a blind taste test of low-end adjunct lagers. Need to at least increase the score from an F to a D, since it's decent for a crappy version of this already crappy joke of a style. I hate American Adjunk Lagers with a passion.

nickd717, Nov 30, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Very popular at bars and pubs in Beijing.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with little head, no lacing either.

Smell: Slight fruits and malts.

Taste: Slight hop taste, sweet. Too light for me

Mouthfeel/Drink: Medium carbonation. Light bodied. Easy to drink when thirsty.

p.s. Better drink it when it is ice cold.

cnozzy, Nov 24, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

I drank this from the bottle many a nights when I thought this was a craft beer, but now I review in Puerto Vallarta when this is the only beer to drink.

It pours a super clear light gold with hardly any head or lacing.

The aroma is light hops and slight skunkiness.

The taste is the same. Its light but highly drinkable. Nothing special here at all. But in Mexico, do Mexico.

jrallen34, Nov 24, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -10%

Had this while visiting at my parents' house, so I figured I might as well review it.

Pours an extremely pale yellow with a tiny white bubbly head.

Smells of a faint sweetness with some corn and skunk.

Taste progresses from almost water when ice cold to a adjunct corn skunk with some sweetness as it warms.

Very light mouthfeel with an equally light carbonation.

Pretty drinkable when it's ice cold, and I understand the whole "refreshing on a hot day" argument, but I've had other beers that are equally drinkable and refreshing, but still have good flavor (e.g. a good hefe, blond, or wit). Also, the price is surprisingly high enough that I could never justify purchasing it.

advill88, Nov 21, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Another in the bad beer choices that have been put in front of me lately. This one at the local Mexican restaurant, and fortunately, not purchased by me.

A: A pale, pale yellow with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles and just about no head. Pretty much what I expected.

S: This is probably one of the skunkiest beers I've come across. Lots of sulfur, metal, and a hint of grainy sweetness.

T: Slightly better than the nose, but still fairly skunky. The sweetness is more apparent here, but the lack of any other flavors is really disappointing.

M: Light and fizzy.

D: This is probably the least drinkable of the adjunct lagers I've had. The smell just puts me off before it even gets to my mouth.

womencantsail, Nov 18, 2009

I've had Corona several times before, but I decided to try a little experiment. I work at a store that sells it and I wanted to buy a bomber out of a freshly opened box. Most of the Corona I've had has been light struck pretty badly, so I thought maybe the beer would be slightly better if I had been exposed to minimal light.

Appearance: Poured a golden yellow with about 1/2 a fingers worth of head. The head dissipates rapidly and leaves almost nothing behind, no lacing to speak of.

Smell: I have to nearly stick my nose into the beer to get a faint grain smell.

Taste: Not much here. The smallest inkling of hop bite towards the end. Still a little bit of that Corona skunk in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and as thin as water.

Drinkability: I can put about a 6'er of these back and just catch a buzz. It does go down pretty easy, like carbonated water.

In closing this bottle was actually slightly better than most of my experiences with Corona. It was definitely less skunked. But for the price there are a myriad of better options out there.

DrDoitchbig, Nov 09, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear yellow with a tiny thin lacing. Nose is of rice and very light malt, meh.

Taste is very light and a bit hoppy, I'm tasting some saaz here, it's almost like a really bad pilsner. Ok but not great, I think the can is good so it's less skunked.

kingcrowing, Nov 08, 2009

Drank straight from the bottle

A - Very little head, pours an ugly yellow collow
S - Smells like sulfur; I'd wish they'd do brown bottles, so this beer could have a fighting chance
T - Like water
M - Like water
D - Avoid at all costs. I think I could stand it better if they didn't put it in a clear bottle.

I think they make Corona by taking all the piss tests of Mexican police recruits and put it into a bottle.

If you want some good Mexican beer, try Negra Modelo

tjd112, Nov 07, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

a- straw colored. yellowish ugly

s- sulfurious smell. pungent, tough to deal with

t- bites the tongue, but not in a good, spice driven way. sour almost, with a burn

m- water, with too much carbonation

d- tough to force down. for some reason, people love it, and it gets drank on beaches everywhere. I just don't get it, people think it so sweet to throw fruit into your beer. Its a lot cooler to drink beer with fruit fermented into it

GoalieRon33, Nov 07, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +10.4%

I've been collecting bottle caps recently, and I found myself wanted a blue one, so I picked up a Corona out of the bargain bin. I'll forgo the Lime this time.

Appearance: Poured with a thumb of head that surprisingly retained but did not lace at all. The body is a very pale but crystal clear brass color with solid signs of carbonation.

Smell: Certainly has a skunky slightly acidic smell to it, with an almost sandy background. I also am catching a dried grass and generic grain smell. Charming it is not, as the words good enough come to mind.

Taste: Watered down, simply put as it starts with a light sweet corn and weak malt and turns to a bit of a dried grass kind of flavor. It's not offensive, but it certainly isn't good. I'm honestly not sure if this would taste better is it wasn't so watered down.

Mouthfeel: Well it leaves a bit of a sweet corn aftertaste, and the carbonation was fairly smooth, however the beer is very moist and watered down in the extreme. Slight acidic notes to the experience as well.

Drinkability: This beer is a thirst quencher, simply put as it had better be given how watered down it is. The acidic note would certainly cause me some stomach issues over time, but no problems with gas or getting it down. This beer is only for the summer though, simply put.

Final Thoughts: As the top selling import in the world, Corona is a testament to the power of marketing. A squirt of lime would give this beer some flavor, and help it's case but on it's own, it's really only appropriate for dousing ridiculously hot Mexican food, or having one after sweating on a beach at some resort. Frankly, if you put it next to a light lager, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

TheHammer, Nov 05, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +19%

had at peppitos on chicago ave i know this is bile but i will say there is a place and time for this lager and that would be at a mexican restaurant it was ok flavorful and went down easy with the chips and salsa and my tamales.. so as i said corona is ok at this point and time and not much else i did enjoy the brew while at the restaurant i must say

gatornation, Oct 27, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours clear yellow, with a medium-sized white head that is gone almost instantly, and leaves no lace behind.

Smell: Grain and grass, as well as something like burning rubber...

Taste: A bit sweet to begin, but finishes with notes of corn and an artificial-tasting bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, balanced carbonation, crisp finish.

Drinkability: I really don't like this beer. This is one of those beers that I actually can say I dislike rather than just saying I don't want it or it doesn't fit my mood or that there's something better. However, if it were hot outside and this were served to me ice-cold with some lime, a bit of salt, and maybe a burrito...no problems there.

Mosstrooper, Oct 23, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

It cracks me up that Corona, which is "lite" to begin with actually makes a "lite" version. The reason you have to add a lime is because of the complete lack of flavor in this beer. I know that the lime is the "kitch" factor making it look cool and trendy, but the fact that it just doesn't taste all that good should keep you away from this one. If you want to drink something "Mexican" with your Mexican food, grab a Dos Equis or Sol. They're both much better choices.

BBri, Oct 22, 2009

It has a very thin appearance in the glass with light bubbles resting on the top. Smell is bland, better with a lime on the top. The flavor is ok but best when having with food, especially mexican. It is heavy in the mouth with carbonation. Drink on a hot day with good friends.

microbrew52, Oct 19, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -1.3%

I must have been lured back by my own fond remembrances of pre-craft beer life, where the sweet paletteableness of this beer (plus lemon-slice) and the unfailingly good times that surrounded its consumption had left a mark in my mind. Well, it is what it is; and that's an adjunct-laden macro, with little to excite my senses, when not surrounded by drunken frivolity. Pale straw-color & fizzy, short-lasting head. Thin smelling and thinner on the mouthfeel, the overall experience is of an OK thirst-quencher, and little more.

hylton44, Oct 19, 2009
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.