Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev +16%

A 940 mL caguama purchased at the Mega outside of Bucerias.

A: The lager is pale and yellow, a straw color that seems paler than just about every other beer I've had this week. Small patches of lace are slowly drying.

S: Little nose, if any, wafts out of the glass. A hint of corn, some sweetness, but not much else.

T: The taste seems to parallel the nose, offering up corn and not much else. Grains and adjuncts drive the flavor, offering little else. A sickly sweetness lingers in the mouth.

M: Familiar? More like a haunting nightmare. Much like Corona Extra, this is an uninviting lager.

D: I split the caguama with three people and am luckier for it.

***

A bottle served with lunch at La Palma in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Lime promptly discarded.

A: The lager is fizzy and yellow, exactly as intended. A small ring of white head sits contentedly.

S: The nose is mild, highlighted by a sweet corn aroma. The nose is best when cold, as it tends to mask the adjuncts.

T: Again, the lager is best when cold, delivering a refreshing blast that lacks substance. As it warms, the corn and pale malts become more evident. As a result, the lager heads downhill. So drink it while it's cold! Hops? Someone forgot to add 'em. A good hot weather beer.

M: The fizziness of the beer is a plus, removing the bland flavors on each sip.

D: It's a hot day out, so I won't say no to another.

akorsak, Jan 20, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -10%

It would be wrong to call this a beer but its a classical lager non the less. If you dont know what a Corona is, you dont know much. For many this is the first beer that isn't all about chemicals but still its not much more then that.
A is legit, it looks good and nothing special about that. Period.
S: Well, its not bad but its barley anything.
T: As with everything else with this beer, it dosent really happen much. Standard feeling for this kind of beer. Its cheep and it feels.
M: Same as above.. What mouthfeel? Its barely noticeable (compared to another beer in the same class).
D: For me this must be the most easy thing to drink. Its almost insane how smooth they have gotten this yellow liquid!

This bewared splits me in two. Before i became "enlighten" i though this was a good think to drink. The problem is just that! I have liked this and without it i would never attack the finner things of the industry. This "philosophic" thinking may go on a while but i will hold my ground right here.. You can read 30 different reviews and you will get 30 different opinions..!

erikwibaeus, Jan 17, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +97%

Firstly, i believe most people on this site love "heavy, dark, robustly flavorful" beers. I personally feel this site is kind of biased.

I love coronas with lime. I can drink it all night. Its delicious and refreshing. Sure its not malty or hoppy. Its like a lime soda with a smooth after taste of limey.

Don't get me wrong, I love heavy beers too. Dogfish head 90 ipa and sam adams ocktoberfest are someone of my favorite beers. I just dont understand why this beer got such low ratings, go similar ratings as most beers in anheiser busch.

I am a proud supporter of coronas and im not mexican btw lol.

unkk33, Jan 15, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +38.5%

Serving glass: Poured from can into clear plastic cup (on the plane to Maui).

Appearance: Pale yellow with stark white head and, surprisingly, some lacing.

Smell: Very sweet smelling. Actually smells like a Pilsner (apple, grains, spicy hops) but a little too sweet.

Taste: Tastes like a very light, but sweet, Pilsner, with apple, grainy malts and a light pepper finish. Can't really taste the adjuncts but maybe the sweetness is the giveaway.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body but is actually somewhat smooth.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and, unlike most adjunct lagers, can actually taste the Pilsner roots. I hadn't had this in years and expected to hate it. I was pleasantly surprised and prefer this over most macros. Maybe it helped that it was from a can instead of the clear bottles I had in the past.

bsp77, Jan 13, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

I thought this beer was at least okay a few years ago but after drinking nothing but craft for the last couple years I was surprised at how bad this was. We now what it looks like, foamy head dissipates quickly leaving almost no trace of lacing. Aroma offers Munich malt, corn adjuncts and booze. Taste is more corn cereal, German malts and little to no hops. Carbonation is excessive and sharp. Finish is moderately dry. Overall lacking real flavor.

natelocc787, Jan 11, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Very drinkable, this is a good beer to have for tail-gating. However, it has very little flavor, and does not really compare with better beer. This beer is good with a lime or lemon, some people like to add some margarita salt on the bottle top. This beer is also known as "Panther Piss." This beer is not at the top of my list.

StevenBilodeau, Jan 08, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer is simply water. It is not as bad as some, i.e. Miller Light with Lime but is only better because its flavor is not repulsive. It is a fine drink for those who do not like beer but if you are looking for malt or hops you should stay away. Overall this is a brew for those whom do not like beer, or simply wish to party and have no need for quality.

Eisen, Jan 03, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle with lime slice.
There isn't much to say about this beer. It is a very plain and generic looking beer. It is hardly different in flavor than similar beers, such as Bud (although it may beat out having a Bud Light Lime). It's not a terrible beer to have if you out to a Mexican restaurant, but probably not my first choice.

Cubsfan1087, Jan 02, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

bomber with a lime in it.

this is a slight improvement over the light version. the body is darker and there is a little more of a discernible taste to the beer. do I want to drink this? no. but given a choice, i guess I would take the extra over most american adjuncts, except regular budweiser, as long as I was eating tex-mex.

erz316, Jan 01, 2010

I don't know why this beers gets some much hype.. Its horrible... This is one of 3 beers someone can offer me for free and I would decline.
Again this beer is crap, gets alot of hype, tastes like crap and is priced the same as Bass Ale in the supermarket... What gives?

foles75, Dec 30, 2009

A. very plain in its appearance. its bright yellow color is not to be desired.

S. there is little to no aroma to this type of beer, unless you add lime to it like most people do.

T. with out the lime it is very bland. with the lime it is better but then you're spitting out pulp most of the time.

M. nothing special about the mouthfeel

D. this is just another beer to use to get drunk with.

MadElf25, Dec 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +64.5%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

lanechaffin, Dec 27, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A beer haiku for you:

Ubiquitous beer;
Why embarrass Mexico?
"Bud Light" in Spanish!

Ah, the first Holiday guests just came bearing gifts...the Corona Gift Twelve Pack. Obviously, the only open liquor store must have been a convenience store....
For the great unwashed, this is beer heaven. For the balance of us--a stop in purgatory.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Dec 24, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

drabmuh, Dec 18, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields a super light and airy, pure white head, the beer itself is a thin, very light gold color, almost yellow

S: Smells just like skunky weed, but that means its skunked from the clear bottle (go figure), the aroma is definitely light struck hops, not actual beer, after a few minutes the skunk fades a little leaving only slightly metallic blandness

T: Tastes milder than the smell as far as the skunk goes, very mild hop taste, slight sweetness, but not malt tasting, again a bit metallic

M: Carbonation is high, pretty thin

D: Flavors not good by any means, and it is too carbonated, both hinder the drinkability, since it isn't really pleasant

Notes: Now I know there are different opinions with regards to reviewing these adjunct lagers, however I'll be the first to admit that under the right circumstances I love an ice cold corona. However, when I review this, it is under controlled conditions. Compared to other beers, this one isn't great, but don't let that affect whether or not you would drink this occasionally.

dpodratsky3, Dec 14, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

You don't stick a lime in here for decoration. There isn't anything special to say about this one but it has its purpose. Its needs to be ice cold with the lime on a hot day. It goes down as easy as water and has a better quench factor. So don't run out and buy this for the taste or for May 5th.

Buckeyes67, Dec 12, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the mexican beer that we all think in a sunny day at the beach

Serving type: Glass Bottle

Appearance: quite good tipical straw color with little head

Smell: Really not a lot. like a normal "supermarket" beer

Mouthfeel: Quite good. is pretty clean and simple.

Drinkability: drinkable because light and fresh better with lime (not lemon)

Overall, this is a pretty good and even if it's an imported beer the price is acceptable. the pachage is very actracting

Reviewed on: 07-12-2009 19:20

kikobcn, Dec 07, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Imported yellow fizzy stuff. I am reviewing this without a lime which seems to be the best feature of this beer. Skunky smell (thats what happends with clear bottles) I guess the lime would have hid that. No real head or lacing. Crystal clear straw color and not so great a taste which is better than the smell. Reviewed this only to bump up my numbers, I would usually avoid but it was free. Why do people pay imported prices for this. There are much better Mexican beers out there.

bob3701, Dec 07, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -10%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of fluffy white head. It is pale yellow and clear. My friend, who is a nurse informed me that healthy urine is pale yellow. How fitting. It smells skunky with some sweetness. It tastes skunked and is watery. It is not good.

¡Salud!

buschbeer, Dec 02, 2009
2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

Had to transfer my rating rating notes for this beer to BA after hearing my little sister talk about how much she loves this beer at Thanksgiving. What a joke. Unbelievable that most people in the US consider this a "premium" beer and will pay way more for it than an extremely similar beer like Miller Genuine Draft. This is one of the greatest marketing scams of all time, and the greatest proof you will ever find that most people are straight-up sheep. I take every opportunity to educate people on how much this beer sucks. Without a lime, it's undrinkable. Strangely, many people who "love Corona" will agree with that statement.

Bottle pours yellow urine-like color with thin fizzy white head.

Aroma is offensively grainy and corny. Not much else going on there. Skunk odor is often present, thanks to the clear bottles.

Flavor of corn, grain, and adjunk. Just terrible, with an unpleasant bitterness. Awful without a lime. Bearable if it's ice cold and has a lime in it, but then again, what isn't?

Watery and a little harsh on the palate. High carbonation.

Without the lime, which is how I will rate this beer, drinkability is awful. It just tastes like crap. Bud Light is a lot more pleasant, and that's really saying something.

EDIT: Crap, I actually ranked this high in a blind taste test of low-end adjunct lagers. Need to at least increase the score from an F to a D, since it's decent for a crappy version of this already crappy joke of a style. I hate American Adjunk Lagers with a passion.

nickd717, Nov 30, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Very popular at bars and pubs in Beijing.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with little head, no lacing either.

Smell: Slight fruits and malts.

Taste: Slight hop taste, sweet. Too light for me

Mouthfeel/Drink: Medium carbonation. Light bodied. Easy to drink when thirsty.

p.s. Better drink it when it is ice cold.

cnozzy, Nov 24, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 4.5

I drank this from the bottle many a nights when I thought this was a craft beer, but now I review in Puerto Vallarta when this is the only beer to drink.

It pours a super clear light gold with hardly any head or lacing.

The aroma is light hops and slight skunkiness.

The taste is the same. Its light but highly drinkable. Nothing special here at all. But in Mexico, do Mexico.

jrallen34, Nov 24, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -10%

Had this while visiting at my parents' house, so I figured I might as well review it.

Pours an extremely pale yellow with a tiny white bubbly head.

Smells of a faint sweetness with some corn and skunk.

Taste progresses from almost water when ice cold to a adjunct corn skunk with some sweetness as it warms.

Very light mouthfeel with an equally light carbonation.

Pretty drinkable when it's ice cold, and I understand the whole "refreshing on a hot day" argument, but I've had other beers that are equally drinkable and refreshing, but still have good flavor (e.g. a good hefe, blond, or wit). Also, the price is surprisingly high enough that I could never justify purchasing it.

advill88, Nov 21, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Another in the bad beer choices that have been put in front of me lately. This one at the local Mexican restaurant, and fortunately, not purchased by me.

A: A pale, pale yellow with lots of tiny carbonation bubbles and just about no head. Pretty much what I expected.

S: This is probably one of the skunkiest beers I've come across. Lots of sulfur, metal, and a hint of grainy sweetness.

T: Slightly better than the nose, but still fairly skunky. The sweetness is more apparent here, but the lack of any other flavors is really disappointing.

M: Light and fizzy.

D: This is probably the least drinkable of the adjunct lagers I've had. The smell just puts me off before it even gets to my mouth.

womencantsail, Nov 18, 2009

I've had Corona several times before, but I decided to try a little experiment. I work at a store that sells it and I wanted to buy a bomber out of a freshly opened box. Most of the Corona I've had has been light struck pretty badly, so I thought maybe the beer would be slightly better if I had been exposed to minimal light.

Appearance: Poured a golden yellow with about 1/2 a fingers worth of head. The head dissipates rapidly and leaves almost nothing behind, no lacing to speak of.

Smell: I have to nearly stick my nose into the beer to get a faint grain smell.

Taste: Not much here. The smallest inkling of hop bite towards the end. Still a little bit of that Corona skunk in there as well.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and as thin as water.

Drinkability: I can put about a 6'er of these back and just catch a buzz. It does go down pretty easy, like carbonated water.

In closing this bottle was actually slightly better than most of my experiences with Corona. It was definitely less skunked. But for the price there are a myriad of better options out there.

DrDoitchbig, Nov 09, 2009
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.