1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.02/5  rDev -55.8%

Poured a dull yellow with almost no fizzy white head.

The smell is terrible, super skunky and awful. The nose is so bad I'm having trouble bringing the glass up to my mouth for a drink.

The taste is nothing but bad skunky beer.

Water.

Drinkable no, drainpour - yes

bashiba, Dec 22, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

What can one say about this beer? It doesn't have an offensive taste or a good taste to start. It's an ugly looking color which makes me wonder why they have it in a clear bottle. It has a bitter skunk buildup that leaves a nasty aftertaste if you continue to drink it. Smell is bleh, mouthfeel nothing special. All and all, life is too short to waste on this kind of lager which there is far to much of in the world today. I wouldn't have even drank it except my aunt sent it along with some other stuff she gave us from her bar. I've had seltzer water with a more pleasant and strong taste.

hdofu, Dec 22, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -10%

What can you say about this classic summertime drink... Obviously this won't win over any beer purists or those who actually enjoy the taste of a good beer, but it does have its place on a hot day with a slice of lime. Not a good beer, but a very good drink on a hot day...preferably in Mexico.

lured2fish, Dec 22, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Reviewed on 7/6/08. Drank this straight out of the bottle. Looks like dark piss. Very skunky. Some wheat, light sweet fruits hide in the background. Dominated by the skunk. Not terrible but close.
Aroma: 2/10
Appearance: 2/5
Flavor: 3/10
Palate: 2/5
Overall: 3/20
1.2/5

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance: clear yellow in colour with bubbly carbonation that fizzles its way to the top of the beer. No head at all.

Smell: gasoline, some metallic grains, and corn.

Taste: thin and tart malt flavour, lighter fluid, and a metallic, blood-like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated body and watery finish.

Overall: I used to think this was drinkable, but last night I couldn't even finish the beer. Corona is only palatable if you hide its smell and taste with a lemon or lime wedge.

cratez, Dec 14, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

I've never liked Corona. I always thought it was overpriced when I was in High School because all my friends drank it. I never understood why. I guess it was the cool thing. Whenever someone handed me one, the only way I could drink it without giving a shot face (yea, a shot face after drinking beer) was to put a lime wedge in it. For this I got so much crap from my friends. "REAL men don't put fruit in their beers!" "Pussy!" Etc, etc. Maybe it was the forgettable beer, or the "fond" memories, but I doubt I'll ever have this again.

Mistofminn, Dec 13, 2008

There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said before. It's a pale yellow liquid with no aroma. I bought a sixer to make some micheladas at a party. Use only when mixing. I really have to give this a more objective review. It just really took me off guard at the time I had it. I just couldn't drink it.
(rated Jun 12, 2008)

yesyouam, Dec 11, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

This claims to be the number-one beer in Mexico. Its not. Yellow and fizzy, full of corn and pee. The nose is weak and watery, as is the taste. I don't think there is even one hop in this bottle. Do not attempt to drink this without a lime, otherwise you may be able to taste the beer.

magictrokini, Dec 09, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +13.9%

Corona is a nice choice when you're on a beach or in some insanely hot climate (hence their commercials). It is light and refreshing, which you crave when you are sweating your a** off! Me personally, I like to fill the rest of the bottle with a flavored vodka to make a "dirty corona"....better than by itself if you ask me. Not that impressed if you ask me, considering all the hype.

VaTechHopHead, Dec 05, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Well corona, what do we have here? Nothing. Onto the review. Looks like super watered down yellow color, looks like piss. The smell is brutal, smells a bit skunky, cardboardy, stale. Taste? Taste? This is non-existant. Goes down like water, and tastes like water, with a hint of beer in the background. Mouthfeel, is also non-existant. Very very thin and watery. Drinkability is high, because its like water. Just a brutal beer, if you wanna get drunk this is decent to use. Avoid, otherwise.

steeler, Dec 03, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -45%

A - poured a pale straw color with a soapy white head that disappeared rather quickly and left no lacing

S - skunk, literally. Like freshly killed, driving past with windows down

T - the taste with no lime is not pleasing. corn and alcohol, great for frat parties, but doesn't please at all

M - watery bodied with lots of carbonation

D - avoid, avoid, and avoid. One more word. AVOID. I guess the addition of limes is what drives the marketing, but wasn't impressed

cvfish, Dec 01, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +37.7%

Well this is what it is. A very drinkable bland beer that is very refreshing with a lime in the summer time. I don't see any point to shitting all over a beer like this like a lot of people seem to do on this site. There's nothing offensive about it at all, and its not as skunky as ppl claim. Don't drink one that's been sitting in the light and it won't be skunked.

EatsTacos, Nov 30, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

New to this taaste reviewing, here it goes!

Firstly may I just say I have a limited knowlege of good beer since I mainly drink big brand European imported and British brewed lager. However I have rated the beer to make up for this, e.g. if I thought a beer was really good I would not go higher than C/B as I am leaving space for A beers!

Corona is normally priced pretty high, you can buy other lager cheaper than this, so I expect good quality.

Appearance: It is a clear yellow / gold type of colour. When poured or drank only a small head is formed which dissapears fairly quickly. In the bottle it looks inviting, and it appears you will be unbottling a tasty beer!

Smell: Sweet smelling. Slight gassy smell, and slight spice smell. Doesn't give off an amazing tasty smell, pretty poor / standard.

Smell: Can taste corn, sweet tasting - but not very sweet. Small hits of almost tasting the alcohol but nothing else, leaves you unimpressed.

Mouthfeel: Light, pretty thin, medium-high carbonisation.

Drinkability: Easily consumed - but it didn't leave as satisfied as I hoped.

Bottom linke - I wouldn't bother, I'd only drink it if offered at a bar or something, I wouldnt go out of my way to drink this

jackthewelshman, Nov 29, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

A very pale gold/yellow color,thin head.Aroma of corn,cat feet,and hay,and skunk weed. Flavor is very watery,kind of a skunky band aid taste, thin mouthfeel,funky finish. I could see drink this if you were really loaded allready but I'll pass.Save your money for some real beer eh.

WakeandBake, Nov 28, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly. Nothing special about the aroma or flavor other than it is refreshing on a hot day. If it is served freezing cold with a slice of lime on a very humid day it can be drinakble, otherwise avoid at all cost.

corby112, Nov 27, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A real disappointment in many ways this one. A very light bodied Mexican lager. One bottle I had was flat. Often a lemon is added to enhance the flavour which is delicately citrusy.

This always comes in 330ml bottles I find, not a very satisfying beer. Also can be extremely expensive.

MrAleman, Nov 26, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer is just a whole lot of nothing. It has a pale yellow body without a head. There isn't much taste either, because the beer is so incredibly watery. The only reason why I didn't give this beer anything lower is because it's by no means offensive due to the neutrality of the taste and smell. Extremely carbonated. It goes well on a warm, summer day when there is nothing else to reach for.

germanbeer1, Nov 24, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

A - very light yellow and a weak very white head

S - not much at all; a little sweet malt aroma but not much going on

T - The start is nice and malty but trails off into an almost offensive finish

M - the feel is what you would want from a light beer like this good carbonation

D - it is almost drinkable just a crappy finish doesn't work

humanawho, Nov 23, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, appropriately corn-colored, yellow body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Blend of light pale malts and white corn tortilla chips with a very, very minor yeast note.

Taste: Corn and light pale malts with a mild sweetness. Very light hop bitterness. Tiny kick of yeasty sourness. Finishes relatively clean.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Mostly harmless. Eh, it's not a great, classic lager, but I will say I have tasted far, far worse.

ChainGangGuy, Nov 19, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Is a yellow clear color. With a small amount of carbination.

Smells pretty plain and grainy before I pushed 4 lime wedges in it.

Tastes pretty grainy or almost a ceral taste pre lime.

In the mouth it is pretty watery with a little carbination.

Only drinkable if you cram a bunch of limes in it! Otherwise Pass!

LordofTime25, Oct 31, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Not a great beer and absolutely overpriced, but it still hits the spot once in a while. Grainy aroma, very pale yellow pour with a solid white head (at least for a short time), and a semi-crisp feel. Flavor is enjoyable in small quantities and best serves it's purpose on a warm day with a light meal. Overall typical expensive "import" brew, better off spending less on a nice American Wheat.

kinger, Oct 29, 2008
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I kept this corona in the bottle to drink it.
I did not use a lime, if you need fruit with your beer perhaps you should look for another type of beer.
There is no smell of hops, but the taste is crisp, and this beer is super easy to drink. There are times when this is the only saving grace and you are surrounded in a sea of light and traditional american lagers! In those cases it is a good beer. Otherwise if there is a broader selection of beer avaliable you should look elsewhere for a beverage
it is though the best beach beer! and I love beach beer because it means the beer doesn't really matter.

ncbeermonger, Oct 22, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A friend left this at my house, so I figured I might as well review it. It pours a pale urine like color, with a frothy head. Corona smells sweet, I do not know if it corn or another additive, but it is very sweet. The beer is thin and sweet. There is not much complexity to it, nor hops. The beer is very drinkable. This beer is good for serious quaffing as it is very light. That being said it is considered a good sessionable beer for the masses, but one I would rather skip.

bonkers, Oct 21, 2008
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

This pours a clear yellow, goldish color. Has a decent head that dies down before you notice it.

Smells like nothing, maybe some corn?

Tastes like nothing too. A very light corn taste, would think it was a light beer.

Very fizzy mouthfeel with a thin and watery body.

It is fairly drinkable though being that it is watery.

This is a party beer. If you want to knock back a 12 pack and get hammered this is one of those beers.

ocelot2500, Oct 16, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I would have to say that the one thing that stands out about Corona Extra is that it is an overpriced macro-brew. The only differences between this beer and Bud or Miller is that Corona has a lighter taste and drains my wallet even more. It's not that i think it's a bad beer, I've had it more than a few times, just when I'm not paying. A little too watery for my tastes.

(Great for cruises though!!)

Rhynes2, Oct 06, 2008
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.