Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Vansmack

I just have to say 1 thing... if you have to put a lime in your beer... then you should be wearing women's underwear!

This beer should only be served if you are eating at a mexican restaurant and you just ate a bean burrito filled with jalapeno's and hot sauce. Or, if you are doing an hour of power and want to get wasted.

This beer is not a beer to enjoy with friends and family.

And I can't believe how high they price this garbage.

Thanks Corona for nothing.

03-14-2008 20:44:29 | More by Vansmack
daledeee

Iowa

1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Another Mexican restuarant offering. I must always try to stop them. They try to stick a lime in my beer. I don't like that.

This comes in the clear bottle which almost guarantees skunk.

This pours rather flat looking with strong skunk. Taste is grainy and a hair malty. The skunk tastes too. Mouthfeel is overcarbonated. Drinkability suffers due to the skunk. I know we are not supposed to review skunk beer, but you think these people would figure it out. Everyone I have ever drank is the same and it does not appeal to me.

03-02-2008 23:11:56 | More by daledeee
bassmantin

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

Drank out of the bottle, but the appearance was quite apparent due to the super-skunkifying clear bottle. Very transparent yellow piss color.

I've always been a bit partial to this beer. The flavor isn't anything phenomenal, a touch of malty sweetness, but it's very refreshing. A good beach beer (not that I ever go to the beach).

Overall: I would drink this beer as my standard low-quality beer if (i) it wasn't so expensive and (ii) it didn't make me look like a douchebag.

03-01-2008 04:08:25 | More by bassmantin
Darien

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

A-No head no lacing but crystal clear with a light straw color.

S-Smells kinda skunky

T-Tastes like it smells...skunky, I cant really taste anything over it.

M-As watery as a light beer.

D-If you can get by the taste it actually goes down smooth, but thats probably because it's so watery.

02-29-2008 14:40:13 | More by Darien
Hoagie1973

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

The only reason I don't give this beer an F is because it doesn't actually taste bad... in fact it doesn't really taste at all. The fact that they make a "light" version is laughable. The only time you get any flavor is when it's skunked (and that's far more often than not).
Where do they get off charging this kind of money for something that has no substance and is always light damaged?
The perfect beer for people who don't really enjoy the taste of beer.
P.S. Jamming a lime wedge into it doesn't exactly make you look macho.

02-24-2008 05:58:05 | More by Hoagie1973
AshevilleSippin

1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Short Version:
Bad beer. Really bad in a glass with no lime. Great thirst quencher on a boat or on the beach.

Details:
It really saddens me to sit and rate a Corona in a glass like it's a regular beer. We all know better... and yet I proceed with this spectacle.

Rating it in a chair in my living room, in a pint glass with no lime nonetheless, is somehow a horribly sacreligous mockey that strips it bare of the nostalgic sun-beach-boat tripod that hold this beer up so unnaturally high.

I practically poured it from the roof of my house into an upright glass and wasn't able to get more than a nanometer of head out of it. Which lasted all of 10 seconds.

Color is light straw and crystal clear. Despite a pseudo-brisk carbonation there isn't a speck of foam anywhere. Not even a really small speck. I've never seen a beer so divoid of foam.

On the nose I get Karo syrup, macro-stench, and some kind of steer feed.

On the palate there is watery carbonated sweetness that I can't place. I don't think a hop truck even drove past this brewery on its way somewhere else.

Utterly divoid of flavor/body beyond the syrupy grainy sweetness.

Finish is ultra flat and quick. Sweet again. Not even dry. Just H20.

Again, this is not really beer. This is a thirst quencher. Much like Gatorade (or G2 actually. Gatorade Lite). It's meant for days that are above 80 degF and sunny. Usually with a body of water in sight and/or a hot plate of cat meat and veggies on a corn tortilla. With Gatorade you are quenching your thirst from exercising in the sun. With Corona you are quenching your thirst from drinking other Corona's in the sun. It's like a sport.

For the sake of Beer Rating I have to royally tank this beer. But I'll still probably buy 12 cases of it this year to enjoy at the beach and on the boat. Only from a bottle and only with a lime wedge. Really, there's not much better. I rank it right up there with sitting down with good friends at a brew pub and sipping ultra fresh and lacey pints of real beer.

Big fan of Corona for what it is. Big fan.

02-22-2008 05:14:44 | More by AshevilleSippin
donteatpoop

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

I find the scent, taste, and palate of corona completely unappealing. If I drink more than one I find myself suffering from a headache. The color is a pale yellow that isn't entirely unpleasant; probably the highlight of my review in fact.

I've gotten into arguments with friends who have sworn to me that this is one of the best beers ever. Some of them tell me that I'm not drinking it right if I don't add the lemon or lime; and on occasion I have humored them and added said citrus (after first making it clear that the beer should be able to stand on its own without the addition of fruits). In either case my opinion remains the same. Corona is unfit to be bottled. I apologize for the graphicness that is about to spew from my keyboard, but I swear that the recipe of Corona is: drink tequila, then urinate into a bottle and let chill.

02-22-2008 02:29:23 | More by donteatpoop
BeerTaster

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearence pale straw color almost no head. Smell corn almost no hops hint of grain. Taste same as smell no aftertaste, thin body, high carbonation. Drinkability not to good I see why they put lime in this one that would be the best part of this beer.

02-14-2008 21:00:12 | More by BeerTaster
woemad

Washington

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle obtained at a price fair for this beer - nada. No freshness date.

Pours a clear straw color with an inch of white foam that vanished at high speed

Vaguely grassy, corny nose, not as skunky as I expected, but that's about all to report. If I could describe any beer as having a generic macro beer smell, this would be it.

Corn flavored water. It's flavor could best be described as "relentlessly bland."

Watery mouthfeel - big shock.

Goes down easy, but that's the main goal where this is spawned. For the love of God, don't even think about trying this any warmer than ice-cold. If I'd paid for this, I'd be much more pissed off. Drink this in Mexico when you've already seen the local source for fresh water and actually saw someone or something crapping in it. Otherwise, avoid.

02-12-2008 08:06:54 | More by woemad
avalon07

South Carolina

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Lesson learned on this: When someone offers you a free beer, you don't always have to take it.

Has a very clear light golden color with almost no body or consistency. Totally translucent. No real head to speak of.

The smell was atrocious. Almost smelled like someone's ripe feet. Probably skunked.

No real discernable taste. Maybe a little malt, but hardly any to speak of. It's closer to water than anything else.

Very little carbonation, so there wasn't much of a mouthfeel.

Decidedly, an undrinkable beer. It's mystifying why this is such a popular drink.

02-10-2008 20:35:12 | More by avalon07
Gehrig

1.55/5  rDev -32.9%

I made the mistake of taking a friend up on his offer to have a couple of these left in the fridge after a house party. I remember this being a particular favorite of people in my old neck of the woods, who frequently enjoyed this on warm summer days by the lake. I hadn't had one in some time, and could always have taken or left Corona, but figured I'd give it another shot. I wish I hadn't.

Thin white foam tops a clear, faintly golden body. The look is its best feature, and at that isn't so good, boding ill. The smell contains mild sweetness and is faintly skunky. The clear bottle cannot help matters. It tastes watery, with vapors of sweetness occasionally bubbling to the tongue. No discernible malt. Putrid.

This flattens fast, unsurprisingly, rendering it almost undrinkable. Unless you enjoy bottled cat sick, don't buy this. The worst thing of all is that it costs a decent buck, and for what? Garbage.

02-10-2008 15:37:54 | More by Gehrig
illidurit

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Someone brought like 40 Coronas to my Super Bowl party and they're still in my fridge. It's been something like 3 years since I tasted the stuff so I decided to break one out for the hell of it.

Appearance is a sickly pale gold with a very fizzy white head. The carbonation isn't quite cola-like but it's close. The suds disappears in seconds and leaves nothing on the glass.

Smell is pretty bleak, with faint creamed corn and sulfur.

Taste is almost nonexistent. Light adjunct malt tinges, no hops. Luckily this wasn't skunked, but it still tasted more like tap water than beer. Hard water aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but kinda slimy, and body is paper thin. This contributes to a very high drinkability and refreshment. The only circumstances conducive to enjoying this beer are 3 digit temperatures.

02-07-2008 00:48:03 | More by illidurit
JDV

2.4/5  rDev +3.9%

Light medium gold with no head. Smell mostly of the lime in the drink, and not much else. Taste is what you'd expect in a pale lager with a slightly different, bitter, yeast, or skunk taste or something, but not too bad. Mild malty taste and a drinkable beach beer, but not great.

02-02-2008 23:02:40 | More by JDV
MrIncognito

3.5/5  rDev +51.5%

The key to this beer is definitely the lime. Without the lime it is a very mediocre, if not worse, beer. The beer accepts and melds with the lime flavor well.

Taste is of corn mash, metalic, sweet. The lime adds a nice tartness and on a summer day, especially at the beach, tastes great. I think of all the beers, this tastes best with a lime. Not many others can accentuate the lime this well. Add the salt in your mouth and on your lips from a hot day of surfing or skimboarding and this is a great-tasting thirst quencher.

The best food on earth for this beer is nachos. Make yourself a huge plate of nachos with salty corn chips, beans, cheese, tomato, avacado and beef and this beer tastes fantastic.

PS - this beer sucks by itself w/out the lime.

01-31-2008 16:48:24 | More by MrIncognito
Surefire

1.2/5  rDev -48.1%

A: Looks like liquid waste. Very pale yellow-white

S: Nothing there, smells like water (or a light tea)

T: Tastes like a low budget beer flavored water.

M: None. About as thick as water.

D: Refreshing, and drinkable... not enjoyable.

Overall: Drinkable... but that is it. This is another beer in which it would be more enjoyable (and cheaper) just to go with water.

01-24-2008 02:49:57 | More by Surefire
mnstorm99

1.3/5  rDev -43.7%

Pours a very pale yellow with no head.
Aroma is malty not too bad, just not good.
Taste is the worst ever, tastes like old beer that has been sitting in the sun for a few months.
mouthfeel is very thin and over carbonated.
I will never have another one of these beers, the only way to choke one down is with a lime in it.

01-21-2008 14:02:01 | More by mnstorm99
mltobin

Connecticut

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

Toss a slice of lime into the glass, tilt upside down as to allow the flavor to extract to the rest of the beer.

A- Light clear yellow tone, short white head.
T- Taste is light and refreshing, not too much character, however very enjoyable to accompany food at a summer BBQ that will be going on for several hours.
MF -Lacking, just swallow Corona, no complex notes here.
D- Average, Corona is what it is. It is a light-bodied lager that is easy to drink. And with an ABV below 5%, it is nice sometimes to have several of them at a social gathering.

01-20-2008 22:25:24 | More by mltobin
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz. clear bottle with no clear freshness information.

a: Crystal clear yellow, apple juice-ish body. Just a sliver of white bubbles around the perimeter. Zero lacing and retention.

s: The aroma is hard to place but certainly not pleasing. Sweet and sour, smells sort of like a skunk.

t: The flavor is weak, I mean "subtle." Vague grain flavor, sweet malt, bitter bite in the finish, but no real hop flavor.

m: Lightly carbonated water with food coloring.
Yeah, it has a light body.

d: Utterly undrinkable if not ice cold. Lime/lemon/orange greatly enhances the experience by masking what little flavor the beer has. Perhaps its just a case of highly effective marketing, but given the proper situation (ie: on a beach with a girl in a bikini within reach) this can be an enjoyable beverage. I can't imagine buying it, there are so many better Mexican beers and if you are looking for a refreshing macro lager, this is a poor choice. Plus, for the price you could get any of your local micro brews.

01-16-2008 17:31:52 | More by BradLikesBrew
DoubleJ

The canned version of Corona was bland enough, but the bottled version has the potential to wreck havoc to my tastebuds thanks to its skunk promoting bottle. Again, I poured the sample into a glass without lime. All I gotta say is the bottle isn't any better. It isn't "spit-out" bad, there's just little there. Skunked spicy hops seem to take on the most flavor in the beer, which is almost like a light beer.

Conclusion: stay off the bandwagon and spend your money on something better.

01-16-2008 03:04:40 | More by DoubleJ
MisterClean

1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Poured light golden, no head, and carbonation dissipates quickly. Keep in mind, I usually pour 2 fingers in a pint glass.

S - Matly, ricy, grainy, with alochol scent.

T - Spicy, but no distinct flavors jump out, a little bitter.

M - Over carbonated on mouth when little was evident in the bottle. Mild alcohol flavors.

D - Would go better with a lime, but even that is pushing it. Could not finish beer. :(

01-15-2008 04:58:06 | More by MisterClean
armock

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

I'm doing this review without the aid of a lime wedge to alter the experience.

A - Poured a straw yellow color with a white head that dissipates to a ring around the glass

S - Is of skunky grainy malt

T - Grainy malt this would be better with some lime flavor

M - This is a light to medium bodied beer

D - Without a lime this is a horrible beer I haven't had this beer in a few years until now and I wasn't missing anything

01-14-2008 22:25:22 | More by armock
mooseisloose

Welcome to the beach. This is where this beer makes its marks. 90 degrees in the shade and 90 percent humidity. There it has a place as a wet refresher, I guess. I might go for water. The bottle smell is pure corn. The color is evident in the bottle, no glass needed. The taste is dry, good for the heat but not for the beer conasiuer. Pure flat hopping on a corn base. The mouthfeel has the right carbonation so that may be the best of this brew. The drinkability is very questionable, after drinking this I have a sudden slight headache. I think I got sucked in by the propaganda. They should show somebody mowing the lawn then imbibing this swill. Then showing them going for water to wash it down.

01-12-2008 06:37:55 | More by mooseisloose
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +25.5%

Lots of fuss about this brew,seems like a favorite among everyone,i think the novelty is wearing down now.Pours a lite yellow clear color with a decent white head,lots of bubbles and fizz,left some mild lacing.The nose is where it hurts,strong skunk smell,and lingers for awhile,some mild grains and old corn comes at you.Taste is not that bad though,way better than what it smells like,quite crisp and refreshing,mild grainy grass and corn comming thru,got quite a bit of carbonation,like drinking a pop,would be good on a hot summer day,didn't really mind this one.Will have again,maybe try it with a next time.

01-06-2008 00:30:52 | More by GrimmReaper
pwoods

3.45/5  rDev +49.4%

12oz. clear bottle. Consumed from the bottle with a lime. This is how it's intended to be drank(now) so that's how I'll review it.

A: Pale yellow and crystal clear. Similar to clear lemonade. Lots and lots of bubbles.

S: Before adding the lime wedge, I poured a bit into a glass to get a sent. Nothing much at all. A tiny bit of grain, maybe? A bit of herbal notes. With the lime in the bottle, that's all you get.. lime.

T/M: For the style and with the lime from the bottle, it's not absolutely terrible. Tastes like highly carbonated limeaid. Why would you want to beer that tastes like limeaid you ask? You could ask the same about IPA's and grapefruit. Mouthfeel is very light and highly carbonated... very good if your in the mood for something very light.

D: One of the easiest beers to drink. This beer gets dumped on so much and I guess it deserves some of it, but, if you're in the mood for something light and something you can just suck down when you're hot and thirsty, then this isn't a bad choice. I'll admit to purchasing a 6er every few months.

01-01-2008 00:49:11 | More by pwoods
rrob311

New Hampshire

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

This is the trendy mexican beer that people who dont know mexican beer drink. People get laughed at for drinking this. It is brewed by Modelo and from what I hear it is their worst brew.

A- appearance is normal.

S- smells kind of funky personally I don't like it.

T- tastes like cheap, thin, mexican beer, many people say that the workers piss in it. I hope that is a myth cuz I dont know what piss tastes like.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I don't drink this beer, I might have 1 if it was given to me and ice cold.

12-31-2007 22:15:41 | More by rrob311
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.