Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

Corona Extra.
Full disclosure: I'm reviewing this because I couldn't bring myself to part with a primo brew to add to the chile I'm making.
appearance: dull yellow. With 50 reviews under my belt I'm appreciating appearance more and more. Never noticed how drab this was.
smell: Not as bad to me as some of the other reviews but South of average.
taste: If this is very cold, despite my new found beer snobbery, it'll do.
Bottom line is I really like beer so even a sub par beer ain't so bad.

cindyjeffsmith, Mar 07, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +3%

A - Very faint yellow. Slightly below average sized, white head. Disappears fast and leaves really no head.

S - Some light grainy, corn malt.

T - Similar to the smell. A lot of corn sweetness. Slight mineral and skunky taste.

M - Light and carbonated.

D - Light and easy to drink but flavor isn't great. Typical to its style.

Notes: Pretty similar to other beers of its style. Not great, but there are some occasions that it would fit well in. Never really a supporter of fruit pieces in beer, but a slice of citrus isn't a bad addition to this.

FreshHawk, Feb 28, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

This is not as good a beer as I thought it would be. You MUST shove a lime wedge in the neck of the bottle to fully enjoy it and it really should be a summer, beach beer. Not that good a taste and also not that drinkable. Not worth it, get something better if you want a lighter lager.

smithza9, Feb 27, 2010
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 25, 2010). A buddy had a few macro brews in his fridge, so I took this and an MGD 64 to review just for the heck of it.

I've had corona before, but always very cold and always with a lemon or lime wedge. I'm reviewing this without the fruit, as a beer must stand alone when reviewed.

Eyes: Pours a light yellow color, no haze. A fizzy head forms and drops with no lacing.

Nose: It smells skunky, with grain and old plastic.

Tongue: A grainy, cereal skunky taste with all too much bitterness for the flavor. I want my lemon wedge!

Mouth: A lot of carbonation pops up from the etched logo at the bottom of the glass, and it tastes that way also.

Libation: A watery mess that I simply can't drink unless I mash citrus into the glass. Surprisingly bitter for the lack of flavor. It's really surprising the popularity this beer.

OttoBomb, Feb 26, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -39.4%

Corona... the only beer that looks and smells the same going in AND coming out!!!

I will not drink Corona with lime!
I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not drink it in the rain.
I will not drink it on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I would not drink it in a box.
I would not drink it with a fox.
I will not drink it in a house.
I would not drink it with a mouse.
I would not drink it here or there.
I would not drink it ANYWHERE!!!

I do not like Corona and lime...
I do not like it Sam I am!

cbarrett4, Feb 21, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

I hate this beer. It is not worth anyone's time to try. It's not good with a lime. It lacks everything (drinkability, carbonation, flavor, flavor, flavor, oh yeah and flavor!). It tastes very bitter and not balanced at all in the flavor profile, so therefore I have no choice but to give this beer a failing grade.

Note: also, why would we need a lime to make this beer taste good? Should be a red flag right there, it's a bad beer all the way.

RyanBelle, Feb 15, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

First of all, there is WAY too much hype around Corona. Amazing the affects a huge marketing budget has on consumer behavior in America. This is nothing more than an over priced American style lager. One Saturday in college we actually did a blind taste test to see if anyone could tell the difference between a Miler High Life with a wedge of lime or a corona with lime and alas nobody knew the difference. As a matter of fact, I actually preferred the High Life over Corona.

pasdachuri, Feb 05, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

where do i start. oh boy this has to be one of the worst beer ive ever had, skunky, un appetising, yet morons drink this all night long. Its appearance is extremely pale, though it is packaged in a nice looking bottle, shame that. little to no taste, though perhaps you could compare it to dirty water. Very light texture in mouth though not smooth at all. Drinkable, i guess if only option and basically you just want to get wasted, then i would consider it. 2 thumbs down.

dinnersd, Feb 05, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I grew up drinking this....er, stuff.
If you actually poured this beer in a glass, you've just wasted water and detergent.
No head, no lace.
Piss like color. Well, ok, light straw, and transparent.
Nose....having a clear bottle and some hops, is pure skunk. It kinda gives it some personallity, and for some people this is what beer actually should smell like.
Taste...well, some sweet malt, some hop biterness....whatever.
Mouthfeel...one step above carbonated water.
Nice after a good jog in a hot beach, ice cold. And it can get you drunk cheaply. Other than that, no point in drinking this.

yourdudeness, Feb 04, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
pale urine like colour. slightly sweet smell. starts off with a frothy head that quickly diminishes. no lacing whatsoever. tastes flat and bland its only distinctive feature is a very average sweet citrusy flavour. for me it's a very unenjoyable beer to have but it always manages to make an appearance at parties. this is the one time it may be accecptable to drink it. also i wouldn't even attempt to drink it unless it's ice cold :(

kilks, Feb 01, 2010

Poured from a bomber size bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date on the clear bottle. No head at all. Clear, pale yellow color. Smells is distinct, almost like rotten vegetables. Flavor is pretty flat nothing really sticks out. I can see why salt and citrus are often used when drinking Corona. Pardon me while I chug this while it is cold.

mtnbikerpa, Jan 28, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +16%

A 940 mL caguama purchased at the Mega outside of Bucerias.

A: The lager is pale and yellow, a straw color that seems paler than just about every other beer I've had this week. Small patches of lace are slowly drying.

S: Little nose, if any, wafts out of the glass. A hint of corn, some sweetness, but not much else.

T: The taste seems to parallel the nose, offering up corn and not much else. Grains and adjuncts drive the flavor, offering little else. A sickly sweetness lingers in the mouth.

M: Familiar? More like a haunting nightmare. Much like Corona Extra, this is an uninviting lager.

D: I split the caguama with three people and am luckier for it.

***

A bottle served with lunch at La Palma in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Lime promptly discarded.

A: The lager is fizzy and yellow, exactly as intended. A small ring of white head sits contentedly.

S: The nose is mild, highlighted by a sweet corn aroma. The nose is best when cold, as it tends to mask the adjuncts.

T: Again, the lager is best when cold, delivering a refreshing blast that lacks substance. As it warms, the corn and pale malts become more evident. As a result, the lager heads downhill. So drink it while it's cold! Hops? Someone forgot to add 'em. A good hot weather beer.

M: The fizziness of the beer is a plus, removing the bland flavors on each sip.

D: It's a hot day out, so I won't say no to another.

akorsak, Jan 20, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -10%

It would be wrong to call this a beer but its a classical lager non the less. If you dont know what a Corona is, you dont know much. For many this is the first beer that isn't all about chemicals but still its not much more then that.
A is legit, it looks good and nothing special about that. Period.
S: Well, its not bad but its barley anything.
T: As with everything else with this beer, it dosent really happen much. Standard feeling for this kind of beer. Its cheep and it feels.
M: Same as above.. What mouthfeel? Its barely noticeable (compared to another beer in the same class).
D: For me this must be the most easy thing to drink. Its almost insane how smooth they have gotten this yellow liquid!

This bewared splits me in two. Before i became "enlighten" i though this was a good think to drink. The problem is just that! I have liked this and without it i would never attack the finner things of the industry. This "philosophic" thinking may go on a while but i will hold my ground right here.. You can read 30 different reviews and you will get 30 different opinions..!

erikwibaeus, Jan 17, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +97%

Firstly, i believe most people on this site love "heavy, dark, robustly flavorful" beers. I personally feel this site is kind of biased.

I love coronas with lime. I can drink it all night. Its delicious and refreshing. Sure its not malty or hoppy. Its like a lime soda with a smooth after taste of limey.

Don't get me wrong, I love heavy beers too. Dogfish head 90 ipa and sam adams ocktoberfest are someone of my favorite beers. I just dont understand why this beer got such low ratings, go similar ratings as most beers in anheiser busch.

I am a proud supporter of coronas and im not mexican btw lol.

unkk33, Jan 15, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +38.5%

Serving glass: Poured from can into clear plastic cup (on the plane to Maui).

Appearance: Pale yellow with stark white head and, surprisingly, some lacing.

Smell: Very sweet smelling. Actually smells like a Pilsner (apple, grains, spicy hops) but a little too sweet.

Taste: Tastes like a very light, but sweet, Pilsner, with apple, grainy malts and a light pepper finish. Can't really taste the adjuncts but maybe the sweetness is the giveaway.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body but is actually somewhat smooth.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and, unlike most adjunct lagers, can actually taste the Pilsner roots. I hadn't had this in years and expected to hate it. I was pleasantly surprised and prefer this over most macros. Maybe it helped that it was from a can instead of the clear bottles I had in the past.

bsp77, Jan 13, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

I thought this beer was at least okay a few years ago but after drinking nothing but craft for the last couple years I was surprised at how bad this was. We now what it looks like, foamy head dissipates quickly leaving almost no trace of lacing. Aroma offers Munich malt, corn adjuncts and booze. Taste is more corn cereal, German malts and little to no hops. Carbonation is excessive and sharp. Finish is moderately dry. Overall lacking real flavor.

natelocc787, Jan 11, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Very drinkable, this is a good beer to have for tail-gating. However, it has very little flavor, and does not really compare with better beer. This beer is good with a lime or lemon, some people like to add some margarita salt on the bottle top. This beer is also known as "Panther Piss." This beer is not at the top of my list.

StevenBilodeau, Jan 08, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer is simply water. It is not as bad as some, i.e. Miller Light with Lime but is only better because its flavor is not repulsive. It is a fine drink for those who do not like beer but if you are looking for malt or hops you should stay away. Overall this is a brew for those whom do not like beer, or simply wish to party and have no need for quality.

Eisen, Jan 03, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle with lime slice.
There isn't much to say about this beer. It is a very plain and generic looking beer. It is hardly different in flavor than similar beers, such as Bud (although it may beat out having a Bud Light Lime). It's not a terrible beer to have if you out to a Mexican restaurant, but probably not my first choice.

Cubsfan1087, Jan 02, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

bomber with a lime in it.

this is a slight improvement over the light version. the body is darker and there is a little more of a discernible taste to the beer. do I want to drink this? no. but given a choice, i guess I would take the extra over most american adjuncts, except regular budweiser, as long as I was eating tex-mex.

erz316, Jan 01, 2010

I don't know why this beers gets some much hype.. Its horrible... This is one of 3 beers someone can offer me for free and I would decline.
Again this beer is crap, gets alot of hype, tastes like crap and is priced the same as Bass Ale in the supermarket... What gives?

foles75, Dec 30, 2009

A. very plain in its appearance. its bright yellow color is not to be desired.

S. there is little to no aroma to this type of beer, unless you add lime to it like most people do.

T. with out the lime it is very bland. with the lime it is better but then you're spitting out pulp most of the time.

M. nothing special about the mouthfeel

D. this is just another beer to use to get drunk with.

MadElf25, Dec 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +64.5%

One of the last beers you can count on to be skunky, if you like that. It taste almost exactly like Miller used to taste (corn and clear bottles?), at least that's how I remember it. The beer does look pretty in that bottle. It isn't bad. I got a case as a gift and I'm not complaining.

lanechaffin, Dec 27, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A beer haiku for you:

Ubiquitous beer;
Why embarrass Mexico?
"Bud Light" in Spanish!

Ah, the first Holiday guests just came bearing gifts...the Corona Gift Twelve Pack. Obviously, the only open liquor store must have been a convenience store....
For the great unwashed, this is beer heaven. For the balance of us--a stop in purgatory.

Cheers!

johnwarne, Dec 24, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

drabmuh, Dec 18, 2009
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.