Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev +3.9%

Served in a chilled glass, no lime added.

Apperance - The beer pours a golden yellow, not 100% clear, but fairly decent. The beer pours with about 1 finger of head that quickly disappears. The carbonation levels are very faint.

Smell - I can pick up some grass and faint hops, there is not much else offered to this beer. There is an "odd" smell, quite unique to Corona.

Taste - Easy drinking beer, not much offered to the taste buds. Same thing, picked up some hops, that "odd" smell turns into taste. There is no aftertaste or bitterness to this beer.

Mouthfeel - There is not much added to the carbonation levels, very clean and crips tasting beer.

Drinkability - I do not mind this beer, maybe cause it's a decent advertising campaign. Not something I would die for but do stock.

1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Corona! It's just a nasty brew that shouldn't be allowed to touch your lips.

A- just a piss yellow with orange hint.

S- smells of piss, and skunk

T- Tastes skunked, tastes like a drunk version of bud light

M- light and no carbonation

D- you could drink these all day with a lime. :-)

2.68/5  rDev +16%

Buying this, not expecting a whole lot, reading the reviews here.

Pale golden, decent carbonation, average head. Smell of grassy hops, equal to the taste: malts and yeast, with common hops, but also soapy and chemical.
Watery light.
This beer tries to please the palate too much: it's so smooth and easy, it is trying to please me too much: going down, it makes for a very boring experience.

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

The quintassential beach beer. I almost feel bad for reviewing Corona. They were and at times still are in my fridge or cooler in the summer. Anyway, Color is not impressive, pale yellow. The smell is not enticing at all, almost smells sour. Taste needs the lime. As a matter of fact, it would really bad without the citrus element. As with many of the "beach beers", really cold is the way to quaff this beer. Good thing? You drink 20 of these if so inclined.

1.43/5  rDev -38.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

As soon as the top came off the bottle I smelled
Skunk! What a first impression! It went down
from there. I let it set a minute after pouring
hoping the skunky smell would dissipate as the
beer breathed in the glass. It didn't.

Small head that disappeared in seconds. No lacing
at all. Even the little bubble ring went away in less
than a minute. This beer was close to flat in a very
short time.

If the skunky smell and taste had gone away I would
have bothered to try and pick up some fragrances
and taste. I couldn't get past the skunkyness to review
any further.

In order to not waste what was left in the glass I did
what I've seen my Mexican friends do with a Corona,
I had to fruit the sucker. I added lime juice and opened
a package of TGI Friday's Jalapeno potato skins and some
hot salsa.

I have to say I've had a Corona before (being from Houston)
and I don't recall it being this bad.

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. God help me...

A: A fairly aggressive pour yields only a half-inch of fleeting white head, but plenty of nigh-rice-krispies level fizziness. No retention, no lace; nothing but a thin ring of froth around the rim of the clear pale-gold body. Thoroughly boring.

S: Water, corn, and store-brand breakfast cereal. Not skunked, somehow, but exceedingly light, non-descript, and mind-numbing. Thin, sharp, weak, and forgettable.

T: What taste? It takes a while before I finally start to pick up corn, grain, Wonder-bread, and a decidedly mineral-heavy finish. Pretty bad, but, again, not skunked and not obviously off. Just weak and boring.

M: Watery and full of carbonation that's sharp as tacks. Terrible, but I'll give it a half-point above the minimum since I'm pretty sure that "watery" is appropriate to the style.

D: Not great, even for an adjunct lager. It's so damn watery that it isn't really a challenge to drink, but it's also a little harsh compared to a lot of other offerings in the same ballpark. Compared to the PBR I reviewed last week, this one is a chore to finish.

Notes: I was actually kind of hoping that this bottle would be skunked so I could write a genuinely scathing review of this piss-poor excuse for a beer, but instead I'm forced to admit that Corona, un-skunked, is just a sub-par example of a sub-par style. I can see how it's extreme lack of body would make it easy to drink in copious amounts, but I can't really see the pleasure in that. If I want to get drunk on the beach, I'll stick with tequila shots and rum drinks, thank you very much.

Cheers!

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

poured out of a big 22oz bottle. I got pounded at work today and I need something cheap from south of the border. Enter Corona.

Pours out with a golden color, head disappears instantaneously. Uneven forced carbonation is present.

So then there was the smell. Its gotta be the clear bottle. Holy skunky sulfury mess Batman. As soon as you crack it open that smell attacks the nose. It does not go away. I can smell grains and what had been some decent hops that got spanked by light shock.

Taste: Very grainy, sulfury, and grassy. The sulfur kick is not pleasing but Heineken can be the same way.

Very light an watery. Its lawnmower beer and it accomplishes the wet your whistle mission. Drinkability is high if you are blitzed, not so much unless you can stomach the smell.

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

This was leftover from a party we hosted a couple weeks ago... Wanted something light to finish off the night so opted for this one.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden colour, thin layer of head with no retention and no lacing.

S - Sweet corn and grassy hops.

T - Dominated by sweet corn with a grassy finish. A bit of sour citrus as well (note I did not add a lime to it).

M - Watery but finishes nice and wet.

D - I would take any Canadian macro over a Corona, but it's still beer and I love all beer, so I can't hate on it too much. I mean let's face it, this beer is coming from a country which doesn't even have the cleanest water so how can their beer be all that good. One thing they have done well is commercialized the hell out of it, so I gotta give credit where it's due.

1.6/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This is anything but good. I wouldn't even drink this in sweltering heat in the summer like the commercials suggest. I honestly don't even know how to describe it but it's a bit skunky and doesn't even taste like beer. It's borderline syrupy to me? Never again, that's all I know.

1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Does the nose of lime is due to the scents of the beverage or just the citrus that automatically served with Corona, I do not know. Anyway, the taste is that of the bottom floor of Adjuncts lagers. Just a little stale cereal in his mouth to support the citrus taste and recalled as a little cactus juice. Finish unconvincing and without great power that recalls both the corn and not too fresh cactus juice. One wonders just how the joke is able to penetrate all markets. Just a little poor thing.

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - lite yellow with a thin white soda like head. Lots of carbonation bubbles are visible.

Smell - Very faint smell of pennies and corn.

Taste - Medicinal, Metallic, and grains in the background.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and thin mouthfeel. Almost like Topo Chico.

Drinkability - Not very drinkable. The medicinal taste is the biggest problem. The high carbonation also doesn't help.

Notes - Maybe a drain pour. Ill see how much of the 32oz bottle I can drink.

1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. Not sure what the point of that is, considering that this doesn't really form a head or produce lacing and I can tell its color by looking through the bottle. Color is golden. No head. Nose is skunky hops. That's about it. Light with a lot of carbonation. I can see why people like to lime this up. Faint whiff of light bread. Not really much like beer and what is does not taste good.

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours the lightest pale straw color i've seen in a beer... active bubbles, minimal head. Scent is light, watery with very very very faint notes of straw and hop extract. Taste is also extremely pale, with faint notes of pale straw and hop extract. One item to note, the scent and taste is so faint that there is not much there to signify any cooked vegetable adjunct notes. Light bodies, moderately active carbonation, dry. Not a fantastic beer by any means, but manages to avoid too many off notes. Note: really goes taste better with lime.

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

I strongly believe that a good beer will taste great on its own. If it needs a little assistance with other accouterment, then it's usually a red flag. Since Corona is always served with a lime, it should come as no surprise that this beer is not the best beer available. I've tried Corona without the lime and I quickly understood why the lime was necessary. Without the lime, I found it to be undrinkable. The lime added a nice citrus flavor that made it a little bit more palatable. But the only saving grace of this beer is that it pairs quite nicely it Mexican food. So, the next time you're at a cantina enjoying some carne asada tacos, get yourself a Corona. For all other occasions, drink something else.

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured out a can with no lime. Beer has a soapy looking head, pale yellow lots of fizz. Smells sweet, some processed corn and faintly smells of apply juice. Weird. Taste is sort of cloying and corn syrupy. Some mild bitterness and some annoying bitter seltzer aftertaste, which contributes to the lame mouthfeel. I have no idea why or how this beer got as popular as it is, oh yeah, when you cover up the terribie skunkiness with a lime, you get the idea...

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

330ml bottle poured into pint glass nov1 2010

A clear pale straw yellow with a very fast falling fingers worth of head that leaves lace for the small part of the glass the head occupied

S skunk to the point of a whiff of weed and some corn

T what I smell but with a foul chemical taste that just adds to the already poor flavor

M thin and well carbonated but the lingering flavors leave something to be desired

D hard too enjoy a beer that tastes crappy

perhaps the industry standard in lousy skunked beer and sadly I doubt anyone can avoid it until the day they die. everyone eats a pound of dirt and everyone drinks a pint of Corona

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

24 oz. can purchased for around $2.25 in Easthampton, MA on 10/26/2010.

A- Poured aggressively reveals a thin, extremely bubbly seltzer-like head of about 1 finger. Dissipates quickly leaving small bubbles in what I can only explain as an "attempted" lacing on the glass. Color is the color of bright hay in the sun- nearly see-through. Average appearance for your average light beer.

S- Sulphuric borderline vegetable smells, faint aroma of floral interpretations. Where the hell are the malts & hops? adjunct city here.

T- Is this water? Tastes like a seltzer with some corn & rice thrown in with a tonic-like aftertaste reminiscent of astringent horehound, but less quenching. Bitter ending, but not bitter like us hopheads like. Might as well buy a seltzer water and add some overcooked sticky rice and corn kernels.

M- Completely average for the adjunct style. Thin & clean.

D- 'On a summer day, pound away, On an autumn night, throw away'. Judging against my seasonal feelings, during summer this beer is better than your average cooler-stuffers to wash down things like barbecued chicken & burgers. So watery, it gives the false illusion of hydration.

Overall, let's face it. This is a corporate mexican beer w/ a ton of advertising that's only tolerable outside of summer if you're a New Englander like me who wants to pretend we're in the tropics during Winter (but only when 7 lime wedges are squeezed and stuck in the glass.)

This will be the last time I pay money for this swill.

2.08/5  rDev -10%

My 2 bottles of Corona Extra participated in flip cup and beer pong along with some Miller Lite, which honestly was better. Don't let anyone lie to you; Corona isn't better just because it's more expensive. It's still a piss color beer made from corn that sits in your guts the next day creating havoc on your system. It makes you realize the real power of branding.

The appearance is a pale yellow, strawlike, filtered and clear. No head or lacing really. Smells and tastes like water with a tiny semblance of malt maybe. Some spices involved I guess. Hard to tell. I feel like if I don't drink it cold I'll never get it down. Outside of carbonation there's nothing that's not light about it, even in it's "extra" form, and it's grossness really prevents any drinkability whatsoever.

I never thought I'd say to myself that I'd rather have a Miller Lite. I'm amazed.

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pale straw yellow, with absolutely no head to speak of. Looks like slightly yellowed water.

S: Not much of one at all. Maybe some cereal grains and a hint of maltiness.

T: See what I wrote for smell above. A little bit of a corn taste and some slight sweetness. Calling it maltiness is an insult to malts.

M: Refreshing enough, if you can get past the taste.

D: I can (and have) drank many of these in a sitting before, but I never had the nerve to try one without a lime. At least the lime adds some character and helps cover up the lack of flavor/skunkiness.

I never understood why this is the most famous "beach beer" or what genius decided that a clear bottle was a good choice for beers that you're going to drink while sitting out in the sun. Either way, do yourself a favor and avoid this beer whenever possible. There are many more refreshing beers that aren't skunked and cost less.

A- Looks a little like urine.

S- Skunk, metallica lemon zest

T- Bad. Skunky, grainy, sour, corn.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- I would not drink this anymore. I couldnt even pound many of these cold.

Crap beer, hard to imagine something this bad is the third most purchased beer in the world. Even when I knew nothing about good beer, I never actually liked this, and that says a lot.

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

A- Pale yellow.

S- To me it smelled like skunk cabbage or marijuana with a little bit of corn. Mabey its just me but it smells really odd.

T- Boring. Just tastes like straight up corn and not much else. Its not bad, just really boring.

D- Average.

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Drank straight up from the bottle.

A - Looks very clear pale yellow.

S - Predominantly corn with hints of other grains.

T - Again corn dominates with slight alcohol bitterness towards the finish.

M - Light bodied with average carbonation.

D - Summer drink when nothing else is available but other than that very simple beer with almost nothing in it.

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer has a lot of following, but I am not impressed. Poured into my chilled, but not frozen mug, it produced a two finger very white head of thin bubbles that dissipated in less than twenty seconds. Its color is that of light amber, rating a 4 on the SRM chart. Smells like roasted corn and malt, with a hint of lime. Tastes, what there is of it, like little to nothing, maybe a bit of yeast, sweet malt, and corn. Very weak in the mouthfeel department, watery, with just some carbonation. Sorry someone will have to pay for my next round of this brew. Maybe good for yard work, but not food, as it does not lend any real flavor to enhance anything.

1.25/5  rDev -45.9%

This is a thin, very poor beer, in my opinion. The appearance is watery, poor carbonation, does not give a good head. It's smell is, I hate to use so negative a term, but, simply put, rank. I actually checked the dating to make certain it wasn't very old.

The taste is watery, with that rank touch hinted at by its aroma, and it felt very flat to me. The best I can come to describing its taste is to say it is reminiscent of watered down, flat beer. If there is any flavor, it is corn, but it is hard to find much distinctive about it. Again, there was that rank flavor that left a bitter aftertaste, almost a medicinal taste. Never have I been so disappointed by a beer.

I suppose it is so popular with the not-really-old-enough-to-drink-yet crowd because it is cheap, and because, having a limited reference as far as beer goes, they do not know a good beer when they taste one.

3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

I used to smuggle cases of this stuff back from Mexico when I was a teen. Oh, the memories..

A - Pale straw, thin white head, leaves immediately. Some cling lace.

S - Sulfur is there, as described in prior posts. Corn husks, corn proper big components too. Faint graininess. A little skunky

T - Corn prevails. I like corn and all. Some grain and biting bitter hops at finish.

M - Light bodied, light carb....light everything.

D - Ok, still has a spot in my heart. Cold one on a hot day.. OK.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.