Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

330 mL can poured into a plastic cup on the airplane.

Never had Corona from a can, only from their clear bottles . . .

A: thin and yellow but a bit more colour than some of the other lagers. Not to be a downer, but it's very much the colour of urine--or straw.

S: some corn/maize in with the typical 'beer' smell.

T: Corona has a sharp flavour, a slight sweetness upfront but followed by an immediate flat bitterness. There's not much complexity though. You can pick up some corn in the flavour as well (though not sure if that's the adjunct they use).

M: fizzy and carbonation; light yet some substance to the mouthfeel.

O: Out of the 'crappy lager' category, this is one of my preferred.

2.97/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured into a Pilsner glass from a brown Familiar bottle, which I brought back from the Yucatan Peninsula on my honeymoon....in 2007. This review is NOT from notes taken back then; we actually split this bottle of beer this weekend to celebrate nearly 4 wonderfully happy years of marriage and the 5 de Mayo weekend.

Opened the bottle expecting silence, and yet there was a definite pop and hiss as a bit of vapor came out of the cold bottle.

A: Pale straw colored body with thick (really?) white head. I honestly cannot believe that there is head on this beer! Head is retained for a while, leaving a little bit of lace on the sides.

N: This will determine how much lemon I will need to add; I hold the beer to my nose, take a deep whiff and discover the scent of corn, sweet malty biscuits, and a slight scent of lemon zest...lemon zest?! WTF?! This beer traveled in a suit case 3 years ago, in the tropical heat, from damn near the equator to northern CA, and it does not smell like skunk! I am not going to even add lemon to this (yet).

T/M: The taste follows the nose with a bit of sweet malts and corn. Light and dry mouthfeel, the cold carbonation is refreshing after a spring day of yard work.

My blushing bride (hey...it was the honeymoon!) and I had picked up this bottle in Tulum to drink on the beach, but never got around to it b/c it lost its chill and we had no way of cooling it down. We ended up bringing it back to the US with us because I did not know what else to do with it. It had sat in the back of the cupboard for several years because neither of us are really huge fans of Corona beer. We only decided to drink it because we thought it would be funny to see how much the beer had degraded.

I cannot believe that this bottle was drinkable! There was absolutely nothing wrong with this beer, and it tasted better than the Corona Extra someone had brought fresh from the store to the Pacquiao/Mosley fight-party last night. It really goes to show you how much the clear bottle degrades the product that it contains. There were no skunky notes to our Familiar bottle despite its massive journey.

1.99/5  rDev -13.9%

A: a pale gold. a dense bubbly head with some retention. sparse medium sized carbonation bubbles can be seen through a very clear body.

S: a definitive skunk aroma. slight metallic. thank you clear glass.

T: i am struggling to find any sweetness in this. more of an effervescence that keeps the palate from finding any flavor. very dry.

M: an uncomfortably light body with a hard carbonation.

D: now i see why people throw a lime in this bitch, to give it some kind of flavor. classically uneventful.

2.91/5  rDev +26%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Bright golden yellow with lots of rising bubbles. Small white head with decent retention. Small amount of lacing.

Smell: Corn, grains, pale malts, and a hint of hops in the background. Skunkiness also lingers around.

Taste: Sweet malts, corn, and grain up front followed by a light hint of hop bitterness. Slightly sour.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with a medium to high carbonation. Light and crisp.

Overall: Fairly refreshing and drinkable with no offensive taste but I'm not a fan of the skunk. I'll drink it again but wouldn't seek it out.

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Very light, almost clear yellow. Carbonation bubbles continuously rise to the top of the beer.

Smell: The smell is similar to any other adjunct lager but with a slightly strong corn smell.

Taste: I understand why many serve this beer with a lime; there really isn't much of a taste other than a hint of sour yeast.

Mouth feel: Light and watery but refreshing. This beer is incredible easy to gulp.

Overall: This certainly isn't the worst beer in the world but it lacks personality in just about every aspect. The one saving grace is its drink-ability. This is one of those beers you chug after mowing your lawn on a hot summer day. If this was a bargain price beer, I might even recommend it for such an occasion. It may be worth trying once on a hot summer day at the beach. Otherwise, it should be avoided.

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a nice looking one and a half finger head, but I'm sure it will be gone soon. The head is completely white, and the body is yellow and completely see through, it also has more carbonation than any beer I can seen in a long time. The body is also completely transparent, the head is pretty much gone, but not to the bare bone, it holds on a little bit which is good. Overall it looks like an adjunct lager, nothing impressive here. The first thing I pick up on the nose is skunk, this is a skunky beer for sure, too bad too, because I think I can actually detect some hops behind that skunk, which is rare for a adjunct lager, after that I smell some sweet malt. I have to give it some credit for having a hop characteristic to it, but for the most part, it's not going to be a good beer because of that skunk. Well it's hard to dissect any flavor out from underneath that skunk flavor, but if I had to it would be that little bit of hops and tiny bit of malt. The skunk just totally overpowers this beer. It's not a god awful taste, like some adjunct lagers have, but it's not a good taste. I mean it's drinkable, and somewhat refreshing, but for the most part it's all skunk. The mouthfeel is very interesting, it has a very fizzy, maybe even thick mouthfeel, so...it's not a typically "good" mouthfeel, but I'll give it some points for being creative. Overall, it doesn't have many good qualities, but it is a unique beer, even if it is because it's so skunky. People always say "Corona and lime" for a reason, it's because it has a unique taste (that tastes happens to go well with limes, but that's aside the point). This isn't a good beer, but I don't want to call it a bad beer, despite what my numbers say, it's drinkable and unique. Fine maybe it is a bad beer, but it's above some of the other bad beers.

12 oz bottle served in a... bottle. I mean, who pours out an American Adjunct Lager? Really?

Look: clear, golden body visible through the bottle. As I drink, a bit of lacing is left on the interior of the bottle for a few seconds.

Smell: smells like pale malt, adjuncts and a mild skunkiness.

Taste: follows the nose with pale malt, corny adjunct, and a hint of skunky hoppiness.

Feel: light bodied, crisp carbonation and easy for a sessionable beer.

Overall: despite the nostalgia I have for Corona, drinking it on summer nights at the beach before I could legally buy beer, this isn't particularly good. Fairly thirst quenching though and okay as for as American Adjunct Lagers go and okay for drinking on a hot day, but if I had my druthers I would've been drinking pretty much anything else. Cheers!

1.81/5  rDev -21.6%

Finally decided to review this one as I'd had it several times over the years, most recently last night at Old Chicago for the annual Cinco De Mayo mini tour. Poured a clear yellow color with no head and no lacing. No aroma whatsoever. Taste was pretty much just sweet malt--too sweet, in my opinion. I guess I could do this on a hot summer day but definitely one I won't buy a sixer of.

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

A - This beer pours a very pale yellow straw color. It has a small 1-finger white fizzy head on it. The head fizzled out quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. There are plenty of rising carbonation bubbles visible as well.

S - It smells of pale malts and corn adjunct. There is also a small touch of hop presence as well. It pretty much smells like your average adjunct lager, but the smell is less offensive to me than many of the other adjunct lagers out there.

T - The taste is sweet pale malts and corn adjuncts up front. There is also a bit of a sour taste in the background, and some hop presence as well. The finish is actually pretty clean, and leaves just a bit of earthy bitterness and a touch of sourness behind.

M - This has a light body and high prickly carbonation. It goes down very easy. and leaves some bitterness in the mouth.

O - The drinkability actually isn't all that bad. It goes down easy, and is pretty good for an adjunct lager. It is one of the least offesnive of the style that I've had.

1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Through the clear bottle the viewer greeted with a straw yellow beer.
Any aroma from malt, adjuncts, or hops is overpowered by the skunk of this beer.
However, there is something about that skunked taste that goes really well with a taco or some enchiladas and might be the only saving grace for this otherwise pathetic beer.
Despite its high adjuncts, skunked smell, and skunked taste there is something about a long summer day that can make this still an enjoyable beer.

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Mediocre Beer from the Firm Fridge series of reviews:

12 oz. poured into a pint glass.

Pours golden yellow, big bubbles in a white head that I had to pour like crazy to bring out. Some impostor lacing. After a minute or two this is just yellow liquid with a little bit of carbonation streaming to the top.

The skunkiness pounds you in the face as soon as you open the bottle. Good God, no wonder people shove limes in this stuff. No wonder no one ever pours it into a glass. This stuff is reeking from a foot away. It's so overpowering, the skunkiness, that I can't really identify much else in the smell.

Grainy, corn, and whaddaya know - skunk. Some bitterness. Crisp dry finish that some 17-year old deep down inside of me still kind of likes.

Almost aggressive carbonation, crisp mouthfeel. I think this is why people like this one. It's a summer day pounder. Real light bodied and drinkable if you can get around the skunk.

I have one use for Coronas. I might use it in a summer drink - clamato y cerveza. The Corona gets overpowered by the clamato, tapatio sauce, and other secret goodies that I throw in there. Even then, I don't use Corona if I can get hold of Pilsener from El Salvador.

Standing alone, this beer is not great.

3.23/5  rDev +39.8%

a-piss color the morning after to many of these brews
s- a bit skunky,but there are way worse
t-basic,bland, but if ice cold while grilling,can be very refreshing
m-okay,nothing special
overall-i do not mind it.it is over rated but still decent if having more than a couple.plus id rather pass a few of these out than share my private collection

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Adjunct lager clear. Not quite dehydrated urine in color but you should really drink some water if your waste looks like this.

S: Skunky. Sour... I have to add a lime... Ah. There it is. Citrusy and still somehow skunky.

T: I added a lime to kill the natural skunk.

M: Crisp. Nothing to think about except for the pee finish. Refreshing if I am on the beach and need to wash saltwater out of my mouth. However, I am not and I just paid $9 for six of this?

O: A market built around selling skunk beer to the US. Mexicans don't even drink this crap. I will quote a typical beer store customer in the south: "I need a case of MGD and a case of Corona because it is the best beer ever." Nuff said.

1.32/5  rDev -42.9%

In my years of beer drinking I've never had a more terrible beer than Corona. I did have this beer with a lime and without a lime and found that the lime improves the flavor. That isn't by any means a good thing though. Corona is a terribly made lager which is overpriced and made from corn and bottled clear (where it is skunked). No head retention and a very thin mouthfeel. I really don't understand how this beer is so popular when it is so pathetic. Better than Corona light though.

2.4/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A translucent golden yellow. A bunch of bubbles but no head only some minimal lacing around the rim. Nose is all mild, somewhat sour, light grain obviously adjunct. Tastes like sour/grainy water with a lot of carbonation. An extremely light body that can be easily be drank quickly during your typical American BBQ. No lime for this review but i have sadly consumed a good amount w/ Lime and I "like" it a lot better.

2.38/5  rDev +3%

just plain bad not a good beer false advertisement! i mean the taste sucks its skunky leaves a really bad aftertaste the only way to make this beer descent is add to salt and lime, even then its still hard to take down! i rather drink pacifico than this it has more of a smooth slight bitter taste to it than this awful if u want to call it beer

1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Ok, so this beer couldn't be more popular amongst most people. Haven't been able to see what the hype is though. It comes in a clear bottle that doesn't hide anything. It's clear yellow flavor is minimal and the only thing that really gets this beer something special is a lime wedge. That's pretty much it... Without the lime this beer is pretty much worthless to me.

2.46/5  rDev +6.5%

Straight from the bottle. Clear, pale yellow, pretty standard of the style. Quite a bit of skunkiness on the nose, along with sweet corn, pale malt and a whiff of sulfuric lager yeast. Light on the tongue, firm and crisp up front with a mild bready malt profile. Becomes sweeter in the finish with a bit of lingering corn and sulfur. Very little bitterness or flavor in general. Admittedly pretty refreshing, thanks largely to the general lack of flavor. Not a good beer by any means, but enjoyable on certain occasions.

3.25/5  rDev +40.7%

Drinking this one straight out the bottle; no lime.

Appearance: Light in color with fading head.

Aroma: A bit skunky with a faint smell of bottle cap.

Mouthfeel: light and Carbonated.

Taste: Adjunct lager with a bit of metal in it. Its also quite bitter. I think this all depends on how long the bottle has been exposed to light.

Overall: This beer does not hold a candle to any craft beer but it's not suppose to. This is merely a mindless party beer that should be considered as that. Also don't buy this beer in a six pack or by itself. The twelve pack carton is the only way to have this beer taste decent.

3.26/5  rDev +41.1%

A) Golden straw. Brilliantly white head, standing 1/4" tall. Dropped to a ring in no time flat. This gets a high rating because it is exactly what a Lite American Lager should look like. When you resurrect the head, it sounds like snap-crackle-pop

S) A hint of sweet ... I don't know what. Just slightly sweet. There is a smell I can't identify that is unique. I don't think it is skunkiness but I don't really know. I know I should probably smell that.

T) Light blahness with a hint of zingy bitterness but just a touch. So nondescript that I won't search for any more words.

M) Light, not as much carbonation as you might expect from the sounds of the beer but the carbonation is fairly high.

I feel foolish giving this such a high rating, but the truth is, it is pretty close to what I expect in a Lite American Lager and while some are highly offended by it, I can't imagine what exactly they could be offended by. I hardly notice that I'm drinking it.

1.81/5  rDev -21.6%

I've heard so much bad about this beer, so i thought I'd give it a try, to se what i think about it myself.

A skunky smell hits the nose as i open the bottle.
pouring into a glass, the little head disapears right away.

It really does not give much flavour other than carbonated water and dirty coins.

I guess this beer would go down fairly easy, but i don't want to drink anymore than i have to for this review, because if i wanted carbonated water, i would buy that instead.

1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

So I have a large group of friends, some are BA's, some are craft beer enthusiasts, some not so much. One such friend of a friend brought a six pack of Corona to my place, and thankfully drank 5 of them, but one was left. I considered using it to cook with, or just pouring it out. Now, I've had my share of Corona's in my younger days when I did not know any better, but I don't touch the stuff anymore.

Anyhow, figured I might as well review the beer since it's in the fridge, as I have no intentions of buying any more of it ever again.

Poured from a clear 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. The beer pours straw yellow, with a fizzy white head that rose a good two inches, then rapidly faded to nearly nothing.

The beer smells of metal, corn, and skunk (clear bottles, yeah)

Taste, water, corn, dirty pennies, no hops, and liquid skunk. It's cold, and fizzy.

Mouthfeel is sticky, and really carbonated.

Overall, I echo what others already know, this beer sells exceptionally well in the United States, and in a lot of parts of the world, sadly, due to it's tropical apeal ads. I drank this without the lime and in a glass, but the fact they promote the lime, (and to drink from the bottle) so much, you might as well just drink cold sparkling water with a lime in it on a hot day. It would be just as refreshing as the ads claim this beer is, which it was not for me.

2.27/5  rDev -1.7%

Corona, the king of imports. At least in Joe Public's eyes.

This beer pours without any head, rather a slight white fizz. Pale yellow, completely clear.

Not an entirely horrid aroma. Very grainy and grassy. Reminds you of standing in a wet field.

The flavor could certainly be worse. A rather sweet taste, absolutely no bitterness at all. The adjuncts are well hidden. This has a lot of grainy base malt flavor and is shockingly even-keeled. Almost tempting for me to say it is not bad for this style.

The mouthfeel is a horrid mess. Slimy but completely lacking body. Seltzer water, served flat.

After remembering how disgusting Corona Light is, I figured this would also be terrible. It actually shattered my expectations, and forced me to reconcile my preconceived notions about not just beer, but life. Just kidding. It's not THAT good.

2.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Who hasn't had one of these beers. Definitely the quintessential beer of the beach or vacation. Other than those two instances I would not recommend this beer. Obviously, it is best paired with a slice of lime. Drink this beer as cold a possible, when it gets warm it definitely tastes awful. Cheers.

3.4/5  rDev +47.2%

Had this in a can too but prefer it in a bottle. (lime optional)

Appearance is pretty straight forward everyone here refers to it as (piss yellow).

As far as the smell goes it reminds me of the time i hit a skunk with my car.

Taste - Delicious skunk

Once in a while I will have a corona and will enjoy it.

Even though reviews are terrible for this beer, I still rather enjoy it.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.