Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
dsa7783

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

From a typical 12 ounce bottle, poured a golden yellow color with minimal or no head... Served with a lime, this was a nice, refreshing light beer that would go really well on a hot, lazy summer day chilling on the porch or the beach... The flavor is crisp and the lime really complements it... Not much going on with the smell - bland and pretty uninviting but then again, I wasn't expecting much... Mouthfeel and drinkability are decent, and I could down a few of these, but with so many better choices out there to choose from, definitely wouldn't make this a session choice... Overall, I liked it and would drink it again if offered, but I wouldn't run out to buy a sixer...

12-01-2007 12:58:23 | More by dsa7783
vancurly

Australia

1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Coarse white bubbly head, which sinks immediately. Lots of carbonation. Pours a bright golden yellow.
Initial nose of ginger ale, then the adjunct-laden pale malt character.
Bland macro flavour. Watery & characterless... no wonder they shove fruit in it.
Little or no body. Can swish up a touch of a dextrinous mouthfeel, but this fades very quickly.
Dunno whats worse, this or Sol.

11-29-2007 03:49:36 | More by vancurly
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

I used to down these with my buddies every summer at the local Mexican place so I decided to give it another try now that I have been exposed to what beer is supposed to taste like.

This actually didn't pour half bad. The color was a pale golden with a smallish head that faded fairly quickly.

This beer smelled pretty skunky. Kind of a tartness to it as well.

Had quite a watery taste to it and wasn't nearly as good as I remember it being. However, I used to drink this ice cold which I don't do with beer anymore so maybe that has something to do with it. I was hoping to invoke some pleasant memories but I really didn't.

Well, the memories that I had of this beer were fonder than what I experienced this time. It's not a horrible beer or anything but I don't know that I will revisit this one anytime soon.

11-28-2007 22:39:24 | More by Tilley4
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

appearance - Light clear gold color, lot of bubbles. Head didn't stick around.

smell - Has a skunk, and rice smell to it.

taste - Sweet, grainy, rice, and a little bit of hops.

mouthfeel - Light body and carbonated.

drinkability - I use to drink this a long time ago. Brough back memories and the question why.

11-28-2007 17:21:08 | More by auxiliary
stoutordie

Vermont

2.08/5  rDev -10%

I drank this over the summer in the midst of a scorching heat wave with the naive expectation that it would be light and refreshing. Well it was light, but that's about all.
Regretfully I had nothing to pour it into and was forced to drink straight from the 12 oz. bottle. Truthfully, I don't think it would have made much of a difference.
First impression was that there was little smell to the beer. I passed the opening under my nose and wasn't able to pick up much.
The mouth feel was that of a dull soda and had a little too much carbonation for my liking.
There isn't much to say about the taste. It basically tastes like a light lager but with even less flavor. I can see why this is the drink of choice at parties as you hardly notice you're drinking anything. Not a lot of distinct notes. Nothing memorable. There is a quite bitter aftertaste that tastes like salt. Not refreshing...
It is clear after trying this beer that the fancy ads on TV are trying to compensate for the low quality of beer they sell.

11-28-2007 00:34:57 | More by stoutordie
atrus138

Kentucky

1.3/5  rDev -43.7%

I decided to give this beer a fair chance after continually ragging on it. Had this from a clear 12 oz bottle.

Pours a very light amber color with no head and minimal lacing that immediately slides down anyway. Smelled a little like corn with a lot of skunk and some alcohol. Not too much taste, but what taste there is isn't pleasant. The aftertaste of salt doesn't help matters much. Essentially has the consistency of water. If you want me to respect a beer, it had better respect me first.

11-24-2007 06:10:50 | More by atrus138
atomicbolt

Ontario (Canada)

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Don't throw away the lime. I know it's bad beer etiquette, but you'll want to toss it in just to give a bit of character to this lifeless, watery beer. It's a quintessential party drink, and it's more well-known for its branding image than for its qualities as a beer. Plenty of women who hate beer seem to like Corona - go figure, there's not much "beer" in this.

Clear bottle, very pale yellow colour. A bit of a skunky smell. Totally bland on the tongue, just fizzy skunky corn-water, at least the lime gives it a bit of a zip. Quaffs down pretty easily.

Nothing offensive about it, aside from the price - I guess marketing isn't cheap. It's a shame this is the image most people have of Mexican beer, try to find a better authentic Cerveza - it'll probably be cheaper too.

11-20-2007 23:11:53 | More by atomicbolt
thierrynantes

France

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2001.
Appearance: white foam, very few persistent. Pale color, limpid
Smell: Some malt smell?
Taste and mouthfeel: fresh attack, notes of grain, almost no bitterness, very short persistence
Drinkability: a lager beer, not impressed

Review added 11-20-2007, translated from french 2-27-2008.

11-20-2007 21:04:43 | More by thierrynantes
Halcyondays

2.68/5  rDev +16%

12 oz. clear bottle,

A: Pours a pallid yellow into a glass, with really no head to speak of, dissipates quickly leaving only a small, thin ring of clear foam around the glass.

S: Smells mainly of fermented corn, though it is much more evident than in a regular macro, no skunk, didn't expect it, as this came from a 12-pack.

T: This does not taste that bad. Haven't had this one in a while, and had forgotten what it tasted like. It has a simple corn flavour, not much else, but much better than your average macro-type lager beer.

M: Light, carbonic, bubbly, thin and watery.

D: A fair beer, better than most macros, but still, at the end of the day, its just a boring industrial lager. There are a lot better lagers out there, and better beers for the same price, so why waste your time with Corona? I'd drink it if I'm in the Sizzler, and there's no better beer around, but all and all, it's just not very good, and I would not spend my own money on it.

11-13-2007 01:45:51 | More by Halcyondays
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.33/5  rDev -42.4%

This pours from 12oz bottle...err....strong whiff of skunkiness hit my nose buds before I can continue...ok, very fizzy yellow with a small but persistent head of foam.

The smell...mostly already covered but there's also a strong dose of corn.

The taste is corny and sweet until some hop moves in and then it's gone. Finishes watery. Yuck. "nuff said.

11-02-2007 22:37:09 | More by Bitterbill
SargeC

Japan

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer is about as tame as it comes. It looks like beer, and almost smells like beer. It has a very inoffensive taste and minimal mouthfeel. It leaves me feeling unsatisfied. The beer has its place at times, but it is not something I seek out or think of when I am looking for a macro.

10-28-2007 06:42:38 | More by SargeC
MMAJYK

Georgia

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I dont know what all to say about this one. I always seem to get a skunky smell when I open a bottle of this stuff. The beer is OK and cheap but not my favorite by any means. It has a little bit stronger taste than most macros, so its OK. Good on a hot day or tailgating for a game.

10-26-2007 12:55:06 | More by MMAJYK
biggmike

Mississippi

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

I couldnt believe I had yet to rate this. Pours a yellow color with white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Has a chemical metallic odor to it. Taste is light and of corn adjunct. Not really offensive, but bland and boring. I guess the drinkability is reasonable high. One of the worst buys considering the price.

10-24-2007 09:45:45 | More by biggmike
cdrogers

3.68/5  rDev +59.3%

This is not a bad beer, but it is cheap and something readily available. It really has to be served with lime to have much flavor. I would say that most everyone has tried this. I would rate it a try, but not something I would buy regularly. Not recommended without lime.

10-23-2007 02:18:45 | More by cdrogers
Rddymk

3.8/5  rDev +64.5%

I hope the previous reponder does not get offeneded by the fact that Mexico is not in South America. Corona is brewed in Mexico and is owed, in part, by the makers of Budweiser.
Corona, in my feeble opinion, is similar to Coors Light. Watery, crackly and thin. The lime gives it a tasty overhang. I use the "RealLime juice squeezey." You can regulate your lime taste. Corona is great on hot days and the clear glass, although it can impair the taste of beer, makes it a handy chug after mowing the grass of after a good session of 'you know what.' The clear glass motto is null because the rate of sale for Corona is so fast the impariment of flavor is not affected, similar to Miller High Life.

10-19-2007 02:55:38 | More by Rddymk
americanwolfdrea

2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

it has a nice golden wheat like color and it is crisp and goes down somewhat easy with the obligatory lime....It finishes very, very, very, clean in my opinion, but i must admit it does not make my top choice, any apologies to its fans...But it was drinkable..I really dont have much to say about this particular beer...

10-17-2007 04:55:12 | More by americanwolfdrea
hustlesworth

2.7/5  rDev +16.9%

when german immigrants went to mexico in like the 1600's or something they took their lager with them creating most of the mexican beers we know today. oookay. don't ever let it get warm...trust me. it will be foul.

A- super clear light golden with 1/2in loose soapy foam that settles fast. minimum lace, lots of bubbles. i think this is the first time i've ever poured corona into a glass.

S- unoffensively skunky, metallic leaves, corn husk, cooked vegetables, pale barley, and a grassy note at the end that might be hops, but probably not.

T- metallic grainy sweetness, cooked rice, raw barley, chicken broth, dead leaves, very faint artificial hop grassiness at the end, just like the smell.

MF- high carb, thin and watery

D- 2 summers ago, i attempted to cut down a large tree with my uncle. i was way up there with the chainsaw and somehow the top part of the tree ended up on my neighbor's roof. to make a long story short, we patched up the roof, and sat down on the log in the blazin heat and cracked open a few coronas. may uncle said "damn that's good" and i said "yeah" and everything was just a-ok.

10-09-2007 16:01:31 | More by hustlesworth
erosier

Connecticut

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Without a lime, this beer is just about undrinkable. I am glad to see that this beer is already Not Recommended. The pour is OK but it is so light with a light white head. The aroma is just horrid. It smells like a skunk. I have had this beer many many times as people for some reason love it, but everytime I try it, it still smells like a skunk. The taste is just as awful. It is sour and bland. What is worse is that it leaves the same taste in your mouth that is left when you drive by a dead skunk on the side of the road in the summertime with your windows down. Overall just a bad beer and should not be consumed without a lime. That is the only thing that can make it drinkable.

10-09-2007 04:14:48 | More by erosier
animal69

Louisiana

4.35/5  rDev +88.3%

hey say what you will, but it has replaced water in my life, most people think of corona as anything close to a different tasting american macro-lager, but this is not tru; originally brewed by vienniese immigrants, it was it's own style, hops,malts & the type of water they were used to using was non-existant ( i don't know the recipe) but they did have corn, & lots of it !! i'm sure the thin head & no body is a result of that, as well as the "null" hopping.
The beer does look beautiful in the bottle & if it weren't for the alcohol in it, it would be soda, my other water alternative...so conserve water,and drink Corona instead !!

10-03-2007 00:00:24 | More by animal69
Amalak

2.75/5  rDev +19%

A: Bottled, very clear, no head, dull gold.

S: Semi skunked, but it tasted ok.

T: Refreshing for an outdoor drink.

M: bubbly but lacks flavor.

D: Depending on the situation, it is a decent enough.

Sitting outside or at the beach on a summer day, this beer is great. But for everyday drinking, not my cup of tea, but better than Bud or Coors or Miller, etc.

10-01-2007 03:20:07 | More by Amalak
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance- Pours a pale yellow color with very little head, very apparent carbonation.

Smell- Barley, lime, and fizzy carbonation apparent in nose.

Taste- Only descernable flavor is that of malted barley mixed in with fizzy water.

Mouthfeel- Relatively clean on tongue, does have somthing of a funky aftertaste.

Drinkability- Not horribly unpleasant if your looking for somthing to taste cheap and pay relatively high amounts of dough for it, if you like that sort of thing.

09-27-2007 00:31:22 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
crazybrody06

2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer does have drinkability going for it, but water is drinkable too. This beer tastes much better with huge slice of lime in it. Pours a lighter then straw almost neon yellow with no head no lacing. Usually all I like to taste is the lime. Mouthfeel is very watery.

09-21-2007 20:46:19 | More by crazybrody06
Overlord

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer is borderline undrinkable without a lime wedged into it. However, it does go well with lime, but this doesn't excuse the underlying taste.

Pours a ... well, let's call a spade a spade ... urine yellow. Little to no head, no carbonation, no mouthfeel to speak. The taste is basically nonexistent; it's slightly yeasty/alcoholy water mixed with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Without hot sun and lime, no thanks.

09-19-2007 08:39:44 | More by Overlord
Floydster

3.03/5  rDev +31.2%

12 ounce bottle from a 24 pack purchased from Costco

Have probably drank hundreds of these in my day, but finally decided to review one

Good beer to drink in hot weather and for mass consumption, easy to drink

Very golden yellow appearance

Taste is refreshing, but not great and always thought the smell was a little weak

09-12-2007 06:52:25 | More by Floydster
JamesS

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I find it odd/funny when I'm out at a bar and someone (friend or otherwise) tries to act like a beer connoisseur by ordering a Corona. Personally I can't bring myself to drink one, although I have to handle it occasionally when someone buys a round of it. Although it's not undrinkable, the beer is unimpressive and flat. There are much better 'south of the border' beers out there if that's what you're going for.

09-08-2007 23:28:16 | More by JamesS
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.