Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.96/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Perfectly clear, light urine-yellow, with bubbles and light head. It's not too bad, but I'm not impressed by the pale shade or anaemic foam.

S: Jesus! I opened the bottle and could smell it; once it was poured, I can catch whiffs from feet away. I tried to think of a delicate way to phrase this, but it smells like farts and skunk spray. When I put my nose right in the glass, it's not as bad -- the skunkiness is milder and there is a grain with a slight sour edge.

T: After the ludicrously bad smell, I was prepared for something much worse. In actuality, Corona tastes kind of okay. It's fizzy with a definite beer flavour that outshines the sweet grain. The aftertaste is harsh and unpleasantly bitter, but at least it has flavour. In the background of the main taste is the same awkward skunky bitterness. I don't particularly like it, but I give Corona props for making an adjunct lager with actual taste.

M: Nothing exciting. Watery, fleeting, and bland.

O: It's consumable enough, except for the abrasive aftertaste. On the insistence of a friend, I squeezed a lime into the remaining half of my beer; now it tastes like limeade with grain squeezed into it. Make of that what you will...it's more drinkable, but no longer tastes like beer. Overall, pretty bad.

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a clear gold with a nice white head. Gets off to a good start but everything is downhill from there. The nose is vibrantly grainy but not venture into more interesting hop territory. The taste is also a one note wonder. It's not terrible but neither is worth my while to ever have another for any reason. Taste become outright atrocious if it's anything less than ice cold.

3.11/5  rDev +34.6%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Re-review.
24oz bottle.

Appearance:
Pale straw color, very clear. Lots of carbonation. No head, no lacing whatsoever.

Smell:
Unpleasant skunky aroma from the clear bottle, corn and some alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Corn up front, a little sweet grainy, sharp skunky flavor. Finish is rough with unpleasant dry aftertaste. Body is thin and watery. Carbonation is very high.

Drinkability:
Very low. I couldn't drink the rest of this beer. I rather drink Bud or Coors over this awful beer.

3.05/5  rDev +32%

bought a 24 oz bomber of this for my Wife (B.L.) and so I took the oppurtunity to review it:

A: Ultra clear, straw colored brew. Sports a wispy- ginger ale-like head that dissipates really quick and leaves absolutley ZERO lacing.

S: just a touch of maltiness with O SO LITE hopiness

T: best way to describe this is Macro style. Metallic with a grainy maltiness

M: overcarbonated and fizzy. no ABV bite.

D: very very drinkable. (trying to be generous here) drink these by the dozen if you care to.

1.91/5  rDev -17.3%

12oz bottle into pint glass. Reviewed from old notes.

A: Pours a light yellow urine color, crystal clear, with a thin bright white fizzy head that disappeared quickly leaving no bubbles or lace.
S: Very faint scents. Nothing really stands out. Smells like a light adjunct lager. Faint sour grainy malt perhaps. Smells kinda like corn meal and skunk.
T: Very light flavors. Tastes like slightly sweet, slight bitter water. No flavor until the aftertaste.
M: Soda-like carbonation is very bubbly. Super light body.
D: I'm not knocking this beer because it's an adjunct lager. I'm knocking it because it's one of the worst adjunct lagers. The only time I've enjoyed this beer was as a water replacement in Mexico. I like almost all the other BMC style beers more than this one. Stick a couple limes in it and serve it ice cold if you must.

2.29/5  rDev -0.9%

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass

A - basic yellow, small white head that dissipates quickly.

S - smells skunky, grassy, traces of alcohol

T&M - average carbonation, skunky taste, and the finish is not smooth

D - I'll admit, that if I'm lying on a beach chair and someone hands be a cold corona with a lime; I'll drink it. But it is a poor beer.

2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

I feel that this is one of the most overhyped beer's on the market. I'd heard great things before I actually tried it. It was very disappointing. If I'm going to drink a mexican beer, I'd prefer Modelo Negro. Even though similar, I think it's a good alternative.

1.56/5  rDev -32.5%

I got one of these at a college party when I was a wee lad...terrible introduction to beer.

Drank it straight from the bottle, chilled. Probably a good thing because the first thing I noticed was the awful piss-like smell, a skunkiness. Looks the same, too. I guess Corona is an acquired taste, it manages to be stinky and watery at the same time, like a Bud Light gone sour. Alcohol content is a bit lower than other lagers, so I'd say the drinkability would be on par with a light beer. I'd not want another because I don't enjoy the taste or smell, and don't drink just to get a buzz. I give this two thumbs down, especially since the price isn't as low as the quality. (Still a lot of Gulf Coast Floridians love this stuff, their choice.)

2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Super white nose and a bland yellow body
S: A weak rice or corn aroma.
T/m: A crisp mouthfeel, on a single layered beer. Showing only a hint of basic lager flavors.
D: A beer that can be drank quickly, but it does not have me coming back to the taste.

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

This one was free, so don't judge me. Haha. Served from bottle into a Blue Ridge standard pint. Pours pale yellow with a one finger white head with AGGRESSIVE pour that subsides to none almost instantly. There was no apparent lacing present at all. The aroma was comprised of malt and a small hint of fruit. The flavor was of malt, sour fruit, water, and citrus. It was light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall I tried to be fair with this brew in my rating but it is just bad. I have never really been a fan of this brew and will probably never be. It is just missing too much to be good. Maybe this is why the tell you not to drink the water in Mexico???

1.45/5  rDev -37.2%

A guy came into my craft beer store and asked if I had Corona. I gave him some snitty reply like: "We don't sell bad beer here." Afterwards I felt like a snob and I hate that so I decided to try this beer one more time with a unbiased mindset. Got the classic clear bottle from a bodega in Brooklyn.

A: Looks exactly like a good pee. Not too dark or light. Just a perfect pee colour. I mean you could feed this through a tube and use it to make special effects pee in a movie. Very little carbonation that fades instantly.

S: Smells very lightly of corn and rotting veggies. Is this really beer or some sort of corn wine? No hops or malt present in the aroma at all.

T: I can't believe I guzzled this down in college. Either my pallet has grown or I was just too drunk to notice but this is one bad tasting beer. The only consolation is it doesn't have much taste at all. But what it does have is rotten asparagus and old canned corn. Faintly, in the back.

M: Mouthfeel like canada dry seltzer. I guess this is why people like to drink it in the summer cause I like a nice seltzer on a hot day but the effect for me is ruined by subtle under taste of rust, can corn and rotten garbage.

D: Went down very easy but I did not enjoy it as it went down. As this is basically badly flavored seltzer water I got close to my college chugging record of 2 seconds with this beer. Made me flashback to vomiting in a trashcan as I finished it. Maybe I am the wrong kind of person to drink this beer as I have been exposed to good tasting beer. I have decided I will never taste it again. Praise Jah in all his glory. Never again.

So it seems I am not a snob after all. This beer is a marketing fraud perpetrated on the people of the earth. Not at all beer, it is my opinion that it is a badly made mixed drink that someone allowed some salad to fall into. Should this beer even be on the site? Is there a minimum amount of malt and hops you need to have in the beverage in ratio to other ingredients in order to be called beer? The only reason for a person to buy or drink this beer is because in your subconscious one has been programed to think that this beer is really refreshing on a hot day. It is not even that refreshing when you consider the other options available. Even PBR would be a better BBQ beer because it has that same refreshing effect without the garbage and corn flavor. Wow. Nobody should drink this so they go out of business. I feel for all the working class hispanics in my neighborhood who can only afford this beer to drink. Modelo is lying and stealing from customers and using the mass media to brainwash them into thinking it is a drinkable beer. It is not at all. My Final Verdict: Bad

P.S. Anyone who says this beer tastes of citrus or it tastes "limey" should think about the fact that they might have put a lime in the beer and that might be where the taste came from. If so that is not good reviewing because we are not here to review the lime juice that is added. I did not use a lime and I am here to tell you that this beer has ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, no lime or citrus flavor at all. Not even a little bit. Nope you are totally wrong if you think there is. Try again with out the lime in it, it really has no lime flavor. None whatsoever. Really, Seriously. No lime. Not even a hint of citrus. None. Nada...

1.6/5  rDev -30.7%

No need for a long winded explanation, it looks bad, smells and tastes horrendous, and gives me a headache every time I drink it. Knowing this I bought another six pack to rate. Yep, still awful. Pity the person who forgets to buy a lime to kill the flavor.

3.51/5  rDev +51.9%

A : Pale yellow color, lots of carbonation coming from it. No head at all. Wasn't made at all to go into a glass.
S : Nothing really stands out. Come corn smell, there is also a skunk smell beginning here. Clear bottles doesn't help!
T : Regular, nothing particular. Light beer = light taste. Same thing for this one.
M : Really high carbonation. Enjoyable, really refreshing also in the summer outside.
D : Light beer, so I could drink a lot of these over a session. This would make an excellent session beer in the summer only. I never buy Corona in the winter, there is no reason doing so!

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Paler even than many american macros.
S- The smell is of corn, cooked veggies, and a bit of skunk.
T- The taste is of corn, with a bit of skunkiness to it. some cooked veggie underneath. no hop presence.
M- medium bodied, for an adjunct. Reasonable carbonation for the style.
D- The limes make this beer possible. there are better mexican beers out there.

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

pours exactly what you see from the bottle.. typical golden piss color with little to no head.. carbonation is visible..

aroma: right off the bat you get the skunkiness... pretty awful.. mild grain... lots of adjuncts.. altogether its really just a sweet skunkiness..

taste: cooked corn, mild sweetness.. grainy.. more skunkiness.. almost no hop presence.. not gonna lie its pretty watery.. finishes crisp but little to no flavor..

mf is light to medium... decent amount of carbonation but this isn't enough to make this an above average brew..

for me its not something i dont want to drink.. even when it comes to macros.. there's a lot more macros i'd easily pick than Corona..

cheers!!

2.46/5  rDev +6.5%

You don't have to buy Corona to know what it looks like - it looks no different in a clear glass than it does in the clear bottle. In fact, you don't even have to see a Corona to know what it looks like; this clear, shimmering golden liquid is exactly how most people envision beer. Rather unbecoming of its name, however, there is no "crown" atop.

The aroma, unlike a lot of macro lagers, is distinctive - that, unfortunately, is meant in the worst possible way. Corona may smell less agreeable than any other beer on the market (and you have the clear bottles to largely thank for that). Lord knows how much light exposure this bottle saw, but it's easy to tell how much damage the UV rays did.

The sad thing is that years of repeat consumption, unwillingness to try new (notably craft) beers and much stubbornness on the behalf of marketers, many people assume this skunky, corn syrupy smell to be inherent to beer, and many have come to actually find it appealing(!). But I assure you it results from clear bottles and bad ingredients.

A hurried brew process and cheap industrial fillers play a role in it too; their effects, however, are most noted in the taste. An artificial, stinging carbonation, a flat, insipid flavour, a cloyingly sweet, syrupy finish - these are the telling signs of a mass, industrially produced lager (and a poor one at that). Luckily, this doesn't have a very strong taste...

Corona is - certainly not a clean, refreshing beer - but a relatively toneless and acceptable one. Its high level of insipidness largely hides the corn syrup (although not entirely) and the pathetically minuscule amount of malt is far too faint to be hardly perceptible. I would take a watery, tasteless beer over a foul and offensive one any day.

As with anything that is consumed, the beer that a person drinks has become a symbol of self-definition. Sadly, most people are easily swayed by marketing and, if nothing else, Corona is the ultimate testament to the power of advertising - there is perhaps no other beer that owes the entirety of its identity and success to it.

Years gone by, billions of dollars spent, Corona has become immersed in idyllic images of pristine beaches, sunny settings and vacation lifestyles. This is the deceit of advertising and nothing more; there is nothing about the beer itself that accounts for these associations. It is as lifeless, insipid and ordinary as any other mass-produced lager.

2.09/5  rDev -9.5%

Ah the perennial favourite for many on a very hot summer day! I am referring of course to the mildly alcoholic lemonade called Corona.

Here in Singapore the weather is always hot, so there is always a demand for light, unassuming macros. Even our very own Tiger Beer is seen by many Singaporeans as being too 'bitter'. So, enter Corona!

I have had numerous opportunities to drink this beer, and I would not hesitate to order it many more times in the future, but having said that, let me say this beer is like that crazy girl we had at some point in our lives. You hate everything about her but when nothing better is available you'll call her.

A: In a clear bottle, no head to speak of, but the lime on top gives it a cool look. I know I am being generous with the rating here but I can't, with a clean conscience fail this beer in every aspect. It's bad, but not THAT bad (well maybe it is, but I like the way it looks).

S: Again, the lime pretty much overpowers any hint of any smell you could have had from this watered-down water but I did detect some grain, corn and other adjuncts.

T: The guys at Corona hit a masterstroke with the idea of sticking a lime in that thing because that pretty much is what makes this beer taste so good, but remove the lemon and try drinking this, and it's like a bartender squeezed his rag into a bottle and served it to you.

M: Mouthfeel? Apart from lime there was pretty much nothing else. It felt like drinking bread mixed with lemonade.

D: Now remember, Singapore is perpetually hot throughout the year, and there are days when this beer actually works, and quenches that parched feeling, hence I upped the rating for this part.

Overall: Who knew that a wedge of lime would make such a big difference? Without the lime this beer would not even be worth rating, but add the lime and a blazing hot day, it becomes somewhat drinkable. So here's to citrus!

2.26/5  rDev -2.2%

This beer is extremely pale and pours with an extremely thin white head that disappears in minutes.

There is little to no hops or malt aroma to this beer. If you add a piece of lime, you will get a citrus smell.

One taste of this beer will tell you why the Mexicans send it north at an inflated price. It is not worth drinking.

If watery is a mouth feel then this beer is near the top of the list.

You can drink quite a few Corona since there is nothing (i.e. taste, mouth feel, etc.) getting in the way of slamming multiple beers.

I highly recommend the chunk of line that most bars add to this beer. It is the only flavor there is to the watery mess they try to pass off as beer.

3.76/5  rDev +62.8%

This beer (poured from a 12oz. bottle) has a rather thin white head, but a very bubbly, golden appearance (weird). Aroma is faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is very light, but I can't say I don't like it. Naturally, I suppose Corona Extra is just brewed to have a lime squeezed into it and to be eaten with salty chips. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and refreshing. The taste is very subdued for sure, and I noticed a soapy under-taste, but all-in-all, I like it. Why do people hate this? I'd strongly recommend buying this in the can, as the clear bottle can allow for spoilage. Happily, the one I drank today was not skunked. Try it (although, most beer drinkers probably already have).

RJT

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured from a 24oz bottle into a chilled glass.
The beer had no head and was bright yellow.
The beer smelled skunky.
It tasted crisp, refreshing, but also... skunky. It was overcarbonated, should've drank it with a lime.
Not very good overall.

2.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Just had one of these for the first time. Didn't expect much from it, but it was better than expected. (That may have been improved by the addition of a lime wedge.) I usually don't have much of an appreciation for thin beers like this, but at a friends house on a nice summer day, I would definitely drink one.

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Apperance: straw yellow with a minimal head. No retention whatsoever.
Smell: cookd corn. Some malt. Heavy dose of skunkiness.
Taste: sharp metalic twang that becomes more pronounced as it warms. Minimal citrus taste from the hops.
Mouthfeel. Very crisp. Very dry. Meh not bad most redeeming quality of this brew.
Drinkability.: must admit I do have them at parties and bbqs. I would never buy themfor myself though.

3.46/5  rDev +49.8%

A- This beer is pretty average, nothing really thrilling about its appearance.

S- Not a fan on the smell of this beer, it has a strange dirty scent.

T- Coronas are very tasty tho, especially with lime.

M- This beer also has a good mouthfeel, nothing too crazy.

D- This beer is very drinkable, I can easily demolish a 6 pack, and its essential for summer days near the pool. This beer is a good beer just to relax and chill out, you don't really need to have it with food however it goes with most meals.

Photo of

I am older (58) and my taste for heavier beers has diminished. I am sensitive to acidy so I don't go for brews with a citrus flavor. I almost always eat when I drink, so I don't want a beer that overpowers my food. I am sensitive to brewing processes and some preservatives so I
don't want a beer that makes me feel like crap or makes me pee 3 beers for every one I drink.
I tend to drink beer at room temperature.

I love Corona. It's not too heavy or filling.
It doesn't overpower the food I am eating. I
don't overpee when I drink it or suffer any
ill effects. It goes down easy with a mild bitter after taste. It seems a little less carbonated then most beers.

It's not at the top of my list, but it's my pick
for a very drinkable everyday beer. If you agree with this review, you will also probably like Lionshead.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.