Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Drew966

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Corona Extra pours a typical pale macro yellow with a thin white head from a twelve ounce can. Smells primarily like corn. Tastes like corn/adjunct. Interesting to try this out of a can, it's certainly not skunked, on the other hand it's certainly not good either.

08-10-2006 01:56:30 | More by Drew966
BuffaloBilly

3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

It was summer, and I thought i'd splurge and by some corona. Definetly not worth the 15 bucks a 12 pack. This beer is light in color, and well light in taste. It's a good beer no doubt, but not an awesome beer. There was a somewhat skunky aftertaste. Maybe a lime would help with that but i didnt have any.

08-09-2006 17:11:00 | More by BuffaloBilly
jkanavel

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Poured this from a bottle into pint glass. Came out the same color you see in the bottle. Kind of a nice deep yellow, though not quite golden.
The head was nothing to write home about, but not altogether bad either. Just your standard macro lager head. It stuck around long enough to look pretty, then turned kinda lacy, bust mostly disapeared.

The smell was intense. Skunky to be exact. This was by far the skunkiest beer I've ever smelled. Other smells were hard to pick up under the skunky yeast.

This beer had a unique taste, not altogether unpleasant, but it won't be winning any awards in my book. I didn't try it with lime, though if I am ever offered a corona again I may do that.
The majority of the flavor I picked up on was hoppy. There was also something strange in it, almost a tequila flavor. I don't know what that was, but as I said before, it was not altogether unpleasant. That being said, it was otherwise indistinguishable from say Miller Highlife, or Bud Select.

This was just an average beer as far as how it drank and felt going down. I wasn't compelled to pour it down the drain, neither was I compelled to go out and buy more.

This was a very average beer, about as good as can be expected from a beer in a clear bottle. Might be okay on a really hot day, or at the beach.

08-05-2006 19:27:28 | More by jkanavel
Validus

Louisiana

3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

This beer is good if, and only if, it is consumed absolutely ice cold...and usually with food. When I go down to the local bar and grill for a hunk of meat on a bun, I like to order a Corona, throw in the requisite lime, and get down to business.

But as a beer, there are better on the shelf at your local grocer. Light in color and taste, there's just *nothing* there.

08-04-2006 05:11:05 | More by Validus
UberWasser

Arizona

2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours a sickly yellow color with almost no head, rather lifeless.

Smells of almost nothing...clean wet clothes, maybe. I think I avoided a skunked bottle, as this came straight from the case and went straight into the fridge, so there's even less "character" than usual.

Tastes pretty bad, tough...not skunked, just plain bad. Well, it doesn't taste like much when ice cold, but once it warms, out comes the stale corn and mineral water flavors. Not much else going on there. Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

I usually don't mind drinking macro beer...I don't enjoy that much, because it's rather boring usually, it but it's usually far from unpleasent. This, though, has only one redeeming factor, and that is that it's easy to chug a cold bottle of it to quench a thirst. Trying to savor any of the flavors that this beer has is futile.

08-03-2006 02:28:48 | More by UberWasser
Imstillthegman

Delaware

2.75/5  rDev +19%

Looks the same in a glass as it does in the clear bottle. Okay....I know it smells skunked and if not for the lime wedges it may be almost unbearable most days, but when ice cold and tailgating at a Jimmy Buffett concert ( like last night ) it goes down really easy. Very crisp, light body beer that is a guilty pleasure on hot summer afternoon.

08-02-2006 16:44:43 | More by Imstillthegman
fido

Mexico

Corona pours a clear golden color, little head and high carbonation; Smells skunky and corn, not much to smell; Taste is thin and some corn flavor; Mouthfeel is watery; Drinkable for those hot days.

I don´t like add lime to any beer.

Drink it very, very cold.

¡Salud!

07-23-2006 00:43:07 | More by fido
hreb

Washington

1.45/5  rDev -37.2%

24 oz glass bottle poured into American pint glass (but why bother pouring this?) Beer pours pale, pale clear-yellow. Looks too weak to be apple juice, but... Pours with a relatively thick bubbly white head which disappears very quickly. Smells like a one-dimensional skunky lager. Served without citrus, but mercifully, served cold.

Doesn't taste like a whole lot. Tastes like it smells (skunky lager) but beyond that it's pretty hard to find ANY flavor in there any where. Surprisingly low on carbonation. I think the best word to describe what I'm not enjoying is "soapy" but it's not from the character of the hops, which is what I'm guessing -- praying -- is providing the skunk element, but beyond that it's unidentifiable. No, it's just the water, and whatever they messed it up with. Malt character is negligible.

I should mention there plenty of lagers and even skunk beers that I do enjoy. I can't go to Lombardi's in SoHo without having a Peroni with my pizza. Is this fair? Maybe, perhaps I'll review that later. Is it as cheap as Corona? No.

Leaves very little thin, white, watery lacing on the glass. Leaves a dry and not entirely unpleasant flavor in the mouth, but a refined finish it is not.

Normally I have a policy of only reviewing for beeradvocate beers which are unadulterated, i.e. no added lemons in my hefeweiss or fruit or anything like that -- even if that's not the way I'd normally drink it. Since I've got a large enough sample and I've completed my review, I'm squeezing a quarter of a lime into my Corona. It helps. Instead of drinking kind of gross bland skunky water, I'm now drinking fizzy skunky lime juice. The sharp acidity and sourness masks most of the unpleasant flavors in the beer, significantly improving drinkability. Is this good? An unfair advantage? Eh, I'm not too worried.

07-16-2006 22:30:11 | More by hreb
oldirtycaffrey

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%

Appearance is light yellow with a slight white head. The smell is nothing special--hints of corn. The taste is good for a light-bodied beer. This beer is perfect for a summer day -- the mouthfeel is good, with a fair amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high since it'd be easy to drink these all day outside at a BBQ or just kicking back. Seems to have a bad rap on BeerAdvocate.com...but...seriously....it's average is lower than Rolling Rock?!?!

07-16-2006 14:18:30 | More by oldirtycaffrey
zeff80

Missouri

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A - 12 oz bottle pours out a pale yellow. Little head and highly carbonated

S - It smells skunky and of corn.

T- The taste is very watery and has corn and grassy notes to it.

M - A light bodied beer that finishes crisp.

D - It is drinkable, especially on a hot day.

07-15-2006 19:04:36 | More by zeff80
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.08/5  rDev -53.2%

A buddy of mine brought over a clear 710ml for us to split (Thanks Shawn). A co-worker pawned it off on him and I'm starting to think this was a re-gifting beer until someone gave in and drank it. Poured into a pint glass.

One of the worst looking beers I've seen yet. Crystal clear and pale, pale straw yellow. Looks like someone added a drop or two of food colouring to water. Bright white soap bubble head is 1/4 inch on the pour, but faded immediately to nothing.

Aroma is a big turn off. You'd be better off holding your nose. Skunky, cooked veggies, with a whiff of corn and hint of sulphur. Maybe they put lime in these to disguise the smell, not just the taste.

Tastes pretty much like faint corn water. Doesn't really taste like beer at all. Light corn with a hint of sweetness all with a nasty petrol background. Aftertaste is off vegetal.

Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated. Harsh quality added due to the petrol notes.

My god, please don't place one of these in front of me again. I was only too happy to split a bottle of Shakespeare Stout with my friend so that we both could wash the taste of this crap out of our mouths. I won't ever drink another one of these, even if it is free.

07-08-2006 18:23:01 | More by Noxious26
LittleWolf

2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured pale yellow with head that ran away quickly.
Smell has hints of skunk and a weak hop hollowness.
Taste follows with a skunkiness and cheap grains. A mellow-sweet aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is thin and watery.
As far as drinkability, I admit that I can, and have, drink a few if the occasion calls for it, but not one of my first choices.

07-06-2006 01:54:45 | More by LittleWolf
spiffysamurai

Maine

2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

Apperance - Average, a medium goldish yellow color. Nothing too impressive.

Smell - A little sweet, nothing to write home about.

Taste: Tasted kind of sour, the lime did it a little bit of boost but nothing to add impression.

Mouthfeel- Eh is little different. A little rough but not impressive.

Drinkability - Its good hot summer day beer if you're a college student just hanging out. You have to have the limes though.

07-06-2006 01:26:25 | More by spiffysamurai
jwc215

Wisconsin

7 oz. bottle:
Poured pale yellow (just as seen through clear bottle). A thin wisp of a lace was present despite the high carbonation.
It smelled mildly of chemical-like sulfur and a touch of skunk.
It tasted like water with some odd chemical-like substance mixed in.
It left a metallic-like taste, but the water and carbonation allowed it to go down.
I tried this with lime in it a while back - not my thing, adding fruit to beer...A guest brought over nips, and I wanted to see if it could stand alone. If you drink this, which I do not recommend - put limes in it (I don't like adding fruit - but this needs it)...better yet - just avoid it.

06-29-2006 13:56:53 | More by jwc215
HoustonTX

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Deep yellow color, lacked a decent pour.

S - Smell is skunky and offensive. Small traces of malt come through.

T - Taste is of a malt-corn-type backbone, slightly sweet and washes over your mouth with an almost metallic bitter aftertaste.

M - A bit too carbonated, feels thin, very thin.

D - Hard to believe I used to drink these. 3.0 - Just because some people may enjoy them with lime/salt/lemon.

I would avoid this beer if at all possible, but it would be possible to drink one or two on a scorching hot day.

06-28-2006 04:49:38 | More by HoustonTX
tugdriver7

Maryland

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

All of the nicknames I have heard for Corona run through my mind. Frankly, however, the beer gets a bad rap. There isn't a lot to it; and it's expensive (many macros and German imports are a better buy). But there's some inherent fun in sitting in the shade on a hot day and sipping a Corona (yes, with a lime... always with a lime.... sorry). They go down easy. And cold. And that's about it. But everyone has to try a Corona (yes, with lime) at least once. It's Spring Break all over again.

06-28-2006 01:11:52 | More by tugdriver7
ernie

Russian Federation

1.15/5  rDev -50.2%

Let me open my heart: I could be much more merciful to this beer but it's overhyped and overpriced. So what do you get for your hard-earned dineros? A very bland beer, designed decades ago as a thirst-quencher for the masses.
It's pale to a point of being lifeless. It's over-carbonated. It's supposed to be served with a wedge of lime to cover the lack of taste - just like a fig leaf covers Adam & Eva shame. Its smell is weak and uninspiring. Taste is actually somewhere else.
Corona plays silly games with your tongue, biting it and promising heavenly pleasure, but never fulfills the promise. Forget about it. Don't look at the ads. Take a real beer. Give a healthy example to your Corona-crazy buddies.

06-26-2006 17:49:35 | More by ernie
Barfighter

3.7/5  rDev +60.2%

A good introduction into the world of beer. It's tame, it's mild and it's world famous. I bought a case this past weekend after a long break from it. Sure, in comparison, it looks pale yellow, smells like nothing special and has a slight carbonated bite to it. The lime adds a nice touch to sanitize the bottle top and add some extra bubbles inside. Its taste was crisp and refreshing though it seems like any subtle wrong moves with your Corona case could result in skunk. I've had some that tasted like nail polish remover before...but that's a different review.
The biggest downside to Corona is the price tag. At $27 I was jacked, as popularity and their attractive ad campaigns continue to push the price up. All that aside, Corona is what it is; a good party beer and nothing else tastes like it.

06-19-2006 16:59:15 | More by Barfighter
ggaughan

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Although I had have this beer alot when I was younger, I haven't had the taste for it for several years butI had another at a friends BBQ over the weekend. Not wanting to be thought of as a beer snob, I had a few. Although the beer is refreshing on a hot summer night, there was not much taste to speak of, except for the hints of lime since I jammed one into the bottle. The body is pretty faint and the taste does not linger long but I guess that is the point and why one can consume a bunch of them in a night, as I did.

06-19-2006 02:13:13 | More by ggaughan
nicksta

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Disclamer: This beer is actually good with a slice of lemon, or lime, but that isn't the way beer is supposed to be.

A: The beer is very clear, light gold. There are many bubbles on the glass, and the bubbly head quickly recedes with no lacing.

S: There is a little bit of cereal malt hints and a lot of adjunct sweetness.

T: It wasn't as skunked as I thought it would be, but still, the only taste is some adjunct sweetness.

M: It is quite thin.

D: It is too adjunct and carbonated.

Feel free to enjoy this with a slice of lemon, or lime, but don't make it your #1 beer.

06-18-2006 04:07:22 | More by nicksta
xtremejammn

2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

First of all, this review is of the beer Corona with a slice of lime in it.

A: An average appearance with a light yellow color, and the lime can give it a very attractive look. I think that this beer is three times as popular as it should be.

S: I should have waited to put the lime in after i smelled it, as the lime can really mask the smell of it, but the lime gives it a tangy scent that can throws in a fake card for the taste. Translation: it dosn't taste at all like it smells.

T: Average taste with a very slight hint of lime, which is the only thing that makes this beer the real hit that it is today. Very little hop pressence.

M: The mouthfeel is not quite that bad but a halfway unpleasant bite persists in the mouth after a drink.

D: An average drinkability level that I have found to be just as drinkable as most of the other beers ive had, nothing special.

Bottom Line: An OK Mexican Lager that i wouldn't go out and buy myself but I would drink it if I wasn't the one paying for it.

06-17-2006 03:43:08 | More by xtremejammn
bunbury

Panama

4.18/5  rDev +81%

For me, beer sould be drink on how it comes... in a bottle or can, who invented to put lemon on beer?,... at first i desagree, but after trying it,...it was "inevitable".. .

Without lemon: if i go one by one in category it would be nonesense,. . everything in this beer is great.

With lemon: it passes more quickly, perfect body, good head.. . i mean.. . excelence, 2 tumbs up to mexico for creating this beer.

06-10-2006 06:33:26 | More by bunbury
ITK4ever

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

I was searching high and low to find a good beer in a can that I can take to the pool. Futile search. So I grabbed a 12-pack of Corona in cans, a lime, and headed to the pool. Now, grant you, Corona is what it is, but I actually found myself enjoying this out of the can with a lime thrown in. Watery, yes. Tastless, yes. Corn notes, yes. Carbonated, yes. Enjoyable, yes!!! Maybe the hot day got to me, but I'll buy it again for the pool, unless my beer guy can get some Dave's Pale Ale in for me.

06-08-2006 13:08:35 | More by ITK4ever
asabreed

2.4/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass sans lime wedge.

Appearance: Looks like sparkling grape juice. Surprisingly, though, the head retention's not too bad and stays at about 1/2" inch, though with little lacing

Smell: Some corn and malt sweetness, along with some slight citrus. No hops to really speak of. Pretty bland.

Taste: Again, some corn and malt-like sweetness, with a bit of citrus, unless I'm used to the beer with a lime in it. Not much hops at all, and an overall fairly bland finish. Drink it cold, of course.

Mouthfeel: Very watery and light with low and slightly astringent carbonation levels. But you really don't sip this with a cigar in front of the fire.

Drinkability: Yes, it's easy to tank this and say it's awful, etc. etc. But it's something I do like to drink during summer every once in a while. Like I said, if you're sipping this in front of a fire with a cigar, something's wrong, but if you're hanging out with folks who aren't craft beer fans and are grilling out, I see nothing wrong with it.

06-05-2006 22:56:23 | More by asabreed
Omniscia

Vermont

1.13/5  rDev -51.1%

Forgive me, for I have no lime with which to cloud my judgment of this "beer"...

That said, what the heck is this? It's clearer and thinner than water, has no discernable smell, and tastes like flat club soda! You call this beer?

Despite it being in a clear bottle, I don't detect any skunkiness. But then, I don't detect much of anything! As far as I know, it could just be tap water with a few drops of yellow food coloring added...

I'm taking it on faith that there's some malt, or other fermentable sugar, in here somewhere. As for the hops, I guess they just don't grow that far south, otherwise they'd have included some, right? You call this beer?

No wonder everyone's trying to get over the border.

05-27-2006 05:08:44 | More by Omniscia
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.