Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
beertaster13

Washington

1.5/5  rDev -34.8%

Corona Extra is awful for a couple of reasons. It is 7 to 8 bucks for a six pack, that is rediculous for a crappy beer. I can't believe this beer does so well. It almost needs two categories with lime and without it. No beer should need a lime to make better, this beer however does. This review is based on no lime. Corona pours a light yellow with no head, little lacing, the aroma is a little skunky and the taste is watery and flat, hints of sourness as well. Feels flat and dull and light in the mouth. The drinkability is a 2 here because on a hot day with lime you can pound these. With a lime the drink may be a 3. Only time you should be drinking this, on a hot beach in mexico, even then casta would be better.

02-26-2004 00:33:14 | More by beertaster13
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.9/5  rDev -17.4%

No limes were harmed in the consumption of this beer. Yellow in color, not quite dark enough to be considered amber. The head is bright white and foamy, falls quickly to a barely covering film and leaves next to no lace.

The nose is on the nasty side; sort of a sour, spoiled grain-like smell. Believe it or not, the beer actually smells a little like a skunk, though I don't think that it's actually skunked. I've had it before and it doesn't seem any different now.

The flavor isn't much better. It's a watery, sour, grainy melange that goes down pretty easily. Corona Extra seems to be a small cut above the American macros (especially the light/lite beers) in that it doesn't make me grimace and feel like spitting it out. It might be tolerable if it was ice cold and I was near death from dehydration.

I never put anything in my beer such as fruit or fruit juice, but might make an exception if Corona Extra was the only thing available. Equal parts beer and lime juice might make it palatable. Or not.

02-25-2004 18:13:53 | More by BuckeyeNation
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

2.25/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a mexican brewed beer, 330ml

Comes in a clear bottle, the beer pours very clear with little colouration

The beer is reasonably simple in taste, with a slight maltiness to it

An ok bar drink,inoffensive, however, when there are many substitutes from europe which beat it hands down it doesnt stand a chance

02-15-2004 00:09:46 | More by cypressbob
vwahaszee

Quebec (Canada)

1.83/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected more from this beer, since some of my friends said it was good, but now it's my list of those to avoid. The head comes and goes very quickly, and the smell is that of a skunk that reminds me of driving on the highway. The taste was skunky and watery as well. I tried it with a lime and found it bearable after I had already had a significant amount to drink, and the beer simply tasted watery at that point.

02-12-2004 21:51:23 | More by vwahaszee
genaro

2.13/5  rDev -7.4%

Corona extra came in a clear bottle. The color was clear light gold. The head vanished quickly and there was no lace. The aroma was skunky and grainy. The taste was really bland - coarse corn malt with only a little hop bite. There was very little body and not too much carbonation.
The finish was slightly dry with no sweetness. Over all a meek, watery beer to quench one's thirst.

02-10-2004 19:48:33 | More by genaro
kwalters

2.73/5  rDev +18.7%

Let's face it, Corona is more about "Changes in lattitudes, changes in attitudes" than it is about enjoying a great beer. I'm ok with that. If I'm sitting on a beach some where south of the border and the sun is hot, I'm not about to complain about a cold cerveza hand delivered to my cabana in a bucket of ice with five buddies.

Yes, it's pale yellow. No, it doesn't have much of a smell. Yes, it skunks easily. The limes and lemons actually work with this beer. They add flavor and tropical appeal. I won't put limes in any other brew, but I do enjoy them in my Corona.

Another nostalgic beer that survives on an exotic image.

02-06-2004 21:34:44 | More by kwalters
francisweizen

Alaska

2.55/5  rDev +10.9%

Corona in Mexico at an outside bar in Tijuana. A clear golden colour with the light smells of malts, hops, and various grains and adjuncts. The taste is light and like water and the mouthfeel is too thin but the drinkability and refreshment are pretty darn good. A bad beer, but made good in the right situations. Still who can justify the $11 a 12pack price tag, than again in Mexico it goes for about 80cents or less a draught. All image...no taste.

F

01-21-2004 18:46:29 | More by francisweizen
HochFliegen

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev -4.3%

There really isnt much to say about this beer. The color is yellow with no head or lacing. The smell is not very strong couldnt really detect hops maybe a little malt smell to it. The taste was very plain as well with no mouthfeel, was like drinking water. On the drinkability aspect it was quite easy to drink since it is like water.

01-12-2004 19:13:31 | More by HochFliegen
garymuchow

2.68/5  rDev +16.5%

I'm not big on the marketing, and this is certainly more popular than it should be, but it's not the worse thing I've had either. It actually went well with the salad I was eating.
My dad told me that in the late 50's he lived in Fairfield CA (I lived their briefly as a newborn) and this was considered "cheap Mexican beer" and it could be bought for less than $1/case. Shows what marketing can do.
Aroma is sweet light malt that's slightly pungent.
Clear yellow-gold with rising bubbles, white head with some lacing.
Mix of soft malt and hoppy bitterness. Low overall flavor.
Soft feel and only somewhat thirst quenching (in crispness) and watery.
There are so many better, but many worse too.

01-08-2004 21:32:19 | More by garymuchow
DESTRO

Nevada

2.53/5  rDev +10%

whilst out gambling at the suncoast today the cocktail waitress brought me one of these bad boys. pale yellow with a lime shoved down the neck. smells a lil funky and basically like a lame beer. taste? whats up corn flakes! watered down, corny, but yet i found it drinkable. thin in the mouth, maybe it was the fact i was losing at blackjack and it made me feel better but this wasnt the "worst" beer ive ever had.

01-07-2004 08:53:13 | More by DESTRO
Foxman

2.23/5  rDev -3%

It pours the palest of yellows, weak to say the least, The white head is there and gone, like a meteor shower, but less fun to watch.

It smells like what beer would smell like if we didn't want beer to smell much. Yeast, in a low dose, and a grainy scent of what comes close to corn.

Ahhhh yes, corn again. Though, to be fair, it doesn't taste like you bit into an ear. Rather, it's what you expect the water you boiled the corn in to taste like, only a lot colder, assuming you served it wisely. I tried it without the lime, then with the lime. Without, I tasted weak corn beer. With, I tasted lime and weak corn beer.

It's yellow water, with some semblance of beer character.

OK, look, you can truly drink a whole lot of these, especially on a damned hot day with a wedge of lime floating in the ice cold bottle. And I guess on some level there are days I might actually enjoy the feeling of sucking down a citrus flavored alcoholic beverage labeled as beer. But man, I just can't be as gracious as to give this beer anything more than it deserves, which is a rating of sub-mediocre, because where I come from, flavor actually counts for something, and I'm not talking about the slug of fruit I'm jamming down the neck of the bottle!

01-05-2004 00:05:56 | More by Foxman
Globetrotter

1.95/5  rDev -15.2%

Well, I'm starting to run out of beers to try in the Moscow market, so I picked up a Corona. Enticing clear 33cl bottle, average label featuring a crown and a couple of winged lizards. The ingredients list on the Russian label does not repeat NOT include corn. Just ascorbic acid. I couldn't figure out the freshness info.

Pours a clear greenish yello under a thin white head with no retention to speak of and no body. The nose reminds me of sour cabbage. The mouth is very light and prickly. The taste is hard to figure, because the carbonation dominates everything. There really isn't much up front. Not even corn. The finish has a surprisingly good, crisp hoppy bite, but mild is the operative word here. There is basically no aftertaste. I've had a lot of more vile Soviet beers, but ultimately this brew deserves its bad rep.

12-25-2003 13:14:26 | More by Globetrotter
Stingray5

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

It was a choice between this, a Rolling Rock and a Bass. I chose the Corona purely for scientific research.

Findings were consistent with those of the popular opinion - corn, and lots of it. Corn in the aroma, corn in the taste. corn in the finish. Now, I like corn, and I like beer. But I do not like this corn-in-beer, Sam I am.

redeeming qualities were the appearance and mouthful, both more substantial than expected. But when it comes right down to it, If beer looks good but does not taste good, well, then hang it on the wall and call it art. But do not expect me to allow it into my body. Never again.

12-25-2003 03:47:50 | More by Stingray5
joecast

Australia

2.38/5  rDev +3.5%

hmm, hard to rate this one. how do i say better than crown but not as good as heineken??

aroma is present but just noticable.

i am guessing people add lemon/lime to compliment the citric flavor already present. i suppose if you like that, you will like this beer.

doesnt leave much of an impression, as it is just another average pale lager.

12-23-2003 12:05:36 | More by joecast
Jables

1.65/5  rDev -28.3%

This was my first time drinking this.

Pours fizzy yellow w/ soapy white foam (that I won't call head it disappeared so fast) that dissipates quickly.
The smell is flat, empty and unappealing.
Started out with slight sweet flavors but is quickly o'ertaken by adjuncty notes that dominate. The mouthfeel is thin and unworthy.

I didn't enjoy this one at all. It is one of those beers that makes you say "Hey Barkeep, somebody pissed in my water!"
On a positive note: the bottle was not skunked, as I've been warned about.

12-20-2003 03:40:45 | More by Jables
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle - This one needs to be drink on the beach during hot summer days with lime. I see no other purpose or reason to drink this. Also, ensure it is fresh because the skunky taste will overpower everything else about this beer. I guess this might be a result of using a clear bottle.

12-15-2003 15:19:12 | More by Phyl21ca
DrunkMcDermott

1.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Well, served at a bar so it may have been kept in a carton and not light-struck, since it's not as sucky as I'd expect. It is just a little bit maltier than most American megabrews. So I'll at least rate it a little above the average swill. As you might guess, the was the most exotic “import” the bar had.

12-08-2003 14:32:12 | More by DrunkMcDermott
shirfan

2.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another post-byob inhabitant of my fridge, the four Rogue bombers I just picked up felt they should be the only painted-labels in residence, and I was happy to oblige.

Pale yellow, with quickly vanishing head, this had no aroma. Flavor was thin, light, and watery. I believe this beer wanted to be skunked, but lacked enough hops to really do so. In its defense, there were no off flavors...but there were no on flavors either. Slightly sweet malt, a metallic twang in the finish, and mucho water. Thank god I didn't pay for this; there's no way it should cost more than the most humble Stroh's or Genny.

12-06-2003 18:51:30 | More by shirfan
WesWes

3.4/5  rDev +47.8%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a spotty lace head. The smell is weak, but pleasant. There is a faint odor of pale malts. The taste is watery and ordinary. It has that Mexican beer taste to it. I'm not exactly sure how that's acheived. It is a low bodied beer that is easy to drink, just not too enjoyable. As far as commercial imports are concerned; this is one of the better ones.

12-01-2003 02:35:48 | More by WesWes
JohnnyDuvel

1.7/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

it's hard to beleive that,for a while, this was my favorite beer (when I first moved to Florida). It is clearly all image. I poured it into a glass (my first mistake). Very weak appearance. Grainy, corn-like aroma. Taste-wise, nothing. Not bad, just nothing. Refreshing? Maybe, if on the beach (with a lime!?). Otherwise, worse than the "big three". No redeeming qualities at all.

11-24-2003 04:07:19 | More by JohnnyDuvel
surfmeister

3.5/5  rDev +52.2%

This beer must be evaluated for what it sets out to be...a refreshing hot weather thirst quencher. That said let's start with the aroma, corny yes, skunky no. This smell I find to be one of the charming things about this beer and I NEVER drink it with a lime! The carbonation level is appropriate for a easy drinking lager and drinkability is this beers' strongest point, smooth mouthfeel. I believe that some of the "unique" aromas and flavors that emanate from this brew are due to adjuncts, namely corn. But I have always found them pleasant and what gives Corona it's appeal. I've been drinking it it for about 30 years, way before the yuppies discovered it and started shoving limes down it's throat. My advice, don't be bullied by the ale snobs into calling every yellow beer "flavorless". Enjoy sublety and loosen up a little.

11-12-2003 19:10:44 | More by surfmeister
Rumrunner

1.9/5  rDev -17.4%

From notes. Drank while on vacation at Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
The resort I stayed at must have a deal with Grupo Modelo. The only beers offered at the resort were; Corona Extra on tap, Negra Modelo on tap and Modelo in cans in the rooms refridgerator. Not beer heaven.

The first time I have ever had this beer on tap. I always tell the bartender, "no lime." I really do not like lime in any beer.

This is still a very weak beer in my opinion. On tap was somewhat better than the bottle. Not much though.

Pours a hazy golden straw color. A bit of a head but it leaves quickly. Some lacing but that quickly disappears as well. The scents are dry and sweet. Some corn with a damp hay and wheat smell. A bit of a dry sour hop for the finish. The scents are weak and they do not blend well together.

The flavors do not blend well either. A dry wheat starts the flavors off. A bit of a mild uninspired fruit hop. Some sweet corn and and a dry uneven spice. Note: Why this is better than the bottle? The bottle has a sour finish. The draft does not. The flavors are still weak and not balanced at all. I think the reason people put limes in this beer is to give it some flavor.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery. There is no body what so ever. It does have some refreshing qualities to the drinkability. But refreshing could pertain to a glass of water. On a hot, humid summer day this will cool a person down. I know people who drink this beer and their reasons are based on the fact that a person can drink them non-stop. Why would you want to is what I ask them?

Overall this is one of the worst beers in creation. If this was the bottle version I would have given it an even worse review.

11-04-2003 22:58:33 | More by Rumrunner
theozag

Louisiana

2.03/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer has marginally more taste and substance to offer than its widespread little cousin - Corona Light. Appearance is very similar however, being also a paint-yellow, transparent beer with vey little shock white head. The head, by the way, lasts only a few seconds after you've finished pouring out your pint. Smell is dismal inasmuch as it is practically nonexistent. Starts slightly oily and bland. Settles light-bodied and wet with a fairly simplistic pallete. I believe the flavor is something akin to that of a young cheese with some lemon or other fruit mixed in. Finishes almost totally clean with just a drop of hop bitters and an unpleasant but mercifully short-lived aftertaste.

- Correction of beer name: In October 2003, I incorrectly reviewed "Corona Light" as "Corona Extra". I have since tried Corona Extra, transplanted the previous review to its proper place, and edited this review to cover the correct beer. -

10-25-2003 14:56:59 | More by theozag
Edwin

2.15/5  rDev -6.5%

I have finally found a way to get rich quick: Cut out 95% of all ingredients in a beer, add more water, charge insane amounts of money for it. Heineken is a bad enough joke on society...do we really need THIS??

Appearance - Freaking hilarious. Yellow and watered down like bad lemonade. Clear bottle actually reveals how clear and uninviting this beer is.

Smell - Drink it with a lime...so it hides the corn-laden hint of odor. Actually the lime is a great diversion.

Taste - Tastes like Aquafina. Nothing here. Maybe a hint of corn. Again, the lime is redeeming factor here.

Mouthfeel - I have yet to find one.

Drinkability - Awesome. This is a dream if you are partying all night. You can drink bottle after bottle and not feel a thing. You may not get a religious experience, but you'll be able to hang all night and not be weighed down.

Overall: I don't know which is worse, that this is actually considered "good beer" by the majority in his country, or that there is actually a Corona LIGHT?!?!? It is a fun summer beer but nothing to speak of cotnained within.

10-20-2003 23:14:26 | More by Edwin
CBFanWish

1.18/5  rDev -48.7%

If you have to put a lime in it to taste good, it has to be bad. I had two of these. One with a lime and one without. First thing is first. Beer should never come in a clear bottle. Someone should tell the fine folks at Corona this. The color of the beer was kind if a neon yellow with no head. Off to a bad start. The smell was that of rice and bad skunk which is what I also got from the taste. I put in a couple lime wedges and they did little to mask the flavor. Ok, it did look cool when the lime was dropped in. it fizzed. I'm sorry, Mexico, your #1 beer failed.

10-09-2003 23:46:36 | More by CBFanWish
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.